PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

Predator
14/08/2011, 10:47 AM
Paul Rowan has a piece in the Sunday Times about how "more must be done to stem the flow" of Irish nationals playing for the Irish national team. He doesn't seem to make much of a point.

Gather round
14/08/2011, 11:26 AM
As he was already part of the IFA's set up why would he have quit that to needlessly get involved with the FAI's?

I don't know. Maybe he's confident of getting senior RoI caps, maybe he's getting a bit carried away by his transfer to England.

there's nothing to be gained by him quitting that set up at all

I'm talking about what's lost, not gained. For him, likelihood international football quite soon, for the NI side a useful squad member.

The next stage is what really matters

Both stages matter.

He was called into a squad for a team he had no intention of ever playing for

How do you know? Apart from the U-21 caps, were he as adamant as you claim presumably he'd have called NW immediately to correct any misunderstanding. Rather than wasting time for three days.

Why would we expect him to rush into it?

There'd be no need if (as you suggest above) he'd already made the decision.

The apoplectic nature of OWC fans responses to young Nationalists choosing to play for their country is quite something

Present company excepted, I hope? I'm quite sanguine about it. Although of course I'm disappointed by young NI players abandoning NI to play for other countries, particularly when they've already amassed numerous U-21 caps. And most irritatingly when they ar*se about, like McClean did after the squad was announced.

and doesn't lend itself to reversing this so called trend

Maybe not. I'm content to see how Armstrong gets on. And unlike some I'd prefer the IFA to have a good working relationship with the FAI. Even the latter continue to pick already capped NI players for their teams.

I wonder if the choices were between Scotland and the statelet would they react so vehemently against the decision to play for Ecosse

Ha ha. I imagine they'd be equally irritated; I certainly would. The closest recent, comparable example shows Scottish fans reacting thus when a couple of young players left for the RoI.

Not Brazil
14/08/2011, 11:42 AM
Playing for the U21's again and again wasn't going to affect his eligibility for his senior National team so there's nothing to be gained by him quitting that set up at all.
The next stage is what really matters.
He was called into a squad for a team he had no intention of ever playing for.

The "next stage" is that players thus minded have no stage with the IFA at Under 21 level - if they have "no intention" of ever playing for the senior team, they should be ignored or weeded out of our ranks.

If you don't want to carry through to senior international level, get out...now!

Not Brazil
14/08/2011, 11:44 AM
Ha ha. I imagine they'd be equally irritated; I certainly would. The closest recent, comparable example shows Scottish fans reacting thus when a couple of young players left for the RoI.

Aidan McGeady is hardly a "cult hero" amongst the Tartan Army.:D

ArdeeBhoy
14/08/2011, 12:09 PM
I don't know. Maybe he's confident of getting senior RoI caps, maybe he's getting a bit carried away by his transfer to England.
I'm talking about what's lost, not gained. For him, likelihood international football quite soon, for the NI side a useful squad member.Both stages matter.
How do you know? Apart from the U-21 caps, were he as adamant as you claim presumably he'd have called NW immediately to correct any misunderstanding. Rather than wasting time for three days.
There'd be no need if (as you suggest above) he'd already made the decision.
Nothing new to rehash then??

Although of course I'm disappointed by young NI players abandoning NI to play for other countries, particularly when they've already amassed numerous U-21 caps. And most irritatingly when they ar*se about, like McClean did after the squad was announced.

Presumably none of the North's fans complain when players eligible for them come in the other direction from other, er, jurisdictions....

And unlike some I'd prefer the IFA to have a good working relationship with the FAI. Even the latter continue to pick already capped NI players for their teams.
You mean players that are Eligible...
;)

The closest recent, comparable example shows Scottish fans reacting thus when a couple of young players left for the RoI.
Like who, exactly?

co. down green
14/08/2011, 1:13 PM
To the best of my knowledge, only two players have ever returned from the FAI to the IFA after failing to formalise a switch south because they failed to make a competitive appearance. They'd be Tony Kane and Michael O'Connor.

Kane didn't make it in England, he was released by Carlisle, played a few games for Cliftonville at the end of last season before signing a one year deal with Ballymena United

co. down green
14/08/2011, 1:38 PM
If Armstrong, or anyone, can address the problem of players effectively retiring (whether or not they have a realistic chance of playing for the RoI's senior team) it must be a good thing.

Armstrong's remit also involves scouring Australia, America, Britain etc.. looking for anyone with a link to the IFA team.

Is there any point in the IFA employing someone to persuade a few Northern born players to stay within the IFA set-up when their focus is firmly on bringing in players born from outside.

For example, half the North's U21 team that played on Wednesday night were born in England.

I saw a quote a couple of days ago from a family member of a player from the North who has opted to play for Ireland, who said that most of these young lads have never heard of Gerry Armstrong.

The IFA still don't seem to get it!

Gather round
14/08/2011, 2:08 PM
Is there any point in the IFA employing someone to persuade a few Northern born players to stay within the IFA set-up when their focus is firmly on bringing in players born from outside

Don't be silly. Their focus will always be mainly players from inside. Although they realise the need to be flexible and look outside too. I'd prefer we didn't cap people with England U-19 and U-21 caps, as I've said here repeatedly, but clearly that's a minority view now.

a family member of a player from the North who has opted to play for Ireland, who said that most of these young lads have never heard of Gerry Armstrong

Ha ha. Doesn't your mate or his young friends watch TV?

Mr_Parker
14/08/2011, 2:25 PM
Paul Rowan has a piece in the Sunday Times about how "more must be done to stem the flow" of Irish nationals playing for the Irish national team. He doesn't seem to make much of a point.

A scan tomorrow perhaps?

ArdeeBhoy
14/08/2011, 2:32 PM
Don't be silly. Their focus will always be mainly players from inside. Although they realise the need to be flexible and look outside too. I'd prefer we didn't cap people with England U-19 and U-21 caps, as I've said here repeatedly, but clearly that's a minority view now.

Surely like most teams they'll take whoever's Eligible from wherever??

And 'Repeatedly', surely not...
:rolleyes:

Doesn't your mate or his young friends watch TV?
Bar the 25th anniversary of their last WCF appearance in the last month or, why would most teenagers have heard of GA?
With respect to him, he was hardly George Best or even David Healy...

Predator
14/08/2011, 4:09 PM
A scan tomorrow perhaps?I don't have those resources readily available, unless I tried the local library or internet café and that all seems too much like work to me! The Fly has written out articles by Rowan before, maybe he'll do us a favour?

DannyInvincible
14/08/2011, 4:42 PM
I think this will take you to it if you have account on there: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/Sport/Other_Sport/article700544.ece

DannyInvincible
14/08/2011, 6:33 PM
Two pieces from the Sunday Life by Gerry Armstrong:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e209/thedowie/gerry1097.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e209/thedowie/gerry2098.jpg

I'm not sure why selecting northern-born players should seem to Armstrong as if it's a priority of the FAI's. There's no evidence to indicate that the FAI are actively setting out to scoop up uninterested IFA players nor is there any indication their selection is anywhere near a priority. At least he acknowledges the FAI aren't doing anything wrong, although blaming "politicians"? Didn't the people vote in approval of the current arrangement? There might have been a case prior to the GFA, but that's irrelevant now. Besides, FIFA rejected the IFA's complaints about Irish nationality law in 1994 anyway.

Newryrep
14/08/2011, 7:37 PM
The large mammal with the trunk in the room appears to have gained an invisibility cloak

DannyInvincible
14/08/2011, 7:41 PM
I also meant to add, Armstrong credits Kerr for his apparent reticence, but isn't Kerr alleged to have pro-actively sought Chris Baird? In fact, he's the only employee of the FAI that such an "allegation" has ever been made against by a northern player.

SkStu
14/08/2011, 7:46 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e209/thedowie/gerry2098.jpg

I'm now officially Gerry Armstrong, EPN.
EPN is merely the initials of my new role with the IFA - Elite Player Mentor...

You plonker!

BonnieShels
14/08/2011, 8:09 PM
I completely missed that first time I read it. Jaysus, he has his work cut out for himself at that rate.

ArdeeBhoy
14/08/2011, 8:57 PM
Gerry Armstrong, re. J.McClean,
"I'm desperate to find out what brought about his decision",
Hmm.

Never mind :rolleyes: being EPM or the kids even knowing who he is, but Gerry really doesn't know?

And good to see SS picking up this particular ball and running with it...

The Fly
14/08/2011, 10:24 PM

You plonker!

http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gif

He's off to a flyer lads!

EastTerracer
14/08/2011, 11:07 PM
I don't have those resources readily available, unless I tried the local library or internet café and that all seems too much like work to me! The Fly has written out articles by Rowan before, maybe he'll do us a favour?

The Sunday Times, 14th August, 2011
Strange and sad place, Belfast. Still. A city that has chosen as its icons a ship that sank on its maiden voyage and a gifted footballer who spent the last 30 years of his life drowning in a vat of chardonnay. And nowhere is that sense of poignancy more keenly felt than at the fading Georgian grandeur of No 20 Windsor Avenue. This is the former residence of the Titanic designer Thomas Andrews and the present home of the Irish Football Association, so visitors can view framed pictures of Best along with a faithful model of the ship. The hospitality is typically warm, but there is not much other history to see, even though the IFA is the fourth oldest governing body in the world after the other three home nations.

The magnificent silver Home Nations cup, awarded in perpetuity to Northern Ireland after they won the last championship in 1984, is kept in a box at the bottom of a cupboard in one of the rooms. Programmes going back through the decades when Northern Ireland was simply referred to as "Ireland" are locked away in cabinets. Other memorabilia from more than a century of history and tradition gathers dust in the attic.

All will be moved shortly to a museum at the revamped Windsor Park, but the sense of ennui since the defection of the latest player from the North, James McClean, to the Republic, remains overpowering and was only temporarily alleviated by the sensational display from Paddy McCourt in the 4-0 victory over the Faroe Islands on Wednesday night.

That night also saw a first official visit to Windsor Park by a Sinn Fein MLA, the Culture Minister Caral Ni Chuilin, though she arrived after the playing of God Save The Queen.

The scrapping of the divisive anthem is regarded as one possible panacea for the loss of some of Northern Ireland's best talent to their southern rivals and of course it would be a hugely symbolic gesture. Not only do some nationalists find it objectionable, but the anthem has been widely booed by Wales and Scotland fans on visits to Hampden Park and the Millennium stadium.

There are mixed signs emanating from the IFA on this issue. Gerry Armstrong, the new man charged with winning over the hearts and minds of young players thinking of defecting — and already dubbed by wags as Papal Nuncio to Windsor Park — said that the matter is under review, though he felt it was a red herring. "I know that they have talked about and are discussing it and it is an ongoing thing. I will find out more when I've been in the job a bit longer. I don't think it is that big an issue for a lot of people, some people might argue against that but I didn't ever see it as a problem. I went out and played."

IFA President, Jim Shaw, who appears less stuck in his ways than some of his predecessors, is sounding a more cautious note. "The Association has no clear line on that in the sense that the national anthem we play is the Northern Ireland national anthem," Shaw says.

However, even if Derry's own Phil Coulter were to pen an optimistic and inclusive new ditty, it wouldn't change the gut feeling amongst nationalists that they want to play for the Republic. And most people accept that. What is wholly understandable is the frustration felt in the North that precious financial resources are being wasted bringing players through the underage ranks only for them to jump ship once they get a call-up for the senior side and have to make a big decision. The Belfast Telegraph even began its report on the latest defection with "Turncoat James McClean... " an idea of how strongly feelings are running. In the case of one or two players — McClean excluded — they haven't even had the decency to ring the Northern Ireland manager to inform them of the decision.

As the Northern Ireland captain Aaron Hughes told me on Tuesday: "It makes it a bit more difficult when you are looking down the levels and thinking there are one or two good young players coming through and they would be good for the senior squad and all of a sudden they go elsewhere. But it is for the authorities to look at."

Here is an area fraught with difficulty as the IFA belatedly seeks to establish its equal opportunities credentials. Identifying the sleepers in the Northern Ireland camp might appear attractive to some, but would be a disastrous step to take. Getting any cooperation from the Republic on this issue also looks like a fruitless task and in the end it is up to the players to "give the shirt a bit of respect" and "don't abuse the nation and don't insult the manager", as David Healy put it last week.

However, all the signs are that the IFA are prepared to tolerate the situation, even if it infuriates them when players choose a different shade of green. The association knows that grasping the anthem nettle could lead to a situation where you alienate a large proportion of the existing support for only a negligible return.

Where it would become intolerable would be if players from the Protestant community also started making the jump and the indignity of becoming a feeder nation to the Republic became too great. There is no sign of such a sea change.

One or two players will surely have turned it over in their minds, but the pressure from their family, friends and general community will probably be too great to make them consider taking it any further.

The seriousness of the present situation shouldn't be underestimated. Remember that when Northern Ireland beat West Germany 1-0 in 1983 in Hamburg in a European qualifier there were more Catholics in the team than Protestants — including Armstrong, Martin O'Neill, Mal Donaghy and Pat Jennings. As Armstrong points out, "everybody got on". That's now gone. The ship has been holed, but will continue to sail into the sunset.

© 2011 Times Newspapers Ltd. All rights reserved

ArdeeBhoy
15/08/2011, 12:07 AM
Perhaps in the light of that article, 'EPN', as per the 'Sunday Life' typo, should mean Elite 'Papal Nuncio'...

ifk101
15/08/2011, 8:05 AM
Although of course I'm disappointed by young NI players abandoning NI to play for other countries

Irish nationals choosing to represent their country should not be a source of disappointment to you.

.... particularly when they've already amassed numerous U-21 caps.

I could be sympathetic on this point if I was unaware of the IFA's selection policy when it comes to the underage players of other associations.

And most irritatingly when they ar*se about, like McClean did after the squad was announced.

He was called up to train with the NI squad because Nigel & Co. had heard of the cross channel interest. Shouldn't your irritation be directed at the IFA?

Gather round
15/08/2011, 8:40 AM
Irish nationals choosing to represent their country should not be a source of disappointment to you

NI internationals choosing to retire prematurely from international football is.

I could be sympathetic on this point if I was unaware of the IFA's selection policy when it comes to the underage players of other associations

Bully for you. You may also be unaware that I've consistently argued against the IFA choosing U-21 and U-19 internationals from other countries.

He was called up to train with the NI squad because Nigel & Co. had heard of the cross channel interest. Shouldn't your irritation be directed at the IFA?

My irritation is wide-ranging. Dick Fcukwhittington's haplessness doesn't detract from McClean being a time-waster.

Gather round
15/08/2011, 8:41 AM
Strange and sad place, Belfast. Still. A city that has chosen as its icons a ship that sank on its maiden voyage and a gifted footballer who spent the last 30 years of his life drowning in a vat of chardonnay

Aye, I've always been puzzled by the determined association with all things Titanic. Although maybe I'm missing something, as it isn't confined to Belfast. A year ago thousands lined the streets of Dudley, where I live, to see a replica of the locally made ship's anchor parade behind 20 Shire horses, the local operatic and am-dram societies and a jug band playing Jambalaya. It was featured in a Channel 4 series a few months later.

George Best is iconic because he's widely acknowledged as the greatest British player of the modern era (ie, no-one since has surpassed his indovidual impact). That will be remembered long after the alcoholism, I expect.

And nowhere is that sense of poignancy more keenly felt than at the fading Georgian grandeur of No 20 Windsor Avenue..there is not much other history to see, even though the IFA is the fourth oldest governing body in the world after the other three home nations...but the sense of ennui since the defection of the latest player from the North, James McClean, to the Republic, remains overpowering and was only temporarily alleviated by the sensational display from Paddy McCourt in the 4-0 victory over the Faroe Islands on Wednesday night

This is just a bit overblown, don't ye think? NI's place in World football overall is modest largely due to small size and resulting limited player base. Occasional exceptions apart (Uruguay last year, say), the small fry tend to be also rans. Dusty back-room museums suggest 'ennui' pretty much by definition. Maybe there'll be another temporary alleviation next time NI win a game- perhaps next month?

That night also saw a first official visit to Windsor Park by a Sinn Fein MLA, the Culture Minister Caral Ni Chuilin, though she arrived after the playing of God Save The Queen

Arrived understandably late, left ridiculously early and thus missed all four goals. Hardly worth her while coming. Dozy cow.

but the anthem has been widely booed by Wales and Scotland fans on visits to Hampden Park and the Millennium stadium

Ha ha. There are good reasons to have a distinct NI anthem (or use the one we already have and have used, Danny Boy). Comedy booing by Braveheart extras isn't one of them.

it wouldn't change the gut feeling amongst nationalists that they want to play for the Republic. And most people accept that

Fine, play for the Republic. Don't play for NI first then retire in a huff.

the IFA belatedly seeks to establish its equal opportunities credentials

Irrelevant MOPERY, Those credentials already exist. The onus is on adult footballers capped by NI to realise that effectively retiring from international football aged 20 or whatever will get them understandable stick. No-one is going to identify them as a sleeper. What is this, Smiley's People?

The association knows that grasping the anthem nettle could lead to a situation where you alienate a large proportion of the existing support for only a negligible return

I doubt Danny Boy would alienate many. It might pi*ss them off for one or two games, then be accepted.

Where it would become intolerable would be if players from the Protestant community also started making the jump and the indignity of becoming a feeder nation to the Republic became too great. There is no sign of such a sea change

Quite. Rather a grandma's gonads argument. Apart from the obvious reasons above- it's a foreign country, basically- the RoI don't really offer much more at all. One qualification in the last eight attempts, no win against a higher-ranked country for 10 years. Apart from a purple period from 1986-94 it's decades of mediocrity. Slightly less dust in the Abbotstown museum?

The seriousness of the present situation shouldn't be underestimated

It isn't. There's at least the possibility of a steady number of players retiring from U-21 international football as I've described. Let's see how Gerry Armstrong gets on.

As Armstrong points out, "everybody got on". That's now gone

It hasn't. Team spirit is still there even if some people choose not to play for it. And spare us the laboured Titanic metaphors. Captain Ahab Keane buggering off from Saipan on the good ship Whataboutery didn't wreck the RoI's team spirit.

ArdeeBhoy
15/08/2011, 9:02 AM
More pointless bluster.

You still haven't answered the previous point up thread, mind.
Who are all these people who've "retired" ??

ifk101
15/08/2011, 9:27 AM
NI internationals choosing to retire prematurely from international football is.

Cry me a river.

You may also be unaware that I've consistently argued against the IFA choosing U-21 and U-19 internationals from other countries.

Bully for you.

My irritation is wide-ranging.

You should get that seen to.

Dick Fcukwhittington's haplessness

Hapless?

doesn't detract from McClean being a time-waster.

Cannot see the forest for the trees.

bwagner
15/08/2011, 12:31 PM
in the star today its mentions Callum Morris (ex newcastle defender) as gone to the north. he didnt get a contract with Blyth spartans and is now with Glenn Hoddle ...big loss there lol

Lionel Ritchie
15/08/2011, 1:16 PM
I'm now officially Gerry Armstrong, EPN.

You plonker!

He might want to hit the books for a bit for the new job http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a3FBeRh8M2U/TTi8rxq282I/AAAAAAAAFfI/iNICcZpPeKo/s1600/IMG_4061.JPG

ArdeeBhoy
15/08/2011, 1:42 PM
You could pass that book onto the odd poster on this thread also...
;)

Not Brazil
15/08/2011, 2:02 PM
in the star today its mentions Callum Morris (ex newcastle defender) as gone to the north. he didnt get a contract with Blyth spartans and is now with Glenn Hoddle ...big loss there lol

How is Morris eligible to play for Northern Ireland?

I don't see him as having been selected to represent any Northern Ireland representative team - nor do I ever envisage him obtaining a senior international cap for Northern Ireland.

There's another Northern Irish born kid at the Hoddle Academy, you might be interested in talking to though.

Sullivinho
15/08/2011, 2:07 PM
He might want to hit the books for a bit for the new job..

The tricolour pencil is a nice touch. :D

Predator
15/08/2011, 8:53 PM
There's another Northern Irish born kid at the Hoddle Academy, you might be interested in talking to though.Who's that?

paul_oshea
15/08/2011, 9:13 PM
Can someone tell me if there is any truth in the story about the flight back from the spain in 82 game where armstrong was supposed to have started singing when irish eyes are smiling and a whole fight erupted on the plane? I heard it from a good source but hadn't heard it before so wondered how true it is.

gastric
15/08/2011, 9:57 PM
How is Morris eligible to play for Northern Ireland?

I don't see him as having been selected to represent any Northern Ireland representative team - nor do I ever envisage him obtaining a senior international cap for Northern Ireland.

There's another Northern Irish born kid at the Hoddle Academy, you might be interested in talking to though.

Usual NI crap! As you well know Brazil, we don't talk to players - they come on board because they feel alientaed from the NI team with its politics and sectaranism. To keep putting forward this paranoid argument that the FAI are somehow being underhand is old, boring and completely untrue.

co. down green
15/08/2011, 10:12 PM
Who's that?

Sean McCashin. Was with Notts Forest for a few years before being released and is currently at to the Hoddle academy.

He was with the Glentoran u16's before the move to Forest, he's from Antrim.

Was a useful Gaelic footballer and hurler at school

Predator
15/08/2011, 10:25 PM
Sean McCashin. Was with Notts Forest for a few years before being released and is currently at to the Hoddle academy.

He was with the Glentoran u16's before the move to Forest, he's from Antrim.I actually saw him play a few years ago. He didn't look too bad, but you can never judge a player on one performance.

ArdeeBhoy
15/08/2011, 11:06 PM

Down as having 4 caps for us (acc. to the PFA /UEFA sites), so suppose he could go to the North, but no mention of how, especially.

McCashin sounds more a more likely candidate, though no doubt someone will claim he's somehow 'retired' from international football.

Even though he's never played!

Gather round
16/08/2011, 7:46 AM
Usual NI crap! As you well know Brazil, we don't talk to players

Maybe you should? You might qualify more often. Do you think the players pick the team themselves?

they come on board because they feel alienated from the NI team with its politics and sectaranism

All international teams reflect politics- that's the whole point of international sport. If McClean and co were worried about sectarianism they probably wouldn't have hung around long enough to win numerous caps at U-21 and U-19.

To keep putting forward this paranoid argument that the FAI are somehow being underhand is old, boring and completely untrue.

It isn't paranoid, merely describes reality. The FAI are choosing players who've already turned out for NI. That's what annoys NI fans, regardless of whether the FAI are being underhand or not (I agree that they aren't).

If you're bored, don't read the thread.

Not Brazil
16/08/2011, 8:04 AM
Usual NI crap! As you well know Brazil, we don't talk to players - they come on board because they feel alientaed from the NI team with its politics and sectaranism.

Really?

I thought it was because it was their "boyhood dream" to play for the South?

gastric
16/08/2011, 8:05 AM
Maybe you should? You might qualify more often. Do you think the players pick the team themselves?

All international teams reflect politics- that's the whole point of international sport. If McClean and co were worried about sectarianism they probably wouldn't have hung around long enough to win numerous caps at U-21 and U-19.

It isn't paranoid, merely describes reality. The FAI are choosing players who've already turned out for NI. That's what annoys NI fans, regardless of whether the FAI are being underhand or not (I agree that they aren't).

If you're bored, don't read the thread.

Another rant from an ignorant, frustrated and irrational NI fan. Maybe you should stick to the OWC site where myopic views are okay! It has been ascertained that the FAI have not stalked or targeted NI players. They choose the Irish team due to the failure of the North to stop the sectaranism and politics that continues to dominate your so called team. Your views gloss over the realities that anyone outside your little world can so easily see.

Not Brazil
16/08/2011, 8:05 AM
Can someone tell me if there is any truth in the story about the flight back from the spain in 82 game where armstrong was supposed to have started singing when irish eyes are smiling and a whole fight erupted on the plane? I heard it from a good source but hadn't heard it before so wondered how true it is.

Nonsense.

Where would he have been flying back to after the Spain in 82 game?

ArdeeBhoy
16/08/2011, 8:22 AM
Er, Heathrow?

Or Beal-feirste.

Edit to NB

Ok, from Valencia to Madrid?

Or maybe PR meant from the 'tournament', as opposed to the game...

Not Brazil
16/08/2011, 8:26 AM
Er, Heathrow?

Or Beal-feirste

Er - they stayed in Spain after the Spain game, having qualified for the next group stage.

PS. I flew home immediately after the Spain game, and my Irish eyes were smiling - they were extremely bloodshot by the time I reached my local for 11.30AM opening the following morning.

Not Brazil
16/08/2011, 8:27 AM
Down as having 4 caps for us (acc. to the PFA /UEFA sites), so suppose he could go to the North, but no mention of how, especially.

Does he have a Northern Irish born parent or grandparent?

gastric
16/08/2011, 8:28 AM
Really?

I thought it was because it was their "boyhood dream" to play for the South?

Yes for once you are right. Young lads in NI start off wanting to represent their province, then in their early teens realise that due to sectaranism and politics, they really would be more comfortable representing a team which is far more welcoming - their boyhood dream is now to play for the Irish team.

Gather round
16/08/2011, 8:31 AM
Another rant from an ignorant, frustrated and irrational NI fan

Temper temper. Nothing I said was ranting, ignorant nor irrational. I'll admit to mild irritation,

Maybe you should stick to the OWC site where myopic views are okay!

Maybe you should throw a stick and see if it comes back, Aussie. Nothing I've said on the subject is myopic.

It has been ascertained that the FAI have not stalked or targeted NI players

Do you read what anyone else posts before going off on one? I said in my last post a few minutes ago that the FAI weren't underhand. Did you miss that, or just not understand it?

They choose the Irish team due to the failure of the North to stop the sectaranism and politics

They don't, generally. As NB says, they tend to claim they're fulfulling a boyhood dream (however odd that looks after numerous games for another international side). They don't blame the NI team for being sectarian. Perhaps they're just a bit better informed about it than you are?

that continues to dominate your so called team. Your views gloss over the realities that anyone outside your little world can so easily see

I've glossed over nothing, particularly on here. I mean, I've replied to others in some detail. Even bad-tempered wind-ups like you.

G'day.

ArdeeBhoy
16/08/2011, 8:35 AM
Yawn alert.

ifk101
16/08/2011, 8:41 AM
they tend to claim they're fulfulling a boyhood dream (however odd that looks after numerous games for another international side). They don't blame the NI team for being sectarian. Perhaps they're just a bit better informed about it than you are?

Why the use of the word "claim"? It really isn't that odd that they line out for the IFA. How else are they to alert the FAI of their abilities? :)

Not Brazil
16/08/2011, 8:46 AM
Yes for once you are right. Young lads in NI start off wanting to represent their province, then in their early teens realise that due to sectaranism and politics, they really would be more comfortable representing a team which is far more welcoming - their boyhood dream is now to play for the Irish team.

So, in summary, these lads' childhood dream is to represent Northern Ireland, but once they reach a certain age (not "early teens"), they decide the IFA are unwelcoming, and switch?

By "politics", do you mean the player's politics ie. they realise that their politics is that of an Irish Nationalist/Republican ie. not in keeping with representing a British Association, and a territory that forms a part of the United Kingdom?

gastric
16/08/2011, 8:47 AM
Temper temper. Nothing I said was ranting, ignorant nor irrational. I'll admit to mild irritation,

Maybe you should throw a stick and see if it comes back, Aussie. Nothing I've said on the subject is myopic.

o you read what anyone else posts before going off on one? I said in my last post a few minutes ago that the FAI weren't underhand. Did you miss that, or just not understand it?

They don't, generally. As NB says, they tend to claim they're fulfulling a boyhood dream (however odd that looks after numerous games for another international side). They don't blame the NI team for being sectarian. Perhaps they're just a bit better informed about it than you are?

I've glossed over nothing, particularly on here. I mean, I've replied to others in some detail. Even bad-tempered wind-ups like you.

G'day.

And maybe you should stick to your bedsit with the picture of the queen on the wall, Brummie!