PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Razors left peg
01/10/2010, 5:16 PM
yep, His call up confirmed here ....
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101292:coleman-receives-first-senior-international-call-up&catid=1:senior-men&Itemid=8

Best of luck to him

Predator
01/10/2010, 5:52 PM
Great news. Just as Coleman's club career is taking off, he is rewarded with a senior call-up. That will be a major confidence boost.

centre mid
01/10/2010, 5:59 PM
Delighted for him.

Stuttgart88
01/10/2010, 6:14 PM
Yes, let's hope he cuts the mustard.

SkStu
01/10/2010, 6:21 PM
fantastic news financially (if/when he gets a cap) for Sligo Rovers too. And great for the profile of the league.

Charlie Darwin
01/10/2010, 6:25 PM
Yes, let's hope he cuts the mustard.
I hope you're pleased with yourself.

shakermaker1982
01/10/2010, 6:33 PM
Excellent news. He could do a job at RB and RM.

Sullivinho
01/10/2010, 7:25 PM
Fantastic news. This could be a memorable season for the lad.

ChrisRed
01/10/2010, 7:39 PM
Absolutely delighted, was becoming a bit concerned about Trap not calling up any of the promising youngsters albeit Cunningham. Hopefully get a few minutes in one of the games. Great opportunity for the lad.

gustavo
01/10/2010, 9:00 PM
For the millionth time I am delighted for Seamie fair play to him

Closed Account
03/10/2010, 7:23 PM
Poor Killer is going to have a torrid week with Seamie running at him. I wouldn't be suprised if its the straw that breaks the Kilbamels back. Interestingly that'd be Seamus's best chance of getting a look in. Force O'Shea over to the left flank. Kevin Foley would have something to say about it though. Poor Kev has turned up for every squad since Giovanni took over but only has 1 cap to show for it. Left out of most matchday squads too. Has never once hinted at complaining though. Ironically has more chance of getting a game if he's left out of a squad, at least then he'd have media backing.

paul_oshea
06/10/2010, 11:41 AM
http://breakingnews.ie/sport/coleman-blown-away-by-ireland-call-up-476564.html

elroy
06/10/2010, 11:45 AM
Every now and again Trap throws the odd unexpected decision. For example Lawro starting against Italy. But he had played in two friendlies before then and did well in particular against S Africa. Presume we all agree that there is little or no chance of Coleman starting on Friday?

tetsujin1979
06/10/2010, 12:35 PM
Every now and again Trap throws the odd unexpected decision. For example Lawro starting against Italy. But he had played in two friendlies before then and did well in particular against S Africa. Presume we all agree that there is little or no chance of Coleman starting on Friday?
almost none, he's breen brought in as back up for the right full slot. His best chance of making the team is if O'Shea plays left full and Foley plays right, with Coleman on the bench

paul_oshea
06/10/2010, 12:38 PM
yep i agree with tets he never really brings up players even if others drop out unless he has an uneven number for training for preferred positions. Its to gain experience for the younger fellas to be around the squad and learn of how things work, but more importantly balance things out in training for trap.

tetsujin1979
06/10/2010, 12:44 PM
bearing that in mind, would people expect McCarthy to start if he was in the squad?

tetsujin1979
17/10/2010, 12:03 PM
Coleman starting on the right wing against Liverpool today

irishultra
17/10/2010, 12:55 PM
''Everton are bossing these opening exchanges, pressing Liverpool quickly at every turn and getting forward at every opportunity. Full-back Seamus Coleman, in particular, looks a threat down the right.''

yet he cant make our rubbish national team. trapatonnis a real good manager lol

tetsujin1979
17/10/2010, 12:57 PM
''Everton are bossing these opening exchanges, pressing Liverpool quickly at every turn and getting forward at every opportunity. Full-back Seamus Coleman, in particular, looks a threat down the right.''

yet he cant make our rubbish national team. trapatonnis a real good manager lolwho would you drop to replace with Coleman?
O'Shea? Nope. Foley, more experienced at a higher level. Kelly, ditto. Lawrence/McGeady/Fahey on the right?

boovidge
17/10/2010, 1:07 PM
just set up cahill's goal. he has to be tried out in the norway game.

EastTerracer
17/10/2010, 1:08 PM
Coleman just created Everton's goal in the Merseyside Derby. A great run down the right side before pulling the ball back from the touchline for Cahill.

tetsujin1979
17/10/2010, 1:13 PM
nice assist there for the opening goal. We're pretty well equipped on the right (see my post above) so I don't think Coleman's omission is a stick to beat Trapattoni with.

youngirish
17/10/2010, 1:15 PM
Coleman is lethal going forward. I think he's found his home in the right of midfield. He's too dodgy defensively to be played at the back imo. Call me old fashioned but I like my defenders to be able to defend.

I'd start him for the Norway game and if he puts in a good performance I'd seriously consider him as a starting option for Ireland on the right of midfield if Lawrence was injured in a competitive game. Very few Irish players are making as many appearances for their clubs in as strong a team (only Dunne and O'Shea spring to mind). Unfortunately I'm not Trappatoni. He's going to be a top player bar that old poisoned chalice of young Irish footballer's careers -injury.

tommy_c12000
17/10/2010, 1:16 PM
Just reading some of the comments on Coleman on a supporters forum. One comment says he really is the "White Cafu.". From what I have seen of him so far, I think this is a pretty good description of him. Great assist for the goal. I wonder has Trap taken time out of his busy Sunday schedule of lounging in his deck chair beside his pool at his Italian villa to take in this game. Doubtful I would think

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/30844-Everton-v-Liverpool.-Sunday-17th-October-13.30./page30

boovidge
17/10/2010, 1:17 PM
we're crying out for someone like coleman to come on in the second half though. someone with energy who can get behind the defenders and whip a cross in. a genuine wide player unlike keogh or long.

shakermaker1982
17/10/2010, 1:19 PM
I think Coleman could do a job for us on the right of midfield whether it's from the start or as an impact sub. Could he have improved the team when Fahey went off? Yes.

The Fly
17/10/2010, 1:51 PM
Just reading some of the comments on Coleman on a supporters forum. One comment says he really is the "White Cafu."

Alan Hutton's the "White Cafu!" ;)

irishultra
17/10/2010, 1:52 PM
can coleman rly be as bad as kilbane at defending. put him right back, o shea on the left, and breathe a new lease of life into the irish team.

tetsujin1979
17/10/2010, 1:54 PM
can coleman rly be as bad as kilbane at defending. put him right back, o shea on the left, and breathe a new lease of life into the irish team.
Coleman isn't playing right full for his club, would you really play him there ahead of Foley and Kelly?

BTW I'm not saying Coleman shouldn't be in the squad, I'm not saying he isn't a good player, I'm saying he hasn't done enough to justify a starting position in either position on the right ahead of the established players.

SwanVsDalton
17/10/2010, 1:57 PM

Since when did 'breathe a new lease of life in the Irish team' simply equate to replacing a left back?

Also O'Shea was regularly poor at LB for Ireland in the past. Actually led to Stan making the only decent managerial decision during his Ireland reign when he switched swapped Finnan and O'Shea for the home match against Wales. We were flabbergasted - but Finnan marked Bellamy out of the game and O'Shea had his finest game for Ireland in months. RB or CB is where he belongs, moving to LB is nothing more than a short-term fix with no guarantee of improvement.

kev mcq
17/10/2010, 2:31 PM

yet he cant make our rubbish national team. trapatonnis a real good manager lol

He wasn't even playing full-back.

Sullivinho
17/10/2010, 3:01 PM
Alan Hutton's the "White Cafu!" ;)

'The Irish Cafu' it is then.

youngirish
17/10/2010, 3:50 PM
Coleman isn't playing right full for his club, would you really play him there ahead of Foley and Kelly?

BTW I'm not saying Coleman shouldn't be in the squad, I'm not saying he isn't a good player, I'm saying he hasn't done enough to justify a starting position in either position on the right ahead of the established players.
You mean like Paul McShane then or Stephen Kelly? All have started on the right for Ireland in competitive games in recent years.

Charlie Darwin
17/10/2010, 4:11 PM
can coleman rly be as bad as kilbane at defending.
Yes..

paul_oshea
17/10/2010, 5:24 PM
You mean like Paul McShane then or Stephen Kelly? All have started on the right for Ireland in competitive games in recent years.

the thing is everyone is jumping on the bandwagon now, and others are saying what has he done? they haevn't done anymore than they did last year. If now is the time they should already be in the squad and established. NO EXCUSES. Then we may well have had better return in games.

I remember someone once saying on here, if he is good enough he is old enough. Same goes with experience, if he is good enough he should be involved, those who are all waiting for trap or saying its not the right time, are the once who settle and then we end up losing points as the end product.

Eminence Grise
17/10/2010, 6:25 PM
'The Irish Cafu' it is then.

I'd rather McShane ...

... if only so we could call him McSnafu.

Predator
17/10/2010, 6:47 PM
can coleman rly be as bad as kilbane at defending.YA RLY!
Coleman will get his chance.

stiffler
17/10/2010, 8:35 PM
Seamus Ramos

Brendan 82
17/10/2010, 9:29 PM
Keane (Doyle)

Duff McGeady Coleman

Whelan McCarthy

Kelly Dunne O'Shea Delap

Given

tricky_colour
17/10/2010, 11:23 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1321358/Goodison-Park-match-zone-Joe-Cole-watch-Seamus-Coleman-learn.html

Goodison Park match zone: Joe Cole should watch fearless Seamus Coleman and learn

backstothewall
17/10/2010, 11:53 PM
Regardless of age, or experience, of how unfair it might seem on Kelly and Foley, and whatever one of Killer or Sledge that loses their place when O'Shea moves across, if the lad keeps playing like he has been he simply can't be ignored. If your good enough your old enough. That was true when an 18 year old Robbie Keane tortured Argentina back in '98, and its still true today.

Sullivinho
17/10/2010, 11:58 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1321358/Goodison-Park-match-zone-Joe-Cole-watch-Seamus-Coleman-learn.html

Goodison Park match zone: Joe Cole should watch fearless Seamus Coleman and learn

He certainly does have a real fearless dynamism about him, it's a joy to watch.

BonnieShels
18/10/2010, 1:56 AM
He was great today. Long may it continue.

SkStu
18/10/2010, 5:16 AM
He needs to be in the squad. Trap can decide where he should be deployed (i dont think his defending is as bad as being made out here). By the way, his performances were available to watch on your own doorsteps a couple of years ago.

kev mcq
18/10/2010, 2:09 PM
Keane (Doyle)

Duff McGeady Coleman

Whelan McCarthy

Kelly Dunne O'Shea Delap

Given

What's the point of this post?

geysir
18/10/2010, 3:15 PM
Pretty obvious point, it is a team with a formation of 4231 that includes Seamus Coleman.

kev mcq
18/10/2010, 3:19 PM
Pretty obvious point, it is a team with a formation of 4231 that includes Seamus Coleman.

It also includes Delap at RB and Stephen Kelly at LB. Love to see how that team would do!

Closed Account 2
18/10/2010, 4:36 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing Delap in the squad at least when was the last time he played for us ? 2004 ? At 34 he mightnt be one for the future, but his throws could be useful against teams if we were chasing a game and moved Dunne into attack for the last few mins...

geysir
18/10/2010, 4:41 PM
Switch the full backs around and you have a possible team.
The 4231 certainly looks interesting.

SwanVsDalton
18/10/2010, 4:50 PM
Interesting but I don't think we have the ability or will to play and pass the ball how it would be needed in a 4231. Unless we had a complete change in mindset - or manager.