PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

eamo1
22/12/2009, 12:30 AM
Ya,i agree with Jebus,i wouldnt mind seeing Cena and The Rock(is he still at it?) in a Ladder match in Terryland Park:p.
I do agree with Hairy Bowsie,i havent renewed my season ticket for next season yet,usually i do straight away.Im seriously thinking of not renewing it for the first time in 13 years/seasons.I just think i'd be a fool to give money to this league the way it is right now.I think about the decision to renew it or not everyday lately.

weecountyman
22/12/2009, 5:53 AM
Is there any truth in Roddy's contention that Floriana had already broken his contract in October when they (and I'm paraphrasing the Rod) took away the house and car?

I asked this question and it is a reason (false allegations and slander) that Floriana are so cheesed off. His house wasn't taken away or his family forced home, nor was his car taken away. He had a major run in (not entirely his fault - hard as it is to believe) with a former committee member and handed back the car (as it was rented from the man's company) and the house was costing a fortune and he refused to pay for it anymore (the club paid 75% and were going to continue to do so) but then he decided he wanted something smaller. Then he did a deal with a hotel and stayed there instead. And his family went home because he was (according to one of his former players) getting pretty erratic. Floriana never broke his contract, otherwise he wouldn't be making so much noise (and is still begging them to release him for free, despite having lied about his intentions). Class act. I hope to goodness both he and Big Tom get a red letter.

HammerNThongs
22/12/2009, 8:21 AM
Is anyone else at a point where they just don't give a damn about the whole F'ing LoI anymore. The way i feel right now, i honestly don't think i'd care if the whole thing went tits up.

I have stopped getting annoyed and angry with it. One simple decision will decide whether I will truly have stopped caring for it anymore and that's if the man that I cant swear heavily enough about is still in charge of Cork City FC.

If he is, the whole league can go to hell for all I care. Will gladly jump full time onto supporting the Sky Premiership and Serie A.

Mr A
22/12/2009, 8:44 AM
I agree with some of the sentiments above. Last close season I found myself at a point where I was seriously thinking about whether this league was worth the effort. I was aghast that Cork and Drogheda received no more than a rap on the knuckles for despite the craziness that had gone before. If anything, things have got worse since then in the league.

It's only the fact that FHFC is making real efforts to sort itself out that keeps me going.

That and the fact that I'm horribly addicted.

pineapple stu
22/12/2009, 8:52 AM
Confirmed that wages were missed (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1222/corkcity.html); apparently E150k is owed in wages alone.

Mayo Red
22/12/2009, 8:53 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1222/corkcity.html

Cork City miss wages deadline

Tuesday, 22 December 2009 09:01

The fate of Cork City FC is out of their hands, after the club missed yesterday's deadline to settle outstanding wages.

The Leesiders owe a figure in the region of €150,000 to current and former players and have been unable to secure an overdraft to make the payments.

The FAI's Licensing Committee are likely to look at the case once Cork City have paid their bills.

The FAI have also indicated that they are surprised at Cork City Chairman Tom Coughlan has applied for a court hearing in response to his one year ban from football and €5,000 fine.

Mayo Red
22/12/2009, 8:54 AM
Confirmed that wages were missed (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1222/corkcity.html); apparently E150k is owed in wages alone.

Damn, beat me to it!!;)

Mr A
22/12/2009, 8:57 AM
One wonders if information such as the scale of the unsettled wages finding their way to the public domain might be not entirely unrelated to TNB's latest gesture of defiance to the FAI. A guy that desperately needs a slice of Frank and Irene's fudge should be very careful about stepping on their toes too much.

pineapple stu
22/12/2009, 9:35 AM
Think it was on the Rovers forum I saw a suggestion that TNB was a GAA plant. Couldn't work out whether to laugh or take it seriously.

weecountyman
22/12/2009, 9:37 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1222/corkcity.html

What happens now? Roddy's looking to go back for one game to Malta (in the Maltese media today), but given the fact that Declan O'Brien gave an interview in a Maltese paper today or yesterday saying that while he was going to sign for Floriana, Roddy told him not to, for no other reason than he was in the hunt for the Valletta job himself! Gets weirder and weirder!

Magicme
22/12/2009, 9:38 AM
God that made me laugh.

Martinho II
22/12/2009, 9:51 AM
FAI response

In laymans terms with the fais response what does this mean??:confused:

rebelarmyexile
22/12/2009, 10:01 AM
Think it was on the Rovers forum I saw a suggestion that TNB was a GAA plant. Couldn't work out whether to laugh or take it seriously.

Yup,, I suggested that wayyyy back in January 2009. I might be right after all

http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29358&hl=

From Jan 6 2009, 12:32 AM Consipracy Theory time!

"Was havin a think about this today and considering Coughlan's copious GAA links with the Cork County board and beyond. Is possible he is out trying to complete every GAh fans wet dream of destroying Football (Soccer for you Gah heads) in Cork?

It would be a very smart way to do it. A big Gah fans buys out the competition in the city????????"

eamo1
22/12/2009, 2:25 PM
So Tom didnt even bother to try get an agreed wage payment structure in place before yesterday's deadline:mad:.He's basically ignoring every deadline now.
That GAA conspiracy theory is funny:).

Kingdom
22/12/2009, 3:13 PM
As someone who enjoys following the league while not contributing financially to it, it's very disheartening to be watching all this unfold. I'd decided that I'd start doing my bit next season by going to matches, getting bits of merchandise etc.

I feel sorry for the Cork fans, as its the exploits of their club in Europe (all the LoI clubs tbh) that gave me an interest in the league and showed that with a bit of effort there is a league here worth giving a fcuk about.

What I can't understand is how they could go from a situation where they won the league, played good football, had a tidy squad and generally were a success story, to where they are at the moment? Its a disaster. At least with Drogheda and Shels, you could point at some irregularities and say "well it was bound to happen, wasn't it?" but Cork did seem to have a real professional setup, off the pitch as well as on it, had good identifiable local sponsorship, a suitable ever-improving ground, and a strong support base.

How the fook could it get like this?

Mr A
22/12/2009, 3:16 PM
Simple: they paid out MENTAL wages.

razor
22/12/2009, 4:06 PM
How the fook could it get like this?I think this post on our own forum sums it up , here (http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=29358&view=findpost&p=667565)

osarusan
22/12/2009, 4:10 PM
I think this post on our own forum sums it up , here (http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=29358&view=findpost&p=667565)

Sorry, an error occurred.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

passerrby
22/12/2009, 4:14 PM
As someone who enjoys following the league while not contributing financially to it, it's very disheartening to be watching all this unfold. I'd decided that I'd start doing my bit next season by going to matches, getting bits of merchandise etc.

I feel sorry for the Cork fans, as its the exploits of their club in Europe (all the LoI clubs tbh) that gave me an interest in the league and showed that with a bit of effort there is a league here worth giving a fcuk about.

What I can't understand is how they could go from a situation where they won the league, played good football, had a tidy squad and generally were a success story, to where they are at the moment? Its a disaster. At least with Drogheda and Shels, you could point at some irregularities and say "well it was bound to happen, wasn't it?" but Cork did seem to have a real professional setup, off the pitch as well as on it, had good identifiable local sponsorship, a suitable ever-improving ground, and a strong support base.

there we were minding our own bussiness playing well and doing ok and some idiot pops up and said "i know what this club needs Pat dolan"

micls
22/12/2009, 5:05 PM

Well basically the man behind that success was practically bankrupted by the club, had no choice but to sell up and then Arkaga came and the rest tells its own story.

The main problem was that the club was never self sustaining,even in the 'glory days'

dcfcsteve
22/12/2009, 6:24 PM
Incidentally, doesn't legal action against the FAI raise the possibility of FIFA action against the FAI and a possible ban on the National Team.

I also suspect there are bits in the participation agreement about this.

Action against the national team ? :confused:

You mean like not letting us play a glamour friendly against Bhutan or some such at Thomond Park in the Spring ?

There's always hope.

Anyways - I doubt FIFA would have the stomach to give Ireland a hard time right now following the Henry affair.

cheech
22/12/2009, 6:39 PM
Action against the national team ? :confused:

You mean like not letting us play a glamour friendly against Bhutan or some such at Thomond Park in the Spring ?

There's always hope.

Anyways - I doubt FIFA would have the stomach to give Ireland a hard time right now following the Henry affair.

Why? What happened with Henry?

Kingdom
22/12/2009, 6:44 PM
there we were minding our own bussiness playing well and doing ok and some idiot pops up and said "i know what this club needs Pat dolan"

Hey! That's a bit unfair; I was only asking a question. :o

Ash
22/12/2009, 9:59 PM

Well if a corrupt organisation tried to pawn off their "fair play" award on us
I wouldnt rule anything out!!!

Riddickcule
23/12/2009, 12:23 AM
Why? What happened with Henry?
Good question my friend.I ask the very same thing :)

weecountyman
23/12/2009, 2:14 PM
Quick question, did Roddy sign for Cork this morning?

micls
23/12/2009, 2:21 PM
Quick question, did Roddy sign for Cork this morning?

According to the local paper he signed a 1 year deal. However the paper isn't known for it's accuracy

weecountyman
23/12/2009, 2:30 PM
According to the local paper he signed a 1 year deal. However the paper isn't known for it's accuracy

So I take it the Echo reported it? I wonder do Cork know what they're in for?? Besides, how can he sign when he's still under contract with another club?

PartySaint
23/12/2009, 2:37 PM
Besides, how can he sign when he's still under contract with another club?

Its Cork City and Roddy Collins, that sort of thing isnt important

micls
23/12/2009, 2:38 PM
So I take it the Echo reported it? I wonder do Cork know what they're in for?? Besides, how can he sign when he's still under contract with another club?

Yeah, but the echo also reported that players were paid what theyre owed which is rubbish.

Roddy thing is probably true though, him and Coughlan deserve each other.

yiddo
23/12/2009, 2:38 PM
I wonder do Cork know what they're in for??

Equally I wonder does Roddy know what he's in for? :D

micls
23/12/2009, 2:41 PM
Announced on 96fm there now too. Let the games begin.

Odds of Roddy knocking Ocughlan flat when the first pay cheque bounces?

In fact thats a great fundraiser, sell tickets for it

weecountyman
23/12/2009, 3:17 PM
Announced on 96fm there now too. Let the games begin.

Odds of Roddy knocking Ocughlan flat when the first pay cheque bounces?

In fact thats a great fundraiser, sell tickets for it

:p Isn't that what got Roddy run out of Rovers? "Charity" boxing matches :)

It's a disgrace how he can act like that and still get work, I called my buddy who works in Malta to wish him a Happy Holidays and he said that his colleague, Ben (their keeper) is absolutely furious. Roddy begged him to play the 2nd last match, despite his having a badly strained thigh muscle that needed 2 weeks rest. He played, tore it and is out for 2months. Then the next he hears is his coach is gone and telling everyone who'll listen not to go near Floriana (the Declan O'Brien story broke yesterday). I just hope FORAS do a Shamrock Rovers and get rid of the rotting wood!

http://corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=1225 Looks like Coughlan's solicitors are getting a decent retainer!

micls
23/12/2009, 3:21 PM
Cork City Football Club are pleased to announce the appointment of Roddy Collins as the club’s first team manager for the forthcoming season.

Speaking to CorkCityFC.ie, Roddy Collins said: “It is an honour to have been appointed and I am delighted with the appointment. This is a job that I have wanted for many years, and I cannot wait to get started.”
“I am looking forward to sitting down with the playing staff currently on the books at the club and also to introducing some new blood. I am very enthusiastic about the task at hand and I want to rally the troops for the season ahead.”

“The fact that the club has qualified for Europe is also a huge bonus, as playing in European competition is where everyone wants to be. It is a testament to the previous manager, the players and the Chairman that the club secured a place in Europe.”
"Turner's Cross has always been an excellent venue for matches, with a great atmosphere and great support. In my experience, any point you earned at Turner's Cross was hard won and we have to make sure that this is the case next season."

Speaking of the appointment, Cork City’s General Manager Liam Meaney said: “Having interviewed a number of high quality candidates who expressed their interest in the position, we feel that Mr Collins is best suited for the club’s needs in the forthcoming 12 months. We are delighted that he is a free agent; he has extensive experience and a proven record of success when operating on a restricted budget and his appointment represents a significant financial saving for the club with regard to this position, without compromising on quality.”

Was he release or another courtcase?

weecountyman
23/12/2009, 3:31 PM
Was he release or another courtcase?

Of course he wasn't, Roddy spent days threatening club members, directors and investors with law suits if he wasn't released. He was due to be discplined yesterday, of course didn't show and had already spun the yarn to TNB that he was free (accepting the Cork job last Monday and only asking to leave Malta on Tuesday). I wonder if Tom is interested in some very interesting beans I have......;)

micls
23/12/2009, 3:35 PM
Of course he wasn't, Roddy spent days threatening club members, directors and investors with law suits if he wasn't released. He was due to be discplined yesterday, of course didn't show and had already spun the yarn to TNB that he was free (accepting the Cork job last Monday and only asking to leave Malta on Tuesday). I wonder if Tom is interested in some very interesting beans I have......;)

I doubt he needed to spin a yarn to TNB. Tom wouldnt care if he were udner contract or not, suer he just wont pay any compensation anyway.

Tom's a lot of things, but he's no fool

weecountyman
23/12/2009, 3:40 PM
I doubt he needed to spin a yarn to TNB. Tom wouldnt care if he were udner contract or not, suer he just wont pay any compensation anyway.

Tom's a lot of things, but he's no fool

I tend to agree, both of them are less than decent human beings and seem to lie without compunction. But Tom caught himself out a little on a few lies (Roddy as always has). My buddy said that last evening on TVM (Television Malta) they showed dated screenshots of the Cork City website last week with the message about non-payment of fees on it, and then played phonecalls made to the club - none of the numbers given were in service (even on the current club webpage) and the FAI receptionist only offered an explanation "Because they're Cork City." I still don't understand what's going on though, surely they'll be relegated (I hope worse so the supporters can get a licence for a new club).

micls
23/12/2009, 3:51 PM
It's true

Philly
23/12/2009, 4:17 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1223/collinsr_corkcity.html

I am starting to really feel for Cork fans.

rambler14
23/12/2009, 4:21 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1223/collinsr_corkcity.html

I am starting to really feel for Cork fans.

That article ends with Roddy saying he's looking forward to making Turners Cross a fortress obviously TNB has neglected to tell him that the MFA have thrown Cork City out of Turners Cross and will be looking to play their games in St. Colmans Park next season.

desaintsno.12
23/12/2009, 4:24 PM
That article ends with Roddy saying he's looking forward to making Turners Cross a fortress obviously TNB has neglected to tell him that the MFA have thrown Cork City out of Turners Cross and will be looking to play their games in St. Colmans Park next season.

really ?

Leeside Swagger
23/12/2009, 4:30 PM

Probably not an unforeseeable scenario. :(

micls
23/12/2009, 4:31 PM
That's the 'rumour' anyway. Ive no doubt it's true, he doesnt pay his other bills so why would he pay the MFA?

garyderry
23/12/2009, 4:50 PM
That's the 'rumour' anyway. Ive no doubt it's true, he doesnt pay his other bills so why would he pay the MFA?

Is there a chance of FORAS getting turners cross for their club if the application is accepted to the A league?

Doomofman
23/12/2009, 4:52 PM
Cork's new entrance music....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

Sam_Heggy
23/12/2009, 5:29 PM
So, if Cork are demoted due to licencing does Roddy's record of "never being relegated" go out the window?

Roddy reckons the lure of playing European football was a major factor in his decision. Do Cork have a hope of getting into (or retaining their place in) Europe for 2010?

micls
23/12/2009, 5:40 PM
So, if Cork are demoted due to licencing does Roddy's record of "never being relegated" go out the window?

Nope, he'l quit as the statement is announced.

LeixlipRed
23/12/2009, 6:06 PM
Cork fans wanna take guesses at attendance figure for first home fixture if the TNB/Roddy dream team lasts that long? 200 max?

soccerc
23/12/2009, 6:24 PM
This statement regarding the unauthorised signing of a 12 month contact by Mr. Roddy Collins with Cork City F.C. today (23/12/09) is released by the committee of Floriana F.C.. Floriana, Malta. For further information please contact this email or the number of Acting President Mr. Joe Cauchi below.
23 December 2009

*It was with great surprise that Floriana F.C. learned this afternoon that our Coach Mr. Roddy Collins signed a 12 month contract with Cork City F.C., Ireland, and that the Cork City F.C. General Manager publicly claimed in error that Mr. Collins "is a free agent". *
*At no time have Floriana F.C. given Mr. Collins permission to speak with any other club and furthermore have not released him from his contract. Floriana F.C. have fulfilled in excess all contractual obligations to Mr. Collins since his arrival in Malta. *
* Until last evening Mr. Collins was asking for us to release him from his contract however he fully understood that to do so meant some form of compensation had to be made from Cork City F.C..*
*We will be contacting Cork City F.C. owner Mr. Tom Coughlan to come to an arrangement where we will receive compensation to not bring this matter further than an amicable settlement. We do not wish to bring the Maltese Football Association (MFA) or Football Association of Ireland (FAI) into this matter as we believe that a professional club of Cork City's stature will wish to do the right thing for their reputation and image, the good of the game and for the betterment of both clubs.*

* Joe Cauchi*

*Acting President Floriana F.C.*

SkStu
23/12/2009, 6:29 PM
go get em Joe :)