PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

geysir
07/04/2016, 5:49 PM
Invited the entire away support to dinner at a couple of recent women's internationals.

Should that not be, 'he invited the entire away support, the couple at the recent women's internationals?'

Gather round
08/04/2016, 9:07 AM
Eight (including a couple) and three respectively for visits to up-country Belgium and Motherwell.

Coincidentally I've just seen another Icelander (your departing PM) struggling with basic arithmetic on the TV news ;)

ifk101
08/04/2016, 9:24 AM
Invited the entire away support to dinner at a couple of recent women's internationals.

He invited the away support to a couple of recent women's internationals for dinner?

paul_oshea
08/04/2016, 9:35 AM
I was thinking about this before, but is Herzegovina a similar situation to ours? Croats born there, playing for Croatia? I assume they are eligible in the same way as ROI players born in the North.

geysir
08/04/2016, 7:49 PM
I was thinking about this before, but is Herzegovina a similar situation to ours? Croats born there, playing for Croatia? I assume they are eligible in the same way as ROI players born in the North.
The difference is, ethnic Croats born in B&H are not automatically Croat citizens just by virtue of being born in B&H. They have to acquire it by satisfying criteria to establish their basic Croat ethnicity, according to their citizenship laws article 16 (http://www.culture.gouv.fr/entreelibre/Laurette/country/croatiatxt.html)
Therefore the criteria in Fifa article 7 apply for them, should they so desire.
And as you know, we Irish enter through the front door, via article 5.

DannyInvincible
16/04/2016, 9:24 PM

From having had a look for an appropriate parallel a few years ago, I think a somewhat similar situation to our own is Turkey-Northern Cyprus. That's just from my own research. Turkey extends citizenship extra-territorially over the northern half of the island of Cyprus; a territory only it recognises as being under its jurisdiction. The rest of the world, or at least the UN, views the whole of Cyprus as a 'de jure' sovereign and independent state. I could do with double-checking, but, from memory, I don't think any other state in the world recognises Turkey's territorial claim or the extension of its citizenship law as legitimate. It's different from out situation in that sense; the UK formally endorsed the extra-territoriality of Irish citizenship law over the entire island via the GFA. In spite of global disapproval or non-recognition of Turkey's claim, however, Muzzy Izzet and Colin Kazim-Richards qualified to play for Turkey through their Northern Cypriot ancestry. FIFA may not acknowledge the legitimacy of Northern Cyprus, but they recognise Turkish citizenship as valid, so long as someone possesses it and fulfils the relevant eligibility criteria.

Gather round
17/04/2016, 9:26 AM
I don't think any other state in the world recognises Turkey's territorial claim or the extension of its citizenship law as legitimate

Didn't one fairly large country (Bangladesh from memory) do so in the past?

It's different from out situation in that sense; the UK formally endorsed the extra-territoriality of Irish citizenship law over the entire island via the GFA

Strictly, is that endorsement any more than symbolic? I mean, you can offer citizenship to me, or whoever you fancy, regardless what I or the Brit government think. Like you have done for decades ;)

In spite of global disapproval or non-recognition of Turkey's claim, however, Muzzy Izzet and Colin Kazim-Richards qualified to play for Turkey through their Northern Cypriot ancestry. FIFA may not acknowledge the legitimacy of Northern Cyprus, but they recognise Turkish citizenship as valid, so long as someone possesses it and fulfils the relevant eligibility criteria

If the Cypriot problem isn't resolved, Kibris should be welcomed by FIFA/ UEFA. There could be a celebratory tournament involving NI, Norway and wannabe breakaway nordie regions of other countries (Catalunya, Vlanderen, Padania etc.) to welcome them.

DannyInvincible
17/04/2016, 3:05 PM
Didn't one fairly large country (Bangladesh from memory) do so in the past?

It seems Bangladesh and Pakistan may have done, although this is no longer the case. Some info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_Northern_Cyprus

Turkey is the only country which recognises Northern Cyprus and has an embassy in North Nicosia. Northern Cyprus has an embassy in Ankara.

In 2005 the President of Gambia, Yahya Jammeh, said that Gambia was ready to recognize the independence of Northern Cyprus. The Cypriot government protested and Gambia did not recognize the TRNC.

In October 2011, Libya signed cooperation treaties with TRNC government.

In 1983 Bangladesh and Pakistan withdrew recognition after UNSC Resolution 541 and international pressure.

Strictly, is that endorsement any more than symbolic? I mean, you can offer citizenship to me, or whoever you fancy, regardless what I or the Brit government think. Like you have done for decades ;)

It is symbolic in the sense that Irish citizenship was available to northerners since 1956. Pre-GFA, it was officially a matter of diplomatic tension/dispute.

punkrocket
18/04/2016, 12:57 PM
I hadn't noticed this before, makes interesting reading.
Have they missed anyone?
http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/green-shoots-tracking-irish-players-abroad-35

tetsujin1979
18/04/2016, 1:04 PM
the FAI publish that most Monday's, they missed Jake Mulraney's goal in that article

DannyInvincible
20/04/2016, 12:50 PM
There's some talk today that Adnan Januzaj would be keen to switch from Belgium to Kosovo if/when Kosovo is recognised by FIFA, despite already having represented Belgium competitively at senior level. Although I'm not aware of anything in the statutes to cover this situation, I understand (from the reports) that FIFA would permit him to make such a switch as the option of Kosovo wasn't available to him when he first committed to Belgium.

I think I recall we discussed some precedent examples of this before in this thread. Was having a quick look but couldn't find the exact discussion on it. Can anyone recall?

NeverFeltBetter
20/04/2016, 12:58 PM
The lengthy enough discussion on Januzaj started here: http://foot.ie/threads/147164-Eligibility-Rules-Okay?p=1713805&viewfull=1#post1713805

DannyInvincible
20/04/2016, 1:12 PM
Cheers! It was this post of geysir's I was looking for:

Actually, it's just common sense, considering that only players from the tiny Serbian ethnic community inside Kosovo declare for Serbia, the rest declare for anybody but Serbia, but mostly Albania.

Kosovo stuff
Kosovo status (http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/football-wins-amid-political-row-over-kosovo-status)
It is understood that once Kosovo is a full FIFA member, any eligible players will have a window of opportunity in which to switch allegiances from their current teams to Kosovo.

Montenegro stuff Montenegro wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegro_national_football_team)
the chapter Current Squad
In international football, players can normally only play for one national team once they play in all or part of any match recognised as a full international by FIFA. However, an exception is made in cases where one or more newly-independent states are created out of a former state. Based on current FIFA rules, a player will be eligible to play for Montenegro, even if he had previously represented Serbia and Montenegro or any other country, if at least one of the following statements applies:[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegro_national_football_team#cite_note-9)

He was born in Montenegro.
At least one of his parents and/or at least one of his grandparents was born in Montenegro.
He has lived in Montenegro continuously for any two-year period.

Due to mixed ancestries, it is likely that a high percentage of the players eligible to play for Montenegro will also remain eligible to play for Serbia, and vice versa. However, once they have played for either Serbia or Montenegro in any competitive fixture, they are no longer eligible to play for any other nation.

There is a linked reference to a FIFA pdf document on the status transfer of players, maybe there is something more in that document.
But I'm satisfied enough not to pursue it any further :)

NeverFeltBetter
20/04/2016, 1:25 PM
No problem. Januzaj remains an interesting case, notwithstanding his apparent decline from potentially world-class to one of several players left blighted by Van Gaal's tenure (that loan spell to Dortmund was a disaster). He certainly isn't going to be first teaming for Belgium any time soon, but I presume he'd be a shoe-in for Kosovo.

BonnieShels
20/04/2016, 11:53 PM
Andrei Kanchelskis (USSR) was a famous one that continued to play on for the succession team (Russia) rather than the newly created motherland team of Ukraine.

geysir
21/04/2016, 10:32 PM
Cheers! It was this post of geysir's I was looking for:
Thank you Danny, it's an honour to be quoted by a pro.
AFAIR, Charlie disagreed, but his argument was badly let down due it's heavy dependance on a Sepp Blatter quote.

Charlie Darwin
22/04/2016, 1:06 AM
That doesn't sound like me.

geysir
22/04/2016, 8:29 AM
Probably your disagreement had much more to do with there being room for doubt and lack of clear precedents, but you also added in a quote from Sepp about the Kosovo eligible players.
But that's the bit I remember, a quote from Sepp and you gave the Sepp quote some credibility due to the reputation of the journalist or newspaper who did the interview, because possibly Sepp's believability factor was absent.
I thought it was humorous at the time, that's why I remember it, no other agenda involved.

Charlie Darwin
22/04/2016, 3:02 PM
As far as we were all concerned at the time, Herr Sepp was a paragon of virtue and perhaps the most intelligent and honest man in football.

geysir
03/05/2016, 1:20 PM
It has finally come to pass, Kosovo have been admitted into Uefa (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/03/kosovo-accepted-uefa-member-vote-congress), It was a close enough vote 28 -24, probably (long time opponent) Platini's absence from the scene helped matters along Kosovo's way.

This article, Kosovo's UEFA Dreams (http://www.rferl.org/content/kosovo-uefa-soccer-dreams/27711578.html), puts a dampner on a mass exit of Kosovo eligible internationals currently attached to other national teams, "mass defections are unlikely".

paul_oshea
03/05/2016, 1:44 PM
That was a close vote, I imagine most from the balkans would have sided with Seriba, it would be interesting to see the breakdown.

As an Irishman, I think it would be difficult for us to vote for Kosovo either.

paul_oshea
03/05/2016, 1:46 PM
As far as we were all concerned at the time, Herr Sepp was a paragon of virtue and perhaps the most intelligent and honest man in football.

Everyone but me. Obviously : P

Stuttgart88
03/05/2016, 2:10 PM
I imagine most from the balkans would have sided with SerbiaSo the Balkans weren't Balkanised?

Charlie Darwin
03/05/2016, 2:54 PM
So the Balkans weren't Balkanised?
I'm sure if they were to become balkanised Paul would have predicted it well in advance.

geysir
03/05/2016, 3:25 PM
That was a close vote, I imagine most from the balkans would have sided with Seriba, it would be interesting to see the breakdown.

I don't know what your irish identity has to do with your difficulties in the matter.
I welcome the Uefa vote to admit Kosovo as a member.

geysir
03/05/2016, 3:43 PM
The most significant decision was taken before the vote, that "recognition by a majority of European nations -- rather than UN membership -- is the basis for acceptance into UEFA".

In theory (fanciful) this could pave the way for a region like Catalonia to gain entry to Uefa and then Fifa would have a hard time playing the Spanish FA veto card.

BonnieShels
03/05/2016, 3:54 PM

How did you come to that conclusion? I would guess that they probably voted for Kosovo's admittance.

Why would that be? I would have thought Ireland would be very pro-self determination.

The breakdown I would wager was something like:

These are the countries that recognise Kosovo:
1 Albania
2 Andorra
3 Austria
4 Belgium
5 Bulgaria
6 Croatia
7 Czech Republic
8 Denmark
9 Estonia
10 Finland
11 France
12 Germany
13 Hungary
14 Iceland
15 Ireland
16 Italy
17 Latvia
18 Liechtenstein
19 Lithuania
20 Luxembourg
21 Macedonia
22 Malta
23 Monaco
24 Montenegro
25 Netherlands
26 Norway
27 Poland
28 Portugal
29 San Marino
30 Slovenia
31 Sweden
32 Switzerland
33 Turkey
34 United Kingdom

Monaco are not UEFA members, the Faroes are not sovereign and the UK are 4 associations (5 if ya count Gibraltar so that would give us a likely scenario of these being the most likely voters):

1 Albania
2 Andorra
3 Austria
4 Belgium
5 Bulgaria
6 Croatia
7 Czech Republic
8 Denmark
9 England
10 Estonia
11 Faroe Islands
12 Finland
13 France
14 Germany
15 Gibraltar
16 Hungary
17 Iceland
18 Ireland
19 Irish FA
20 Italy
21 Latvia
22 Liechtenstein
23 Lithuania
24 Luxembourg
25 Macedonia
26 Malta
27 Montenegro
28 Netherlands
29 Norway
30 Poland
31 Portugal
32 San Marino
33 Scotland
34 Slovenia
35 Sweden
36 Switzerland
37 Turkey
38 Wales

with the following not recognising Kosovo Internationally and therefore most likely to have voted against them at UEFA:

1 Armenia
2 Azerbaijan
3 Belarus
4 Bosnia
5 Cyprus
6 Georgia
7 Greece
8 Israel
9 Kazakhstan
10 Romania
11 Russia
12 Serbia
13 Slovakia
14 Spain
15 Ukraine

So that leaves us 9 short of the 24 that voted against.

If I was to hazard a guess I would plump for:

Albania: have skin in the game and would lose a lot of players
Belgium: have skin in the game and could lose potential players. Also have their own federative and identity problems. Defo not in their interests.
Bulgaria: Russian influence in the FA
Estonia: Russian influence in the FA
Iceland: Russian influence in the FA
Irish FA: Cos they are a shower and not ones into self-determination sorta things
Latvia: Russian influence in the FA
Lithuania: Russian influence in the FA
Turkey: Sher why not. Appease Russia?

paul_oshea
03/05/2016, 3:54 PM
I don't know what your irish identity has to do with your difficulties in the matter.
I welcome the Uefa vote to admit Kosovo as a member.

I don't know, in the same way that those might feel agrieved with the North of Ireland.

Kosovo down through the centuries was a serbian stronghold, populated with mostly ethnic serbs.

You could ask those who typically wouldn't like Serbs of other balkan nations, and they would even feel for the Serbs in this one. It feels a bit like Mayo cessating Irish citizenship/nationality and creating their own Independent state :D Although then again that might not be a bad thing.

@BS I would say you could add Croatia to the no list, Bulgaria and possibly Slovenia too.

BonnieShels
03/05/2016, 4:06 PM
I don't know, in the same way that those might feel agrieved with the North of Ireland.

Kosovo down through the centuries was a serbian stronghold, populated with mostly ethnic serbs.

You could ask those who typically wouldn't like Serbs of other balkan nations, and they would even feel for the Serbs in this one. It feels a bit like Mayo cessating Irish citizenship/nationality and creating their own Independent state :D Although then again that might not be a bad thing.

@BS I would say you could add Croatia to the no list, Bulgaria and possibly Slovenia too.

There is no way in hell that Croatia would have voted against their admittance. No way at all. If Serbia are against something, Croatia are for it. Bulgaria are an obvious possibility. Slovenia like Croatia are not really in the business of being with Serbia on identity things.

paul_oshea
03/05/2016, 4:16 PM
There is no love lost between Croatia and Serbia, thats for sure. But many croats would actually see the kosovo thing, in the same way that they recognise much of Herzegovina as Croatian.

BonnieShels
03/05/2016, 4:20 PM
There is no love lost between Croatia and Serbia, thats for sure. But many croats would actually see the kosovo thing, in the same way that they recognise much of Herzegovina as Croatian.

That makes no sense at all.

They would see the Kosovo thing in that it is part of Serbia? Is that what you're saying? Hardly.

Charlie Darwin
03/05/2016, 5:11 PM

Who feels aggrieved with the north of Ireland? I doubt many in Ireland begrudge them a team. Other European countries would have more of a problem.

geysir
03/05/2016, 5:13 PM

I would be surprised if there was any existing historical data to support your opinion, not even a few morsels.
Quite the opposite, ethnic Serbs were planted into Kosovo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonisation_of_Kosovo).
Perhaps you had better read up on your wikipedia history of Kosovo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Kosovo). :)

BonnieShels
03/05/2016, 5:47 PM
Who feels aggrieved with the north of Ireland? I doubt many in Ireland begrudge them a team. Other European countries would have more of a problem.

Maybe not many. But certainly "some".

paul_oshea
04/05/2016, 9:24 AM
I would be surprised if there was any existing historical data to support your opinion, not even a few morsels.
Quite the opposite, ethnic Serbs were planted into Kosovo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonisation_of_Kosovo).
Perhaps you had better read up on your wikipedia history of Kosovo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Kosovo). :)

Ah Geysir, google opinions by geysir, the man who has travelled the world from the comfort of his own home, who knows everything and hasn't experienced anything. History is open to interpretation, even opinion from time to time. I don't know when your history starts if it predates the ottoman regin or not, but if you insist on wikipedia, I can provide some for you. But if I were you I'd always try and get a bit more perspective maybe even speak to some "local" to get different contexts.

We can start with a Croat(as BS says surely they wouldn't be siding with the Serbs..)
"Archives reveal an overwhelming Serbian demographic majority in Kosovo, which was reversed by the end of Ottoman rule, as Croatian historian Ivo Banac summarised: "Ottoman raids, plunder, slaving forays, as well as the general devastation caused by constant wars uprooted large numbers of Serbs even before the Great Serb Migration".[37] This was followed by the transfer of Albanian pastoralists from the highlands of Albania to the fertile valleys of Kosovo"

"The zenith of Serbian power was reached in 1346, with the formation of the Serbian Empire. During the 13th and 14th centuries, Kosovo became a political and spiritual centre of the Serbian Kingdom. In the late 13th century, the seat of the Serbian Archbishopric was moved to Pec, and rulers centred themselves between Prizren and Skopje,[31] during which time thousands of Christian monasteries and feudal-style forts and castles were erected.[32] When the Serbian Empire fragmented into a conglomeration of principalities in 1371, Kosovo became the hereditary land of the House of Brankovic. In the late 14th and the 15th centurie
Mainstream historiography clarifies that "there is no conclusive evidence that a people unambiguously identifiable as "Albanian" constituted the majority of the population in Kosovo prior to the Ottoman occupation". Even the relatively "pro-Albanian" history written by Noel Malcolm concedes that "the region probably had a predominantly Orthodox Christian and Slavic population from the eight to the mid-nineteenth centuries".[39] Allowing for the possibility of some connection between the region's inhabitants prior to successive Slavic/ Serbian inflows, the Albanians who 'returned' to Kosovo in modern times were certainly not the same people, having intermarried extensively with Vlachs, Slavs, Greeks "

I have met many Croats for example, who wouldn't generally see eye to eye with Serbia on anything, but Kosovo is one thing they feel Serbia is justifably aggrieved about.

The ottoman reign drastically changed the cultural and religious landspace of the central Balkans, and if youre only willing to look at history post the downfall of the ottoman empire then you're getting a very one-sided view.

paul_oshea
04/05/2016, 9:26 AM
And I won't get into a big drawn out debate on this. I don't have the luxury of all the free time you do to post on here and "research" google for hours on end.

Unless we start speaking about the non-existant prosecution of Bosnian War criminals, then I might be able find some time at the weekend :D

geysir
04/05/2016, 10:06 AM
Ah Geysir, google opinions by geysir, the man who has travelled the world from the comfort of his own home, who knows everything and hasn't experienced anything. History is open to interpretation, even opinion from time to time. I don't know when your history starts if it predates the ottoman regin or not, but if you insist on wikipedia, I can provide some for you. But if I were you I'd always try and get a bit more perspective maybe even speak to some "local" to get different contexts.

We can start with a Croat(as BS says surely they wouldn't be siding with the Serbs..)
"Archives reveal an overwhelming Serbian demographic majority in Kosovo, which was reversed by the end of Ottoman rule, as Croatian historian Ivo Banac summarised: "Ottoman raids, plunder, slaving forays, as well as the general devastation caused by constant wars uprooted large numbers of Serbs even before the Great Serb Migration".[37] This was followed by the transfer of Albanian pastoralists from the highlands of Albania to the fertile valleys of Kosovo"

"The zenith of Serbian power was reached in 1346, with the formation of the Serbian Empire. During the 13th and 14th centuries, Kosovo became a political and spiritual centre of the Serbian Kingdom. In the late 13th century, the seat of the Serbian Archbishopric was moved to Pec, and rulers centred themselves between Prizren and Skopje,[31] during which time thousands of Christian monasteries and feudal-style forts and castles were erected.[32] When the Serbian Empire fragmented into a conglomeration of principalities in 1371, Kosovo became the hereditary land of the House of Brankovic. In the late 14th and the 15th centurie
Mainstream historiography clarifies that "there is no conclusive evidence that a people unambiguously identifiable as "Albanian" constituted the majority of the population in Kosovo prior to the Ottoman occupation". Even the relatively "pro-Albanian" history written by Noel Malcolm concedes that "the region probably had a predominantly Orthodox Christian and Slavic population from the eight to the mid-nineteenth centuries".[39] Allowing for the possibility of some connection between the region's inhabitants prior to successive Slavic/ Serbian inflows, the Albanians who 'returned' to Kosovo in modern times were certainly not the same people, having intermarried extensively with Vlachs, Slavs, Greeks "

I have met many Croats for example, who wouldn't generally see eye to eye with Serbia on anything, but Kosovo is one thing they feel Serbia is justifably aggrieved about.

The ottoman reign drastically changed the cultural and religious landspace of the central Balkans, and if youre only willing to look at history post the downfall of the ottoman empire then you're getting a very one-sided view.
Yes Paul, Serbs have used the defeat by the invading Ottomans some 600 years ago as justification for their territorial claims on Kosovo and the ethnic cleansing of the late 1990's.
And that justification is based on ancient history, the Serb invasion and occupation of Kosovo from 12C to 15C.
I'm sure as an Irishman you could identify with those present day Serbian territorial claims on Kosovo directed against the 95% ethnic Kosovo Albanians.
Perhaps those Serbian claims have a little bit more validity than the Vikings might have on Ireland based on their presence here. pre 1014.

paul_oshea
04/05/2016, 10:10 AM
Or the orangemen in the north some 200 years later?

BonnieShels
04/05/2016, 10:54 AM
There wasn't a hint of an Orangeman in the 12th and 13th century.

Henry and his spawn were a way off still.

paul_oshea
04/05/2016, 12:27 PM
600 - 200 = 400 Bonnie.

BonnieShels
04/05/2016, 12:30 PM
600 - 200 = 400 Bonnie.

1014 + 200 = 1214

Paul

paul_oshea
04/05/2016, 12:32 PM
read the post bonnie.

"Yes Paul, Serbs have used the defeat by the invading Ottomans some 600 years ago as justification for their territorial claims on Kosovo and the ethnic cleansing of the late 1990's."

geysir
04/05/2016, 8:17 PM
Seeing as Kosovo has existed as a territory of sorts since the year dot, has had autonomous status since WW2 and is 98% filled with Kosovar Albanians,
Irish people should rally round the Serbs territorial claim to Kosovo because............. we have sympathy for the failed ethnic cleansing campaign?
or what? We identify with the struggle of the oppressed Serbs so much so that we should vote to deny (the almost independent state of) Kosovo entry into Uefa?
"Remember remember the Battle of Kosovo 1450" How could we ever forget! Damn the historically challenged FAI for siding with Kosovo.

Charlie Darwin
04/05/2016, 11:36 PM
You're all ignoring the real issue here. Which is if we did support Serbia, how long would it take for a Kosovo flag to show up at a Northern Ireland match?

BonnieShels
06/05/2016, 11:38 AM
You're all ignoring the real issue here. Which is if we did support Serbia, how long would it take for a Kosovo flag to show up at a Northern Ireland match?

Youre ignoring tr even bigger issue what of the FAI and the IFA supported Serbia on this issue, OWC would be in a dilly of a pickle.

tetsujin1979
06/05/2016, 1:41 PM
didn't know whether to post his here, or in the "Potentially Eligible Players" thread
former Northern Ireland U18 schoolboy international Ronan Hale, currently with Birmingham City has switched to the Republic of Ireland. His brother has also played for the North
from http://www.irishfa.com/news/2015/march/u18-schools-squad-named

Paul Smyth and Ronan Hale have been called into the Under 18 squad. Smyth is the first boy from St Louise's Comprehensive School to gain international representative honours while Hale is the brother of Rory Hale, who was capped at Under 16 level three years ago, and is the grandson of former Crusaders striker Danny Hale.

Mohan names Under 18 squad for Germany game: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mohan-names-under-18-squad-for-germany-game

Forwards: Josh Barrett (Reading), Trevor Clarke (Shamrock Rovers), Ronan Hale (Birmingham City)

Olé Olé
06/05/2016, 3:29 PM
Interesting to see how many young lads there are going to Catholic schools and then also playing with Derry or Institute or Cliftonville.

CraftyToePoke
06/05/2016, 4:24 PM
didn't know whether to post his here, or in the "Potentially Eligible Players" thread
former Northern Ireland U18 schoolboy international Ronan Hale, currently with Birmingham City has switched to the Republic of Ireland. His brother has also played for the North

I was sitting in Shannon Airport last week Tets and the fella next to me turns out to be a Brimingham City ST, and he started telling me about an Irish kid who was making their bench recently, but he thought the player was from Limerick, I don't know of any Limerick lads at Brimingham presently, do you ? I think he was on about this lad maybe but had his Irish place names jumbled.

Anyway, he reckoned there was potential there to break through, whoever he was talking about.

tetsujin1979
06/05/2016, 4:37 PM
Only Irish I'm aware of at Birmingham are Stephen Gleeson, who's a Dub, and Noe Baba, who was raised in Mayo. Baba hasn't been involved with the first team though
Gleeson's the only Irish player listed on their wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_City_F.C.#Current_squad

CraftyToePoke
06/05/2016, 4:44 PM
Yeah, my thoughts too.

Anyway, this Hale chappie hit four recently - http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-goal-machine-scores-10829315

And is glad he didn't quit the game after Cliftonville dropped him, and has signed pro with Brum of late - http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/ronan-hale-birmingham-city-blues-3002364.aspx

A striker with 22 in 17 at U18 for Birmingham.

Knee injury in the post any time now surely.