PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76]

Nedser
27/02/2010, 6:40 PM
]These things tend to come in waves. We had great crowds down here in the late sixties & early seventies,in fact we had over 20k at a game here in 1972,then a barren spell.Then in the eighty's it picked up again & here we are down again but I'm sure things will pick up again.
If the League & the Clubs were run properly I'm sure people would come back again.

I wish I could share your confidence that things will return to the way they were in the 60s & 70s. Crowds all over the country were far bigger then and even bigger if you go further back. Incredible as it might sound, the record attendance at Dalyer for a domestic match was 45,000 (Bohs v Rovers in 1945). Unfortunately, I just can't see those days coming back.

tonydaly
27/02/2010, 7:18 PM
I wish I could share your confidence that things will return to the way they were in the 60s & 70s. Crowds all over the country were far bigger then and even bigger if you go further back. Incredible as it might sound, the record attendance at Dalyer for a domestic match was 45,000 (Bohs v Rovers in 1945). Unfortunately, I just can't see those days coming back.

Now I don't think we will ever see 20k at a League of Ireland game again but as clubs realise that they must keep to their budgets & fans see that they are doing their best I'm confident that people will come to see the games. A lot of people have been put off the League of Ireland because of the way it was run & the way clubs did their business.
Of course you will always find people who prefer to follow the English Premier League. When Roy Keane went to Sunderland all of a sudden we had scores of Sunderland fans in Cork. Most of them didn't even know where Sunderland was but I suppose its their right to follow whoever they wan to.
I think the funniest thing I have seen was a guy protesting with a placard somewhere in Dublin about foreign games. What was he wearing ? A Celtic Top :D

bluemovie
02/03/2010, 4:32 PM
I think the funniest thing I have seen was a guy protesting with a placard somewhere in Dublin about foreign games. What was he wearing ? A Celtic Top :D

Yeah that was outside Croke Park when they were voting on allowing 'garrison games' in. Ridiculous.

I thought as a Waterford fan you'd know all that or maybe you're just a johnny come lately ;)
You would see by my crest that I wasn't unduly worried by the result although I did have the pleasure of seeing Cork Hibs beat Waterford to win their first trophy in 1969.

Ha, no I wasn't born when Johnny Matthews sunk that penalty to seal our 5th title. The bandwagon/quick to begrudge fans were alive back then too. Loads of the Waterford fans left at 2-0 down - missing arguably the club's greatest moment. It's just an Irish thing :(

tonydaly
02/03/2010, 6:44 PM
Yeah that was outside Croke Park when they were voting on allowing 'garrison games' in. Ridiculous.

Ha, no I wasn't born when Johnny Matthews sunk that penalty to seal our 5th title. The bandwagon/quick to begrudge fans were alive back then too. Loads of the Waterford fans left at 2-0 down - missing arguably the club's greatest moment. It's just an Irish thing :(

Thats the guy. Makes you wonder what some of these people have for brains.

I love when people leave early & someone equalizes or gets the winner & they miss it. What I enjoy most of all is meeting someone who lives near to the ground & they ask you who won. I tell then City won 4 or 5 nil & it was a great game just to see their faces even though it might have been nil all & a bore :D

Pablo Escobar
04/03/2010, 9:13 AM
Are you for real?

We have a week to get a squad together on a tiny budget with a new manager who mightnt even get a preseason game.

People need to seriously lower their expectations

Ahem.....I would just like to take this opportunity to gloat :D .....on a serious note though, I still think promotion is not our main objective, nor should we expect it and it will be tough! So will you be at the game tomorrow? I'd say we'll have a huge crowd up!! :)

micls
04/03/2010, 9:37 AM
Ahem.....I would just like to take this opportunity to gloat :D .....on a serious note though, I still think promotion is not our main objective, nor should we expect it and it will be tough! So will you be at the game tomorrow? I'd say we'll have a huge crowd up!! :)

I certainly will. Really looking forward to it now. Should have 100 or more anyway

Pablo Escobar
04/03/2010, 9:48 AM
I certainly will. Really looking forward to it now. Should have 100 or more anyway

Yeah, I can't wait now. I'd say more than 100. The flight mysteriously filled up early this week. The bus will be full. A few of us taking the train. I know others driving up. They're only the one's I know of. Can't wait!!