PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

CuanaD
11/02/2010, 8:58 PM
Rumours in a pub in Cork that TNB managed to pat revenue.

Any truth to this?

CuanaD
11/02/2010, 9:02 PM
Rumours in a pub in Cork that TNB managed to pat revenue.

Any truth to this?

Sorry, realise now I should have gone back a page

sheao
11/02/2010, 10:01 PM
A FORAS club in the first division in my opinion is the best option for us !

Longfordian
11/02/2010, 10:12 PM
Is Premier Division football and European Football and 1 year or so of the name Cork City really worth the hundreds of thousands that has to be paid whether Tom takes a payoff or not. It just seems a strange business decision when there's a clearly viable alternative. These guys seem to be businessmen not Arab sheikhs who would drop more from their pockets.

srfc1928
11/02/2010, 10:26 PM
A FORAS club in the first division in my opinion is the best option for us !
In the long run, this seems like a more sensible option.
or
Business men come in, save club, just seems more of the same of what went before.

Would the people of Cork not be more inclined to get behind a football club that is owned by the people.

Scrufil
11/02/2010, 11:15 PM
FORAS are going to be taken for a ride if they vote for the new consortium. There is practically no time at this stage to do any proper 'digging' up of facts on the connections and backgrounds of this new group. Who in their right mind would want their club even associated with anyone from Millwall? Millwall is an English club and no-one from over there with any experience would want to touch Cork City, especially since the 'turfing out' of some top Cork players. Don't give me this 'Real soccer man' ideal, sure isn't Coughlan one of them? The 'semi-retired' tag of Gray indicates that he doesn't give too hoots one way or the other. A very dangerous bed-fellow to sleep with. In many ways its better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't. FORAS are also running a huge risk of being the 'bad guy' in all this. If they vote for it now and the club goes bust mid-season or at the end of the season they will have 'moved too fast'. If they vote against they will be seen as having kicked Cork when they were down and doing nothing to help. All FORAS can hope for is that the revenue does the job for you and takes the decision out of your hands.

weecountyman
12/02/2010, 5:48 AM
A rumour that erupted yeseterday in certain circles in Dublin (I believe any Bohs insiders on here can confirm this) is that one Mr. Steve Collins is being used as a name for the "UK consortium". His solicitor was down in Cork yesterday but apparently left without signing or concluding anything. Also being bandied about (by "a source close to Roddy Collins") is Fran Rooney who is to come on board as an investment magnet - he was announced as the same by Roddy for Malta way back when, without ever taking up the role. Today will be interesting.

culloty82
12/02/2010, 7:38 AM
The latest news seems to make no sense whatsoever, better for FORAS to continue pursuing their own licence and start with a clean slate rather than wasting money clearing debts for which they've no responsibility. Also, it's virtually impossible that anything could happen before Monday at this stage, so it'll have little impact on the FAI's decision. Either way, it will surely be for the First Division after all the missed deadlines, giving one for the Premier would destroy what degree of credibility the League has remaining.

HammerNThongs
12/02/2010, 7:56 AM
I am very unsure of what to make of the latest Quintas backed bid. Premier Division football and sponsorship (which we have only 3 weeks to fix down) and inevitably 1 round of European football are not worth what it costs to pay off the debts. Also when you factor in, we'll have an atrocious Premier Division side, there is a real chance we could be fighting relegation come the seasons end and go down anyway. Make no mistake about that.

And then there is the Roddy factor...stuck with him and his spoofer contacts for 12 months not to mention his disgusting personality is something I would be delighted to do without.

pineapple stu
12/02/2010, 9:18 AM
So Quintas say they're interested, do due dilligence, uncover so many horror stories that they immediately pull out, and a week later they're back in again?!

This just gets curiouser and curiouser.

tiktok
12/02/2010, 9:39 AM
A rumour that erupted yeseterday in certain circles in Dublin (I believe any Bohs insiders on here can confirm this) is that one Mr. Steve Collins is being used as a name for the "UK consortium".

Whatever the rumours up around Bohs are, they're incorrect.
What has been referred to as the 'London/UK consortium' in the past has been in reference to Peter Gray's interest.

razor
12/02/2010, 10:13 AM
So Quintas say they're interested, do due dilligence, uncover so many horror stories that they immediately pull out, and a week later they're back in again?!

This just gets curiouser and curiouser.Seems to me that both previously interested parties have come together and decided it would be better if they joined forces to rid the club of Evil Tom.
As well as that trying to reduce Toms parachute payment as the High Court approaches by which time Tom leaves with nothing.

Although the thought of him getting a red cent makes me nautious.

Macy
12/02/2010, 10:29 AM
The media are treating him, in person, with kid gloves. Something isn't right in all of this, his love of court room battles can only explain part of this, but there has to be an underlying factor for the amount of time given to Tom, Rod and their goons. They've gone unquestioned, unchallenged and continue to get whatever they want.
His political connections, and the pull they have with most of our media, perhaps?

I'm surprised and disappointed that FORAS would appear to be actively supporting this. At the very least they should be neutral, and it seems mad that they'd be putting money into that entity at this stage. Better to stay out and build up a war chest, regardless of whether they proceed with the new club or not at this stage.

razor
12/02/2010, 10:33 AM
I'm surprised and disappointed that FORAS would appear to be actively supporting this. At the very least they should be neutral, and it seems mad that they'd be putting money into that entity at this stage. Better to stay out and build up a war chest, regardless of whether they proceed with the new club or not at this stage.It may have been a neutral comment from the FORAS chairman that was made newspaper friendly.
I'm sure the chairman will clarify at the FORAS meeting tonight.

weecountyman
12/02/2010, 11:08 AM
It may have been a neutral comment from the FORAS chairman that was made newspaper friendly.
I'm sure the chairman will clarify at the FORAS meeting tonight.

Razor, I tend to agree with you regarding the statement by the FORAS chief, but it is worrying that the group are being included in the deal before a vote has been taken - the best option is still for FORAS to go their own way and get a real club representing Cork.

razor
12/02/2010, 11:21 AM
Razor, I tend to agree with you regarding the statement by the FORAS chief, but it is worrying that the group are being included in the deal before a vote has been taken - the best option is still for FORAS to go their own way and get a real club representing Cork.Well Mr Chairman isn't alone in supporting a move that may remove Tom Coughlan from the club but i'm sure a vote will be taken tonight as FORAS cannot take part without its members ratifying it.

I agree with you in that i'd prefer FORAS to remain independent and not get involved but we'll have to see whats on the table from the 2 other parties involved.

Longfordian
12/02/2010, 11:31 AM
It could all be too late by tonight if the FAI aren't going to completely disregard the Licensing rules. Why should anyone obey their deadlines ever again if they do?.

weecountyman
12/02/2010, 11:49 AM
Some news just out in Malta (fresh from the - injured - Floriana keeper Ben) - Floriana have waited over a month for a call or email to be returned from Tom and Liam (and is there a Kevin something?). Roddy's affidavit has been torn up and now the club need for the Maltese to release him. However they have said nothing since then. So the Maltese have lost the head and started a case in CAS (FIFA are handling the banning of Collins and Cork). Some major stuff going down!

tiktok
12/02/2010, 11:54 AM
Razor, I tend to agree with you regarding the statement by the FORAS chief, but it is worrying that the group are being included in the deal before a vote has been taken - the best option is still for FORAS to go their own way and get a real club representing Cork.

FORAS aren't included in any deal and won't be included in any deal unless a majority of the members decide to include the Trust in a deal.
Read the statement again "FORAS members will soon vote on whether they want to be part of the bid".

soccerc
12/02/2010, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=weecountyman;1318893. Also being bandied about (by "a source close to Roddy Collins") is Fran Rooney who is to come on board as an investment magnet - he was announced as the same by Roddy for Malta way back when, without ever taking up the role. Today will be interesting.[/QUOTE]

No truth in this notion whatsoever

weecountyman
12/02/2010, 12:02 PM
FORAS aren't included in any deal and won't be included in any deal unless a majority of the members decide to include the Trust in a deal.
Read the statement again "FORAS members will soon vote on whether they want to be part of the bid".

tiktok, I saw what was written, but the statement from the marketing company (acting for Quintas) stated that FORAS would be brought on board, now this has to be passed by members in order for it to be a runner, I understand that. But there's an awful smell of deceit in the air regarding how FORAS are being included as part of the deal - is it common support or a ready access to cash they want? It looks like a deal about to be done with the devil! But the members should be more than able to see this!

HammerNThongs
12/02/2010, 2:30 PM
tiktok, I saw what was written, but the statement from the marketing company (acting for Quintas) stated that FORAS would be brought on board, now this has to be passed by members in order for it to be a runner, I understand that. But there's an awful smell of deceit in the air regarding how FORAS are being included as part of the deal - is it common support or a ready access to cash they want? It looks like a deal about to be done with the devil! But the members should be more than able to see this!

FORAS cant really be held accountable for the way the media twist things...we should know that by this stage. For all we know this was told to the reporters that FORAS have been given the option pending membership approval and the editors/journalists decided to make up what they thought that meant for FORAS.

I am happy to wait another 4 hours for the meeting tonight to get this really thrashed out. After that, all we can do is let the weekend pass, then the ball is in the FAIs court to to decided if I will ever bother following this Godforsaken league again.

SkStu
12/02/2010, 2:43 PM
A rumour that erupted yeseterday in certain circles in Dublin (I believe any Bohs insiders on here can confirm this) is that one Mr. Steve Collins is being used as a name for the "UK consortium". His solicitor was down in Cork yesterday but apparently left without signing or concluding anything. Also being bandied about (by "a source close to Roddy Collins") is Fran Rooney who is to come on board as an investment magnet - he was announced as the same by Roddy for Malta way back when, without ever taking up the role. Today will be interesting.

first ive heard to be honest. Nothing on our forum even suggesting this. Bohs fans are just observers on this issue for the most part, we get updates every once in a while from a cork poster called "crowley"...

unless you were referring to Rovers fans in the bolded part of your post... ;)

Longfordian
12/02/2010, 2:59 PM
From the Cork press conference:

The bid is "being considered".
The tax bill "will be paid on Monday".
The licence application "is in". Fair play to them.
Roddy is "not concerned" about player departures, licence shenanigans etc..

If this shower get a licence Maxi should be taxied up to Abbotstown.

Doomofman
12/02/2010, 3:01 PM
So TNB is gonna get away with it after all.... Sucks to be a Corck supporter

weecountyman
12/02/2010, 3:05 PM
first ive heard to be honest. Nothing on our forum even suggesting this. Bohs fans are just observers on this issue for the most part, we get updates every once in a while from a cork poster called "crowley"...

unless you were referring to Rovers fans in the bolded part of your post... ;)

:-) At last someone got it! In acuality it's anyone who is in the locality of D15 will have heard the rumours doing the rounds of how this source of investment was red hot (it could well be nonsense but it came from a Bohs fan and boxer backer - say that 3 times quickly with a few pints in you!).

soccerc, I'm glad to hear that (re the Fran Rooney rumour), Roddy has been throwing his name around for some time and it was surprising to hear it in relation to Cork, Malta maybe, makes business sense I suppose for a barrister, but Cork??? For free legal advice maybe! I liked Fran as CEO of the FAI, he treated the LOI with respect and wanted to make us more important.

weecountyman
12/02/2010, 3:07 PM
Billy Barry: We really are no wiser than we were when we came in.
A new bid half an hour before the start.
Roddy not too perturbed by the exodus of players. (O'Donnell gone now too!)
We wait with bated breath for the acceptance of this new bid.

Smoke and mirrors.

Scrufil
12/02/2010, 3:12 PM
If Cork City do get a licence under the current regime is it open for other clubs to refuse to play them, or Derry City for that matter, on the grounds that the FAI is not operating a level playing field?

John83
12/02/2010, 3:19 PM
If Cork City do get a licence under the current regime is it open for other clubs to refuse to play them, or Derry City for that matter, on the grounds that the FAI is not operating a level playing field?
No, but Bray would probably have grounds to sue. (IANAL)

eamo1
12/02/2010, 3:21 PM
Surely Cork cannot get a Licence.They've missed how many deadlines and broken how many rules.ALL credibility will be gone from this league and with it will go the fans.

Fr Damo
12/02/2010, 3:29 PM
Surely Cork cannot get a Licence.They've missed how many deadlines and broken how many rules.ALL credibility will be gone from this league and with it will go the fans.

I agree wit you eamo1 up until the part where you think fans will walk. My sympathy & support to all in Cork.

Longfordian
12/02/2010, 3:29 PM
You'd have to seriously question (even more) the point in the whole licencing process if the FAI just ignore the rules because it suits them to have a healthy Cork club in the Premier Division. They should be denied a licence new owners or no new owners. The blame would lie squarely with one man.

Scrufil
12/02/2010, 3:30 PM
Why not John83? Also what grounds could Bray sue under?

Doomofman
12/02/2010, 3:34 PM
Also... If Cork have submitted a license application... Who are the club that didn't?

John83
12/02/2010, 3:34 PM
Eamo, I tend to agree. We'll see.

Scrufil, I can't be certain, but I don't think unilateral action is usually a good idea in a dispute like that. Bray would have been denied a place in the Premier, and associated money, by the FAI granting the licence. That might be grounds for a lawsuit. I doubt they'd try, and anyway, I suspect there's enough room for fudge in the rules to grant a licence to Iceland if they feel like it.

Doomofman, could it have been that Cork were late?

weecountyman
12/02/2010, 3:37 PM
I've said all along, Tom will be there come the start of the league, Roddy will go in the summer for some reason that we've all heard before (the sandwiches were cut in triangles, the club don't match his ambition, the club don't respect him etc etc - but he'll first come out with - The travel up and down to Cork was just too much and I need some time off, and maybe there are other jobs to go for. Meanwhile he'll tout himself (via the Star and Newstalk) for every job going, and end up unemployed for another 4 years until "the job he always wanted" comes calling, at which point Salthill will be battling for promotion from the A Championship.

Longfordian
12/02/2010, 3:37 PM
Also... If Cork have submitted a license application... Who are the club that didn't?

It was submitted late by all accounts, if you pardon the pun. They were the club the FAI was referring to.

SMorgan
12/02/2010, 3:46 PM
You'd have to seriously question (even more) the point in the whole licencing process if the FAI just ignore the rules because it suits them to have a healthy Cork club in the Premier Division. They should be denied a licence new owners or no new owners. The blame would lie squarely with one man.

That equally applies to Drogheda United. Both clubs have driven a horse and cart through the licence criteria and the FAI hasn't the bottle to do anything about it. (opps, sorry, independent licensing committee)

Schumi
12/02/2010, 3:49 PM
Coughlan has stepped down according to RTE.

Scrufil
12/02/2010, 3:51 PM
Does this Cork City press conference weigh heavy on the vote by FORAS tonight?

Longfordian
12/02/2010, 4:16 PM
From the Cork forum:

Meaney said that Tom was gone with immediate effect. McCarthy was on to FAI to clarify that him taking over was ok. Meaney did also say that while he didn't know the exact terms of the offer made that the investors were already working on what else was needed for licence. He said the club had been given an indication whether they would get a Premier Licence or not, he declined to say what that indication was but said he believed that they wanted Cork club in League and in Premier next year (to avoid a hurling Leinster Championship as he put it - clubs from Dublin and its surrounds as well as Galway)
Roddy was v strong about the players he felt didn't show loyalty to the club. Disappointed to see Danny M and Joe leave, says he can find replacements for the rest. They have main sponsor lined up as long as ANY licence is granted to club, Hummel staying on for another year.

pineapple stu
12/02/2010, 4:16 PM
Coughlan has stepped down according to RTE.
Stepped down as what?

He's already stepped down as chairman. Be just like our media that they'd report the same thing twice in two weeks without realising it.

Schumi
12/02/2010, 4:21 PM
Stepped down as what?

He's already stepped down as chairman. Be just like our media that they'd report the same thing twice in two weeks without realising it.

As owner. Quintas set to take over as well.

White Horse
12/02/2010, 4:22 PM
Roddy was v strong about the players he felt didn't show loyalty to the club.

This has to be a joke.

Doomofman
12/02/2010, 4:23 PM
That man doesn't know the meaning of loyalty...

John83
12/02/2010, 4:26 PM
This has to be a joke.
It's hilarious anyway.

derm
12/02/2010, 4:27 PM
As owner. Quintas set to take over as well.

For definite? Tommy can't even leave the club without effing it up it seems

Doomofman
12/02/2010, 4:29 PM
They surely can't just be handed a Premier license now... RTE seems to think they will be though...

Cork City in line for consortium takeover

Friday, 12 February 2010 17:31
Cork City owner Tom Coughlan has stepped down from his role with the club. This decision to move on takes immediate effect.

A Cork-based consortium, led by Jim McCarthy of the Quintas Financial Management group, has launched a takeover bid. The consortium has committed to clear the club's current debts.

This offer was made at 2.30pm on Friday afternoon and is believed to be in the process of being finalised.

If the proposed takeover goes ahead, it is hoped that the club will be assured of League of Ireland Premier Division and UEFA Europa League soccer for the coming season.

Longfordian
12/02/2010, 4:31 PM
Licensing deadline to be extended to 2011 for big clubs outside Dublin apparently.

tippex
12/02/2010, 4:32 PM
No, but Bray would probably have grounds to sue. (IANAL)

TBH I don't think that would happen unless there was backing from all other clubs.
It would take all clubs to row in on that.