PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

KK77
03/12/2014, 10:24 AM
I would be fine if he is actually playing, but if he is sitting on the bench I don't see how it is good for his game,
certainly not good for those who want to see him play. He need to be play, there is something wrong if they can
pay £20m for someone to sit on the bench.

I suppose the move will have to happen first but yes can take the point you are making. I am thinking how much better defensively he would become under the special one but on the point you make it might well be hard to see him to displace Ivanovic in that position as he is head and shoulders above him at present.

Acornvilla
03/12/2014, 10:30 AM
Dave, Ivanovic and Luis can all occupy the fullback spots on both sides, Luis is really only left sided but can do the job, Ivanovic would be the opposite, while Dave can play both sides equally well. I'm not sure where Seamie would fit into that. Can't see it happening, although, perhaps if Ivanovic were to start playing CD more when Terry's legs eventually completely fall off, (he turns 34 next week) then there's an opening.

Ivanovic is a fantastic player, but isn't quite as fast as you'd like a top class fullback to be, and does get caught out every now and then because of this.

TheOneWhoKnocks
06/12/2014, 3:36 PM
Looks like Coleman is playing in midfield this afternoon.

paul_oshea
06/12/2014, 4:28 PM
Starts out right wing today.only mcgeady on bench.

paul_oshea
06/12/2014, 4:53 PM
He has been very poor today.lost the ball that Led to the penalty.

tricky_colour
06/12/2014, 5:34 PM
Everton have been pretty poor all round. Maybe a better second half, but Man City look pretty solid.

mark12345
06/12/2014, 8:17 PM

Thought he was pretty solid today. Did a very good job with the ball at his feet and almost sprung an equalizer twice. Not bad for a player out of position.

KK77
08/12/2014, 9:44 AM

Yep sleeping at the wheel again.

Charlie Darwin
11/12/2014, 12:13 AM
Always knew he'd cost his side a penalty some day.

KK77
11/12/2014, 8:55 AM
Always knew he'd cost his side a penalty some day.

Yep small details!

BonnieShels
11/12/2014, 10:01 AM
He's a liability.

DannyInvincible
18/12/2014, 12:55 PM
Video interview with Séamie by RTÉ prior to the RTÉ Sport Awards on Sunday evening: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2014/1218/667676-rte-sport-awards-seamus-coleman-interview/

He's nominated for 'Person of the Year'.

Seamus Coleman admits he would have liked to have won more caps under Giovanni Trapattoni, but credits the former Ireland manager with improving the defensive side of his game.

The 26-year-old struggled to break into the Irish squad during the Italian’s reign despite regularly lining out for Everton in the Premier League.

In a wide-ranging interview with RTÉ Sport ahead of Sunday night’s RTÉ Sport Awards (9.30pm, RTÉ One), Coleman said: “I obviously felt that I should have got more caps than I did because I was playing quite well at the time for Everton and the manager didn’t see fit to put me in.

“But on the other hand, Ireland were doing really well to qualify for major tournaments. I know the media side of things wanted me playing but I never had a problem with Giovanni Trapattoni and if anything I learned a lot from him on the defensive side of things.”

Coleman is now firmly established as one of Ireland’s most important players in Martin O’Neill's, though injury has limited his involvement in the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign.

Ireland are in a four-way battle for qualification with Germany, Scotland and Poland in Group G, and will face an uphill battle when the campaign resumes at the end of March. But Coleman believes that despite defeat to Scotland in their last game, the team is still well placed to challenge for qualification after a heroic draw against Germany.

“We were obviously disappointed with the Scotland game but the lads did absolutely brilliantly to get a result out in Germany. We have still got Poland to play home and away and still got Scotland. It is still early days in the group and I’m sure that we can qualify.”

Coleman also spoke about his unconventional route to the top. His formative years featuring Gaelic football and the League of Ireland instead of a training contract at a football academy.

He said: “I know a lot of people go over to England when they are 15 or 16 years of age. I personally think if I had gone over at that age I would have been back by the time I was 18 or 19 because I would have struggled being away from home. I was homesick enough when I went away at 20."

Instead, Coleman became a League of Ireland star, lining out for Sligo Rovers 55 times between 2006 and 2008. “I was playing with men from the age of 17 and 18. I suppose I missed out on the coaching side of things but I got a lot more from the League and it stood me well and made the step up kind of easy I suppose.”

Coleman also considers the mentality developed while playing GAA as a teenager a key part of his sporting make-up.

"Playing for Killybegs Under 10s and 12 right up to Minors we were a successful group and won most things at underage level. We were quite a committed group and a tight bunch of lads.

"That definitely helped me, that commitment and motivation side of things. I took that motivation into Sligo Rovers and over here as well. It’s definitely stood me well.”

And while Coleman has had a superb 2013-2014 season, earning a place in the PFA Team of the Year and being named Everton’s player of the year and players’ player of the year, he is firmly of the view that there is more to come.

“I came here wanting to break into the first team and that’s what I did. Every step after that I try to keep pushing myself and I’m still doing that today. I’m not saying I’ve made it yet either because I like to keep pushing myself so I think that’s keeping me going.”

tetsujin1979
29/12/2014, 10:23 AM
Linked with a move to Manchester United this morning: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/417328/Seamus-Coleman-Manchester-United-Chelsea-Everton-january-transfer-window
Not sure how much credibility I'd put into it, they've been linked with about 20 players over the last few weeks, and there's no quotes from management or player, and it's the Star

tricky_colour
29/12/2014, 10:23 PM
Yea not the most credible of sources, plus it is not the first time we have heard such rumours.
Obviously clubs will be interested in him being a decent player.
They should snap up Richard Dunne too, another solid display last match.

Olé Olé
29/12/2014, 10:51 PM
Yeah, it's a common rumour with Coleman- either United or Chelsea linked. The suggestion of Coleman to United is most likely underpinned by LVG's rotation between a 3 and 4 man defence i.e. Coleman would quite seamlessly switch between right-back in a back four or wing-back in 3-5-2.

Definitely a gap in their side for Coleman and would be great to see an Irish player in a title-challenging side again.

KK77
30/12/2014, 9:58 AM
I was out trying to run off the Christmas pudding on St Stephens Day and was listening to the off the ball podcast from Monday 22nd December and Pat Nevin was on. He was saying Seamus has been very poor of late.

TheOneWhoKnocks
30/12/2014, 10:37 AM
http://talksport.com/football/martinez-rejects-talk-ps25m-move-manchester-united-everton-star-141230130311

Martinez denies rumors.

TheOneWhoKnocks
31/12/2014, 11:25 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/31/manchester-united-seamus-coleman-transfer-target-everton

Coleman rumors gathering pace.

The Fly
31/12/2014, 1:52 PM
Yeah, it's a common rumour with Coleman- either United or Chelsea linked. The suggestion of Coleman to United is most likely underpinned by LVG's rotation between a 3 and 4 man defence i.e. Coleman would quite seamlessly switch between right-back in a back four or wing-back in 3-5-2.

It's underpinned more by Rafael's persistent injury problems, and the main reason United have switched between 3 and 4 at the back is the lack of options at full back. Buying Coleman would enable United to play with a proper back 4 much more consistently.

Charlie Darwin
31/12/2014, 2:27 PM
It's underpinned more by Rafael's persistent injury problems, and the main reason United have switched between 3 and 4 at the back is the lack of options at full back. Buying Coleman would enable United to play with a proper back 4 much more consistently.
LVG clearly doesn't rate Rafael, or Shaw for that matter. He more or less came out and said the reason he decided on 3-5-2 right away is because he has to play Young and Valencia as wing backs.

The Fly
31/12/2014, 2:45 PM
LVG clearly doesn't rate Rafael, or Shaw for that matter.

I agree with the former, but it's too early to suggest he doesn't rate Shaw. He's only 19, has a lot of potential and missed the first month of the season with injury. That's a separate point however.

Charlie Darwin
04/01/2015, 5:14 PM
Rafael injured again, broken cheekbone this time. Not sure if that'll alter LVG's thinking though.

The Fly
05/01/2015, 1:13 AM
Rafael injured again, broken cheekbone this time. Not sure if that'll alter LVG's thinking though.

It'll probably strengthen it.

Keep an eye on Everton's line up for the FA Cup match against West Ham on Tuesday. If Coleman isn't on it, I'd say the deal's done.

DeLorean
05/01/2015, 11:18 AM
LVG clearly doesn't rate Rafael, or Shaw for that matter. He more or less came out and said the reason he decided on 3-5-2 right away is because he has to play Young and Valencia as wing backs.

Did he actually say this when Rafael was available for selection though? I don't know if he rates him or not, but he seems to play when fit. He certainly rates his attitude (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/van-gaal-hails-unbelievable-rafael-8381663) anyway.

Rafael has an injury, a fracture of his bone. So it was fantastic that he had the guts that he could play through but I had to change him. He played through the pain because in the last few weeks he hasn't played much but he now can play he is injured. He has a fantastic mentality Rafa, he is unbelievable.

TheOneWhoKnocks
05/01/2015, 12:10 PM
If it happens at all, it'll happen in the summer.

KK77
07/01/2015, 10:44 AM
A world class full back according to John Giles. Sweet lord above! I suppose John is allowed an extra few bacardi and cokes at Christmas!

DeLorean
07/01/2015, 1:08 PM
Maybe it's debatable whether he's world class or not, but we live in a world where Glen Johnson picks up £7m a year for his services at right back! Coleman was generally recognised as being amongst the world's best right backs last season, so I suppose his consistency levels from here on will determine how he's remembered. This season has been fairly stop start but hopefully he'll have a clear run for a while.

DeLorean
19/01/2015, 11:34 AM
The rise and rise of Seamus Coleman (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2913212/Seamus-Coleman-rise-rise-Everton-s-brightest-talent-soon-heading-Manchester-United.html)

tetsujin1979
15/02/2015, 11:03 AM
Linked with a move to Bayern Munich today: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bayern-munich-target-seamus-coleman-5165789

Crosby87
15/02/2015, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately he's allergic to rote grutz.

Olé Olé
15/02/2015, 5:21 PM
Missing the days of having an Irish performer excite for a big side like Damien Duff when he was at Chelsea. John O'Shea is a more subdued presence at right-back than Coleman (no offence to him). Is Bayern a push though? Maybe not if you consider he's probably better than Rafinha and Lahm is only getting older so between RB and CM he might play more in the latter.

TheOneWhoKnocks
12/03/2015, 3:10 PM
http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/03/11/report-bayern-munich-scout-everton-star-seamus-coleman-man-uni/

http://www.tz.de/sport/fc-bayern/bayern-muenchen-danilo-seamus-coleman-gonzalo-castro-gespraech-4807148.html

"For once there is a certain Seamus Coleman. The 26-year-old plays for Everton and has been at the Merseyside still have a contract until 2019. A bargain he would be in any case if its market value (18 million euros), the lease term and its content in the pimped of TV money Premier League sets to reason. Bayern had years ago way before interest in a full-back Everton, but 2010, Leighton Baines decided against the offer of Bayern, because he did not want to leave his home. Whether that would apply to the Irish Coleman also"?

Coleman scouted by Bayern Munich.

tricky_colour
05/04/2015, 9:55 PM
Vote for Coleman for goal of the month here!!

http://vote.tectonicinteractive.com/?22#/show/16459

tricky_colour
05/04/2015, 9:57 PM
Vote for Coleman for goal of the month here!!

http://vote.tectonicinteractive.com/?22#/show/16459

Sorry for creating a new thread just wanted to make sure as many as possible see it.

Also put it in his tread so you can delete this thread when MOTD is over.

tricky_colour
05/04/2015, 9:58 PM
Have to say he probably will not win though.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/05/2015, 1:44 PM
Coleman cost €400,000 according to Paul Cook.

https://balls.ie/football/20091-seamus-coleman-transfer-fee/

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/05/2015, 5:53 PM
Coleman makes generous €5,000 donation to Mark Farren fund.

http://www.the42.ie/seamus-coleman-2083901-May2015/

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/05/2015, 6:04 PM
Coleman is off to Chelsea. The Daily Mail said it so it must be true.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/chelsea-preparing-27m-bid-for-seamus-coleman-as-toffees-braced-for-departure-reports-31194013.html

paul_oshea
04/05/2015, 6:05 PM
Infostrada Sports*@InfostradaLive

Seamus Coleman has conceded 3 penalties in the PL League since the start of 2013/14. Only Koscielny has caused more in that time (4).

interesting stat.

seanfhear
04/05/2015, 6:42 PM
Coleman makes generous €5,000 donation to Mark Farren fund.

http://www.the42.ie/seamus-coleman-2083901-May2015/Well done Seamus.

paul_oshea
04/05/2015, 6:50 PM
Infostrada Sports*@InfostradaLive

Seamus Coleman has conceded 3 penalties in the PL League since the start of 2013/14. Only Koscielny has caused more in that time (4).

interesting stat.

tricky_colour
05/05/2015, 1:22 AM
He may have conceded 3 penalties but he probable prevented much more :)

Charlie Darwin
05/05/2015, 1:24 AM
His legendary luck, as first identified by geysir, has deserted him this year but I have no doubt he'll rediscover it in future, especially if he moves to Chelsea.

Stuttgart88
05/05/2015, 6:47 AM
3 pens in nearly 2 full seasons where he has been virtually ever present. That's about 1.5 per season. The guy's a liability.

eitoof
05/05/2015, 8:24 AM
Nothing particularly against Chelsea but would not like to see Coleman going there.
It's not done a lot for another good full back, Filipe Luis.

tetsujin1979
05/05/2015, 9:25 AM
the number of penalties per season are on the increase too, in twenty years I fully expect him to be giving away at least one a game

seanfhear
05/05/2015, 10:36 AM
Seamus is a very attacking fullback. He may not be the best defender in the world but his all round game more than compensates.

Maybe a mad suggestion but wouldn't Seamas be a great full back for a club like Barcelona. I would take Seamas over Daniel Alvaes(gone way past his best) any day.

Seamus as a great attacking full back would suit the Barcelona style of play.

If this happens I want a small percentage of the signing on fee.

tricky_colour
05/05/2015, 4:44 PM
You have to speculate to accumulate, yes he may give away the odd penalty but what
about the time when he prevents a goal with out the foul being spotted?

I'd say he is comfortable in the red in that respect.

Stuttgart88
05/05/2015, 4:58 PM
I agree with Paul's observation that he sometimes gets suckered into getting the wrong side resulting in him clipping heels or tugging his opponent but it's hardly a fatal error and I suspect if he curbed his attacking instincts (who'd want him to do that?) he'd get caught the wrong side less frequently.

I thought he got forward brilliantly at times against Poland. The Watford winger will need keeping an eye on in Dublin though. Poland had nothing like that kind of threat in Dublin.

TheOneWhoKnocks
27/06/2015, 7:47 PM
Man Utd linked with Coleman again.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2506131/man-united-set-to-move-for-everton-right-back-seamus-coleman

A number of players have been linked to fill the role, including Barcelona's Dani Alves and Southampton's Nathaniel Clyne, but United have missed out on the pair with Alves signing a new deal at the Camp Nou and England international Clyne on the verge of a move to Liverpool.

And sources say United are now ready to pursue a move for Coleman, a long-term target for the Old Trafford club, who considered making a move for the Irishman during the January transfer window.