PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

osarusan
03/08/2009, 5:08 PM
I don't believe that for a second. I can guarantee you that in a similar situation, I'd ask what I was celebrating before I'd jump around like a goon for 3 or 4 minutes before finally asking "what actually happened?"
So, you are in a group of fans waiting for good (or bad) news regarding the winding-up (or not) of your club.......you're outside the club shop, everybody is listening intently to somebody who is giving info on the situation, but you can't quite hear...........then those fans who can hear start celebrating and jumping around, waving club scarves, chanting "We are staying alive"............but you wouldn't have even the slightest clue as to what was going on? You'd be asking people, "What are we celebrating here?"

thischarmingman
03/08/2009, 5:16 PM
I don't believe that for a second. I can guarantee you that in a similar situation, I'd ask what I was celebrating before I'd jump around like a goon for 3 or 4 minutes before finally asking "what actually happened?".

If you happen to glance down at your match programme at Tolka Park just as Anto Flood rifles one in from the edge of the area, do you start looking around the cheering home fans surrounding you asking "What? What happened?" :rolleyes:

marinobohs
03/08/2009, 5:40 PM
If you happen to glance down at your match programme at Tolka Park just as Anto Flood rifles one in from the edge of the area, do you start looking around the cheering home fans surrounding you asking "What? What happened?" :rolleyes:

A strong manly hand shake, followed by cogging someones maths homework, Tis the Shelbourne way :D

tiktok
03/08/2009, 6:00 PM

In fairness, he was quite clear. He would wait three or four minutes while others calmed down before receiving confirmation, I'm not sure if it's verbal or written confirmation of the goal he'd look for. Then and only then would he jump around like a goon.

John83
03/08/2009, 6:14 PM
In fairness, he was quite clear. He would wait three or four minutes while others calmed down before receiving confirmation, I'm not sure if it's verbal or written confirmation of the goal he'd look for. Then and only then would he jump around like a goon.
Personally, I always wait for the referee's report.

Hairy Bowsie
03/08/2009, 9:37 PM
Lads you are all being ridiculous. You can't compare the 2 scenarios and well you know it.

What about those lads in the video, who believe that Cork had been saved outright?

osarusan
03/08/2009, 9:41 PM
Lads you are all being ridiculous. You can't compare the 2 scenarios and well you know it.

What about those lads in the video, who believe that Cork had been saved outright?

SFC Red is the one being ridiculous by suggesting that people were celebrating without any understanding of why.

Micls has made it clear (as the video does) that people knew that Cork would not be wound up that day at least, but people didn't really know any more than that.

Dunny
03/08/2009, 9:42 PM
There is a Cork fan living around the corner from us. I was only home from Atletico Madrid game and heard singing outside. Went and had a look and seen a completely p!ssed Corkman in his gear, kicking a football and singing chants(Don't ask what chants because that accent and booze don't go together), followed by "I love City, I love City!" Wasn't bad on the ball even though he was plastered, Cork should sign him up! Funny stuff.:D

thischarmingman
03/08/2009, 9:50 PM
There is a Cork fan living around the corner from us. I was only home from Atletico Madrid game and heard singing outside. Went and had a look and seen a completely p!ssed Corkman in his gear, kicking a football and singing chants(Don't ask what chants because that accent and booze don't go together), followed by "I love City, I love City!" Wasn't bad on the ball even though he was plastered, Cork should sign him up! Funny stuff.:D

To think people once said George O'Callaghan could play for Ireland... :(

tiktok
03/08/2009, 11:12 PM

You're right, it is ridiculous; there would be less people there to celebrate when Anto Flood scores at Tolka.

sfc red
04/08/2009, 3:17 AM
You're right, it is ridiculous; there would be less people there to celebrate when Anto Flood scores at Tolka.

3,000 at your finale?

Hairy Bowsie
04/08/2009, 8:51 AM

Whats this? The great, wise and noble tiktok resorting to petty name calling and childish remarks. A sure sign of desperation if ever there was one. Don't worry tiktok, i'm sure FORAS will be allowed be part of whatever new Cork franchise springs up after Tom has had his way with this one.

Personally i agree with SFC red, i don't think those lads had a clue what was going on and looking at the video, i'd say some of them STILL don't.

Magicme
04/08/2009, 9:20 AM

I wonder was he the guy wearing the Cork City jacket at your game against Athletico? I thought my son was brave wearing his Monaghan United tracksuit top but then I saw a guy in a Drogheda United jacket at the game, in the shed. Brave man.

razor
04/08/2009, 10:11 AM
(Don't ask what chants because that accent and booze don't go together)I'm sure the feeling is mutual. :D

Ash
04/08/2009, 10:57 AM
Cant be bothered thrawling through the past 20 or so pages and reading through the sniping etc so bottom line questions ... will Cork come up the cash by tomorrow? Will the FAI bail them out? Will more players leave?

Mr A
04/08/2009, 11:02 AM
Will Cork find the cash: It would appear so.
Will the FAI bail them out: Again, this looks likely.
Will more players leave: You'd bloody hope so for CCFC's sake and that of the players. If they don't this only another brief halt on the road to oblivion for CCFC.

topia
04/08/2009, 11:16 AM
Whats this? The great, wise and noble tiktok resorting to petty name calling and childish remarks. A sure sign of desperation if ever there was one. Don't worry tiktok, i'm sure FORAS will be allowed be part of whatever new Cork franchise springs up after Tom has had his way with this one.

Personally i agree with SFC red, i don't think those lads had a clue what was going on and looking at the video, i'd say some of them STILL don't.

Thats fairly hypocritical on your behalf considering half of the comments you made in this thread were no more than childish attempts to get a rise out of the cork fans.

and of course they have a clue, they know their club has got at least a stay of execution, thats worth celebrating even if they are not sure exactly how

EalingGreen
04/08/2009, 11:27 AM
Someone mentioned Livingston FC earlier in the thread, particularly the way the SFL has "helped" them survive their own financial difficulties.
However, this has not been universally welcomed in the Scottish game, if this article is anything to go by. (The readers' comments added below make especially interesting reading):

(http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/2009/08/01/everyone-is-shocked-that-sfl-has-allowed-livingston-to-survive-says-albion-rovers-boss-paul-martin-86908-21563204/)http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/2009/08/01/everyone-is-shocked-that-sfl-has-allowed-livingston-to-survive-says-albion-rovers-boss-paul-martin-86908-21563204/

Everyone is shocked that SFL has allowed Livingston to survive, says Albion Rovers boss Paul Martin

Aug 1 2009 Gordon Parks

ALBION ROVERS will reluctantly roll out the welcome mat to Livingston this afternoon to host a game they believe will shame Scottish football.

Cliftonhill boss Paul Martin and the people who run his club claim the decision by the SFL to offer their Co-operative Cup opponents a stay of execution has brought our game into disrepute.

The wee Rovers pay their players a pittance but it's always on time and not even having to deal with a shoestring budget and having their training area burned down has derailed their commitment to the sport.

P.S. The previous owner who sold the club to wide-boy Massone was only a certain Cork-born businessman, by the name of Pearse Flynn...
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/2009/07/31/pearse-flynn-i-could-ve-bought-12-ferraris-for-what-i-lost-at-livingston-but-i-don-t-regret-that-as-much-as-selling-to-angelo-massone-86908-21560704/

micls
04/08/2009, 11:33 AM

What about them? That's the feeling of the majority of people. Yes, it's not going to be easy but if the tax bill issue is resolved then its a lot easier.

Mr A
04/08/2009, 11:33 AM
They're dead right.

And what's more they stuffed Livingstone 3-0.

Ash
04/08/2009, 11:34 AM
Will Cork find the cash: It would appear so.
Will the FAI bail them out: Again, this looks likely.
Will more players leave: You'd bloody hope so for CCFC's sake and that of the players. If they don't this only another brief halt on the road to oblivion for CCFC.

Cheers A.

adamd164
04/08/2009, 11:59 AM
I thought people were supposed to stop feeding the trolls in this thread!

You're being reeled in with every cast of the rod.

whinnie01
04/08/2009, 7:15 PM

Just wondering how u managed to post on the Bohs-Sligo game last night at 8.54pm and be supporting the town in oriel.;)

De Town
04/08/2009, 7:29 PM
Just wondering how u managed to post on the Bohs-Sligo game last night at 8.54pm and be supporting the town in oriel.;)

The clock on foot.ie is an hour behind ;)

thischarmingman
04/08/2009, 8:11 PM

http://slowwolf.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/shipment-of-fail.jpg

prince20
04/08/2009, 8:26 PM
Really hope im wrong but i heard this evening that the promise of money from England prior to tomorrows case is not coming.

For the sake of football in this country i really hope my source has his facts wrong:(

CSFShels
04/08/2009, 8:32 PM
Really hope im wrong but i heard this evening that the promise of money from England prior to tomorrows case is not coming.

For the sake of football in this country i really hope my source has his facts wrong:(
Football in this country will neither benefit nor suffer from Cork going to the wall, the league it'll be minus a very good club, one of the biggest and best sides, but it'll also send a message out to clubs that its not just a case of you throw cash around wildly, things look bad, but in the end things turn out ok, thats not going to turn things around for the league.

micls
04/08/2009, 9:32 PM

That rumours is flying around alright.

The court case is Thursday btw

brianw82
04/08/2009, 9:36 PM
That rumours is flying around alright.

The court case is Thursday btw

What exactly is the Wednesday deadline, in that case?

micls
04/08/2009, 9:37 PM
What exactly is the Wednesday deadline, in that case?

I'd imagine, it's that the money would have to be transferred into the account by close of business Wednesday to be available in the court Thursday morning.

sonofstan
04/08/2009, 9:45 PM
Kinda funny last night at Dalymount when all the announcements about our next home game were qualified with a 'hopefully' or a 'possibly'......please survive. We need the gate.

The Lep
04/08/2009, 9:46 PM
When is the Celtic friendly planned for?

This has been going on since October so surely Cork could have got their house in order by now. Part fault is with the Fai for granting them the premier licence seeing that their tax audits wasnt in line at the time . Their wage bill could have been a good bit lower if they were placed in the first division this year and could have had a better chance of surviving.
If they survive then will they be a position to pay their players their back money and the clubs monthly tax bill? Or will they be in the same position again at the end of the season?
For the cork faithful i hope they continue, but have no sympathy for the board of managment.

thischarmingman
04/08/2009, 9:47 PM
Kinda funny last night at Dalymount when all the announcements about our next home game were qualified with a 'hopefully' or a 'possibly'......please survive. We need the gate.

I forgot I was on the Cork thread and genuinely read that as a comment on Bohemians. I thought you, and the announcer were being very candid. :o

micls
04/08/2009, 9:48 PM
When is the Celtic friendly planned for?

September afaik

The Lep
04/08/2009, 9:53 PM
September afaik

sorry if im wrong, was the money from that game ment to be part of the payment to the revenue?

marinobohs
04/08/2009, 9:54 PM
Football in this country will neither benefit nor suffer from Cork going to the wall, the league it'll be minus a very good club, one of the biggest and best sides, but it'll also send a message out to clubs that its not just a case of you throw cash around wildly, things look bad, but in the end things turn out ok, thats not going to turn things around for the league.

Sorry but you are wrong. history has shown (SHELS Drogs etc) that clubs will not take heed (at Bohs we know this only too well !) what it will do is
1 deprive the biggest county of a League club
2 Give ammo to those knocking the League
3 possibly lead to another title decided off the pitch

Unfortunately there is no good in this for he League and despite what one thinks of Cork city or how they operate it will be better for the League if they survive. I should not have to address the up/down sides for Cork fans as I think the up is obviously survival.

micls
04/08/2009, 9:56 PM
sorry if im wrong, was the money from that game ment to be part of the payment to the revenue?

It was part of the offer which was turned down.

220k up front + the revenue from the friendly when it happened. The FAI agreed to run the friendly to ensure the revenue got the cash

christo
04/08/2009, 10:45 PM

Sorry but although it is only the A championship but Cobh are still a League club

The Lep
04/08/2009, 10:45 PM
Its non league

micls
04/08/2009, 10:46 PM
Its non league

No its not :confused:

The Lep
04/08/2009, 10:47 PM
It was part of the offer which was turned down.

220k up front + the revenue from the friendly when it happened. The FAI agreed to run the friendly to ensure the revenue got the cash

How much do they expect to make from the match?

The Lep
04/08/2009, 10:48 PM
No its not :confused:

The A is.

micls
04/08/2009, 10:49 PM
How much do they expect to make from the match?

NO idea. Will depend on ticket price etc.

The A is.
How :confused:

CSFShels
04/08/2009, 10:53 PM
Sorry but you are wrong. history has shown (SHELS Drogs etc) that clubs will not take heed (at Bohs we know this only too well !) what it will do is
2 Give ammo to those knocking the League
3 possibly lead to another title decided off the pitch

Unfortunately there is no good in this for he League and despite what one thinks of Cork city or how they operate it will be better for the League if they survive. I should not have to address the up/down sides for Cork fans as I think the up is obviously survival.
Whens the last time a big club has actually gone to the wall ya know? All Shels and Drogs had to do was downsize, if a club as big as Cork actually ceases to exist, it will most likely set some alarm bells ringing. Of course there'll still be some fools who throw money in the hope of Champions League glamour ties against BATE Borisov and CFR Cluj but you'd assume that seeing that this thing DOES actually end big clubs, would do wonders I reckon. Not that I don't feel for the Cork fans, I'm just saying that this wouldn't be as terrible for the league as people are making out.

The Lep
04/08/2009, 10:57 PM
NO idea. Will depend on ticket price etc.

How :confused:

If the cork public want their club to get out the hole then surely the ticket price shouldnt be an issue if its nothing out of the ordinary .

micls
04/08/2009, 10:57 PM
Whens the last time a big club has actually gone to the wall ya know? All Shels and Drogs had to do was downsize, if a club as big as Cork actually ceases to exist, it will most likely set some alarm bells ringing. Of course there'll still be some fools who throw money in the hope of Champions League glamour ties against BATE Borisov and CFR Cluj but you'd assume that seeing that this thing DOES actually end big clubs, would do wonders I reckon. Not that I don't feel for the Cork fans, I'm just saying that this wouldn't be as terrible for the league as people are making out.

CCFC won't be ceasing to exist, to use your own words, we'll be 'downsizing', we'll just be doing it mid-season, unlike other clubs.

micls
04/08/2009, 10:58 PM
If the cork public want their club to get out the hole then surely the ticket price shouldnt be an issue if its nothing out of the ordinary .

:confused: I meant the profit will depend on ticket price, not the crowd...

The Lep
04/08/2009, 11:01 PM
:confused: I meant the profit will depend on ticket price, not the crowd...

I thought it was all profit seeing that the players dont get paid

GalwayRed
04/08/2009, 11:05 PM
The A is.
The A Championship is the third tier in the league of ireland. Thats not non-league. Cobh are still a league side.

micls
04/08/2009, 11:09 PM
I thought it was all profit seeing that the players dont get paid

You've lost me....

You asked me how much we expect to make off the friendly, it depends on the price