PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

drummerboy
12/10/2011, 4:55 PM
Kerr got a raw deal from Delaney. His father was a Belfast man. Good option for NI and would be able to persuade some of the defectors.

geysir
12/10/2011, 7:51 PM
Kerr did not poach players from NI,
he was
"merely embracing those who express an interest in playing for the Republic and who satisfy the eligibility criteria".

DannyInvincible
12/10/2011, 8:24 PM
Wasn't Kerr the man accused of phoning Chris Baird?

geysir
12/10/2011, 11:08 PM
He was merely informing Chris of his options as a dual citizen, not trying to guide him in any particular direction.
or
The FAI made me do it.

DannyInvincible
13/10/2011, 2:14 AM
Just noticing a thread on OWC dedicated to Shamrock Rovers player, Conor McCormack, highlighting his apparent eligibility to play for NI. McCormack played for us at international level from under-15s through to under-19s, captaining us along the way, although he was born in Newry, according to the poster, despite other sources saying he's a Dundalk-native. He's a player I've been very impressed with any time I've seen him play and I reckon he has a bright future ahead of him. They're certainly stepping up the chase for our kids then! It's all this speculation on that forum that really gets me though... :rolleyes:

DannyInvincible
13/10/2011, 4:31 AM
Here's Sunday's radio programme. It is on BBC's iplayer so I'm not sure you can listen outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b015qy2q/Does_the_Cap_Fit/

Cheers for the link. Just getting an opportunity to have a listen and straight away we have Jim Shaw rambling on about the four eligibility criteria contained within a completely irrelevant article which exists as an exception to the general principle. Eligibility is also a question of passports, apparently, without any reference to a statute mentioning anything to do with passports. In fairness, at least McNamee (?) acknowledges that Irish citizenship has been open to northern-born Irish nationals since the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, but he then goes on to state that the Good Friday Agreement made the theoretical a practical reality, for some reason, when we all know that northern-born Irish nationals have played for Ireland in the years prior to its passing. Gibson most certainly wasn't the "trailblazer". Sure the IFA themselves complained about the eligibility of northern-born Irish nationals as far as as 1994.

One thing I really can't fathom; where on earth has this idea that a player can only switch association up until the age of 28? Even Jim Boyce (the, err, vice-president of FIFA) is spouting this garbage. The vox pops around 9:33 are similarly idiotic - no changes there - but you'd expect better from the vice-president of FIFA.

Interestingly, Darron Gibson's uncle, Paul McLaughlin states that it was he who phoned up Brian Kerr alerting him to Gibson's interest in playing for us. It's a bit rich Armstrong accusing the FAI of being "morally wrong" by "tapping up" players and putting "undue pressure" on young players when he's engaged in the very same thing himself as a matter of professional duty. Does he have any actual evidence of the FAI doing this anyway? Interesting that he states that he's been "led to believe" that this is the case: "I think there have been cases where the player has been approached"; far from adamant or certain. Ergo, he hasn't a clue whether it's happening or not. What's the moral problem with offering a young lad an opportunity anyway? I thought NI fans wanted them to make their decision at as young an age as possible? Damned if you do and damned if you don't is how it seems to me.

Looking forward to seeing how Jim Boyce gets on with convincing others within FIFA that the statutes need changed...

ArdeeBhoy
13/10/2011, 7:55 AM
That's odd.

Allow me to remind you what you stated.

"Part of the reason he left Celtic was the treatment he endured from 'fellow' unionists!"

PS. I was previously unaware that Martin was a "unionist" - you learn something new every day.

Clearly you struggle* NB when it comes to matters of understanding the 'Ingerlish' language, though I do admit ambiguity in that sentence.
Perhaps insert the word 'your' between 'from' & 'fellow'...

Though it's not waffle. Just like MO'N's probably not a unionist.

*Either that or there's something wrong with the unionist 'education' system...
;)

BonnieShels
13/10/2011, 8:31 AM
Insert "your" maybe?

ArdeeBhoy
13/10/2011, 9:02 AM
Doh!

I blame being 'educated' in the North.

Predator
13/10/2011, 9:40 AM
Just noticing a thread on OWC dedicated to Shamrock Rovers player, Conor McCormack, highlighting his apparent eligibility to play for NI. McCormack played for us at international level from under-15s through to under-19s, captaining us along the way, although he was born in Newry, according to the poster, despite other sources saying he's a Dundalk-native. He's a player I've been very impressed with any time I've seen him play and I reckon he has a bright future ahead of him. They're certainly stepping up the chase for our kids then! It's all this speculation on that forum that really gets me though... :rolleyes:Well as all fair minded people know, in the name of all that's morally just and fair, by the grace of God, he should be playing for the country of his birth. The immoral and devilish FAI have been an obstacle to this man's destiny as a born Ulsterman.

ArdeeBhoy
13/10/2011, 10:02 AM
Hang on, it depends where in Ulster...
:rolleyes:

Predator
13/10/2011, 10:16 AM
Look, Gerry Messiah says that under FIFA rules you should be playing for your country of birth. He has returned to deliver the chosen people to the promised land.

ArdeeBhoy
13/10/2011, 10:24 AM
Ah, ok.

So will that mean the North returning all their players to the, er, mainland??

And Germany, Norway, Zambia et al...

Predator
13/10/2011, 10:40 AM
What is right for the chosen is not right for the gentiles. Remember that. :)

Sincerest apologies for any confusion caused by my above ramblings, but, you get the point.

Mr_Parker
13/10/2011, 10:46 AM
Looking forward to seeing how Jim Boyce gets on with convincing others within FIFA that the statutes need changed...

I'll be having a word... :)

dantheman
14/10/2011, 9:15 AM
Look, Gerry Messiah says that under FIFA rules you should be playing for your country of birth. He has returned to deliver the chosen people to the promised land.

Gerry Armstrong is a wise man.

There's a recession on and being an Our Wee Country man pays the bills.

All he has to do is fly around a bit and spout a few cliches that the IFA/News Letter want to hear and he gets paid at the end of the month.

Mr_Parker
29/10/2011, 9:12 AM
I know he has a lot of 'fans' on here, so some might be interested in following him...

http://twitter.com/#!/PaulFergusonSL

Paul Ferguson
@PaulFergusonSL Belfast, Northern Ireland
Sports Editor of Northern Ireland's biggest and best Sunday newspaper - Sunday Life. Views are my own!

DannyInvincible
07/11/2011, 3:32 AM
'IFA step up bid to prevent defection to FAI': http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/61996/

Sports News Ireland has learned that former Northern Ireland international Gerry Armstrong will visit St. Columb’s College in Derry this coming week in what appears to be a PR venture. The school, which is one of the largest Catholic boys’ schools in Europe is the alma mater of a number of renowned sportsmen, including former Celtic manager, Martin O’Neill.

Hands off our kids!

SwanVsDalton
07/11/2011, 9:38 AM
Knowing first-hand the average College boy reaction to visiting dignitaries such as Nobel Prize winners, I'd fear a bit for Gerry.

geysir
07/11/2011, 11:16 AM
Impeccable timing by Gerry, the kids can ask him about our chances in the play offs.

Charlie Darwin
07/11/2011, 1:51 PM
I wonder if the Elite Player Nentor will sit in on an English class while he's there.

SwanVsDalton
07/11/2011, 2:15 PM
I wonder if the Elite Player Nentor will sit in on an English class while he's there.

He could use sitting in on a couple of history lessons too, clean up his GFA understanding.

Sullivinho
07/11/2011, 2:39 PM
'IFA step up bid to prevent defection to FAI': http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/61996/

Hands off our kids!

Picked a great week for it. He'll have their full attention. I suggest friday, 20 minutes before closing for maximum s**ts n' giggles.

ifk101
07/11/2011, 2:48 PM
I'm sure Gerry will be watching the game and cheering us on. He's only going to Derry to soak up the atmosphere.

French Toasht
07/11/2011, 3:28 PM
Didn't Gerry used to work in a kind of consultancy role for the FAI? I'm pretty sure during the Brian Kerr appointment process, he was on the selection panel.

Lionel Ritchie
07/11/2011, 9:17 PM
Didn't Gerry used to work in a kind of consultancy role for the FAI? I'm pretty sure during the Brian Kerr appointment process, he was on the selection panel. That was Brian Hamilton -who had harboured hopes of getting the gig himself til he realised he was kingmaker rather than king.

Didn't work out too bad for Brian though. I believe he's since worked as international football consultant to somewhere like St Kitts & Nevis*. Nice work if you can get it.

EDIT: *Technical director for Antigua and Barbuda

theworm2345
07/11/2011, 9:40 PM
That was Brian Hamilton -who had harboured hopes of getting the gig himself til he realised he was kingmaker rather than king.

Didn't work out too bad for Brian though. I believe he's since worked as international football consultant to somewhere like St Kitts & Nevis*. Nice work if you can get it.

EDIT: *Technical director for Antigua and Barbuda
I don't think Hamilton was the technical director for ABFA, technical advisor I think (which he still is) which I think implies less of a coaching role. Maybe earlier in his career he was. I know their last TD (as of about 2010) was Billy McEwan and currently its Tom Curtis who is also their head coach. He could be TD of their club team Antigua Barracuda though (which is basically their national team without their overseas-based players and is also coached by Curtis). Anyway he's done alright because they're a win (or two draws) away from going the farthest they ever have in World Cup Qualifying.

Scooby Doo
07/11/2011, 10:00 PM
Armstrong is a muppet.

Serious question: Is there anything to stop, say Packie Bonner or Paul McGrath visiting a place like St. Columb's to 'sell' playing for Ireland to the next generation. As an extension of this, could the FAI, in theory, set up training camps in the North?

Predator
07/11/2011, 10:34 PM
Armstrong is a muppet.

Serious question: Is there anything to stop, say Packie Bonner or Paul McGrath visiting a place like St. Columb's to 'sell' playing for Ireland to the next generation. As an extension of this, could the FAI, in theory, set up training camps in the North?If it was instigated by the FAI, I'm sure the IFA and their fans would have a grand whinge about it. Saying that, I'm sure St. Columb's could be instigators and arrange to have the likes of Packie Bonner, Darron Gibson and others speak to the students. Not that they'll really need to be spoken to.

awec
08/11/2011, 7:05 PM
If it was instigated by the FAI, I'm sure the IFA and their fans would have a grand whinge about it. Saying that, I'm sure St. Columb's could be instigators and arrange to have the likes of Packie Bonner, Darron Gibson and others speak to the students. Not that they'll really need to be spoken to.

Why do you say this?

Predator
08/11/2011, 8:12 PM
Why do you say this?I could be wrong, but I get the impression that Gerry is only visiting the college in order to dissuade players from wanting to play for the FAI. Some have suggested that the FAI counter this by having similar characters speak on their behalf, but I'm telling you, as a past pupil of St. Columb's, that I doubt that young men from St Columb's will need to be persuaded to play for the FAI in the way it appears that some need to be to play for the IFA.

DannyInvincible
08/11/2011, 10:21 PM
I could be wrong, but I get the impression that Gerry is only visiting the college in order to dissuade players from wanting to play for the FAI. Some have suggested that the FAI counter this by having similar characters speak on their behalf, but I'm telling you, as a past pupil of St. Columb's, that I doubt that young men from St Columb's will need to be persuaded to play for the FAI in the way it appears that some need to be to play for the IFA.

I recall that chap who did 'Does the Cap Fit?' for BBC Radio Ulster visited St. Columb's to find that one pupil out of a sample of 45 raised his hand in support of NI whilst the remaining 44 raised theirs in support of Ireland. In my own time at the college, I don't think I encountered anyone who supported the IFA team, so I suppose you could say things are on the up for the IFA in that neck of the woods...

geysir
08/11/2011, 11:25 PM
to find that one pupil out of a sample of 45 raised his hand in support of NI .
If Gerry does manage to raise the IFA support level by 100%, I suppose he'll be putting in a bonus claim.

ArdeeBhoy
09/11/2011, 1:52 AM
From 0 to 1 is 100%??
;)

gastric
09/11/2011, 2:43 AM
Jeez, this thread has gone quiet! What we need is a NI player to declare for us to get the OWC boys back on board. If we qualify for the Euros, maybe more players will come join.

BonnieShels
09/11/2011, 8:26 AM
International week is when this thread gets most active. Cannot wait to feel the bile drenching forth from the OWC crew should we be successful in Friday.

geysir
09/11/2011, 9:44 AM
From 0 to 1 is 100%??
;)
Smartaass :)
from 1 to 2 is 100%

Not Brazil
09/11/2011, 10:09 AM
International week is when this thread gets most active. Cannot wait to feel the bile drenching forth from the OWC crew should we be successful in Friday.

I think you'll find that the "hard core" OWCers will be secretly quite happy for you to reach the Finals - it'll give them at least three teams to cheer on next summer.

Predator
09/11/2011, 10:18 AM
I think you'll find that the "hard core" OWCers will be secretly quite happy for you to reach the Finals - it'll give them at least three teams to cheer on next summer.Yeah but then there is the hard "hardcore", members of which hold a deep contempt for all things "Republic of Ireland". They see qualification as another blow in the plot against the IFA, as it might lead to more players declaring for the FAI.

ifk101
09/11/2011, 10:26 AM
I think you'll find that the "hard core" OWCers will be secretly quite happy for you to reach the Finals - it'll give them at least three teams to cheer on next summer.

...presuming the mainland is drawn in our group.

Not Brazil
09/11/2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah but then there is the hard "hardcore", members of which hold a deep contempt for all things "Republic of Ireland". They see qualification as another blow in the plot against the IFA, as it might lead to more players declaring for the FAI.

Indeed.

"The end is nigh" Brigade never fail to deliver.

drummerboy
09/11/2011, 11:06 AM
I indeed remember watching NI playing in World Cups in the early 80s. They were my adopted team for those tournaments. We spoke a lot down here about a United Ireland team. Something which is hardy ever mentioned nowadays despite the vastly improved relationships between the two countries. I guess it will never happen.

BonnieShels
09/11/2011, 11:14 AM
What "two" countries?

drummerboy
09/11/2011, 12:10 PM
What "two" countries?

Opps, how about two associations!!!!

Gather round
09/11/2011, 12:32 PM
What "two" countries?

Come on, North and South Sudan. De two separated by de Niile.

BonnieShels
09/11/2011, 12:41 PM
Come on, North and South Sudan. De two separated by de Niile.

There is no North Sudan funnily enough.

BonnieShels
09/11/2011, 12:42 PM
Opps, how about two associations!!!!

I can accept that. Just.

dantheman
09/11/2011, 2:31 PM
Our Wee Gerry was on Radio Ulster Talkback earlier, you can listen here (http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/northernireland/talkback/talkback_20111109-1200a.mp3).

Be warned, its an appallingly informed discussion!

Sullivinho
09/11/2011, 2:40 PM
"I can't change people's minds. If there's a boy that wants to play for the Republic there's absolutely nothing I can do if he's determined and he and his family wants that."

Deplorable apathy.

DannyInvincible
09/11/2011, 4:10 PM
Our Wee Gerry was on Radio Ulster Talkback earlier, you can listen here (http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/northernireland/talkback/talkback_20111109-1200a.mp3).

Be warned, its an appallingly informed discussion!

Cheers for that.

Slightly rich to hear Gerry yapping on about making a decision over who to play for at the age of 16, 17 or 18 as being too young during a visit to St. Columb's aimed at persuading youngsters to play for the IFA.

And he'd rather players left any such decision until they are 21? Surely that's not a popular opinion amongst NI fans.

As for Thomas, that first caller...