PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 10:59 AM
Similarly, we saw the 4 or 5 Northern Ireland underage players that tweeted their support for Ireland during and after the Estonia play-off. A clear statement of who they identified themselves with, even if they are currently unwilling to or unable to switch playing allegiances.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the South's underage players tweet their support for England next summer.

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 11:03 AM
Maybe, but their passport is the same as mine. They have no British passport or ID (maybe an NHS medical no?), they are residents nothing more.

Once again, you confuse holding a Passport with Citizenship.

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 11:05 AM
Actually none of them are British 'citizens', otherwise they couldn't play for Ireland, FFS!!

Deary me.:rolleyes:

DannyInvincible
09/12/2011, 11:06 AM
I'm afraid they're right, AB. British citizenship is acquired automatically by those born to other British citizens and those legally-settled in the UK. Possession of a passport would just be a form of proof of citizenship, but is by no means a pre-requisite in order for a British citizen to be considered a British citizen. (If I happened to lose my passport for a week tomorrow, I'd be dismayed to hear that my Irish citizenship was to be revoked for that week, but, of course, that isn't the case.) British citizenship can only be renounced by a declaration to the British Home Secretary.

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 11:10 AM
It must also be pointed out, in case anyone needs reminding, that GSTQ has no official status as a Northern Ireland anthem and is played before NI's international matches because the IFA elect to do so. Therefore, strictly speaking, it is used as a sporting anthem.

Not quite right The Fly.

The "official" National Anthem of the United Kingdom & Northern Ireland is God Save The Queen.

Unlike Scotland and Wales, we don't have an uniquely Northern Irish Anthem used at sporting fixtures.

greendeiseboy
09/12/2011, 11:14 AM
It'll be interesting to see if any of the South's underage players tweet their support for England next summer.

Kane Ferdinands Facebook page backs that up!

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 11:18 AM
Ok, well no-one has ever offered my sisters born in the North any type of 'British' citizenship, nor would I ever expect them to.
Though it might well be their entitlement should they wish.

:D

Unless your skin blisters were born in Donegal, I've bad news for them.

ArdeeBhoy
09/12/2011, 11:24 AM
So, to cut to the chase, you have no statistics to back up your previous assertion.

Nor your own to disprove it...
;)

ArdeeBhoy
09/12/2011, 11:30 AM
I'm afraid they're right, AB. British citizenship is acquired automatically by those born to other British citizens and those legally-settled in the UK. Possession of a passport would just be a form of proof of citizenship, but is by no means a pre-requisite in order for a British citizen to be considered a British citizen. (If I happened to lose my passport for a week tomorrow, I'd be dismayed to hear that my Irish citizenship was to be revoked for that week, but, of course, that isn't the case.) British citizenship can only be renounced by a declaration to the British Home Secretary.

Accept what you say, so that makes all EU citizens there, Brits by default? As they are 'legally settled'.

And the British have made it very difficult for some of their citizens to be such eg.staying in the country, especially if their parents weren't born there.
Or are non-white, or both.

DannyInvincible
09/12/2011, 11:31 AM
I don't think "regional" defines my Irishness, which is not "a sense of..." - it's a fact.

I hadn't made a conscious attempt to demean it, as John Hewitt might have said. :)

If anything, I was specifically intending to remain open to your profession; it was implicit recognition of your view in the sense that I have a personal idea of what it is to be Irish whilst I was acknowledging that you also have a personal idea of what it is to be Irish. Neither need be construed as myths simply because I failed to describe them both as "factual" or whatever. We all have different senses of what it means to be Irish; whether some are closer to some quasi-objective sense of Irishness is what is up for debate, I suppose. If I come across as being restrictive, it's more likely because I believe there to be some traits that are inherently incompatible with a quasi-objective form of Irishness I believe to exist rather than intentionally setting out to offend or insult. Our personal notions may exhibit differences but I don't think I set your identity on a pedestal below my own sense, or I didn't intend to "rank" them at least; I was merely trying to explore their exact nature and differentiate if needs required rather than rank. Likewise, when I use the word "sense" below, it's not part of a mindful attempt to invalidate your Irish identity or doubt its veracity. I thought it as good a word as any to describe what I see to be a different type/brand/idea/variety/whatever of Irishness from my own type/brand/idea/variety/whatever.

Are we in agreement that the two are probably quite distinct though or do you interpret my sense of Irishness as being one and the same as yours? If you acknowledge they are distinct by definition, then what terminology, if any, should we use to describe them respectively in recognition of the distinction? I'd refer to what I perceive to be your version as "Northern Irish", "British Irish" (as a singular entity separate from British alone rather than the dual/plural one individuals like Sean St. Ledger exemplified above possess) or maybe even the "Ulster(-Scots?) nation" to throw out a few terms for sake of distinction, but I have a feeling you'd object to that and re-assert that the aspect of your identity which we are discussing is simply Irish and nothing else. I have difficulty, however, reconciling as one what I see to be two exclusive identities, just as French or German cannot be also be Irish.

As part of some research I undertook recently for something I wrote on the roles that landscape and gender played in the formation of Irish national identity since the Irish state's independence, I happened to read an essay, 'Landscape, Space and Gender: Their Role in the Construction of Female Identity in Newly Independent Ireland', by Síghle Bhreathnach-Lynch (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=landscape%2C%20space%20and%20gender%3A%20their%2 0role%20in%20the%20construction%20of%20female%20id entity%20in%20newly%20independent%20ireland%E2%80% 99&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCsQFjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpi.library.yorku.ca%2Fojs%2Finde x.php%2Fcws%2Farticle%2Fdownload%2F8831%2F8008&ei=qcvgTsvcN8LN8QO1wKjYBA&usg=AFQjCNHQGeM59Sri6iUkIZh2HUnGeTJq2A). I thought it was quite interesting and somewhat relevant to this discussion, funnily enough. In brief, she wrote of how the Irish state projected a new and distinct sense of Irishness in order to emphasise an identity very much unique from that of Britain, its former ruler. Thus, Ireland was portrayed as "a bleak but beautiful countryside, peopled exclusively by a sturdy, Gaelic-speaking, Catholic people" and such a projection acted to provide an identity that was "instantly recognizably different from that of its former ruler Britain, which was perceived as urban, English-speaking and Protestant". Modern Irish identity - that channelled through the Irish state - is obviously rooted in the political history of Irish nationalism which sought to separate and distinguish Irishness from its former British umbrella. I suppose my own idea of what it is to be Irish is inevitably wrapped up in such a projection due to my cultural background and cues, although I still maintain it as primarily civic in nature rather than "ethnic"; my Catholicism has long since lapsed into an agnostic atheism, for example, and whilst I'd love to speak the Irish language with the fluency my mother exhibits, I don't believe that only Gaels are fit to be referred to as Irish. Your contrasting version stems from a seemingly-essential link with Britishness (not to suggest it's necessarily out-dated or obsolete either given the fact that part of the island still remains a part of the United Kingdom). I guess both are products of an Irish political reality whilst simultaneously helping to reinforce or bolster certain political ends.

As an aside, I do wonder if it's possible to have a nationality/national identity entirely free of any "ethnic" considerations, however? Most modern Western states purport to espouse a form of civic nationalism but if you take a look at their respective nationality laws, you will note that they do have to invoke limitations at some point which are fundamentally based on what you might called "ethnic" considerations. Not everyone born in France or the UK, for example, can declare themselves British or French by virtue of that simple fact; they must also satisfy other criteria rooted in a more ethnic sense of what it constitutes to be a national.

"We add to the glory of being British, the distinction of being Irish" - to quote David Trimble, paraphrasing Emerson Tennant.

To me, it seems that the "distinction" of being Irish in such a context positions it as a subordinate or ancillary identity, not that that necessarily makes it non-Irish, but it is a distinction under the British umbrella. Can this sense of Irishness ever be separated from its seemingly-inherent Britishness? Is it malleable in that sense or would extracting it from its British overcoat make it something else entirely and no longer the identity with which you identify? Is it a sense of Irishness that could ever be reconcilable with the idea of a united Ireland independent from Britain/an Irishness completely independent of Britishness, I suppose is what I'm getting at?

As John Hewitt wrote:

"I am a Belfast man, I am an Ulster man, I am British and I am Irish, and those last two are interchangeable, and I am European and anyone who demeans any one part of me demeans me as a person".

Which Ulster would that be though? :p

DannyInvincible
09/12/2011, 11:43 AM
Accept what you say, so that makes all EU citizens there, Brits by default? As they are 'legally settled'.

Yeah, well, the children of those legally settled there. By law, I have a feeling I'm a British citizen myself, although I was never aware of that until relatively recently. I've yet to follow it up and claim the passport, God forbid! :p

DannyInvincible
09/12/2011, 11:55 AM
However, my understanding is that Irish Nationalists wish to see the island of Ireland "united".

Correct.

On that basis, I'd have thought that true Irish Nationalists would abide with a desire "to cherish all the children of the nation".

This would be the case, but the Protestant/unionist community has generally professed, even violently (albeit more so in the past), to be of a completely different nation despite how certain nationalist commentators might try to convince them otherwise: something along the lines of them essentially being duped Irishmen who've suffered manipulation at the hands of Britain and its interests; that the likes of Wolfe Tone were as proud and worthy Irishmen is any "native". That's met with staunch rebuke/accusations of condescension, however, so I'm not sure where that leaves them as regards being apparent children of the Irish nation. They don't really want to be part of it, or the non-British construction of it at least.

Does that mean that Irish Nationals will only cherish me if I forego my British & Irish identity? - something that Irish Nationalists need to come to terms with, regardless of the Constitutional position on the island. Even in the event of a singular State on the island, British identity, expressed by Citizenship etc, will continue for generations of people born on the island - as per the Good Friday Agreement.

Can Irish Nationalists not embrace my Britishness, whilst celebrating my Irishness?

I have no problem embracing your Britishness, and I think I can come to terms with your British Irishness (as a singular identity distinct from the dual one), but when you refer to that as simply Irish, that's what I have difficulty with. As I see it, you can be British Irish, British and Irish, if you can see the difference to which I'm alluding? Possibly it's just an issue of semantics. Anyway, I'm just throwing thoughts out and giving myself a headache in the process; don't interpret it as me telling you what you are or what you are not.

I thought Irish Nationalists would at least have a soft spot for all people of the island of Ireland.

Ideally, but I guess other inhabitants opposing the interests of Irish nationalism and the native Catholic population with violence and subordination over centuries along with the calculated playing up of religious differences by those in control put a bit of an irreparable spanner in the works. Conflicting interests, in-group bias and all that...

Northern Ireland fans aren't interested in what Anthem the ROI use.

By and large, that's a fair statement, although I have encountered the odd idiot who, for some reason, responds to the prospect of the IFA changing the NI anthem with typical whataboutery: "Why do we have to change our anthem? You don't hear of the FAI having to change their anthem!" (See the recent discussion on BBC Radio Ulster about the anthem issue, for example.) It is merely a diversion tactic, mind, so probably not worth attributing a huge deal of significance to such opinions, in fairness.

In my opinion the ROI team has always been a nationalist team with nationalist fans and nationalist players and a few British Citizens who realise they are not good enough to represent England and thus choose the ROI to further their club career prospects.

I always liked the one (not sure how true it is) about Kevin Kilbane turning up to an England training camp in an Ireland jersey and telling them where to go. :)

ArdeeBhoy
09/12/2011, 12:14 PM
By law, I have a feeling I'm a British citizen myself, although I was never aware of that until relatively recently. I've yet to follow it up and claim the passport, God forbid! :p

Never mind that.

I feel a mass letter-writing campaign should be instigated from Irish citizens in the North asking the Brit Home secretary, is it Teresa May, to revoke their British citizenship.

And elsewhere for that matter.

DannyInvincible
09/12/2011, 12:28 PM
Never mind that.

I feel a mass letter-writing campaign should be instigated from Irish citizens in the North asking the Brit Home secretary, is it Teresa May, to revoke their British citizenship.

And elsewhere for that matter.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/form_rn.pdf

Just remember to use a black pen and block capitals. ;)

ArdeeBhoy
09/12/2011, 12:36 PM
Let's just say some people I know will be receiving shortly...
;)

The Fly
09/12/2011, 12:37 PM
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/form_rn.pdf

Just remember to use a black pen and block capitals.

...and a spelling and grammar check. ;)

ArdeeBhoy
09/12/2011, 12:38 PM
Unlike Scotland and Wales, we don't have an uniquely Northern Irish Anthem used at sporting fixtures.

Not a 'sporting fixture' maybe, but "Danny Boy" at the Commonwealth Games?

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 12:41 PM
Let's just say some people I know will be receiving shortly...
;)

Make sure they are aware of the consequences of renouncing their British Citizenship.

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 12:43 PM
Not a 'sporting fixture' maybe, but "Danny Boy" at the Commonwealth Games?

Correct - "Danny Boy" is not, however, an "official" National Anthem of Northern Ireland.

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 12:45 PM

Please instigate this.:D

You'd wonder why those smart cookies in PSF haven't thought of this.

Perhaps there are reasons why they don't.:D

I wonder what they could be?

The Fly
09/12/2011, 12:55 PM
You'd wonder why those smart cookies in PSF haven't thought of this.
?

French Toasht, prepare yourself for the possibility of pages upon pages of those circular arguments. http://foot.ie/images/smilies/wink.gif

Perhaps there are reasons why they don't.:D

I wonder what they could be?

Most people are unaware of it in any case.

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 1:12 PM
DannyInvincible,

Some interesting points from you on identity up the thread - I'll get back to you with my thoughts on the issues you raise.

Should we move that discussion to the "Indentity" thread which exists elsewhere on the forum?

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 1:15 PM
Most people are unaware of it in any case.

PSF would be well aware of Citizenship Laws.

ArdeeBhoy
09/12/2011, 1:23 PM
PSF??
Who they?

Gather round
09/12/2011, 1:38 PM
PSF??
Who they?

PSF = Predictably Savvy Fenians.

I'm afraid I can't answer the question above about what rough proportion of NI youth players kick with which foot. It's more of a worry that their senior colleagues can't use either very well...

ArdeeBhoy
09/12/2011, 1:50 PM
Heh, for once your answer makes more sense Great Rotundo...
:rolleyes:

Gather round
09/12/2011, 2:03 PM
No problem, Brit Boy. Always glad to help :eek:

The Fly
09/12/2011, 2:06 PM
PSF would be well aware of Citizenship Laws.

I realise that. I was referring more to the general population.

Closed Account
09/12/2011, 2:11 PM
Yeah, well, the children of those legally settled there. By law, I have a feeling I'm a British citizen myself, although I was never aware of that until relatively recently. I've yet to follow it up and claim the passport, God forbid! :pYeah, reading up on it, by law I think I'm entitled to be a British Citizen also, my mother being born whilst on Holiday in England and me being born after 1/1/83. Must give Capello a call because Trapattoni hasn't answered any of my texts.

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 2:17 PM
I realise that. I was referring more to the general population.

I'm suggesting that if there were any "benefits"/mileage in Northern Irish Nationalists/Republicans denouncing their British Citizenship, PSF would certainly have made their constituency aware of it.

The Fly
09/12/2011, 2:20 PM
I'm suggesting that if there were any "benefits"/mileage in Northern Irish Nationalists/Republicans denouncing their British Citizenship, PSF would certainly have made their constituency aware of it.

I realise that also. ;)

ArdeeBhoy
09/12/2011, 2:33 PM
No problem, Brit Boy. Always glad to help :eek:

Please don't confuse most on here with your rank standards of geography.
And buy an atlas!

Not Brazil
09/12/2011, 3:55 PM
I realise that also. ;)

I knew you would.

I think we're on the same page.:D

AB's "campaign" will be fun.;)

Sullivinho
09/12/2011, 4:02 PM
Yeah, reading up on it, by law I think I'm entitled to be a British Citizen also, my mother being born whilst on Holiday in England and me being born after 1/1/83. Must give Capello a call because Trapattoni hasn't answered any of my texts.

An unidentified acquaintance who met a neighbor of someone who went to school with Marco Tardelli in Careggine told a friend of mine, who relayed it via a third party to me, that Trap considers you a liability. Compared you to Tolkien whilst extolling the virtues of training manuals or something abstract like that. His words lacked clarity but his gestures were unquestionably disparaging. Wasn't too fond of your Brazilian pseudonym either apparently. I put my own lack of international recognition down to the same snafu, despite my claims of putting the dung in Dunga.

Mr_Parker
09/12/2011, 6:57 PM
Why not ask the same question for the next 10 Linfield/North games??

They only do surveys with those two sets of fans when they are seeking the views of a broad spectum of football followers. :)

ArdeeBhoy
09/12/2011, 9:14 PM
Make sure they are aware of the consequences of renouncing their British Citizenship.
Like what exactly?

I knew you would.

I think we're on the same page.

AB's "campaign" will be fun.

You are trying to extract some kudos from The Fly agreeing with you perhaps?
:rolleyes:
And am no longer in the North, so I won't be leading any "campaign".

I will however be informing numerous people who're Brit 'citizens' by default. What they do however, is up to them.

BonnieShels
09/12/2011, 11:02 PM
No matter how many times I peruse this thread the circularity of the argument and in fact the circularity of the topics always makes me rejoice in the fact that even forgiving which flavour of Irish we all may profess to enjoy I am proud that we all manage to practice the uniquely Irish trait of "talking boll0x".

Take a bow/curtsey.

DannyInvincible
11/12/2011, 7:45 PM
By any chance, would anyone have a scan of Armstrong's column in today's Sunday Life?

Mr_Parker
12/12/2011, 12:11 AM
By any chance, would anyone have a scan of Armstrong's column in today's Sunday Life?

Remind me tomorrow. It will give you a good laugh if nothing else. Embarrassing stuff.

bwagner
12/12/2011, 12:29 PM
Armstrong again name checking kids at english clubs like he is so in the know, he mentions Danny Devine and Adam Barton - both who have opted for us. Its so cringy the stuff he writes. then he mentions some london born lad thats with some non league club and that he has opted for northern ireland - big catch there Gerry

geysir
12/12/2011, 5:41 PM
Yeah, well, the children of those legally settled there. By law, I have a feeling I'm a British citizen myself, although I was never aware of that until relatively recently. I've yet to follow it up and claim the passport, God forbid! :p

If you are abroad and have need of some "consulate assistance" and the British consul is the only one around, you don't need a UK passport to avail.
It's like FIFA, you can play for the NI version of UK, just by flashing your ROI passport with NI birthplace..

Anyway, I don't see any point for an Irish national to renounce British citizenship.
Once I was a British citizen for a day, a 24 hour honoury "citizenship" that cost about £20 for the day- cheaper than renting a Fiat Cinquecento. I just needed a document to travel and they obliged.

Mr_Parker
12/12/2011, 7:42 PM

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Mr_Parker2009/scan0099.jpg

BonnieShels
12/12/2011, 8:47 PM
That diary smacks of being "Unionistified".
Roman Catholic, THE National Anthem... oh and the whole, "I visited a Catholic School and they were glad of my presence" schtick.

The logic that those who would have supported the IFA's representative team through thick and thin would stop supporting them if a different dirge that is less offensive to the "other half" is astounding. The guy is certifiable.

Charlie Darwin
12/12/2011, 9:00 PM
I don't really see much wrong with that - it's more or less what NB and GR have been saying. The article could use some proofing but that's the editor's job, not his.

BonnieShels
12/12/2011, 9:09 PM
Ah Charlie. One of those Egg Council creeps got to you as well...

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo293/SimpleContrarian/YOUBETTERRUNEGG.jpg

You better run egg!

http://18.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ksqkhdKZ4e1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

Charlie Darwin
12/12/2011, 9:16 PM
Shake harder, boy!

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1057743/shake-harder-boy-o.gif

ArdeeBhoy
12/12/2011, 10:40 PM
To be fair to Agent Gerry, it's better he wrote that article than one or two people of my acquaintance...

geysir
12/12/2011, 11:38 PM
It looks to me that Gerry thinks it's not worth the hassle to alter GSTQ's supreme status as the sole pre-match anthem.
The IFA breath a sigh of relief.

boovidge
13/12/2011, 1:21 AM
Someone alert the FAI about that Eastleigh player :D

ArdeeBhoy
13/12/2011, 1:29 AM
Hmm, with that name it might not be the coup you imagine...