PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

Hairy Bowsie
15/02/2010, 5:27 PM
How are those things the FAI's fault?

Clubs have to wait how long extra? Only a couple of hours at this stage and the latest rumour, which you seem to be basing a lot of your opinions on, is that they will be released tonight. I'm sure they will get over a wait of a few hours. The final licensing deadline is today, what's the problem with the licenses aren't officially announced until today?

Nevertheless, clubs have been told themselves whether their license applications have been successful or not in advance. The only club that could be in any way inconvenienced is Bray but presumably they have been told that they have been awarded a Premier Division license. Given that it's been said on here that their budget will be the same whatever division their in people are overreacting as to how much this "delay" is effecting them.

Nobody is overreacting of how much this is effecting them. Cork's fate today (or when it is decided) is linked with that of the LoI's fate as a whole because it could be the death knell for football in this country.

RĂ©iteoir
15/02/2010, 5:30 PM
Getting slightly sick of these constant delays - how many last chances do certain clubs get?

Battery Rover
15/02/2010, 5:31 PM
Its 6:30 pm. I can't remember the licence announcements being completely unannounced by now ever, thats an unofficial extension in itself. Are we going to wait the whole day until Cork decide if they can sort their finances out?

It is always late evening or the following morning like last season.

CSFShels
15/02/2010, 5:32 PM
I'm pretty sure thats not the case.

Doomofman
15/02/2010, 5:33 PM

Last season it was announced around 3...

CSFShels
15/02/2010, 5:35 PM
Which has always been the case for us at least. Other clubs may be slower to release the information, this time no1 has, because its all being held up to accomodate the Corkies.

Mr A
15/02/2010, 5:35 PM
I can't believe all the petty bluster on here. Cork City are an example to us all and indeed should be praised for their incredible community spirit.

After all, what other club, knowing that there are thousands of unemployed solicitors in the country, has launched a single minded campaign to resuscitate the ailing legal profession?

Shame on you all for casting doubt upon their selfless escapades.

micls
15/02/2010, 5:37 PM
Deal has been signed by Tom:

Statement on the future of Cork City FC-
15th February 2010 – Quintas Group, on behalf of Peter Gray, Michael O’Connel and FORAS, the Cork City Supporters Trust, can confirm that a signed share purchase agreement has been received from the current owners of Cork City FC.
The group is now in the process of verifying the figures supplied by the current owners of Cork City FC to ensure that the current net liabilities of the club are consistent with what has been presented.
This agreement is also contingent on the FAI approving a Premier Division licence for the coming season.

WoodquayBoy
15/02/2010, 5:38 PM
The latest:
Statement on the future of Cork City FC
15th February 2010 – Quintas Group, on behalf of Peter Gray, Michael O’Connel and FORAS, the Cork City Supporters Trust, can confirm that a signed share purchase agreement has been received from the current owners of Cork City FC.
The group is now in the process of verifying the figures supplied by the current owners of Cork City FC to ensure that the current net liabilities of the club are consistent with what has been presented.
This agreement is also contingent on the FAI approving a Premier Division licence for the coming season.

So they'll only take over if granted a Premier Division licence? This just gets better and better

CSFShels

Goodbye league.

Doomofman

Shouldn't be given a license at all... So deal means nothing yet...

Longfordian
Giving them plenty of practice alright, not so sure the financial rewards will be forthcoming. Tom's array of barristers used to date would suggest not.

Hairy Bowsie
15/02/2010, 5:40 PM
TNB is scum but Gray and O'Connor, for this attempted blackmail are just as scummy.

Doomofman
15/02/2010, 5:41 PM
TNB is scum but Gray and O'Connor, for this attempted blackmail are just as scummy.

Have to agree.... The FAI should take an even harder stance for them trying to force their hand like that

Mr A
15/02/2010, 5:41 PM
So the offer is contingent on the license and if there is to be a license it'll most likely be contingent on the offer.

Nice.

Edit: Ooooh- Post 5000! Go me!

Longfordian
15/02/2010, 5:44 PM
The FAI should but alas won't tell the lot of them where to go. Give FORAS their First Divison licence.

eelmonster
15/02/2010, 5:45 PM
I'm sick of this, I just can't take any more.

License is a verb, the Independent Licensing Committee issue clubs with licences.

weecountyman
15/02/2010, 5:46 PM

Does this mean they won't go ahead with the purchase if the they don't get a Premier licence? If so, this is another case of the unethical taking over from the unethical in a sense. I'm sorry, I want FORAS to suceed, the vast majority of Cork supporters I've ever met are true sports fans and deserve to have a club worth fighting for. But this is holding the FAI to ransom, and making a complete mockery of fair play.

If there was true love for the club they'd take over no matter what - but.....I do agree in one sense, a business sense. Taking on debts for the sake of a name is nuts, they could do so much with the wasted money by having Cork FC enter the 1st division, if allowed.

HammerNThongs
15/02/2010, 5:47 PM
To be fair to Gray and O Connell...that was the deal that was proposed as of Friday night. The FAI were perfectly aware that they may have had to make this decision. They can still not give the license and grant the First Division one instead if they want.

OneRedArmy
15/02/2010, 5:47 PM
Nobody is overreacting of how much this is effecting them. Cork's fate today (or when it is decided) is linked with that of the LoI's fate as a whole because it could be the death knell for football in this country.Wanna bet?

Hairy Bowsie
15/02/2010, 5:51 PM
Wanna bet?

I did say could, so it would be hard to gauge.

SkStu
15/02/2010, 5:52 PM
the decision from the FAI over this license will speak loads on the future of this league - will they have the cojones and integrity to follow and apply their rules and deny Cork City a license?

I doubt it to be honest.

placid casual
15/02/2010, 5:54 PM
the only thing i can say is :
http://http://www.athlone.ie/athlonedirectory/images/joke_shop.jpg

Doomofman
15/02/2010, 5:54 PM
the decision from the FAI over this license will speak loads on the future of this league - will they have the cojones and integrity to follow and apply their rules and deny Cork City a license?

I doubt it to be honest.
Same... I'm fully expecting Cork to get a premier licence

Longfordian
15/02/2010, 5:56 PM
Why should any of the chosen clubs respect their deadlines ever again if they do give in and give the Premier Licence?. We were told in no uncertain terms what would happen if we missed the deadline of 29th January and it certainly wasn't "ah well dont worry about it sure you might get it in before the committee meets will you?. No? Well shortly after that maybe if you can?"

CSFShels
15/02/2010, 5:58 PM
Not a huge amount of point in the FAI spending any money on marketing for the league at this point. No amount could atone for the amateur look we've given to outsiders with the publicity surrounding all of this.

weecountyman
15/02/2010, 5:59 PM
To be fair to Gray and O Connell...that was the deal that was proposed as of Friday night. The FAI were perfectly aware that they may have had to make this decision. They can still not give the license and grant the First Division one instead if they want.

I agree that they're "following orders" and why not, they'll lose their shirts and spend the next 5 years struggling (possibly flirting with bankruptcy again) if they go down to the First, but even going up to the Premier they're going to have a relegation battle on their hands and a lot of ill will from other camps. Is there any indication of what will happen if the Premier licence isn't granted? Obviously then the deal goes south, but FORAS won't get the chance for a 1st Division licence then, or what is the case?

Doomofman
15/02/2010, 6:00 PM
I assume if FORAS are eligible for a 1st Div licence they'll get it irrespective of what happens with CCFC

Celdrog
15/02/2010, 6:05 PM
Why should any of the chosen clubs respect their deadlines ever again if they do give in and give the Premier Licence?. We were told in no uncertain terms what would happen if we missed the deadline of 29th January and it certainly wasn't "ah well dont worry about it sure you might get it in before the committee meets will you?. No? Well shortly after that maybe if you can?"Agree with that.
However the FAI have posibly created a loophole for Cork by the wording in the licensing manual
No payables overdue towards employees and revenue/social/tax authorities
The licence applicant must prove that, in respect of contractual and legal obligations with its employees, it has no payables overdue towards employees or revenue/social/tax authorities as at 30 November of the year preceding the season to be licensed, unless by the following 21 December they have been fully settled, deferred by mutual agreement with the creditor or are subject to a not obviously unfounded dispute submitted to a competent authority.Their own rules may force them to give a premier license.

Doomofman
15/02/2010, 6:08 PM
That does suggest the FAI have an easy way out...

Longfordian
15/02/2010, 6:10 PM
Ah they'll do what they want to do anyway, but there's more than enough other outstanding payments to employees with no agreement entered into whatsoever to hang them if the rules were being applied. Not to mention the 65% rule.

Celdrog
15/02/2010, 6:16 PM
As of yet, we are still waiting to be officially told which licence (if any) we have got.

Doomofman
15/02/2010, 6:17 PM
I wonder if the delay is actually because of the Cork situation

HammerNThongs
15/02/2010, 6:19 PM
I assume if FORAS are eligible for a 1st Div licence they'll get it irrespective of what happens with CCFC

Thats exactly what will happen.

I do agree that no matter what division we go in, it will be tough. I have no illusions of winning the First at all, but I think with the likes of McNulty and Lordan and if we can persuade Hoggy to come back part time, then we will have an ok First Division side that should stay lower mid table and build from there. The Premier will be an unmerciful slog where we do face a very real chance of going straight down.

LukeO
15/02/2010, 6:23 PM
Thats exactly what will happen.

I do agree that no matter what division we go in, it will be tough. I have no illusions of winning the First at all, but I think with the likes of McNulty and Lordan and if we can persuade Hoggy to come back part time, then we will have an ok First Division side that should stay lower mid table and build from there. The Premier will be an unmerciful slog where we do face a very real chance of going straight down.

Not if you keep Roddy - he's never been relegated.

HammerNThongs
15/02/2010, 6:37 PM

Ah c'mon now...this isnt Roddys first rodeo....he'll jump ship in August when we're 15 points adrift at the bottom of the table

weecountyman
15/02/2010, 6:38 PM

In fairness if he cops himself on he could be the perfect manager to keep a team in the Premier, getting out of the first I don't know. But no matter what he'd disappear by mid-summer citing personal reasons, then slating his employers and running amok in the media, before becoming the TV3 leading pundit.

By the way, Floriana held a media conference in Floriana this evening, related to the whole debacle in Ireland. Should be something on the wires soon if they've released a statement. Or on local football media.

Hammer and thongs - I think you've overestimated, he'll go before August, midsummer madness and all that :-)

yiddo
15/02/2010, 6:52 PM
In fairness if he cops himself on he could be the perfect manager to keep a team in the Premier, getting out of the first I don't know. But no matter what he'd disappear by mid-summer citing personal reasons, then slating his employers and running amok in the media, before becoming the TV3 leading pundit.

By the way, Floriana held a media conference in Floriana this evening, related to the whole debacle in Ireland. Should be something on the wires soon if they've released a statement. Or on local football media.

Hammer and thongs - I think you've overestimated, he'll go before August, midsummer madness and all that :-)

roddy won''t start the season with ccfc in either he prem or div1. he burned his bridges afer all his crap about murray and murphy last week.

HammerNThongs
15/02/2010, 6:56 PM

Hahaa..probably. I completely disagree with your first point though. There is a reason he has had to get media work and the only managers job he got was abroad. No one in this league wants him.

danthesaint
15/02/2010, 7:17 PM
How are those things the FAI's fault?

Clubs have to wait how long extra? Only a couple of hours at this stage and the latest rumour, which you seem to be basing a lot of your opinions on, is that they will be released tonight. I'm sure they will get over a wait of a few hours. The final licensing deadline is today, what's the problem with the licenses aren't officially announced until today?

Nevertheless, clubs have been told themselves whether their license applications have been successful or not in advance. The only club that could be in any way inconvenienced is Bray but presumably they have been told that they have been awarded a Premier Division license. Given that it's been said on here that their budget will be the same whatever division their in people are overreacting as to how much this "delay" is effecting them.

listen........... what other league do you know doestn know who will be playing in the premier division or first division or doesnt have fixtures done out for the season campaign 2 weeks before its due to start

Dodge
15/02/2010, 7:24 PM
Not a huge amount of point in the FAI spending any money on marketing for the league at this point. No amount could atone for the amateur look we've given to outsiders with the publicity surrounding all of this.

Most outiders don't know about it, and the majority of those who do, don't care

CSFShels
15/02/2010, 7:24 PM
Most outiders don't know about it, and the majority of those who do, don't care
Its gotten more media coverage than you'd think, if you watch the news, you know about it.

Dodge
15/02/2010, 7:29 PM
Its noticeable because we're looking for it. I read all appers in the morning, and even if mentioned its a small piece on a page with other (apparently more pressing) sports news

I judge things on whether people in work ask me about it (knowing I@m a LOI man). None have yet

Its sad, as it was a UK club there'd be wall to wall stuff

Doomofman
15/02/2010, 7:30 PM
The Independent Club Licensing Committee has deferred its decision on Cork City until after the High Court case comes in for mention on Monday, February 22nd next.

In making its decision, the Independent Club Licensing Committee noted that one of the fundamental principles of club licensing is the protection of creditors such as club employees, other clubs and the Revenue.

The Independent Club Licensing Committee was made aware of a potential takeover which may result in commitments to creditors being honoured. As this takeover is dependent on the outcome of the High Court order, the Independent Committee felt it prudent to await that outcome and give maximum opportunity for creditors to be paid.

The application from FORAS has been deferred pending the outcome of the Cork City decision.

What a joke

Kildareman
15/02/2010, 7:30 PM
They're not going to. They're going to (have to, in fact) pay CCIFL the money.

Tom can't take that money and run without having to pay tax on it as earnings. And even then, he'd get sued for giving himself a bonus when there were large creditors in the company.

But whats to stop Tom paying back on a directors loan? His own.
He wouldnt even have to pay tax on it.

Dodge
15/02/2010, 7:33 PM
Right, can't defend them anymore

Feel fre to unleash whatever fury you like on the "ndependent" licensing committee

John83
15/02/2010, 7:33 PM
But whats to stop Tom paying back on a directors loan? His own.
He wouldnt even have to pay tax on it.
Paying back a director's loan with a winding up order from Revenue dangling over you? You really think that's never been tried before? And that's assuming that he's actually put money into the club.

Doomofman
15/02/2010, 7:35 PM
I think I've found an appropriate word for the FAI/Licensing Committee's antics.... Disgusting

Battery Rover
15/02/2010, 7:36 PM
Someone can correct this if wrong but directors loans can only be claimed back if the club is in profit. Declarations have to be signed honouring this as part of the audited accounts as far as I know.

John83
15/02/2010, 7:38 PM
I think I've found an appropriate word for the FAI/Licensing Committee's antics.... Disgusting
Spineless? Short-sighted? Ridiculous? There's no shortage of appropriate words.