PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

DannyInvincible
25/02/2013, 8:30 AM
Well, he did say it is "great" that rugby has a single all-island team but "disappointing" that football doesn't, which would surely imply a single all-island football team would be something he'd support, so not really sure how he can claim his words were twisted. They're quoted verbatim.

“It’s crazy that one sport can do it and another can’t,” he said in an interview with the Sunday Life.

“It’s great that the Irish rugby team have such a mix from all over, but I suppose it’s just politics and it will probably never happen.

“It would definitely have made both countries stronger over the years, so it’s disappointing.

Somewhat rich to blame "politics" and name-check James McClean if he ultimately subscribes to the notion of two island teams then.

ArdeeBhoy
25/02/2013, 10:35 AM
Be fair, at least KG acknowledged 'the concept' before saying it's unlikely. For now.

Not Brazil
25/02/2013, 9:55 PM
Be fair, at least KG acknowledged 'the concept' before saying it's unlikely. For now.

He went a bit further that than on Twitter.

"Never happen for various reasons. At no stage did I use the words I want an all Ireland team"

ArdeeBhoy
26/02/2013, 12:14 AM
He also used the word "probably" though.

Charlie Darwin
26/02/2013, 12:27 AM
He also said he was disappointed. He hasn't disputed any of the quotes, just the headline. Clearly he would have liked to have played for an all-Ireland team, he just doesn't think it is politically possible.

Crosby87
26/02/2013, 12:40 AM
Here is an eligibility question: In 3 different newspapers today, I read that Daniel Day-Lewis was:
"British" (2 times)
"Irish" (2 times)
"English-Irish" (1 time) Note: papers listed him as multiple things in different articles. Since going on wiki is what causes this, anyone really know? Just curious.

Charlie Darwin
26/02/2013, 1:02 AM
He's confused himself. His father was Irish-born Anglo-Irish who moved to England as soon as he could. He considers himself Anglo-Irish and moved back to Ireland, but by his own admission doesn't fit neatly into either Irish or English categories. I suppose he is some sort of method-acting Andy Townsend figure.

Crosby87
26/02/2013, 1:24 AM
Nice answer, thanks. I was--i mean we were debating it at work like what's he sound like (A Brit and An Irish both denying)
Anyway Chuck i was walking down 5th today by Bergdorf Goodman and they have a Charles Darwin thing in one of the windows...i thought of you and felt awkward. Douche Chills. (Thats second hand embarressment for all you free loaders)

Charlie Darwin
26/02/2013, 1:54 AM
You should really get some help for that :)

DannyInvincible
26/02/2013, 8:59 AM
Day-Lewis' father, Cecil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Day-Lewis), was born in 1904 in what became known as County Laois post-partition. He grew up in London and was raised there by his father with the help of his aunt after the death of his mother in 1906. The family continued to spend summer holidays with relatives in Wexford. He possessed British citizenship rather than opting for Irish citizenship upon Ireland's declaration as a republic in 1948, according to Wiki, "on the grounds that 1940 had taught him where his deepest roots lay". Not sure what the 1940 reference relates to exactly. Anyone have any idea? He did name one of his other two sons Sean, mind.

Daniel Day-Lewis was born in London but appears to have no qualms in embracing the Irish aspect of his identity whilst also acknowledging he is English - having been raised in England, receiving an English education - and supposing to be a "die-hard agnostic". He states in this interview that his father raised him with a great sense of love for and belonging to Ireland, but does dismiss any sense of confusion over his identity despite not having "worked it out" entirely by that point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzZEb-84MC8

He has been an Irish passport holder since 1993, has a dwelling in Wicklow and two of his three sons are named Ronan and Cashel, both Irish names.

Of memories of family holidays spent in Mayo as a child, he stated:

I have many images that come from that time. The light, the smell, the utter delight with which we would fly out of the car as soon as we arrived and dive into the nearest bit of the Atlantic. The power of them remains undiminished. Life in England was, by comparison, a little colourless.

Ireland was a place of renewal and hope and I still see it like that. It was the place where we were all together as a family. And it was like a secret garden. Making a conscious decision to live in a place means you are going to take the mystery out of it to some extent, but you can never entirely do that here. It’s one of the great qualities of this place. When people say you’re mad here, it’s a compliment.

As for his accent, being an excellent method actor and impressionist, it depends what film he's working on at that point in time. :p The accent you hear in the interview posted above is his ordinary accent. He was bullied for being "posh" at school, which prompted him to mimic the local accent and mannerisms of his peers; his first convincing performances, allegedly. For me, he stands out as one of the few actors who've truly impressed whilst attempting to imitate a convincing northern Irish accent in both The Boxer and In the Name of the Father.

DannyInvincible
26/02/2013, 3:24 PM
Rather amusing retweet by Jamie Bryson, this: https://twitter.com/AreWeACountry/status/306412943761887233

(#JamieBryson as mascot) Never mind, look on the bright side. He could have been organising genocide for years and sitting in government...

http://lynnrockets.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/political-pictures-sarah-palin-whoosh.jpg

tetsujin1979
26/02/2013, 4:45 PM
forgive my ignorance, who's Bryson? what's the relevance of him being a mascot?

DannyInvincible
26/02/2013, 5:10 PM

Bryson has been one of the more prominent loyalist flag protestors/spokesmen and is chairman of the Ulster People's Forum. He stood in as the IFA's mascot last November after the usual mascot took ill and a media story was made of it subsequent to his new-found flag-related fame: http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/headlines/jamie-bryson-angry-at-mascot-media-coverage-1-4767422

FLAG protest leader Jamie Bryson has been angered that several newspapers have highlighted his brief stint as mascot for the Northern Ireland football team.

The front page of yesterday’s Irish News carried a picture of the Bangor man dressed as the football-headed ‘Footie’ with the oversized boots.

In a statement, the Irish Football Association said Mr Bryson – who is the interim chairman of the Ulster People’s Forum – had been used as a last-minute replacement for the normal mascot, who had taken ill ahead of the home match against Azerbaijan last November.

A spokesman for the IFA told the newspaper: “Mr Bryson stood in at the last minute. This was a one-off.

“Mr Bryson is not involved in any of the association’s community relations projects.”

In the aftermath of yesterday’s media coverage, Mr Bryson said on Facebook: “Never mind the fact we have the GAA glorifying and parading terrorists around – was delighted to be mascot and stand in front of the Kop with all the Union and Ulster Flags waving as my fellow Ulstermen and women stood for the national anthem of Northern Ireland.”

Naturally, the IFA felt it necessary to reassure those concerned that his standing in as mascot wasn't an endorsement of his politics by somewhat distance themselves from his private life, lest they be perceived as any more mono-communal than they already are by many. I don't see it as a big deal though, to be honest, although his conception of what the IFA's team represents, in the last paragraph above there, is telling. I'd imagine it's not too unpopular a view. With apparent glee, he even mentions all the Union flags waving in the Kop; NB had me thinking they were a thing of the past...

Not Brazil
26/02/2013, 5:31 PM

He's a spokeman for the "Ulster People's Forum", who have been involved in the recent "Flag Protests". Often seen in public with, the somewhat unstable, Willie Frazer (although they've had a few "tiffs" of late).

The new "poster boy" of young "Loyalists".

He's a rather deluded and egotistical figure - his latest, warped, assertion making the headlines is that the Provos were terrorists but the UVF were not.

Good luck to him in explaining that "logic" to the innocent victims of UVF violence.

Edit: Just noticed DI's reply.

Not Brazil
26/02/2013, 5:39 PM
With apparent glee he even mentions all the Union flags waving in the Kop; NB had me thinking they were a thing of the past...

Relatively few UF's at Northern Ireland matches in recent times - but I suspect there might be more than usual at upcoming games. Whatever rocks their boat.

I think if I checked the TV footage of the Kop on the night Bryson did Footie, it might dispel any notion of Bryson's that it was a sea of Union Flags. Having attended the match, I don't recall it being akin the The Last Night Of The Proms.

DannyInvincible
26/02/2013, 5:44 PM
Hehe, fair enough. I was half pulling your leg. NI fans can wave Union flags if they like. It just gets a bit nauseous having the same people tell us nationalist footballers should embrace such gestures, expressions and symbolism or that the side can be representative of nationalist identity.

Not Brazil
26/02/2013, 5:53 PM
Hehe, fair enough. I was half pulling your leg. NI fans can wave Union flags if they like. It just gets a bit nauseous having the same people tell us nationalist footballers should embrace such gestures, expressions and symbolism or that the side can be representative of nationalist identity.

Just as nauseous as the same people telling us that the right of choice of players born in Northern Ireland to play for Northern Ireland should be removed, in order to faciltate a singular All Ireland team.

SkStu
26/02/2013, 6:03 PM

just pulling his (f)leg... ;)

DannyInvincible
27/02/2013, 8:15 AM
Bryson actually compared himself to Jesus Christ at a recent protest:

"Remember, Hitler had millions of followers, but Jesus Christ just had twelve."

Just as nauseous as the same people telling us that the right of choice of players born in Northern Ireland to play for Northern Ireland should be removed, in order to faciltate a singular All Ireland team.

Well, you know my thoughts on that. :)

Charlie Darwin
27/02/2013, 1:18 PM
At least he didn't compare himself to Hitler, I suppose.

SwanVsDalton
27/02/2013, 3:28 PM
I sorta feel any explanation of who Bryson is half-buries the lede if it doesn't mention he's the self-published author of these soon-to-be-cult-canon screamers (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jamie-Bryson/e/B008RDMYKQ).

BonnieShels
27/02/2013, 3:30 PM
The reviews are worth it. :)

geysir
27/02/2013, 9:01 PM
I sorta feel any explanation of who Bryson is half-buries the lede if it doesn't mention he's the self-published author of these soon-to-be-cult-canon screamers (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jamie-Bryson/e/B008RDMYKQ).
So there's another 49 Shades of God to come yet??

The reviews are worth it. :)
The reviews are classic but do they alone justify Jamie's .. ahem ..'literary' exploits?

BonnieShels
27/02/2013, 9:04 PM
The reviews are classic but do they alone justify Jamie's .. ahem ..'literary' exploits?

Yes. Yes they do.

Sullivinho
27/02/2013, 9:31 PM
"Worth a miss", which attributes additional value to any other activity precluding the purchase and/or consuming of Jamie's tour de force is a restrained enough rebuff on the face of it but upon scrutiny, possibly the sharpest barb in the hail. The internet can be a cruel place.

I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of reviews, brief as it was. Would read again and will recommend to friends.

geysir
27/02/2013, 10:01 PM
Could anyone who was dumb enough to purchase his book, have the wit to write one of those retorts?

The 5 star review, the scots/irish one (whatever the féck that gobbeldygook is called), had me going.

gastric
27/02/2013, 10:06 PM
Mascot, preacher and Glasgow Rangers' fan, how could you not vote for Jamie! Sullivinho, what book have you swallowed now?

BonnieShels
27/02/2013, 10:12 PM
The last one...

There is a slander campaign against this, 2 Feb 2013
By
Chris - See all my reviews
This review is from: Four Men Had a dream: May the streets be broad and narrow.....: 1 (Paperback)
Republicans are targetting this and are encouraging people to review this book negatively because of race/ religion

Eric Hedley
Leave as many reviews of this book as you can.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Four-Men-Had-dream-narrow/dp/1478334843/ref=la_B008RDMYKQ_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357308496&sr=1-1

And they say Loyalism is in crisis?

geysir
27/02/2013, 10:41 PM
And a comment to that call to arms 'review' was
"In all seriousness, how could anyone give this garbage a positive review? Have you actually read any of it? Utter illiterate drivel. I have heard more coherent sentences on The Teletubbies."

How about Better call Saul's 5 star review?
:D

"Whether it is rambling to hypnotised mass gatherings outside Belfast City Hall, or inflicting his apparently delusional, somewhat fevered rantings on a national broadcast audience, we have all been duped into believing that Bryson is in fact a real person. Thankfully, however, that is not the case and it is with this wickedly subversive tour de force that he announces himself as the next great satirist of our time."

"Just as incisively brutal is the author's use of poorly constructed sentences, woeful grammar and intermittent punctuation. By choosing to render his work thus, Bryson offers a damning indictment of the educational vacuity that continues to plague loyalism."

"For anyone seeking an insight into the loyalist mind, this is an essential purchase."

"There are strong echoes too of Cormac McCarthy's minimalist style - of which Bryson is undoubtedly a disciple - though it is puzzling as to why he chose to adopt the great American's spartan approach, especially considering the rather implausible, saccharine plot."

ArdeeBhoy
28/02/2013, 10:00 AM

Even though the team exist on the basis of an historical accident. As in FIFA allowing GB et al to have 4 teams.
And there never will or could be a sovereign state in the North.
So you can see why people both at home and abroad might question their 'right' to exist...

BonnieShels
28/02/2013, 10:03 AM
Even though the team exist on the basis of an historical accident. As in FIFA allowing GB et al to have 4 teams.
And there never will or could be a sovereign state in the North.
So you can see why people both at home and abroad might question their 'right' to exist...

Not strictly true. The 4 teams existed before FIFA.

It was the formation of the FAI which caused the controversy. Splitters.

DannyInvincible
28/02/2013, 10:08 AM
The original aspiration of the FAI (or the then-FAIFS) was to replace or succeed, rather than intentionally split from, the IFA. It was when it came to accessing FIFA membership that the association was granted entry based upon the jurisdiction of the Irish Free State. Recognition would not have been forthcoming otherwise.

BonnieShels
28/02/2013, 10:10 AM
The original aspiration of the FAI (or the then-FAIFS) was to replace or succeed, rather than intentionally split from, the IFA. It was when it came to accessing FIFA membership that the association was granted entry based upon the jurisdiction of the Irish Free State. Recognition would not have been forthcoming otherwise.

Yes. What I said does not dispute that. :)

DannyInvincible
28/02/2013, 10:17 AM
Just spotted this, thanks to Pred:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SpTC9sphL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU02_.jpg

Shouldn't there be an apostrophe in the sub-heading?

http://dockfam.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/homer-doh.jpg

BonnieShels
28/02/2013, 10:41 AM
Would it matter if there was? Though that really is annoying.

ArdeeBhoy
28/02/2013, 10:54 AM
Not strictly true. The 4 teams existed before FIFA.

It was the formation of the FAI which caused the controversy. Splitters.

Ok, but they were lucky they were allowed an exaggerated status. And what Danny said.

DannyInvincible
28/02/2013, 11:04 AM
FIFA wanted to get the British associations on board in the mid-1940s and this was realised through the diplomacy of Jules Rimet. I don't think the maintenance of their respective autonomies was ever a sticking point with FIFA given they were already well-established as independent footballing entities and had been pivotal in formalising the laws of the game.

DannyInvincible
28/02/2013, 11:19 AM
Some more on the history of it here: http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/bodies/congress/britishassociations.html

The four British associations return to FIFA after the Second World War: 25th FIFA Congress in Luxembourg in 1946

Congresses that left their mark on FIFA and football

The representatives of the 34 associations attending the first FIFA Congress staged after the Second World War pass several far-reaching decisions. Thanks to Jules Rimet's diplomatic skills, the four British associations - England, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland, return to FIFA after an absence of almost 20 years.

The reason for the temporary exclusion of these four member associations was a disagreement with FIFA on the status of amateur players. Leading the negotiations for the British are Arthur Drewry and Sir Stanley Rous, who will later take over the helm of FIFA.

The British associations' return is celebrated with a match between a UK team and a FIFA eleven in Glasgow's Hampden Park in 1947. Acclaimed by the press as the "Match of the Century", it pulls in a crowd of 135,000 eager fans. As a goodwill gesture, the receipts of GBP 35,000 were passed on to FIFA to help it bridge the financial losses suffered during the war. The British team won 6-1.

Further Congress decisions in 1946:

• The World Cup trophy is renamed the Jules Rimet Cup in the President's honour.
• Brazil are named hosts of the next World Cup (planned for 1949 but actually held in 1950) and Switzerland hosts of the subsequent tournament. Both tournaments are to be played according to the knockout system.
• The delegates approve CONMEBOL's proposal for Spanish to become an official language of FIFA.

The following extract from the Congress minutes testify to the significance of the 25th FIFA Congress.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/StaticPhoto/AboutFifa/Federation/Congress/photo_13.jpg

If there was an issue at all with their membership, it appears to have been centred around the status of amateur players.

Crosby87
28/02/2013, 11:31 AM
The Jules Rimet Cup. Sounds like something Bonnie Shells nervously puts on around his groin before his sunday pub matches.

ArdeeBhoy
28/02/2013, 4:22 PM
No. That's Ralgex.

:rolleyes:

ArdeeBhoy
11/03/2013, 7:07 PM
He's a spokeman for the "Ulster People's Forum", who have been involved in the recent "Flag Protests".
Often seen in public with, the somewhat unstable, Willie Frazer (although they've had a few "tiffs" of late).

The new "poster boy" of young "Loyalists".

He's a rather deluded and egotistical figure - his latest, warped, assertion making the headlines is that the Provos were terrorists but the UVF were not.

Good luck to him in explaining that "logic" to the innocent victims of UVF violence.

The latest on 'our' Jamie...
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/union-flag-protester-jamie-brysons-hunger-strike-ends-with-an-indian-curry-29121911.html

Sullivinho
11/03/2013, 7:37 PM
The latest on 'our' Jamie...
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/union-flag-protester-jamie-brysons-hunger-strike-ends-with-an-indian-curry-29121911.html

There's a book in that.

Possibly a mural.

geysir
11/03/2013, 8:00 PM
Wee Jamie the OWC's mascot did alright, 1/2 a day on hunger strike is 2 hours longer than his predecessors.

ArdeeBhoy
11/03/2013, 8:08 PM
He's certainly done better than his rotund compatriot on here would have...
;)

ArdeeBhoy
11/03/2013, 8:24 PM
There's a book in that.

Possibly a mural.

"Jamie Biryani" ?

DannyInvincible
13/03/2013, 10:02 AM
'Northern Ireland boss O’Neill blasts FAI over pursuit of young players': http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/northern-ireland-boss-oneill-blasts-fai-over-pursuit-of-young-players-29126635.html

NORTHERN IRELAND manager Michael O'Neill believes the FAI have "moral issues" to address over their pursuit of players from the six counties.

In criticising the FAI's approach, the former Shamrock Rovers boss pointed to the difficulties endured by Darron Gibson, James McClean and Marc Wilson under Giovanni Trapattoni and the lack of opportunities for less high-profile players like Daniel Kearns, who took a case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to ensure he could play for the Republic.

O'Neill appears to have stemmed the flow of players, but remains frustrated that North-born Premier League regulars are denied to him by the rules that are in place.

"Marc Wilson had his problems, James (McClean) has had his problems, Darron Gibson has certainly not played anywhere near as much for the Republic of Ireland as he would have done for Northern Ireland," he said.

"Daniel Kearns, I feel a bit sorry (for). He was, possibly, a young lad that was put in a position that maybe the association shouldn't have put him in.

"As a player at 17 or 19, to change your allegiance without any potential promise of a full international career, I think there's a moral issue there. I don't think that's to the benefit of a player's career. And I think there is a moral aspect, as an association, to make sure that the interest is genuine."

When later he was asked if he comes across Trapattoni at games in England often, O'Neill said: "Funnily enough, I don't actually."

Not sure what the "moral issue" here is exactly. Unlike Worthington, I'd hoped O'Neill was above such moralistic whingeing. Players make a free and informed decision. They know the risks and there's nobody at the FAI hoodwinking them or coercing them into doing something against their will. In fact, I understand that most of the players who have switched are happier to take the risk and fight for a place in our sides rather than settle for the greater certainty or security of more caps and an international career with the IFA; an association to whom they don't feel culturally-affiliated.

tetsujin1979
13/03/2013, 10:15 AM
of course, the IFA approaching players like Callum Morris and Alex Bruce is all above board and beyond reproach

DannyInvincible
13/03/2013, 10:37 AM
He's also over-playing the supposed "problems" experienced by switching players. Wilson's opportunities have been limited in the past due to recurring injury issues and the illness of his girlfriend, but he's clearly a big part of Trap's plans at present. Gibson has been capped 19 times and, whilst McClean has had off-the-field issues, they've not interfered with his international progress or aspirations. As for Kearns, he's still only 21; not like he's washed up or anything. And there's absolutely no indication that any of these players now harbour regrets over declaring for the FAI; not even Gibson with his apparent problems with Trap.

I also disagree with the misleading connotation behind this phrase: "denied to him by the rules that are in place". The rules don't deny O'Neill access to any player, just so long as they're eligible. It's his job to convince eligible players that their best option is to choose the IFA. No rule denies him any right he has to do this.

ifk101
13/03/2013, 11:04 AM
As the FAI doesn't pick the team, presumably O'Neill's statement is intended as an attack on Trapattoni's team selections?

BonnieShels
13/03/2013, 11:08 AM
"Daniel Kearns, I feel a bit sorry (for). He was, possibly, a young lad that was put in a position that maybe the association shouldn't have put him in.

Which association is that Michael?

Sorry Danny, remind me again who brought that case to CAS. I forget. It's been so long.