PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

The Lilywhites
02/01/2010, 9:58 PM
Sarcasm right?

No :confused: isn't that why they were promoted in the first place? :confused:

Doomofman
02/01/2010, 10:09 PM
No :confused: isn't that why they were promoted in the first place? :confused:

They were broke like 2 seasons ago...

The Lilywhites
02/01/2010, 11:13 PM
They were promoted 3 seasons ago for being the "best run club in Ireland".

sheao
02/01/2010, 11:34 PM
Roddy was on 96 fm earlier today and he was saying that he will get City playing attacking flowing football and 100% guarntees that City fans will get their value for money . Also says he wants to sign 8 players.

PartySaint
02/01/2010, 11:41 PM
I can already see the final episode of next season in the Cork City Show, It will be George O'Callaghan talking a Peno in the last minute of the last game of the season to win Cork the league, But unfortunatly during their celebrations one of their players will be shot while holding the trophy up infront of the shed because he was having an affair with Tom Caughlans missus

brianw82
03/01/2010, 12:16 AM
I can already see the final episode of next season in the Cork City Show, It will be George O'Callaghan talking a Peno in the last minute of the last game of the season to win Cork the league, But unfortunatly during their celebrations one of their players will be shot while holding the trophy up infront of the shed because he was having an affair with Tom Caughlans missus

That's completely unrealistic.

George never finishes a season at the same club he started it with.

weecountyman
03/01/2010, 12:59 AM

I think it'll be in the Leinster Senior Cup final after Tom and Roddy do an MK Dons and relocate the club to Cabra (having taken Bohs place in the 1st Division) :D

Still, Roddy hasn't won the Ist Division before, and factually he'll never be able to say he's never been relegated. Now if cats start sleeping with dogs I'm blaming the Mayans!

KianD
03/01/2010, 1:59 AM
That's completely unrealistic.

George never finishes a season at the same club he started it with.

Seeing as he's training with Brighton (again) atm, he may only end up at Cork again mid-season to begin with ;)

weecountyman
03/01/2010, 9:57 AM
Floriana's Acting President is on Maltese TV at lunchtime (there) with the temporary coach, some sort of statement expected. Captain, assistant manager, club secretary and club lawyer due also.

thischarmingman
03/01/2010, 10:01 AM
Floriana's Acting President is on Maltese TV at lunchtime (there) with the temporary coach, some sort of statement expected. Captain, assistant manager, club secretary and club lawyer due also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek8Gex_NYwQ

weecountyman
03/01/2010, 10:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek8Gex_NYwQ

:D I was thinking more like "Only Fools and Football Fans" :cool:

My buddy is back over and is going to give me a bell with what goes down, I have a feeling it'll be something like: "We are offering a novena for the supporters of Cork City F.C. and are sacrificing a goat, camel and rabbit to bring the axis of evil that currently governs TCFC to an end."

Yeah, that's a thought, couldn't WMD's be found in the back of TNB's Bentley and Roddy's merc? Maybe it'd be appropriate to make a statement to the UN "They can launch spoof-filled rockets within 15minutes, if they've paid their internet and phone bills, and are a danger to peaceful neighbouring friendly clubs, Cobh, Waterford, Limerick." I'm sure Colin Powell can be convinced to drop by and give a good spiel. :)

gael353
03/01/2010, 1:31 PM
Galway down? Pretty disappointing as they seem to be getting things right off the park.

WTF:rolleyes:

weecountyman
03/01/2010, 4:40 PM
WTF:rolleyes:

I've been to a couple of games the last 2 seasons in Galway and spoken with club officials. They're trying to at least rectify the mess they landed in by over-reaching. They aren't helped with a god awful local council who think that sport should be wiped from the face of "Ireland's city of culture and art" - as they called it in 2003.

weecountyman
04/01/2010, 8:15 AM
Floriana set out plan for campaign
Henry Brincat was at a hastily arranged media meeting today acting President Joe Cauchi took on the burden of answering the onslaught of questions related to Roddy Collins and the future of Floriana F.C.. After the briefest of statements, with no mention of the runaway coach, the Greens leader openly faced the media for the first time proper since the Collins debacle began.

"Did you have any idea Collins would jump to Cork?" - "No," Cauchi answered in his typically honest way "he swore he hadn't spoken to them or even had an interest in joining them. He said it was jumping from the frying pan to the fire."

"When did he tell you he was not coming back?" - "On Tuesday he called a number of club people and that evening sent an email saying he was leaving because he could not travel from Dublin and he was seeking alternative employment. But when he first spoke with our members that day he again denied speaking with or wanting to go to Cork. It was only that evening he began saying he now was going for the job."

Regarding Collins' claims of being owed money Treasurer Alex Cassar, a BOV manager, took up the story. "I have given you all the accounts related to Roddy Collins, he was paid all the way from July until December 11th, his last week working. For almost 2 months he chose to travel between here and Ireland, despite our registered committment to our obligations. For all his travel only 2 flights were paid by Roddy Collins, on December 13th Malta-London-Dublin. He owes members of the club in excess of €3,000 that he promised to repay by Chirstmas."

The notarised documents distributed to those present confirmed that Collins had indeed been paid fully and that this salary, 30% higher than any other coach in the league, was further supplemented by his lifestyle choices. Added to this the notarised and dated meeting minutes from Collins' first attempt to flee after the shock against Dingli, and the Irishman's comments on Newstalk 106 in Ireland seem more than just slanderous lies. In an attempt to add balance this paper called Mr. Collins in Ireland but received no comment. Cork City were unavailable for comment. While it is not for the good of anyone this case could well end up with a long term ban for the sport for Roddy Collins and with Cork's impending demotion and financial meltdown, no reward for the Maltese Irish.

weecountyman
04/01/2010, 9:09 AM
From l-Orizzont today (translated by google)

At the Independence Arena Floriana have set their case for the first time with Mr. Roddy Collins. The coach has until this weeks end to apologise for his false allegations in the media or face serious charges by the courts and Football Unions. With evidence in support Joe Cauchi, Alex Cassar and Dione Borg sat with team captain Julien Briffa to face a questions. All centred on the Irish coach with his behaviour. "Why was he irrational?" "Why Cork?" "What about money owed to him?" All answered with legal documents in support and a letter from the MFA to complete the claim of abandoning his post. Collins told the reporter of this paper on only December 12th that he was going to bring over his family for Christmas and New Year to move to a new house as his wife loves Malta. "What for the Cork job?" He laughed into the face and stated on tape, "Cork is a shambles, nobody is paid, the owner is a headcase, up in cloud cuckoo land and they won't even have a club. The only way is for fans to get rid of the (unprinted) in charge and be like Rovers." The reporter asked about the Evening Echo report. "Lies, I don't want to manage Cork, why would I go there when we're doing well." Asked about club problems he had mentioned on the tv show "Replay", "All sorted, sure it was only trying to fix things." Asked if he was happy and his contract support "I'm after being offered 2 more years, and I'll ask my family if they want to be here for 2 more years, the wife loves it here, the kids too, and young Rod will be in England soon and anyway." Finally the question on the supporters mouths, this season, how will it be. "I plan to make us into the best team in Malta in 3 years, no question. We have the money, the support, the plans are right, and if we're not league champions in 2 years then I'll walk away as I've failed. This year we get to Europe, next year challenge for the league and then win it, and I don't ever plan on leaving."

Recently Collins praised the "headcase" and attacked the supporters of Cork City FC, declaring how honoured he is to be in the club. Since July he has spoke of building a kingdom in Floriana, a top club with top facilities. Now he is in the fire away from the frying pan.

pineapple stu
04/01/2010, 9:12 AM
Recently Collins praised the "headcase"
Still talking about himself, I see.

A face
04/01/2010, 9:54 AM
This league is dead in the water with guys like him involved. And i dont care if he is a character, players wont hang about for another season of controversy and Collins is only going to contribute to that, that is a given

dcfcsteve
04/01/2010, 3:36 PM
Why oh why oh why would ANY club be stupid enough to have dealings with Shoddy Collins...?! :eek:

The guy has ledt a steaming pile of sh!te behind him everywhere he's been, and bar what now appears to be more luck than judgement during his time at Bohs, he has delivered nothing in return for anyone.

Seriously - why are the langers letting this eejit anywhere near an Irish club again ? We all know how this is going to end....... :o

osarusan
04/01/2010, 3:39 PM
Seriously - why are the langers letting this eejit anywhere near an Irish club again ?
I think it is just one langer involved, to be fair.

passerrby
04/01/2010, 3:41 PM
Why oh why oh why would ANY club be stupid enough to have dealings with Shoddy Collins...?! :eek:

The guy has ledt a steaming pile of sh!te behind him everywhere he's been, and bar what now appears to be more luck than judgement during his time at Bohs, he has delivered nothing in return for anyone.

Seriously - why are the langers letting this eejit anywhere near an Irish club again ? We all know how this is going to end....... :o

The answer is in the question..... langers or more correct langer

Longfordian
04/01/2010, 3:42 PM
We'll likely only have to put up with him until February or so because I really don't see Cork being a Premier Division club and I don't think Roddy does the First Division. That's presuming Tom and co even make it that far.

tiktok
04/01/2010, 3:50 PM
The guy has ledt a steaming pile of sh!te behind him everywhere he's been

Ah, but we've yet to see what he can do when the steaming pile of sh!te is already in place.

John83
04/01/2010, 3:59 PM
Ah, but we've yet to see what he can do when the steaming pile of sh!te is already in place.
As if there hasn't been enough muck raking already.

weecountyman
04/01/2010, 5:54 PM
Do you have a link for that?

It was sent via email but you can get it from the website - www.l-orrizont.com.mt (http://www.l-orrizont.com.mt) now maybe that link is incorrect (no hyphen). But it's the L-orrizont newspaper, Malta (the Labour party publication).

Floriana are playing tonight in the first of 2 make or break games (against Tarxien). A draw will help them a win even better but to lose will have them facing life in the relegation pool. The write up will be on www.maltafootball.com (http://www.maltafootball.com) And just in case anyone is wondering, the replica shirts will be available in Ireland from mid-January. The Irish Director of the club is looking after orders.

sligoman
04/01/2010, 6:55 PM
Floriana are playing tonight in the first of 2 make or break games (against Tarxien). A draw will help them a win even better but to lose will have them facing life in the relegation pool.2-0 down, in the 2nd half now.

weecountyman
04/01/2010, 8:18 PM
2-0 down, in the 2nd half now.

Got an sms saying 2-1 final score. That's 3 losses in a row. I know they've an injury crisis and a tiny squad, plus apparently Roddy is negotiating with one of the full backs to bring him to Cork (according to yesterday's Star). I don't think the man knows when to cop on and act decent. If Floriana don't get 4 of the next 6 points they're in the relegation pool for sure.

Longfordian
04/01/2010, 8:57 PM
I think history shows he has no idea what decent behaviour and respect is. Whatever suits him best is what he'll do.

Stevo Da Gull
05/01/2010, 1:16 PM
I think history shows he has no idea what decent behaviour and respect is. Whatever suits him best is what he'll do.

Spot on!
I hope that he doesn't get to manage Cork for a single game, in any division. Justice would be if he were left unemployed, with a lawsuit bearing down on him from Floriana.

Hairy Bowsie
05/01/2010, 5:46 PM
In simple terms, Roddy is scum.

tiktok
05/01/2010, 9:56 PM
Eleven-a-side reporting Cork City are under a transfer embargo until the audited accounts for 2009 are submitted and assessed, 29th January at the earliest. There's only a handful of players under contract now ( and all were broken by the club so are now free agents). Bohs too.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/bohemians/news.asp?n=37829

Also, Joe Gamble has signed for Hartlepool United.
Best of luck to him, better off out of it with a young kid to support, sad as it is to say it.

LeixlipRed
06/01/2010, 9:10 PM
All these Floriana guys sound like characters from Goodfellas. Wouldn't you love if Roddy turned up dead? I'd laugh :D

Acornvilla
06/01/2010, 9:12 PM
All these Floriana guys sound like characters from Goodfellas. Wouldn't you love if Roddy turned up dead? I'd laugh :D
ah... i wouldnt wish death upon him but a life-long ban from the game and rte would be nice

LeixlipRed
06/01/2010, 9:30 PM
I wouldn't wish death on him. But if an accident were to befall him...

Acornvilla
06/01/2010, 9:32 PM
I wouldn't wish death on him. But if an accident were to befall him...
a horrific scrabble accident:rolleyes:

weecountyman
07/01/2010, 4:56 AM

Sicily is right next door :cool: Or as Roddy said when taking the job "an hour away by boat".

juan
07/01/2010, 7:13 AM
Sicily is right next door :cool: Or as Roddy said when taking the job "an hour away by boat".

No doubt he got used to visiting old cousin vinny over there

weecountyman
07/01/2010, 8:20 AM
No doubt he got used to visiting old cousin vinny over there

Maybe that's who's going to fund you guys this year! He did claim he was bringing investment with him, so if fat Tony and Louis the Lips are sitting in Turners Cross this year, don't say you weren't forewarned! :D

LeixlipRed
07/01/2010, 8:30 AM
I hope that ninja guy turns up, the one who does nothing until Homer closes the door. I'd pay to see him fight Roddy.

weecountyman
07/01/2010, 11:16 AM
LexlipRed, it could be a bunch of angry Maltese at this rate. This morning it was formally announced that Sunday Wasiu (the striker - ex Luton and Colchester) was leaving to go to Cork. Wasiu has been the talisman this season and only recently was in poor form. He's allowed to leave, under a contract that was drawn up by Roddy and not approved by the committee (as it was supposedly on a Friday evening before they played Valletta), for a mere €5,000. The Maltese media have jumped all over it as today in l-orrizont there was the story of the revolving door at the club - a Serb goalie signed for a month did his knee ligaments in the weekends game and has to leave, while the club sign a defender (who was on trial) from their partner club in Russia. Then Sunday formally announces his departure.

http://www.l-orizzont.com/news.asp?newsitemid=59433 - this time I'll let others google the translation (under google translate).

tiktok
07/01/2010, 11:23 AM
Reported in the Evening Echo Newspaper yesterday that Cork City's wage budget for next season's playing staff will be €20,000 per month so approximately €5,000 per week. One would have to assume, if this is true, that the Cork City squad next year will be predominantly part-time, even amateur. It makes a bit of a mockery of some of the names the club has been linked with in recent weeks.

One knock-on from this is that a predominantly part-time set-up would require floodlit evenings/night training sessions for much of the season, which Bishopstown won't provide [though rumours are we've been locked out of there for weeks now, only the postponement of underage games due to the bad weather is keeping it quiet].

Of course, the budget for 2009 presented to the FAI and High Court post examinership was reportedly €12,000 per week, which might have worked if it had been stuck to but people got carried away. At one stage last year we were reported in the Evening Echo to be paying over €140,000 p.m. or over €35,000 p.w. in wages, roughly three times what was the initial plan it seems.

tiktok
07/01/2010, 11:26 AM
This morning it was formally announced that Sunday Wasiu (the striker - ex Luton and Colchester) was leaving to go to Cork. Wasiu has been the talisman this season and only recently was in poor form. He's allowed to leave, under a contract that was drawn up by Roddy and not approved by the committee (as it was supposedly on a Friday evening before they played Valletta), for a mere €5,000.

How can he sign someone on a transfer when the FAI have imposed a transfer embargo on the club? This just gets messier and messier.

Edit: By the way, it appears that we've "Kevin Doyled" them.

Buile Shuibhne
07/01/2010, 11:45 AM
How can he sign someone on a transfer when the FAI have imposed a transfer embargo on the club? This just gets messier and messier.

He can sign whoever he likes - but the FAI won't accept any registrations while the embargo is still in force.

Like Roddy himself - any 'signings' are a waste of time & space.

weecountyman
07/01/2010, 12:31 PM
It's not clear what the story is but apparently Sunday is flying, no pun intended, on Sunday to Ireland to meet up with Roddy for pre-season.

I'm shocked at how small the budget is set for this year, I'm not 100% but Roddy complained that the budget in Malta was "only €18,000 a month" on Newstalk. There the cost of living and wage levels are significantly lower, plus travel is non-existent. So it seems a bit odd now. Maybe Diamond Joe Quimby is on board as well in Cork :-)

higgins
07/01/2010, 6:42 PM
You submitted a plan to the FAI that said you would pay €12,000 per week in wages.
The FAI sign off on all contracts ?

Why did they let cork go up to €35,000 per week at one stage?
All payments over the table?

The FAI are as much to blame as Cork if they only agreed to 12k in the pre season budget.

What a stupid league

Ezeikial
07/01/2010, 11:15 PM
Reported in the Evening Echo Newspaper yesterday that Cork City's wage budget for next season's playing staff will be €20,000 per month so approximately €5,000 per week.

For what it is worth a journo friend relayed to me that Coughlan recently told him the budget would be €500k (presumably €12,500 pw over 40 weeks).

I have no idea if this is true (TNB probably doesn't either) but have no doubt about the veracity of the conversation.

Doomofman
07/01/2010, 11:17 PM
Anyone else feel like Cork is a lame horse at this stage? Should be taken out of it's misery...

De Town
07/01/2010, 11:41 PM
Anyone else feel like Cork is a lame horse at this stage? Should be taken out of it's misery...

Its been a lame horse for a long time, and it should have been put down months ago.

weecountyman
08/01/2010, 8:27 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/floriana-threaten-collins-with-court-2004940.html

A vet with a gun might come in handy now, with two magic bullets.

osarusan
08/01/2010, 8:47 AM
From the link above - last paragraph
Earlier this week, Alan Mathews withdrew his legal proceedings against the club, a development which means that his case comes back under the remit of licensing. Mathews is listed as an employment creditor dating back to 2008, thus adding to the bill that the Leesiders need to settle if they are to have any chance of remaining in the top flight.

Good or bad news for Cork / Coughlan?

HammerNThongs
08/01/2010, 9:00 AM
From the link above - last paragraph

Good or bad news for Cork / Coughlan?

Bad news for Coughlan. I'm happy with it though. Hopefully will force him to sell up based on no licence...or just to **** off.