PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

Charlie Darwin
15/11/2011, 12:08 PM
Gerry is either profoundly misinformed or attempting to radically rewrite history with that Derry City claim. Bizarre.

BonnieShels
15/11/2011, 12:14 PM
I just can't wait to hear the reaction over on OWC tomorrow to our qualification. They'll be sick into their farls.

Not Brazil
15/11/2011, 2:33 PM
I see the Spokesman for the AONISC is in Dublin today.

"The Amalgamation of Official Northern Ireland Supporters' Clubs today continued its campaign to highlight the injustice of the ongoing situation which allows players to defect from within the Northern Ireland youth international system to the Republic of Ireland.

AONISC Chairman, Gary McAllister, hand-delivered a letter to the Headquarters of the Football Association of Ireland in Dublin encouraging the FAI to enter into a new, bi-lateral agreement with the Irish Football Association on the matter.

In the letter, Mr McAllister, writing on behalf of the supporters' group, described the ongoing situation as 'immoral in footballing terms' and encouraged the FAI Chief Executive John Delaney to apply the same principles of integrity which he himself had advocated when the Republic of Ireland fell victim to the infamous hand-ball elimination against France in 2009.

The AONISC Chair added: "Surely those same principles apply equally when you find yourself in a position of both advantage and disadvantage?"

ifk101
15/11/2011, 2:44 PM
The shop's closed today.

boovidge
15/11/2011, 3:11 PM
'immoral in footballing terms'

hahaha

Sullivinho
15/11/2011, 3:32 PM
AONISC Chairman, Gary McAllister, hand-delivered a letter to the Headquarters of the Football Association of Ireland in Dublin encouraging the FAI to enter into a new, bi-lateral agreement with the Irish Football Association on the matter.

In the letter, Mr McAllister, writing on behalf of the supporters' group, described the ongoing situation as 'immoral in footballing terms' and encouraged the FAI Chief Executive John Delaney to apply the same principles of integrity which he himself had advocated when the Republic of Ireland fell victim to the infamous hand-ball elimination against France in 2009.

That letter will end up in row Z tonight. J.D.'s been working on his throw.

geysir
15/11/2011, 3:42 PM

The AONISC Chair added: "Surely those same principles apply equally when you find yourself in a position of both advantage and disadvantage?"

I'm sure JD will sympathize and take a similar opinion that Gary Mac had at the time about JD, when JD advocated that the Republic of Ireland fell victim to the infamous hand-ball elimination against France in 2009

Predator
16/11/2011, 8:55 AM
I know they say that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, but it'd be nice if these boys would give our heads peace.

dantheman
16/11/2011, 3:52 PM
Needless to say the OWC fans are not having a great week.

Their latest target is Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol, based on a lyric on one of the new songs in his new album.

See if ye can work out which one :D :

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/snowpatrol/lifening.html
(http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/snowpatrol/lifening.html)

Charlie Darwin
16/11/2011, 3:57 PM
Ha! I just heard that song for the first time today. What are they saying?

Not Brazil
16/11/2011, 4:08 PM
Needless to say the OWC fans are not having a great week.

They'll be cheered up a little by the news from Shane Ferguson.

dantheman
16/11/2011, 4:14 PM
They'll be cheered up a little by the news from Shane Ferguson.

Is Shane Ferguson eligible to play for NI?

dantheman
16/11/2011, 4:15 PM

Lundy

Judas

Turncoat

etc etc...

awec
16/11/2011, 4:19 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/ferguson-i-wont-switch-to-republic-16078036.html

Woohoo! :)

geysir
16/11/2011, 4:27 PM

There's not that much of a response, but it would appear that the standard response from the OWC in these matters is intolerant and mildly amusing aggressive towards anybody from NI, who expresses support (however diluted) towards the FAI - regarded as a traitor.

A traitor to what, I wonder?
More of a head in the sand refusal to recognize the ethnic and national identity of a significant % of the NI population.

Their message is, if you are for the IFA you must hate the FAI. If you are a nationalist then you have to suppress a natural part of that identity in order not to aggravate the OWC. If you are a nationalist, who would be inclined to support the IFA, then you have to strip off all aspects of that identity and adopt the OWC perspective in football matters. There is no room in the OWC for even elements of duality.

Of course there are probably some who support the NI team who have more cop than what you get from the OWC moderators.
But you can't help noticing, more and more, that the default OWC identity is an insular form of Britishness.

IsMiseSean
16/11/2011, 4:52 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/ferguson-i-wont-switch-to-republic-16078036.html

Hope he enjoys having the summer months off for the rest of his career ;)

In all seriousness though, good luck to the lad!!

DannyInvincible
16/11/2011, 4:58 PM
I see the Spokesman for the AONISC is in Dublin today.

Hope he was able to catch the game. ;)

Is that trying to imply there was an old agreement?

“I’ve always wanted to stay with Northern Ireland,” Ferguson told the Belfast Telegraph after playing in the Northern Ireland under-21’s defeat against Serbia.

Is that true? What about the period over the Summer where he outlined that he was mulling over his international future?

This has angered the IFA, but they failed to stop players from switching when the Court of Arbitration for Sport insisted that rules are now being broken.

I'll assume that's a typo and Stuart McKinley meant "not".

BonnieShels
16/11/2011, 5:42 PM
It's a shame about Shane. *sigh*

The Fly
16/11/2011, 8:49 PM

I was wondering what those paper aeroplanes were.

TrapAPony
16/11/2011, 11:59 PM
It's a shame about Shane. *sigh*

Shane seems to be going the Paddy McCourt/Niall McGinn etc. route in the sense that he mustn't think that he'll make it with us but we also have Stephen Ward, Marc Wilson, Marc Tierney & Greg Cunningham to choose from.

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2011, 12:08 AM
Shane seems to be going the Paddy McCourt/Niall McGinn etc.

McCourt/McGinn were never on the FAI's radar in the first place. They got capped by the only team who were going to cap them at the time. Ferguson does have the choice.

TrapAPony
17/11/2011, 12:22 AM
McCourt/McGinn were never on the FAI's radar in the first place. They got capped by the only team who were going to cap them at the time. Ferguson does have the choice.

My point is that he must not think he is good enough for us

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2011, 12:32 AM
My point is that he must not think he is good enough for us

Fair enough, you're probably right. I'd like to think a large part of it is simply a loyalty/desire to play for the NI, for whatever reason, no matter how idealistic that sounds.

Olé Olé
17/11/2011, 12:41 AM

I'm almost certain that McCourt was courted by Mick McCarthy to play for Ireland when he was at Rochdale and ripping it up. He was contacted around the same time that he was attracting Premier League offers. But he chose to stick with Northern Ireland and represented them at under 21 level and eventually senior level.

Charlie Darwin
17/11/2011, 12:44 AM
That's probably a bit unfair. He seems to have been genuinely conflicted so he might just have chosen NI because he wanted to play for them more. Not necessarily settling for second best.

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2011, 1:28 AM
I'm almost certain that McCourt was courted by Mick McCarthy to play for Ireland when he was at Rochdale and ripping it up. He was contacted around the same time that he was attracting Premier League offers. But he chose to stick with Northern Ireland and represented them at under 21 level and eventually senior level.

Not something I've ever heard - tbh I find it hard to believe McCourt would reject a call-up if there was one in the offing but fair enough. But it doesn't seem to me McCourt's choices, while playing for Rochdale, would be as open as Ferguson's (playing for Newcastle and in a position we can use options in).

DannyInvincible
17/11/2011, 1:44 AM
Video interview with Gary McAllister of the Amalgamation of NI Supporters' Clubs on the letter they handed into the FAI: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15766962.stm

gastric
17/11/2011, 2:58 AM
In regards to the Snow Patrol song, possibly the reason why the OWC Forum took issue with it, was because they realise that they will never qualify for a WC again!

ifk101
17/11/2011, 7:26 AM
Video interview with Gary McAllister of the Amalgamation of NI Supporters' Clubs on the letter they handed into the FAI: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15766962.stm

Perhaps this wally should be reminded that the IFA went to the CAS (at considerable expense) to bring this matter to a conclusion.

Regarding Shane Ferguson, I wish the lad well in his choice to play for the North.

ArdeeBhoy
17/11/2011, 9:17 AM
But you can't help noticing, more and more, that the default OWC identity is an insular form of Britishness.

To be fair to OWB that's always been the case. Hateful & intolerant paranoia is a hard trait to change.

As for SF, he can always change his mind until he gets a full competitive cap.
So another 10 months then.
;)

co. down green
17/11/2011, 11:03 AM

comical video, comical letter. Nothing else to be said. Best ignored.

Predator
17/11/2011, 11:37 AM
I know that Delaney is very happy that the choice is there for Irish nationals in the north, so I'd say he'll dismiss this nonsense. However, if such a ridiculous thing is to be considered in the least, then Ireland fans should have input - this being a Northern Ireland fan-driven incentive that is not mutually beneficial.

French Toasht
17/11/2011, 12:26 PM
Genuine question for Not Brazil here, as someone who appears informed on the whole area of eligibility, do videos such as these make you cringe? And secondly, does this guy from AONISC represent the views of all NI fans or is there at least a small enlightened minority who who disagree?

Not Brazil
17/11/2011, 3:17 PM
Genuine question for Not Brazil here, as someone who appears informed on the whole area of eligibility, do videos such as these make you cringe? And secondly, does this guy from AONISC represent the views of all NI fans or is there at least a small enlightened minority who who disagree?

I know Gary Mac well, and have previously worked with him on various matters pertaining to NI Supporters issues. - I have a lot of time and respect for him, although we would have differences of opinion on some issues. We don't fall out over them.

The video clip above does not make me cringe - I think the concept of developing an agreement on youth players between the two Associations is a fair idea.

I think Gary Mac articulates that case well in the clip.

Gary Mac is the elected Chairman/Spokesman for the AONISC (Amalgamation of Official Northern Ireland Supporters Clubs) - circa 70 SCs are members of the Amalgamation, representing in the region of 3,000 fans.

Obviously, this does not represent the majority of NI fans, many of whom are not affiliated to any SC, or are members of SCs that are not "official".

The AONISC does hold clout with the IFA - regular meetings etc.

With a membership of circa 3,000, it's safe to say that there is not always unanimity across the board on all issues - but, the AONISC will publicly articulate the majority view of it's membership. There is healthy debate amongst their members on key issues, including those that are perhaps more contentious.

Fixer82
17/11/2011, 3:50 PM
"A controversial Fifa ruling exists that allows players born in Northern Ireland to declare for the Republic regardless of blood ties"

What blood ties would they be now?

gastric
17/11/2011, 8:04 PM
"A controversial Fifa ruling exists that allows players born in Northern Ireland to declare for the Republic regardless of blood ties"

Whether you're a Catholic or Protestant?

Sullivinho
17/11/2011, 8:08 PM

A line drawn on a map cuts off circulation apparently.

I'm not convinced myself.

gastric
17/11/2011, 10:46 PM
Just found a better way to solve all our problems. Which ever girl takes your fancy determines your allegiance!

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/flag-gowns-for-miss-ulster-contest-2938972.html

The Fly
17/11/2011, 11:05 PM
Just found a better way to solve all our problems. Which ever girl takes your fancy determines your allegiance!

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/flag-gowns-for-miss-ulster-contest-2938972.html

A ginger in a Union Jack dress - that's a double whammy for me! ;)

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2011, 11:08 PM
A ginger in a Union Jack dress - that's a double whammy for me! ;)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AoBmM_isubo/TKVJGhP3TyI/AAAAAAAAM5g/KiRo6wvK9IE/s320/Ginger-Spice-Union-Jack-dress1-237x300.jpg

theworm2345
17/11/2011, 11:12 PM

Alex Bruce must be angling for a threesome.

The Fly
17/11/2011, 11:19 PM
Someone had to do it.

The Fly
18/11/2011, 8:08 PM
Of course there are probably some who support the NI team who have more cop than what you get from the OWC moderators.

I'd say so, there are many such people who post here.

I just received a suspension from one of the moderators (lets just call him Tweedledum) in order to 'cool off'. http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

I'm sure that Predator, Danny and others can guess who Tweedledee is.

Predator
18/11/2011, 8:30 PM
He's probably sad that his team faces the axe :p
Here, you got off easy Fly, they burst my ball and told me to feck off home forever.

Paddy Garcia
21/11/2011, 9:29 PM
can someone take a look at that Rory Donnelly - worth a call up to the U21s perhaps.

geysir
21/11/2011, 11:05 PM
I just received a suspension from one of the moderators (lets just call him Tweedledum) in order to 'cool off'. http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

I'm sure that Predator, Danny and others can guess who Tweedledee is.
It's a crime there to express the wrong belief.
Are you a prisoner exiled poster of conscience?

Fixer82
22/11/2011, 11:40 AM
Whether you're a Catholic or Protestant?

I didn't know religion was considered a blood tie. My pal Musarraf Ali down in South Circular Road will be snapping. He had big plans to play for Ireland one day...

geysir
22/11/2011, 12:59 PM
I didn't know religion was considered a blood tie. ..

'Blood ties' is not considered a religion, probably some vampire cult or other.

Fixer82
22/11/2011, 1:31 PM
'Blood ties' is not considered a religion, probably some vampire cult or other.

hmmm very convenient that this is coming up the same time the new Twilight movie is released....

SwanVsDalton
22/11/2011, 2:13 PM
hmmm very convenient that this is coming up the same time the new Twilight movie is released....

IFA secured quite the PR coup by organising a tie-in with the Twilight movies, with the intention of portraying the FAI as blood-sucking inhumans. But they typically misjudged the popular mood and now Merrion Square gets inundated with fan mail from teenage girls.