PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

gastric
17/03/2014, 9:47 PM
It's a fair point, Crafty.

Bamford played once for the U18's when he was at Nottingham Forest. He is now owned by Chelsea, playing for the England U21's and is firing in the goals for Derby. It's pointless talking about him. Maybe he will become relevant to this discussion again when he is in his mid to late twenties and depending on his career trajectory. McManaman is being discussed as a possible for the England WC squad so, again, pointless and irrelevant to the discussion.

But you are right about Lonergan, Bunn and Tierney. They are not very good options but it's hard to flesh out a list of tenable options from the Granny rule pool. I shouldn't have bothered naming Redmond either because he is too young, has too much potential, too tenuous and is too disinterested to be a realistic option either.

And where did you get your information on Redmond? Where has he stated he is disinterested or interested, or are these comments from 'The World according to TOWK.'

TheOneWhoKnocks
17/03/2014, 10:15 PM
Mainly the fact that he is playing for England U21's and hasn't once confirmed his alleged eligibility.

Stuttgart88
17/03/2014, 10:24 PM
Be surprised then:) It's (hypothetically) unprecedented.
Where you have a new FIFA member from a new breakaway region/country, whose players are not playing with the 'mother' FA, but with other countries in Europe.
And hypothetically (on being accepted as full member), Kosovo are looking for an amnesty for those capped players.so, are there many good Crimean footballers who have played for Ukraine?

NeverFeltBetter
17/03/2014, 10:35 PM
Crimea's accession to Russia is even less likely to be recognised by FIFA or UEFA than Kosovo's independence.

Charlie Darwin
18/03/2014, 12:12 AM
Hard to see anything wrong with Davies' comments. He's not attempting to plant seeds in future by ingratiating people and talking about his proud Irish roots or anything. I hope he gets his England cap - he's surely not much worse than their alternatives.

gastric
18/03/2014, 3:06 AM
Mainly the fact that he is playing for England U21's and hasn't once confirmed his alleged eligibility.
So your comments are opinion rather than facts. Clarke captained the English U20s and now plays for us. I feel you need to justify your opinions more as they could be well off the mark.

TheOneWhoKnocks
18/03/2014, 8:02 AM
So your comments are opinion rather than facts. Clarke captained the English U20s and now plays for us. I feel you need to justify your opinions more as they could be well off the mark.

Redmond is an current England U21 International and hasn't declared his eligibility; that much is true.

There was a gap of two and a half years between Clark's last match at any level for England and his first call up for Ireland. He also - crucially - confirmed his eligibility and interest in playing for the country; and promptly at that. I think he has two Irish parents. I think he is more attached to the country than Redmond is but that is just my instinct.

Stuttgart88
18/03/2014, 9:49 AM
I'd agree with that. I think Clark's mum is from Leitrim, his dad born in Scotland to a Leitrim family. Something like that anyway.

DannyInvincible
18/03/2014, 10:09 AM
Not far wrong. Clark's paternal side of the family are from Donegal (http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/sport/fai-to-check-ciaran-clark-s-availability-1-2007481). :)

Although London born, Clark is the grandson of Vera Clark, originally from Moyle Hill in Milford, but presently living in Manorcunningham. Ciaran's father Michael, although born in Edinburgh when his family were working in Scotland for a time, is a former student of Drummond National School in Ballyare and played for Milford United under Fr Michael Herrity as a teenager.

geysir
18/03/2014, 10:13 AM
so, are there many good Crimean footballers who have played for Ukraine?
'They (Russia) can take part of our land, but they can't take our internationally capped footballers' :)

bwagner
19/03/2014, 6:50 AM
Lad called Liam O'Neil played (sub) for West brom at the weekend..anyone heard of him ?

sadloserkid
19/03/2014, 7:30 AM
Lad called Liam O'Neil played (sub) for West brom at the weekend..anyone heard of him ?

He's English born anyway, dunno if he qualifies.

DannyInvincible
19/03/2014, 8:04 AM
Not sure if he qualifies either, but his hair has Irish roots alright.

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/2013-14/December/m-bu21pl-liam-oneil-west-bromwich-albion-2.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

ArdeeBhoy
19/03/2014, 1:43 PM
Eligible for Cymru?
Liam O'neil | Apostle Welsh International Football Forum (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=liam%20o'neill%2C%20west%20bromwich%20albion&source=web&cd=19&ved=0CF8QFjAIOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fapostlewelshfootie.proboards.com% 2Fthread%2Fnext%2F2471&ei=4qwpU_y3Auev0QXlz4GwCQ&usg=AFQjCNHg8Qxrm-SsubH8Aps3BEFUiHuIHA&bvm=bv.62922401,d.d2k)

ArdeeBhoy
20/03/2014, 2:57 PM
Robbie McDaid, signed by Leeds today, supposedly the newest 'wunderkid' from the North?

Presumably, he's not yet tied down internationally?

Stuttgart88
12/04/2014, 7:46 AM
My two kids got their FBR certificates last week. I was spooked by Ealing Green's assertion that they weren't Irish up until that point. My son can wear his Ireland top with more authenticity now. My daughter doesn't care.

DannyInvincible
12/04/2014, 9:58 AM
It's been three years now and yet his ghost still haunts these hallowed chambers.

My son can wear his Ireland top with more authenticity now.

EG won't like that.

My daughter doesn't care.

EG will love that.

Stuttgart88
12/04/2014, 1:40 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how Richard Brush (a sweeper keeper?) is eligible for Ireland? I see he is Birmingham born but didn't realise until recently that he was in our U19 squad last year.

Does he have Irish ancestry or is it under residency rules?

DannyInvincible
12/04/2014, 1:50 PM
Sligo's Richard Brush? He's 29. Are you sure he was in our under-19 squad, and last year? He first signed for Sligo in 2006, so he'd probably be eligible on residence, if he is definitely eligible. He might well have Irish ancestry also.

Charlie Darwin
12/04/2014, 2:00 PM
Yeah, Brush wasn't in any squad, but he would be eligible for Ireland on residency.

Stuttgart88
12/04/2014, 2:36 PM
Sorry. I was doing some background work on Connor Dimaio and came across this article on FAI.ie...

http://www.fai.ie/international/under-19/103442-u19-squad-changes-for-norway-friendlies.html

...and misread the Richard Brush bit. I read it that Brush had withdrawn from the FAI team, but he had been injured for Rovers causing his replacement to withdraw from the FAI team. Duh.

Charlie Darwin
12/04/2014, 2:45 PM
Ah, that'd be the one. Fagan is just back after being released by Coventry, or Cuventrah as Michael D puts it.

Stuttgart88
23/04/2014, 5:08 PM
Adnan Januzaj declares for Belgium according to SSN.

BonnieShels
23/04/2014, 5:39 PM
Always gonna happen.

I saw a pic online a couple of weeks ago where he was wearing the Belgian colours on his socks...

DannyInvincible
23/04/2014, 9:51 PM
Jesus, the BBC are still peddling this line: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27133764

Signed by United from Anderlecht for a reported fee of £297,000, Januzaj could have played for England from 2018 assuming he remained in the country.

Fifa rules state a player is eligible if "he has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant association".

:rolleyes:

ArdeeBhoy
24/04/2014, 11:14 AM
'Lol' springs to mind...

geysir
24/04/2014, 12:53 PM
Not just the BBC peddling the line, it's viral. I bet if we dig a bit, it will be revealed that the IFA are the source of the misinformation.

Considering Albania was a longshot and never-ever-in-a-million-years Serbia, essentially the choice Januzaj had was between a country not recognised in the sporting world as a country and Brazil bound Belgium.

Fixer82
24/04/2014, 1:37 PM
Would have liked to have seen him play for Albania. Don't think it was that long a shot to be honest. The early reports was that that was his preference.
Sounds like the Albanian FA screwed it up royally though. Boy I'd be pi$$ed if I was an Albanian fan right now

geysir
24/04/2014, 1:48 PM
Would have liked to have seen him play for Albania. Don't think it was that long a shot to be honest. The early reports was that that was his preference.
Sounds like the Albanian FA screwed it up royally though. Boy I'd be pi$$ed if I was an Albanian fan right now
I thought the Albania move was a longshot after I read this interview (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10389639/Adnan-Januzajs-interview-with-Kosovan-TV-station-KTV-the-full-transcript.html) with his father on a Kosovan tv station, Oct 2013.

On Albania national team:
"I want to let everyone now that until now I never had any call from the Albania FA (FSHF), to sit down and talk.
They never called us, the only thing they did was to misinform the public, saying they talked to Januzaj, which is not true.
I hear an official from the Albanian FA said they talked to me eight months ago, which is a blatant lie. I know they did a show called "Patriot or Traitor" for my son and FSHF said they called him up.
That is not true. They are not professionals, they have to send the request to Manchester United first. For now, I am not closing the doors to Albania, because we are Albanians.
I was born in Kosovo, in Istog. However, they are closing the doors to themselves. They are sending me people, like they tried with Lorik Cana, the Albania captain.
I respect his career, but he has no influence on me whatsoever. I only deal with professionals of the issue."

Fixer82
24/04/2014, 1:55 PM
"For now, I am not closing the doors to Albania, because we are Albanians"

That was the line that made me think it's not a long shot but, as i said, it looks like the Albanian FA made a right hash of it. Saps!

sadloserkid
30/04/2014, 2:55 PM
To be honest it just looks like somebody declaring for the best team open to him really. Fairly mercenary I would have thought.

Charlie Darwin
30/04/2014, 3:25 PM
I wouldn't really call that mercenary, just ambitious.

geysir
30/04/2014, 3:34 PM
To be honest it just looks like somebody declaring for the best team open to him really. Fairly mercenary I would have thought.
Fairly mercenary? What are talking about? he's born and bred in Belgium and you say he's a mercenary for choosing Belgium? Is he the wrong colour or wrong ethnic background to choose Belgium without somebody branding him a mercenary? A Belgian with an ethnic background who chooses belgium is a mercenary??
There was no English choice available, that was just fantasy paper talk, he could have chosen Kosova but they cannot play competively, possibly he could have chosen the land of his mother, Albania but that didn't go too well, and possibly Turkey? grandparent? But he choses the land of his birth and you think he's a mercenary:rolleyes:

BonnieShels
30/04/2014, 4:03 PM
What he said. :)

So by SLK's logic Michael Keane and Martin Keown are mercenaries.

What does that make Andy Townsend or Mark Lawrenson then?

Stuttgart88
30/04/2014, 4:59 PM
Really annoying pundits?

BonnieShels
30/04/2014, 9:14 PM
Lawrenson is in a league of his own though.

samhaydenjr
01/05/2014, 1:18 AM
Jesus, the BBC are still peddling this line: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27133764

http://foot.ie/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by BBC Sport
Signed by United from Anderlecht for a reported fee of £297,000, Januzaj could have played for England from 2018 assuming he remained in the country.

Fifa rules state a player is eligible if "he has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant association".

:rolleyes:

Crikey, the way people were talking about Januzaj, I thought he'd already been in England a few years and was on the verge of qualification for them - it's ridiculous to expect a player who's just had a breakthrough season for Manchester United to wait four years to play international football - they're sounding as desperate for eligible players as...well...us sometimes

DannyInvincible
01/05/2014, 8:51 AM
Crikey, the way people were talking about Januzaj, I thought he'd already been in England a few years and was on the verge of qualification for them - it's ridiculous to expect a player who's just had a breakthrough season for Manchester United to wait four years to play international football - they're sounding as desperate for eligible players as...well...us sometimes

Whether he was to wait four years or not, he still wouldn't be eligible to play for England: http://sport.stv.tv/blog/242115-explained-why-manchester-uniteds-adnan-januzaj-cant-play-for-england/

However under the terms of an agreement between England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, the Football Association have no hope of capping Januzaj should the opportunity present itself in 2018.

The "home nations" agreed to opt out of the residency rule in 2009. FIFA's statutes state that "associations sharing a common nationality", as is the case with the four nations, can make an agreement to remove the residency clause. Said agreement exists between the four associations.

As an alternative, the four nations can make a claim to naturalise a player if he received a minimum of five years education on the association's "territory" before his 18th birthday.

tetsujin1979
01/05/2014, 9:02 AM
Islam Feruz has declared for Scotland under the education clause: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_Feruz

sadloserkid
01/05/2014, 10:19 AM
I thought he was Albanian born. Apologies to one and all. :D

BonnieShels
01/05/2014, 1:53 PM
Islam Feruz has declared for Scotland under the education clause: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_Feruz

He has played for them since U16, jaypers.

Anyone ever seen anything of him?

Dunners
02/05/2014, 11:39 AM
Connor Wickham handed April award
Sunderland striker Connor Wickham was named Player of the Month.
The 21-year-old scored five times to take his team out of the drop zone, with key strikes against title contenders Manchester City and Chelsea.

Does any one have any further info on Martin's supposed interest in bringing this player on board - from last Nov

Republic of Ireland manager Martin O’Neill is considering a move for England Under 21 striker Connor Wickham as he scours the English and Scottish leagues for new talent.

TheOneWhoKnocks
02/05/2014, 12:00 PM
Connor Wickham handed April award
Sunderland striker Connor Wickham was named Player of the Month.
The 21-year-old scored five times to take his team out of the drop zone, with key strikes against title contenders Manchester City and Chelsea.

Does any one have any further info on Martin's supposed interest in bringing this player on board - from last Nov

Republic of Ireland manager Martin O’Neill is considering a move for England Under 21 striker Connor Wickham as he scours the English and Scottish leagues for new talent.

He told Roy Keane that he has no interest in playing for Ireland. The only reason he is eligible is because his dad was a British Army officer who happened to be born in Ulster. He is not motivated to play for Ireland. He has extremely tenuous links to the country. He probably wouldn't get in the team if he did declare. Bemuses me why people want lads like this playing for our country.

Here's his dad's Twitter. https://twitter.com/Stefan8271

Clearly proud of his "Irish" heritage.

Charlie Darwin
02/05/2014, 12:32 PM
He told Roy Keane that he has no interest in playing for Ireland. The only reason he is eligible is because his dad was a British Army officer who happened to be born in Ulster. He is not motivated to play for Ireland. He has extremely tenuous links to the country. He probably wouldn't get in the team if he did declare. Bemuses me why people want lads like this playing for our country.

@MileyCyrus (https://twitter.com/MileyCyrus) got ur Album and it's the only Album I have ever bought that I have never Hit next, and I am 42 :0/ Beat Album EVER

If MON was against James McClean being on Twitter, just imagine how he'd feel about this.

Dunners
02/05/2014, 12:47 PM
Bemuses me why people want lads like this playing for our country

I feel I must apologise up front TOWK

I posted hoping for a response from you and you didn’t let me down. The fish took the bait.

Glad you did though as I had not realised that he had responded and had no interest in joining the cause.

And no we would not want lads like him joining the fold. However ,if he had any links to heritage then that’s another matter.

Whether or not he would get into the team is just based on opinion and you are entitled to yours.

gastric
02/05/2014, 11:10 PM

He has made his position clear and yet again TOWK you use it to make a point that you have made ad nauseam. There seems to be a bit of OCD at work here!;)

ArdeeBhoy
03/05/2014, 9:34 AM

His heritage is from Kosovo. Not quite the same as Albanian...

TheOneWhoKnocks
03/05/2014, 3:15 PM
He has made his position clear and yet again TOWK you use it to make a point that you have made ad nauseam. There seems to be a bit of OCD at work here!;)

We all have OCD in different ways, gastric. Some people feel compelled to enquire about prospective eligibility for players with remotely sounding Irish names, players who had parents/ grandparents serving in the British Army in Northern Ireland, ginger hair, players with Irish girlfriends (Matt Derbyshire). 95% of whom are bang average and not playing International football for their native country for very good reasons.

Stuttgart88
03/05/2014, 4:16 PM
I think anyone who's a regular here has some kind of mental disorder.

SkStu
03/05/2014, 4:38 PM
I think anyone who's a regular here has some kind of mental disorder.

SkStu definitely does.