PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

Longfordian
31/07/2009, 9:09 PM
Certainly not if Tom Coughlan is still there. That's for damn sure. Even if he wasn't, I'd highly doubt it. He may settle it I suppose.

marinobohs
31/07/2009, 9:20 PM
Was away all afternoon so didn't see all this as it happened. Seems to have been an extraordinary day even by CCFC standards.

From what I can gather, even IF they survive again come next Thursday, they're going to spend the rest of the season sprinting just to stand still as far as cash flow is concerned. Not to mention where on earth they're going to find the remaining 239K by then!

and i thought supporting Bohs was nerve wracking ! Congrats to Cork and hope they can shore things up to see out the season :D

Rob_the_cat
31/07/2009, 10:27 PM
FFS, Kilkenny left the league because Jim Ratigan was sick and no one else could shoulder the burden he had been carrying for the club. They did not fold over money.

Nail on the head, as hinted at in their thread, there was no backup there for Jimmy to pass the mantle on to. As it happened (I think it was Ian Kehoe of the Business Post who spoke about this at the time) the FAI were very good to the directors of the club who stood to incur personal losses over the debt which was there. I believe the costs were met to enable Buckley Park to be kept for Irish football. Kudos to the FAI on that one. Although not to Fran Gavin who expressed glee at their exit to be replaced by SF.

The only place that Shels were RRS was in their relegation. I know that Dermot Keely had to pull a squad together practically over a weekend so they wouldn't have been at the races for the first half of the season, but Alan Matthews managed to weather a similar storm this season. I felt at the time that the FAI should have been more understanding of their plight.

Joseph McSweene
01/08/2009, 2:12 AM
that was the start of the debt ye built up.
so ye did buy the league.
as did drogheda, shels, and bohs in the past.
living beyond your means.

bunch a morons running your club.

Not quite true, in fact we cut our wage bill going into the 2005 season and I believe reduced it again going into the 2006 season-this would be when Brian Lennox was our chairman and we were run correctly. At the time Brian stood aside because he could not financially run us as a full-time venture anymore and Arkaga (well Jim little first, then Arkaga) took over. That's when we started going crazy with our outgoings-bringing in players on high wages, silly bonuses, bringing in ticket scan and increasing security costs, hiring more full-time staff off the field, sacking managers left right and centre, etc. I think the point where we starting buying success wasn't our League win but our Cup win sadly....the signs were already there at that point.

Just to clarify mind.

tallaghtfornia
01/08/2009, 10:17 AM
Taken from rovers forum and is spot on;

I still cant believe how Coughlan and the Langers believe they will pay by wednesday and its happy days from there on in!!!

They will have used next years prize money and sponsorship by next week and are still struggling to pay wages.

As for FORAS they should hang their heads this morning!!! All this bull**** about "wanting the best for their club but Coughlan wont budge" ****e really dont wash anymore!! YOU SHOULD HAVE WENT TO COURT AND STOOD WITH THE REVENUE WHEN THEY LOOKED FOR THE WINDING UP ORDER!!!!!

THe FAI beggar belief, letting a team use income, prizemoney and sponsorship from the future is a shambles. I also think that Cork will be allowed use the above mentioned funds in next years budget to make everything look "fine and dandy".

Should Cork make it to the end of the season they should be relegated immediately as they will have no prizemoney to live off, no sponsorship to live off and will have another tax/wage bill left unpaid. NO CHANCE OF A LICENSE!!!!

SunnySweeney
01/08/2009, 10:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAb6mFXnhAk

City fans (outside the club shop in town) get the good news before the game.

roinuj
01/08/2009, 11:43 AM

whos the fella wareing the waterford united shirt :eek:

roinuj
01/08/2009, 11:46 AM
With the future of the club at stake, would there be a chance that Matthews will drop the case?

i hope not,
the man was shafted and deserves every penny he can get out of them.

brianw82
01/08/2009, 11:59 AM
i hope not,

No question about that, but if he wins his case and it possibly puts 40+ people out of work...

Just saying that there's possibly a greater good here.

Longfordian
01/08/2009, 12:05 PM
He may agree to take a payment schedule I don't know but from what I've heard he's not going to waive his entitlement to the money if it's proven that he is entitled. Given Tom's track record I know where my money would be going in that case. Tom should have thought of that before he sacked him in fairness.

SMorgan
01/08/2009, 1:14 PM
He may agree to take a payment schedule I don't know but from what I've heard he's not going to waive his entitlement to the money if it's proven that he is entitled. Given Tom's track record I know where my money would be going in that case. Tom should have thought of that before he sacked him in fairness.

Why on earth should he? Of course its going to end up in the Courts.

marinobohs
01/08/2009, 1:25 PM
Taken from rovers forum and is spot on;

I still cant believe how Coughlan and the Langers believe they will pay by wednesday and its happy days from there on in!!!

They will have used next years prize money and sponsorship by next week and are still struggling to pay wages.

As for FORAS they should hang their heads this morning!!! All this bull**** about "wanting the best for their club but Coughlan wont budge" ****e really dont wash anymore!! YOU SHOULD HAVE WENT TO COURT AND STOOD WITH THE REVENUE WHEN THEY LOOKED FOR THE WINDING UP ORDER!!!!!

THe FAI beggar belief, letting a team use income, prizemoney and sponsorship from the future is a shambles. I also think that Cork will be allowed use the above mentioned funds in next years budget to make everything look "fine and dandy".

Should Cork make it to the end of the season they should be relegated immediately as they will have no prizemoney to live off, no sponsorship to live off and will have another tax/wage bill left unpaid. NO CHANCE OF A LICENSE!!!!

obviously walking away from tax and all other liabilities would be a much better idea right ? As for relegation, how quickly you forget that rovers were NOT relegated for running the club into the ground were NOT relegated for false licence application or for having no money to live off, As usual the only things rovers have in abundance is arrogance and hypocracy :rolleyes:

redgav
01/08/2009, 1:25 PM
i hope not,

Shafted- Is that Waterford speak for "engineered a move" ???

longfordjames
01/08/2009, 1:48 PM
The amount of flares used on that lads other video is unreal.No doubt the FAI wont fine them.The hate this for Cork bias...

micls
01/08/2009, 1:50 PM

Go on away and jump. I have huge respect for Rovers fans and what they did, but the cheek of you to criticise us for wanting the company to survive and to save 40odd jobs. When we take over, which we will, we will ebar the brunt of this for years to come, and we are happy to do so.

We could have taken the easy way out and supported winding the company up, cleared the debts and started again, but what about the players? What about the staff? Do these people who have shown immense loyalty to our club and to us as fans deserve nothing in return?

We want to take over our club, but that doesn't mean we'll stamp all over people on our way there. We will our club, sooner rather than later, but when we do we want to be sure we did it in the right way. We did everything we could to stand by those screwed over in this process and last year and we can hold our heads high.

If it comes to it that we're wound up anyway at some stage before we can do this then we can run the club then, but until that day comes, we will do everything possible to stand by those and help those who have stood by CCFC.

sfc red
01/08/2009, 4:25 PM

Oh dear...

'What's the actual news?'

'I don't know, who cares.'

Mongs.

micls
01/08/2009, 4:27 PM
Oh dear...

Mongs.

Yeah, imagine people who just found out their club has not been wound up, after being told hours early it was, aren't too bothered at that exact moment about the finer details.....

sfc red
01/08/2009, 4:39 PM
Yeah, imagine people who just found out their club has not been wound up, after being told hours early it was, aren't too bothered at that exact moment about the finer details.....

Or... they didn't know what they were celebrating.

micls
01/08/2009, 4:53 PM
Or... they didn't know what they were celebrating.

Eh...no.

I was there. What they didnt know was how, since it seemed impossible til then.

Longfordian
01/08/2009, 5:09 PM
I'm not trying to have a go here, believe me but it seems to me that a lot of those 40 people are going have to either take huge cuts or find new work in any event if the club is to survive. TC is after borrowing over 200k from a company in London that nobody seems to know about and who are prepared to pay out the cash in a couple of days on spec of it coming in from the Celtic game, no doubt charging a large interest rate. You need rid of him asap and he doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Martinho II
01/08/2009, 5:34 PM
I saw in the star today that Dermot Desmond had a big role in the extra money being pumped in...

longfordjames
01/08/2009, 9:56 PM
Lookk through the rest of his youtube videos couldnt bother makin a link.

Hairy Bowsie
01/08/2009, 11:48 PM
Oh dear...

Mongs.

Yeah i was actually cringing watching that video. Beyond embarrassing stuff.

Schumi
02/08/2009, 12:24 AM
How much is that again? Its only low tens of thousands I thought?

Was 15k mentioned as what the FAI are putting in?

redgav
02/08/2009, 12:47 AM
Yeah i was actually cringing watching that video. Beyond embarrassing stuff.

imagine that ,supporters of a club that was dead a hour previously suddenly find out that there was a 13th hour reprieve and they have the cheek to celebrate it ....the *******S

Celdrog
02/08/2009, 9:12 AM
Was 15k mentioned as what the FAI are putting in?Did the FAI not give everyone in the premier division €15k back in June to help during the two week break?
If they did how can they give Cork more prize money, or is there more than €15k for finishing last?

topia
02/08/2009, 9:27 AM
Did the FAI not give everyone in the premier division €15k back in June to help during the two week break?
If they did how can they give Cork more prize money, or is there more than €15k for finishing last?

why would cork finish last? sure with the squad they have i reckon just a couple of new signings will see them reach europe:eek:

Hairy Bowsie
02/08/2009, 10:11 AM
imagine that ,supporters of a club that was dead a hour previously suddenly find out that there was a 13th hour reprieve and they have the cheek to celebrate it ....the *******S

Ah for christ sake, you don't have to be so sensitive. They're celebrating but they don't know why. If you listen, some of them even think they've been saved outright and not just given another stay of execution. It's f*cking embarrassing, no matter who you support.

brianomc
02/08/2009, 10:14 AM
why would cork finish last? sure with the squad they have i reckon just a couple of new signings will see them reach europe:eek:

Tom??? Tom Coughlan is that you? The last thing Cork need are more new signings. Their squad needs to be reduced, not increased. If they survive to the end of the season but fail to comply with the 65% wage cap then they will presumably be relegated and get the prize money for finishing last and not 1st, 2nd or wherever.

The FAI can't (shouldn't) give them any more money than for last place, and I don't agree with paying them the Setanta Cup money either. If they fold and can't fulfil them the FAI are out of pocket because the team that replace them will have to be paid too.

Maybe I missed the sarcasm in your post, i really hope I did

topia
02/08/2009, 10:35 AM
Ah for christ sake, you don't have to be so sensitive. They're celebrating but they don't know why. If you listen, some of them even think they've been saved outright and not just given another stay of execution. It's f*cking embarrassing, no matter who you support.

Or else you and the others are just looking for something to put down another club down about as usual?
I think a lot of fans would jump around like lunatics if one minute they thought their club was dead and buried and then all of a sudden there was even a glimmer of hope.
Also if you follow shels and not the league why would you call it embarrassing or feel the need to comment on it even?

Hairy Bowsie
02/08/2009, 10:47 AM
Because it's embarrassing regardless :confused:

DmanDmythDledge
02/08/2009, 11:44 AM
Did the FAI not give everyone in the premier division €15k back in June to help during the two week break?
The last place club gets €40k.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2009/0227/1224241954245.html

Celdrog
02/08/2009, 1:04 PM
Ah, I see - It's really €60k, taking into account the TV money

redobit
02/08/2009, 2:52 PM
Maybe its straight forward but can someone exlpain to me:
CCFC have written cheques that have bounced (two in total i think), so then its fair to say there is no money in the business account. Yet the players wages are still being paid, so are they geting payed in cash or somthing.

brianw82
02/08/2009, 3:23 PM
Maybe its straight forward but can someone exlpain to me:
CCFC have written cheques that have bounced (two in total i think), so then its fair to say there is no money in the business account. Yet the players wages are still being paid, so are they geting payed in cash or somthing.

The players haven't been paid since the last Wednesday in June, according to the papers.

higgins
02/08/2009, 4:12 PM
It's interesting that the FAI have forwarded money to Cork. From what I know most clubs are in debt to the FAI in some shape or form. Fines that come from suspensions and league fees etc would go on your bill from the FAI.

Prize money will come off that bill. TV money comes off that bill,, Also other things like the use of your ground if you own it for junior games will come off the bill.

As Stu likes to say the Cawley fee was paid by the FAI and our debt to the FAI would have increased.

I would think few clubs in the league are all square with the FAI. Shels I know owed a lot of money to the FAI when we hit the wall. They made us pay most of this back, into six figures, before they would even entertain us with a First Division licence.

It's hard to imagine that Cork were up to date with payments to the FAI regarding fines and league fees. Leaving the FAI unpaid is normally one of the first things you do as they are probably the most unlikely to chase the money in the courts. They would stop it from the end of season prize money.

If Cork are up to date with all creditors apart from Revenue then fair play to them. They don't deserve any punishment but I'd be worried that they actually did owe the FAI money and what the FAI have done here is wrong.

Of course we'll never know if Cork were up to date with the FAI or not.

sfc red
02/08/2009, 4:49 PM
Or else you and the others are just looking for something to put down another club down about as usual?
I think a lot of fans would jump around like lunatics if one minute they thought their club was dead and buried and then all of a sudden there was even a glimmer of hope.
Also if you follow shels and not the league why would you call it embarrassing or feel the need to comment on it even?

Still completely missing the point. The clowns don't know what they're celebrating. 'I don't know, who cares'....

sonofstan
02/08/2009, 5:01 PM
According to article by Linda Maher in the SBP, Cork have very little hope of having all the money on the table by Weds. (it'll be online later - will stick link in then)

redobit
02/08/2009, 5:17 PM
The players haven't been paid since the last Wednesday in June, according to the papers.

Well then what the hell are the FAI playing at. Apparently they are looking over our books every 3 weeks or so (maybe some one could clarify that).
What next are the FAI gona become Corks official sponsors, maybe get the FAI crest on the jersey.

Celdrog
02/08/2009, 5:44 PM
Well then what the hell are the FAI playing at. Apparently they are looking over our books every 3 weeks or so (maybe some one could clarify that).
What next are the FAI gona become Corks official sponsors, maybe get the FAI crest on the jersey.They are paid monthly and the last payment was due last week which the players agreed to defer.

tippex
02/08/2009, 7:01 PM
the linda maher article is here http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS+FEATURES-qqqm=nav-qqqid=43468-qqqx=1.asp

DmanDmythDledge
02/08/2009, 7:08 PM
If Cork are up to date with all creditors apart from Revenue then fair play to them. They don't deserve any punishment but I'd be worried that they actually did owe the FAI money and what the FAI have done here is wrong.

Of course we'll never know if Cork were up to date with the FAI or not.
I'd be amazed if they do not owe money to other creditors. Surely the revenue would be the last bill you would leave unpaid, especially given their poor recent history.

higgins
02/08/2009, 7:43 PM
Surely the revenue would be the last bill you would leave unpaid, especially given their poor recent history.

and equally I would imagine the FAI would be one of the first bills unpaid!
So to owe Revenue 436k and to owe the FAI nothing seems unlikely.

Although maybe because of examinership they were not allowed credit with anyone and in a round about way that could save them this time.

It seems a small amount of money to cause a club to go down. It just doesn't add up for me. There must be money coming in to the club. They have the biggest crowds for a start and have been one of the only clubs to get decent fees for players leaving.

Tom seems to be playing some sortof game. If he really thought the Celtic game would pay the remainder he'd have loaned the money himself and recovered it after the game (assuming he has it).

I also believe that others must have known about the problems and must still know about the problems now. They need to speak up and get this guy out.

I know only too well what one man and 100% ownership can do to a club :mad:

dcfcsteve
02/08/2009, 8:32 PM

That's just what Cork need to solve their problems- putting more players on the wage bill........! :eek:

John83
02/08/2009, 8:43 PM
What next are the FAI gona become Corks official sponsors, maybe get the FAI crest on the jersey.
They check the books once a month to see how the clubs are shaping up for meeting the 65% rule at the end of the season. If they're way off, they can choose to impose a transfer embargo.

Cork seem to have been paid up on wages until the players took a voluntary deferral of wages on Thursday to help the club's attempts to survive their court appearance.

I'm all for criticising the FAI, and I don't think their financial monitoring has been adequate, but get your facts straight.

tiktok
02/08/2009, 9:43 PM
I'd be amazed if they do not owe money to other creditors. Surely the revenue would be the last bill you would leave unpaid, especially given their poor recent history.

There are other creditors besides the revenue, but it's not that bad.
The advantage of going into examinership last season has been that no-one has been willing to offer us credit, so we're finding it hard to rack up debt, bar with the revenue and the people who work for the club.

punkrocket
03/08/2009, 1:37 PM
Still completely missing the point. The clowns don't know what they're celebrating. 'I don't know, who cares'....

Ah leave the wee lads alone. I've been to matches where, having felt the sudden urge to miss a goal completely for reasons not well understood ( should pay more attention, I know), found myself jumping up and down with all the other lunatics. You can always get filled in on the details later.

micls
03/08/2009, 3:10 PM

No, you're completely missing the point.

They knew we hadnt been wound up, they didnt know exactly how.

That's what their celebrating.If you think for a second you wouldn't celebrate hearing you havent been wound up, hours after hearing you would be, even if you didnt know the exact details then you're delusional.

sfc red
03/08/2009, 3:55 PM
No, you're completely missing the point.

They knew we hadnt been wound up, they didnt know exactly how.

That's what their celebrating.If you think for a second you wouldn't celebrate hearing you havent been wound up, hours after hearing you would be, even if you didnt know the exact details then you're delusional.

I don't believe that for a second. I can guarantee you that in a similar situation, I'd ask what I was celebrating before I'd jump around like a goon for 3 or 4 minutes before finally asking "what actually happened?". Although your man isn't as bad as the "I don't know, who cares" mong.

micls
03/08/2009, 4:51 PM
I don't believe that for a second. I can guarantee you that in a similar situation, I'd ask what I was celebrating before I'd jump around like a goon for 3 or 4 minutes before finally asking "what actually happened?". Although your man isn't as bad as the "I don't know, who cares" mong.

I don't care what you believe. I was there. I know exactly what happened and what the lads were told.

For the last time, THEY WERE CELEBRATING US NOT BEING WOUND UP, as was announced by us, the FORAS reps, who were there. They trust us not to wind them up.

What they didnt know, and didnt care at that moment, was how exactly we werent wound up, something many fans even at the ground that night werent sure of.