PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

Bucky-O'Hare
18/08/2011, 7:19 AM
Jaysus do I regret ever looking at this thread. Some utter bile being spoken!

ArdeeBhoy
18/08/2011, 8:49 AM
Pompous nonsense from 1 or 2, yes.
But bile? Naw....

bwagner
18/08/2011, 10:41 AM
what is the latest on O'kane ? Is there anything offical ?

ifk101
18/08/2011, 11:02 AM
NB; I think you mentioned a few pages back that Derry City were still members of the IFA. Is this true? I know the club had to request dispensation from the IFA and UEFA/FIFA to join the League of Ireland, but I wasn't aware there was still some affiliation there. Aren't they members of the FAI?

I'm pretty sure this was discussed in the LOI section in the wake of Derry's expulsion and re-entry to the LOI.

Just another thing on the role of Gerry "EPN" Armstrong, presumably you inherently disagree with the IFA even setting up such a position, NB, because if players are having second thoughts about playing for NI, then they shouldn't be considered at all? Or am I picking you up incorrectly?

That's an interesting thought Danny and to add to that I presume NB is also "uneasy" with Lee Camp representing NI. Lee Camp was always aware of his eligibility for NI but chose England and had relative success with England at underage level. But once it became apparent to him that a senior England cap was beyond his reach, he turned to NI. Is there really any inherent difference between Alex Bruce and Lee Camp besides a few choice words in the media?

Predator
18/08/2011, 4:42 PM
Gerry Armstrong could find himself disappointed: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/duffy-sticking-by-republic-call-16038087.html

BonnieShels
18/08/2011, 5:15 PM
Well at least there was no mention of the GFA but still...

Duffy, who automatically qualifies for the Republic as his dad, Brian, is from Donegal.

Duffy qualifies by virtue of his birth in Derry, Ireland.

DannyInvincible
18/08/2011, 6:16 PM
Is part of Gerry Armstrong's remit to pester guys like Shane Duffy who are now playing under the auspices of other associations? That's rich.

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, it would be impossible for Duffy to effect a U-turn given he's lined out for both the IFA and now the FAI in competitive under-age fixtures.

ArdeeBhoy
18/08/2011, 9:09 PM
Perhaps he could also turn out for The People's Republic of, er, Belleek, or similar...

The Fly
18/08/2011, 10:04 PM
what is the latest on O'kane ? Is there anything offical ?

It looks fairly certain now. (http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/story-13156394-detail/story.html)

Sullivinho
18/08/2011, 10:27 PM
O'Kane's registration as an Eire player is expected to be completed in time for him to be available for the next round of qualifying matches at the start of next month.

Alright, who leaked the 'Anti-Slovak/Soviet secret weapon' dossier? The O'Kane strategy is out of the bag. Not cool.

DannyInvincible
19/08/2011, 12:28 AM
Ok ....... **** it!!!!!!!!!!!! I`m just gonna say it. (I have been caught at a weak moment as I do try to avoid this thread for the obvious reasons!!)

The problem with NI is that it has a major identity crisis, that point I know is obvious. Are you Irish??? Are you British??? Answer --- Neither........."You are Northern Irish!!!!!" Don't think of yourself as Irish or British, as Catholic/Protestant, black/white, rich/poor & all those other irrelevant social divisions we put ourselves into to help us feel like we have a place in this world. Just as an example i will come at this from a familiar perspective, Scots see themselves as Scottish, those from Wales see themselves as Welsh, those from England are English etc... but NI, are they Irish or British???.

Every country has its violent and unsavoury past, try to look past it. I was born & raised in Ireland(ROI) & what I would love to see is a peaceful united Ireland but above all else I would give everything to see a peaceful NI either as part of a united Ireland or as a united Northern Ireland with a common goal & not divided on such trivial & insignificant reasons such as religion & falsely laid mistrust based on events of which none of us had any baring or influence on. Let go of the the biased psychological mindset of our ancestors, to whom we should not be made responsible for.

To put it simply, at the end of the day when the question is asked, whats the most logical answer for you.........Are you Irish, British or N.Irish??

Apologies for the rant, and I hope that you understand the point I'm trying to make as i must confess I'm much more comfortable with verbal interactions than written discussions.

I'm in two minds whether or not to go to town on this as, if I'm reading you correctly, I happen to wholeheartedly resent such patronising sentiment. To whom are you referring exactly? Everyone in the north?

CraftyToePoke
19/08/2011, 2:00 AM
I'm in two minds whether or not to go to town on this as, if I'm reading you correctly, I happen to wholeheartedly resent such patronising sentiment. To whom are you referring exactly? Everyone in the north?

Ha ha, was waiting for this, go to town on it Danny, unload Sir, unload.

ArdeeBhoy
19/08/2011, 2:45 AM
To be fair, guessing relative geographical location may lead to certain, er, detachment issues...

Read it mainly as a rant mainly about those people, mainly clowns, who claim to be 'both' British & Irish*.
:rolleyes:
Of course' this excludes those who have both passports to prove it...

*As opposed to those who are just Brits or Irish. Which is fair enough....

ifk101
19/08/2011, 7:05 AM
Gerry Armstrong could find himself disappointed: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/duffy-sticking-by-republic-call-16038087.html

It doesn't say in the article that Gerry Armstrong has approached Duffy or given any indication of his intention to do so.

It looks fairly certain now. (http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/story-13156394-detail/story.html)

fingers crossed (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/orsquokane-is-latest-to-switch-from-northern-ireland-to-republic-16038363.html)

SwanVsDalton
19/08/2011, 9:13 AM
Are the BT trying to extract the urine with that 'he's changed in time to make the next ROI squad' line? Can't help but thinking they're trying to mischievously suggest a guy who didn't make the last NI U-21 setup could jump straight into our squad.

bwagner
19/08/2011, 9:36 AM
So can we field a full 11 from northern born lads : Gibson, Duffy, Kearns, O Kane, Wilson, George, Mclean, who am i leaving out..

bwagner
19/08/2011, 9:36 AM
Devine

bwagner
19/08/2011, 9:56 AM
5 Derry lads now : Gibson ,O kane, Duffy, Mclean and Ferguson, they are putting the Belfast lads to shame :O)

co. down green
19/08/2011, 10:44 AM
So can we field a full 11 from northern born lads : Gibson, Duffy, Kearns, O Kane, Wilson, George, Mclean, who am i leaving out..

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8164/301368641.png

Goalkeeper? Could probably have stuck Conor Devlin in there i suppose, as he was on the verge of moving to us prior to his being reseased by Man U. Don't think he's got sorted with a club yet?

ifk101
19/08/2011, 10:57 AM
Conor Devlin has played in recent NI U21 qualifiers so he cannot represent us at U21 competitive level until the current round of qualifiers is complete. Unlikely to switch anytime soon because of this.

Lionel Ritchie
19/08/2011, 11:22 AM
Goalkeeper? Could probably have stuck Conor Devlin in there i suppose, as he was on the verge of moving to us prior to his being reseased by Man U. Don't think he's got sorted with a club yet? Saul Deeney?

DannyInvincible
19/08/2011, 1:46 PM
Or Gerard Doherty.

co. down green
19/08/2011, 2:31 PM
Saul Deeney it is

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/8164/301368641.png

DannyInvincible
19/08/2011, 6:18 PM
Is there a comprehensive list of all northern-born players to have declared/played for us? I'm bound to have missed a fair few, but, since 1995, I can think of:

Ger Crossley
Saul Deeney
Kevin Deery
Daniel Devine
Gerard Doherty
Shane Duffy
Shane Ferguson (Assuming he goes through with the switch.)
Paul George
Darron Gibson
RuairĂ­ Harkin
Tony Kane
Daniel Kearns
Neil McCafferty
James McClean
Patrick McEleney
Shane McEleney
Mark McKeever
Henry McStay
Barry Molloy
Marc Mukendi
Michael O'Connor
Eunan O'Kane
Tony Shields
Marc Wilson

Then, those who've been eligible through northern ancestry:

Adam Barton
Alex Bruce
Alan Kernaghan (First played in 1993.)
Carl Magnay (Has he declared?)

We've also had northern-born women play for our women's team, I believe.

co. down green
19/08/2011, 9:06 PM
Is there a comprehensive list of all northern-born players to have declared/played for us? I'm bound to have missed a fair few, but, since 1995, I can think of:

Ger Crossley
Saul Deeney
Kevin Deery
Daniel Devine
Gerard Doherty
Shane Duffy
Shane Ferguson (Assuming he goes through with the switch.)
Paul George
Darron Gibson
RuairĂ­ Harkin
Tony Kane
Daniel Kearns
Neil McCafferty
James McClean
Patrick McEleney
Shane McEleney
Mark McKeever
Henry McStay
Barry Molloy
Marc Mukendi
Michael O'Connor
Eunan O'Kane
Tony Shields
Marc Wilson

Then, those who've been eligible through northern ancestry:

Adam Barton
Alex Bruce
Alan Kernaghan (First played in 1993.)
Carl Magnay (Has he declared?)

We've also had northern-born women play for our women's team, I believe.

Andy Kilmartin
James Quigley
Darren McCauley
Brian Lagan
Larry Farren
David McDaid
Eugene Ferry
Mark Hicks

DannyInvincible
20/08/2011, 1:17 AM
The following was an exchange on Twitter between O'Kane and a NI fan earlier:

@eunan10 could you inform the supporters of the real reason for you opting for the Republic of Ireland. They have a right to know! Thanks.

@thegawa after some of the comments I got from people yesterday that don't know anything about me you deserve nothing!

@eunan10 am i them? no! jumping because you weren't getting selected for the senior side is not an excuse.

@thegawa who said it was anything to do with not being selected for the senior side! Now you are assuming, the same way a few people did yesterday that I did it because of where am from or what I am!

@eunan10 if it is peer pressure & community beliefs then why can paddy mccourt & niall mcginn represent N. Ireland & get cheered by fans?

@eunan10 only going by what I read from sources. if there is an issue with anthem and/or flag etc. let us know so we can rectify problem(s). The main issue is that you waited until now to jump. why? what has changed that prevented you from switching well before now? Did you not see the Northern Ireland fans give Paddy McCourt a standing ovation before & after the game vs the Faroe Islands?

@thegawa if you speak to anyone that knows me personally every single one of them will tell you that the flag/anthem is not an issue for me!

@eunan10 thats good to hear but if it isnt that or not getting selected for the seniors what else can it be? If we dont know we cant fix it. I am only trying 2 understand the reason behind the switch. There is a player drain to the FAI & it would b good 2 know the reasons.

@thegawa For me personally there's two or three footballing reasons! I aint going to go into them now but when my clearance has come through then I will tell everyone what they are!

@eunan10 Fair enough if it is to have a better chance of qualifying for tournaments or improve career prospects thats your choice. I just wish you & the rest had made the switch much earlier. Thats the main annoyance with fans that you waited until going through the ranks & then going. There are development/travel costs invested which have been wasted. Players missing out on getting selected etc. well good luck with your chosen path anyway, you will move up the leagues soon as you have that potential. Their gain is our loss.

@thegawa thanks! I am sure we will speak again when my reasons become public! I appreciate you actually trying to find out the actual reasons unlike some who just assumed yesterday!

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2011, 1:25 AM
Not sure what to make of that.

I will never understand the costs argument that is constantly brought up around player switches. The vast majority of that money is "wasted" in the sense that the players don't make the grade at the top level. The same amount is spent on every player who gets selected for a particular game and, in most cases, the players who've opted to switch to the Republic only played a few games for Northern Ireland. It's peanuts compared to the money spent on players who weren't good enough to make the step up.

DannyInvincible
20/08/2011, 4:26 AM
I thought it was an interesting exchange for a few reasons. The initial message is indicative of the arrogant assumption amongst a large number of NI fans that they are owed something by these players or have some sort of divine right to be dictating upon matters which are absolutely none of their business. Sometimes I have to wonder if it's a cultural legacy thing; some sort of residual mindset left over from a past heyday (not on the football field)...

Thinking about James McClean, for example, he was trained by Trojans and then came through the ranks at Derry City of the League of Ireland to make his debut at the age of 18 in 2008. In all that time, he was never a regular feature within any IFA team. He then featured in the 2008 Milk Cup for NI and was later called into a number of under-21 squads. How much investment were the IFA genuinely putting in there? Were they putting in more than he was offering back, and, if so, would that somehow morally justify calls that he owes them something further in return beyond those merely temporary arrangements? It's very difficult to see how.

O'Kane reserves his right to privacy, and rightly so, but what some NI fans seem to fail to be able to grasp is that possessing a cultural Irish identity does not necessarily entail that an individual must be a militant republican or turn red with rage at the sight of an 'Ulster Banner'. I find that to be indicative of an extraordinarily puzzling, claustrophobic and paranoid mentality. The 'Ulster Banner' might just be as irrelevant to Eunan O'Kane culturally as the flag of France of Germany. He doesn't have to seethe with rage at the sight of it, or even have any issue with it, to express his national identity, or to just be Irish. Sadly, this particular inquisitor also seems keen to dismiss an Irish identity as peer pressure from the community, but I suppose that's nothing new.

osarusan
20/08/2011, 7:38 AM
I will never understand the costs argument that is constantly brought up around player switches. The vast majority of that money is "wasted" in the sense that the players don't make the grade at the top level. The same amount is spent on every player who gets selected for a particular game and, in most cases, the players who've opted to switch to the Republic only played a few games for Northern Ireland. It's peanuts compared to the money spent on players who weren't good enough to make the step up.

But every national side has youth training in the knowledge that only a tiny percent of those trained will be good enough. It's one thing to 'lose' money on players who aren't good enough, but it's another thing to 'lose' money on players who eventually decide (or who knew all along) that they'd rather play for somebody else.

There is a finite amount of time and cash available, and any training a player like O'Kane may have received might have meant that another player was forced to miss out. I know Danny has made the argument that any time/effort/money invested in these players is repaid by the performances they give at underage level, but I think that's a bit simplistic. There is a dual aim when training younger players - to produce better underage sides and to produce better senior sides. Players are trained (or at least, were trained) by the IFA in the understanding (or assumption might be a better word) that these players want to play for Northern Ireland at all levels. I think the IFA have a right to feel somewhat aggrieved when a player decides they want to play for ROI at senior level.

If a player (say... 14 years old) was to tell the IFA that he was perfectly happy to play for NI at underage levels, but when he reached senior level, he fully intended to declare for the ROI, would it have an affect on their attitude to him?

DannyInvincible
20/08/2011, 8:13 AM
But every national side has youth training in the knowledge that only a tiny percent of those trained will be good enough. It's one thing to 'lose' money on players who aren't good enough, but it's another thing to 'lose' money on players who eventually decide (or who knew all along) that they'd rather play for somebody else.

There is a finite amount of time and cash available, and any training a player like O'Kane may have received might have meant that another player was forced to miss out. I know Danny has made the argument that any time/effort/money invested in these players is repaid by the performances they give at underage level, but I think that's a bit simplistic. There is a dual aim when training younger players - to produce better underage sides and to produce better senior sides. Players are trained (or at least, were trained) by the IFA in the understanding (or assumption might be a better word) that these players want to play for Northern Ireland at all levels. I think the IFA have a right to feel somewhat aggrieved when a player decides they want to play for ROI at senior level.

If a player (say... 14 years old) was to tell the IFA that he was perfectly happy to play for NI at underage levels, but when he reached senior level, he fully intended to declare for the ROI, would it have an affect on their attitude to him?

I'm not dismissing your argument lightly - there is a grievance there that is worth consideration - but just on that last point, the IFA were long aware of Shane Duffy's interest in playing for us. He'd attended an FAI training camp and expressed his desire to figures within the IFA. The funny thing, however, was that that didn't actually deter them from selecting him; they did the complete opposite, in fact, and fast-tracked him through the various levels by offering him carrot caps. The fact they've employed Gerry Anderson as "Elite Player Nentor", and just reading his tone in the media, I get the impression that they'll be continuing with such a policy whereby they'll devote more favourable or greater attention to potential or open waverers than those they might perceive to be steadfastly loyal.

As regards the main point though - just to iron it out really - at what point, if any, can a player legitimately feel like he no longer owes the association anything? By partaking in one squad, say, is he ethically obliged to attend the next if called upon?

When the IFA select any player, they're fully aware that international football is a voluntary endeavour. They can lose a George McCartney just as easily as a Shane Duffy, for example. It's a risk for any association and the FAI haven't been immune to losing players to other associations either, albeit not so extensively. We've lost players like Shane Lowry and Johnny Gorman to Australia and NI respectively. And then there's the likes of Stephen Ireland. In saying all that, if FIFA were to re-implement an age cap by which players had to make a decisive declaration, I don't think I would have any problem with that whatsoever in principle. The IFA are more than free to lobby FIFA on that matter and I'm sure they could find willing backers within the FFF to bolster their case if shrewd enough to approach them after the whole quotas thing came to light.

co. down green
20/08/2011, 10:41 AM
Jaysus, have the IFA employed Gerry Anderson Danny :)? and him a Derry man.

osarusan
20/08/2011, 11:03 AM
As regards the main point though - just to iron it out really - at what point, if any, can a player legitimately feel like he no longer owes the association anything? By partaking in one squad, say, is he ethically obliged to attend the next if called upon?

I don't think that 'owing the association' is the term I'd use. I think it's more about being aggrieved that time and effort has been spent on a player who later represents another team.

I think it's not unreasonable that the IFA offer training on the assumption that the recipients of the training have as their goal eventually representing NI at senior level. They have a right to feel that, to a certain extent, they have been 'used' by a player who continues to take advantage of whatever training they offer having already decided to declare for the ROI. Any player who does this is cheating the IFA, in my opinion.

Now, I'm not saying that happens all the time, or even a lot. There are players, I'm sure, who are genuinely undecided about which national team they want to play for. They may even wait until they get a call up for a senior cap (or even until a competitive cap) before really having to think about it.

BonnieShels
20/08/2011, 11:10 AM

He's just a puppet of a man.

ArdeeBhoy
20/08/2011, 11:24 AM
Boom, boom.

ArdeeBhoy
20/08/2011, 11:29 AM
The initial message is indicative of the arrogant assumption amongst a large number of NI fans that they are owed something by these players or have some sort of divine right to be dictating upon matters which are absolutely none of their business. Sometimes I have to wonder if it's a cultural legacy thing; some sort of residual mindset left over from a past heyday (not on the football field)...

I find that to be indicative of an extraordinarily puzzling, claustrophobic and paranoid mentality.

It's called 'control freakery' (of the worst and most arrogant kind).

He's just a puppet of a man.
Well, the cap fits...

co. down green
20/08/2011, 11:32 AM
I don't think that 'owing the association' is the term I'd use. I think it's more about being aggrieved that time and effort has been spent on a player who later represents another team.

But the IFA are happy to approach players who are with other associations, associations that have trained & invested in players, how can they moan when someone does likewise?

The IFA play the 'victims card' about Irish players born in the north opting for Ireland yet they are happy to do exactly the same when looking for players.

Lee Camp, Johnny Gorman, Alex Bruce, Caolan Lavery,Oliver Norwood, Joe Dudgeon, Callum Morris etc...... all had time invested in them by the FAI, English FA & Canadian FA - I don't see the same 'poor wee us' attitude emanating from those associations.

The IFA attitude stinks of hypocrisy.

And its also worth noting that a large proportion of IFA funding comes via the public purse, from taxes, rates etc..so it's my money, and the money of a sizable proportion of the population in the North whose attitude would be that they are quite happy for players to opt to play for Ireland.

DannyInvincible
20/08/2011, 11:36 AM

I'd re-read that and everything but didn't even notice, although Anderson might be of use. Sure didn't he popularise the term 'Stroke City'?

ArdeeBhoy
20/08/2011, 12:01 PM
But the IFA are happy to approach players who are with another associations, associations that have trained & invested in players, how can they moan when someone does likewise?

The IFA play the 'victims card' about Irish players born in the north opting for Ireland yet they are happy to do exactly the same when looking for players.

Lee Camp, Johnny Gorman, Alex Bruce, Caolan Lavery,Oliver Norwood, Joe Dudgeon, Callum Morris etc...... all had time invested in them by the FAI, English FA & Canadian FA - I don't see the same 'poor wee us' attitude emanating from those associations.

The IFA attitude stinks of hypocrisy.

And its also worth noting that a large proportion of IFA funding comes via the public purse, from taxes, rates etc..so it's my money, and the money of a sizable proportion of the population in the North whose attitude would be that they are quite happy for players to opt to play for Ireland.
Sure, it's their collective 'siege mentality'...

DannyInvincible
20/08/2011, 12:01 PM
Now, I'm not saying that happens all the time, or even a lot. There are players, I'm sure, who are genuinely undecided about which national team they want to play for. They may even wait until they get a call up for a senior cap (or even until a competitive cap) before really having to think about it.

Yeah, I don't think they're as calculating and intentionally-exploitative about it all as NI fans try to make out. It's generally a case of a young lad happy to get a bit of local recognition, accepts a call-up, forms bonds with coaches and team-mates, things snowball and then it kind of comes to the point where he has to actually make a crucial decision.

Charlie Darwin
21/08/2011, 12:57 AM

Well that's sort of my point. They should be arguing that the players are hampering the association's efforts to build up a better senior squad, not this financial red herring. Although it could also be argued that players like Duffy made the underage sides better than they would otherwise have been and better results benefit the players in the long-run.

Not Brazil
21/08/2011, 10:41 AM
NB; I think you mentioned a few pages back that Derry City were still members of the IFA. Is this true?

It is.

Not Brazil
21/08/2011, 10:46 AM
Read it mainly as a rant mainly about those people, mainly clowns, who claim to be 'both' British & Irish*.
:rolleyes:

I suspect the irony of your assertion is lost on you in the context of a discussion about eligibility for both international sides on the island of Ireland.

Not Brazil
21/08/2011, 11:00 AM
Just another thing on the role of Gerry "EPN" Armstrong, presumably you inherently disagree with the IFA even setting up such a position, NB, because if players are having second thoughts about playing for NI, then they shouldn't be considered at all? Or am I picking you up incorrectly?

I have serious misgivings about aspects of the role Armstrong seems to be involved in eg, "It's time me and James McClean had a chat".

No, it's not Gerry - the chatting should have been done long ago.

I'm for weeding players out of the IFA system, who have designs on playing for the South. Players with ambitions to develop and progress into the Northern Ireland senior squad should form the cornerstone of our underage setup. In other words, players whose childhood dream is to represent Northern Ireland.

I've no issues at all with players from Northern Ireland who wish to play for the South doing so - I believe such players should make those intentions known to the FAI at the earliest available opportunity ie. before representing Northern Ireland at Under 19 level, or above.

For those who continue to fence sit - their bluff should be called asap. ie. the IFA should help them make their mind up.

McClean's moment of truth has been and gone.

Not Brazil
21/08/2011, 11:08 AM
I presume NB is also "uneasy" with Lee Camp representing NI. Lee Camp was always aware of his eligibility for NI but chose England and had relative success with England at underage level.

No - not uneasy at all about Camp.

Lee Camp is English born and bred - it seems natural to me that his first love would be England.

The difference between Camp and Bruce is obvious - one publicly turned down a call to represent Northern Ireland in extremely patronising/disparaging terms, the other didn't.

Not Brazil
21/08/2011, 11:18 AM

Have any of the above players ever intimated that it was their childhood dream to represent Northern Ireland?

Not Brazil
21/08/2011, 12:56 PM
In Northern Ireland it's the same thing. Lets not kid ourselves here. We live in a backwater where your political ideaoligy is confirmed the day you are born. The only Catholics I've ever seen really embracing their Norn Irishness is Rory McIlroy and Gerry Armstrong. Though even Rory doesn't come out for the football team.

It is not the "same thing".

Plenty of "Catholics" see themselves as Northern Irish primarily.

http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2010/Community_Relations/NINATID.html

Many "Catholics" see themselves as more than "Irish only".

Many "Catholics" and "Protestants" do not identify themselves as either Nationalist or Unionist.

http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2010/Political_Attitudes/UNINATID.html

Rory does "come out" for the Northern Ireland team - check out the recent BBC documentary on him, following his US Open triumph.

I would refer you to the thread in "Current Affairs" concerning Identity.

Not Brazil
21/08/2011, 1:12 PM
This mythical (P) meaning what exactly...

Because he had no other choice at the time....

That they'd given up GAA?? Shouldn't you all be supporting Aontroma....

1. Erm, "Provisional".

2. Why do you say Sammy Clinghan did not have a choice at the time???

3. Glad you raised that about Aontroma - despite the County having a "Unionist majority", I'm unaware of anyone from the "Unionist community" having represented Aontroma at senior level, in either football or hurling, in the past 80 years. Seems to be an exclusively nationalist/republican thing to me.

Besides - the County HQ is situated in a staunchly Republican area - perhaps the Aontroma County Board should consider moving from Casement to a more "cross community" venue - that way they might attract more support from the "Unionist community" of County Aontoma?

Perhaps there are anomolies with nationalist/republican gripes about the Northern Ireland set up?

Predator
21/08/2011, 3:28 PM
No - not uneasy at all about Camp.But Camp is denying a young Northern Irishman, whose dream it is to play for Northern Ireland, the chance to realise that dream, don't you understand? He's taking up a space despite it not being his dream!

DannyInvincible
21/08/2011, 4:37 PM
I'm for weeding players out of the IFA system, who have designs on playing for the South. Players with ambitions to develop and progress into the Northern Ireland senior squad should form the cornerstone of our underage setup. In other words, players whose childhood dream is to represent Northern Ireland.

That's not Armstrong's role though, is it? In fact, Armstrong's role is to do the exact opposite of weeding out players; his role is to attempt to convince players who might have designs on playing for the FAI to stick with the IFA. Essentially, his job is to prolong for as long as possible or to make permanent what you see as a pretence.

Not Brazil
21/08/2011, 4:48 PM
But Camp is denying a young Northern Irishman, whose dream it is to play for Northern Ireland, the chance to realise that dream, don't you understand? He's taking up a space despite it not being his dream!

Has Camp ever represented Northern Ireland, at any level, whilst harbouring ongoing aspirations of playing for England?

If we have any such players in our underage set-up, they need to be weeded out.