PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

ArdeeBhoy
11/03/2012, 1:48 AM
Solitude is not a "nationalist arena".

We'll see if any Cliftonville supporting posters support your ridiculous assertion that it is.

Sorry, the vast majority of their fans are of a nationalist persuasion;just like Linfield fans are similar to you, or even more so unionist. Why pretend otherwise??

I'll give you a pardon on the grounds of your, increasingly evident, ignorance.

I voted "YES" in the Good Friday Agreement referendum.

What's 'ignorant' about you 'claiming' to vote for Marty & co as I highlighted. Why even type it then?
You voted 'Yes';Bully for you being so 'open-minded'.

I respect your position, as was the majority. Why go on about it?

Now, now - stop boasting.

Well actually it's your selective 'quoting' that is laughable...

Also, why not learn to 'multi-quote'??
:rolleyes:

Not Brazil
11/03/2012, 10:35 AM
Sorry, the vast majority of their fans are of a nationalist persuasion

I don't dispute that.

However, Solitude is not a "Nationalist arena".

Not Brazil
11/03/2012, 10:39 AM
What's 'ignorant' about you 'claiming' to vote for Marty & co as I highlighted.

I have never, and will never, put an X on any ballot paper beside any candidate of the Party that Marty is a member of.

ArdeeBhoy
11/03/2012, 10:41 AM
So why say it then?
Because your pedantry is rather :rolleyes: selective.

Not Brazil
11/03/2012, 11:14 AM
So why say it then?

I have never claimed to have put an X on any ballot paper beside any candidate representing the Party of which Marty is a member.

Why do you make things up?

ArdeeBhoy
11/03/2012, 11:52 AM
I voted to put Marty and his Provo mates into power, long before 'lazarous' firebrand Ian Paisley would entertain that notion.

So this was written by an imposter??

You couldn't make it up...
;)

Newryrep
11/03/2012, 2:45 PM
Not sure what your point is, and the spelling mistakes don't help!

Dannys blog can be summed up as follows
I am not, never was ,never will Northern irish
I am an irishman
The End

NB while understanding this view does not concur with and views himself as Northern irish and or irish and or British, which most people understand

Your ill informed noncesnce you posted meant you either didnt read or understand Danny's Excellent blog on it which encapulates the thoughts of irishmen born in Northernn Ireland.

the highlights being

It is tragic that NI born players feel they cannot represent their country of birth because of this nauseating attitude.

Their country if they are nationalist has its capital city as Dublin - IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE

Maybe when the likes of the Faroes Islands beat you, the likes of you will realise that maybe it is time to make a genuine and sincere effort to accommodate the Nationalist Community. Until then I hope this exodus continues and highlights the hypocrisy of the FAI and its supposedly 'soccer supporters.'

I as a nationalist have no wish to have anything to do with the IFA NI football team, the rubbich posted here regularily and elsewhere that 'if they changed their anthem, changed their ground changed their flag are just red herrings - there is nothing the IFA can do that would make me give allegience to their team

I am not Northern Irish and would NEVER describe myself as such

What I cannot abide is how soccer has been used as a vehicle for political views over the years and still continues today in NI. I also believe that NI continues to alienate many in the Nationalist Community. Recent progress has only been made due to the defections that continue to irk NI supporters. The appointments of Michael O 'Neill and Gerry Armstrong smack of desperation. Positive discrimination has been forced upon the IFA.

maybe 'soccer' isnt for you then, international football is an expression of identy, which is the exact reason NI supportors are so vociferous as its practically the only expression they have

The appointment of MON was because he was the best candidate, the GA one was a PR sop to NI fans

Positive discrimination my arse

Unfortunately, NB you don't have the ability to accept this reality and your ideas regarding U19s and international representation is a ruse to cover over the anger and embarrassment that this brings to NI football. I hope players continue to represent NI at youth levels and then join us as is their democratic right. Maybe then reality will bite and players from the Nationalist Community will feel they are part of an inclusive team that can achieve success.

The continued extremist political aspects of your posts show that while you think you are progressive, you are actually the problem.

Utter tripe, I actually agree with NB, I would have no problem with players having to declare at 18 which international team they wish to play for.dont you know your nationailty at 18 ? It will never happen though

the IFA and their fans have made great strides in the past years and it would be churlish not to acknowlege it but the bottom line is its not for me

And it football BTW not soccer

Newryrep
11/03/2012, 2:53 PM

;)

He voted YES in the referendum, the options werre YES/NO no parties were mentioned fromwhat I can recall

geysir
11/03/2012, 3:01 PM
NB while understanding this view does not concur with and views himself as Northern irish and or irish and or British, which most people understand

Actually I don't understand the identity mix but I can park the lack of understanding until such time that the penny drops.

ArdeeBhoy
11/03/2012, 3:31 PM
He voted YES in the referendum, the options werre YES/NO no parties were mentioned fromwhat I can recall
Except if you read what was said, this is not what's being disputed.

DannyInvincible
11/03/2012, 4:23 PM
Actually I don't understand the identity mix but I can park the lack of understanding until such time that the penny drops.

The argument goes that there is more than one Irish identity. The independent national identity channelled officially through the Irish state is just one of those. Others might be different in nature - and thus I think worthy of distinction for the sake of understanding - but they might still be called Irish by virtue of being of the island of Ireland.

Think of the Irish language... There's the Irish language - Gaelic - and then I suppose you could say there are other Irish languages by virtue of them being spoken on the island; they might include (Hiberno, Mid Ulster and South Ulster) English, (Ulster) Scots or Shelta. Obviously, they still require distinction from Gaelic.

ArdeeBhoy
11/03/2012, 4:46 PM
A fair point Danny;but most people on the island would probably see themselves as Irish, British or from elsewhere.

With a fringe minority claiming the former two, whilst suggesting all nationalists should revoke their British 'citizenship'.

Not Brazil
11/03/2012, 5:16 PM

;)

I'm beginning to think you're not the brightest AB.

Because of that, I'm thinking of giving you a fools pardon.

Not Brazil
11/03/2012, 5:17 PM
Except if you read what was said, this is not what's being disputed.

What, exactly, are you disputing now?

Not Brazil
11/03/2012, 5:21 PM
With a fringe minority claiming the former two, whilst suggesting all nationalists should revoke their British 'citizenship'.

Who has ever suggested Northern Irish born Nationalists should revoke their British Citizenship?

Can you provide evidential links confirming any such calls?

I'd be very interested in seeing/reading same, as I have never heard anyone make such a call in my entire life.

Not Brazil
11/03/2012, 5:23 PM

That's a bit too difficult for the Bhoy from Ardee to comprehend Newryrep.

ArdeeBhoy
11/03/2012, 5:31 PM
Says someone incapable of 'Multi-quoting'.

Re-read all Your posts in this thread, NB.

Then look up the definitions of 'Denial and 'Hypocrisy'.

geysir
11/03/2012, 5:47 PM
The argument goes that there is more than one Irish identity. The independent national identity channelled officially through the Irish state is just one of those. Others might be different in nature - and thus I think worthy of distinction for the sake of understanding - but they might still be called Irish by virtue of being of the island of Ireland.

Think of the Irish language... There's the Irish language - Gaelic - and then I suppose you could say there are other Irish languages by virtue of them being spoken on the island; they might include (Hiberno, Mid Ulster and South Ulster) English, (Ulster) Scots or Shelta. Obviously, they still require distinction from Gaelic.
That has me more confused :)

ATM, I can handle an Irish only identity and an Irish one with a British overlord tinge, for protection purposes from the mad Gaels/Rome/nasty bigoted nationalists/GAA and gombeen shifty southern politicians.

Other options are Northern Irish which I understand as a Cork republic type thing, not serious enough to consider independence.

So you're left with Northern Irish but British and Northern Irish but Irish.
We can't give you the Ulster identity because there is no Ulster identity, maybe there's a bástard brew called Ulster lite, claiming it to be the real Ulster brew.

Maybe instead of a language analogy, you can give me a brewing analogy?

Not Brazil
11/03/2012, 5:47 PM
Their country if they are nationalist has its capital city as Dublin - IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE

I as a nationalist have no wish to have anything to do with the IFA NI football team, the rubbich posted here regularily and elsewhere that 'if they changed their anthem, changed their ground changed their flag are just red herrings - there is nothing the IFA can do that would make me give allegience

I respect your views Newryrep.

I'm glad you raised this issue - gastric obviously feels that Northern Nationalists are only playing for the FAI because the big, bad, IFA are cold shouldering them.

I, like you, thought they wanted to play for the FAI because they, as Nationalists, consider the Republic Of Ireland as their country, and therefore the FAI to be their "first choice" Association.

I can understand entirely that gastric's comments could be deemed offensive by some Northern Nationalist players and supporters.

Not Brazil
11/03/2012, 5:58 PM
Says someone incapable of 'Multi-quoting'.

Re-read all Your posts in this thread, NB.

Then look up the definitions of 'Denial and 'Hypocrisy'.

Dear Ardeebhoy,

I have, somewhat reluctantly, decided that I will no longer be engaging in discussion/debate with you.

Whilst I have enjoyed the banter, you repeatedly have been unable to substantiate many of your claims, when challenged to do so.

It has reached the point where you have divorced yourself from all reason and rationale.

There are several well read, articulate, and fair minded people on these forums with whom I would rather devote more time to engaging with on the "eligibility issue", and matters flowing from that.

Good luck, and enjoy your summer.

ArdeeBhoy
11/03/2012, 6:16 PM
I refer you to my last post.

People in glass houses and all that.

Plus you're the one looking continually to find pedantic fault with every post or failing to acknowledge your own overt contradictions of which recently there's been many!

Newryrep
11/03/2012, 7:48 PM
That has me more confused :)

ATM, I can handle an Irish only identity and an Irish one with a British overlord tinge, for protection purposes from the mad Gaels/Rome/nasty bigoted nationalists/GAA and gombeen shifty southern politicians.

Other options are Northern Irish which I understand as a Cork republic type thing, not serious enough to consider independence.

So you're left with Northern Irish but British and Northern Irish but Irish.
We can't give you the Ulster identity because there is no Ulster identity, maybe there's a bástard brew called Ulster lite, claiming it to be the real Ulster brew.

Maybe instead of a language analogy, you can give me a brewing analogy? maybe a triganometry one then

Some people in NI view themselves as Northern irish - Northern Irish being a sub set of British along with Scottish welsh etc Think one big cicle (british) with 4 separae smaller circles (eng Scot welsh NI) inside it

some people in NI view them selves as Irish as well as british. Think one big circle (British ) with 3 separate smaller circles in it and one separate smaller circles 1/4 in 3/4 out (irish)

Some people in NI think there are 2 cirlces not connected at all, one Irish and one British along with all the other sovereign circles french German etc

Hope that clears it up, the triganometry lesson is now over*

the above is of course complicated by the fact that one of the smaller circles (england) actullly isnt very small at all ..............and will inevitably take precedent over the other 3 ciricles so much in fact that it is frequently interchangeable with the big circle. (but that is a different arguement all together)

gastric
11/03/2012, 9:40 PM
Dannys blog can be summed up as follows
I am not, never was ,never will Northern irish
I am an irishman
The End

Your ill informed noncesnce you posted meant you either didnt read or understand Danny's Excellent blog on it which encapulates the thoughts of irishmen born in Northernn Ireland.

the highlights being

I as a nationalist have no wish to have anything to do with the IFA NI football team, the rubbich posted here regularily and elsewhere that 'if they changed their anthem, changed their ground changed their flag are just red herrings - there is nothing the IFA can do that would make me give allegience to their team

I am not Northern Irish and would NEVER describe myself as such

maybe 'soccer' isnt for you then, international football is an expression of identy, which is the exact reason NI supportors are so vociferous as its practically the only expression they have

The appointment of MON was because he was the best candidate, the GA one was a PR sop to NI fans

Positive discrimination my arse

Utter tripe, I actually agree with NB, I would have no problem with players having to declare at 18 which international team they wish to play for.dont you know your nationailty at 18 ? It will never happen though

the IFA and their fans have made great strides in the past years and it would be churlish not to acknowlege it but the bottom line is its not for me

And it football BTW not soccer

While I disagree with some of the points you make, I think your opinion sums up my frustrations. You live in NI, but you feel that the NI team does not represent you. I believe that this is the tragedy of the situation and while I respect your acceptance of it, the reality is that this is wrong. National Associations if they are truly sporting organisations should be representative of the whole community they represent. South African rugby is an example that comes to mind. It has made massive strides in becoming a truly inclusive body. Many problems still exist like the positive discrimination rules, but through a determined effort by all, its identity as a sporting representation of white politics has ended.
In terms of Michael O 'Neill's appointment, was he the best man for the job or did they just feel a Catholic was needed because of the ongoing defections? We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
In relation to your comments about U18s making a decision about nationality, why did FIFA change the rules? All I am saying is that these are the rules, let's not manipulate them to cover up any embarrassment on behalf of NI supporters.
The IFA has made positive tangible strides over the last few years which I acknowledge, but at the heart of my frustrations is one of attitude which NB continues to advocate, a soccer team representative of one community.
Lastly, what's this about the word soccer? You seemingly do not understand that it comes from the term 'Association Football' which was used to distinguish it from 'Rugby Football'. It was good enough a nickname a long time ago and I am happy to continue to use it when I want.

Not Brazil
11/03/2012, 10:13 PM
I think your opinion sums up my frustrations. You live in NI, but you feel that the NI team does not represent you. I believe that this is the tragedy of the situation and while I respect your acceptance of it, the reality is that this is wrong.

In terms of Michael O 'Neill's appointment, was he the best man for the job or did they just feel a Catholic was needed because of the ongoing defections? We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

at the heart of my frustrations is one of attitude which NB continues to advocate, a soccer team representative of one community.

You clearly don't understand why proud Irish Nationalists like Newryrep support the Republic Of Ireland.
They must find your comments insulting.

I'm embarrassed for you in your failure to grasp basic identity issues.

MON's appointment had nothing to do with where he says his prayers. Sadly, you sectarianise the debate.

He got the job because the IFA think he's the best man to take the Northern Ireland Senior International team forward at this time. I think they got that wrong, but time will tell.

I resent your ridiculous lies that I advocate a "soccer" team representative of only one side of the community.

I cherish the fact that the Northern Ireland team always has, and always will, contain players from both main traditions in Northern Ireland.

Furthermore I wholly respect the right of those who players who do not identify with the IFA, to express their identity by playing for the FAI.

DannyInvincible
11/03/2012, 11:30 PM
While I disagree with some of the points you make, I think your opinion sums up my frustrations. You live in NI, but you feel that the NI team does not represent you. I believe that this is the tragedy of the situation and while I respect your acceptance of it, the reality is that this is wrong.

Why is it wrong? Identity transcends territorial borders. As has been quoted before on this thread, being born in a stable does not make one a horse. The Irish national identity is not confined merely to within the borders of the Irish state. If everyone in Ireland had happily accepted the imposition of a foreign British label on their heads in the decades/centuries before partition, the Irish state would never have achieved independence itself. It achieved independence because the Irish people believed they were something other and that that something other was worth fighting for. Was that also wrong of them to feel that way?

National Associations if they are truly sporting organisations should be representative of the whole community they represent.

Bit of a tautology there. Primarily, NI represent those individuals who seek to express their Northern Irish identity. In some cases, this may not be the case and players may choose to play for NI for realist/pragmatic/careerist reasons, but that's another argument.

In relation to your comments about U18s making a decision about nationality, why did FIFA change the rules?

It was fundamentally motivated by what FIFA felt was a need to protect young players (http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/bodies/news/newsid=1065926/); to prevent associations from "entrapping" hot prospects.

The IFA has made positive tangible strides over the last few years which I acknowledge, but at the heart of my frustrations is one of attitude which NB continues to advocate, a soccer team representative of one community.

I've never seen anything to suggest he does advocate such a position.

gastric
12/03/2012, 1:49 AM
You have missed my point. I am totally supportive of anyone who supports us, the more the merrier as far as I am concerned. I have also been consistent in the view that players have the right to play for who ever they want and I have expressed this on this thread. What I did find sad was that Newry rejects the IFA as having any relevancy to him. This is not a condemnation of him, but on what I see as a sign of this organisation's ability to be inclusive, and I will continue to argue is the purpose of any national sporting organisation. The GFA acknowledged the uniqueness of the political situation in NI and I think we have seen much bravery by NI politicians.
Unfortunately, I have will not seen such bravery in the opinions expressed by many on here.
Anyone who would rather see their team continue to become less and less competitive, and not acknowledge the reasons behind this are suspect to me.
I think this issue has not really come to a head yet. We could soon have Wilson and Duffy in defence, Gibson and McClean in midfield and the cries by imany NI supporters complaining about treachery will only grow. Heads in the sand stuff if ever there was.

DannyInvincible
12/03/2012, 3:13 AM
What I did find sad was that Newry rejects the IFA as having any relevancy to him.

Are they relevant to him, and, if so, how?

This is not a condemnation of him, but on what I see as a sign of this organisation's ability to be inclusive, and I will continue to argue is the purpose of any national sporting organisation. The GFA acknowledged the uniqueness of the political situation in NI and I think we have seen much bravery by NI politicians.

Unfortunately, I have will not seen such bravery in the opinions expressed by many on here.

So nationalists seeing the IFA as an irrelevance is down to cowardice then rather than the fact that their national identity is better expressed through affiliation with another association? The GFA also acknowledged the right of anyone to identify as either British, Irish or both.

Anyone who would rather see their team continue to become less and less competitive, and not acknowledge the reasons behind this are suspect to me.

Who or what are you referring to exactly? Just speaking generally for football fans, it's only natural that certain principles - be they matters of identity or whatever - take precedence over the level of importance they attribute to their team's competitiveness. Many Ireland fans would object to the inclusion of Stephen Ireland in our squad, not because they view him as inferiorly talented to what we already have, but as a matter of principle due to past behaviour of his they find disagreeable, if not treacherous. If you can't connect with a team, of what value is that team's competitiveness to you?

I think this issue has not really come to a head yet. We could soon have Wilson and Duffy in defence, Gibson and McClean in midfield and the cries by imany NI supporters complaining about treachery will only grow. Heads in the sand stuff if ever there was.

The issue came to a head upon publication of the Kearns judgment in July of 2010. Since then, the IFA have changed their approach in accepting the right of northern-born Irish nationals to play for the FAI and acknowledging that the ball is in their court with regard to making themselves an attractive proposition for the general nationalist communty. What is it you foresee happening?

Charlie Darwin
12/03/2012, 4:11 AM
You have missed my point. I am totally supportive of anyone who supports us, the more the merrier as far as I am concerned. I have also been consistent in the view that players have the right to play for who ever they want and I have expressed this on this thread. What I did find sad was that Newry rejects the IFA as having any relevancy to him. This is not a condemnation of him, but on what I see as a sign of this organisation's ability to be inclusive, and I will continue to argue is the purpose of any national sporting organisation.
Brian McDermott in yesterday's Independent expressed his identity (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/id-have-confidence-going-into-any-job-i-could-do-it-3046283.html) as Irish rather than English. Is this a failure on the part of the FA to be inclusive? Or just his own sense of national identity independent of any organising body in football?

osarusan
12/03/2012, 10:38 AM
What I did find sad was that Newry rejects the IFA as having any relevancy to him. This is not a condemnation of him, but on what I see as a sign of this organisation's ability to be inclusive, and I will continue to argue is the purpose of any national sporting organisation.

I very much doubt that the IFA is the only example of how Newryrep feels he is not represented by the political or sporting structures in Northern Ireland.

Your suggestion that those who opt for the FAI over the IFA do so because the IFA hasn't made enough of an effort to become inclusive enough for them is actually quite insulting to Northern Irish nationalists. It implies that these players' decisions to play for FAI teams isn't based on their national identity at all, but that they have decided to play for the FAI teams almost as a second choice - and it implies that if the IFA were to become more inclusive, these players would be happy to play for the IFA. It has been pointed out to you by more than one poster on here that there is nothing the IFA could do to make these posters feel that it is the Northern Irish team which represents their sense of nationality on a football pitch. It's not like these posters consider themselves as Northern Irish in all matters other than the IFA teams.

Newryrep
12/03/2012, 10:57 AM
While I disagree with some of the points you make, I think your opinion sums up my frustrations. You live in NI, but you feel that the NI team does not represent you.

I dont 'feel' the NI team represents me ? its a phase I am going through ? it will pass in time ?, I have stated that the NI team doesnt represent me, because..............it doesnt. My country has Dublin as its capital, Michael D as its president and Amhrán na bhFiann as its anthem. It cant really be put much simplier - I am not Northern Irish (which is a relatively recent phenominum given the first port of call for those of a british tradition was surprise surprise British)

. I believe that this is the tragedy of the situation and while I respect your acceptance of it, the reality is that this is wrong.

Its a tradegy that I am entitled to Irish citizenship ? That i dont revoke my nationality and embrace the clearly british northern irish tradition?

. National Associations if they are truly sporting organisations should be representative of the whole community they represent. South African rugby is an example that comes to mind. It has made massive strides in becoming a truly inclusive body. Many problems still exist like the positive discrimination rules, but through a determined effort by all, its identity as a sporting representation of white politics has ended.

Would you like to buy some magic beans ? International sport by its definition isbound to have a political aspect especially a world sport like football and to deny it is just fanciful - Cricket/rugby arent even in the same league and thats before you mention their eligibility criteria which makes FIFA rules look strict. Those who say sport and politics dont mix are uusally the ones with least to lose and care little and know little about the actual sport in question.

He took a LOI side to the group stages of the Europa league and won the title twice he along with Brian Kerr were probalby the 2 most realistic names in the frame - I dont believe Gus Hiddinck and Jose Mouriniio applied for it.

In relation to your comments about U18s making a decision about nationality, why did FIFA change the rules? All I am saying is that these are the rules, let's not manipulate them to cover up any embarrassment on behalf of NI supporters.

DI advised youit was to protect younger players and most likelly lobbying from the african nations Manipulate ?, save any embarrassment to the NI fans - do you understand this topic at all ?
NB has always advocated the NI side should be open to everyone. I believe he has acknowedged that it was misguided of the IFA to drag this all the way to Zurich as it comes agross as particulary petty on their behalf to prevent a handfull of players exercising their choice

Lastly, what's this about the word soccer? You seemingly do not understand that it comes from the term 'Association Football' which was used to distinguish it from 'Rugby Football'. It was good enough a nickname a long time ago and I am happy to continue to use it when I want.

This is a football forum, the clue is in the title, trust me for the vast majortity of posters here football would not be misconstrued as rugby nor Gaelic. It is also a world game.

The Fly
12/03/2012, 7:39 PM
It cant really be put much simplier - I am not Northern Irish (which is a relatively recent phenominum given the first port of call for those of a british tradition was surprise surprise British)

You don't work for UTV by any chance?

The Fly
12/03/2012, 7:41 PM
I'm beginning to think you're not the brightest AB.

Beginning?

The Fly
12/03/2012, 7:52 PM
You have missed my point. I am totally supportive of anyone who supports us, the more the merrier as far as I am concerned. I have also been consistent in the view that players have the right to play for who ever they want and I have expressed this on this thread. What I did find sad was that Newry rejects the IFA as having any relevancy to him. This is not a condemnation of him, but on what I see as a sign of this organisation's ability to be inclusive, and I will continue to argue is the purpose of any national sporting organisation. The GFA acknowledged the uniqueness of the political situation in NI and I think we have seen much bravery by NI politicians.

If you can bear it, I think it would helpful for you to read through the last 30 pages again.

ArdeeBhoy
12/03/2012, 9:12 PM
Beginning?
And??

Not Brazil
12/03/2012, 10:10 PM
Beginning?

I was being polite.;)

ArdeeBhoy
12/03/2012, 11:11 PM
So was I.

Not Brazil
14/03/2012, 10:05 AM
If any of the Derry wans here fancy a change of direction, and a very challenging career move, this might be just the job for you:

http://irishfa.com/the-ifa/jobs-at-the-ifa/

Circa 22k per annum, and a free tin hat provided.

geysir
14/03/2012, 2:41 PM
I refer you to my last post.

People in glass houses and all that.

Plus you're the one looking continually to find pedantic fault with every post or failing to acknowledge your own overt contradictions of which recently there's been many!

You two have a strange relationship, going back years.

Almost as if ....

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/cza0310l.jpg

Predator
14/03/2012, 4:29 PM
If anyone happens to be in Limerick over the next few days, they should go to this: http://www.fai.ie/domestic-a-grassroots/schools-football/102423.html

Interestingly, NISFA's Duffy and Harkin both played for the FAI home-based squad very recently. Another St. Columb's lad, McEneff, who plays for Institute, is said to be quite a player and has been on trial with some Scottish clubs this year.

co. down green
14/03/2012, 7:33 PM
If any of the Derry wans here fancy a change of direction, and a very challenging career move, this might be just the job for you:

http://irishfa.com/the-ifa/jobs-at-the-ifa/

Circa 22k per annum, and a free tin hat provided.

And it's not costing the IFA a penny, yet another outside funded position.

BonnieShels
14/03/2012, 11:29 PM
A thoroughly enjoyable 3 pages lads in my absence.

Gastric, I note you are in Melbourne. Are you living over there or second generation or what?

geysir
15/03/2012, 9:53 AM
And it's not costing the IFA a penny, yet another outside funded position.

Ironic, but it must be a cause of great comfort to you that your tax pennies and pounds are being used (and have been used) to enable the IFA to grow up, move away from the old ways, tackle their own hostility to you and to 'outreach' to all communities equally.

'Since 1998 the IFA has worked in partnership with the Northern Ireland Community Relations Council and Sports Council to tackle the (their own) problems of sectarianism in (the IFA) football, with assistance from the EU Programme for Peace and Reconciliation.'

"The IFA respects and values diversity. They endeavour to provide an environment which values and enables the full involvement of all people, in all aspects and at every level of Northern Ireland football, regardless of perceived cultural identity, political affiliation or religious beliefs. They believe in the philosophy of Football For All”
"The IFA are also committed to delivering comprehensive, relevant and current Community Relations and anti-discrimination training for all their staff and the promotion of community relations and good conduct within their supporter's network."

Not Brazil
15/03/2012, 6:23 PM
Ironic, but it must be a cause of great comfort to you that your tax pennies and pounds are being used (and have been used) to enable the IFA to grow up, move away from the old ways, tackle their own hostility to you and to 'outreach' to all communities equally

What were "the old ways", and in what way were the IFA "hostile" to Co Down Green?

All sporting bodies in Northern Ireland can make grant applications to various bodies - at least one of them being considerably less "cross community" based than the IFA - the IFA has member Clubs representing a broad spectrum of backgrounds, throughout Northern Ireland.

gastric
16/03/2012, 1:29 AM
I respect your views Newryrep.

I'm glad you raised this issue - gastric obviously feels that Northern Nationalists are only playing for the FAI because the big, bad, IFA are cold shouldering them.

I, like you, thought they wanted to play for the FAI because they, as Nationalists, consider the Republic Of Ireland as their country, and therefore the FAI to be their "first choice" Association.

I can understand entirely that gastric's comments could be deemed offensive by some Northern Nationalist players and supporters.

I have spent the last week doing a lot of self reflection on my comments on here. I am certainly out of step with everybody else! And NB, as much as it hurts me to say so you are right, I do owe Newryrep an apology for misrepresenting his rights and his assertion of his nationality. I was incorrect in my assumption. I think too that I have forgotten the complexity and traditions that dominate Irish society. This is not an excuse, just fact.
Having discussed the issue in broad terms with friends over here, I have found that my attitudes are now probably more in tune with Australian principles which has scared me no end.
Australian sporting organisations are very pragmatic and proactive in identifying issues and they tend to tackle them head on. Possibly because there is less history involved, there is less respect for traditions and change can be quite dramatic and involve much upheaval. The inception of the A League is a good example of this. And such action is probably not applicable to an Irish situation.
However, I do have trouble understanding the IFA, and in particular, NB's stance. NI continue to fall in the rankings and much of what he asserts seems to involve upholding the status quo rather than a vision for improvement. I have come to appreciate that the IFA is reactive due to its history and tradition, but it continually frustates me. I am not trying to start a new debate nor am I being in anyway condescending. I am just trying to explain why I feel the way I do and to be honest after the heat and criticism I felt on here, I don't even know if my opinions are valid.

Not Brazil
16/03/2012, 8:00 AM
However, I do have trouble understanding the IFA, and in particular, NB's stance. NI continue to fall in the rankings and much of what he asserts seems to involve upholding the status quo rather than a vision for improvement. I have come to appreciate that the IFA is reactive due to its history and tradition, but it continually frustates me.

Firstly, fair play to you - having the humility to admit that you were wide of the mark and apologise takes guts. I respect you for that.

Can you please clarify what aspects of the IFA's, and in particular my, stance 'frustrates' you?

Of course your opinions are valid.

You accuse me of not having a 'vision for improvement'- whilst I strongly contest your accusation, I would be interested in reading what your 'vision for improvement' would be, as I am more than willing to discuss such issues with those with the best interests of the IFA at heart, and who wish to see the Northern Ireland International sides progress and flourish.

You come across as someone who really wants support the IFA representative sides, but feel you cannot at present - you are certainly very passionate about the IFA improving their lot.

Newryrep
16/03/2012, 12:32 PM
I have spent the last week doing a lot of self reflection on my comments on here. I am certainly out of step with everybody else! And NB, as much as it hurts me to say so you are right, I do owe Newryrep an apology for misrepresenting his rights and his assertion of his nationality. I was incorrect in my assumption. I think too that I have forgotten the complexity and traditions that dominate Irish society. This is not an excuse, just fact.
Having discussed the issue in broad terms with friends over here, I have found that my attitudes are now probably more in tune with Australian principles which has scared me no end.
Australian sporting organisations are very pragmatic and proactive in identifying issues and they tend to tackle them head on. Possibly because there is less history involved, there is less respect for traditions and change can be quite dramatic and involve much upheaval. The inception of the A League is a good example of this. And such action is probably not applicable to an Irish situation.
However, I do have trouble understanding the IFA, and in particular, NB's stance. NI continue to fall in the rankings and much of what he asserts seems to involve upholding the status quo rather than a vision for improvement. I have come to appreciate that the IFA is reactive due to its history and tradition, but it continually frustates me. I am not trying to start a new debate nor am I being in anyway condescending. I am just trying to explain why I feel the way I do and to be honest after the heat and criticism I felt on here, I don't even know if my opinions are valid.

Wasnt looking an apology TBH so fair play that you think I deserve one

NB wants his team to be open to all, while success is desirable I suspect that he (as would I if I were in his position) want his team to exist no matter how unsuccessfull rather than cease to exist merge/be subsummed into a larger entity be it Team GB or and a formal 32 county side

DannyInvincible
16/03/2012, 1:43 PM
Wasnt looking an apology TBH so fair play that you think I deserve one

NB wants his team to be open to all, while success is desirable I suspect that he (as would I if I were in his position) want his team to exist no matter how unsuccessfull rather than cease to exist merge/be subsummed into a larger entity be it Team GB or and a formal 32 county side

You make a good point. Purely for argument's sake, as successful as we might be if the FAI were ever to be subsumed by, say, the Brazilian football association, such would never interest me. Would it interest anyone? Some things are more important than success. I'm happy supporting a squad of perennial nearly-men ranked 19th in the world who make the odd finals every once in a blue moon so long as I can identify with them and they represent me. I'd support them no matter where they were ranked. I would have difficulty supporting them, however, if we were ranked first but part of some Brazilian-Irish composite team. The point of international football isn't purely success.

DannyInvincible
16/03/2012, 1:46 PM

Fair play.

Out of interest, what's your own background?

ArdeeBhoy
18/03/2012, 11:39 AM
NB wants his team to be open to all, while success is desirable I suspect that he (as would I if I were in his position) want his team to exist no matter how unsuccessful rather than cease to exist merge/be subsummed into a larger entity be it Team GB or and a formal 32 county side

Laudable it in itself but really no logical reason why teams like them continue to exist, whilst far more credible regions like the Basque Country, Kashmir, Quebec, Catalonia and Tibet aren't allowed to have their own teams.

What next;The Falklands, St.Helena?

Colbert Report
18/03/2012, 5:00 PM
Laudable it in itself but really no logical reason why teams like them continue to exist, whilst far more credible regions like the Basque Country, Kashmir, Quebec, Catalonia and Tibet aren't allowed to have their own teams.

What next;The Falklands, St.Helena?

Quebec? I don't think you know what you are talking about there brother.