PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

Block G Raptor
23/12/2009, 6:36 PM
Jesus it must be Christmas :) I've been off foot for ages and I just pop in to have a browse and read this. Roddy Collins is a complete and total chancer (and a few other adjectives that end in er) whatever chance CC had of survival is gone now

sligoman
23/12/2009, 6:38 PM
we believe that a professional club of Cork City's stature will wish to do the right thing for their reputation and image, the good of the game and for the betterment of both clubs.*He's never met Coughlan then:).

weecountyman
23/12/2009, 6:45 PM
This will bring a bit of Christmas cheer to our cousins by the Lee (forwarded from Malta with a picture of Rod holding up a Floriana shirt and "This is a dream move for me, I can't wait to get started, see the players and get us into Europe." From his first interview in Malta in July.

Shoddy Roddy Runs Again

"We didn't see it coming", writes Steve Borg, "he told us he'd see us in a few days, to keep going and we'd have a good Christmas". The stunned words of a first team player before training this evening. The announcement that Roddy Collins was now Cork City coach broke just before 6pm in Malta. Only last night a committee member had assured me that Roddy told him there would be nothing happening until after New Year as he wanted a fair deal for everyone. Last Wednesday when contacted by this reporter Collins said "I want to spend time with my family, the health isn't great after all the travelling I've been doing, and I need to get my head right before I even consider going somewhere else."

As it turned out the man dubbed "Shoddy Collins" by non-Green supporters had already agreed a deal with Cork City having been turned away by both Valletta and Sliema locally, Sliema President Steve Abela called him "too dangerous to be let near a club" while a member of the Citizens committee commented "we don't need the problems he brings." Collins had strenuously denied only on Sunday to a colleague from this paper that he had any intention of leaving Floriana and that he was "only just getting going", and he told the truth, he was getting going but out of Malta.

The banner unfurled by fans at the Qormi game (Collins = Liar, we know the truth) featured in a number of local papers and it seems that truth and Mr. Collins don't seem to co-exist. His pronouncements in the Irish media that he had not been paid since October (lie, this reporter sat with the Greens Treasurer and saw the receipts), that he had been thrown out of his house (lie, he wanted to trade in his villa for a smaller, cheaper place), that his car was repossessed (lie, he gave it back due to a dispute over rental price with the company) and that the players were never paid (lie, they are paid in the normal Maltese manner), have all the ring of desperation about them.

Two nights ago Mr. Collins was harrassing the acting President, Joe Cauchi, for his free release and threatening to do massive damage to the club if he didn't get it. He even, in return for the release, promised to come back for the Valletta game! Since last Tuesday he has spent his time calling all associated with the club, including a Development Officer who has had to take time off to be with his wife (she has just had a serious operation and they have a 2month baby to care for). Until last night Mr. Collins continued abusing committee and Executive members in order to secure a release, but was told he would need to wait for interclub contact and the result of his disciplinary hearing.

So what now for the Runaway Coach, will be lead Cork to the promised land or relegation? The fear in Floriana is that every club he has run from (Dublin City, Shamrock Rovers, Carlisle) suffered relegation and near destruction from his antics. A leading member of Floriana's supporters club had a clear view "It took a while to get used to him, he seemed a bit too over the top, but after a bad pre-season and poor start to the league, we started doing okay. But he was a bit erratic with supporters and media and then kept disappearing after games. Getting paid a thousand euros a week for 8 hours work, then telling lies about us, really isn't on. I just hope we get to Europe and meet Cork." Indeed.

As the Director of Irish Operations stated in his open letter last week to the club "Life goes on", without Shoddy Roddy maybe more mundane, but certainly more sane.

Copyright L-Orrizzont

superfrank
23/12/2009, 6:57 PM
Great article, particualrly loved this bit:

it seems that truth and Mr. Collins don't seem to co-exist.

weecountyman
23/12/2009, 7:01 PM
Great article, particualrly loved this bit:

I think that's called Maltese politeness ;) I'm waiting until tomorrow as the club will try to get hold of TNB, who of course will be out giving Christmas gifts to disadvantaged footballers formerly in the employ of, well, Cork City. I think this is why I love the LOI, "characters". :D

Forgot to pop this up earlier too. http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=99144

fbtn
23/12/2009, 7:06 PM
You really could not make this up. My mouth fell open when I heard this on the radio today.

I can only give my most sincere and genuine best wishes to FORAS and the rest of the Cork City fanbase.

If the will is there and I've no doubt it is, you will get rid of Coughlan. Keep pushing behind the scenes because he obviously isn't about to give up yet.

The FAI, the national media and the wider LOI fraternity are supporting you.

Honestly, the fact that Roddy is being unveiled as manager will only cement that support from anyone that has any bona fide interest in the domestic league.

LeixlipRed
23/12/2009, 7:29 PM
The FAI, the national media and the wider LOI fraternity are supporting you.

Yis are well and truly ****ed so :eek:

RĂ©iteoir
23/12/2009, 8:39 PM
The saying "you could write a book about this" springs to mind.What would the title of it be though???

http://www.jadeskaggs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dale-carnegie-how-to-win-friends-and-influence-people.png

razor
23/12/2009, 9:00 PM
I'm so sick of it all now.
Tom leaves players and staff unpaid 2 days before Christmas and then goes and signs a complete chancer for manager.

is it time for the GAA approach yet?

Mr_Parker
23/12/2009, 9:18 PM
Collins -New manager, new chairman or both?

Mayo Red
23/12/2009, 9:41 PM
I really thought things couldn't get any worse in this soap opera, but then Coughlan goes an appoints this shameless chancer!!:( I echo the sentiments of fbtn above about this mess.

Seems like Floriana have a good case for compo too and are determined to hold out for it!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1223/corkcity.html

Mayo Red
23/12/2009, 9:46 PM
Sliema President Steve Abela called him "too dangerous to be let near a club"

I love this quote, really sums up what the majority of LOI fans already knew about Shoddy!!

eamo1
23/12/2009, 11:06 PM
I hope Floriana have the balls,pardon the pun, and take Tom to court.Tom probably thinks they cant afford to or wont have the Will Power but i really hope they do.On the bright side this will be Roddy's last managerial job as nobody will forget what he's done and wont hire him again.

sligoman
23/12/2009, 11:15 PM
or wont have the Will PowerIs he anything to Paddy?

Dodge
23/12/2009, 11:27 PM
Roddy going to Cork is the best xmas gift smart ass fans of other LOI clubs could possibly have got

Thanks Tommy!

Longfordian
23/12/2009, 11:39 PM
It's so funny that I'm kind of sorry that he'll probably never take charge of a competitive game for them as they'll never get a licence with Mr. No Bobs there.

De Town
23/12/2009, 11:44 PM
On the bright side this will be Roddy's last managerial job as nobody will forget what he's done and wont hire him again.

Oh we've all thought that several times before...

Doomofman
24/12/2009, 12:15 AM
Oh we've all thought that several times before...

He's like Terminator 'I'll be back'

Ringo
24/12/2009, 6:16 AM
shoody shouldn't be let back in the country, never mind allowed run a club

Mayo Red
24/12/2009, 7:41 AM

That certainly gets my vote!!:D

What's possibly even worse is that we may have to endure him now again on MNS aswell!!

Dodge
24/12/2009, 8:10 AM

It should be in licensing that he has to manange a club in this league.

As long as it not Pats obviously

Leeside Swagger
24/12/2009, 8:54 AM
*We will be contacting Cork City F.C. owner Mr. Tom Coughlan to come to an arrangement where we will receive compensation to not bring this matter further than an amicable settlement.

Heh,heh good luck Joe:D

De Town
24/12/2009, 10:09 AM
Anyone see the picture on the back of today's Indo? Roddy holding a CCFC flag with "City til I die" written at the bottom of it. I nearly choked on my corn flakes! :D

dong
24/12/2009, 12:22 PM
Anyone see the picture on the back of today's Indo? Roddy holding a CCFC flag with "City til I die" written at the bottom of it. I nearly choked on my corn flakes! :D

Best of luck to them with that.:D

weecountyman
24/12/2009, 12:32 PM

Surely not!!! This is hilarious, John Cleese couldn't script better! Even today in the Maltese media they're having a laugh at Roddy's expense (it's a sideswipe at Floriana but other clubs are not yet joining in, even fans of other clubs are supposedly being decent as Roddy had been saying he would be a front runner for the Maltese job in a couple of years).

IN-NAZZJON Newspaper 24/12/09

(translation from Maltese by Google)

No Christmas Cheering for Collins

The Greens club have sent a strong message to Irish giants Cork City that they are not to be going walked on. A disappointed President Joe Cauchi told a brief media conference that he is sorry that Cork City now seem to have bought the lies made from the coach Roddy Collins too. "Only just one week earlier Roddy was pushing to be made 2 more years for his contract. He was satisfied we had fulfilled all the contract and with I and Alan, my colleague, he accepted to stay until the end of June, then said he would call us on Monday with the 2 years decision. On Monday we tried in fail to contact him and on Tuesday he said he was very ill and could no longer coach. He denied hardly that he was going for a new job. That night he began his demand for free release to get the job in Cork."

Worse making for the-Irish is that Collins had already approached 2 players on Friday 2 weeks ago to join him in Cork, Donovan Simmonds and Sunday Wasiu. Simmonds answered our request to speak saying "Roddy let me down yes, he played a game with my head and left us, the foreign pro's out to dry. He's a joke man." Wasiu, the fan hero for this season, said Collins asked him to join Cork before the Msida game through his agent. "I am happy in Malta, my wife and my daughter too. Roddy has been not

constant here and I think has problems in his mind as we found out he was not telling the truth."

As the club prepares for Saturday's derby the players are very hurt that their coach treated them with so disrespect. A senior player did not wish to speak more beyond saying "He is not a man". Collins is still unable to
coach Cork as he has not the correct licence for Europe and with the FA in Ireland preparing charges against Cork for illegal signing of a coach there will be little Christmas to cheer in for coach Collins.

Mark Chetcuti

Stevo Da Gull
24/12/2009, 2:16 PM
Reading the article above really helps to create feelings of contempt for Roddy. No honour or class, complete disregard for his colleagues and doesn't seem care about anything but himself. I feel for the Cork fans, and hope that ye don't have to put up with this spoofer for as long as you've had to put up with the other spoofer currently at your club.

Acornvilla
24/12/2009, 2:23 PM
Reading the article above really helps to create feelings of contempt for Roddy. No honour or class, complete disregard for his colleagues and doesn't seem care about anything but himself. I feel for the Cork fans, and hope that ye don't have to put up with this spoofer for as long as you've had to put up with the other spoofer currently at your club.
does he have a missus or kids?? god help them if he does

Stevo Da Gull
24/12/2009, 2:30 PM
does he have a missus or kids?? god help them if he does

He does, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt* that he loves them and that they have reasons to be fond of him.

*Don't ask me why :D

Dunny
24/12/2009, 2:38 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/5boe1.jpg

weecountyman
24/12/2009, 3:05 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/5boe1.jpg

I have a feeling that the Rod won't be taking his planned trip to visit Malta in the Easter with the family (he offered Floriana to "take a few sessions and a clinic" if they put him up in the Radisson. I'd like to say I'm messing, but he actually had the neck to go on Maltese radio with this yesterday!!! The flag will have him strung up for two reasons, it's a betrayal and Valletta are nicknamed "City", so his new found love will last under Easter Sunday, but he'd probably rise again!

pineapple stu
24/12/2009, 4:04 PM
His pronouncements in the Irish media that he had not been paid since October (lie, this reporter sat with the Greens Treasurer and saw the receipts)
How refreshing to read an article by a journalist who's not content just to copy and paste whatever he's told, but who wants to do some reporting and find the truth of the matter. Shows up our own pathetic lot.

Longfordian
24/12/2009, 4:15 PM
I must say I'm quite impressed with how the Maltese are reacting to this, club, fans, players and reporters. Taking no crap from the Rodster and letting him away with nothing. Hope Floriana put Roddy and/or Coughlan's Cork City out of business once and for all to be honest.

yiddo
24/12/2009, 8:17 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/iwoto/warning.jpg

mypost
26/12/2009, 3:48 AM
Which bloke is the warning referring to?

Kildareman
26/12/2009, 11:11 AM
Lets all buy a Floriana jersey to help support their legal expenses....

Just checked their website.

Its scary, it could actually past for a Cork City jersey!!!!! :)

weecountyman
26/12/2009, 2:48 PM
Lets all buy a Floriana jersey to help support their legal expenses....

Just checked their website.

Its scary, it could actually past for a Cork City jersey!!!!! :)

I'd the same idea (to buy a shirt), my buddy bought a couple earlier this month and there are a batch to go on sale in January in Ireland (through the Irish Director I think) according to the club. They're going to need a lift. Missing 6 first team players (not including the 2 long term injuries) for today's game against Valletta and an sms I just got says 4-0 down at the half. I don't think Roddy or Tom will get off as lightly after this!

weecountyman
27/12/2009, 6:30 AM
Greens left without Christmas gift - Neil Muscat for Malta Today Weekend
The pain didn't ease for the Floriana Irish last night with a 4-0 defeat at the hands of eternal rivals Valletta. Before the game player-coach Orosco Anonam was short no less than 8 starting eleven players through suspension or injury, and was forced to fill his bench with under-18's. Speaking before the match the Nigerian-born former Maltese International felt it would be a battle to keep heads up as the vastly superior citizens had no less than 8 current Maltese Internationals in the starting side. "We have prepared well for this but know we have a fight. If God wills it we will keep it as close as possible but it will not be easy."
Suspended skipper Julien Briffa refused to comment on the current head Coach situation, only that the club committee and executive were working hard to solve the problem. Asked if the players feel betrayed by Collins he would only say "He didn't regard too many of us highly as players and at times tried to get us to leave the club. He told Orosco that none of us would be good enough to get our game with Longford Town, I heard this and asked why not. But didn't get an answer. But out club is bigger than one person."
Acting President Joe Cauchi was tightlipped about the game and the Roddy Collins question yesterday after the game. "We will be bringing in a very good player this week from our partner club in Russia, and within the next 10 days will have at least 3 more triallists. I don't wish to speak about Collins as he is the subject of a Disciplinary Committee as well as a legal case." Asked if the club expected compensation from Collins apparent new employers Cork City F.C. of Ireland, Cauchi responded "Collins remains contracted to our club, he was never released and knows this. He has made many false allegations against us and brought our name into disrepute. He has not behaved in a gentlemanly fashion but I believe Cork City and their owners will have some decency in this and finally answer their phones."
Calls to Cork City F.C. offices and shop were curiously unanswered or disconnected last week, emails were not responded to and according to the FAI there is a large chance that the club will be expelled from the Premier Division and that Roddy Collins will be prevented from coaching until his contract expires (under UEFA law he cannot be contracted to two clubs at once without permission of constituent FA's). Meanwhile his former players battled to keep a clean sheet in the second half having conceded four in the first, something they couldn't do under his guidance.

RiffRaff
27/12/2009, 9:26 AM
"Suspended skipper Julien Briffa refused to comment on the current head Coach situation, only that the club committee and executive were working hard to solve the problem. Asked if the players feel betrayed by Collins he would only say "He didn't regard too many of us highly as players and at times tried to get us to leave the club. He told Orosco that none of us would be good enough to get our game with Longford Town, I heard this and asked why not. But didn't get an answer. But out club is bigger than one person."

Now I can overlook most things he's done, but this time he's gone just too far!

De Town
27/12/2009, 10:01 AM
What a ****.

Mr A
27/12/2009, 10:26 AM
Calls to Cork City F.C. offices and shop were curiously unanswered or disconnected last week, emails were not responded to and according to the FAI there is a large chance that the club will be expelled from the Premier Division and that Roddy Collins will be prevented from coaching until his contract expires (under UEFA law he cannot be contracted to two clubs at once without permission of constituent FA's).

Not sure how concrete this information is or exactly who they would have spoken to, but it certainly sounds significant. FORAS for D1.

pineapple stu
27/12/2009, 11:09 AM
True. I also like the bit about the FAI/UEFA maybe banning Collins. Good enough for him.

gael353
27/12/2009, 11:36 AM
Not sure how concrete this information is or exactly who they would have spoken to, but it certainly sounds significant. FORAS for D1.

doubt it. id say Forus led club in the A league playing in colmans. no way that crowd will get a licence

LeixlipRed
27/12/2009, 12:03 PM
You have to wonder how Collins was doing ok with Floriana if he was constantly abusing the players and trying to get rid of them. What a complete tool this fella is. Keep it coming Roddy!

Longfordian
27/12/2009, 12:22 PM
He told Orosco that none of us would [/B]be good enough to get our game with Longford Town, I heard this and asked why not. But didn't get an answer. But out club is bigger than one person."

Ah yes, Longford Town. That would be yet another club that had the good sense to tell him to f*** off when he came sniffing around.

tiktok
27/12/2009, 12:58 PM
doubt it. id say Forus led club in the A league playing in colmans. no way that crowd will get a licence

If FORAS do have a side playing senior football next season, there is no reason to go to Cobh for home games, I don't know why you'd think that games would be in St.Colman's pk.

The Collins situation is just farcical at this stage, but then that's the usual with Cork City.
Who'd have thought that last year's candidate of Billy Morgan would end up looking a good option.

gael353
27/12/2009, 2:17 PM
If FORAS do have a side playing senior football next season, there is no reason to go to Cobh for home games, I don't know why you'd think that games would be in St.Colman's pk..

because the rent of colmans would be way cheaper then turners cross?? unless you have another ground i dont know about. dont think bishopstown is suitable in its present state

tiktok
27/12/2009, 3:24 PM
because the rent of colmans would be way cheaper then turners cross?? unless you have another ground i dont know about. dont think bishopstown is suitable in its present state

Just because something might be cheaper doesn't mean it's the right financial decision.
Anyway, nothing is in stone.

dcfc1928
27/12/2009, 4:06 PM
The FAI need to step in immediately and end this nightmare once and for all.

weecountyman
27/12/2009, 4:49 PM
Ah yes, Longford Town. That would be yet another club that had the good sense to tell him to f*** off when he came sniffing around.

Wasn't there a time, maybe 3-4 years ago, or less, that Roddy was going to buy Longford? I don't know if I read about it, saw it on a forum or heard it on the radio, but he was in negotiations? Apparently they're not as good as he thought they were ;)

Longfordian
27/12/2009, 5:28 PM
Yeah he made an approach with some mates of his almost two years ago. They weren't able to come up with proof that they had any money though and he was pretty much left in little doubt by the supporters he wasn't wanted. It obviously hurt him more deeply than he was letting on!.