PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility Rules, Okay

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 [155]

tetsujin1979
21/10/2021, 10:44 PM
And in Preston?

tetsujin1979
24/10/2021, 12:27 PM
Darragh Burns in the process of switching allegiance from the north
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/old-school-burns-a-breath-of-fresh-air-40978407.html

TonyD
24/10/2021, 12:34 PM
Darragh Burns in the process of switching allegiance from the north
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/old-school-burns-a-breath-of-fresh-air-40978407.html

Great news. He’s a serious talent, as he showed again on Friday night. Looking forward to seeing him in the Cup Final on the Aviva pitch. No reason why he can’t go on to become a senior international. Sadly that will probably only happen if he leaves Pats to go across the water. Just hoping we can hang onto him for a while longer.

TonyD
24/10/2021, 12:42 PM
I think there have been quite a few 2nd generation players who have had a real affinity with Ireland starting with the likes of Shay Brennan and Charley Gallagher. Kilbane would be the outstanding example, but there are many more Walters, Aldridge, Sheedy, Carsley etc who were clearly not playing for us for opportunistic reasons. There have been a few mercenaries along the way too. The worrying thing is that we have missed out on so many 2nd G players of late for reasons that have more to with career prospects than identity or affinity. Playing for England has a massive income generating potential, and the prospect of almost automatic qualification for tournaments. It’s probably not a coincidence that we attracted more 2nd and 3rd G players when we had a better team and got to finals.

I wasn’t really doubting any of that, especially in the case of Kilbane. Always loved his attitude. For a lot of the others though, I imagine it was more of a good career move. And I’m not necessarily knocking that. Andy Townsend would be a prime example. No way was he champing at the bit to play for us, but when the chance came to play international football he said yes, and he always performed well in the green shirt. To be honest, if we are missing out on lads at the moment because we’re not doing so well, than I’m ok with that too. The likes of Rice and Grealish I have no problem waving on their way.

Fixer82
08/11/2021, 7:43 AM
What’s the deal with Conor Gallagher? Is he eligible?

ColourfulPeanut
08/11/2021, 5:38 PM
Rules are as clear as mud now but seemingly once you play a competitive game at any level after turning 21, then you're tied to that country. Gallagher has played for England 21s since turning 21 so would tie him down.

Not that it matters, he's a nailed on future England international and has no reason to change.

Bielsa´s irish
08/11/2021, 6:19 PM
Covid reasons in TAS COULD help

NeverFeltBetter
24/11/2021, 3:59 PM
Meanwhile, in other sports: https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/1124/1262904-players-to-switch-nations-after-landmark-rugby-motion/

The new regulation, which will come into effect from 1 January 2022, had been lobbied for in particular by the Pacific Rugby Players Welfare group in recent years.
It means that players can represent a second team in Test rugby, provided they have a blood connection to the country, and have not been capped in the previous three years.

Imagine if this was the rule in football. Who would we be after?

third policeman
24/11/2021, 5:29 PM
Meanwhile, in other sports: https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/1124/1262904-players-to-switch-nations-after-landmark-rugby-motion/

Imagine if this was the rule in football. Who would we be after?

Maybe, Nathan Redmond. Genuinely can’t think of anyone else worth choosing. Cahill is no better than what we have at CB . I’d be surprised if either Maddison or Michael Keane get another cap, but we ‘d need to wait a year or two before they qualified.

sadloserkid
24/11/2021, 5:48 PM
Jonjo Shelvey would have been worth a squad place at times.

ColourfulPeanut
24/11/2021, 6:04 PM
Jonjo Shelvey would have been worth a squad place at times.
He'd walk into our team. For all his weaknesses, his range of passing is phenomenal. Keeping Jeff Hendrick out of the Newcastle team consistently

liamoo11
24/11/2021, 7:16 PM
He'd walk into our team. For all his weaknesses, his range of passing is phenomenal. Keeping Jeff Hendrick out of the Newcastle team consistently

Remember we offered him the chance to come on board for the euros in 2012 to no avail.

samhaydenjr
25/11/2021, 12:55 AM
Ryan Bertrand? Aaron Lennon?

backstothewall
07/12/2021, 7:14 PM
The UTV are showing a documentary about the whole thing now, so expect a load of fuss over this in the next few days.

NeverFeltBetter
10/06/2022, 2:51 PM
Mentioned it in the World Cup thread, but have been interested to follow along the case of Ecuador's Byron Castillo over the last few days. Chile claimed he was actually born in Colombia, so not eligible to represent Ecuador, Ecuador, up as far as their courts, disagreed: https://www.newyorker.com/sports/sporting-scene/will-a-birth-certificate-change-the-course-of-soccer-in-2022

FIFA rejected Chile's claim today, but it got me wondering: has their ever been a case where FIFA ruled on the citizenship status of a player in opposition to a court of law from the country concerned?

geysir
10/06/2022, 4:48 PM
Mentioned it in the World Cup thread, but have been interested to follow along the case of Ecuador's Byron Castillo over the last few days. Chile claimed he was actually born in Colombia, so not eligible to represent Ecuador, Ecuador, up as far as their courts, disagreed: https://www.newyorker.com/sports/sporting-scene/will-a-birth-certificate-change-the-course-of-soccer-in-2022

FIFA rejected Chile's claim today, but it got me wondering: has their ever been a case where FIFA ruled on the citizenship status of a player in opposition to a court of law from the country concerned?

I didn't read in the article where the courts in Ecuador made a decision on the citizen status of Castillo, did I miss it?

NeverFeltBetter
10/06/2022, 6:10 PM
Sorry, I got that from some Spanish language news sites, here's one example: https://www.google.com/amp/s/247newsagency.com/sports/141850.html%3famp

geysir
10/06/2022, 7:40 PM
From reading the New Yorker article, basically Chile's case was that Castillo had faked his birth cert in order to be eligible to play for Ecuador and Chile's evidence for this had already been discredited. Deep echoes of desperate IFA shenanigans in that one :D . FIFA don't rule on citizenship, they rule on eligibility to play, citizenship papers are just a part of that.
There were various player nationality disputes in Africa around the the time of intl qualifiers some years ago when chief suspect Cape Verde were flying high (discussed in this thread) which might fit that scenario. At least one team were punished with a 3 nil defeat. But I'd say the FIFA rulings were more about eligibility factors rather than contradicting a State's judgement on citizenship status.

NeverFeltBetter
13/09/2022, 2:17 PM

This is a story that isn't going away just yet, with Chile appealing on the grounds of a 2018 audio interview, conducted by the Ecuadorian football association, where the player in question appears to admit that his passport is fraudulant: https://www.football365.com/news/ecuador-face-world-cup-axe-bryan-castillo-fake-id-cover-up

Ruling due on Thursday. At this stage Chile might not even benefit: there would be an argument that Peru, knocked out in the Intercontinentals by Australia, should be allowed the place instead, as they would have qualified automatically if results where Castillo played were turned into 3-0 walkovers.

osarusan
14/09/2022, 9:40 AM
has their ever been a case where FIFA ruled on the citizenship status of a player in opposition to a court of law from the country concerned?

FIFA don't reall rule on citizenship, more on elgibility (which is stricter than citizenship - you can be a citizen but still not be eligible), but you'd have to imagine that they'd not go against a court that had said X was not even a citizen of that country.

NeverFeltBetter
16/09/2022, 3:21 PM
FIFA upholds the original decision: https://www.fifa.com/legal/media-releases/fifa-appeal-committee-passes-decision-on-eligibility-of-player-byron-david

...the player was to be considered as holding permanent Ecuadorian nationality in accordance with art. 5 par. 1 of the FIFA Regulations Governing the Application of the Statutes.

I'm assuming they meant Article 15, part one of which reads:

Any person holding the nationality of a country is eligible to play forthe representative teams of the Association of his country. TheExecutive Committee shall decide on the conditions of eligibilityfor any Player who assumes a new nationality and for whom par. 3of this article does not apply, or for any Player who would, in principle, be eligible to play for the teams of more than one Associationdue to his nationality

I suppose the point here is that Castillo is, by Ecuadorian law, considered to have been an Ecuadorian citizen since birth, regardless of what has been said in any recording.

Chile are now going to CAS. Ecuador is due to open the World Cup in 65 days.

tetsujin1979
14/06/2023, 10:48 PM
There's been a change in the eligibility rules for British clubs signing foreign players, outlined on the42 here
https://www.the42.ie/ireland-brexit-football-6093594-Jun2023/

Olé Olé
21/05/2024, 5:14 AM
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/michael-oneill-im-open-to-calling-up-ronan-hale-to-ni-but-he-has-to-switch-from-republic-first/a1585952490.html

Michael O'Neill speaks publicly about Ronan Hale switching his allegiance from Ireland to NI.

elatedscum
21/05/2024, 5:47 AM
Call him up, John O’Shea…

tetsujin1979
21/05/2024, 1:44 PM
Off topic posts deleted.
The long-held policy of the forum is to refer to the national side as Ireland, unless clarification is needed, in which case "Republic of Ireland" is used.

Predator
21/05/2024, 5:05 PM
A flurry of activity in the Eligibility Rules, Okay thread and I missed it. :(

Michael O'Neill openly talking about poaching players from his neighbouring association. Anyone have the number for CAS?

EalingGreen
21/05/2024, 10:02 PM
A flurry of activity in the Eligibility Rules, Okay thread and I missed it. :(

Michael O'Neill openly talking about poaching players from his neighbouring association. Anyone have the number for CAS?It really is a shame you missed it, for you mightn't be so far from the mark in your comments.

Namely, after he was asked about Ronan Hale by some local journalist looking for an angle, he replied:
"I wouldn’t pick a player unless he had committed to do an international transfer. The fact is we could pick him and play him, but it wouldn’t really count for anything. I don’t think that would send the right message to the rest of the squad."

Damned funny way of "poaching", eh?

P.S. He hasn't even spoken to the player - it's up to the player to speak to him.

Predator
22/05/2024, 3:36 PM
It really is a shame you missed it, for you mightn't be so far from the mark in your comments.

Namely, after he was asked about Ronan Hale by some local journalist looking for an angle, he replied:
"I wouldn’t pick a player unless he had committed to do an international transfer. The fact is we could pick him and play him, but it wouldn’t really count for anything. I don’t think that would send the right message to the rest of the squad."

Damned funny way of "poaching", eh?

P.S. He hasn't even spoken to the player - it's up to the player to speak to him.

You are quite correct. Of course, the entire concept of "poaching" in this context has always been absurd, since it has always been "up to the player" to make a decision. A player cannot be fished away from a pool against their will.

The term "poaching" was deployed back in the day to elicit an exaggerated sense of grievance and in an attempt to impress the perception that something grubby and underhanded was going on when players declared their intentions. Silly language.

By the way, I don't think Michael O'Neill would be so philosophical and evasive if Ronan Hale was playing at a higher level, nor should he be. Any coach worth their salt should always aim to maximise the talent available to them.

Crosby87
22/05/2024, 3:46 PM
You mention salt and poaching, which makes me think of eggs.

elatedscum
24/05/2024, 1:02 AM
Might be a better thread for this - but similar to Ronan Hale.

Stuff on Twitter about Kevin Zefi accepting a call up to Albania u21s. Could be a huge loss. He’s got so much potential but also so much work to do to get to what he could be…

Maybe a symptom of not having a senior manager for 7 months. Who’s charged with convincing him that he has a future with Ireland? Jim Crawford?

Maybe it’s a case of him knowing he’s not part of the 21s plans and not eligible for the 19s - so Albania have asked him to come train with the 21s and see what he thinks…

In that case, it probably goes down to not having a u20 team, which would be a perfect way to keep the 2004 and 2005 kids involved. Lots of them are going to be very important for us in the next campaign but not yet ready for 21s.

Razors left peg
24/05/2024, 1:03 AM
Is the lad even playing football these days?

elatedscum
24/05/2024, 2:14 AM
Is the lad even playing football these days?

Not really - has had 3 different injuries in the last 12 months. think he chose to go to Roma over Newcastle. Or at least Newcastle tried to sign both him and Cathal Heffernan and succeeded in signing just Heffernan, could obviously have been an issue with fee or sell on percentage or whatever as well. Rocco Vata is only playing in the lowlands league (and is rightly a shoe-in for the 21s squad)

Once again, if you've got a u20s team - there's a whole swathe of players doing good bad and indifferent but there's clearly enough talent that you want them kicking on with the underage sides.

Off the top of my head from 2005: Franco Umeh, Zefi, Heffernan, Caden McLoughlin, Justin Ferizaj, Conor Walsh, Ronnie McGrath, Thomas Bloxham, McMannus, Adam Murphy, Freddie Gibbard, Joe O'Brien-Whitmarsh, Alex Nolan and the 2004 kids like Owen Mason, Reece Byrne, Aaron Maguire, James Abankwah, Josh Seary, Jacob Slater, John Ryan, John Clarke, Cian Coleman, Ed McJannett, Harry Vaughan, Ronan Maher, Glory Nzingo, Dara McGuinness, Ben Quinn, Luke Pearce, Tommy Lonergan. Just a shame that those guys are probably gonna go 2-3 years without playing for Ireland when it would be easy to have a different solution...

tetsujin1979
24/05/2024, 8:29 AM
I thought Zefi had played for our U21s, which would make him ineligible for Albania until the next campaign, but i can only find games up to U19 level for him

JR89
24/05/2024, 8:48 AM
Yeah don't think he's ever gotten an U21s call up and wouldn't be surprised if the switch is something to do with that because he feels he's being overlooked as others have gotten called up before him.

There's no doubting the kids got talent but there's also a vibe of this lad thinks he's much better than what he is. Always was more impressed with Vata when both played for Ireland and while it's never nice if a player switches there's other younger players which also look as talented as he did at underage.