PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

tiktok
16/12/2009, 10:32 AM
They have to be paid, or have agreements in place on Monday next week. If not a license should not be issued.

Exactly. Coughlan needs to come up with the money to pay or sell up and hand over to someone who can. The FAI can't issue him with a licence if payments are outstanding, remember aswell that this is the safety net date, everything was meant to be paid by November 30th.

On an aside, the FORAS fund for players and staff, launched in September is still open.

pineapple stu
16/12/2009, 10:36 AM
Rumour on Cork forum is that the players have been asked to wait until January for their outstanding money.
What's coming in in January that'll make things ok?

eelmonster
16/12/2009, 10:38 AM

http://dynimg.rte.ie/0002691e-390.jpg

micls
16/12/2009, 10:39 AM

Kevin Long transfer fee, which is what TNB will say to the FAI Id imagine and assk them to fudge

tiktok
16/12/2009, 10:48 AM

Tom's been asked to go into the Celebrity Big Brother house.

tippex
16/12/2009, 10:59 AM
According to the star (page 67) this morning Roddy resigned from his position with Floriana by fax yesterday.

tiktok
16/12/2009, 11:15 AM
Who's your man that Roddy used to bring around with him as an investor to sweeten deals?
Corkery? I wonder if he's been dangled in front of Tom.

HammerNThongs
16/12/2009, 11:43 AM
This is like a bad nightmare except now I've started laughing.

marinobohs
16/12/2009, 12:24 PM
According to the star (page 67) this morning Roddy resigned from his position with Floriana by fax yesterday.

What time do the dancing bears arrive ?:D:D:D

HammerNThongs
16/12/2009, 12:29 PM
What time do the dancing bears arrive ?:D

Right after Georgie signs his contract :(

weecountyman
16/12/2009, 12:31 PM

Then someone is telling porkies. According to my buddy, who works with a Floriana player, Roddy was offered new improved terms for his contract (adding on 2 more years) only on Friday, was delighted and needed to go home to talk it over with his wife, but he committed to staying to the years end at least, told the players even on Sunday before the game that he was happy and that the Cork rumours were just that "I can't take a p#ss in Dundalk even without going for the job".

No fax landed yesterday from the Rodmeister but the players were told he might not come back. Bit sad to say the least!

OneRedArmy
16/12/2009, 12:34 PM
Then someone is telling porkies. According to my buddy, who works with a Floriana player, Roddy was offered new improved terms for his contract (adding on 2 more years) only on Friday, was delighted and needed to go home to talk it over with his wife, but he committed to staying to the years end at least, told the players even on Sunday before the game that he was happy and that the Cork rumours were just that "I can't take a p#ss in Dundalk even without going for the job".

No fax landed yesterday from the Rodmeister but the players were told he might not come back. Bit sad to say the least!What a stand up gent.

With ethics like that he should run for the Dail.

Or run a bank.

The Betting Man
16/12/2009, 12:40 PM
Roddy "Steps down"

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/corkcity/news.asp?n=37773

weecountyman
16/12/2009, 12:40 PM
What a stand up gent.

With ethics like that he should run for the Dail.

Or run a bank.

:D

In fairness I've heard only good things about how he's built up the confidence of the players and won over the supporters, but it's sad that he runs when he's on a winning/unbeaten streak! I know it's good to go out on a high, but not when the club are about to face the top two sides within 10 days!!!

Maybe it'll be a new movie, costumes provided by Louis Copeland, screenplay by Damo Richardson. Roddy Collins stars in "The Runaway Coach"
A tragi-comic-melodrama that is fun for all the family - The Northside People

Réiteoir
16/12/2009, 3:11 PM
Roddy "Steps down"

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/corkcity/news.asp?n=37773

Were Floriana in any danger of being relegated this season?

John83
16/12/2009, 4:10 PM
Were Floriana in any danger of being relegated this season?
Shockingly not.

Roddy seems to have occasionally written manager's notes. Here's (http://www.florianafc.com/roddyscorner.asp?rcid=1) one of them, complete with suitably heroic Roddy pose.

micls
16/12/2009, 4:49 PM
Dan Connor: I've had enough
Cork keeper to join exodus as wages go unpaid

By Aidan Fitzmaurice
Wednesday December 16 2009

CRISIS CLUB Cork City edged closer to the brink this week with the news that the club's few remaining players were not paid.

And now most of those six players are trying to find alternative employment, on the basis that their contracts with City are effectively null and void.

Experienced keeper Dan Connor says he cannot see himself playing for the club again as long as controversial owner Tom Coughlan remains at the helm -- Connor today launching a stinging attack on Coughlan and his stewardship of the club over the last 18 months.

Beleaguered Cork supporters have witnessed an alarming exodus of talent in recent seasons (see panel), with 14 players joining British clubs from City in the past four years. Most recent was the sale of teenage defender Kevin Long to Premier League side Burnley for a reported €150,000.

But more are bound to leave, as long-serving midfielder and Ireland international Joe Gamble, who only last month expressed his desire to stay with Cork and see out his career at Turner's Cross, is this week on trial with League One side Hartlepool United. The Monkey Hangers, as Hartlepool are sometimes known, are hoping to get clearance to play Gamble as a trialist in a reserve game against Sunderland today.

Gamble would command a fee of around €150,000 if sold on the transfer market, but due to breaches of his contract such as non-payment of wages, it's likely that Gamble will be seen as a free agent and allowed to join Hartlepool, or any other club, for no fee.

Debts

That leaves Dan Connor, Dan Murray, Danny Murphy, Billy Dennehy, Stephen O'Donnell and Paul Deasy as the only players left under contract at a club which has no manager, no squad, no training facility and massive debts, with owner Coughlan due in Dublin tomorrow to answer disrepute charges from the FAI.

But Connor, who only joined Cork from Drogheda United 12 months ago on a two-year deal, has already made up his mind and insists he will not be at the club if Coughlan is allowed remain in charge -- though the prospect of Cork being denied a licence and kicked out of football is a very live one.

"I honestly could not work with that man again. There is a complete absence of trust now between the players and the club," Connor said today.

"I would quit senior football and play in the Leinster Senior League before I would go through another season like this and work under the conditions that we had in Cork for the last year.

"Paul Doolin said when he left the manager's job a few weeks ago that it just was not worth the hassle and he was right. Sometimes you have to say enough is enough. If the owner doesn't have the money to run the club, why did he take over in the first place, or why didn't he let go a few months ago if he had the chance?

"This club has been a disaster and a shambles. For the last few months it's been embarrassing.

"We had the problem with getting the bus to Dublin, problems with wages, issues at the training ground, no showers after training as the power was cut when the bill wasn't paid. We've had enough," added Connor, who won a league title with Drogheda United and also played for Waterford United, after a spell in England with Peterborough United.

Connor has not been paid by City in more than four weeks -- and even then he was only paid a portion of the wages he was due for the month.

The remaining contracted City players were due to be paid yesterday but they were informed the previous day that there would be no wages, which deeply angered the City squad. Cork asked the players to delay their wage commitments until next month, when Cork are due a payment from Burnley relating to the sale of player Kevin Long, but Connor says he has no faith left in the club.

"We've had broken promises, we have been lied to and it's very, very hard to take. We are coming up to Christmas, I have a family to support, but I haven't been paid at all in a month and it's a while since I was paid my full monthly wages.

"Just now we were told that a donor's cheque had bounced, so there was no money there for us.

"Footballers are aware of what's going on. But we can't accept being lied to. The club can't just promise that you will be paid, and then send you a text at 8pm the night before your wages are due saying, 'We don't have the money so we can't pay you'. People's livelihoods are at stake here," he added angrily.

Battling

Derry City and Cork City spent the latter part of last season battling it out for third place in the league and the Europa League place that follows, but now it's certain that Derry, who finished fourth, will not even be in the Premier Division next season, if they are allowed back in to senior football at all, while at this point in time, it's hard to see Cork City FC being awarded a licence for the 2010 season.

Former player Gareth Farrelly has contacted the FAI's club licensing department to alert them to the fact that Cork reneged on a promise to pay him a some of €36,000 that he was owed, while former manager Alan Mathews is pursuing Cork through the courts with an unfair dismissal case which could cost the club €300,000.

That leaves the players from Cork and Derry in limbo, unable to find a club in Ireland due to cut-backs, so a move abroad appears to be the only real option for most. Some Scottish and lower-league English clubs have offered trials, but so far the only players to secure moves are Bohemians keeper Brian Murphy (to Ipswich) and Cork defender Kevin Long (to Burnley).

Connor, 28, had a trial with Exeter City in the summer but that failed to result in a contract. The Dubliner may have to look outside of Ireland for work.

"I don't know what my next move is," he said. "Going abroad might be an option, but going on trial is hard for a keeper. You play in a trial game and get nothing to do, so you can't impress."

- Aidan Fitzmaurice
Evening Herald

Dodge
16/12/2009, 6:28 PM
Its the best league in the world because you just could not make this stuff up but i seriously dont know whether to laugh or cry.

Trick is to laugh at other clubs, and cry for your own.

In my experiences anyway

Kildareman
16/12/2009, 6:43 PM
[QUOTE=micls;1294224]

"Just now we were told that a donor's cheque had bounced, so there was no money there for us.

Even the cheque from the sperm bank has bounced, bad times indeed.:D

Doomofman
16/12/2009, 7:01 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1216/collinsr_corkcity.html

I feel for you... I really do

fanatic
16/12/2009, 7:54 PM
Dan Connor: I've had enough
Cork keeper to join exodus as wages go unpaid

By Aidan Fitzmaurice
Wednesday December 16 2009

CRISIS CLUB Cork City edged closer to the brink this week with the news that the club's few remaining players were not paid.

And now most of those six players are trying to find alternative employment, on the basis that their contracts with City are effectively null and void.

Do Cork City currently have a squad of 6 players ?

being a derry fan i believe we now have a squad of 5 after siging gerrard doherty today !

tiktok
16/12/2009, 8:04 PM
Do Cork City currently have a squad of 6 players ?

being a derry fan i believe we now have a squad of 5 after siging gerrard doherty today !

We have a squad of 6 free agents

A N Mouse
16/12/2009, 8:16 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1216/collinsr_corkcity.html

I feel for you... I really do

So if Cork end up playing in the first next season, will Roddy finally have lost his 'proud' record?

weecountyman
16/12/2009, 9:01 PM
So if Cork end up playing in the first next season, will Roddy finally have lost his 'proud' record?

That's if he gets so far.

Do Cork City exist? by Claude Abela - Malta l-Orrizont

Speaking to this reporter this morning Floriana FC's spokesman stated that the club is surprised by the speculation regarding the coach Roddy Collins. "The Coach is still under contract until the end of this season and was to sign a contract extension this week. However we are now trying to get to the truth of this matter as it appears that Roddy and some man called Tom Coughlan were already speaking last week, before the coach returned for the Msida game." The clear breach of protocol on both sides has surprised the club, especially as since Saturday there has been no response from Cork City, no calls answered and no replies to faxes or emails. Indeed the FAI (Football Association of Ireland) have remained silent when contacted repeatedly by the club, Floriana, to explain why one of their clubs would behave in such an irresponsible and illegal manner.

"We've begun to wonder if Cork City even exist," the spokesman said "they've no website, they don't seem to answer phones and the FAI don't even know what division they play in. Yet apparently they're going to play Europa League? It's beyond a joke."

When asked if the club are considering legal action the spokesman answered: "If Cork City are professional and honourable they will respond to us and explain why they were in negotiations with our coach without our permission or knowledge, if they are not then it will be a very serious matter."

The current joke doing the rounds goes: "How do you keep a coach at Floriana? Beat Valletta and lose the rest."

redobit
17/12/2009, 10:43 AM
Its been said before and i will say it again - Fair City hasn't got a look in.

eamo1
17/12/2009, 11:34 AM
"We've begun to wonder if Cork City even exist," the spokesman said "they've no website, they don't seem to answer phones and the FAI don't even know what division they play in. Yet apparently they're going to play Europa League? It's beyond a joke."

Had to laugh when i read this,its funny because its true.Technically they exist in name only right now and yet they are in the Europa League next season:o.

micls
17/12/2009, 11:35 AM
Anyone know what time this meeting is?

I dont think he'l turn up tbh

razor
17/12/2009, 11:38 AM
Delaney and his team talked the talk in the Oireachtas yesterday.
Well John, nows the time to walk the walk.

tiktok
17/12/2009, 12:06 PM
Linda Block for Chairwoman!

OneForTheFuture
17/12/2009, 1:25 PM
Tommy No Show! again.

He said he was told not to come......

Longfordian
17/12/2009, 1:27 PM
No that's Tom Jones..

tiktok
17/12/2009, 1:28 PM
Tommy No Show!

Really? I'm surprised.
He was adamant he was going to defend his 'good' name in today's Echo [aka Tom's paper]

OneForTheFuture
17/12/2009, 1:34 PM
Really? I'm surprised.

Gospel according to NewsTalk sportsdesk.

kellco88
17/12/2009, 1:45 PM
Really? I'm surprised.
He was adamant he was going to defend his 'good' name in today's Echo [aka Tom's paper]

That article looks like it was done before the meeting. would have been done yesterday!!

tiktok
17/12/2009, 1:54 PM
That article looks like it was done before the meeting. would have been done yesterday!!

It could have been done three weeks ago, Coughlan probably wasn't even needed to write it.
The propaganda rag is in overdrive.

Ezeikial
17/12/2009, 3:08 PM
Floriana Statement

Due to recent speculation in the Irish media regarding the future of our Coach, Mr. Roddy Collins, the club wish to state the following:

1. According to Mr. Tom Coughlan, owner of Cork City FC and Mr. Liam Meaney, General Manager of Cork City FC, they began speaking with our Coach before any intention was indicated that Mr. Collins was looking to leave the club. In fact when this came to light last Friday night, following a report in the Cork Evening Echo, Mr. Collins strenuously denied and completely contradicted the report as a pure rumour and furhter refuted having met with anybody in Cork City in relation to becoming their new manager. This was confirmed by Mr. Collins to members of our Executive and Committee.

2. Floriana Football Club have always, as acknowledged by Mr. Collins, fulfilled their contractual obligations with our Coach and indeed had informed him that not alone was he secure until the end of the season 2009-10, but also that we wished to activate his 2 year extension clause with immediate effect, both as per Mr. Collins request, prior to the article in the Evening Echo.

3. At no time have Cork City FC requested permission from Floriana FC to speak to our Coach and have refused to respond to any phonecalls, faxes or emails requesting information regarding these now confirmed meetings since Saturday morning until today.

4. Mr. Collins returned to Ireland on Sunday 13.12.09 to organise bringing his family back over to Malta again and preparations were indeed made by Mr. Collins just a week previously to have them housed (at the club’s expense) in the SAS Radisson, St. Julians, throughout the Christmas period while looking for a new family home in Malta, having dropped the lease on their previous home in October.

5. Mr. Collins was due to report for duty today in advance of tomorrow's game with Qormi FC and remains under contract to Floriana FC until further notice.

We appreciate the recovery Mr. Collins has made in his career with Floriana FC, from a shaky start he has moulded a strong team and is unbeaten in 7 games. We are surprised that Cork City FC would approach a Coach already under contract and are disappointed that they would behave in such an underhanded, illegal and immoral manner. We will continue to contact them so that they can explain their position and actions. However since they seem to have a very uncertain and bleak future, despite the committment of their loyal and long suffering fans, this current absence of communication bodes ill for their and Mr. Collins future prospects should the media reports prove to be true.

Issued by the Joint Executive and General Committee of Floriana Football Club - 17.12.09

tiktok
17/12/2009, 3:24 PM
Start a drumroll folks..............
There's rumours of some big news coming out of Abbottstown.

micls
17/12/2009, 3:25 PM

He's been sentenced to public stoning?

HammerNThongs
17/12/2009, 3:28 PM
I like where this is going....

Magicme
17/12/2009, 3:32 PM

Spill, cant take the suspense!!!

Longfordian
17/12/2009, 3:33 PM
Tom is the new CEO of the FAI.

pineapple stu
17/12/2009, 3:36 PM
Colm Tresson's coming out of retirement?

HammerNThongs
17/12/2009, 3:36 PM
Tom is the new CEO of the FAI.

I wont lie, you got a chuckle out of me anyway :D

Doomofman
17/12/2009, 3:39 PM

Where exactly did you hear these 'rumours'

tiktok
17/12/2009, 3:41 PM
Where exactly did you hear these 'rumours'

I'm in the meeting room at Abbottstown, disguised as a clock!

pineapple stu
17/12/2009, 3:43 PM
Perfect person to tell us how long we have to wait so...?

Doomofman
17/12/2009, 3:44 PM

Sigh.. thought we may have been getting some actual news... Ah well

harps1954
17/12/2009, 3:45 PM
Cork City website back up and running again.

Doomofman
17/12/2009, 3:46 PM
Cork City website back up and running again.

I hope that's not the big news...

HammerNThongs
17/12/2009, 3:46 PM

Explains the username.... :p