PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

BonnieShels
08/12/2015, 2:50 PM
Given the subject matter I was interested to read this article in the IT which was published after the IFART qualified for Euro2016:

But it was this stand out statement which really sums up the perception of the NI-fan cohort:

Loyalist Eddie Harrison (72) was enjoying the atmosphere at the 1st Shankill Northern Ireland Supporters Club.
“It was an outstanding result,” he said. “Magic atmosphere. When they scored I lowered the TV and you could have heard the roar from Windsor Park. Northern Ireland is my team. I don’t follow the Republic. We are Northern Ireland.
“Protestants play for Northern Ireland and Catholics play for the Republic of Ireland, I don’t think there will be a united Ireland team. We like to have our own teams.
“Lots of Catholics support Northern Ireland and that is certainly the way it should be, as long as they stand for the Queen, that’s all we want to know.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/why-are-the-same-fans-not-celebrating-both-irish-victories-1.2385859

I mean, really? I know Eddie isn't obviously representative of the all fans of IFART, but to deny that this attitude doesn't pervade amongst a sizable proportion of the fan-base is denial at a level that even I can't fathom.

---

I would love to have a United team and I'm sure at some point it will happen, but the stuff coming out of GR is rather something.

Gather round
08/12/2015, 2:57 PM
I mean, really? I know Eddie isn't obviously representative of the all fans of IFART, but to deny that this attitude doesn't pervade amongst a sizable proportion of the fan-base is denial at a level that even I can't fathom

Who's denying it? The guy gurning about strawmen upthread must have been thinking of you.

I would love to have a United team and I'm sure at some point it will happen, but the stuff coming out of GR is rather something.

Good luck with your delusions.

You could also try answering my point, although it does need marginally more thought than repeating the same fart gag.

BonnieShels
08/12/2015, 3:12 PM
Who's denying it? The guy gurning about strawmen upthread must have been thinking of you.

Good luck with your delusions.

You could also try answering my point, although it does need marginally more thought than repeating the same fart gag.

I enjoy my delusions. I call them hope though.

You see, as an 80s child anything to do with the NI-team makes me uneasy in fact even referring to them as NI hurts my Nationalist sensibilities (and I don't like being hurt) hence the light-heart IFART acronym. Surely you have a sense of humour?

GR, you seem to have that proto-Unionist default position of not really listening to what's being said and dismissing out of hand because you're right and we should just accept it as such.

The great failure of the IFA is that they haven't garnered support in the near-hundred years of partition of the country and associations, from the Nationalist community. It just hasn't happened.

And that's okay, but leaving all that aside: if you were to just consider a United Ireland team for a second what form would you think it could take if there was broad support for it?

Let's pretend for a second.

osarusan
08/12/2015, 3:18 PM
GR, you seem to have that proto-Unionist default position of not really listening to what's being said and dismissing out of hand because you're right and we should just accept it as such.

A bit ironic when you consider that people keep saying 'but what about an all-Ireland team' despite the number of times he's said he has no interest in even considering the concept of one.

Considering you think the likes of Eddie Harrison (you quoted him above) represent a sizeable proportion of the NI support, what is the point the discussion at all?

BonnieShels
08/12/2015, 3:23 PM
A bit ironic when you consider that people keep saying 'but what about an all-Ireland team' despite the number of times he's said he has no interest in even considering one.

considering you think the likes of Eddie Harrison (you quoted him above) represent a sizeable proportion of the NI support, what is the point the discussion at all?

But he keeps getting involved in this discussion though?

Someone posted a poll. GR dismissed it. GR has his own thoughts about it and that's fine.

The rest of us on the otherhand...

Gather round
08/12/2015, 3:34 PM
hence the light-heart IFART acronym. Surely you have a sense of humour?

Clearly not, sorry.

GR, you seem to have that proto-Unionist default position of not really listening to what's being said and dismissing out of hand because you're right and we should just accept it as such

I'm post-unionist, actually- might be an idea to have a dictionary to hand before showing off on here.

I've read all the comments to which I've later replied. Unlike you, as per my previous reply. You want to be dismissed? No problem. Do better.

The great failure of the IFA is that they haven't garnered support in the near-hundred years of partition of the country and associations, from the Nationalist community. It just hasn't happened

Broadly agreed- although there have been times past (the 80s, for example) when they had more than now. Ask yer parents or their generation.

And that's okay, but leaving all that aside: if you were to just consider a United Ireland team for a second what form would you think it could take if there was broad support for it?

I've no problem with the one you already have- a better question would be why you do.

Anything beyond that is so improbable I honestly don't know how I'd react to it.

ArdeeBhoy
08/12/2015, 3:38 PM
More pompous drivel, change the record...
Your whataboutery is tedious in the extreme!!

BonnieShels
08/12/2015, 3:42 PM
Clearly not, sorry.

I'm post-unionist, actually- might be an idea to have a dictionary to hand before showing off on here.

You're republican?

Or is that like post-nationalism... ie. head-in-the-sand or 90s kids?

I've read all the comments to which I've later replied. Unlike you, as per my previous reply. You want to be dismissed? No problem. Do better.

I can only dip in and out. But your responses have been pretty GR-esque from what I've seen. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that assumptions I make might have a shred of accuracy. We've both been here a while. I think we can be confident in those assumptions.

Broadly agreed- although there have been times past (the 80s, for example) when they had more than now. Ask yer parents or their generation.

My parents are working-class Dubs and unlike their son they never dabbled in the Troubled Arts.

I'm sure MON and PJ helped with that somewhat. Plus the FAI's team being a sham helped.

I've no problem with the one you already have- a better question would be why you do.

Anything beyond that is so improbable I honestly don't know how I'd react to it.

But does that not equate to a 'them and us' situation which flies in the face of what the IFA want?

I mean, every time a player declares for us we are accused of numerous things. And given this fact a 'mono-cultural' IFART team is hardly a good thing.

ArdeeBhoy
08/12/2015, 3:48 PM
Bonnie,
GR doesn't need feeding, but needs to lose weight!
:rolleyes:

Gather round
08/12/2015, 3:50 PM
what is the point the discussion at all?

Trolls (sorry, Bonnie) and not-Louth based halfwits aren't the problem. It's the otherwise intelligent who just have an obsession.

BonnieShels
08/12/2015, 3:54 PM
Bonnie,
GR doesn't need feeding, but needs to lose weight!
:rolleyes:

Can I still get him a Kronenburg next summer though?

Trolls (sorry, Bonnie) and not-Louth based halfwits aren't the problem. It's the otherwise intelligent who just have an obsession.

That is quite the accusation sir. After 7 years and nearly 10000 posts I would suggest withdrawing that... And perhaps stop refereeing the discussion.
That's the mods job. Report posts or leave the threads.

Also, no pint for you in France.

ArdeeBhoy
08/12/2015, 4:00 PM
WTF are you on (about)?

Charlie Darwin
08/12/2015, 4:09 PM
A bit ironic when you consider that people keep saying 'but what about an all-Ireland team' despite the number of times he's said he has no interest in even considering the concept of one.

Considering you think the likes of Eddie Harrison (you quoted him above) represent a sizeable proportion of the NI support, what is the point the discussion at all?
I don't think anybody's saying it for his benefit though.

BonnieShels
08/12/2015, 4:16 PM

That's precisely it. Osa does like to defend our loyalist brethern lest they be offended. I'd hate loyalists ever to fear being a minority. Oh wait...

ArdeeBhoy
08/12/2015, 4:30 PM
Ha ha, Chas spot on too, for once!!
:)

tetsujin1979
08/12/2015, 4:38 PM
Nobody is to use the IFART acronym when referring to the Northern Ireland football association. It was moderately funny the first time, now it's annoying. It's either the IFA, or the Irish Football Association

Crosby87
08/12/2015, 4:41 PM
What would the T stand for?

tetsujin1979
08/12/2015, 4:44 PM
What would the T stand for?
I don't care, and the discussion is over

osarusan
08/12/2015, 5:03 PM
His = who?

Gather Round? He's been asked the question directly, so his input is sought. Despite the fact that it certainly doesn't seem to be for his benefit, seeing as he has no time for the concept at all, people keep asking him.

Or 'his' = that NI fan? In which case, as danny was careful to say that it would all have to be mutually agreed compromise and so on, just how much compromise do you think that guy is interested in?

ArdeeBhoy
08/12/2015, 5:13 PM
Except he's not interested in the main.
As yer man said, it's all about point-scoring, at best...

BonnieShels
08/12/2015, 5:27 PM
Nobody is to use the IFART acronym when referring to the Northern Ireland football association. It was moderately funny the first time, now it's annoying. It's either the IFA, or the Irish Football Association

It was for the team itself rather than the association which is always the IFA.

But accept the point.

backstothewall
08/12/2015, 10:04 PM
That is quite the accusation sir. After 7 years and nearly 10000 posts I would suggest withdrawing that... And perhaps stop refereeing the discussion.
That's the mods job. Report posts or leave the threads.

You think being a 10k post troll is unlikely? Sure little old sectarian me married a Protestant that time.

That's right folks. There is a Mrs. Backtowalsall out there. She doesn't believe in transubstantiation so she'll surely burn in the deepest fires of hell, but it's hard to get a Catholic girl who makes a decent cup of tea these days, so what else can you do?

BonnieShels
08/12/2015, 10:45 PM
You think being a 10k post troll is unlikely?

On this forum, yes.

Sure little old sectarian me married a Protestant that time.

CofI folk are practically Catholic.

Charlie Darwin
08/12/2015, 10:50 PM
CofI folk are practically Catholic.
Whatever gets you through the night :p

Wolfman
09/12/2015, 10:39 AM
We can't make a joke now? A bit unnecessary, though D.Trump would probably agree?

tetsujin1979
09/12/2015, 12:02 PM
We can't make a joke now? A bit unnecessary, though D.Trump would probably agree?
it's been discussed with the other mods, and it's very necessary.

Wolfman
09/12/2015, 1:13 PM
Thought this was a message board, not the U.N.?

colonelwest
09/12/2015, 2:56 PM
Sure enough of Gather Round's wumming narcissism and condescension, if the lads can get along ok sure that's all that's needed, leave him to it!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/migration_catalog/article25664561.ece/ALTERNATES/h342/adams%20joke_2

tetsujin1979
09/12/2015, 3:11 PM
Thought this was a message board, not the U.N.?
If you have a problem with it, raise it in the support forum

Wolfman
09/12/2015, 3:32 PM
I don't, just seems petty in the extreme.

SkStu
09/12/2015, 5:35 PM

that stinks.

Wolfman
09/12/2015, 7:09 PM
Except jokes are now banned!

Crosby87
09/12/2015, 11:01 PM
Not good jokes. For example, horse walks into a bar, bartender says why the long face?

Stuttgart88
10/12/2015, 2:19 PM
What's the difference between a hippo and a zippo? One's really heavy, the other's a little lighter.

Wolfman
11/12/2015, 10:58 AM
Except my original joke was censored, but not the others.
:(

punkrocket
11/12/2015, 3:10 PM
2 men and a dog standing at a bar. Dog starts licking it's bollards, man looks down and says " I wish I could do that" dog's owner replies " give him a biscuit and he might let ye."

BonnieShels
05/01/2016, 7:54 PM
Hard to believe this has dropped to page 3. It's no Melinda Messenger though.

Eh, following on from the discussion in the James McClean thread, the the Council's Strategic Policy and Resources Committee has passed the motion and will go to COuncil for a vote tonight.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-city-council-votes-to-host-joint-reception-for-northern-ireland-and-republic-of-ireland-euro-2106-teams-34335257.html

Incidentally 5 lads turned up to protest the decision. Billy Hutchison was right about it sparking a massive loyalist protest.

EDIT: Passed.
http://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/01/05/news/republic-and-northern-ireland-teams-to-get-joint-civic-reception-373314/?param=ds441rif44T

geysir
05/01/2016, 10:30 PM
Hard to believe this has dropped to page 3. It's no Melinda Messenger though.

Eh, following on from the discussion in the James McClean thread, the the Council's Strategic Policy and Resources Committee has passed the motion and will go to COuncil for a vote tonight.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-city-council-votes-to-host-joint-reception-for-northern-ireland-and-republic-of-ireland-euro-2106-teams-34335257.html

Incidentally 5 lads turned up to protest the decision. Billy Hutchison was right about it sparking a massive loyalist protest.

EDIT: Passed.
http://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/01/05/news/republic-and-northern-ireland-teams-to-get-joint-civic-reception-373314/?param=ds441rif44T
I had the impression James' thread was an outlet for all varied sorts of reactionary judgmental expressions (aka irish bigotry in disguise), James will be heartened to hear that real issues are actually discussed on his thread. Perhaps I was mistaken and should visit it more often and give it the benefit of my undoubted mature wisdom.

BonnieShels
05/01/2016, 11:54 PM
I had the impression James' thread was an outlet for all varied sorts of reactionary judgmental expressions (aka irish bigotry in disguise), James will be heartened to hear that real issues are actually discussed on his thread. Perhaps I was mistaken and should visit it more often and give it the benefit of my undoubted mature wisdom.

We couldn't have a thread being hijacked now could we. That would be unacceptable. The most shocking thing is that I had to root for this thread on page 3. Unbelievable Jeff.

geysir
06/01/2016, 7:46 PM
We couldn't have a thread being hijacked now could we. That would be unacceptable. The most shocking thing is that I had to root for this thread on page 3. Unbelievable Jeff.
I think at this stage we have to accept that Jeff's unbelievability factors are set quite low in order to cater for an audience which require unbelievable to be shoved at them at regular intervals, in order to simulate believability that something remotely interesting has just happened.

I see the mods are your tail Bonnie, I hope you have been behaving yourself in the eligibility thread?
You can't joke in here, this is the war room!

DannyInvincible
12/01/2016, 11:55 PM
Billy Hutchinson made some daft, paranoid comments about the eligibility of northern-born Irish nationals at the motion debate inside Belfast City Hall last week. I wrote a bit on what he said here: https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/pups-billy-hutchinson-suggests-irish-football-eligiblity-rooted-in-fifa-corruption/

In a bizarre and completely inaccurate “explanation” of “facts”, Hutchinson asserted that “the whole notion of whether you can play for Northern Ireland or whether you can play for the Republic goes back to the days of Sepp Blatter“. He then mentioned Blatter’s recent ban from all football-related activities, imposed upon him by FIFA’s Ethics Committee, along with the FBI’s investigation into alleged FIFA corruption, as if to imply a direct connection between the eligibility of northern-born Irish nationals to play for the Republic of Ireland and corruption at the governing body.

There's a video of what he said there too.

geysir
18/03/2016, 9:40 AM
A tardy Fifa have given Grealish the official go ahead (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/17/aston-villa-jack-grealish-fifa-england) to represent England.

The journalist writes,
'Grealish .............. appears a much less likely England international than was the case when he made his decision in September.
Despite Villa’s dreadful season, Grealish has found himself on the sidelines. He has not appeared in the Premier League for more than two months and his last appearance in any competition for Villa was the defeat by Manchester City on 30 January.'

Charlie Darwin
18/03/2016, 10:28 AM
And people say McGeady has no end product. This lad has taken it to the extreme.

DannyInvincible
06/04/2016, 11:39 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfWuPzdWAAQhZUB.jpg

But we're "the beggars", supposedly...

(Edit: Oh, and hat-tip to Dodge for alerting me.)

The Fly
06/04/2016, 12:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfWuPzdWAAQhZUB.jpg

But we're "the beggars", supposedly...

(Edit: Oh, and hat-tip to Dodge for alerting me.)

Is that genuine?

Edit - I see it's for the women's teams.

geysir
06/04/2016, 3:33 PM
That has to be a spoof?

Euro's?

CraftyToePoke
06/04/2016, 4:04 PM
I hope this is real, I hope they have actually gone and done this, it can't be can it ? :)
And I await the FAI version welcoming all creeds of Irishmen of any community or tradition aboard.

DannyInvincible
06/04/2016, 7:40 PM
It was tweeted by an Anth Nolan who's bio describes him/her as: "Commerical Manager of women's footy website & magazine. Responsible for distribution and liasing with clubs. So get in touch."

Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/SheKicksAnth/status/717671303407386624

All seems legit to me.

geysir
06/04/2016, 9:18 PM
The Apostrophe Protection Society will surely take them to task.

Gather round
07/04/2016, 4:27 PM
Now now lads. As you know, I don't tend to go in for all that offensive stuff. Well except when you Freestaters get lairy.

I was talking to my cousin and his wife the other day, reminding that their son (currently playing in Norwich City's U-12 squad) is eligible for various other international teams through his granda...

Alfie Wylie (from the flyer) is a top lad. Invited the entire away support to dinner at a couple of recent women's internationals.

<MOD EDIT>
Personal insults (tongue in cheek or not) removed