PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155

SolitudeRed
06/05/2018, 11:24 PM
On a related story the IFA insisted on playing the british national anthem prior to the irish cup final between Cliftonville and Coleraine on saturday. I also witnessed a Cliftonville fan having an irish tricolour removed from them on the way in to the ground by security staff, however there were a good few union jacks and 'ulster banners' being waved in the Coleraine end from what I could see. Makes a bit of a nonsense of all this football for all stuff that the IFA come off with.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/05/05/news/cliftonville-fans-slam-ifa-decision-on-god-save-the-queen-at-irish-cup-final-1322470/

CraftyToePoke
06/05/2018, 11:44 PM
Yeah, they don't help themselves do they. Be funny if Paul Smyth was reading it and thinking, y'know what, f~*k ye, I'm off south.

seanfhear
07/05/2018, 7:56 AM
On a related story the IFA insisted on playing the british national anthem prior to the irish cup final between Cliftonville and Coleraine on saturday. I also witnessed a Cliftonville fan having an irish tricolour removed from them on the way in to the ground by security staff, however there were a good few union jacks and 'ulster banners' being waved in the Coleraine end from what I could see. Makes a bit of a nonsense of all this football for all stuff that the IFA come off with.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/05/05/news/cliftonville-fans-slam-ifa-decision-on-god-save-the-queen-at-irish-cup-final-1322470/
Their way or the Highway . I wonder would / should Cliftonville consider playing in the League Of Ireland ?

Mr_Parker
07/05/2018, 5:12 PM

There were plenty of Tricolours at Windsor on Saturday. Are you sure there wasn't something written on it that was the cause of removal?

Mr_Parker
07/05/2018, 5:14 PM
Their way or the Highway . I wonder would / should Cliftonville consider playing in the League Of Ireland ?

Absolutely not. Why should we give in to bigotry.

Though the FAI must be pleased as Saturday will make their job much easier when it comes to player recruitment.

SolitudeRed
07/05/2018, 9:05 PM
There were plenty of Tricolours at Windsor on Saturday. Are you sure there wasn't something written on it that was the cause of removal?

Well I didnt see anything on it but I was a bit behind them and by the time I got closer the security guy had the flag wrapped up into a ball. A friend took a video of it so I will check with them but we assumed it was because the flag wasn't club colours.

http://http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/05/07/news/dup-mla-criticised-after-saying-cliftonville-got-what-they-deserved-for-anthem-protest-1323100/

As expected there has been outrage from the DUP types. I wonder do they get this annoyed when players from a nationalist background bow their heads during the UK anthem when playing for NI. Not really sure what the IFA are playing at like especially given the fact that it wasn't played at the last 2 finals we were in.

Also doubt that FIFA/UEFA would ever allow a switch to the LoI even if the club did ask for it.

Olé Olé
07/05/2018, 9:55 PM

The quotes from your man Bryson are bloody hilarious. Manages to accuse the Nationalists of having a "narrow political agenda" whilst spouting some Grade A narrow-minded bigotry himself. There's a skill involved in that somehow.

Nice to see former Derry gaelic footballer Eoin Bradley was on the scoresheet for Coleraine. I wonder how loud he sang GSTQ.

punkrocket
08/05/2018, 4:11 PM
Bradley's goal was pure GAA, the way he chipped the keeper but that was probably lost on a few down in that corner. He then proceeded to remove his shirt to show off the large celtic cross tattooed between his shoulder blades. The thing is Coleraine's support is fairly mixed not to mention the team, but it's a bit like mixed towns getting bedecked in loyalist flags in the summer regardless of the town's demographics everyone else just shakes their head and get on with it. Fleggers love a fleg.

seanfhear
08/05/2018, 5:41 PM
Fleggers gonna fleg........

Olé Olé
20/05/2018, 7:24 PM
Keown and Scannell to NI? Looking like it: https://www.balls.ie/amp/football/sean-scannell-northern-ireland-389351

Quotes from the poacher O'Neill here: https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/huddersfield-town-winger-sean-scannell-14680201

OMTY
29/05/2018, 9:06 AM
Question for the experts here.

Following a discussion with a few friends I was wondering if a granny qualified Irish player has a son born in England are they a)entitled to an Irish passport and b) entitled to play for Ireland? Seeing as how they would technically be 3 generations removed from anyone born here.

Olé Olé
29/05/2018, 10:38 AM
I'll bow to someone who can tell me to the contrary, but I think the answer is no. As you say, they wouldn't have an Irish grandparent born here and so wouldn't qualify for the passport. I remember Danny Invincible citing Aiden McGeady once as having said he considered having his children born in Ireland as they don't qualify for an Irish passport because their father qualified through his grandparents.

osarusan
29/05/2018, 12:20 PM
Question for the experts here.

Following a discussion with a few friends I was wondering if a granny qualified Irish player has a son born in England are they a)entitled to an Irish passport and b) entitled to play for Ireland? Seeing as how they would technically be 3 generations removed from anyone born here.

If the granny-qualified player becomes an Irish citizen before he has a son, then yes, the son is entitled to an Irish passport (and, as I understand it, all descendants in perpetuity are similarly entitled to it, as long as they keep availing of their citizenship before they have their kids).

See Type E here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

But I don't think he would be eligible for the Irish team on that basis alone.

osarusan
29/05/2018, 12:24 PM
I'll bow to someone who can tell me to the contrary, but I think the answer is no. As you say, they wouldn't have an Irish grandparent born here and so wouldn't qualify for the passport. I remember Danny Invincible citing Aiden McGeady once as having said he considered having his children born in Ireland as they don't qualify for an Irish passport because their father qualified through his grandparents.

Qualifying for the passport would be a citizenship issue, not an eligibility issue.

Olé Olé
14/06/2018, 4:07 PM
Think i did this for the Algeria squad at the last World Cup but had a look at the Morocco squad there- per Wikipedia, only 6 of their 23-man squad were born in Morocco. 8 were born in France and 5 in the Netherlands. Spain, Belgium and Canada make up the remainder. Interesting.

tetsujin1979
14/06/2018, 4:13 PM
noticed this earlier, Leyton Orient signed Letterkenny born Dale Gorman. However, he's playing for Northern Ireland U21s, having also played for their U17 and U19 sides. Can't find how he qualifies for the North, although presumably through parentage.

Olé Olé
14/06/2018, 5:07 PM
noticed this earlier, Leyton Orient signed Letterkenny born Dale Gorman. However, he's playing for Northern Ireland U21s, having also played for their U17 and U19 sides. Can't find how he qualifies for the North, although presumably through parentage.

Someone got to the bottom of that a while ago on here. His father, anyways, is former Finn Harps player and manager Anthony Gorman, who I think is a Donegal man himself. He played a few seasons for Irish Leagues clubs so may have married a woman in that area. Dale went to secondary school in Derry and played for NI schools which is how he progressed into the NI underage side, from my recollection

Blue Lou
06/07/2018, 2:56 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44736780

Fifa's nationality rules
Footballers who have played a competitive international for one team cannot switch to another national side.
But this rule has been relaxed to allow footballers to change nationality from junior to senior level.
Friendlies are not binding - so Diego Costa was able to switch to Spain after playing friendlies for Brazil, as did Belgium's Nacer Chadli after a Morocco friendly.
Players with no blood connection to a country are only allowed to represent it if they have lived and played there for five years.
But this is different for refugees, who can play upon receiving citizenship without having to wait to wait five years.

The emboldened bit isn't true, is it?

geysir
07/07/2018, 9:48 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44736780

Players with no blood connection to a country are only allowed to represent it if they have lived and played there for five years.
But this is different for refugees, who can play upon receiving citizenship without having to wait to wait five years.

The emboldened bit isn't true, is it?
In general that statement has a (moral) veracity because the refugee has lost the citizenship of the birth country possibly due to illegitimate actions on behalf of the birth country or possibly for some other outstanding compelling reasons the person has had to exit the birth country. The player is stateless because of circumstances beyond his/her control. As soon as the refugee (footballer) satisfies the adopted country's citizenship rules, then FIFA are also satisfied. Offhand though, 5 years sounds a regular period of residence unless a citizenship application is fast forwarded with political intervention.
If citizenship was granted within a 5 year period, FIFA would require paperwork evidence of refugee status in order to be satisfied, like any decent bureaucracy. I don't see anything out of the ordinary with this, the world's social infrastructure is in a state of constant flus and FIFA try to keep up with protecting the sporting civil rights of the player. FIFA ain't all bad. The rules of eligibility go a long way to supporting the footballers right to play international football.

nigel-harps1954
12/07/2018, 11:59 AM
Isn't that how Xherdan Shaqiri plays with Switzerland? He's actually from Kosovo with no blood connection to Switzerland.

pineapple stu
12/07/2018, 12:01 PM
He's living there since the age of 1 though. He'd have residency long ago

nigel-harps1954
12/07/2018, 12:19 PM
He's living there since the age of 1 though. He'd have residency long ago

Fair point that.

Olé Olé
24/07/2018, 7:58 PM
Michael Duffy was just on Off the Ball and asked what international side he wanted to play for. He said he would refuse neither O'Neill "but if I had to choose, I'd play for the Republic."

Olé Olé
28/08/2018, 7:26 PM
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/former-northern-ireland-u21-international-michael-duffy-set-for-republic-switch-as-martin-oneill-confirms-interest-37255968.html

This all got lost in the Rice drama yesterday but O'Neill has very clearly confirmed that he's hoping to bring Michael Duffy into the Ireland fold. Positive new that. He could have a good career ahead of him. It's also positive that O'Neill isn't afraid to approach a person born in the six counties, although Duffy has clearly stated he'd play for either but Ireland would be his preference.

DeLorean
29/08/2018, 9:01 AM
Fair point that.

Positive news that.

I can only read this kind of lingo in an English accent. :)

liamoo11
07/09/2018, 8:38 PM
Lads Can anyone explain how okoflex is english eligible? My Understanding was It was because he was in School there From 11 to 16 but is that rule Is just a home nations rule ? Thanks

Charlie Darwin
08/09/2018, 12:24 AM
Lads Can anyone explain how okoflex is english eligible? My Understanding was It was because he was in School there From 11 to 16 but is that rule Is just a home nations rule ? Thanks
It's not a rule for, I suspect, good reason. The rule is five years continuous residency over the age of 18. FIFA make exceptions in the cases of children who were born in one country and grew up in another who don't have nationality through their parents on a case-by-case, but it's not in the rule book itself.

liamoo11
08/09/2018, 11:38 AM
It's not a rule for, I suspect, good reason. The rule is five years continuous residency over the age of 18. FIFA make exceptions in the cases of children who were born in one country and grew up in another who don't have nationality through their parents on a case-by-case, but it's not in the rule book itself.

thanks Charles. So how Is He eligible for them So? It must be a Parenthood on grandparent?

cestlavie
08/09/2018, 4:01 PM
Someone got to the bottom of that a while ago on here. His father, anyways, is former Finn Harps player and manager Anthony Gorman, who I think is a Donegal man himself. He played a few seasons for Irish Leagues clubs so may have married a woman in that area. Dale went to secondary school in Derry and played for NI schools which is how he progressed into the NI underage side, from my recollection

Think, I clarified this before.

Dale Gorman, was born in Altnagalvin Hospital in Derry, but he has always lived and went to school in Letterkenny, Co. Donegal. His mother and father are also from Donegal. He played for Donegal Schoolboys in all the national competitions. He captained the Northern Ireland U21 team on Thursday.

Olé Olé
08/09/2018, 5:22 PM
Think, I clarified this before.

Dale Gorman, was born in Altnagalvin Hospital in Derry, but he has always lived and went to school in Letterkenny, Co. Donegal. His mother and father are also from Donegal. He played for Donegal Schoolboys in all the national competitions. He captained the Northern Ireland U21 team on Thursday.

That is fair madness. How in the name of God does he see fit to still line out for them? Wouldn't he have been picked for our under 21 side?

cestlavie
08/09/2018, 5:47 PM
That is fair madness. How in the name of God does he see fit to still line out for them? Wouldn't he have been picked for our under 21 side?

He was never picked by the Republic at underage level and so Northern Ireland called him up for I think it was for the Centenary Shield and they have picked him at all levels since. I'm sure he would have jumped at the chance to represent the Republic at the time. Michael O'Neill highly rates him and if it wasnt for injury he would have more than likely have went with the senior squad on their trip to South America earlier in the summer. Northern Ireland have been loyal to him and he has been loyal to the Northern Ireland set up. They are giving boys from their underage set up the chance to step up to the seniors. They have too. I know he played with Michael Duffy and it now looks like he is switching allegiance. Thats his choice. His dad is from Donegal too just like Shane Duffy. I do think that the Anthem is off putting to many of the players as they have no loyalty to somebody elses Anthem. They should get their own just like Scotland and Wales. I shouldnt be giving them good advice, lol.

The youth set up in the Republic was pretty much a joke under Packie Bonner and many potential players of the future were not looked after or developed properly. We can see that with the dearth of talent coming through. The new league of Ireland youth structure are a step in the rite direction as it is very difficult to make it overseas now and many potential players of the future for Ireland are wasting their time playing in the under 23 set up in England etc. Players are more likely to develop playing in the lower leagues or in league of Ireland clubs much better. Real football/Mens football.

Gather round
10/09/2018, 9:11 AM
I do think that the Anthem is off putting to many of the players as they have no loyalty to somebody elses Anthem. They should get their own just like Scotland and Wales. I shouldnt be giving them good advice, lol

Thanks for the advice (which I've always agreed with) ;)

Aren't you just wishing/ hoping that players like Gorman think like you? Listening to GSTQ for 30 seconds before each game may not be that big a deal to them

Olé Olé
10/09/2018, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the advice (which I've always agreed with) ;)

Aren't you just wishing/ hoping that players like Gorman think like you? Listening to GSTQ for 30 seconds before each game may not be that big a deal to them

Probably doesn't bother much really given that it's less contentious for him as he's from Donegal, not any of the 6 counties.

ArdeeBhoy
10/09/2018, 11:33 AM
Except it clearly is to many, both potential fans and er, players...

And that's just some English people I know!!

Olé Olé
10/09/2018, 2:47 PM
Except it clearly is to many, both potential fans and er, players...

And that's just some English people I know!!

I agree it is contentious to many. I'm commenting more on GR's use of the Gorman as an example. He's in a very unique situation as he has agreed to play for NI despite having little tangible link to NI or the identity. He knew what he was signing up for so I don't think he would be in a position to get upset over the anthem.

ArdeeBhoy
10/09/2018, 3:25 PM
My reply was actually to the Great Rotund one, talking rubbish as usual.

Gather round
10/09/2018, 3:56 PM
I agree it is contentious to many. I'm commenting more on GR's use of the Gorman as an example. He's in a very unique situation as he has agreed to play for NI despite having little tangible link to NI or the identity. He knew what he was signing up for so I don't think he would be in a position to get upset over the anthem

I mentioned Gorman only in response to your previous point. Of course you're right, guys are more likely to move South from Derry than North from Donegal. He's eligible, we picked him. That's tangible enough for me.

We can argue ad nauseam about how many NI players are upset about GSTQ and to what extent. I'm suggesting simply that if they were that bothered they wouldn't be NI players (or in my own case, fans).

Not much comment from AB on the current affairs section. Has foot.ie joined your impressive portfolio of social media bans?

tetsujin1979
10/09/2018, 4:17 PM
My reply was actually to the Great Rotund one, talking rubbish as usual.
You know the rules AB, attack the post, not the poster.

cestlavie
10/09/2018, 7:43 PM
If we had an All Ireland team (like in all other sports) we wouldnt be having this discussion. Cant see Boyce or Delaney giving up those UEFA perks. Them boys do like the goodtimes.

N. Ireland using GSTQ is a little sad TBH. For boys who just want to play football the Anthem wont put them all off but it certainly does not feel natural to them I'd say.

Gather round
10/09/2018, 9:08 PM
If we had an All Ireland team (like in all other sports) we wouldnt be having this discussion

You have an AI team in this sport. You're daydreaming about a different team disappearing. Not happening short term

Cant see Boyce or Delaney giving up those UEFA perks. Them boys do like the goodtimes

Nowt to do with either of them. There's a NI team because fans want. Not to provide a gravy train (most football admin is done for basic expenses at most btw)

N. Ireland using GSTQ is a little sad TBH

Fine just ignore it, or pick your own dirge about fighting foreigners

For boys who just want to play football the Anthem wont put them all off but it certainly does not feel natural to them I'd say.

You can't be sure how natural they think it is. You are just assuming others share your bias

ArdeeBhoy
10/09/2018, 9:27 PM
You know the rules AB, attack the post, not the poster.

Except I've known GR for longer than some of your posters have been alive. As in 32 years.

Were you to meet him in person he would admit his 'Modus operandi' is to wind us (insert rude word about Irish people) as much as he can get away with...

Which is what he's doing here. Rehashing 'points' he's made hundreds of times before, in the hope of antagonising a response.

As ever he and apologists for him are indulging in #DoubleStandards.

The truth hurts, occasionally.

Gather round
10/09/2018, 9:53 PM
I think I've pulled ;)

Charlie Darwin
11/09/2018, 12:58 AM
*unsubscribe*

tetsujin1979
11/09/2018, 8:45 AM
Except I've known GR for longer than some of your posters have been alive. As in 32 years.

Were you to meet him in person he would admit his 'Modus operandi' is to wind us (insert rude word about Irish people) as much as he can get away with...

Which is what he's doing here. Rehashing 'points' he's made hundreds of times before, in the hope of antagonising a response.

As ever he and apologists for him are indulging in #DoubleStandards.

The truth hurts, occasionally.fair enough then, I can only go on what I see on the forum

ArdeeBhoy
11/09/2018, 9:51 AM
No problem. He's old enough to know better though.

As for having 'pulled', in his case, excess PUDD is a million times more likely.

Gather round
11/09/2018, 2:03 PM
I'm genuinely touched by AB's fascination with my occasional posts on here :D

My 'modus operandi' is- as it always has been- to defend the modest record of NI and its football team. I almost always post in direct response to others, so hardly a constant wind-up. I'm one of a handful of NI fans here and couldn't distract the hundreds of your fans on the site even if I wanted to (I don't).

AB is right that the same points recur over and again (from many regular posters). Such as

* the NI team endures mainly to provide 'blazers' with junkets, rather than for its thousands of supporters

* anyone who is or might be from Nationalist background playing for it is at least bizarre, if not dishonest/ disloyal

* why would any fan of another team want to come on this forum? etc etc

In the most recent exchange, I suggested merely that a couple of other posters couldn't really speak authoritatively for various NI players' motives. I judge the players only by what they do, ie play. You'd have to be very over-sensitive to see that as a wind-up.

Good luck in Wroclaw btw

ArdeeBhoy
11/09/2018, 2:16 PM
Hmm, revisionism of the highest order.
:rolleyes:

That and I know your real views, as do numerous mutual acquaintances. But no longer on here.

Gather round
11/09/2018, 2:20 PM
That's right, I killed and ate them.

You really are a tiresome troll.

ArdeeBhoy
11/09/2018, 2:24 PM
:yawn:

Hypocrisy much...

liamoo11
29/12/2018, 6:41 PM
http://www.punditarena.com/football/nmenezes/fifteen-granny-rule-prospects-mick-mccarthy-recruit/ this State's that mcguane can still play for us despite playing for us and England competitively underage.That is incorrect isn't it? Also puts forward Sean Morrison again??!!