PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

tiktok
17/12/2009, 3:49 PM
Sigh.. thought we may have been getting some actual news... Ah well

Watch the SixOne news and stop following me around asking me for sources every time I post something.

Doomofman
17/12/2009, 3:50 PM
Watch the SixOne news and stop following around asking me for sources every time I post something.

Huh? When have I asked you for sources before?

tiktok
17/12/2009, 3:51 PM
Explains the username.... :p

I just put my hands on my face and no-one notices.

tiktok
17/12/2009, 3:59 PM
Huh? When have I asked you for sources before?

http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1293228&postcount=1389

A couple of days ago, on this thread :D

Doomofman
17/12/2009, 4:00 PM
Ah, indeed I did... I tend to be a bit suspicious of rumours... It's made even worse by the fact I'll miss the news tonight... Hopefully it'll appear online before then... Whatever it is

tiktok
17/12/2009, 4:09 PM
Roddy Collins was just on the news clearing Tommy's good name with the Maltese Side by admitting that he approached Cork City about the Vacancy and not the other way around.

Statement from the FAI expected in time for SixOne news [and is unrelated to Roddy Collins comments in the media a couple of minutes ago]

Doomofman
17/12/2009, 4:10 PM
Roddy Collins was just on the news clearing Tommy's good name with the Maltese Side by admitting that he approached Cork City about the Vacancy and not the other way around.

Statement from the FAI expected in time for SixOne news.

Huh? So is that what the statement is to do with or is it something else? :confused:

Doomofman
17/12/2009, 4:14 PM
Statement on Cork site

With regard to speculation in the media regarding the position of manager, Cork City Football Club wish to put the following facts on the record:
The club was approached by representatives of Mr. Roddy Collins to express his interest in the vacancy at the club, and subsequently by Mr. Collins himself. Chairman Tom Coughlan and General Manager Liam Meaney have met once with Mr. Collins with regard to the vacancy. At this meeting, it was acknowledged that Mr. Collins is the existing manager of Floriana FC and before any formal discussions could take place, he has been requested to confirm his existing contractual status.

We would like to stress at this point that neither Mr. Collins nor anyone else has been appointed as manager of the club.

While it has been alleged that representatives of Floriana FC have been unable to contact Cork City Football Club at various times over the past week, the club office is staffed from 9 am to 6 pm every day, and at no point has an email, phone call or fax, or indeed any correspondence, been received from Floriana FC.

With regard to the personal and hurtful remarks attributed to an “official” spokesperson of Floriana, having contacted the club directly, we sincerely doubt the integrity of the released statement.

Cork City Football Club hope to announce the appointment of a new first team manager within the next 48 hours.

tiktok
17/12/2009, 4:19 PM
FAI DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE DECISION

UNDER THE RULES OF THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND

SITTING IN DUBLIN THURSDAY 17 DECEMBER 2009

FAI HEADQUARTERS, NATIONAL SPORTS CAMPUS, ABBOTSTOWN.

BACKGROUND

Whereas the Disciplinary Regulations Officer (“DRO”) initiated Disciplinary proceedings against Mr Thomas Coughlan (“the Respondent”), Chairman of Cork City FC in respect of allegations that Mr Coughlan did bring the game of football or FAI into disrepute.

Whereas the documentation relied on by the DRO having been circulated to the Respondent in advance of the hearing and the Respondent having been notified in advance of the time date and venue of the hearing, the Disciplinary Committee did convene a hearing at the FAI Headquarters on Thursday 17 December 2009.

Whereas the Respondent and his legal representative did initially attend FAI Headquarters prior to the commencement of the hearing but left after forty minutes citing having other business to attend to.

Whereas the Respondent’s solicitor having been contacted by the Chairman of this Committee immediately after their departure, did confirm to this Committee that the Respondent would not be attending the hearing. And the Respondent did decline the opportunity afforded by the Secretariat to have any deliberations conducted via teleconference. Having afforded the Respondent two prior adjournments this Committee deemed it appropriate to proceed to hear the evidence against the Respondent in the absence of the Respondent.

PROCEEDINGS

The Disciplinary Committee received oral submissions from Mr David Casserly, Mr Fran Gavin and Mr Padraig Smith together with documentation and visual recordings which were opened to the Committee. The Respondent failed to produce written submissions and failed to attend.

DECISION OF THE DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE

The Disciplinary Committee having considered the evidence before them and all relevant factors in this case make the following decision.

(I) The Respondent is found to have brought the game of football or the FAI into disrepute as per FAI Rule 93.

(II) The Respondent is banned on performing any football related activity for a period of twelve months from the date hereof as per FAI Rule 117.

(III) The Respondent is fined €5,000 in accordance with FAI Rule 110. Such fine to be paid within thirty days from the date hereof.

The Disciplinary Committee advises both parties of the possibility of appeal pursuant to the FAI Rules.

pineapple stu
17/12/2009, 4:21 PM
So TNB is banned, but he still owns the club. What practical difference does this make? Or is it to be taken as the first sign that Cork will be denied a licence for 2010?

Also -

the Respondent [...] did initially attend FAI Headquarters prior to the commencement of the hearing but left after forty minutes citing having other business to attend to.
Ouch! :eek:

WoodquayBoy
17/12/2009, 4:23 PM
Surely it means he has to sell the club? Or else there will be no Cork City FC in next year's LOI?

Longfordian
17/12/2009, 4:24 PM
Isn't his partner/wife a director?. Mrs No Bobs will be named Chief Executive until they don't get a licence for whatever reason the FAI needs to come up with. There's bound to be loads of things.

pineapple stu
17/12/2009, 4:25 PM
Surely it means he has to sell the club?
I don't think the FAI have the power to compel someone to dispose of an asset.

He could in theory appoint a relative as director. Kind of the way Medvedev is President of Russia, but he's not really. I think there's a similar case at Chester City where the owner got banned, but passed control to his son, so nothing's really changed.

HammerNThongs
17/12/2009, 4:25 PM
This leaves gateways and loopholes...I'm scared :(

Réiteoir
17/12/2009, 4:37 PM
FAI calls on Tom Coughlan to consider his position at Cork City FC

The Football Association of Ireland today (December 17) confirmed that the Independent Disciplinary Committee has issued a €5,000 fine and a ban against Mr Tom Coughlan from football related activity for bringing the game into disrepute. The ban takes immediate effect for a period of 12 months. The ban will exclude Mr Coughlan, as Director of Cork City FC, from FAI Council membership and all privileges will be withdrawn with immediate effect. In addition, Mr Coughlan will be banned from representing the club under the participation agreement as well as nomination to any FAI committee, under any capacity.

Commenting on the Independent Disciplinary Committee’s decision, Fran Gavin Director of the League of Ireland said,

“The majority of League of Ireland clubs operate as independent companies and their Directors are responsible for ensuring that they are run in accordance with Irish company law. The FAI cannot dictate who owns clubs as this would conflict with company law and is purely a matter for the club or limited company. When Mr Coughlan was selected last year by the examiner to bring Cork City FC out of examinership, the move was welcomed. While we acknowledge that Mr Coughlan invested money in Cork City FC at that difficult time, his subsequent actions have damaged the credibility of both the club and the League. Although Mr Coughlan is presently owner and Director of Cork City FC, we now call on him to consider his position in the interests of the fans and the players, as well as the long term future of the club.”

ENDS

tiktok
17/12/2009, 4:39 PM
FAI calls on Tom Coughlan to consider his position at Cork City FC

The Football Association of Ireland today (December 17) confirmed that the Independent Disciplinary Committee has issued a €5,000 fine and a ban against Mr Tom Coughlan from football related activity for bringing the game into disrepute. The ban takes immediate effect for a period of 12 months. The ban will exclude Mr Coughlan, as Director of Cork City FC, from FAI Council membership and all privileges will be withdrawn with immediate effect. In addition, Mr Coughlan will be banned from representing the club under the participation agreement as well as nomination to any FAI committee, under any capacity.

Commenting on the Independent Disciplinary Committee’s decision, Fran Gavin Director of the League of Ireland said,

“The majority of League of Ireland clubs operate as independent companies and their Directors are responsible for ensuring that they are run in accordance with Irish company law. The FAI cannot dictate who owns clubs as this would conflict with company law and is purely a matter for the club or limited company. When Mr Coughlan was selected last year by the examiner to bring Cork City FC out of examinership, the move was welcomed. While we acknowledge that Mr Coughlan invested money in Cork City FC at that difficult time, his subsequent actions have damaged the credibility of both the club and the League. Although Mr Coughlan is presently owner and Director of Cork City FC, we now call on him to consider his position in the interests of the fans and the players, as well as the long term future of the club.”

This is the follow on release.
Licencing decision on the way on Monday

Doomofman
17/12/2009, 4:47 PM
Coughlan claiming the meeting was delayed so he couldn't attend...

blue til i die
17/12/2009, 4:48 PM
Statement of James Riordan and Partners, 50 South Mall, Cork. Thursday December 17th 2009

We were consulted by Tom Coughlan Chairman of Cork City in relation to his hearing at FAI Headquarters, Abbotstown, Dublin at 12.00 today.

Having confirmed our attendance, as requested by the FAI, we arrived with Tom Coughlan at 11.45 a.m. and were shown to a waiting room by Mr. Vincent O’Flaherty FAI. At 12.00 we were informed that the Chairman of the hearing had been delayed for 5 minutes.

At 12.45, having had no further contact, we spoke with the receptionist and asked for Mr. O’Flaherty but the receptionist was unable to locate him anywhere and accordingly, Mr. Riordan gave the Receptionist his mobile number and asked her to have Mr. O’Flaherty contact him as soon as possible to re schedule the hearing. In the absence of anything further, Mr. Coughlan and I then left the building to attend to other business.

Approximately 15 minutes later Mr. O’Flaherty telephoned me and referred the Chairman of the committee on to me. I asked the Chairman to re schedule the hearing as soon as possible. The Chairman said that the meeting would proceed and he asked me to return with Mr. Coughlan but I responded that I had other business to attend to and could not immediately return but that he was anxious to have the hearing re-scheduled quickly. The Chairman refused to countenance this and said that the hearing would proceed immediately in our absence.

Mr. Coughlan is now questioning this decision and has serious reservations about the FAI's attitude to him, based not alone on today's events, but also recent comments made in the national media by Fran Gavin FAI League Director and FAI Chief Executive John Delaney.

Mr. Coughlan is extremely disappointed that he did not get his personal hearing, despite the fact that he was present at the correct time for the hearing and also waited for over an hour in an attempt to facilitate the meeting going ahead. Mr. Coughlan travelled to Dublin in order to attend the hearing and incurred the cost of hiring a solicitor to travel with him, yet he was never given a chance to defend his name.

In very difficult economic times Mr. Coughlan has expended enormous time, energy and personal funds (more than €800,000) to ensure the continued existence of a prestigious football club in Cork capable of challenging for the highest honours. While the club has experienced difficulties this year, Mr. Coughlan is determined to ensure that the club honours all of its commitments and moves forward on a sustainable footing. The commitments that have been honoured have not been of his making, and after his experience of the last 12 months he is currently restructuring the club to facilitate its survival in these difficult times.

A further statement will be released once a copy of the FAI's findings have been digested by Cork City Football Club and Tom Coughlan.

John83
17/12/2009, 4:48 PM
Coughlan claiming the meeting was delayed so he couldn't attend...
I love this league.

Doomofman
17/12/2009, 4:49 PM
The article I referenced...

We were consulted by Tom Coughlan Chairman of Cork City in relation to his hearing at FAI Headquarters, Abbotstown, Dublin at 12.00 today.
Having confirmed our attendance, as requested by the FAI, we arrived with Tom Coughlan at 11.45 a.m. and were shown to a waiting room by Mr. Vincent O’Flaherty FAI. At 12.00 we were informed that the Chairman of the hearing had been delayed for 5 minutes.

At 12.45, having had no further contact, we spoke with the receptionist and asked for Mr. O’Flaherty but the receptionist was unable to locate him anywhere and accordingly, Mr. Riordan gave the Receptionist his mobile number and asked her to have Mr. O’Flaherty contact him as soon as possible to re schedule the hearing. In the absence of anything further, Mr. Coughlan and I then left the building to attend to other business.

Approximately 15 minutes later Mr. O’Flaherty telephoned me and referred the Chairman of the committee on to me. I asked the Chairman to re schedule the hearing as soon as possible. The Chairman said that the meeting would proceed and he asked me to return with Mr. Coughlan but I responded that I had other business to attend to and could not immediately return but that he was anxious to have the hearing re-scheduled quickly. The Chairman refused to countenance this and said that the hearing would proceed immediately in our absence.

Mr. Coughlan is now questioning this decision and has serious reservations about the FAI's attitude to him, based not alone on today's events, but also recent comments made in the national media by Fran Gavin FAI League Director and FAI Chief Executive John Delaney.

Mr. Coughlan is extremely disappointed that he did not get his personal hearing, despite the fact that he was present at the correct time for the hearing and also waited for over an hour in an attempt to facilitate the meeting going ahead. Mr. Coughlan travelled to Dublin in order to attend the hearing and incurred the cost of hiring a solicitor to travel with him, yet he was never given a chance to defend his name.

In very difficult economic times Mr. Coughlan has expended enormous time, energy and personal funds (more than €800,000) to ensure the continued existence of a prestigious football club in Cork capable of challenging for the highest honours. While the club has experienced difficulties this year, Mr. Coughlan is determined to ensure that the club honours all of its commitments and moves forward on a sustainable footing. The commitments that have been honoured have not been of his making, and after his experience of the last 12 months he is currently restructuring the club to facilitate its survival in these difficult times.

A further statement will be released once a copy of the FAI's findings have been digested by Cork City Football Club and Tom Coughlan.

tiktok
17/12/2009, 4:49 PM
Coughlan claiming...

I stopped reading at that stage. :D

saintmaniac
17/12/2009, 4:50 PM
Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

:eek: Your signature has never seemed so apt, tiktok...

And Coughlan might be tolerated/believed if he hadn't skipped two hearings previous to this...

Marty Morrissey was on the radio exclaiming over how "harsh" his punishment is. (Incidentally, who authorised Marty Morrissey to talk about LOI? He knows nothing.) He was asked by one of the news anchors if Cork could afford to hire a new manager (i.e. Roddy), and hemmed and hawed about how "yeah, they're in a lot of trouble. So are Derry." In other words, he doesn't know...

Réiteoir
17/12/2009, 5:47 PM
Coughlan couldn't be that desparate to go and get some red lemonade and a hang sangwedge from the local Centra?

weecountyman
17/12/2009, 7:40 PM
Statement on Cork site

Well, at training and a supporters rally tonight in Malta one of the players confirmed the statement was valid and read out. Roddy's been calling non-stop trying to backtrack and bully (even calling players). He's in big trouble! Him and TNB are well suited!

Northern Light
17/12/2009, 8:01 PM
Well, at training and a supporters rally tonight in Malta one of the players confirmed the statement was valid and read out. Roddy's been calling non-stop trying to backtrack and bully (even calling players). He's in big trouble! Him and TNB are well suited!

Confirmed which statement? the city one or the Fliorina one?

weecountyman
17/12/2009, 8:51 PM
Confirmed which statement? the city one or the Fliorina one?

Floriana. I love the "personal and hurtful remarks" and doubting "the integrity" of the statement, I don't know how they can get that out of it. That TNB went to ground and refused to answer calls or that Floriana backed the FAI calls for him to treat the fans better. My mate at HSBC has become a fan of the club and figured Roddy would go in the New Year, he was telling some people that he was offered Brighton and Tranmere jobs, but wanted to spend a few years in Malta!

sheao
17/12/2009, 9:43 PM
Monday will be a vital day for City. After today's events it will be interesting to see weather City get a leicence or not Monday when the leicence's are handed out. It seems after today the communication between Coughlan and the FAI has broken down.

HammerNThongs
18/12/2009, 7:56 AM
I still dunno what to make of everything. Obviously the fact that the FAI took action is good, but giving him a hole to wriggle through with the whole "I didnt get a chance to defend myself" ******** has left this open somewhat. Also, his brother and goon of a GM are already in place, so Coughlan doesnt really need to be about to get things done his way.

License next for **** sake...do the right thing and deny him one.

pineapple stu
18/12/2009, 8:31 AM
Mr. Coughlan is extremely disappointed that he did not get his personal hearing, despite the fact that he was present at the correct time for the hearing and also waited for over an hour in an attempt to facilitate the meeting going ahead.
What about the second meeting you didn't turn up for, you mong?

HammerNThongs
18/12/2009, 8:42 AM
What about the second meeting you didn't turn up for, you mong?

He had other business to attend to dont ya know.

Sure these meetings been brought in front of a disciplinary commission facing 8 charges of disrepute would all be done in half an hour dont ya know :rolleyes:

I have so much anger right now I cant even associate LoI football with anything other then this scum right now. It taints the whole league and association in this country.

CuanaD
18/12/2009, 10:25 AM
Monday will be a vital day for City. After today's events it will be interesting to see weather City get a leicence or not Monday when the leicence's are handed out. It seems after today the communication between Coughlan and the FAI has broken down.
As in:

Do you have a leicence for your Mionky?

razor
18/12/2009, 10:25 AM
Do you have a leicence for your Mionky?is that secret code?
Cos i'm quite sure we don't speak like that in Cork :D

Mr. Riordan gave the Receptionist his mobile number and asked her to have Mr. O’Flaherty contact him as soon as possible to re schedule the hearing. In the absence of anything further, Mr. Coughlan and I then left the building to attend to other business.Other business? what clap trap.
I'd like that so called solicitor to come out and state what this other business was.

Mr. Coughlan is now questioning this decision and has serious reservations about the FAI's attitude to him, based not alone on today's events, but also recent comments made in the national media by Fran Gavin FAI League Director and FAI Chief Executive John Delaney.Maybe he's finally getting the message.

CuanaD
18/12/2009, 11:16 AM
is that secret code?
Cos i'm quite sure we don't speak like that in Cork :D

http://odd-itees.spreadshirt.co.uk/inspector-clouseau-quote-tshirt-A5158930

Leeside Swagger
18/12/2009, 11:53 AM
He has 4 days to appeal, I really hope this gets sorted and doesnt drag into the new year.

http://examiner.ie/sport/coughlan-to-appeal-unjust-and-unfair-ban-108108.html

Longfordian
18/12/2009, 12:50 PM
What's this about licences being handed out on Monday?. Is it not February as usual?.

micls
18/12/2009, 12:52 PM
What's this about licences being handed out on Monday?. Is it not February as usual?.

Wages need to be paid up to date by Monday to get a license. Obviously there are other considerations after that.

Coughlan owes players and staff wages at the moment

Stevo Da Gull
18/12/2009, 12:59 PM
He has 4 days to appeal, I really hope this gets sorted and doesnt drag into the new year.

I hope for the same thing, but if Paddy Power were offering odds....

CMcC
18/12/2009, 1:52 PM
This whole affair is disgusting. I feel so sorry for the Cork supporters. Keep the faith, what doesnt kill you will make you stronger. Your day is surely going to come.

culloty82
18/12/2009, 2:15 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/cork-city-farce-now-reaches-fever-pitch-1980664.html

Surely six weeks would be ample time for Cork investors to prepare a rescue plan and mount a buy-out bid? Granted, Monday has to be hurdled first, but I don't see what would be gained by the FAI not granting a deferral.

bluemovie
18/12/2009, 2:17 PM
is that secret code?
Other business? what clap trap.
I'd like that so called solicitor to come out and state what this other business was.

He had arranged to go for a few pints with Sean Fitzpatrick, Bishop Donal Murray and Thierry Henry.

tiktok
18/12/2009, 2:33 PM
I don't see what would be gained by the FAI not granting a deferral.

They might gain a bit of respect for finally following their own ****ing rules!

gspain
18/12/2009, 3:11 PM
time to setup your own club guys.

The FAI will have to let you into the 1st division aka Derry.

Limerick, Waterford, Derry, Shels and Cork in the first division - who needs premier division football? :D

harps1954
18/12/2009, 3:46 PM

Limerick, Waterford, Derry, Shels and Cork in the first division - who needs premier division football? :D

And with only one club guaranteed to get out of the Division, it's going to make for an interesting Division One next year.

sheao
18/12/2009, 3:50 PM
Taken from www.forastrust.ie

Statement for the Board of Management following the FAI Disciplinary hearing regarding Mr. T. Coughlan:

Following yesterday's finding by the FAI Disciplinary Committee that Tom Coughlan, owner and Chairman of Cork City Football club has brought "the game of football or the FAI into disrepute", FORAS joins the call of Fran Gavin, Director of the League of Ireland, on Mr.Coughlan to consider his position.

In the interests of the fans and the players, as well as the long term future of the club we ask Mr.Coughlan to step aside with immediate effect, so that there remains some opportunity to redeem the former standing of our great club.

Should Tom Coughlan remain in charge of Cork City FC, FORAS BoM will respond to the numerous recent requests from our members to take a vote on a boycott of home games and Club merchandise while the current Chairman remains in control. We will facilitate our members in making a decision on this issue by holding a General Meeting in January.

FORAS Board of Management

OneRedArmy
18/12/2009, 4:43 PM
I suppose we'll have to wait a few weeks for Tom to go to Rome to see whether the Pope thinks he should go...

sheao
19/12/2009, 4:47 PM
The Commandos 84 are going to boycott aswell.

Commandos 84 Statement 18/12/2009

As a supporters group of Cork City FC, we offer our full
support to the FAI on yesterdays decision to implement a 12
month ban on all footballing
activity, and also imposing a €5000 fine, on the owner of
Cork City FC, Tom Coughlan.

As supporters we feel that Mr Coughlan has, over
the past 12 months, damaged the name and reputation of this
once great
club and we are not alone in this belief as shown by the
recent action by the FAI. The past season has been one of
embarrassment for the
club's players, staff, and fans with incidents such as
unpaid wages, unpaid bus companies, court cases, unfair
dismissals and other episodes. Cork City FC, as with many
League of Ireland club's has always had it's fair share of
problems but Mr Coughlan's reign as chairman and owner has
seen the club endure more problems than it ever has before
and his reaction to these troubles has been one of utter
disrespect to all parties involved, be they the FAI,
supporters or creditors.

We are therefore wish to announce that if Mr Coughlan is in
charge
of Cork City FC for the 2010 season, we will be boycotting
all home
matches, where Mr Coughlan will benefit financially.

We call on Mr Coughlan to relinquish control and ownership
of the club as he has already had many opportunities to hand
ownership to other interested parties but has chosen not to
step aside despite his own personal statements. We fully
support FORAS and it's role in the guardianship of the club
and encourage all fans to join this organisation in order
for it to become stronger and to, in the future, run a
successful football club using the Shamrock Rovers model
which clearly works.

COMMANDOS 84
STATEMENT ENDS
[/QUOTE]

Riddickcule
19/12/2009, 6:15 PM

Starting to enjoy relegation now :D

Acornvilla
19/12/2009, 6:42 PM

i'm not..

Doomofman
19/12/2009, 6:50 PM

You wont for long as you'll be back annoying us in the premier division next season :p

Joe Strummer
20/12/2009, 8:32 AM
Cork supporters should have a read of Today’s Star ( Before you have your breakfast) Oul Shoddy is basically begging for the job in his column.

He says Coughlin is an honest man, supporters should keep quiet and support the club and best of all …the Overpaid Cork players should shout their mouths and be lucky that they are not on the dole (at least they would get paid on the dole).

He is some plank.