PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76

Celdrog
23/02/2010, 8:21 PM
Are Foras happy with using that crest - its very similar to the Cork City one - that is still owned by Tom Coughlan isn't it. Or does copyright not matter in football.

Also City of Cork FC would still be CCFC.

Doomofman
23/02/2010, 8:22 PM
Are Foras happy with using that crest - its very similar to the Cork City one - that is still owned by Tom Coughlan isn't it. Or does copyright not matter in football.

Ever notice how imitation Coca Cola has a really similar label to the real stuff? Same thing... Just because it looks similar doesn't mean it's a copyright infringement

bennocelt
23/02/2010, 8:32 PM
Llandudno Junction is a town not just a train station so im sure the footy team has taken the town name and not just the train station ;)
You could have had Lex X1 ,NEWI CEFN Druids named after their sponsors,

There are two stops - Llandudno and Llandudno Junction (outside the town), once saw there womens team play!!!

Nedser
23/02/2010, 9:02 PM
I've been looking into this area for a few days - and have found some good and not so good ones:

Hindustan Aeronautics (India)
BATE Borisov (BATE being an acronym for Borisov Works of Automobile and Tractor Electric Equipment)
Briton Ferry Llansawel (of the Welsh third division)
Llandudno Junction (Named after the train station of the same name I believe)
Skoda Xanthi (Greece)

My favourite one though is the football team from Cochabamba in Bolivia - called Club Jorge Wilsterman.

Jorge Wilsterman was Bolivia's first commercial pilot...

There are some absolute shockers in Australia. My favourite is:
Associazione Poli-sportiva Italo Australiana Leichhardt Tigers Football Club
(or "APIA Leichhardt" for short!)

And then there is "West Sydney Berries Football Club", which used to be known as "Canterbury-Marrickville Olympic Football Club".

RĂ©iteoir
23/02/2010, 9:18 PM
There are two stops - Llandudno and Llandudno Junction (outside the town), once saw there womens team play!!!

The current club was founded as Hotpoint FC in 1975, playing in the Old Colwyn and District Sunday League. During the 1996–97 season the team moved to Llanfairfechan’s Recreation Ground due to the limitations of the Victoria Drive ground. As a result, the team changed its name to Llanfairfechan Athletic.

In 1998, the club returned to Llandudno Junction, to their current ground at The Flyover, which had previously been the home of Crosville. The team changed its name again, to Llandudno Junction FC, for the 1999–2000 season.

razor
23/02/2010, 10:36 PM
Foras should look into buying the name Cork City Football Club from the court appointed liquidator and forget about this Foras Co-Op nonsenseThat is the long term plan.
We obviously don't own the name yet and had to submit a name on the licence application. When we get the name then we'll use it but it won't be this season.

Are Foras happy with using that crest - its very similar to the Cork City one - that is still owned by Tom Coughlan isn't it. Or does copyright not matter in football.Copyright does matter and it was stressed when we voted for this crest that it didn't infringe any copyright.

Dunny
23/02/2010, 10:42 PM
http://blackandwhitetown.squarespace.com/home/2010/2/23/dundalk-confident-of-landing-europa-spot.html

Dundalk Confident of landing Europa spot

http://blackandwhitetown.squarespace.com/universal/images/transparent.pngTuesday, February 23, 2010 at 11:32PM
DUNDALK fully expect to be awarded Cork City's place in the UEFA Europa League following the winding up of the Leesiders yesterday.
The Independent Licensing Committee's refusal on Monday evening to accept Cork's application for a Premier Division license signalled the end for the Rebels in their current guise.
In a statement released last week, Dundalk called on the FAI to nominate them for Cork's place in Europe. The club are expected to release another official statement on the issue today (Wednesday) but sources within Oriel Park say they are confident of receiving the green light from the FAI in the coming days.
Dundalk have also refuted claims made in the Sunday Independent in January which cast doubt over Dundalk's eligibility for European football. The piece stated that Sligo Rovers would be offered Cork's place on the premise that Bit O'Red boss Paul Cook has obtained the required UEFA Pro License whereas Lilywhites boss Ian Foster has not.
Foster is due to complete his A License, a step below the Pro Licence, in March and will then enrol for the higher diploma, which takes a year to complete and consists of a minimum of 240 hours, of which 90 hours are practical. It will be a requirement for League of Ireland Premier Division coaches to hold a Pro-License next season.
The UEFA Club Licensing system, introduced for the 2004-2005 season, states that a club seeking a UEFA club license must have a manager in possession of the UEFA Pro-License.
Foster will not possess that qualification should Dundalk apply for a European place but the club are expected to submit his application for enrolment on the Pro-License course as sufficient evidence of their eligibility to receive a license for European football.
The club's national association, in this case the FAI, can also provide a “recognition of competence” on the manager's behalf. UEFA state that the minimum time period for a “recognition of competence” is five years but there have been instances in recent years where special dispensation has been granted, notably in 2008 when Avram Grant took Chelsea to the UEFA Champions League final despite not holding the relevant 'qualification'.
The issue of holding European games at Oriel Park will also have to be looked in to but speaking on Tuesday, Dundalk FC Communications Manager Colm Crosson conceded that the possibility of that happening is remote.
“We will have to sit long and hard to look at the regulations surrounding that”, he said.
“We would have a fervent desire to hold European games at Oriel Park but we don't want to raise peoples expectations unnecessarily.
“In this economic climate it would be a tall ask to have Oriel Park at the standard required to hold a European game. We would have to see what the logistics are but do we spend 50k to stage possibly just one game. We would have to move heaven and earth and at this late stage it is probably unlikely that it will happen.”
On the domestic front, there is still confusion as to where Dundalk will play their first League of Ireland game of the season. Bray Wanderers will take Cork City's place in the Premier Division and will meet Dundalk on March 5 but at the time of going to press, no official announcement had been made regarding the venue for the game.

Nedser
23/02/2010, 10:44 PM
That is the long term plan.
We obviously don't own the name yet and had to submit a name on the licence application. When we get the name then we'll use it but it won't be this season.

Copyright does matter and it was stressed when we voted for this crest that it didn't infringe any copyright.

Is there anything to be read into the fact that the new name (Cork City FORAS Co-op) does not seem to have appeared in any of the official announcements from the LOI/FAI etc? They seem to just refer to FORAS. See here for example:
http://www.loi.ie/index.php/about/press-office/1404-independent-club-licensing-committee-awards-2010-licences

They refer to all other clubs by their actual team names, but just call the new Cork application "FORAS". The susbequent announcement that FORAS got a licence also made no mention of the new team name, but referred to "Friends of the Rebel Army Society (FORAS)".

Seems strange, but I'm happy to accept it could just be more inconsistency in reporting, which actually means nothing.

yiddo
23/02/2010, 10:54 PM
I was nearly right, albeit a few months on - Foras should look into buying the name Cork City Football Club from the court appointed liquidator and forget about this Foras Co-Op nonsense

of course FORAS are going to try to the buy the Cork City Football Club name from the court appointed liquidator but as it's going to take a while and certainly won't be finalised by friday week so we've had to settle for the interim name.

Schumi
23/02/2010, 11:23 PM
Hopefully no-one from the Cork forum mind me posting this link to the audio from this morning.

Award winning stuff.

http://www.ccfcforum.com/audios/96fm24022010parta.mp3

Part B - Jonathan O'Brien http://www.ccfcforum.com/audios/96fm24022010partb.mp3

Part C - Jim McCarthy, Peter Grey, Tom Coughlan & Jonathan O'Brien http://www.ccfcforum.com/audios/96fm24022010partc.mp3

Part D - Michael O'Connell http://www.ccfcforum.com/audios/96fm24022010partd.mp3I've just listened to these now, what a complete crowd of nutters! Roddy talking his usual ****e, Coughlan having a nervous breakdown on air, the Foras guy calling him a lunatic and the last guy with delusions of world domination. Unbelievable!

Celdrog
24/02/2010, 1:12 AM
Has Tommy struck back? - Cork forum currentlty hacked by "Ghost 61"

The Lep
24/02/2010, 2:38 AM

2 diffrent towns with 2 diffrent teams. Neville Southall used to play for Llandudno Swifts :)

HammerNThongs
24/02/2010, 8:04 AM
Has Tommy struck back? - Cork forum currentlty hacked by "Ghost 61"

Just googled his name. He's some serial hacker. There are other sites and forums who have left thank you messages to him for not deleting any of the info from their site after hackage! :confused:

derm
24/02/2010, 8:17 AM
Ps With Cork demotted, relegated, whatever, this leaves only Bohs and Pats as the two teams who have never played in Div 1, and both went to close, well Pats were never really in danger in my book, but they did need the security of that last win and I think Bohs were in a play off in 1999.

Not necessarily. If Cork City Foras Co-op gets promoted before it acquires the name then technically Cork City Football Club will never have been in the 1st either ;)

Personally my favourite suggestion was "I can't believe it's not Cork City"*. But while most of ye non-City fans will concentrate on the Foras Co-op bit we'll just call the club Cork City (informally of course)

* This was not an official suggestion you understand!

tonydaly
24/02/2010, 8:49 AM
Just googled his name. He's some serial hacker. There are other sites and forums who have left thank you messages to him for not deleting any of the info from their site after hackage! :confused:

Maybe he could make Coughlan s debts disappear ?:D

derm
24/02/2010, 8:59 AM
Maybe he could make Coughlan disappear ?:D

Fixed that for ya ;)

pineapple stu
24/02/2010, 9:18 AM
There are some absolute shockers in Australia.
Good call. There's a lot of corporate stuff in Austria. Red Bull Salzburg are the most obvious, but there's also a few along the lines of Schmidt's Chickens FC in the lower leagues. I was at a Cup game last year between Pontigamer (local brew) Sturm Graz and TSV McDonalds St Johann im Pongau.

PSV, of course, are the Philips Sport Vereniging, of the sports union of the Phillips factory in the town.

WoodquayBoy
24/02/2010, 9:35 AM
Not necessarily. If Cork City Foras Co-op gets promoted before it acquires the name then technically Cork City Football Club will never have been in the 1st either ;)

A hell of an 'if' considering the First Division this year

Pablo Escobar
24/02/2010, 9:48 AM
A hell of an 'if' considering the First Division this year

It'll be tough, but our squad will be well up there IMO

pineapple stu
24/02/2010, 9:49 AM
What's your squad?

I can see Cork having a season like Shels in 2007, when they were in the bottom two for the first third of the season and barely ended up mid-table.

micls
24/02/2010, 9:50 AM
It'll be tough, but our squad will be well up there IMO

Are you for real?

We have a week to get a squad together on a tiny budget with a new manager who mightnt even get a preseason game.

People need to seriously lower their expectations

Dodge
24/02/2010, 9:54 AM
A couple of my favourite club names from years of geekery; Joe Public (Trinidad) and Hearts of Oak (Ghana). Both fairly suuccesful.

New crest looks like a sales pitch. "Cork City (available) for a scoop"

Can't understand why 'Sco-op tried to imitate the already hideous Arkaga introduced crest ratherthan going back to something based on their original crest. No doubt some loon wants them to wear red too. Ugh

micls
24/02/2010, 9:56 AM
A couple of my favourite club names from years of geekery; Joe Public (Trinidad) and Hearts of Oak (Ghana). Both fairly suuccesful. New crest looks like a sales pitch. "Cork City (available) for a scoop"

Can't understand why 'Sco-op tried to imitate the already hideous Arkaga introduced crest ratherthan going back to something based on their original crest. No doubt some loon wants them to wear red too. Ugh
Its an interim crest. Ideally we'l buy all the old intellectual property from the liquidator and have to choice of going back to one of the old crests

centre mid
24/02/2010, 10:04 AM
Micls

What is the actually name of the club FORAS are going to enter in the first divison?

El-Pietro
24/02/2010, 10:07 AM
do people not pay attention?

Cork City Foras Co-op

Why would we stick it on a crest if it wasnt our name?

Shedendinvisibl
24/02/2010, 10:12 AM
What does this mean?
FORAS did everything in their powers to broker a deal, Tom delayed and delayed refusing to play ball and eventually at 3.55 decided to sign it over, far too late to meet licensing requirements.

FORAS had weeks, even months to square a deal but they clearly didn't bother their arses half as much as they claim to have. Even dealing with the inaccurate figures given by TNB they knew the club was in dire straits from last season and could have and should have made greater effort to take on the club back then when it was in some shape and sitting pretty with sponsors and some dignity. Instead they were more concerned with pretending to be moral crusaders at the hour in need; it was akin to calling the undertaker ahead of the ambulance at a crash scene. All they were doing was papering over the cracks of their own folly of not sorting it out earlier to appear to be the great white hope, Tom Coughlan patterned wallpaper that they will reuse anytime FORAS Alberts foul up in 2010.

pineapple stu
24/02/2010, 10:14 AM
Don't agree with that (shedend's post, not the wum bit). TNB wasn't interested in talking until he got hit with the winding up order with absolutely no cash and the strong threat of getting no licence. Buying out a club isn't as simple as going up and asking.

Dodge
24/02/2010, 10:17 AM
do people not pay attention?

Cork City Foras Co-op

Why would we stick it on a crest if it wasnt our name?

Wait, you want us to take Cork people a) at their word and b) as sane? Sorry El, that ship has sailed ;) Tommy's ruined it for the rest of you

(or to answer your question, the holding company can easily have a different brand logo than the club)

micls
24/02/2010, 10:23 AM
FORAS had weeks, even months to square a deal but they clearly didn't bother their arses half as much as they claim to have. Even dealing with the inaccurate figures given by TNB they knew the club was in dire straits from last season and could have and should have made greater effort to take on the club back then when it was in some shape and sitting pretty with sponsors and some dignity. Instead they were more concerned with pretending to be moral crusaders at the hour in need; it was akin to calling the undertaker ahead of the ambulance at a crash scene. All they were doing was papering over the cracks of their own folly of not sorting it out earlier to appear to be the great white hope, Tom Coughlan patterned wallpaper that they will reuse anytime FORAS Alberts foul up in 2010.

:D

We certainly need people who can do things likes you've outlined above.

If you're up for it, it'l only cost you 10euro a month, 5 if unemployed, and seats on the board are up for grabs in March!

Pablo Escobar
24/02/2010, 10:27 AM
Are you for real?

We have a week to get a squad together on a tiny budget with a new manager who mightnt even get a preseason game.

People need to seriously lower their expectations

I just checked....I am for real.....you nearly gave me a banger there!

I'm not expecting anything.....and I'm not going to be criticising.....but you can't deny that the player pool is there. A budget is one thing, but a conversation I had with Graeme Cummins on Saturday suggests that there are very good players that would be willing.

Now this is not me providing fuel for criticism as I want to do nothing but support the new club whether they come 1st or 12th, I'm merely replying. (I will concede that I am talking from the outside in)

micls
24/02/2010, 10:30 AM
I'm not expecting anything.....and I'm not going to be criticising.....but you can't deny that the player pool is there. A budget is one thing, but a conversation I had with Graeme Cummins on Saturday suggests that there are very good players that would be willing.
Talk is cheap. Actually turning around and playing for very little is another thing. Fair play if that quality of player will though when he could easily get more elsewhere.

We'l see I guess, but any talk of being up there challenging is fairytales imo.

redgav
24/02/2010, 10:36 AM
Talk is cheap. Actually turning around and playing for very little is another thing. Fair play if that quality of player will though when he could easily get more elsewhere.

Thats a very defeatist attitude...nothing short of Automatic promotion and European qualification via the FAI cup is acceptable

James
24/02/2010, 10:39 AM
no ambition clearly :P

BOM OUTTTTTT!!!

sack the board

Pablo Escobar

I'm not disagreeing with you on the talk is cheap bit, but a lot of players have no alternatives. I'm under no illusions, but I'm actually pretty optimistic. The fact that Davin O'Neill wants to stay is the best news I've had.

razor
FORAS had weeks, even months to square a deal but they clearly didn't bother their arses half as much as they claim to have. Even dealing with the inaccurate figures given by TNB they knew the club was in dire straits from last season and could have and should have made greater effort to take on the club back then when it was in some shape and sitting pretty with sponsors and some dignity. Instead they were more concerned with pretending to be moral crusaders at the hour in need; it was akin to calling the undertaker ahead of the ambulance at a crash scene. All they were doing was papering over the cracks of their own folly of not sorting it out earlier to appear to be the great white hope, Tom Coughlan patterned wallpaper that they will reuse anytime FORAS Alberts foul up in 2010.With respect, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about.
FORAS were never in a position to instigate this takeover without Grey & O'Connells help, they wanted us involved.
Tom stalled and delayed until it was too late, trying every trick in the book to get his pound of flesh
FORAS BOM did everything they possibly could to make this happen but you can only buy something if the current owner wants to sell it.

The quote below is from a post by a FORAS BOM memebr on the goings on on Monday

At 3.30pm this afternoon the solicitor representing Tom Coughlan informed us via a conference call and I paraphrase

"Tom will drop the claim for the three additions if ye give him €140k for the shares"...He wanted €140k for a company that was insolvent and 5 minutes from liquidation!!!!

When he was told no chance this was the reply and I paraphrase

"If Tom does not get a payoff he will let this go under today, it is no loss to him if that happens"

redgav
24/02/2010, 10:46 AM
With respect, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about.
FORAS were never in a position to instigate this takeover without Grey & O'Connells help, they wanted us involved.
Tom stalled and delayed until it was too late, trying every trick in the book to get his pound of flesh
FORAS BOM did everything they possibly could to make this happen but you can only buy something if the current owner wants to sell it.
The quote below is from a post by a FORAS BOM memebr on the goings on on Monday

Razor - don't feed the animals ...have you NEVER seen the signs in Fota

Real ale Madrid
24/02/2010, 10:48 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you on the talk is cheap bit, but a lot of players have no alternatives. I'm under no illusions, but I'm actually pretty optimistic. The fact that Davin O'Neill wants to stay is the best news I've had.

Its not the initial team that will define how this and the next few seasons will go - that will clearly be defined on the level of support it gets - If the so called great Cork sporting public get out and support Cork City Foras Co-op then this will be a sucessful venture with great possibilities into the future.

Or after a few months apathy will reign again and this team will never be better than an average semi-pro / amateur set-up. I think its counter productive discussing who will sign / who wont sign etc - we should be focusing on giving whatever support we can muster over the next year, 5 years and into the future.

The BoM is not going to let us down - lets give them every support we can.

redgav
24/02/2010, 10:48 AM

Much as it pains me to say it after his previous at the club but Georgies empasioned speach on redfm last night filled me with optimism...to have a player of his calibre and playing experience would be a huge bonus.

razor
24/02/2010, 10:49 AM
Razor - don't feed the animals ...have you NEVER seen the signs in FotaI know Gav but things are quiet in work and i'm sick of reporting posts :D

redgav
24/02/2010, 10:52 AM
Its not the initial team that will define how this and the next few seasons will go - that will clearly be defined on the level of support it gets - If the so called great Cork sporting public get out and support Cork City Foras Co-op then this will be a sucessful venture with great possibilities into the future.

Or after a few months apathy will reign again and this team will never be better than an average semi-pro / amateur set-up. I think its counter productive dicussing who will sign / who wont sign etc - we should be focusing on giving whatever support we can muster over the next year, 5 years and into the future.

The BoM is not going to let us down - lets give them every support we can.

Forget about the GCSP,its a myth .When are city fans gonna realise this.IF MOC had gotten the Barca thing ,then you'd see the GCSP ,but they will have NOTHING to do with how much a success we make the club.This is all down to our hardcore support,our volunteers and our Cork City FC Community .Initially gates will be **** ,but I'd wager that crowds will be decent enough if we are anywhere near the top half of the table

pineapple stu
24/02/2010, 10:54 AM
Forget about the GCSP,its a myth
Thought you were talking about the Great Cost Salary Protocol for a sec. :p

Dodge
24/02/2010, 10:58 AM
Only you pineapple, only you....

Real ale Madrid
24/02/2010, 10:58 AM
Forget about the GCSP,its a myth .When are city fans gonna realise this.IF MOC had gotten the Barca thing ,then you'd see the GCSP ,but they will have NOTHING to do with how much a success we make the club.This is all down to our hardcore support,our volunteers and our Cork City FC Community .Initially gates will be **** ,but I'd wager that crowds will be decent enough if we are anywhere near the top half of the table

Well ok GCSP was probably pushing it a bit far alright - but we should be trying to harness as much support as possible for this team regardless, and forget about who's playing for us in the interim.

derm
24/02/2010, 10:59 AM
Much as it pains me to say it after his previous at the club but Georgies empasioned speach on redfm last night filled me with optimism...to have a player of his calibre and playing experience would be a huge bonus.

Even if we do get a team that is capable of promotion they'll (most likely) be playing for a manager they never played under before and with team mates they've never played with before. Big learning curve, and add in the possibility of some bigger names moving on in the summer transfer window. Plus the level of competition in the first.

Promotion is doable, but probably very unlikely.

dahamsta
24/02/2010, 10:59 AM
Lads, the golden rule is "attack the post, not the poster". Any more of this crap and I'm binning in the thread.

redgav
24/02/2010, 11:00 AM
Thought you were talking about the Great Cost Salary Protocol for a sec. :p

Nope, it actually stands for Grating Society of Procrastinating Students

joema
24/02/2010, 11:00 AM
Ccfc forum hacked today.

pineapple stu
24/02/2010, 11:03 AM
Nope, it actually stands for Grating Society of Procrastinating Students
Must be the dyslexics of DCU so. ;)

redgav
24/02/2010, 11:04 AM
Lads, the golden rule is "attack the post, not the poster". Any more of this crap and I'm binning in the thread.

Was that aimed at my don't feed the animals comment ?? C'mon Adam,the guy is clearly trolling/Wumming

redgav
24/02/2010, 11:06 AM
Ccfc forum hacked today.

Back up now ..it was the server hosts in Dublin that got hit ...quite a few sites would have been affected I'd say .That Ghost guy has a lot of previous