PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

micls
28/01/2010, 2:30 PM
If FORAS did start a club would it have to start in the A championship?

Who knows. We've applied for the 1st division anyway but obviously that's no guarantee to get it.

Without wanting to rain on your parade, on what grounds will they bypass the A Championship?

Just through fudging?

By borrowing the fudge from Derry.

passinginterest
28/01/2010, 2:34 PM
Without wanting to rain on your parade, on what grounds will they bypass the A Championship?

Just through fudging?

Any club can apply for a first division licence the way I see it. If clubs apply and are successful then it's logical that should a vacancy arise the clubs with first division licences will step in. I'd imagine the other A league clubs have little interest in promotion this early in their existence, and I can't see most of them having the facilities required.

razor
28/01/2010, 2:35 PM

Just through fudging?
There are criteria to fulfill, if you fulfill them you get the licence, if you don't then no licence. Wheres the fudge?

I also think that FORAS would not have upgraded the application if they felt they wouldn't be able to comply.

micls
28/01/2010, 2:37 PM
There are criteria to fulfill, if you fulfill them you get the licence, if you don't then no licence. Wheres the fudge?

I'm also think that FORAS would not have upgraded the application if they felt they wouldn't be able to comply.

In fairness, a team can qualify for a premier license but not be in the premier(monaghan?) because they havent been promoted.

Similarly, in theory, you should have to work your way up on the pitch from the A championship.

Now, if there is a spot in teh first division and no one else applied or met the criteria then I think it would be understandable

osarusan
28/01/2010, 2:40 PM
Fair point. My question should have mentioned them actually being allowed to play in the First Division, rather than just getting a First Division licence. I'd be unhappy if a "new" Cork team were playing FD football this coming season. Derry too, for that matter.

jebus
28/01/2010, 2:42 PM
In fairness, a team can qualify for a premier license but not be in the premier(monaghan?) because they havent been promoted.

Similarly, in theory, you should have to work your way up on the pitch from the A championship.

Now, if there is a spot in teh first division and no one else applied or met the criteria then I think it would be understandable

Monaghan do indeed have a Premier license

Regarding talk of the FAI allowing Cork to bypass the A Championship then I'll just say that we should hold off until the FAI anounce the structure for next years season before dealing with that matter.

razor
28/01/2010, 2:42 PM
Of course, i'm pretty sure FORAS will be granted a first division licence but as you say there needs to be a spot.

Now, if there is a spot in teh first division and no one else applied or met the criteria then I think it would be understandableIs this the fudge bit? :D

micls
28/01/2010, 2:43 PM
Of course, i'm pretty sure FORAS will be granted a first division licence but as you say there needs to be a spot.

Is this the fudge bit? :D
Certainly a possibility Id imagine :D

Monaghan do indeed have a Premier license

Regarding talk of the FAI allowing Cork to bypass the A Championship then I'll just say that we should hold off until the FAI anounce the structure for next years season before dealing with that matter.

Have they not already confirmed the A championship will go ahead but probably be finished the year after?

dcfcsteve
28/01/2010, 3:37 PM
Confirmed now. Ultimate triumphs begin with small victories like these.

What's confirmed...?

micls
28/01/2010, 3:41 PM
What's confirmed...?

Coughlan stepped down as chairman.

Means nothing, he had no choice. Still owns the company.

passerrby
28/01/2010, 4:00 PM
can rte not say coughlan they keep saying colon or is that a fraudllian slip

Schumi
28/01/2010, 4:03 PM
It's a Cork thing, they can't say Coughlan right.

Dalymountrower
28/01/2010, 4:08 PM
It`s pronounced "Call-in", (please insert pun about debts being called in, here*)

*___________________________

razor
28/01/2010, 4:15 PM
It's a Cork thing, they can't say Coughlan right.Like the night many moons ago when Big Derek scored and I flicked on Errortel to check the score and it said Cawlin, lost in translation.

It`s pronounced "Call-in"Its either that or "****-lin" :D

micls
28/01/2010, 4:37 PM
Latest Fai statement: http://loi.ie/index.php/news-center

Thursday, 28 January 2010 17:48
Rather than talking of stepping down as Chairman of Cork City FC, Mr Coughlan should immediately relinquish ownership of the club and allow in the parties who have expressed an interest in taking Cork City forward. These parties made their interest clear to Mr Coughlan many months ago, yet nothing has happened. Gestures at the eleventh hour when it could be too late to rectify next season are too little, too late.

Doesn't sound too positive.

pineapple stu
28/01/2010, 4:39 PM
Must have hired some Maltese journalists for that one.

Mr A
28/01/2010, 4:53 PM

Rather than talking of stepping down as Chairman of Cork City FC, Mr Coughlan should immediately relinquish ownership of the club and allow in the parties who have expressed an interest in taking Cork City forward. These parties made their interest clear to Mr Coughlan many months ago, yet nothing has happened. Gestures at the eleventh hour when it could be too late to rectify next season are too little, too late.

Translation: Sell now or no license.

Longfordian
28/01/2010, 4:53 PM
When does the Licensing Committee actually meet?.

micls
28/01/2010, 4:56 PM
When does the Licensing Committee actually meet?.

14th of Feb I think.

Licences handed out on 15th

Hairy Bowsie
28/01/2010, 5:36 PM

While i am happy to see the FAI finally grow a pair (Statement above is such a direct one and i never thought i'd see it from them) i'm still appalled by the hypocrisy of them picking and choosing what clubs they want to help out.

Lord Jesus himself, couldn't help Shels so i'm not saying it from that point of view either.

Doomofman
28/01/2010, 5:38 PM
The FAI statement does sound like TNB needs to step down soon or no Cork next season

roinuj
28/01/2010, 5:46 PM
i wish the fai would stop beating about the bush on this and just kick cork outta the league.
im just totally pist off with all the bullplop about the langers

ballsac7
28/01/2010, 6:00 PM
i wish the fai would stop beating about the bush on this and just kick cork outta the league.
im just totally pist off with all the bullplop about the langers

Best supported team in the League, that would make sense alright! :confused:

corkery
28/01/2010, 6:28 PM
Best supported team in the League, that would make sense alright! :confused:

Rovers are best supported

DmanDmythDledge
28/01/2010, 7:13 PM
While i am happy to see the FAI finally grow a pair (Statement above is such a direct one and i never thought i'd see it from them) i'm still appalled by the hypocrisy of them picking and choosing what clubs they want to help out.

Lord Jesus himself, couldn't help Shels so i'm not saying it from that point of view either.
The FAI didn't run the league at the time.

MariborKev
28/01/2010, 7:21 PM
TNB on Newstalk sometime before nine.

Schumi
28/01/2010, 7:23 PM
He was on RTE earlier, says he wants to sell the club along with the usual waffle.

MariborKev
28/01/2010, 7:34 PM
On now.

MariborKev
28/01/2010, 7:37 PM
"Last year was a complete disaster Tom"

"No it wasn't" :D

He is away on a rant.......

MariborKev
28/01/2010, 7:38 PM
"We have European football to lift the spirits of the city depressed by the economy"

Is Roddy standing behind feeding him lines?

weecountyman
28/01/2010, 7:39 PM
European football in Cork will lift the dole queues spirits in Cork! Classic. Plus they haven't been given a chance.

edit: Sorry Kev, I wrote as you did!

weecountyman
28/01/2010, 7:46 PM
That was a free ride, a complete joke.

Northern Light
28/01/2010, 8:03 PM
That was a free ride, a complete joke..

but still the toughest interview I've heard with him. It is genuinely extraordinary the easy ride he gets from the Cork media - particularly the Echo

sheao
28/01/2010, 9:46 PM
On newstalk,He said that it was a learning experience for him and that he took over the club in a terrible state and that he wants to hand over the club in a better state than when he found it .

micls
28/01/2010, 9:48 PM
On newstalk,He lied, a lot.

Just changed it to a shorter version :D

A face
28/01/2010, 10:34 PM
Just changed it to a shorter version :D

Its might be worse though, he might actually believe he has left it in a better condition :eek:

A face
28/01/2010, 11:37 PM
http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/

Click on "Off the Ball" for Thursday 29th Jan and click on No. 2 and go to 33 mins (circle around pause button)

Dodge
28/01/2010, 11:56 PM
http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/

Click on "Off the Ball" for Thursday 29th Jan and click on No. 2 and go to 33 mins (circle around pause button)

YOu forgot the last line in those instructions

"... then smash head into keyboard repeatedly"

tiktok
28/01/2010, 11:56 PM
The heat is being turned up and up on Tommy.
It'll be a lot worse for him about 9 hours from now.
Interesting day ahead!

Longfordian
29/01/2010, 12:02 AM
How much worse could it get for him really? Is Delaney sending around a couple of pipe hitting heavies?.

juan
29/01/2010, 12:03 AM
It'll be a lot worse for him about 9 hours from now.
Interesting day ahead!

Political Rebel alluded to the same thing on our forum. Is he going on 96?

juan
29/01/2010, 12:04 AM
How much worse could it get for him really? Is Delaney sending around a couple of pipe hitting heavies?.

Two words... The Viper!

Longfordian
29/01/2010, 12:09 AM
Roddy would probably know the Viper, he'll be grand.

Onefootednopace
29/01/2010, 8:05 AM
From the Irish Examiner

I’m retarding progress, says Cork chief Coughlan

By Liam Mackey
Friday, January 29, 2010

TOM COUGHLAN says that the "primary reason" for his stated intention to step down as Chairman of Cork City is to help ensure a viable future for the club.

However, the FAI have described Coughlan’s move as "too little, too late".

Today is deadline day in the club licensing process for next season, although it’s understood that Cork have appealed for an extension which would give them until the middle of next week to supply audited accounts. Club licensing rules require that all outstanding debts – believed to be over €300,000 in Cork’s case – need to be settled today, but in the event that they are not the independent committee could still award City a licence if they are under new ownership by the time the body makes its final decision in the middle of next month.

Late last night, players and staff at the club announced that there will be a press conference this morning in the Maryborough House Hotel at which Coughlan will be asked to "walk away from the club".

Announcing his decision to step down as chairman yesterday, and also confirming that he will relinquish ownership if current takeover talks prove successful, Coughlan told the Irish Examiner: "I’d become a lightning rod for controversy and I don’t want to stand in the way of progress at Cork City. I’ve made a huge personal and financial sacrifice and committed a lot of time and energy to the club but, at this stage, I’m retarding progress and I think the best thing I can do is step down."

Confirming the news, the club released a statement saying that it would shortly appoint an interim chairman to oversee the proposed takeover of the club and ensure its strategic development.

However, the FAI – who have repeatedly called for Coughlan to step aside – seemed distinctly unimpressed by the latest development. In a statement the association said: "Rather than talking of stepping down as chairman of Cork City FC, Mr Coughlan should immediately relinquish ownership of the club and allow in the parties who have expressed an interest in taking Cork City forward. These parties made their interest clear to Mr Coughlan many months ago, yet nothing has happened. Gestures at the 11th hour when it could be too late to rectify next season are too little, too late."

Coughlan’s announcement came a day after he lost in his High Court effort to overturn a 12-month FAI ban.

Ahead of today’s club licensing deadline, Coughlan said officials at Cork City were "working ‘round the clock to ensure everything is in order" but he also said that any proposed takeover could take a couple of weeks to finalise. The takeover talks involve a consortium headed up by businessman Michael O’Connell with input from Jim McCarthy of the finance management company Quintas.

"This isn’t going to happen overnight," Coughlan said yesterday, "but I’m hopeful that the interim chairman will be able to bring the takeover to a successful conclusion."

Commenting on the failure of his legal challenge to the FAI ban, Coughlan said that he had to accept the decision of the High Court.

"I still can’t fathom the severity of the penalty after I’ve worked 24 hours a day and eight days a week since I took over at the club," he said. "Bemused would be the best way to sum up my feelings. To me, it was a populist move by the FAI. The structures of the league are the problem, not just Tom Coughlan."

Coughlan said that, with a streamlined budget, he believed the club was in a "healthy situation" going in to the season and added that he would depart Turner’s Cross having given his best to the club.

Mayo Red
29/01/2010, 8:20 AM
"I’ve worked 24 hours a day and eight days a week since I took over at the club"

There's the problem, proof if any more were needed that TNB is sh1te with numbers!!;)

tiktok
29/01/2010, 8:27 AM
Press conference 10.30 am by players and staff who will demand Coughlan steps down.
There are claims they'll go on strike if he doesn't.
Should have happened months ago.

You can follow it on www.96fm.ie on the Neil Prendeville show this morning.

weecountyman
29/01/2010, 8:33 AM
Press conference 10.30 am by players and staff who will demand Coughlan steps down.
There are claims they'll go on strike if he doesn't.
Should have happened months ago.

You can follow it on www.96fm.ie (http://www.96fm.ie) on the Neil Prendeville show this morning.

If I were a Cork fan I'd be rather worried. No doubt Roddy's hand is in this somewhere, he's plugging friends in Dublin to rustle up cash to take a controlling share of his club now that his "Russian backers" have been found not to have returned any of his calls.

I'm tempted to feel sorry for Tom but for his 3 card trick mentality. This is a completely GUBU situation.

tiktok
29/01/2010, 8:50 AM
If I were a Cork fan I'd be rather worried. No doubt Roddy's hand is in this somewhere, he's plugging friends in Dublin to rustle up cash to take a controlling share of his club now that his "Russian backers" have been found not to have returned any of his calls.

I really don't think Roddy is in the frame to purchase a stake in the club at all, even if he had the readies, one of the legacy debts would be to a rival bidder who could instantly wind up the holding firm if he wanted to.

Licencing deadline today.

razor
29/01/2010, 9:19 AM
Players and staff issued a statement giving 10 grounds for wanting Tom out now.
some of which are

constantly reneging on payments to players and staff
(Players now have no wages since Nov14th 2009 and some staff are owed wages since July 2009.)

club doctor not paid in over 2 years
alienating sponsors
constant litigation

never a dull moment, press conference at 10.30.
better late than never.

Macy
29/01/2010, 9:21 AM
Players and staff issued a statement giving 10 grounds for wanting Tom out now.
some of which are
Pretty much the same criticism of the players and staff as the FAI made of TNB - too little too late. Why wait until Licencing decision day, given the time periods without pay?