PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

geysir
26/05/2012, 9:24 AM
Would you offer any indication of how you would envisage such a "compromise document" would read?

I'm struggling to see how a "compromise document" for the Irish issue, would not discriminate.

Perhaps, they may have just scrapped Annex 2 altogether.

A compromise document does discriminate by nature, in the sense of treating a situation as different and requiring a different approach than other situations.
The UK agreement came in in 1993 and prevented a player for playing another association even though he had the nationality of that association.
Why can that player not pick and choose his best option and just be bound by his first competitive cap or whatever was the binding criteria then? The 4 associations sat down and made an agreement drawing the lines of eligibility. Yet according to the statutes, a player should be able to play for the association of his nationality

So, as I have written many times recently, I suspect in 2007 (and before) it was possible to do a unique agreement, like the 1993 UK agreement cocooned away from the statutes, but I suspect FIFA practice changed shortly after this time (NOV 2007) and they moved to bring changes. One of those changes was to bring the UK agreement into the statutes, fully incorporated with no reference that it was referring only to UK Nationals, it was now applicable to all players everywhere who had a single nationality but eligible for many associations.

As I wrote, I suspect this has more significance than just a tidy up job, and what was possible to do before 2008 with a unique agreement, was not possible to do after that time.
Maybe this has something to do with what the CAS judgement referred to in the case of Daniel Kearns
"In any event, the alleged tacit agreement may not be used to defeat the claim ofMr Kearns, who was of course not a party to any such agreement and who, in anyevent, is entitled to exercise his rights as provided under Article 15 and 18 of the2009 Application Regulations."

Maybe players are entitled to exercise their rights as provided by the Statute Articles over and above unique agreements entered into by their association and FIFA copped onto that in late 2007?

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 9:46 AM
One of those changes was to bring the UK agreement into the statutes, fully incorporated with no reference that it was referring only to UK Nationals, it was now applicable to all players everywhere who had a single nationality but eligible for many associations.

As an aside, do we know for certain of any associations, other than the British ones, that share a nationality? The Faroese and Danish associations? And any idea how eligibility for such associations was adjudicated prior to Annexe 2?

geysir
26/05/2012, 10:15 AM
As an aside, do we know for certain of any associations, other than the British ones, that share a nationality? The Faroese and Danish associations? And any idea how eligibility for such associations was adjudicated prior to Annexe 2?

I have a few ideas but not definitive ideas. The Faroes achieved a form of Home Rule in 1940. Faroes nationality was given some recognition, separate flag and a separate passport. The Faroes passport was similar to the Danish one but a different colour and inside it indicated that the holder was a Faroese and also a Danish citizen
So what ever criteria entitled a player to be regarded a Faroese national meant he was eligible to play for the Faroes.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 10:58 AM
I have a few ideas but not definitive ideas. The Faroes achieved a form of Home Rule in 1940. Faroes nationality was given some recognition, separate flag and a separate passport. The Faroes passport was similar to the Danish one but a different colour and inside it indicated that the holder was a Faroese and also a Danish citizen
So what ever criteria entitled a player to be regarded a Faroese national meant he was eligible to play for the Faroes.

Aye, had been reading up on that before. On Danish passports, Wiki states, "Different versions exist for nationals of Denmark, Greenland and the Faroe Islands although all citizens have the same nationality", which I assume is correct, so I wonder do FIFA view the Faroese as possessing the same nationality - that being the nationality of the Kingdom of Denmark - as those born in the territory of Denmark, or do they view them as being of Faroese nationality because they possess different passports, albeit ones that seemingly differ in appearance only...

Danish passport:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/74/Danishdiplomaticpassport.jpg/150px-Danishdiplomaticpassport.jpg

Danish (Faroese) passport:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Faroe_islands_passport.jpg/150px-Faroe_islands_passport.jpg

What are your other ideas?

geysir
26/05/2012, 11:23 AM
As I wrote, the status of separate Faroes nationality is given recognition with the separate flag and the recognition of Faroese in the separate passport.
If the Faroese did not have a football team, I presume the players would be eligible for Denmark based on their Danish citizenship.
Since the Faroes have a football team, I suspect there was some thought (by UEFA/FIFA) put into who actually is eligible to play for them. As there was already existing a definition of Faroese nationality, a defined criteria for being a Faroese national, Danish compliance and there is no dispute, then it can work without any need for legislation -- I presume.

ArdeeBhoy
26/05/2012, 11:25 AM
Having been to the Faroes, they claimed they were 'ethnic Norwegian', if anything other than Faroese.
Though don't think could survive economically if fully independent.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 11:34 AM
Sinn Féin's Sandra McLellan and Matt Carthy calling for an all-Ireland team at their Ard Fheis earlier. They must have missed the one McClean and Gibson will be lining out for later. Why do they keep calling for this? They obviously have no idea what FIFA rules are on the matter in that a single, de jure all-island team is not something presently possible, no matter how ideal it might seem.

ArdeeBhoy
26/05/2012, 11:35 AM
It's just symbolism. Though as has been oft-repeated, works in various other sports...

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 11:38 AM
Having been to the Faroes, they claimed they were 'ethnic Norwegian', if anything other than Faroese.

Bit of Gaelic in there too.

geysir
26/05/2012, 11:45 AM
Though don't think could survive economically if fully independent.
In general, a Faroese will consider themselves first a Faroese, feel closest to an Icelander, with a predominately Norwegian ancestory. Norway would be the culture they identify with most out of Norway/Sweden /Denmark. The closest language to Faroese and Icelandic is Norwegian.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 11:49 AM
It's just symbolism. Though as has been oft-repeated, works in various other sports...

Empty rhetoric then? I know it's an aspiration of the party but it gets a bit tiresome given it's so oft-repeated yet lacks any substance whatsoever. It only winds up NI fans too. Not sure why the operation of other sports on the island should be relevant to how football operates either. The FAI are their own independent organisation and I'm content to support them on a 'de facto' all-island basis.

ArdeeBhoy
26/05/2012, 11:59 AM
I hear you, but think about it. They're hardly going to say different.

Though other sports are very relevant, as it shows it is possible. Given the many faults of the IFA & FAI they're hardly beyond reproach either.

Not Brazil
26/05/2012, 2:41 PM
It only winds up NI fans too.

It's their rank hypocrisy that grates.

Fierce promotors of choice in the eligibility dispute, creating a de facto all Ireland team.

But wish to deny choice to those players and supporters who do not want to play for, or support, the south's team - and who consider the trapping of the 26 County State to be alien to them.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 4:42 PM
Though other sports are very relevant, as it shows it is possible.

It's only possible in other sports because their rules permit it though.

It's their rank hypocrisy that grates.

Fierce promotors of choice in the eligibility dispute, creating a de facto all Ireland team.

But wish to deny choice to those players and supporters who do not want to play for, or support, the south's team - and who consider the trapping of the 26 County State to be alien to them.

Have both associations even been consulted? Another consideration that would have to be taken into account is, which team would this new single one succeed? It's a thorny one. I'm guessing you're assuming any new team would succeed the current Ireland team, thus rendering NI formally defunct and their records a matter of history just like those of East Germany, Saarland, North Vietnam and South Yemen.

Not Brazil
26/05/2012, 5:45 PM
Have both associations even been consulted? Another consideration that would have to be taken into account is, which team would this new single one succeed? It's a thorny one. I'm guessing you're assuming any new team would succeed the current Ireland team, thus rendering NI formally defunct and their records a matter of history just like those of East Germany, Saarland, North Vietnam and South Yemen.

I know that PSF have had meetings with the IFA - I'm sure the IFA are well aware of PSF's thoughts about a singular team.

It's a totally pointless viewpoint - there is a team for Nationalists/Republicans throughout
the island to support. They should show some respect to those who choose to have nothing to do with it.

In common with many Northern Ireland supporters, if there is no Northern Ireland International team to support, then there is no International team for us to support.

If we weren't around, I'd perhaps welcome an all UK team at that point - I would feel some sort of affinity to it.

To my mind, Kearns effectively put the singular Ireland team thing to bed - if there was ever political unity, then there might be a singular team...but not before.

At that point, I would think that a number of players from a Unionist background would make it known to FIFA that they wanted to be eligible for/represent one of British Associations, based on their British Citizenship (guaranteed, whatever the constitutional position is in future, by the GFA) - that would require an amendment to Statutes, obviously.

Closed Account
26/05/2012, 6:14 PM
At that point, I would think that a number of players from a Unionist background would make it known to FIFA that they wanted to be eligible for/represent one of British Associations, based on their British Citizenship (guaranteed, whatever the constitutional position is in future, by the GFA) - that would require an amendment to Statutes, obviously.
(Hypothetically)That would be an interesting one, most logical viewpoint would be for them to have a choice of British Associations, like Maik Taylor had at the time. (chances are, that far in the future, Scotland would be independent). Of course they'd still have the choice to represent ROI/Ireland, whatever it's called at that point. I imagine some players from a Unionist background would opt to play for Ireland, possibly for a career choice, i.e not good enough for the England team, but couldn't see Wales making an international tournament. All hypothetical and unlikely to happen anytime soon.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 7:28 PM
I know that PSF have had meetings with the IFA

Hehe, any idea how they go?

I'm sure the IFA are well aware of PSF's thoughts about a singular team.

Do SF really believe it's a starter or have the IFA never told them that even if the association wished for it, FIFA might have something to say about it.

Agree with your other points. Not only is it ignorant, but it's needlessly provocative.

Just as a matter of interest, are you aware of many, or any, NI fans from a Donegal/Laggan district Ulster-Scots, Protestant or traditional-unionist background? I recall a Donegal Protestant on the local Highland Radio once dismissing quite heatedly the notion of him ever applying for an Irish passport as he didn't identify as Irish, or, at least, didn't identify with the sense of Irishness channelled through the Irish state. He was quite evidently more than happy to live without one as it didn't appear he qualified to possess any other. I'm also aware of at least one DUP politician, Maurice Devenney, who was born and raised in Manorcunningham in Donegal. Perhaps there are other unionist politicians in NI with Donegal roots, but I'd imagine he'd feel similarly to the aforementioned man on the radio with regard to his identity, identifying culturally with Britishness/the British sense of Irishness and NI rather than with the Irish state and its sense of national identity. I went to primary school with some Protestants from around the St. Johnston/Carrigans area of Donegal who would have supported Rangers, NI and even England, if I remember correctly, despite having been born and bred south of the border. Then there's 'fhtb' ('Finn Harps True Blue'?), one of the mods on OWC, who's a pretty avid NI fan despite, I assume, his Donegal roots.

Not saying there's anything at all wrong with any of this; I just find it quite interesting from a purely cultural or sociological perspective. They're kind of like a mirror image of the nationalist community in NI, similar in the sense of having been "caught on the wrong side of the border", if you will, except on the opposite side.

Anyway, say, it happened that a Donegal-born footballer from this community (with Donegal-born parents/grandparents who had never lived in NI) or even someone you might know from this community was talented enough to play international football for the FAI, is it likely they'd reject any potential call-up? I imagine 'fhtb' would, for one; he's always come across as hostile in the extreme towards the FAI. And as a unionist yourself, have you any thoughts on this community's identity and their ineligibility to represent the IFA despite their identification with NI? Do you think means should be provided by which they could represent the team they support?

ArdeeBhoy
26/05/2012, 8:08 PM
It's only possible in other sports because their rules permit it though.

'Mon Danny, you know that's not a reason...
:rolleyes:

Not Brazil
26/05/2012, 8:23 PM
Hehe, any idea how they go?

Anyway, say, it happened that a Donegal-born footballer from this community (with Donegal-born parents/grandparents who had never lived in NI) or even someone you might know from this community was talented enough to play international football for the FAI, is it likely they'd reject any potential call-up? I imagine 'fhtb' would, for one; he's always come across as hostile in the extreme towards
the FAI. And as a unionist yourself, have you any thoughts on this community's identity and their ineligibility to represent the IFA despite their identification with NI? Do you think means should be provided by which they could represent the team they support?

Not sure what exactly the meetings have been about, but I think they have been cordial.

The Minister for Sport in Northern Ireland is, of course, is a member of PSF.

In recent months, we've had PSF members in the Directors Box at Windsor Park on at least 3 occasions, I think.

The Sports Minister at a Northern Ireland game.
The Deputy First Minister at the Linfield v Derry City game.
The Lord Mayor of Belfast at the recent Linfield v Crusaders Irish Cup Final.

I'm fully aware of the small Unionist community from Donegal - I believe there are a few of them who come to Northern Ireland matches regularly, including FHTB. They even have a Donegal NISC banner which is regularly on display at our matches.

Basil McCrea, who in recent times stood for leadership of the Ulster Unionist Party, is a Donegal man.

There was a small Unionist political party in Donegal up to the late 90's - the Donegal Progressive Party.

Given a choice, I would guess that the Unionists of Donegal would rather play for the IFA than the FAI - but, as you know, they couldn't even if they wanted to as they mostly don't have British Citizenship. I don't see anyway around that - even if they were to acquire British Citizenship, the extra criteria would kick in for eligibility which would preclude them.

Regarding support for England, they are the first choice for many "Loyalists" in Northern Ireland. Seeing England kits in Loyalist areas is not uncommon.

ArdeeBhoy
26/05/2012, 8:52 PM
'PSF'??

Or is this going to produce even more witless innuendo about pennies dropping and the like...

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 10:54 PM
There was a small Unionist political party in Donegal up to the late 90's - the Donegal Progressive Party.

Interesting. I hadn't been aware of such an outfit. Did they seek for Donegal/Ireland to rejoin the UK or just look out for Protestant interests in Donegal?

I remember Holland were another favoured team. Maybe something to do with the King Billy link.

'PSF'??

Progress on "Provos", I suppose...

SwanVsDalton
26/05/2012, 11:02 PM
I'm also aware of at least one DUP politician, Maurice Devenney, who was born and raised in Manorcunningham in Donegal. Perhaps there are other unionist politicians in NI with Donegal roots

Willie Hay is 100% Dun Na nGall. Mary Hamilton born and raised at least partly there. Quite a number of the Derry Unionist Bloc have Donegal roots AFAIK.

Not Brazil
26/05/2012, 11:06 PM
Interesting. I hadn't been aware of such an outfit. Did they seek for Donegal/Ireland to rejoin the UK or just look out for Protestant interests in Donegal?

They opposed a United Ireland.

The DUP guy, Devenney, you mentioned was a member.

The Donegal Unionists felt a great sense of betrayal when they were left behind with partition.

18,000 Donegal men had signed the Ulster Covenant.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 11:09 PM
Willie Hay is 100% Dun Na nGall.

Just came across this in relation to Hay's problems in obtaining British citizenship: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/sinn-feins-martin-mcguinness-to-make-it-easier-to-be-british-16020943.html

ArdeeBhoy
26/05/2012, 11:40 PM
The Donegal Unionists felt a great sense of betrayal when they were left behind with partition.

Hmm, they weren't the only ones...

gastric
27/05/2012, 12:05 AM
I know that PSF have had meetings with the IFA - I'm sure the IFA are well aware of PSF's thoughts about a singular team.

It's a totally pointless viewpoint - there is a team for Nationalists/Republicans throughout
the island to support. They should show some respect to those who choose to have nothing to do with it.

In common with many Northern Ireland supporters, if there is no Northern Ireland International team to support, then there is no International team for us to support.

If we weren't around, I'd perhaps welcome an all UK team at that point - I would feel some sort of affinity to it.

To my mind, Kearns effectively put the singular Ireland team thing to bed - if there was ever political unity, then there might be a singular team...but not before.

At that point, I would think that a number of players from a Unionist background would make it known to FIFA that they wanted
to be eligible for/represent one of British Associations, based on their British Citizenship (guaranteed, whatever the constitutional position is in future, by the GFA) - that would require an amendment to Statutes, obviously.

One team for each community? Very simplistic and convenient. I will continue to argue that the IFA needs to to become more representative of both communities, for two reasons, as it should be representative of all who live there, and if it is to have any future success. In saying this, in no way am I suggesting that I believe a United Ireland will solves the problems that exist. I also support individual choice as CAS allows.

DannyInvincible
27/05/2012, 12:16 AM
They opposed a United Ireland.

Simply for the intended benefit of unionists in NI?

Not Brazil
27/05/2012, 12:16 AM
I will continue to argue that the IFA needs to to become more representative of both communities

Are you going to offer any suggestions whatsoever as to how you think they might go about that?

Do you think that big numbers of nationalists/republicans might be persuaded to support Northern Ireland over the South?

Not Brazil
27/05/2012, 12:19 AM
Simply for the intended benefit of unionists in NI?

I don't know the substance of their policies.

ArdeeBhoy
27/05/2012, 1:09 AM
I will continue to argue that the IFA needs to to become more representative of both communities, for two reasons, as it should be representative of all who live there, and if it is to have any future success.
I think you might be just a bit late on this one...

Do you think that big numbers of nationalists/republicans might be persuaded to support Northern Ireland over the South?

Not if certain people on the other side can't even get the name of the country right...
Clearly some have a very odd perception of geography.

And after BS complimenting you and all.

Not Brazil
27/05/2012, 12:18 PM
the North's fans

certain members of the North's squad

The North

the
North's fanbase

I wasn't talking talking about the North

Without looking too hard, on this thread alone.

In case you missed it earlier, AB, by way of reminder, please save yourself time by not responding to my posts - as I have no intention in future of replying to them.

No further comment necessary.

nigel-harps1954
27/05/2012, 1:13 PM

In case you missed it earlier, AB, by way of reminder, please save yourself time by not responding to my posts - as I have no intention in future of replying to them.

So...after 200 pages, have we finally come to a stop?

BonnieShels
27/05/2012, 1:27 PM
Nope... Never.

I do feel the feedback loop nature of the discourse of the last 2 weeks has been rather annoying.

But to recap from the wonderful post that started it all...

These are the proven interpretation of the FIFA rules of eligibility as they stand now and how they affect us.
These are proven by FIFA practice, not by speculation of how FIFA might or should interpret their own rules.
The thread can be searched for at any time and I can also clarify/edit the content in the thread opening post, should it be necessary.

IOI = Island of Ireland

BORN IN THE IOI
Most anyone born on IOI qualifies to play for the FAI.
One main exception is a NI born player who has already received a senior competitive cap for the IFA.
An IFA capped player at any other level, can switch to the FAI.
Precedent is Daniel Kearns.

DUAL NATIONALS BORN OUTSIDE THE IOI

Most, if not all, qualify because they have a parent or grandparent born on the island of Ireland, not just born in the 26 counties.
The precedent is proven for those players with NI born ancestors, as seen in the eligibility of Alex Bruce. Alex has one or both grandparents born in Co Down.
He was declared eligible for the FAI in 2006 under the eligibility rule, Annex 901, which is exactly the same as current eligibility rule 17.

DUAL NATIONAL ALREADY CAPPED BY ANOTHER ASSOCIATION.

A dual national cannot switch if he has already received a senior competitive international cap.
He can change only once, if he has not already received a senior competitive international cap

eg. Ciaran Clark has been capped at youth level for the FA. He applied to switch to the FAI and that has been approved by FIFA.
At the moment, he is selected to play in a senior friendly, but not yet capped at the time of writing.
He is regarded as 'switched to the FAI' when he has received a cap.

He received this cap against Wales and as a result is tied to the FAI.

DUAL NATIONAL, NOT ALREADY CAPPED.

The player has 2 choices until he receives a senior competitive cap.
Aiden McGeady is tied to the FAI, since he received his first senior competitive cap.

James McCarthy is now tied to the FAI as he has received his first senior competitive cap.

http://foot.ie/threads/147164-Eligibility-Rules-Okay?p=1449737&viewfull=1#post1449737

I changed the bit pertaining to Jimmy Mac and Ciarán Clark.

Now... go...

geysir
27/05/2012, 1:54 PM
I changed the bit pertaining to Jimmy Mac and Ciarán Clark.

Now... go...
I would have edited quite a few bits on that original first post in this thread but we (ordinary mortal members) don't have that possibility after a period of time has passed.

ArdeeBhoy
27/05/2012, 1:59 PM

Except it is 'The North'. Even yer own fans refer to it as that.
And certainly plenty of the inhabitants do. Often with a disparaging epithet.

I don't care who you personally respond to, but if you post nonsense people will pull you up on it.

'No further comment necessary' indeed.

BonnieShels
27/05/2012, 2:31 PM
I would have edited quite a few bits on that original first post in this thread but we (ordinary mortal members) don't have that possibility after a period of time has passed.

Don't I know it. My endeavours in the ticket exchange thread are clearly not the work of a forum god.

geysir, It's that mortality that keeps you grounded. It's a humility that is clearly missing within the realms of the pantheon of foot.ie's Trinity of John83, dahamsta and pineapple stu. Stu being the Holy Ghost of course.
They think they're so great editing after days and days and fixing NB's inability to multiquote.
Bow down! For their wrath is mighty!

Jaysus, it's warm out.

co. down green
27/05/2012, 3:03 PM
Sinn Féin's Sandra McLellan and Matt Carthy calling for an all-Ireland team at their Ard Fheis earlier. They must have missed the one McClean and Gibson will be lining out for later. Why do they keep calling for this? They obviously have no idea what FIFA rules are on the matter in that a single, de jure all-island team is not something presently possible, no matter how ideal it might seem.

SDLP also called for the 'creation of an all-Ireland soccer team' in their manifesto.

I was forwarded documentation/letters from the SDLP to the Irish Goverment relating to the Gibson/Kearns issue and i'm aware that both Sinn Fein & the SDLP were very active in submitting various communications prior to the eligibility issue being resolved.

Not Brazil
27/05/2012, 3:51 PM
SDLP also called for the 'creation of an all-Ireland soccer team' in their manifesto.

Except there is a de facto "all-Ireland soccer team".

Another Party who fought for the right of choice for players from Northern Ireland to play for The South, but now seek to remove the choice of Northern Irish born players to play for Northern Ireland.

Calls for a singular all Ireland team are now, as DI intimated, "empty rhetoric".

The Kearns judgement established the right of choice.

That right of choice for players extends to players who want nothing to do with the FAI sides must be upheld and respected by those who fought for choice in the first place.

co. down green
27/05/2012, 4:26 PM
The Kearns judgement established the right of choice.

That right of choice for players extends to players who want nothing to do with the FAI sides must be upheld and respected by those who fought for choice in the first place.

Don't disagree. While two teams remain then it's a players choice, that's always been my view.

Pity the IFA couldn't accept the right of choice for players in the north without dragging Kearns throught he courts, but hey that's in the past now.

CAS sorted the issue and thus i'm happy for a player to decide within the FIFA regulations.

geysir
27/05/2012, 4:35 PM
I would disagree. The right of choice for dual nationals was already established in the FIFA statutes. It did not have to be fought for, as it was already there.
CAS just confirmed what had already been established.

co. down green
27/05/2012, 4:47 PM
I would disagree. The right of choice for dual nationals was already established in the FIFA statutes. It did not have to be fought for, as it was already there.
CAS just confirmed what had already been established.

Probably shouldn't have included NB's quote in my post above 'The Kearns judgement established the right of choice' as it's incorrect.

DannyInvincible
27/05/2012, 4:52 PM
Pity the IFA couldn't accept the right of choice for players in the north without dragging Kearns throught he courts, but hey that's in the past now.

We hope...

Not Brazil
27/05/2012, 4:56 PM
Probably shouldn't have included NB's quote in my post above 'The Kearns judgement established the right of choice' as it's incorrect.

More accurately, the Kearns judgement confirmed the right of choice.

gastric
27/05/2012, 11:23 PM

Geysir , I hope you feel suitably guilty for the monster you created. It's all your fault!

BonnieShels
28/05/2012, 8:07 AM
The irony of all of this is that it all stemmed from the succinct post that started it all.
Hilarious.

It just goes to show that Irish people really like to argue the toss about anything.

geysir
28/05/2012, 3:23 PM
No we don't.

DannyInvincible
28/05/2012, 5:51 PM
*** is there a moderator that stops new posters??? ***

I'm guessing your posts might be moderated until you reach a certain number; possibly 10 or something. But if anyone wants to argue with me on that, this is the thread for it...

DannyInvincible
28/05/2012, 8:35 PM
Thought this was an interesting one; 'Ljajic suspended from Serbian national team': http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/soccer/wires/05/28/2080.ap.soc.serbia.ljajic.2nd.ld.writethru.246/index.html

Midfielder Adem Ljajic has been suspended from the Serbian national team for failing to sing the national anthem before a friendly against Spain, Serbia's football association said Monday.

It said in a statement that Serbia's new coach Sinisa Mihajlovic "sent Ljajic home'' because he did not comply with one of his rules that stipulates players have to sing the anthem before all international matches.

Ljajic, who is a Muslim unlike most of the Serbian team players who are Christian Orthodox, did not sing the anthem "because of his personal reasons,'' the statement said.

"The coach had a meeting with Ljajic,'' the statement said. "After getting the information that because of his personal reasons he did not sing the anthem, Sinisa Mihajlovic told the player to return home.''

Serbia lost 2-0 against Spain in St. Gallen, Switzerland, on Saturday. Serbia, which did not qualify for the European Championship, is to play France in another friendly match later this week.

The association said that when the 20-year-old Ljajic changes his "personal stand,'' he will be allowed back into the squad.

"If I don't respect myself, no one will respect me,'' Ljajic said upon his return to Belgrade on Monday.

Olé Olé
28/05/2012, 9:03 PM
I'm just going to post the lyrics of the Serbian national anthem to make it slightly more clear as to what his objections are. I suppose one distinction that can be drawn between the two scenarios is that Ljajic is objecting on religious grounds, while someone like McClean is objecting on the grounds that he does not feel the need to pay homage to the Queen of the United Kingdom.

God of Justice; Thou who saved us
when in deepest bondage cast,
Hear Thy Serbian children's voices,
Be our help as in the past.

With Thy mighty hand sustain us,
Still our rugged pathway trace;
God, our hope; protect and cherish,(*)
Serbian lands and Serbian race!(*)
(Repeat last two lines)

Bind in closest links our kindred
Teach the love that will not fail,
May the loathed fiend of discord
Never in our ranks prevail.

Let the golden fruits of union
Our young tree of freedom grace;
God, our Master! Guide and prosper,
Serbian lands and Serbian race!
(Repeat last two lines)

Lord! Avert from us Thy vengeance,
Thunder of Thy dreaded ire;
Bless each Serbian town and hamlet,
Mountain, meadow, heart and spire.

When our host goes forth to battle
Death or victory to embrace-
God of armies! Be our leader,
Strengthen then the Serbian race!
(Repeat last two lines)

On our sepulchre of ages
Breaks the resurrection morn,
From the slough of direst slavery
Serbia anew is born.

Through five hundred years of durance
We have knelt before Thy face,
All our kin, O God! Deliver,
Thus entreats the Serbian race!
(Repeat last two lines)

Actually, in hindsight, there's a lot in those words that carries geographical reference that, perhaps, Ljajic may be uncomfortable with.

We must also bear in mind that Ljajic hasn't always enjoyed the best of relationships with his managers. He recently got Fiorentina's manager the sack when the coach decided to attack him with a flurry of punches and having been due to sign for Manchester United, Alex Ferguson dubiously cited a lack of progression as the reason for the plug being pulled on Ljajic's deal.

EDIT: Wiki states it's normally only the first two verses that are sung.

Not Brazil
29/05/2012, 5:15 PM
Thought this was an interesting one

So was this DI, taken from your latest blog.

To both my surprise and disappointment, it has come to my attention that there are elements within the IFA still operating behind the scenes with the intention of deciphering a method by which Irish nationals could be rendered ineligible by FIFA to play for the FAI.

At no time have I claimed "that there are elements within the IFA still operating behind the scenes with the intention of deciphering a method by which Irish nationals could be rendered ineligible by FIFA to play for the FAI". That is your interpreatation of my comments.

What I did say, verbatim, was this:

"If the IFA went back to FIFA to lobby to have their (FIFA's) previous suggestion to allow Citizens of the Republic Of Ireland to play for Northern Ireland put in place - and were successful - that would bring Article 6 of the FIFA Eligibility Statutes into play.

I'm hearing whispers of such an approach being considered"

By that I meant that an approach to the IFA on that basis was being considered - the "elements" involved are not "within the IFA", but supportive of the IFA. My comments are, indeed, open to interpretation.

By way of clarification:

I don't think that such an approach to the IFA would get wings - I get the feeling that most within the IFA are resigned to the Kearns verdict and would seek to operate within it's findings, going foward.

The Head of Community Relations in the IFA would share my view that attempts to deny the right of any Citizen Of Republic Of Ireland to play for the Republic Of Ireland are self harming - they do nothing for community relations whatsoever. It is an issue we have discussed on many occassions, and, no doubt, will continue to discuss in future. I would not always have held such views, but have grown to that way of thinking having discussed the issue in detail with people from various angles on the debate.

There are those within the Northern Ireland fanbase whose wish it still is to see the right of a Republic Of Ireland Citizen to play for the Republic of Ireland denied ie. you play for Northern Ireland, or you don't play International football at all would be their viewpoint. It was from one such fan that I heard of a possible approach to the IFA being made on the basis I outlined, by a small group of fans.

I am a critic of the IFA's approach over the eligibility issue, as my posts in recent years would evidence.

On this occassion, "a whisper" does not constitute skullduggery at Windsor Avenue.

Notwithstanding, your blog makes for an interesting read.

http://backpagefootball.com/opinion/ifa-to-formally-revisit-irish-player-eligibility-issue/