PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

Dodge
05/08/2009, 2:57 PM
Okay the revenue are paid, what about the players??

He should release them all, and pay their back money when he can

eamo1
05/08/2009, 3:01 PM
Piece on Errortel about it.
http://www.rte.ie/aertel/221-01.html

As has been said already see you all back here in 2 or 3 months,same thread,different date,same outcome????:confused:

White Horse
05/08/2009, 3:01 PM

I trust he will remember this time that there is a tax implication to back pay.

Mr A
05/08/2009, 3:04 PM
Yep- so players already owed 180k back wages (Based on 120k monthly figure in papers and 6 weeks behind). Plus tax on top of that.

So with a bunch of prize-money and sponsorship already used there's most likely over 200k owed, before any other creditors are considered.

The battle may be won, but the course of the war still isn't looking good for CCFC.

John83
05/08/2009, 3:08 PM
Yep- so players already owed 180k back wages (Based on 120k monthly figure in papers and 6 weeks behind). Plus tax on top of that.

So with a bunch of prize-money and sponsorship already used there's most likely over 200k owed, before any other creditors are considered.

The battle may be won, but the course of the war still isn't looking good for CCFC.
They're paid monthly, but are two weeks overdue. Whatever hack journalist who wrote 6 weeks unpaid needs a good beating. That means that €120k is owed, with the same bill coming again in a few weeks.

But, yes, Cork limp on.

thischarmingman
05/08/2009, 3:11 PM

That means that €120k is owed, with the same bill coming again in a few weeks.

This.

eamo1
05/08/2009, 3:11 PM
When its put like that with 200k STILL owed then you'd have to wonder why the plug wasnt pulled last Friday.It's just prolonging the agony.The only way they can possibily get out of that hole is put out a youth team for the rest of the season.How are the Cork players getting by having not been paid for 6 weeks??

Schumi
05/08/2009, 3:13 PM

Can they get a new club outside the transfer window?

John83
05/08/2009, 3:14 PM
....How are the Cork players getting by having not been paid for 6 weeks??
I fear for this country. I really do.

Real ale Madrid
05/08/2009, 3:14 PM
Feels like jumping out of an electric chair onto a sinking ship.

Mr A
05/08/2009, 3:16 PM
They're paid monthly, but are two weeks overdue. Whatever hack journalist who wrote 6 weeks unpaid needs a good beating. That means that €120k is owed, with the same bill coming again in a few weeks.

But, yes, Cork limp on.

I'm aware of the monthly aspect, I was looking at it from the point of view that 2 weeks of the month have passed so that money is already owed.

What it boils down to is that they need to shed as many players on decent wages as quickly as possible and it's not clear whether that's even possible.

DeLorean
05/08/2009, 3:17 PM
Certainly no LOI team, but Cork is not Ireland's 2nd biggest city. According to the 2006 Irish Census, the population figures are:

Cork City = 119,418
Metropolitan Cork = 274,000
County Cork = 481,295

By contrast, the latest population figures from NI are:
Belfast City = 267,374
Greater (or "Metropolitan") Belfast = 645,536.

Yeah I think everybody was aware that Belfast is bigger than Cork but I think in LOI terms it's fair to call it our second biggest City (it is bigger than Derry as far as I know).

Anyway the news is good-
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0805/corkcity.html

micls
05/08/2009, 3:18 PM
Rumours flying around that he has sold up.

pineapple stu
05/08/2009, 3:26 PM
Better the devil you know?

micls
05/08/2009, 3:27 PM
Better the devil you know?

Not when it's Coughlan, no.

pineapple stu
05/08/2009, 3:30 PM
Could have said that about Arkaga too. Especially with this Quintas crowd getting mentioned. That's all I'm thinking.

Assume it's not FORAS who're being linked?

micls
05/08/2009, 3:33 PM
Could have said that about Arkaga too. Especially with this Quintas crowd getting mentioned. That's all I'm thinking.
Ive no doubt with Coughlan in charge we'l be run into the ground sooner or later, so it's worth a shot imo.

Assume it's not FORAS who're being linked?

No.

Dodge
05/08/2009, 3:34 PM
Personally can't wait to start getting back to slagging the l@ngers now that they've been saved a winding up by revenue

adamd164
05/08/2009, 3:44 PM
Great news. :) Shels and Rovers fans must be gutted.

Fester
05/08/2009, 3:55 PM
Great news... for now......

Cici900
05/08/2009, 4:07 PM
What holds in the future for city? Whens the next tax bill due? Another few weeks and the same thread will be here but there won't be a lifeline because they've pulled all there stops out now. The players can't get by without being paid so he'll have to leave them go. Cork only way out is go to the bare bones of a team and spend a minimum of cash. That way they mightn't deliver on the pitch for a couple of years but in that time they'll have built a good enough base to build a strong team again. Its that or have no club. Unless T.C sells.....

RoversHead
05/08/2009, 4:18 PM
wrong on both counts ,are you and marinobohs related?

John83
05/08/2009, 4:33 PM
Personally can't wait to start getting back to slagging the l@ngers now that they've been saved a winding up by revenue
Well, someone has to be winding them up.

brianw82
05/08/2009, 6:26 PM
When its put like that with 200k STILL owed then you'd have to wonder why the plug wasnt pulled last Friday.It's just prolonging the agony.The only way they can possibily get out of that hole is put out a youth team for the rest of the season.How are the Cork players getting by having not been paid for 6 weeks??

Is there any reason why football players can't just be made redundant en masse like employees in any other industry?

Sheridan
05/08/2009, 6:40 PM
They can if the club gets liquidated! Otherwise, their contracts are too lucrative for a football club (as opposed to a massive multinational) to pay off.

GalwayRed
05/08/2009, 6:45 PM
Is there any reason why football players can't just be made redundant en masse like employees in any other industry?
You cant make somebody redundant unless you can prove you dont need them or anyone else to do the job theyre doing anymore afaik. Ie. if cork city make a midfielder redundant to cut the wage bill and then replace him with a player on amateur terms than thats grounds for unfair dismissal as cork city did actually need a midfielder they were just trying to cut costs. They would have to pay off the midfielders contract in full to release him.

christo
05/08/2009, 6:50 PM

They'd still owe the overdue wages and probably have to pay a % of their remaining contract though wouldn't they

John83
05/08/2009, 6:56 PM
Possibly the same one that means an employee may be sold like an asset. Football's relationship with labour law is... difficult.

Hairy Bowsie
05/08/2009, 7:07 PM

Don't flatter yourself. I'm disappointed that cheating isn't being punished but it would be the same no matter what the club.

marinobohs
05/08/2009, 8:52 PM
wrong on both counts ,are you and marinobohs related?

Nope. its only in Tallaght that everyone is related (ask your parents) :D

You cant make somebody redundant unless you can prove you dont need them or anyone else to do the job theyre doing anymore afaik. Ie. if cork city make a midfielder redundant to cut the wage bill and then replace him with a player on amateur terms than thats grounds for unfair dismissal as cork city did actually need a midfielder they were just trying to cut costs. They would have to pay off the midfielders contract in full to release him.

Legal definition of redundancy relates to the job so technically a player made redundant could not be replaced (as outlined above),effectively the job must be redundant There would also be legal issues around breach of contract (under contract law not Labour law),

Congrats again to Cork on the latest great escape (no celebrating though, you know how it upsets some people :rolleyes:)

ped_ped
05/08/2009, 9:23 PM
Congratulations to Cork! I'm happy they pulled through. I now hope now you slim down your wage bill, and if you don't, I won't shed a tear when it happens again.

sheao
05/08/2009, 9:55 PM
I'm delighted that Cork City fc are still in business. Lets hope other issues such as payer + staff wages will be sorted out as soon as possible.

RoversHead
06/08/2009, 2:37 AM
I'm delighted that Cork City fc are still in business. Lets hope other issues such as payer + staff wages will be sorted out as soon as possible.
The reason why im not delighted with the outcome is that I dont believe that the future of Cork City fc has been advanced in anyway what so ever by the events of yesterday .The notion that shamrock rovers fans would delight in Cork City going out of existance is a nonsence ,we gave FORAS a platform at halftime on our last meeting in Tallaght because we believe that the only people who are fit to run the club are those who love it most namely Cork city fans themselves .With Turners cross being owned by the Munster FA I think the time was right to draw a line under it and start again under fans ownership and management .Yes it would be tough on players and staff and starting all over in the graveyard will not be nice but they are going to have to do that anyway .Ill congradulate Adam and other Cork fans when they take back thier club and controll thier destiny.As for you marinobohs you if you are a Bohs member have allready been in controll of your own destiny and look what you have done and please feel free to compare it to what we are doing

adamd164
06/08/2009, 11:20 AM
Case closed in court this morning.

From someone who was there:

Hey lads just back.

Done and dusted. Quote "full amount owing has been discharged"

Orders made vacating all previous orders, liberty to withdraw the petition, Petition struck out and costs to be taxed in dafult of agreement (as explained by Ah Well above)

No tom coughlan present but Olan Kelleher (our solicitor) and our barrister were there, the other side only had their barrister. Noel Mooney and Steve Dwyere (?) from the FAI were both there.

Mr A
06/08/2009, 11:28 AM
Here's the bit referred to on costs:

CCIFC Ltd have agreed to pay the Revenue's costs obviously ... I'm assuming the Court makes/has already made an Order for Costs to be "taxed in default of agreement" => which means that if there is a dispute as to the amount of costs sought by the Revenue then it will be "taxed" by the Court as to the proper amount to be sought and then binding on both sides ... this is relevant as the amount of costs will be very substantial indeed

I would assume that that represents another very large bill on the way to Cork.

Longfordian
06/08/2009, 11:30 AM
I'd say you could be talking over six figures for total costs though I guess their own legal team may take it easy on them.

pineapple stu
06/08/2009, 11:46 AM
Also means the Alan Matthews case is back on.

belfastred
06/08/2009, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure if this is correct but I heard on another forum that the Cork monthly player wage bill is around 120k! :eek:

How the hell did a club who average around 3,000 expect to able to pay these bills? :(

bigmac
06/08/2009, 12:47 PM

Different kettle of fish with short term contracts. The way contract staff are laid off is generally that their contracts either aren't renewed or there's a clause in the contract allowing for termination by either party with a certain amount of notice - obviously this wouldn't be a clause that any football club would like to insert!

Sam_Heggy
06/08/2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure if this is correct but I heard on another forum that the Cork monthly player wage bill is around 120k! :eek:

How the hell did a club who average around 3,000 expect to able to pay these bills? :(

Are you new here?

razor
06/08/2009, 1:46 PM
They're paid monthly, but are two weeks overdue. Wages were due on July 29th so they are a week late (or deferred)
They are to receive 40% of those wages today.

EalingGreen
06/08/2009, 1:50 PM
Having presumably begged/mortgaged/borrowed etc to the hilt to stave off this latest crisis, do Cork fans think their club will be able to at least "tread water" financially to the end of the season?

And if so, what then? Is there a chance that they will still be relegated anyhow, due to points deduction or withdrawal of license etc, which could itself see the club fold in any case?

Indeed, is there a possibility that "the next wave" will still "swamp" them before then?

Mr A
06/08/2009, 1:50 PM
Very tough on the players. Their pay may only be a week late but when you're paid monthly that could be a right bitch, especially for the guys who aren't on big money. On the other hand unless they're totally dense (and we are talking about footballers here) they should have seen this coming.

Roo69
06/08/2009, 1:55 PM
What next for Cork City FC?

Will they survive until the end of the season? Will they have enough finance's coming in to be able to run the club?

dcfcsteve
07/08/2009, 12:54 AM
What next for Cork City FC?

Will they survive until the end of the season? Will they have enough finance's coming in to be able to run the club?

"Tune in next month to find out - on 'When Good Clubs Go Bad' (cue overly dramatic music...) ".

L37Ultra
07/08/2009, 2:51 AM

They didn't.

Thats the problem.

tiktok
07/08/2009, 8:15 AM
"Tune in next month to find out - on 'When Good Clubs Go Bad' (cue overly dramatic music...) ".

Indeed, may as well sticky this thread!

Kildareman
07/08/2009, 11:57 AM
Has it been revealed yet where the monies to pay the outstanding amount owed actual came from.
Was it the FAI ???
Was it Celtic ???
Was it this cross channel company mentioned somewhere (on the CCFC Forum?).

Come to think of it, how did Cork get a licence at all. There must have been money issues after coming out of administration last year.

Still its good to see them still playing footy in Cork.

endabob1
07/08/2009, 12:05 PM

Surely it should be next week :D

SkStu
18/08/2009, 7:29 PM
didnt know where else to put this...

30:43 GOAL - Denis Behan:
Hartlepool 1 - 0 Bristol Rovers Denis Behan scores a headed goal from deep inside the penalty area. Hartlepool 1-0 Bristol Rovers.