PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

pineapple stu
08/01/2010, 9:18 AM
Doesn't Mathews hate Coughlan? Imagine any move by him is designed to screw TNB over if so.

You submitted a plan to the FAI that said you would pay €12,000 per week in wages.
The FAI sign off on all contracts ?

Why did they let cork go up to €35,000 per week at one stage?
All payments over the table?

The FAI are as much to blame as Cork if they only agreed to 12k in the pre season budget.
Presumably they didn't go over 65% until the season started, at which point they had a transfer embargo slapped on them. FAI logic.

corkboy360
08/01/2010, 10:47 AM
Anyone else feel like Cork is a lame horse at this stage? Should be taken out of it's misery...
So should all junkies:D

dcfcsteve
08/01/2010, 11:14 AM
If we cast our collective minds back to when Roddy went to Floriana, there were many people on here advising their fans that Collins was trouble and shouldn't be touched with a barge pole.

They only have themselves to blame therefore. The stench that follows Collins is so bad that you'd have thought people would have learned to give him a wide berth by now.

The man needs chasing out of Ireland, never mind Irish football.

bennocelt
08/01/2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah def agree, a little hard to feel that sorry for any club that would give him a job - did could have saved themselves an awful lot of money and grief if they only asked any LOI fan

razor
08/01/2010, 11:37 AM
They only have themselves to blame therefore. The stench that follows Collins is so bad that you'd have thought people would have learned to give him a wide berth by now.

The man needs chasing out of Ireland, never mind Irish football.
Completely agree, if any Cork City fan had a say in the manner of his appointment then i'm sure we may have escaped the reign of Roddy the Plasterer but it was Coughlans call, birds of a feather....

In fact Tom and Shoddy are like Siamese twins about Cork at the moment, seen in the Boardwalk restaurant yesterday lunchtime at a sports awards event and then later at Nemo Rangers complex, possibly sussing out a place to train now we've been locked out of Bishopstown.

weecountyman
08/01/2010, 12:26 PM
It's easy to slam a club for hiring a manager and giving him a second chance. The fact remains that the man, Roddy, is a decent coach and good motivator, he got a mid-table team firing and unfortunately had a personal falling out with one one bad egg in Malta, and after that it seems things weren't completely rosy.

To say Cork fans didn't have a say in appointing the manager is true, but it remains to be seen whether there will be any crowds, any sponsors and any protests against the appointment. It's often that no matter how objectionable a manager is, if he's winning, he's tolerated, if not, then he's out.

Apparently Cork are going to pay compensation to get "their man".

Longfordian
08/01/2010, 1:07 PM
Doesn't Mathews hate Coughlan? Imagine any move by him is designed to screw TNB over if so.

Presumably they didn't go over 65% until the season started, at which point they had a transfer embargo slapped on them. FAI logic.

Yep, hates him with a passion. Anything he could do to screw him over I'd say he'd do it, unless he's had a religious experience lately.

bennocelt
08/01/2010, 1:14 PM
It's easy to slam a club for hiring a manager and giving him a second chance. The fact remains that the man, Roddy, is a decent coach and good motivator, he got a mid-table team firing and unfortunately had a personal falling out with one one bad egg in Malta, and after that it seems things weren't completely rosy.

To say Cork fans didn't have a say in appointing the manager is true, but it remains to be seen whether there will be any crowds, any sponsors and any protests against the appointment. It's often that no matter how objectionable a manager is, if he's winning, he's tolerated, if not, then he's out.

Question - would you like him to manage your team?

weecountyman
08/01/2010, 1:24 PM
Benno, he played for my team and this year I was certain he was going to take over but instead we got the Galway boss. Now while I do respect Roddy's achievements (relatively) on the field, his recent attitude and behaviour really is disgusting. So when he was first mentioned in relation to Dundalk I thought, hmm, would this be a total disaster (remember we've just had Sean "drop the shorts" Connor) or might he actually do a half decent job. But now, not a chance! You figure someone might mature or cop on after being blacklisted for so long, instead he seems to have made an even bigger victim of himself and more reasons why nobody wants him.

So, long story short :-) when Sean Connor left, I'd have been willing to give him the chance, now, no way in hell!

Schumi
08/01/2010, 1:55 PM

Good luck with that.

razor
08/01/2010, 2:24 PM
Apparently Cork are going to pay compensation to get "their man".Let me guess, by cheque? :D

Hairy Bowsie
08/01/2010, 2:34 PM
I'd be genuinely interested to know what are the odds that Cork City will be playing Premier football this year?

Sam_Heggy
08/01/2010, 2:40 PM

You sir, just made my day.

Roddy has had chances galore and leaves a stream of ill feeling behind everywhere he goes. Bohs (looking for huge money), Carlisle (sacked twice in 18 months), Dublin City (only 4 months there and jumped ship, although there is no-one left from there to hate him), Rovers (remember the charity boxing), Florina and now before a ball is even kicked Cork fans hate him.

He has a personal fall-out with someone at every club he has been at.

If Flora pro-active do get relegated, does that count as Roddy managing a team to relegation?

Sam_Heggy
08/01/2010, 2:41 PM
I'd be genuinely interested to know what are the odds that Cork City will be playing Premier football this year?

1/1,000,000 I would guess.

What are the odds on the current set up being part of the LOI at all for 2010 season?

osarusan
08/01/2010, 3:05 PM
I
It's often that no matter how objectionable a manager is, if he's winning, he's tolerated, if not, then he's out.

I honestly don't believe Collins will manage Cork for even one game.

weecountyman
08/01/2010, 4:23 PM
You sir, just made my day.

Roddy has had chances galore and leaves a stream of ill feeling behind everywhere he goes. Bohs (looking for huge money), Carlisle (sacked twice in 18 months), Dublin City (only 4 months there and jumped ship, although there is no-one left from there to hate him), Rovers (remember the charity boxing), Florina and now before a ball is even kicked Cork fans hate him.

He has a personal fall-out with someone at every club he has been at.

If Flora pro-active do get relegated, does that count as Roddy managing a team to relegation?

It does seem a common theme "an individual" causing problems for Roddy, he used the same against Floriana but not the actual person he originally fell out with as he was using him to get info on what the club were doing (this person was named and shamed in the Maltese papers).

If Floriana do get relegated, which is almost impossible to imagine, Roddy won't have gotten them relegated - he never makes mistakes and it's never his fault. Remember when he ran away the club were in 5th and unbeaten in 7 games, of course the fact that he'd been telling players not to sign and tapping up players to go with him won't be of any concern, because it's the truth. But the fact remains, he won't have been in charge for relegation - however, with Cork...... :(

sheao
08/01/2010, 10:55 PM
Let me guess, by cheque? :D

Never fear, Tommy will always find a way to come up with the money :p . He has a track record of doing so.

weecountyman
09/01/2010, 6:57 AM
Sorry Shoddy - Collins apologises to Floriana

Special by Kevin Muscat for Malta Today Weekend

The 2nd most talked about coach in Malta this season last night apologised to his employers, the Floriana Irish, for his false statements in the media. "

Only the 2nd most talked about?? Who on earth is the first?

LeixlipRed
09/01/2010, 11:14 AM
There's someone worse than Roddy? *shivers*

weecountyman
09/01/2010, 7:50 PM
Taken from Malta Today, em, today www.maltatoday.com (http://www.maltatoday.com) - em comes out in paper form on Sundays (just found out)

Sorry Shoddy - Collins apologises to Floriana

Special by Kevin Muscat for Malta Today Weekend-
The 2nd most talked about coach in Malta this season last night apologised to his employers, the Floriana Irish, for his false statements in the media. "Shoddy" Roddy Collins, better known for his outlandish garb and tight tracksuit, retracted his statements made on numerous radio stations and in newspapers, most notably on Ireland's newstalk radio (where he is a paid pundit). Collins ran like the wind from the Hibs ground on the 13th of December last year in order to make a meeting with the owner of Cork City F.C.. Collins was claiming to be a free agent yet at the same time was negotiating a 2 year extension to his existing Maltese deal. On the 14th he agreed to join Cork (upon presentation of his letter of termination) and it wasn't until the 16th that Collins emailed his resignation offer to Floriana, this after already admitting he was about to take over Cork's vacant job.

The saga took a number of twists and turns with the Irishman badgering the Irish to sign a free release so that he could take up the Cork job and when pleading didn't work he began to make threats, which he made good on by slandering the club in the media. For a change the Floriana committee stood firm and saw Shoddy announced as the new Cork boss on the 23rd. The Greens made good on their promise to pursue matters and a court letter to Collins shocked the Irishman into admitting he had lied and apologising for "being misquoted". He went on, in communication with the committee, to apologise for the hurt his words and actions had caused and hoped "to remain a friend of the club". He admitted that he had been paid up to date and that Floriana had worked very hard to fulfil their obligations to him, and that until he left he had done the same.

Acting President Cauchi was unavailable tonight for comment and it has been said that Floriana and Cork are now in contact regarding a compensation settlement that should be concluded on Monday. Whether Cork City and their colourful owner, Thomas Coughlan, will be in a position to pay remains unknown, as does their league status and licence. A close friend of Roddy spoke with this reporter regarding the retraction and apology. "He (Collins) hopes that this will bring an end to the conflict as he was only acting in his family's best interests. Malta was too far away and he was desperate to get home to them. I hope Floriana will accept this as Roddy is really sorry for going so far." -In the colourful history of this difficult character it remains to be seen whether he will find a home in Cork or leave because of another individual before the seasons end. Collins may have brought colour to the BOV, but right now Floriana would prefer points to media exposure in their battle to get back into the Championship Pool.+The 2nd most talked about coach in Malta this season last night apologised to his employers, the Floriana Irish, for his false statements in the media. "[/QUOTE]

weecountyman
09/01/2010, 7:52 PM
Pauro and Leixlip, the most talked about coach is the Valletta guy (who applied, along with Roddy) for the Pats job after Jeff Kenna. He seems almost as modest as Roddy and supposedly buys his gear from a Dutch tailor called Louis van Coopeland (no relation). :-)

razor
09/01/2010, 9:06 PM
Heard an interview with Shoddy on RedFM tonight, refused point blank to answer any questions on Floriana and proceeded to spout his usual diatribe ad nauseum. He's some langer.

weecountyman
09/01/2010, 9:19 PM
Heard an interview with Shoddy on RedFM tonight, refused point blank to answer any questions on Floriana and proceeded to spout his usual diatribe ad nauseum. He's some langer.

In fairness I don't think he can answer any questions on them because he'd be destroyed. I think his answer will only be "my legal people are dealing with it" which means "I can't talk anymore about or or the wife will bash me" :D

What was his main line of patter, about the greatness of Cork City FC and how he'll mould them in his own image?

LeixlipRed
10/01/2010, 12:23 AM
Outlandish garb and tight tracksuit? I heart Malta

tiktok
10/01/2010, 9:50 AM
Gareth Farrelly and Paul Doolin were both on 'Now that's what I call Sport' on Dublin's 98fm earlier this morning. Criticised Tom Coughlan, Alan Mathews and new GM Liam Meaney as they made it quite clear they're still owed a large amount of money ahead of the licencing deadline.

They said it will be podcast later, here somewhere I assume http://www.dublins98.ie/

Farrelly's story was amazing, not only what he went through healthwise but what he's gone through since in the financial back and forth with CCFC. He confirmed he was offers the City Manager job when Doolin left.

Assuming all they said is true it means the club still hasn't answered outstanding payments to former players and staff that was due Dec 21st. Tom Coughlan being allowed tonfudge through a licence is looking less and less likely.

passerrby
10/01/2010, 10:05 AM
assuming tnb is not a complete idiot and has some idea about what he is doing how on gods green earth does he expect to get a licence .what is he up to. i mean if he set out to destroy cork city he could not have done a better job

razor
10/01/2010, 3:40 PM
What was his main line of patter, about the greatness of Cork City FC and how he'll mould them in his own image?About how he is the man and Cork is a great club, blah de blah de blah then throwing in a large slice of Georgie to try and win back the Ocaliban, (it already has the usual pities on our forum salivating at the mouth) and then an attempt at peacemaker, saying we should put all previous issues with Tom aside and unite in the name of city.

Quote of the interview was when he tried to play dumb to all our troubles saying "I've come in here, innocent". :eek:
I nearly choked on my tea.

Tom Coughlan being allowed tonfudge through a licence is looking less and less likely.If we get a licence i'll be sending a box of this (http://www.butlerschocolates.com/irish-chocolate-gift/Butlers-Jameson-Fudge-(250g)/96.htm) to Abbottstown.

brianw82
10/01/2010, 3:46 PM
If we get a licence i'll be sending a box of this (http://www.butlerschocolates.com/irish-chocolate-gift/Butlers-Jameson-Fudge-%28250g%29/96.htm) to Abbottstown.

Butlers' fudge is quality.

Surely you could find a Tesco value box of it?

tiktok
10/01/2010, 3:53 PM
Ocaliban

That could catch on! :D

yiddo
10/01/2010, 4:12 PM
That could catch on! :D

catch on? It's been around since the days of the "RF" "RP" and the late lamented "BRB"

You'll have to pay more attention in class :D ;)

weecountyman
10/01/2010, 5:10 PM
About how he is the man and Cork is a great club, blah de blah de blah then throwing in a large slice of Georgie to try and win back the Ocaliban, (it already has the usual pities on our forum salivating at the mouth) and then an attempt at peacemaker, saying we should put all previous issues with Tom aside and unite in the name of city.

Quote of the interview was when he tried to play dumb to all our troubles saying "I've come in here, innocent". :eek:
I nearly choked on my tea.

If we get a licence i'll be sending a box of this (http://www.butlerschocolates.com/irish-chocolate-gift/Butlers-Jameson-Fudge-(250g)/96.htm) to Abbottstown.

I think he says that at every club.

The "innocent" bit he tried on Newstalk, if anyone heard him. He started slandering Floriana and they let him get up a head of steam until HE not only hadn't been paid in 8 weeks, been left penniless on the street, without a car and mobile phone (kind of jarred with the fact that the club were flying him back and forward for games, him staying in a 5-star luxury hotel free of charge and being given a car for the time he was in Malta, plus a thousand quid a week- surely he'd have just jacked it in right away). But then the players hadn't been paid all season, none of them! And that this was the reason he had left.

At which point texters then questioned why he was going to a club that hadn't paid players or staff either. His answer "That's nothing to do with me. It's not relevant." I didn't know whether to admire the man for having a neck of such metallurgic value, cry with laughter, or call Grangegorman to reserve a giant ego sized padded cell!

By the way, Floriana managed to stop the rot with a 1-1 draw and got back into 6th place, but they now have 3 more injuries to deal with and only 12 fit players to choose from, 4 of those being under-18.

tiktok
11/01/2010, 8:22 AM
I thought a point made by weecountman on another thread re: the effect of a Boycott and Roddy was worth dragging in here. Also, it was easier to copy my reply than start tyoing again. Think the boycott debate is worth including here.

By the way, Roddy told RedFM that Cork City have excellent training facilities. If anyone knows where these are, answers on a postcard to
Confused,
Outside Turner's Cross with a Placard,
Cork.

If they manage to spoof a few good players into the club, and they get a good run going in the league (whichever one they're in) then expect a semblance of decent crowds turning out. And if they're in the Premier and get a good start, wherever they end up playing wil be 75% full. Football fans are relatively fickle and I have a strange (or is that sick) feeling that Cork fans will be chanting Roddy's name by the end of the season, or before he does a legger for the Man U job:D

I think this is accurate enough to be honest.

As much as Tom Coughlan's name is mud in and around Cork City, the Great Cork Sporting Public (TM) will drag their backsides onto any bandwagon they see gathering pace. If we get a Premier Division licence, Roddy brings back George O'Callaghan, Liam Kearney back, hangs onto Danny Murphy, Dan Murray, Billy Dennehy then people will attend. If we're challenging, numbers will grow and the games against Rovers and Bohs will bring out large crowds.

The attendances towards the end of last season were in the 1200-1700 range, this was buoyed significantly by those people who had season tickets in their pockets [whether they were intending to renew or not] and for the last month, those who were getting in free [and trading to get in free] with the An Post vouchers. The numbers we were getting on the gates did not translate into gate takings, we were brining in a pittance.

I think you'll see a sizeable fall off in season tickets this season, though they've put a good package together, and there's a large chunk of the hardcore that won't come back while Tom Coughlan is around. But we had 5,500 against Bohs last season for one match, so there really is a swing of about 3-4,000 people who'll turn up if the weather is nice and if there's nothing else on and there's a bit of a buzz around.

If Roddy can get a bit of a bandwagon rolling, which his bluster is capable of doing, as Dolan's was, then the club should be able to maintain 2,500 through the gates once they're challenging [if they've based their budgets on a crowd of more than that, they're nuts].

The problem the club will have is if it doesn't click and they can't attract the bandwagon contingent. The number of people who would usually be there regardless [I count myself among those] which I reckon was always about 1500-2000 has been decimated. If the club doesn't start the league well, there are off-field problems reported, I think we'll dip into three figures for a league game, something I don't think has happened since the whole Bishopstown fiasco.

weecountyman
11/01/2010, 9:10 AM
I thought a point made by weecountman on another thread re: the effect of a Boycott and Roddy was worth dragging in here. Also, it was easier to copy my reply than start tyoing again. Think the boycott debate is worth including here.

By the way, Roddy told RedFM that Cork City have excellent training facilities. If anyone knows where these are, answers on a postcard to
Confused,
Outside Turner's Cross with a Placard,
Cork.

This must come out of his original false claim that training facilities in Malta were "attrocious" and "non-existent". He apologised for that and admitted that Floriana's facilities "were no worse than what we have in Ireland", but this mealy mouthed apology was a bit odd when the players went for pre-match meals at a 5-star hotel, and recovery training at another 5-star hotel gym and spa. Where are the Cork boys training right now? I presume pre-season is back on.

tiktok
11/01/2010, 9:34 AM
Where are the Cork boys training right now? I presume pre-season is back on.

I think pre-season training starts next weekend.

I'm not sure where it's going to take place, my understanding is that we've been locked out of Bishopstown [though that could have been sorted out, I'm not sure]. There's the added complication that Cork City don't really get credit anymore, so I'd imagine we'd have to pay up front if we were renting facilities from a local soccer or GAA club?

The other question there of course is who's going to show up?
I think we only have 5 contracted players, who I believe are still owed wages for December. There's rumours around Cork that Roddy is only interested in hanging onto 1 of those 5 contracted players as well, it's very strange.

Also, through last year our underage structure was particularly badly treated and we've lost a lot of young players, some very promising, some less so [but all were at the club for a reason]. How many of our underage and u20/A Championship squads there is to draw from is uncertain.

Of course some couldn't care less about the underage set-up and once they see 11 senior players paid they don't place any value on a youth structure [or looking 3/4 years ito the future even]. Though they're generally morons best ignored, anyone with half a brain would recognise the importance, especially so in LoI, of maintaining a stream of quality young players coming through.

It's a shame our own has fallen so low when you look at a list of the players in the past 6/7 years who have come through CCFC [or who were "reborn" here after coming back at a young age] and are now playing full time professional football in the UK. Many of those transfers brought in much needed money at much needed times in the past.

Damien Delaney [Capped Senior International]
Alan Bennett [Capped Senior International]
Kevin Doyle [Capped Senior International]
Shane Long [Capped Senior International]
Joe Gamble [Capped Senior International]
David Meyler [Premiership starts this season]
Roy O'Donovan
John O'Flynn
Denis Behan
Leon McSweeney
Brian Barry Murphy
Colin Healy even

weecountyman
11/01/2010, 9:45 AM
For the interest of Cork fans from In Nazzjon newspaper: http://www.nazzjon.com.mt/

Collins signed "In good faith" by Paul Agius

Cork City F.C. of Cork, Ireland signed Roddy Collins "in good faith" because he 1. told them he was "a free agent" and 2. he signed a legal affadavit to state the same. Collins apologised to Floriana F.C.'s committee, players and fans on Friday as the deadline fell on him to do so. The dirty way he spoke of the club he retracted, saying he was angry the club were being so tough with him. Tough with him for demanding he honour his contract and to leave deserved the club compensation.

Cork are to return with compensation for Floriana F.C under pressure from the F.A.I., failure will mean relegation and Collins ban from football. On NetTV President Joe Cauchi said Collins retraction and apology was "appreciated", Floriana have to receive compensation in the region of €28,000 to release Collins. In a personal interview with a Maltese newspaper Collins, now in Ireland, said "The club were very good to me, I owe them alot. I have no problem with anyone there, they were great. I have to look after my family and Cork does this and gets me back to where I want to be, the League of Ireland." On his allegations "I was angry and misquoted, sure I wouldn't have been in Malta if I wasn't getting paid right. They paid me right, they helped me out and understood my situation. I didn't mean what I said and I'm sorry it caused hurt to the club and people involved. I only wish them the best and maybe I cna go back there to manage them one day."

The story now hinges on if Cork meet their compensation deadline and it is accepted by Floriana. Cauchi said, "We're very reasonable, I and my Board colleagues have worked very hard and we only want fair play. Mister Liam Meaney was very good in his manners and I believe we will get the compensation we deserve." Cork were unavailable for comment last night.

Forgot to add, the photo's shown were Roddy holding a Floriana shirt and one holding a Cork scarf, same smile, same look everything.

weecountyman
11/01/2010, 9:50 AM
I think pre-season training starts next weekend.

I'm not sure where it's going to take place, my understanding is that we've been locked out of Bishopstown [though that could have been sorted out, I'm not sure]. There's the added complication that Cork City don't really get credit anymore, so I'd imagine we'd have to pay up front if we were renting facilities from a local soccer or GAA club?

The other question there of course is who's going to show up?
I think we only have 5 contracted players, who I believe are still owed wages for December. There's rumours around Cork that Roddy is only interested in hanging onto 1 of those 5 contracted players as well, it's very strange.

Also, through last year our underage structure was particularly badly treated and we've lost a lot of young players, some very promising, some less so [but all were at the club for a reason]. How many of our underage and u20/A Championship squads there is to draw from is uncertain.

Of course some couldn't care less about the underage set-up and once they see 11 senior players paid they don't place any value on a youth structure [or looking 3/4 years ito the future even]. Though they're generally morons best ignored, anyone with half a brain would recognise the importance, especially so in LoI, of maintaining a stream of quality young players coming through.

It's a shame our own has fallen so low when you look at a list of the players in the past 6/7 years who have come through CCFC [or who were "reborn" here after coming back at a young age] and are now playing full time professional football in the UK. Many of those transfers brought in much needed money at much needed times in the past.

Damien Delaney [Capped Senior International]
Alan Bennett [Capped Senior International]
Kevin Doyle [Capped Senior International]
Shane Long [Capped Senior International]
Joe Gamble [Capped Senior International]
David Meyler [Premiership starts this season]
Roy O'Donovan
John O'Flynn
Denis Behan
Leon McSweeney
Brian Barry Murphy
Colin Healy even

That's some list of players, and it's both a good and bad indictment on Cork that such talents have passed through the club and are now elsewhere. Denis Behan I thought had a real knack of scoring good goals and losing Joe Gamble is a loss to the league. David Meyler is a talented lad and I just hope there is some good young players due to come through from the under age ranks.

Who is in charge of the underage set up? I thought it was being run as a separate entity with the MFA guiding it, or maybe I'm mistaken. The amount of senior and junior clubs in the area also bodes well for picking up players, yet how many would be willing to join a side with such uncertainty.

tiktok
11/01/2010, 9:57 AM
Who is in charge of the underage set up? I thought it was being run as a separate entity with the MFA guiding it, or maybe I'm mistaken. The amount of senior and junior clubs in the area also bodes well for picking up players, yet how many would be willing to join a side with such uncertainty.

Liam Murphy runs/ran [not sure what the current situation is] the underage structure at CCFC and has done a phenomenal job, he has a knack for spotting talent.

The amount of damage done to it last season cannot be underestimated though and as it stands it'd be hard for anyone to sell the club as an option to a promising young player.

weecountyman
11/01/2010, 10:24 AM
You'd think that with Cobh now out of the equation that local players would see the value in joining Cork City, if for nothing else as a means to getting to England or Scotland! How are City faring with their underage teams, are they winning anything?

tiktok
11/01/2010, 10:31 AM
You'd think that with Cobh now out of the equation that local players would see the value in joining Cork City, if for nothing else as a means to getting to England or Scotland! How are City faring with their underage teams, are they winning anything?

Cork is riddled with scouts for cross-channel clubs, many go directly as it is.
The big advantage City had in recent years was the ability to point to players like Kevin Doyle who saw out their education in ireland and still play at the highest levels possible. It's a good sell to parents rightly worried about sendign children away from home, especially when you have Eoin Hand working at trying to resettle young players who burn out too young in England after going over at 13/14.

City's underage teams were always very competitive. We won the u20 Cup last season. The 4-2 extratime victory over UCD in the semi-final was the most exciting game I saw last season.

tiktok
11/01/2010, 11:58 AM
It'll be interesting how the powers that be at Cork City and the FAI handle the club's opening competitive fixture this year.

Munster Senior Cup
Cork City -v- Castleview
To be played Weekend january 23rd/24th

I assume any team put out would all have to be registered with the association, so no new signing made by Roddy Collins in the interim would be allowed to play, since the transfer embargo will apparently not be lifted until after the audited accounts are submitted.

We have maybe 4/5 players under contract and the rest of the squad will have to be made up from the youth ranks. Interesting time ahead.

Acornvilla
11/01/2010, 12:01 PM
It'll be interesting how the powers that be at Cork City and the FAI handle the club's opening competitive fixture this year.

Munster Senior Cup
Cork City -v- Castleview
To be played Weekend january 23rd/24th

I assume any team put out would all have to be registered with the association, so no new signing made by Roddy Collins in the interim would be allowed to play, since the transfer embargo will apparently not be lifted until after the audited accounts are submitted.

We have maybe 4/5 players under contract and the rest of the squad will have to be made up from the youth ranks. Interesting time ahead.
a good opportunity for the kids thou

tiktok
11/01/2010, 12:05 PM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/news.asp?n=37860

Cork City’s hopes of remaining in the Premier Division for 2010 rest on the payment of around €300,000 owed to former staff members by the end of the month, according to a Monday morning newspaper report.

The FAI’s licensing committee will make a final decision on the applications of all League of Ireland clubs, including Cork City, after the January 31st deadline for the payment of all outstanding debts.

According to the Irish Daily Star, Cork owe approximately €150,000 to former boss Alan Mathews, who was sacked from the Turners Cross job in December 2008, and a further €17,000 to Mathews’s successor Paul Doolin who stepped down at the end of 2009.

Former players Gareth Farrelly, Pat Sullivan, Robert Mezeckis, Colin Healy, Darren Murphy and Joe Gamble, as well as players still under contract at the club, are said to be owed a further €130,000.

If Cork fail to honour all those payments, there is hope in the fact that an agreement to defer the outstanding sums could satisfy the FAI’s licensing department.

However, with club owner Tom Coughlan having fallen foul of the Association in recent months, there must be a distinct possibility that the governing body will refuse to sanction any further deferrals and instead strip the club of its Premier Division license.

yiddo
11/01/2010, 12:16 PM
another fundraising scheme from TNB :D

In February, Cork City Football Club will be launching a new Official Members Club to allow all supporters a valuable input into the day to day business of the Club.

full details here http://corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=1226

tiktok
11/01/2010, 12:21 PM
€500 - €179 [season ticket] - €52 [lotto?] = €269 per annum to cast your vote.
I wonder how much attention Tom Coughlan will pay to your 'Vote'.

On a personal level, I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

The funny thing is that after the Winding Up Order last season, Tom Coughlan promised a share scheme which would allow the people of Cork a say in the running of the club and an ownership stake. it's funny that there seems to be no share or ownership for people out of this.

weecountyman
11/01/2010, 1:00 PM
€500 - €179 [season ticket] - €52 [lotto?] = €269 per annum to cast your vote.
I wonder how much attention Tom Coughlan will pay to your 'Vote'.

On a personal level, I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

The funny thing is that after the Winding Up Order last season, Tom Coughlan promised a share scheme which would allow the people of Cork a say in the running of the club and an ownership stake. it's funny that there seems to be no share or ownership for people out of this.

I don't believe this, I read through and blinked. This is a perversion of 2 things, the Shamrock Rovers model and what was established this year in Floriana. But the difference is that there is almost no power given to the fans through this, and it's not even an investment! Anyone putting money into this is going to find that from all money collected it will bleed from the club and disappear. I thought there was no lower they could go, but this....

redobit
11/01/2010, 1:23 PM

An word on the re-shueduled Setanta cup game against Rovers down in Cork! Any truth in that it could be mid / late February. Or is 4 or 5 weeks just too far into the future for Cork to predict at the moment!

yiddo
11/01/2010, 1:26 PM
An word on the re-shueduled Setanta cup game against Rovers down in Cork! Any truth in that it could be mid / late February. Or is 4 or 5 weeks just too far into the future for Cork to predict at the moment!

4 or 5 days is the max at the moment :D

tiktok
11/01/2010, 1:42 PM
I don't believe this, I read through and blinked. This is a perversion of 2 things, the Shamrock Rovers model and what was established this year in Floriana.

The constitution will be interesting, I can think of a third membership scheme this seems a perversion of.

On a completely unrelated note, people can join FORAS
€120 p.a. [€10 p.m.] Waged Adult
€60 p.a. [€5 p.m.] Unwaged Adult/Student/OAP
€24 p.a. [€2 p.m.] U-16 [non-voting membership, includes free FORAS scarf]

see www.forastrust.ie for more detail, the trust constitution is up there for 'review' also :D

weecountyman
11/01/2010, 1:50 PM
The constitution will be interesting, I can think of a third membership scheme this seems a perversion of.

On a completely unrelated note, people can join FORAS
€120 p.a. [€10 p.m.] Waged Adult
€60 p.a. [€5 p.m.] Unwaged Adult/Student/OAP
€24 p.a. [€2 p.m.] U-16 [non-voting membership, includes free FORAS scarf]

see www.forastrust.ie (http://www.forastrust.ie) for more detail, the trust constitution is up there for 'review' also :D

Bascially they're looking for the supporters to pay for the club yet have no say in it (not FORAS) and are looking to make more profit off their backs, while keeping themselves in a job. I can see it all ending in tears.

razor
11/01/2010, 2:33 PM
another fundraising scheme from TNB :D

full details here http://corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=1226I'd rather give my money to an African prince.