PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

Hairy Bowsie
22/02/2010, 6:17 PM
Very easy for a football supporter to take the moral high ground regarding a situation that doesn't involve their club I know but if Cork get a licence for the Premier it will only confirm the vast majority of barstoolers', and a sizeable amount of LoI fan's suspicions that these two leagues of ours are painful jokes played out at idiots' expenses, namely myself, yourself and everyone else that has wasted their time trying to keep their heads up amidst the myriad of rubbish that gets served to us each and every year

Jebus, you are spot on. Every single word is spot on. I'm so disgusted by the fact that this has even gone this far and when the decision is made later, when it goes in favour of Cork, i will be contemplating a life without LoI football.

eelmonster
22/02/2010, 6:34 PM
Jebus, you are spot on. Every single word is spot on. I'm so disgusted by the fact that this has even gone this far and when the decision is made later, when it goes in favour of Cork, i will be contemplating a life without LoI football.

Why should your club suffer because of FAI ineptitude and the FORAS/Quintas ultimatum? If CCFC are awarded a Premier licence, we, LOI fans nationwide, should boycott Cork City matches.

Longfordian
22/02/2010, 6:41 PM
I know this is off the wall lunatic thinking but there is a chance that the FAI were just fobbing off the consortium and perhaps when the Committee doesn't award a Premier Licence they just put the blame on them as an "independent body". If the takeover falls through they still can award FORAS their licence. I have to say I am well aware that that's more a hope than an expectation. I just can't believe that clubs like us have been given so much grief by the FAI even this year when we've actually turned a very small profit I believe and they appear to be just content to nod through Cork's licence.

jebus
22/02/2010, 6:47 PM
Why should your club suffer because of FAI ineptitude and the FORAS/Quintas ultimatum? If CCFC are awarded a Premier licence, we, LOI fans nationwide, should boycott Cork City matches.

I think what Hairy Bowsie might be getting at is that there might come a stage where you just have to say football on this island (possibly worldwide) is just not worth it any more. What's the point of supporting your club in a league that I would view as corrupt, or at least corruptable? We still do it but football, and a lot of other sports too, sometimes fall into the trap of thinking that love is endless and limitless when it really isn't and starts taking it's lifeblood (the supporters) for granted.

On that I'm sure the FAI will grant a Premier Licence to Cork secure in the knowledge that a lot of fans won't walk away no matter how much of a nonsense the LoI becomes. I'm not one of them, I'm pretty sick of football and the only thing keeping me interested is Limerick FC, and like I say I don't think I'm someone who has limitless love for this game and these leagues in particular

abcd
22/02/2010, 6:51 PM
How can the league retain even a shred of credibility with this ongoing farce? If Cork get the Premier licence it'll be ridiculous and even if they don't Bray are already behind the 8 ball before the season even kicks off.

I wish FORAS well in the future and Cork need strong representation in the league heading into the future but securing Corks future can't come at the expense of the rest of the league and particularly teams who have meticulously kept within budget year after year despite having limited revenue streams.

Most of the clubs in the LOI are far from squeaky clean and Galway United have most definitely made mistakes in the past but from that we tried to cut our cloth over recent times.

An absolute blizzard of cash(in relative terms) has passed through Cork City over the past number of years yet its still in a massive hole. The FAI have been quick enough to act in the past against other clubs now they must show that they aren't running a league with different rules for different teams

bennocelt
22/02/2010, 6:52 PM
I'm not one of them, I'm pretty sick of football and the only thing keeping me interested is Limerick FC, and like I say I don't think I'm someone who has limitless love for this game and these leagues in particular

I hear ya Jebus, looking forward to the start of the League myself, but this shambles with Cork definitely leaves a sick taste in my mouth. Why the hell did the FAI let this drag on for the last few months - a joke and an insult to all fans.

jebus
22/02/2010, 6:57 PM
Most of the clubs in the LOI are far from squeaky clean and Galway United have most definitely made mistakes in the past but from that we tried to cut our cloth over recent times.

This is another point. I'm far from Galway's biggest fan but at least when they overspent two seasons ago they corrected it mid-season to stay within the licence's financial requirements

Cork just seem to flounce about and the FAI refuse to punish them, even a points deduction would be nonsense. I mean I was reading that rag the Indo today and saw a headline like 'Cork faces extinction with 3pm deadline in the courts today' and just thought how often I'd seen a similar headline in the past year regarding Cork City FC. That's from someone with an idea of what's going on, can't imagine what a barstooler would think of it

Mr A
22/02/2010, 6:57 PM
Can anyone explain why RTE News and other sources have said that if there is no premier license there won't be a Cork team in the league? What happened to the FORAS D1 option or is that off the table now?

weecountyman
22/02/2010, 6:58 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/2010/0222/quintas_mccarthyj_av.html

Missed this yesterday, and lots of hard questions unasked. Scaremongering at its worst, but it's business after all.

A couple of notable moments that should be of extreme concern to Cork City fans - our governing body is the F.A.I., not the FA as Mr. McCarthy seems to think it is. As a student of psychology this slip seems rather worrying. You have been warned :-)

redgav
22/02/2010, 7:00 PM
Can anyone explain why RTE News and other sources have said that if there is no premier license there won't be a Cork team in the league? What happened to the FORAS D1 option or is that off the table now?

Its RTE ,they take their Irish football news from the BBC and someone from the BBC made a error..the others have stupidly followed RTE.

If the consortium pulls out ,Foras still have the backup plan sorted

Hairy Bowsie
22/02/2010, 7:03 PM
I think what Hairy Bowsie might be getting at is that there might come a stage where you just have to say football on this island (possibly worldwide) is just not worth it any more. What's the point of supporting your club in a league that I would view as corrupt, or at least corruptable? We still do it but football, and a lot of other sports too, sometimes fall into the trap of thinking that love is endless and limitless when it really isn't and starts taking it's lifeblood (the supporters) for granted.

On that I'm sure the FAI will grant a Premier Licence to Cork secure in the knowledge that a lot of fans won't walk away no matter how much of a nonsense the LoI becomes. I'm not one of them, I'm pretty sick of football and the only thing keeping me interested is Limerick FC, and like I say I don't think I'm someone who has limitless love for this game and these leagues in particular

Again you're pretty spot on. Why are people struggling to see the bigger picture here?

sheao
22/02/2010, 7:08 PM
Bray had a representitive in the court today .

tonydaly
22/02/2010, 7:09 PM
You got to say that those planning to take-over the club have a bloody cheek to be insisting on a licence. You can be sure that they are now talking to the FAI and trying to twist their arm. hopefully the FAI will tell them where to go. These guys can't get a licence. Simply can't!!!

Not only will they get a license but they will also play in Europe.

No way should CCFC recieve a Premier division license for the coming season after the way the name of the league was dragged through the mud by TNB over the last 12 months. Doesn't matter in my book, that new owners are taking over, the FAI would be setting a dangerous precedent here by allowing a club to flaunt the licensing process and play this get out of jail free card. I could see Bray challenging it in the courts too. Cork should take their medicine and their rightfull place in the first division!
bhs

What can Bray or any other club do ?

The new owners contacted the judge to say it was dependent on the license received. She said that there was to be no conditions attached to takeover

FAI could now call their bluff by not awarding them the license (but of course they'll just allow them in…)

Of course they will,all ready sorted.

If Cork gets a Premier Licence then other clubs should come together and take some form of action. The awarding of a Licence will be totally unacceptable.

You & I know that the clubs won't come together for any reason. That's why the League of Ireland is in the mess it is.Every club looking out for their own corner. Always has been & always will be.

I presume you're taking the michael. The only time most League of Ireland get a good crowd is when Cork City are playing them. We kept Shels going for years.

How can the league retain even a shred of credibility with this ongoing farce? If Cork get the Premier licence it'll be ridiculous and even if they don't Bray are already behind the 8 ball before the season even kicks off.

I wish FORAS well in the future and Cork need strong representation in the league heading into the future but securing Corks future can't come at the expense of the rest of the league and particularly teams who have meticulously kept within budget year after year despite having limited revenue streams.

An absolute blizzard of cash(in relative terms) has passed through Cork City over the past number of years yet its still in a massive hole. The FAI have been quick enough to act in the past against other clubs now they must show that they aren't running a league with different rules for different teams

This League has no credibility. That went out the window long ago and as you say most of the clubs can't talk.

RTE couldn't even get the day of the week right.

Ignore that. There will be a Cork team in the League next year. Either City in the Premier or FORAS in the 1st Div

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/2010/0222/quintas_mccarthyj_av.html

Missed this yesterday, and lots of hard questions unasked. Scaremongering at its worst, but it's business after all.

A couple of notable moments that should be of extreme concern to Cork City fans - our governing body is the F.A.I., not the FA as Mr. McCarthy seems to think it is. As a student of psychology this slip seems rather worrying. You have been warned :-)

I'll pass on your concern.

chatterbox
22/02/2010, 7:25 PM
I presume you're taking the michael. The only time most League of Ireland get a good crowd is when Cork City are playing them. We kept Shels going for years.

By far the biggest catchment area of any club and your crowds are still outdone by others on ocassion.

tonydaly
22/02/2010, 7:32 PM
By far the biggest catchment area of any club and your crowds are still outdone by others on ocassion.

Who apart from Rovers & thats only since they moved back to Tallagh ?

LK37oldskool
22/02/2010, 7:36 PM
hopefully its Cork thats wound up.

grayzer1888
22/02/2010, 7:43 PM
Anybody know what time the licence decision will be anounced?

harry crumb
22/02/2010, 7:50 PM
Can't we all just get along?

tonydaly
22/02/2010, 7:52 PM
hopefully its Cork thats wound up.

Well so what if we are. It won't improve the standard in Limerick will it ? If we are playing in the 1st Div next year at least ye will get a decent crowd. This has been going on for so long now I don't think we even care down here anymore. It should have been sorted out long ago.

Anybody know what time the licence decision will be anounced?

As far as I know the meeting was due to start at 7pm so it could take all night.

Longfordian
22/02/2010, 8:00 PM
Well so what if we are. It won't improve the standard in Limerick will it ? If we are playing in the 1st Div next year at least ye will get a decent crowd. This has been going on for so long now I don't think we even care down here anymore. It should have been sorted out long ago.

For me, it's not about Cork as such it's just the whole idea of even handed treatment from the powers that be. If it were Bohs I'd be similarly annoyed but they seem to have complied with that they had to, one way or another. I've said it more than once but even this year we were geting unbelievable threats from the FAI if we didn't pay a few bills by the 29th January. I believe the sum total was less than €3k. It stinks. And I'm sure we weren't the only ones

tonydaly
22/02/2010, 8:05 PM
For me, it's not about Cork as such it's just the whole idea of even handed treatment from the powers that be. If it were Bohs I'd be similarly annoyed but they seem to have complied with that they had to, one way or another. I've said it more than once but even this year we were geting unbelievable threats from the FAI if we didn't pay a few bills by the 29th January. I believe the sum total was less than €3k. It stinks. And I'm sure we weren't the only ones

You're right its a joke. As I've said elsewhere "Make a set of rules & stick to them" I am of the opinion that this should have been sorted out long ago. There are quite a few down here who wished that City should have been wound up & a new start made. Even if it works out with the license and all that the club will be loaded with debt for years.Doesn't make any sense & all because of one idiot.

adam
22/02/2010, 8:06 PM
Do UEFA have any interest here? As our representatives in next seasons Europa league surely there are too many questions about the process. ...

forza
22/02/2010, 8:10 PM
I have a funny feeling Cork will continue to push for this licence even if turned down, and then if its granted, push for Europe on the basis they got themselves a PD liscence. And then try play there way out debt if that gets granted, before being beaten by some no mark team, Quinteas (sp) do a runner then and low and behold we have the same again this time next year.

yiddo
22/02/2010, 8:21 PM
I have a funny feeling Cork will continue to push for this licence even if turned down, and then if its granted, push for Europe on the basis they got themselves a PD liscence. And then try play there way out debt if that gets granted, before being beaten by some no mark team, Quinteas (sp) do a runner then and low and behold we have the same again this time next year.

Quintas put the consortium together, They have no financial involvement in the consortium.

tonydaly
22/02/2010, 8:30 PM

Is this your wish list ?

Longfordian
22/02/2010, 8:30 PM
I wonder is there a few heated discussons going in in Abbotstown at the moment?. Given that there's only two intrinsically linked applicatons to be discussing they're in situ a while.

El-Pietro
22/02/2010, 8:31 PM
Quintas are not going to be involved in the new club in anything other than a support role.

The club will be owned by Peter Grey (52%) Michael O'Connell (28%) and FORAS (20%) with agreements in place that mean no decision can be taken without 70% consensus for many issues, or 100% for even more important ones, most notably the budget.

Quintas merely helped bring everything together.

Look, we know this stinks, we're not proud. Right now, were just very relieved that this horrible saga is finally apparently coming to an end, though I can't help but feel there will be a twist yet. Ideally we will be placed in the first division, or at least prevented from playing in Europe with a hefty points deduction. I don't think we can have too many complaints if we're hit with fines/10 point deduction and barred from Europe next year.
But forgive us for not really giving a **** right now what everyone else thinks, particularly those who are not concerned by the LOI in general.
We've been through hell, and most people, even other LOI fans have no idea what its been like, seeing the heart ripped out of the club, to the point where even the hardcore fans were losing the will to continue.

Honestly, I just want it to be over one way or another so we know where we stand.

osarusan
22/02/2010, 8:35 PM
If CCFC are renied a licence, is the consortium still legally obliged to take it over (or to continue the takeover), seeing as the judge apparently said the takeover couldn't depend on the awarding of a licence?

Has the consortium in effect gambled that they'll get a PD licence?

Celdrog
22/02/2010, 8:39 PM
Licence refused according to CorkWeb

**FrOsTy**
22/02/2010, 8:41 PM
Just heard unofficially that Foras were granted the FD licence and CCIFL were denied a prem.

Justice if true! Bring on March 12!!

tonydaly
22/02/2010, 8:41 PM
If CCFC are renied a licence, is the consortium still legally obliged to take it over (or to continue the takeover), seeing as the judge apparently said the takeover couldn't depend on the awarding of a licence?

Has the consortium in effect gambled that they'll get a PD licence?

No,if a Premier license isn't granted the company will be wound up tomorrow & FORAS will get a 1st Div license instead. There are many fans down here who would prefer that.

Mr A
22/02/2010, 8:42 PM
From Cork forum:

The Independent Club Licensing Committee met this evening (22/01/10) and unanimously decided to refuse the Premier Division Licence application of Cork City Investment FC Ltd.

Having carefully considered the application and all of the documentation submitted it was the view of the Committee that the club fell seriously short of the criteria required to fulfil a Premier Division Licence in a number of areas.

The committee also considered the application from Friends of the Rebel Army Society (FORAS) and agreed to grant a First Division Licence for the 2010 season.

Celdrog
22/02/2010, 8:43 PM
On LOI site here
"The Independent Club Licensing Committee met this evening (22/01/10) and unanimously decided to refuse the Premier Division Licence application of Cork City Investment FC Ltd."

http://www.loi.ie/index.php/news-center

White Horse
22/02/2010, 8:43 PM
Licence refused according to CorkWeb

Hearing talk about a high court injuntion being sought by new owners?

Does anyone have any hard information.

eamo1
22/02/2010, 8:45 PM
Wow,im surprised,justice done it seems.Why do i get the feeling though that this isnt the end of this sorry saga??

Mr A
22/02/2010, 8:47 PM
Right decision. Congrats to Bray, and to FORAS for their successful application.

osarusan
22/02/2010, 8:48 PM

please, please, no.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
22/02/2010, 8:49 PM

Please God not. Hopefully this is the end of it.

Cork and Derry in Division 1 next year. Good gates for the teams there

sheao
22/02/2010, 8:52 PM
Now it is a FORAS 100% run club and CCIFL will be liquidated. Best outcome in my opinion and a FORAS run side will be a success with some very good people involved.

osarusan
22/02/2010, 8:52 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0222/corkcity1.html

Cork City will not be part of the Premier Division this season after the Independent Club Licensing Committee unanimously decided to refuse application of Cork City Investment FC Ltd.

This means that even if Cork meet the Tuesday lunchtime deadline set to pay a debt of €160,000 to the Revenue Commissioners - Cork City will not be part of the Premier Division next season.

tonydaly
22/02/2010, 8:54 PM

No injunctions. We just get on with it. At least its over now & Coughlan will never get near a club again.

Nedser
22/02/2010, 8:54 PM

Can't see what it could possibly be based on, the decision not to award a license really isn't even debatable.

In any case, what new owners? I thought the deadline for the takeover to go through was tomorrow? Cork City FC has been refused a licence (of any descripion) so will not be in the league next year, As such, presumably the takeover now collapses. Why would the consortium take over a club that will not be in the LOI? As far as I can tell, FORAS have been granted a new licence for a new club. I guess they could do a separate deal with the same consortium? In any case, it will not be the same club as I understand things.

Kildareman
22/02/2010, 8:56 PM
Now it is a FORAS 100% run club and CCIFL will be liquidated. Best outcome in my opinion and a FORAS run side will be a success with some very good people involved.

And will be welcomed and not despised by all. I HOPE!!!

shelsfan1
22/02/2010, 8:57 PM
What is this Foras Cork city going to do now? Will they sign players off the other Cork? Where will they play this season? They've a lot of work and not a lot of time.

White Horse
22/02/2010, 8:57 PM
No injunctions. We just get on with it. At least its over now & Coughlan will never get near a club again.

Good luck to Foras with their new club.

Dundalk had to rebuild in the first division, as had Shamrock Rovers.

It is not the end of the world and I'm sure you'll come back stronger and more secure.

Mr A
22/02/2010, 8:58 PM
The next big question: The new Derry City had to take on the old club's 'football debts'.

Will the new Cork City have to do the same?

White Horse
22/02/2010, 9:00 PM
The next big question: The new Derry City had to take on the old club's 'football debts'.

Will the new Cork City have to do the same?

New club, new licence, no debts.

tippex
22/02/2010, 9:01 PM
Just back from the Game spent the whole match refreshing my phone in the hope of getting word and nada until I'm at the door.

Congrats to all the guys in Foras I really do think this is the best long term outcome for you.

I'm still in shock that the ILC has done the right thing.

Longfordian
22/02/2010, 9:02 PM
Fair play FAI/Independent Committee the right call I gave out loads about a potential fudge, glad to see it not happen. For now anyway. Welcome FORAS FC if ye want to play in the First. Get to feck any "investors" whose nose is out of joint. Tough luck for lending TNB money.

shep
22/02/2010, 9:04 PM
Fair play FAI for making the right decision...best of luck to FORAS....Europe for Dundalk????