PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

Predator
03/03/2012, 9:32 PM
The Cregganite's words contrast starkly to the words of the Eglintonian. You win some, you lose some.

I haven't seen Ferguson play at left back but I thought he was a tremendous little winger. At the minute though, he sees McGeady, Duff, Hunt, Fahey and now McClean (not to mention Robbie Brady) in front of him in the pecking order. Still glad to see a Derry man doing well for himself.

DannyInvincible
03/03/2012, 9:50 PM
The senior international recognition of local talent (players from the area or ones who formerly played with Derry City) lately has been great to witness; McCourt, McGinn and Ferguson with the IFA and Gibson, McClean, Duffy and Forde with the FAI.

DannyInvincible
03/03/2012, 10:00 PM
Not to forget Éamon Zayed, of course!

Predator
03/03/2012, 10:09 PM
Michael O'Neill is lining up a prime poached goalkeeper in Gerard Doherty too it seems, while Daniel Lafferty could soon be in contention for one of those left back spots.

gastric
03/03/2012, 10:28 PM
Michael O'Neill is lining up a prime poached goalkeeper in Gerard Doherty too it seems, while Daniel Lafferty could soon be in contention for one of those left back spots.

I am shocked by the possibility of Doherty representing NI. Didn't he represent us at U18 level? What was his 'boyhood dream' then? Maybe counselling is needed as he seems confused about his nationality!

DannyInvincible
03/03/2012, 10:53 PM

Funnily enough, last weekend I was in a taxi here in Manchester and, as you do, got talking to the driver about where I was from and all that. As it so often does in these situations, discussion turned to football after he made a connection and mentioned that he'd driven Danny Lafferty to Burnley just the day before. Seems he'd been picking him up fairly frequently since his move from Derry. I was going to ask him to pass on a message, but you know how it is; I'd only have left myself open to accusations of intimidation, threatening behaviour, underhand FAI activity and being a poaching-enabler...

It transpired the driver had also picked up Chris McCann, Edwin van der Sar and Stephen Ireland on occasion in the past. After having told me about driving Van der Sar to Liverpool Airport once, he then proceeded to ridicule the "£100,000-a-week" player for catching the £25 EasyJet flight to Amsterdam. He also said Stephen Ireland was a lovely fellow.

As they say, you learn something new every day.

ArdeeBhoy
04/03/2012, 12:24 AM
On the basis of this thread 'Doire' is surely the new Cork??

:eek:

Sullivinho
04/03/2012, 12:26 AM
I am shocked by the possibility of Doherty representing NI. Didn't he represent us at U18 level? What was his 'boyhood dream' then? Maybe counselling is needed as he seems confused about his nationality!

Boyhood dream ≠ adult reality.

ArdeeBhoy
04/03/2012, 12:29 AM
But like all those people a certain poster enquires about dream wise;did even his ma know??
;)

Sullivinho
04/03/2012, 12:33 AM
On the basis of this thread 'Doire' is surely the new Cork??

:eek:

On the basis that I drank earlier in the company of fellas who intend to pay the household charge...I'd say your hypothesis has merit.

Closed Account
04/03/2012, 1:46 AM
You can't go claiming David Forde DI, he's a connacht man, one of the very few. Him and Greg Cunningham and holding up West of the Shannon.

But fair play to Shane, hope he does well. He obviously had a problem with Worthington, and I'm glad he stuck to his guns and played for NI. They need good characters like him.

ArdeeBhoy
04/03/2012, 2:03 AM
But sure, it was only a friendly.

He can still change back...
;)

Runs...

DannyInvincible
04/03/2012, 3:31 AM
You can't go claiming David Forde DI, he's a connacht man, one of the very few. Him and Greg Cunningham and holding up West of the Shannon.

I stretched it a bit with McGinn too, in fairness. :o Rumour once had it that Fordey was actually Welsh.

Actually, a list of senior international players by county would be an interesting one. Which counties have never been represented at senior level?

But fair play to Shane, hope he does well. He obviously had a problem with Worthington, and I'm glad he stuck to his guns and played for NI. They need good characters like him.

Indeed, best of luck to him. For one thing, his example goes to show what a load of balls the alarmist "defections will spell the end of the cross-community nature of the NI team" claim is.

freewheel30
04/03/2012, 6:33 AM
Which counties have never been represented at senior level?

Thought about this before, still a good few by my reckoning . . .

Kerry, Clare, Mayo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Offaly, Laois, Kilkenny, Carlow, Kildare, Meath?

The nearest some counties seem to come is a qualifying grandparent (Liam Lawrence [Kerry], Paul Green [Mayo]).

AlaskaFox
04/03/2012, 8:48 AM

Kerry, Clare, Mayo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Offaly, Laois, Kilkenny, Carlow, Kildare, Meath?

The nearest some counties seem to come is a qualifying grandparent (Liam Lawrence [Kerry], Paul Green [Mayo]).

Sean St Ledger qualifies through his Carlow roots. His cousin Daniel plays for the Carlow football side.

freewheel30
04/03/2012, 9:18 AM

Sean St Ledger qualifies through his Carlow roots. His cousin Daniel plays for the Carlow football side.

Actually, what about all the Dublin-born players who would probably have parents from all over the country, and so a much closer link than grandparent. :o

Closed Account
04/03/2012, 11:11 AM
High hopes that Noe Baba is the first Castlebar man to make it. Can we(Mayo) claim him? Just had a training session with him actually. I'm 13 years older but he's about the same size. Touch of class about him even though he was probably only in 2nd gear.

Charlie Darwin
04/03/2012, 11:22 AM
I see #Irish Eunan O'Kane scored the winner for Torquay against Crawley. Certainly seems to have outgrown League 2.

Olé Olé
04/03/2012, 11:59 AM

Both of Kevin Foley's parents are from Kerry. Same with Gary Breen (well at least one is from Beaufort, probably the other). Gary Doherty's mother is from Ballyheigue in north Kerry, as far as I know. Actually, Andy Townsend qualified through a Kerry-bornn grandmother.

Don't think we have had any senior internationals born and bred in Kerry. The closest have been Brendan Moloney, Diarmuid O'Carroll and the Dennehy brothers (Billy and Darren) getting capped at under 21 level in the last few years.

Our most likely prospect seems to be John Egan, even though he was born in Cork, he's still son of a Kerry great with the same name.

Charlie Darwin
04/03/2012, 12:04 PM
Tony O'Connell is the only Kerryman to have played for Ireland in a Euro qualifier vs Spain in 1966.

freewheel30
04/03/2012, 3:37 PM
Laois off the list as well actually

http://www.laoistalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Byrne_(footballer)

DannyInvincible
04/03/2012, 4:07 PM
Stephen Hunt was born in Laois.

DannyInvincible
04/03/2012, 4:14 PM
Do the FAI employ a policy of non-selection of Leitrim-born players then? Decades of practice would appear to indicate they do.[/strictly parody]

freewheel30
04/03/2012, 4:18 PM
Hunt's "Laoisness" is being discussed in the first link above, but the fact he didn't grow up there means some people (like some of the thread posters) might not see him as a fully-fledged Laois native.

ifk101
05/03/2012, 9:10 AM
Interestingly, he makes it pretty clear that the desire to play for Ireland came from McClean's side and that Quinn contacted the FAI on the player's behalf to alert them to his ambition.

Taken from the McClean thread but is it not really a massive let down to know that the poaching of McClean went this way and not as follows ....

"Heard an interesting story about James McLean from a very reliable source prior to his switch to the FAI. Not only pressure from the FAI but pressure from other bodies and groups." http://niandthebeautifulgame.weebly.com/1/post/2012/01/ifa-have-serious-fight-on-their-hands-to-keep-young-stars.html#comments

Edit: very reliable source, who could it be?

Predator
06/03/2012, 12:36 PM
Edit: very reliable source, who could it be?The voice inside Sam's head?

Sullivinho
06/03/2012, 1:29 PM
Edit: very reliable source, who could it be?

Baron Münchhausen.

Currently sporting a shiny new codpiece fashioned from some journo's credibility.

gastric
06/03/2012, 9:47 PM
Just thought I would throw this hand grenade in as it's gone quiet on here of late. And who are we to argue with Martin particularly if he finds out where you live!

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/mcguinness-calls-for-united-ireland-team-3041565.html

DannyInvincible
06/03/2012, 10:32 PM
Just thought I would throw this hand grenade in as it's gone quiet on here of late. And who are we to argue with Martin particularly if he finds out where you live!

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/mcguinness-calls-for-united-ireland-team-3041565.html

Meh, I guess the Independent can't have it looking like they're out of the loop on this one. Putting the all-island team twist on it must be their way of justifying publishing an article - in compliance with the rest of the media - about the complete non-story that was McGuinness attending Windsor Park last night along with a couple of hundred other Derry City fans.

The Derry Journal described his visit as "historic". It wasn't even his first time in Windsor Park... Not sure what the big fuss is all about. He was just there as another Derry fan in the stadium, Raymond McCartney seated beside him. If he had been in the stadium in an official capacity to support NI (or Saudi Arabia, Nigeria or Mexico :p) or to watch a NI match on an invite from the IFA, that might have been slightly more newsworthy.

Anyway, I don't know why people keep banging on about a single 'de jure' island team at this current point in time; we already have a 'de facto' all-island one. I've noticed Sinn Féin have been doing so quite a bit of late. I suppose it's an unconvincing attempt to reconcile Martin's prospective attendance at a NI game in the near future with Sinn Féin's republican principles. Of course, as much as people might long for it, the ideal is a complete non-starter for both legal and practical reasons. Do elements within either association want it? NI fans certainly don't want it. I dunno if even I would want it, to be honest. The prospect of Phil Coulter writing our new shared anthem really isn't all that appealing. Would other posters support the idea of a single island team at this current point in time in theory? There'll be a single island team when a united Ireland comes about, but it won't be before that.

I think we should do everything possible to take the politics out of sport. Talking as a sports fan, it is my very strong view that soccer on the island would be much better served if we had an all-Ireland league and one international team. But that is a matter for the footballing authorities. That's only my opinion as a true sports fan.

Taking politics out of sport wouldn't equate to having one island team; I imagine it would equate to having one global team.

BonnieShels
06/03/2012, 11:39 PM
Taking politics out of sport wouldn't equate to having one island team; I imagine it would equate to having one global team.

Everyone's a winner!

gastric
07/03/2012, 12:15 AM
While it is impossible to rid sports of politics, it is certainly an aspiration that is worth pursuing, particularly within an Irish context. This mixture has tended to create division and if last night's bus incident in Sligo was politically motivated, we have a long way to go.

Charlie Darwin
07/03/2012, 12:26 AM
There has been absolutely no indication whatsoever that what happened in Sligo was politically motivated. It was a robbery. If it had been politically motivated the thieves would have made a political statement.

DannyInvincible
07/03/2012, 12:52 AM
While it is impossible to rid sports of politics, it is certainly an aspiration that is worth pursuing, particularly within an Irish context. This mixture has tended to create division and if last night's bus incident in Sligo was politically motivated, we have a long way to go.

Cultural/political difference, or the acknowledgement of it, doesn't necessarily have to be divisive in the most malignant of senses. Nor does tackling division have to mean forcing everyone under the one umbrella. It's about people being mature enough to accept, respect and embrace difference and working from there. I have no urge to support NI or the IFA because I don't think they're relevant to me culturally; it doesn't mean I want to break into the next empty Glentoran supporters' bus I see, steal handbags and smear **** on the floor.

There has been absolutely no indication whatsoever that what happened in Sligo was politically motivated. It was a robbery. If it had been politically motivated the thieves would have made a political statement.

Under which category of statement would the smearing of **** on a bus floor fall?

Charlie Darwin
07/03/2012, 12:53 AM
Dirty protest?

Gather round
07/03/2012, 12:54 AM
Impressed in a 0-3 defeat. Who's he kidding?

DannyInvincible
07/03/2012, 1:02 AM
Impressed in a 0-3 defeat. Who's he kidding?

You referring to Shane Ferguson? Thought Martin McGuinness had lined out for yous for a second there!

Gather round
07/03/2012, 1:10 AM
The Indo' is talking rubbish, btw.

gastric
07/03/2012, 2:51 AM

While there is no doubt that a robbery did occur, the motive behind this has yet to be clarified. The extreme nature of what happened is disgraceful and I would be mortified if it was politically motivated.

Danny, in regards to my last post about politics in sport, what angers me is how soccer has been tainted by politics in NI, in a way that other sports have not had to experience. For example, rugby and golf seem to build bridges to some degree, while in soccer, the old divides continue to hold true. And this is the key to my ongoing frustration with many arguments on this thread.
As regards your comments about 'forcing everyone under one umbrella' I assume you are referring to Martin McGuinness!

DannyInvincible
08/03/2012, 12:24 AM
While there is no doubt that a robbery did occur, the motive behind this has yet to be clarified. The extreme nature of what happened is disgraceful and I would be mortified if it was politically motivated.

Obviously all just speculation, but if it was merely items stolen, it would be possible to construe it as an ordinary case of otherwise-unmotivated theft. I suspect, however, that the added smearing of **** on a bus floor (if it was indeed intentional) amounted to a message of sorts. Of course, it could have been a case of mindless vandalism for little other reason, but it's a peculiar way of going about it. You'd imagine it would require quite a degree of hostility to do something like that and, unfortunately, the most obvious explanation for any hostility would be a perception by those who perpetrated these acts of Glentoran as a club affiliated with the Protestant/unionist community. Maybe I'm being overly presumptuous and some people just get their kicks out of very, very simple pleasures these days...

Danny, in regards to my last post about politics in sport, what angers me is how soccer has been tainted by politics in NI, in a way that other sports have not had to experience. For example, rugby and golf seem to build bridges to some degree, while in soccer, the old divides continue to hold true. And this is the key to my ongoing frustration with many arguments on this thread.
As regards your comments about 'forcing everyone under one umbrella' I assume you are referring to Martin McGuinness!

I don't think rugby is immune from debate of a political nature now and again - I can see why northern unionists might feel that the IRFU's notion of compromise is a bit of a sham and why they might feel they're getting a raw deal as far as cultural representation goes, for example - and doesn't the question of Rory McIlroy's nationality crop up in golf now and again? I acknowledge your general point, however. I don't think these issues are as contentious and divisive for Irish rugby and golf followers as issues of politics and identity can be when it comes to football on the island. I'm not sure if you're blaming football though or northern politics. The social dynamics that surround the respective games are, admittedly, very different. Naturally, the course each sport takes will reflect that. Those following will be those who define. Division in Irish society, and obviously amongst those following the game of football especially, was what led to the creation of two football associations on the island; it wasn't the other way around. Thus, I think division in society, as the root cause, has to be tackled first if amalgamation is to be considered as a realistic possibility. Could forced amalgamation really build bridges or would it merely serve to foster further animosity and grievances over the dilution of identity and whatnot, for example?

The "umbrella" mention was a reference to those who would advocate trying to push or coerce the IFA and NI fans into a single island team against their wishes; not necessarily singling you out or anything in case you thought I was. If they don't want it, what can you do though other than trying to understand that, respecting it and letting them be?

gastric
08/03/2012, 5:24 AM
Good news for us, while NI falls in the rankings. The eligibilty issue and NI's inability to accommodate the Nationalist community may become an even bigger cause of consternation for some NI supporters.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-moves-up-to-19th-in-fifa-world-rankings-as-north-hits-new-low-3042837.html

Not Brazil
08/03/2012, 10:01 AM
The "umbrella" mention was a reference to those who would advocate trying to push or coerce the IFA and NI fans into a single island team against their wishes; not necessarily singling you out or anything in case you thought I was. If they don't want it, what can you do though other than trying to understand that, respecting it and letting them be?

I agree with this.

No need for a singular Ireland team....anybody born on the island can play for the FAI team, if they are so minded.

Judging by the sectarian chants of Derry City fans at Windsor Park on Monday, I'm not sure all of the South's fans would want To be united anyway.

The right of choice of those players who do not wish to play for the FAI team must be upheld and respected.

No to a singular All UK team either.

DannyInvincible
08/03/2012, 10:36 AM
Judging by the sectarian chants of Derry City fans at Windsor Park on Monday, I'm not sure all of the South's fans would want To be united anyway.

I was only able to watch a stream with poor enough image and sound quality. What was being sung?

Not Brazil
08/03/2012, 11:13 AM
I was only able to watch a stream with poor enough image and sound quality. What was being sung?

I'm not going to pretend I was offended by it.

I always have a wee chuckle when I see/hear Irish Tricolor waving folk chanting "dirty orange *******s".

I also have the same chuckle when I see Ulster Banner waving folk giving off about "Fenian *******s". I wager most of them haven't a clue who the red hand symbolises.

Apart from the bit of sectarianism, the Derry fans were great.

By the way, do you know if the National Flag ban at The Brandy has been lifted?

Charlie Darwin
08/03/2012, 11:22 AM
No, it hasn't been lifted. The Derry City twitter people said something on the night about how they were disappointed to see tricolours at Windsor Park because you'd never see it in the Brandywell.

DannyInvincible
08/03/2012, 11:29 AM
I'm not going to pretend I was offended by it.

I always have a wee chuckle when I see/hear Irish Tricolor waving folk chanting "dirty orange *******s".

I also have the same chuckle when I see Ulster Banner waving folk giving off about "Fenian *******s". I wager most of them haven't a clue who the red hand symbolises.

Ha, indeed.

By the way, do you know if the National Flag ban at The Brandy has been lifted?

The National Flag as in the tricolour? :P

I have no idea. I wouldn't imagine so, although I'm not sure the ban has always been applied consistently. I don't know if it's an actual ban on all national flags or just ones the club might deem contentious/unaffiliated to a particular team in certain circumstances. Maybe someone could clarify. I seem to recall one incident where the tricolour was removed from display after Sligo Rovers fans (I think) hung it on the barrier in front of them, but pretty sure I witnessed Shamrock Rovers fans displaying it on another occasion without any noticeable impediment at all. Maybe because they wear green and white? Or perhaps security weren't keen on interfering with a bunch of rowdy Rovers fans just off a 4-hour bus journey from Dublin... Why, you thinking of bringing your Union Jack to the return leg, hehe?

What's the official Linfield/Windsor Park position on flags?

DannyInvincible
08/03/2012, 11:41 AM
No, it hasn't been lifted. The Derry City twitter people said something on the night about how they were disappointed to see tricolours at Windsor Park because you'd never see it in the Brandywell.

Was that fans or an official club tweet? When Derry are representing the League of Ireland against a team from another league, the tricolour has often appeared at away games, although I'm not denying that there might have been another or added motive for waving the tricolour at this particular fixture. For me, it's much ado about nothing, however. Faux-sensitive individuals purporting to be offended by the national flags concerned whilst mouthing off expletives are the primary problem and the need for bans is a pretty sad reflection on societal progress. Whatever happened to the notions of tolerance and respect?

Not Brazil
08/03/2012, 6:38 PM
The National Flag as in the tricolour? :P

Why, you thinking of bringing your Union Jack to the return leg, hehe?

What's the official Linfield/Windsor Park position on flags?

I meant all National Flags - I thought they were banned at The Brandy.

I'm boycotting the return leg, so the Union Flag can stay in storage.

I'm sure some of those going to support the Blues will have their National Flag with them.

The policy at Windsor is it's not an issue...National Flags are not banned.

The National Flag of the United Kingdom is flown officially at Windsor all year, except for Northern Ireland matches.

Not Brazil
08/03/2012, 6:41 PM
I'm not denying that there might have been another or added motive for waving the tricolour at this particular fixture. For me, it's much ado about nothing, however.

Absolutely correct.

Derry City fans should be able to wave the Irish Tricolour wherever they want.

Nowadays, the sight of Tricolours at Windsor Park is commonplace, and causes little or no offence to anyone.

geysir
08/03/2012, 7:18 PM
The Scotsman (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/the-rumour-mill-thursday-s-football-news-and-gossp-1-2159626) reports that 'Scotland Under-21 defender Alex Pearce is to switch allegiances to the Irish national side'.
He's eligible for Scotland, England and Ireland. I presume though he's always wanted to play for us, more than any other.

DannyInvincible
08/03/2012, 9:31 PM
I meant all National Flags - I thought they were banned at The Brandy.

I dunno what the exact nature of the ban is or even if there's some formal arrangement there in writing. Maybe it's just informal, as it were; based on "common sense". Not sure either if all national flags are banned or just flags the the club might construe as contentious. I couldn't imagine them tearing down something identical to an Austrian flag, for example.

I'm boycotting the return leg, so the Union Flag can stay in storage.

Why the boycott? You'll have to get over Derry poaching Patterson at some point! :p

The policy at Windsor is it's not an issue...National Flags are not banned.

Had been told they were the other day by a Linfield fan, but I didn't think it added up given the many national flags on display the other night.

Nowadays, the sight of Tricolours at Windsor Park is commonplace, and causes little or no offence to anyone.

Soon, even the home fans will be waving them!

http://www.mikeoliveri.com/pics/burns.gif