PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

DannyInvincible
03/05/2011, 4:09 PM
It would be interesting to see what the FAI would do should a young Protestant sensation come through the NI ranks.

Probably the same thing they usually do; wait for some indication of interest.

Not Brazil
03/05/2011, 4:46 PM
Probably the same thing they usually do; wait for some indication of interest.

Nah - stuff that.

Just approach them, and get Tardelli to make the "we'd like you"..."contact us, if you like" noises.

It goes like this:

"He hasn't indicated to us, but I like him," smiled the Irish No 2. "There are many ways for him to contact us."

Don Givens can do the confirmation that the FAI have made the approach.

Not Brazil
03/05/2011, 4:57 PM
And I think what Predator is getting at is the idea that if the IFA are to begin attempting to pre-empt the switching of players to the FAI that they might fear due to socio-cultural background and demographic reality, they could very easily fall victim to the same accusations the FAI do from NI fans when they're being lambasted for apparently targeting young nationalist footballers on a sectarian basis.

An alternative might be for the IFA to not select "young nationalist footballers" until they approach the IFA asking to be considered. Parity with the FAI, and all that.:p

Predator
03/05/2011, 5:01 PM
Nah - stuff that.

Just approach them, and get Tardelli to make the "we'd like you"..."contact us, if you like" noises.

It goes like this:

"He hasn't indicated to us, but I like him," smiled the Irish No 2. "There are many ways for him to contact us."

Don Givens can do the confirmation that the FAI have made the approach.Have the FAI made the approach? Or did Ferguson make his intentions clear to the FAI?

Not Brazil
03/05/2011, 5:17 PM
Have the FAI made the approach? Or did Ferguson make his intentions clear to the FAI?

Seems very much like the FAI made the approach to me - given the words of both Givens and Tardelli. Couple that with an interview Ferguson gave to a Northern Ireland fanzine recently.

It's also apparent that Ferguson is not at all "clear"... "he hasn't indicated to us" / "There are many ways for him to contact us."

...former Irish under 21 boss Don Givens confirmed that the FAI had approached Derry-born Shane Ferguson about the possibility of playing for the Republic of Ireland....“Shane is still kind of making his mind up but Mick Martin has spoken to him,” Givens told journalists.

Either that, or the words of Givens and Tardelli are not disguised very well.

co. down green
03/05/2011, 5:28 PM
The evidence produced so far by the FAI indicates criteria of a player being from a "nationalist background".:D

Or perhaps we should listen to what the players say.

Marc Wilson “It’s the best honour you can get to represent your country – it’s always been a dream of mine to play for Ireland”

Darron Gibson “It was unbelievable you know, making the debut for your country. Everyone from Derry wants to play for Ireland. I grew up supporting Ireland, so it was a natural choice for me”

Shane Duffy "I’ve always supported the Republic since I was a young kid, It’s a dream come true for me "

DannyInvincible
03/05/2011, 6:31 PM
Seems very much like the FAI made the approach to me - given the words of both Givens and Tardelli. Couple that with an interview Ferguson gave to a Northern Ireland fanzine recently.

It's also apparent that Ferguson is not at all "clear"... "he hasn't indicated to us" / "There are many ways for him to contact us."

...former Irish under 21 boss Don Givens confirmed that the FAI had approached Derry-born Shane Ferguson about the possibility of playing for the Republic of Ireland....“Shane is still kind of making his mind up but Mick Martin has spoken to him,” Givens told journalists.

Either that, or the words of Givens and Tardelli are not disguised very well.

Tardelli's words indicated that contact hadn't been made by the FAI and that the ball was in Ferguson's court whilst Givens' words don't necessarily indicate a huge deal; certainly not a sectarian targeting scheme. For all we know Ferguson, a family member or a friend might have contacted the FAI in order to learn more or to test the viability and implications of making a switch. The FAI might then have entrusted Mick Martin with having a chat or something to run things through; who knows? Maybe Ferguson spoke with Mick Martin in an informal, off-the-cuff sort of fashion. It would be entirely plausible. After all, Martin is a former Newcastle captain and is based in the area now doing regular radio work in relation to the club. Chances are he might have been around the training ground and bumped into Ferguson, deciding to have a chat with him about it. In fact, is Martin even employed by the FAI?

BonnieShels
03/05/2011, 10:25 PM
Probably both, but it's not as if the FEF would need any encouragement to complain. Granting Gibraltar association status would sent the Catalans and the Basques into fits. Possibly the Valencians too.

Not at all. The FEF do not represent Gibraltar as it is a different state. They readily represent Catalunya, Euskara, Andalucia, Galicia, Castille etc.

I see where you're coming from. I feel that it was more political pressure from the government than any sort of real will from the FEF.

ArdeeBhoy
03/05/2011, 10:30 PM
I also meant to add that I don't think FIFA are obliged to adhere to CAS rulings, but they generally tend to as they'd appear less accountable that way than they already do. I'm open to correction on that though, but I am aware that the Gibraltar Football Association, for example, applied for UEFA membership and had it refused after the Spanish association kicked up a fuss and threatened to boycott competition. This was in spite of Gibraltar taking their case to CAS who ruled that they did in fact have valid grounds for UEFA membership and satisfied FIFA's criteria for confederation membership. More about it on Wiki here.

"On August 25, 2006, it was proposed that Gibraltar will become a provisional member of UEFA. However, a decision on granting this was postponed in October 2006. The decision was made on December 8, 2006 that Gibraltar will be made provisional members of UEFA: FIFA had announced two days earlier that their executive committee had "ruled that Gibraltar does not meet the statutory requirements to become a FIFA member", despite the fact that the Court of Arbitration in Sport had already ruled to the contrary.

On January 26, 2007 Gibraltar membership had been rejected by the UEFA Board with only 3 out of 52 votes supporting Gibraltar's claim. Spain was the strongest opponent to Gibraltar joining UEFA, even threatening to boycott any competition in which the Gibraltar national team would compete.

The issue has again been referred back to the Court of Arbitration for Sport for a ruling."

I'd be against any former colony receiving such status whilst still a colony.
An independent country/region, eg. a UN member would be a different case.

And don't be too hard on NB as he's the only regular Northern-based poster from the 'other' side....

BonnieShels
03/05/2011, 10:38 PM
I'd be against any former colony receiving such status whilst still a colony.
An independent country/region, eg. a UN member would be a different case.

Which would bring the status of England, Wales, Scotland and Not Brazil bit into question? Non?

Not to mention the Faeroes.

ArdeeBhoy
03/05/2011, 11:00 PM
Well exactly, but I think we might :rolleyes: just have covered that in numerous threads 'passim'.

:eek:

BonnieShels
03/05/2011, 11:12 PM
Just saying...

ArdeeBhoy
04/05/2011, 1:41 AM
To be fair to all concerned, it's all been well covered already. Though I'm sure if you wish to revisit, sure you'll find some takers?

ifk101
04/05/2011, 7:03 AM
In fact, is Martin even employed by the FAI?

Let's just say he is known to scout for the FAI.

Whether the FAI made the first approach to Ferguson is unclear. It's likely that they were tipped of Ferguson's interest in playing for us and followed up on that with the player himself. This surely happened in the case of Adam Barton and we know happened in the case of Shane Duffy. There did/ does exist an understanding between the FAI and IFA that the FAI will not make the first move in approaching players that can be perceived in some quarters as IFA players. Under this agreement it is up to the player to initiate his desire to play for the FAI. However with the CAS ruling, and it reaffirmation of the application of the eligibility statutes, there isn't any compelling reason for the FAI to comply with this given the IFA brought them to court on the issue of selecting NI born Irish nationals for its representative sides. In light of this, it is possible that the FAI made the first approach in relation to Ferguson and that Ferguson prior to this approach had no intention of switching. However given certain media outlets willing to highlight the possibility of Ferguson switching to the FAI, the player himself might now feel he has no other choice than to switch as his loyalty to the IFA's cause is in question and will continue to be so.

Not Brazil
04/05/2011, 8:33 AM
It would be interesting to see what the FAI would do should a young Protestant sensation come through the NI ranks. I suppose Jonny Evans was the last one?

I take grave offence at this comment.

To describe Evans as a "sensation" is absolutely scandoulous.:D

Not Brazil
04/05/2011, 8:37 AM
Or perhaps we should listen to what the players say.

Marc Wilson “It’s the best honour you can get to represent your country – it’s always been a dream of mine to play for Ireland”

Darron Gibson “It was unbelievable you know, making the debut for your country. Everyone from Derry wants to play for Ireland. I grew up supporting Ireland, so it was a natural choice for me”

Shane Duffy "I’ve always supported the Republic since I was a young kid, It’s a dream come true for me "

That's great - I'm sure it is a great honour for these boys.

I'm merely suggesting that the IFA help similarly minded players with "childhood dreams" of playing for the Republic make that dream come true for them - as early in their career as possible, thus freeing up Northern Ireland shirts for those players who's childhood dream it is to play for Northern Ireland.

BonnieShels
04/05/2011, 12:35 PM
But the logistics of playing underage soccer would dictate otherwise. The ifa link in with schools. I can't see how some lad from Dungannon who would-be of a nationalist bent and has had as a dream to one day play for Ireland being able to join the FAI underage set-up until he's old enough to enable him to not have to rely on the parents for trips south etc. And that's assuming he's not in an English academy at that stage.
The FAI could start setting up academies in the six if you would rather not have ni jersies 'wasted' on prospective southerners?

Not Brazil
04/05/2011, 12:53 PM
But the logistics of playing underage soccer would dictate otherwise. The ifa link in with schools. I can't see how some lad from Dungannon who would-be of a nationalist bent and has had as a dream to one day play for Ireland being able to join the FAI underage set-up until he's old enough to enable him to not have to rely on the parents for trips south etc. And that's assuming he's not in an English academy at that stage.
The FAI could start setting up academies in the six if you would rather not have ni jersies 'wasted' on prospective southerners?

The FAI can arrange their travel to camps etc in the South.

I'm sure parents who want their kids to play for the South would have few issues with travelling a few extra miles to assist their kid realising their childhood dream.

The FAI could set up camps in Dundalk and Letterkenny, for example, that would facilitate Northern Irish born kids - if they haven't already.

The IFA should continue their work with schools - schoolboy football is a different kettle of fish. Anyone wishing to attend IFA run school based events should be free to continue to do so.

If the player is at an English academy, there's no problem - it's as easy to get to the Republic as it is Northern Ireland from the UK.

Beyond schoolboy football, Northern Ireland jersies should be for those kids who harbour childhood dreams to play for Northern Ireland, and mainland born British Citizens who are eligible (and want) to play for Northern Ireland, provided, of course, they meet the requirements of Article 16.

Any Northern Irish kid who tries his luck with the FAI, and finds, subsequently, that he wants to play for Northern Ireland (for whatever reason) could approach the IFA and make his intentions (and availability for selection) clear - I'm sure, if good enough, they'd be most welcome.

OMTY
04/05/2011, 2:17 PM
What's the story with Caolan Lavery (http://www.itfc.co.uk/page/Academy/0,,10272~1744448,00.html)? The IFA robbed him from the Canucks it? I see Spurs are linked to a half a mill bid for him.I see Spurs are linked to a half a mill bid for him (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/9474405.stm). Is he qualified for us too?

BonnieShels
04/05/2011, 3:19 PM
Depends on the parents.

DannyInvincible
04/05/2011, 3:38 PM
Let's just say he is known to scout for the FAI.

Whether the FAI made the first approach to Ferguson is unclear. It's likely that they were tipped of Ferguson's interest in playing for us and followed up on that with the player himself. This surely happened in the case of Adam Barton and we know happened in the case of Shane Duffy. There did/ does exist an understanding between the FAI and IFA that the FAI will not make the first move in approaching players that can be perceived in some quarters as IFA players. Under this agreement it is up to the player to initiate his desire to play for the FAI. However with the CAS ruling, and it reaffirmation of the application of the eligibility statutes, there isn't any compelling reason for the FAI to comply with this given the IFA brought them to court on the issue of selecting NI born Irish nationals for its representative sides. In light of this, it is possible that the FAI made the first approach in relation to Ferguson and that Ferguson prior to this approach had no intention of switching. However given certain media outlets willing to highlight the possibility of Ferguson switching to the FAI, the player himself might now feel he has no other choice than to switch as his loyalty to the IFA's cause is in question and will continue to be so.

I'm aware that in the case of Duffy, Sean Caffrey made a point of not contacting the player in spite of obvious interest from the player; Duffy attended an FAI training camp and there was plenty of talk on here, other forums via family members (ToffeeTalk, for example) and the local media that he'd rather be playing for Ireland. It wasn't mere rumour either. Furthermore, he even has a father from Letterkenny, yet the FAI were only willing to engage once Duffy initiated contact to declare his intentions officially, which, whilst frustrating to observe as NI continued calling the player into squads, demonstrated how sensitive the FAI were with the issue of selecting northern-born players. I don't think this policy difference, if you will, was ever made known to Duffy who, at the time, probably felt a little confused as to why the onus would be on him as distinct from other Irish players with whom the FAI would have no problem contacting first.

Of course, you're entirely correct. It would be reasonable to view the IFA taking the FAI to CAS as a breach of what had been previously agreed between the two associations. I suppose I was just trying to dispel notions that the FAI are pursuing some sectarian selection policy because it's both ludicrous and annoying, being entirely without foundation, yet appears to be such a prevalent belief within the NI support-base.

I also agree with your final point. I wonder would NI fans be happy to see him line out for them in future knowing he is still in the process of considering a switch. Whether he contacted the FAI, had someone do it on his behalf or failed to shun FAI contact, it all clearly demonstrates that he is not entirely dedicated to their cause.

DannyInvincible
04/05/2011, 3:42 PM
What's the story with Caolan Lavery (http://www.itfc.co.uk/page/Academy/0,,10272~1744448,00.html)? The IFA robbed him from the Canucks it? I see Spurs are linked to a half a mill bid for him.I see Spurs are linked to a half a mill bid for him (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/9474405.stm). Is he qualified for us too?

To the best of my knowledge, anyone with parental or grandparental roots from the island of Ireland qualifies to play for us, so yes. Whether or not the parents or grandparents possess(ed) Irish passports in official acknowledgement of Irish nationality, I don't believe it's necessary.

DannyInvincible
04/05/2011, 4:39 PM
The FAI can arrange their travel to camps etc in the South.

I'm sure parents who want their kids to play for the South would have few issues with travelling a few extra miles to assist their kid realising their childhood dream.

The FAI could set up camps in Dundalk and Letterkenny, for example, that would facilitate Northern Irish born kids - if they haven't already.

The IFA should continue their work with schools - schoolboy football is a different kettle of fish. Anyone wishing to attend IFA run school based events should be free to continue to do so.

If the player is at an English academy, there's no problem - it's as easy to get to the Republic as it is Northern Ireland from the UK.

Beyond schoolboy football, Northern Ireland jersies should be for those kids who harbour childhood dreams to play for Northern Ireland, and mainland born British Citizens who are eligible (and want) to play for Northern Ireland, provided, of course, they meet the requirements of Article 16.

Any Northern Irish kid who tries his luck with the FAI, and finds, subsequently, that he wants to play for Northern Ireland (for whatever reason) could approach the IFA and make his intentions (and availability for selection) clear - I'm sure, if good enough, they'd be most welcome.

That's all well and good, although I've noticed that the tendency has been for northern-born players playing for Derry City - Kevin Deery, Barry Molloy, Marc Mukendi, et cetera - to start out in the under-age squads of the FAI, presumably because they're playing within the FAI's system and the club has formal links to the organisation in Dublin. Meanwhile, for other players from a nationalist background who might have grown up supporting Ireland but played at youth level within the northern system - Shane Duffy (Foyle Harps of the Derry and District League) or Darron Gibson (Institute) - it's the IFA with their formal links and scouting network who will have the first look-in, if you will. Once a young lad is called up by the IFA, progresses through the age categories and forms bonds with coaches, staff and team-mates, it complicates matters as, although he might always have possessed a childhood dream to play for Ireland, he now finds himself, due to what might have been a matter of convenience - geographically, seeming like "the right thing to do" or whatever - and pride at being offered to play a bit of international football, he'll naturally feel like he's letting his coaches and team-mates down if, further down the line, he wishes to pursue what has always been his personal dream. Is a 16 or 17-year-old realistically going to reject what he will primarily perceive as some sort of formal acknowledgement of his abilities? He'll jump at the chance. This is the dilemma Shane Duffy faced and is probably what Shane Ferguson is going through right now.

Mind you, Wikipedia tells me that Shane Ferguson played youth football with Derry City from 2001 to 2007, when he moved to Newcastle and received a call-up into the NI under-17 squad. Can anyone confirm this to be true? Martin O'Neill is also alleged by Wikipedia to have played youth football with Derry City, for example, but I'm not aware that this is true either.

Predator
04/05/2011, 4:58 PM
Mind you, Wikipedia tells me that Shane Ferguson played youth football with Derry City from 2001 to 2007, when he moved to Newcastle and received a call-up into the NI under-17 squad. Can anyone confirm this to be true? Martin O'Neill is also alleged by Wikipedia to have played youth football with Derry City, for example, but I'm not aware that this is true either.I doubt that it is true. I'm nearly 100% sure that Ferguson was part of the Maiden City Academy, which is, I think, the brainchild of Paul Kee and John Cunningham (who were both with Institute). Considering Ferguson's a country lad, having gone to school at St. Mary's Limavady, travelling to the Brandywell would be a long enough trip.

Link (http://maidencitysoccer.net/mcs/?page_id=3)

Interestingly, Gibson was also a part of the academy.

co. down green
04/05/2011, 5:04 PM
Darron Gibson and Shane Ferguson were both with the Maiden City Academy.

Ferguson is also eligible to play for Scotland via his mother

Not Brazil
04/05/2011, 5:13 PM
Meanwhile, for other players from a nationalist background who might have grown up supporting Ireland but played at youth level within the northern system - Shane Duffy (Foyle Harps of the Derry and District League) or Darron Gibson (Institute) - it's the IFA with their formal links and scouting network who will have the first look-in, if you will. Once a young lad is called up by the IFA, progresses through the age categories and forms bonds with coaches, staff and team-mates, it complicates matters as, although he might always have possessed a childhood dream to play for Ireland, he now finds himself, due to what might have been a matter of convenience - geographically, seeming like "the right thing to do" or whatever - and pride at being offered to play a bit of international football, he'll naturally feel like he's letting his coaches and team-mates down if, further down the line, he wishes to pursue what has always been his personal dream. Is a 16 or 17-year-old realistically going to reject what he will primarily perceive as some sort of formal acknowledgement of his abilities? He'll jump at the chance.

As I alluded to, no issues with the 16 or 17 year olds.

Once the player who holds childhood dreams of playing for the South leaves the IFA schoolboy setup, he should approach the FAI and advise them of his childhood dream and desire to play for the South's representative teams.

I'm sure that there'll be a FAI camp somewhere within the 26 counties, not too inconvenient to anywhere in Northern Ireland, to facilitate this desire.

That'll free up Northern Ireland jersies for post school kids who's childhood dream is it to play for Northern Ireland.

CraftyToePoke
04/05/2011, 5:30 PM

Do you reckon? With the strength of feeling presently being expressed elsewhere regarding this I would doubt it. Particularly if the return to NI colours was due to not making the cut in FAI sides.

Not Brazil
04/05/2011, 5:49 PM
Do you reckon? With the strength of feeling presently being expressed elsewhere regarding this I would doubt it. Particularly if the return to NI colours was due to not making the cut in FAI sides.

Wouldn't envisage too many problems - Kane & O'Connor were welcomed back by NI fans.

DannyInvincible
04/05/2011, 7:40 PM
I doubt that it is true. I'm nearly 100% sure that Ferguson was part of the Maiden City Academy, which is, I think, the brainchild of Paul Kee and John Cunningham (who were both with Institute). Considering Ferguson's a country lad, having gone to school at St. Mary's Limavady, travelling to the Brandywell would be a long enough trip.

Link (http://maidencitysoccer.net/mcs/?page_id=3)

If the IFA really cared about young Derry players, surely they'd equip them with personal jersey and shorts sizes as opposed to a standard XXL. :p

http://maidencitysoccer.net/mcs/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/northern_ireland_trip2_323-300x225.jpg

co. down green
04/05/2011, 7:49 PM
Wouldn't envisage too many problems - Kane & O'Connor were welcomed back by NI fans.

Thanks for that :)

co. down green
04/05/2011, 7:52 PM
That'll free up Northern Ireland jersies for post school kids who's childhood dream is it to play for Northern Ireland.

They will hardly get a look in with all the English born kids currently swamping the IFA teams

Charlie Darwin
05/05/2011, 1:21 PM
Small update, probably of limited relevance to us.

Fifa will consider a proposal to relax the rules on the naturalisation of players at its annual Congress.

The Congress will also seek to give the executive committee greater powers to suspend member federations.

The main item on the Congress agenda on 1 June is the presidential election between incumbent Sepp Blatter and challenger Mohamed Bin Hammam.

The Congress will also be asked to rubber-stamp moves to tighten up on friendly internationals.

Football's governing body will consider a suggestion that a player over the age of 18 need only live in a new country for three rather than the current five years before he can play for its national team.

Fifa said the proposal, included in the Congress agenda, had been made by the United Arab Emirates Football Association.

Many feel the regulations are already too relaxed and allow players to switch nationalities too easily.

Portugal and Mexico have fielded foreign-born players with no parental connections to the country, as have a number of African countries.

Blatter once said that he feared a World Cup being played with teams full of Brazilian players who had changed nationalities.

Until 2004, a player only needed the passport of the country he wanted to represent, which many nations were happy to fast-track.

But after Qatar tried to sign up Brazilian forward Ailton, Fifa ruled that players must have lived in their country for at least two years before they could play for it.

That was later increased to five.

The Congress will also be asked to allow the executive committee to suspend a member federation for a single violation of Fifa statutes.

At the moment, it can only do this for repeated serious violations.

Fifa's executive committee announced in March it would take greater control over international friendlies.

This came after a fake Togo team played in one game in September and seven penalties were awarded in two matches in Turkey in February.

Congress has been asked to approve the new rules which include allowing Fifa to change the referee if it thinks he is not qualified for the game.

The Congress agenda said: "FIFA would like to highlight the fact that it is of vital importance to have clear provisions regarding the authorisation of international matches in order to protect the integrity of football."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/9475788.stm

Not Brazil
05/05/2011, 1:32 PM
They will hardly get a look in with all the English born kids currently swamping the IFA teams

I guess the Northern Irish kids who have childhood dreams of playing for the South, might have the same problem with the FAI teams.:D

geysir
05/05/2011, 1:48 PM
I guess the Northern Irish kids who have childhood dreams of playing for the South, might have the same problem with the FAI teams.:D

Rather, Irish kids born in NI. There is no border to Irish national identity.

Closed Account
05/05/2011, 2:08 PM
Whats happening in France is worth keeping an eye on. There's been suggestions about limiting or putting a quota on the number
of dual nationals (North African players for example) entering the academies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/may/05/laurent-blanc-race-row-french

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/03/fff-race-quotas-allegations-blanc

DannyInvincible
05/05/2011, 3:35 PM
Small update, probably of limited relevance to us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/9475788.stm

It still baffles me as to how Nedum Onuoha qualified to play for England at under-21 level as he's a naturalised British citizen, isn't he? I was having a look around the net but details on his eligibility appear scarce.

DannyInvincible
05/05/2011, 3:46 PM
Whats happening in France is worth keeping an eye on. There's been suggestions about limiting or putting a quota on the number
of dual nationals (North African players for example) entering the academies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/may/05/laurent-blanc-race-row-french

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/03/fff-race-quotas-allegations-blanc

Interesting last paragraph in that first piece:

Fifa rules stipulate which players countries can pick. Governments decide who can get passports. French football officials were debating whether to deliberately exclude people that both Fifa and the government allow them to pick. People in other countries often do the same. The debates about the mooted England call-up for Manuel Almunia showed that. Many fans were opposed on principle even though the government says he is entitled to citizenship, the England cricket and rugby teams would have had no qualms about selecting him if he were good enough and he has spent more time in the country than, say, Owen Hargreaves. Similarly, many Irish fans scoffed recently when Jermaine Pennant revealed that he was considering declaring for the Republic, the land of his grandfather. The reason many fans gave was that Pennant had not made his Irish roots known before and was presumably only doing so now because he had finally accepted that England were not going to give him a game. He is, therefore, an opportunist. But how could they know that? And even if they were right, so what? Is it wrong to go to the country that gives you the best opportunities? He would only be picked if he was the best man for the job. Isn't that how it should be?

Hmm, questionable.

Whatever about the FFF, there's absolutely no suggestion that FIFA are even contemplating introducing caps on the number of dual nationals an association may select, is there? Such would be profoundly unfair, arguably racist in sentiment, essence and effect masked by the language of officialdom, and would surely run in complete contrast to the whole idea of nationality which many hold dear as an essential aspect of their identity and cultural make-up.

Closed Account
05/05/2011, 4:42 PM
Interesting last paragraph in that first piece:

Hmm, questionable.

Whatever about the FFF, there's absolutely no suggestion that FIFA are even contemplating introducing caps on the number of dual nationals an association may select, is there? Such would be profoundly unfair, arguably racist in sentiment, essence and effect masked by the language of officialdom, and would surely run in complete contrast to the whole idea of nationality which many hold dear as an essential aspect of their identity and cultural make-up.
The article was saying that the FFF were thinking of putting a quota on the number of dual nationals despite FIFA and the government saying that they are eligible. They were talking about about a limit of 30% or so of the academy players being dual nationals. Hasn't gone done too well.
I don't think there is any suggestion that FIFA are getting involved. Although if France don't get a solution to losing all these players from youth squads, they may lobby FIFA for a change, although I'd say thats a long way off.

ArdeeBhoy
05/05/2011, 11:58 PM

They'll have to dream into infinity, unless they are eligible to play for South Africa or South Korea....

Not Brazil
06/05/2011, 8:37 AM
They'll have to dream into infinity, unless they are eligible to play for South Africa or South Korea....

Sorry AB - your, normally sharp, wit is lost on me this time.

What do you mean?

geysir
06/05/2011, 12:13 PM

Sounds like the FFA are throwing out some red herrings to deflect from the exposure of evidence of obvious racism in their 'mission policy'.

Can you imagine the balls-up the IFA would make if they tried something like that, to impose a divisive selection policy, filtering out kids from an early age based on identity, even though the North is supposed to be a society where a person can just identify themselves as Irish.

ArdeeBhoy
07/05/2011, 10:24 AM
NB,
You need to borrow a world atlas from our mutually rotund acquaintance....

Predator
16/05/2011, 1:23 AM
Sounds like the FFA are throwing out some red herrings to deflect from the exposure of evidence of obvious racism in their 'mission policy'.

Can you imagine the balls-up the IFA would make if they tried something like that, to impose a divisive selection policy, filtering out kids from an early age based on identity, even though the North is supposed to be a society where a person can just identify themselves as Irish.I'd like to give the IFA the benefit of the doubt, I really would, but reality dictates otherwise. With the noises that come from messageboards such as OWC, it wouldn't come as a surprise if something this ludicrous occurred.

Predator
16/05/2011, 1:29 AM
Judging by some sounds emanating from the likes of OWC, a section of the support would not welcome such 'traitors' back. They would be judged to have 'made their bed', playing for the FAI over the IFA being one of the carnal sins, of course.

CraftyToePoke
16/05/2011, 1:39 AM
Judging by some sounds emanating from the likes of OWC, a section of the support would not welcome such 'traitors' back. They would be judged to have 'made their bed', playing for the FAI over the IFA being one of the carnal sins, of course.

Cardinal sin, no? Surely? Unless they have a different slant on what 'playing for the FAI' actually entails maybe.

Predator
16/05/2011, 1:46 AM
Perhaps, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of playing for the FAI being viewed as carnal in their fettered minds, considering all this talk of 'seedy practice', 'poaching' and making of beds.

geysir
16/05/2011, 9:55 AM
Not to mention the most serious accusation thrown at the IFA of 'getting into bed with the FAI'.
Up North, sex must be regarded as a sinful and crude action.

Not Brazil
16/05/2011, 1:06 PM
I'd like to give the IFA the benefit of the doubt, I really would, but reality dictates otherwise. With the noises that come from messageboards such as OWC, it wouldn't come as a surprise if something this ludicrous occurred.

We also hear noises from other messageboards querying why any "nationalist" would want to play for Northern Ireland.

Never mind quotas, and such guff - if a young "nationalist" player harbours a childhood dream to play for the South, the IFA should leave him to it.

Not Brazil
16/05/2011, 1:08 PM
Up North, sex must be regarded as a sinful and crude action.

Only outside of marriage.:D

Similar moral codes exist in the South, I understand.

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2011, 1:16 PM
Clearly there are no moral codes down south if our footballing apartheid policy is anything to go by.