PDA

View Full Version : Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

bluemovie
09/02/2010, 5:08 PM
That would remind me longfordian of the time at short notice Waterford Utd were told they were stayin in the top flight in the 2007 season .. I belive from recollection that they got two weeks notice that they were going up..

Yeah we got 2 weeks notice. It was one of those ones where we were glad to still be in the Premier, but weren't prepared. We got Dean Delaney and Dave Warren in at the last minute, but otherwise had a First Division squad. Lost the play-off to Harps having finished a point off safety. Bray could suffer the same way this season although I've presumed all winter that Bray would be staying up.

tippex
09/02/2010, 5:33 PM
Tbh we all have quietly been hoping the same but there is no way the club could make that assumption.

kid creole
09/02/2010, 5:37 PM
Totlly beyond farce at this stage .

razor
10/02/2010, 8:02 AM
Great to see Tom has finally made it.
his own wikipedia page here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Coughlan_(football))

WoodquayBoy
10/02/2010, 8:28 AM
A sad sad read

Jofspring
10/02/2010, 10:28 AM
Great to see Tom has finally made it.
his own wikipedia page here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Coughlan_(football))

Its incredible to read it all put down and condensed. As you read down the page it just seems like it couldn't get any worse but it does. So who's going to submit a section on Roddy to add to that page?

weecountyman
10/02/2010, 10:29 AM
Its incredible to read it all put down and condensed. As you read down the page it just seems like it couldn't get any worse but it does. So who's going to submit a section on Roddy to add to that page?

I thought I saw somewhere Roddy already has a wiki page. Maybe it was his brother(s) but I'm sure it was him.

Jofspring
10/02/2010, 10:32 AM
I thought I saw somewhere Roddy already has a wiki page. Maybe it was his brother(s) but I'm sure it was him.

Nothing referencing him as the current manager on that page though.

weecountyman
10/02/2010, 10:57 AM
Nothing referencing him as the current manager on that page though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roddy_Collins Is this the one you're looking at? It has him as manager but a quick scan through the history shows that a lot of folks are pretty unhappy chappies.

razor
10/02/2010, 1:14 PM
The references at the end are hilarious, Collins takes XXX job, next one XXX sack Collins, pretty much all the way down , unless he left in acrimonious circumstances and then its Collins settles with XXX

tiktok
10/02/2010, 3:12 PM
Danny Murphy, The Cockney Rebel, a man that should have had Irish caps under Brian Kerr and one of the most passionate individuals I've had the pleasure to meet has been driven out of Cork City and will sign for Shamrock Rovers tomorrow.

Another ember dies.
Tom Coughlan should be run out of Ireland.

razor
10/02/2010, 3:13 PM
Tom Coughlan should be run out of Ireland.out of Cork would do

Very disappointing to hear that.

micls
10/02/2010, 3:18 PM
It wasnt long ago Danny was telling us how they'd have to lock the gate behind him. Guess he's been shown where the gate was.

I honestly dont know how Coughlan can show his face in cork

Longfordian
10/02/2010, 3:20 PM
Any details on this mythical London consortium?. What's in it for them if they actually exist?.

RonnieB
10/02/2010, 3:21 PM
A pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow.

micls
10/02/2010, 3:24 PM
Well you see, if they put in loads of money, signed all the leagues best players then we'd qualify for the Europa group stages this year, gaining valuable experience before winning the double and qualifying for the CL group stages next year.

That's when the money would start pouring in. We'd be sorted

Longfordian
10/02/2010, 3:26 PM
Well you see, if they put in loads of money, signed all the leagues best players then we'd qualify for the Europa group stages this year, gaining valuable experience before winning the double and qualifying for the CL group stages next year.

That's when the money would start pouring in. We'd be sorted

Genius. It's a wonder nobody's tried it already. There's no way it could go wrong.

themaster56
10/02/2010, 5:09 PM
no harm if Crk City get their license the league of ireland is a farce

OneRedArmy
10/02/2010, 5:13 PM
Yep, that'll definitely be the farce/non-farce tipping point, its been solidly non-farcical up until now......

osarusan
10/02/2010, 6:33 PM
Yep, that'll definitely be the farce/non-farce tipping point, its been solidly non-farcical up until now......

I think he's saying that it would make no difference if Cork got the license as the league is a farce.

Onefootednopace
10/02/2010, 6:33 PM
Danny Murphy, The Cockney Rebel, a man that should have had Irish caps under Brian Kerr and one of the most passionate individuals I've had the pleasure to meet has been driven out of Cork City and will sign for Shamrock Rovers tomorrow.

Another ember dies.
Tom Coughlan should be run out of Ireland.

Very sad to hear this news but I suppose it was to be expected. Thanks for everything Danny, it was a pleasure to watch you play with City.
City's loss is Rovers gain.

SMorgan
10/02/2010, 9:50 PM
I think he's saying that it would make no difference if Cork got the license as the league is a farce.

Are you only realising that now?

Drogheda United are going to get a Premier Licence on the basis that they have a planning application in to build a new stand. They don't have to and won't build a damn thing. All they need, to by-pass the infrastructure criteria, is to have a planning application in the system.

You talk about a farce!!!

gael353
10/02/2010, 11:22 PM
waterford for the prem

**FrOsTy**
11/02/2010, 11:49 AM
in 2011 after we win this years First Div

razor
11/02/2010, 1:22 PM
Tommy has called a press conference for the Rochestown Park Hotel for 2pm tomorrow.

He's hardly calling a press conference to announce he has failed as a club owner.

Doomofman
11/02/2010, 1:38 PM
Tommy has called a press conference for the Rochestown Park Hotel for 2pm tomorrow.

He's hardly calling a press conference to announce he has failed as a club owner.

3 Days before the licenses are handed out... Wonder if it's related?

Onefootednopace
11/02/2010, 1:45 PM
I wonder has this press conference anything to do with the rumoured takeover by a U.K. based consortium or is that just another figment of Tommy's imagination.

Doomofman
11/02/2010, 1:47 PM
I wonder has this press conference anything to do with the rumoured takeover by a U.K. based consortium or is that just another figment of Tommy's imagination.

The latter I would imagine... But it would be nice if the club got taken over rather than having TNB stay until the very last bit of the ship has slipped below the water...

Dodge
11/02/2010, 2:17 PM

He might be calling it quits (and thereby admitting his failure)

passerrby
11/02/2010, 2:20 PM
ya think so.. i believe tommy is going to complain about the unreasonable timeframe of licencing and that if he can have just a few more day say a week at the most he can pull this out of the fire

Longfordian
11/02/2010, 2:24 PM
He wouldn't be calling a press conference if he didn't think he was going to come out of it looking well I reckon. He must have some kind of deal done and he can crow about "saving" the club.

Longfordian
11/02/2010, 3:01 PM
All shall be revealed at 3 tomorrow.

Cork City Football Club will hold a press conference tomorrow
afternoon at the Rochestown Park Hotel at 3 pm.

The club's General Manager, First Team Manager and First Team Captain
will be in attendance.

Members of the media are invited to attend.

No Tom present, presumably because he's banned?.

eamo1
11/02/2010, 3:07 PM
Is there another Jerry Springer like twist about to happen?"Tom and Roddy are announcing their engagement"-Jerry,Jerry,Jerry:D.

weecountyman
11/02/2010, 4:06 PM
Maybe they'll completely reform the club, it'll turn out the two Dans signed "Michael Mouse" on their contracts with Shamrock Rovers and thus they're null and void, the tens of thousands they received as signing on fees (plus the years wage in advance) will be enough to pay off existing City debts. Dan Murray will be captain again, Roddy moved "upstairs" to be a North American style "GM", Sean Connor (with a 200k payoff from Galway after they asked him to shave before exposing himself again, he got an out of court that we will hear about) will come in as "coach" and Glen Crowe will arrive as striker-striking coach.

The above has about as much a chance of happening as a "consortium" parting with a million quid to invest in Cork, what's more, they'll still get their licence thanks to this continued act of brinkmanship!

Longfordian
11/02/2010, 4:10 PM
Latest rumour is that the tax bill has been paid today. Puts the FAI in a bind if true.

centre mid
11/02/2010, 4:24 PM
Latest rumour is that the tax bill has been paid today. Puts the FAI in a bind if true.

Who is circulating this rumors, TNB?

Longfordian
11/02/2010, 4:31 PM
It's on the Cork forum, from the lad who runs it. He did say it was just a rumour.

pineapple stu
11/02/2010, 4:41 PM
Surely the amount of people publicly saying they're owed wages and aren't signing agreements is enough to deny them a licence? Not to mention that they must have shattered the 65% rule.

I reckon the conference will be cancelled when TNB forgets the draft, and so begins another in the long list of unavoidable and irritating obstacles which have been placed in big-hearted TNB's way.

Longfordian
11/02/2010, 4:47 PM
You'd think so but nothing is going to surprise me at this stage. I'm expecting them to get a Licence and if they don't it'll be a welcome bonus to see the rules applied properly to a club they want to keep.

Kildareman
11/02/2010, 5:34 PM
TNB just on Today FM in an interview with Matt Cooper.
The Cork lad that lost a million euro supporting his hometown club.
Says the club is in trouble because of contracts inherited. No player took a paycut.
€130k owed to revenue. When asked where will he get the money by Monday his reply was "not sure".

Doomofman
11/02/2010, 5:55 PM
TNB just on Today FM in an interview with Matt Cooper.
The Cork lad that lost a million euro supporting his hometown club.
Says the club is in trouble because of contracts inherited. No player took a paycut.
€130k owed to revenue. When asked where will he get the money by Monday his reply was "not sure".

So that puts an end to the rumour of the tax being paid

weecountyman
11/02/2010, 5:56 PM
His sidekick is on Newstalk.

SeanDrog
11/02/2010, 5:59 PM
heard it, nearly crashed the car when he made out all players were paid. The honest sports lover protrayal was sickening - cooper gave him a very easy time. Said h was trying to have something in place by clos eof business tomorrow (for all his words are worth at this point).

weecountyman
11/02/2010, 6:18 PM
The media are treating him, in person, with kid gloves. Something isn't right in all of this, his love of court room battles can only explain part of this, but there has to be an underlying factor for the amount of time given to Tom, Rod and their goons. They've gone unquestioned, unchallenged and continue to get whatever they want.

Doomofman
11/02/2010, 7:23 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0211/corkcity_.html

Fresh bid for Cork City

Thursday, 11 February 2010 20:16
Quintas has made a second offer to Tom Coughlan on behalf of Cork businessmen to take over troubled League of Ireland club Cork City.

In a statement released to RTÉ.ie tonight, the Cork-based financial services consultancy has confirmed that a bid has been made, led by Peter Gray and Michael O'Connell, and is completely separate to the previous offer which Quintas facilitated.

The proposal includes plans for FORAS, the Cork City Supporters Trust, to share in the ownership and management of the club.

Gray, a former sponsor of Millwall Football Club is a semi-retired businessman from Britain who now bases himself between London and Kinsale.

He is keen to help save the troubled Rebels: 'I have a genuine love of football and believe that Cork has the potential to be a really successful club.'

O'Connell, meanwhile, is a former Chief Executive of Adidas in Ireland and owns Mocad Golf.

FORAS members will soon vote on whether they want to be part of the bid, their chairman John O'Sullivan was excited by the offer:

'We support this move. This is a really exciting offer made by individuals who have the best interests of the club at heart.

'We sincerely hope that the bid will succeed and we will put the chance to share in this new opportunity to our membership as soon as possible.'

Cork City will hold a press conference on Friday but it is thought that this is not in relation to the offer.

Coughlan must now decide in the coming days if the offer is acceptable, but time is running out with the winding-up order hearing from the Revenue Commissioners set for the High Court on Monday, as well as the League of Ireland licencing decision from the Independent Licensing Committee and FAI due the same day.

centre mid
11/02/2010, 7:26 PM
I dont understand this late offer.

Why not just let the club go bust and start again in the first division with FORAS. Surely the could have come in a long time ago, were they waiting until TNB had no more room to manovre?

Mr A
11/02/2010, 7:31 PM
Offer or no offer, surely they can't get a license at this stage anyway?

Longfordian
11/02/2010, 7:35 PM
Unless they pay everybody off by tomorrow evening then it has to be too late. Why not let the bloody company fold and back the FORAS entity? The €400k or whatever could do an awful lot more good there. They could be Cork City again in a year or so.

Mad Moose
11/02/2010, 7:44 PM
If only it means that Roddy Collins doesn't get a pay off I'd say let the club fold and reform with an application for the 1st Division. If a dramatic saving of the club takes place at the very last minute nobody in their right minds would have Roddy Collins anywhere next or near the club. Presumably he'd seek a pay off should the club decide not to keep him in charge. Does anybody know how much Roddy gets and if he's getting it? Whatever is there I'd say Roddy is milking the club dry.

weecountyman
11/02/2010, 8:30 PM
If only it means that Roddy Collins doesn't get a pay off I'd say let the club fold and reform with an application for the 1st Division. If a dramatic saving of the club takes place at the very last minute nobody in their right minds would have Roddy Collins anywhere next or near the club. Presumably he'd seek a pay off should the club decide not to keep him in charge. Does anybody know how much Roddy gets and if he's getting it? Whatever is there I'd say Roddy is milking the club dry.

He claims to be on 500quid a week, less than half of what he claimed he was earning in Malta and a quarter of what he claimed he was on in RTE (seriously, he gave interviews stating he took a 50% drop in pay to go to Malta). Will FORAS keep him and his skipper on should they take over?