PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Crosby87
22/11/2010, 10:37 PM
Well he has 2 years to work things out I suppose.

shellyriver
25/11/2010, 2:32 PM
yeah, he tried to skin him on the outside a few times but Bardsley was surprisingly up to the task. Cant help but feel that if we were looking at acquiring players and he was one that was talked about (i think he was mentioned a few times here as expressing an interest) then we may have missed out. Very tough defensive performance from Bardsley.

Coleman overall was very disappointing to be honest. Seemed a bit lost compared to recent performances and as i said is a bit positionally unaware when supporting the attack from out wide.

Ha Ha - Coleman was considered man of match against Arsenal ghosting past Fabregas etc -- then this genius spews out above mentioned guff. Bardsley is an ex Man U player and Scottish international intent on defensive work. But no no Coleman must provide par excellence performances to satisfy the nay sayers. Please, please, cop on.

Exiled
25/11/2010, 2:41 PM
It's Coleman's first season as a Premier League regular, his performances are bound to fluctuate. He is gaining bags of experience with every game. Rest assured, he'll be a key player for Ireland in the not too distant future.

SkStu
25/11/2010, 2:46 PM
Ha Ha - Coleman was considered man of match against Arsenal ghosting past Fabregas etc -- then this genius spews out above mentioned guff. Bardsley is an ex Man U player and Scottish international intent on defensive work. But no no Coleman must provide par excellence performances to satisfy the nay sayers. Please, please, cop on.

yes genius - you do realise that Everton v. Arsenal and Everton v. Sunderland are two different games and that players produce different performances in different games? He failed to beat Bardsley for pace on the outside a few times during Mondays game which i was surprised by. Try watching the game, genius.

Im a huge fan of Coleman you sap. I just didnt think he played very well against Sunderland. He is not the finished article yet. That is all. No big deal. Please, please, cop on.

Stuttgart88
25/11/2010, 3:43 PM
Well said stu.

Shellyriver - most of us here like to exchange views honestly and in a mature manner. Go somewhere else if you feel the need to call someone a muppet for not deifying Seamus Coleman in one game.

Supreme feet
25/11/2010, 10:55 PM
Well said Stutts. Usually this forum is one of the first things I open when I get into work, but some of the bile and hysteria over Coleman, Trappatoni and Norway on here has been depressing to read lately.

CraftyToePoke
26/11/2010, 1:49 AM
Well said stu.

Shellyriver - most of us here like to exchange views honestly and in a mature manner. Go somewhere else if you feel the need to call someone a muppet for not deifying Seamus Coleman in one game.

Completely agree. Wrong forum for that stlye of posting Shellyriver, its not necessary, not what this forum is about, and not welcome.

tricky_colour
27/11/2010, 3:58 PM
He didn't start today, but then again they lost 4-1 so maybe he will be starting again soon.

rebelmusic
27/11/2010, 5:28 PM
He didn't start today, but then again they lost 4-1 so maybe he will be starting again soon.
Haha - from the point of view of Coleman losing his place, that result suits us perfectly. And we have a serious shortage of PL starters. Even Duff wasnt started today

theworm2345
27/11/2010, 5:34 PM
Victor Anichebe's return to fitness could threaten Coleman's role if Moyes continues to try him on the wing. Then again if Saha, Yakubu, and Beckford can't start scoring Anichebe could well be played up front instead of on the wing.

tetsujin1979
27/11/2010, 5:57 PM
Haha - from the point of view of Coleman losing his place, that result suits us perfectly. And we have a serious shortage of PL starters. Even Duff wasnt started today
Duff was taken off at half time against City last weekend, clearly wasn't fit.

rebelmusic
27/11/2010, 7:09 PM
Im not sure if that was down to fitness? He played pretty badly against City and was the main fault for the second goal.

tommy_c12000
27/11/2010, 10:01 PM
Interesting to note that Phil Neville sat this one out with a knee problem. Moyes started with Hibbert at right back instead of Coleman. Moyes clearly still doesn't trust his defensive skills yet. Really disappointing as personally I see him as a potential top class right back. I don't think he will reach anywhere near the same heights as a right midfielder. With Anichebe and Osman close to returning to full fitness, and with Fellaini back now after suspension, it is hard to see him starting regularly at right wing.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/11/27/neville-knee-problem

Colbert Report
28/11/2010, 12:41 AM
Trap was right about this guy.

shaneker
30/11/2010, 4:31 AM
http://www.tomwfootball.com/2010/11/24/tactics-coleman-stam-lead-full-backs-forward-charge/#more-2839

Not the most insightful article to be honest, but it concentrates on Coleman.

tommy_c12000
04/12/2010, 2:13 PM
Good to see him back in the starting line up today against Chelsea

gustavo
04/12/2010, 3:22 PM
He's giving the best left back in the world a good game

tricky_colour
04/12/2010, 3:45 PM
Seems to be having a good game.
Everton have just equalised, commentator said Coleman got assist but he was wrong, good result if it stays 1-1.

tetsujin1979
04/12/2010, 3:59 PM
Seems to be having a good game.
Everton have just equalised, commentator said Coleman got assist but he was wrong, good result if it stays 1-1.
It was a cross from Baines, headed back across goal by Cahill and finished by Beckford with a close range header
I think Coleman was standing behind Cahill when he headed it

paul_oshea
04/12/2010, 9:32 PM
lovely push on terry.

Stuttgart88
05/12/2010, 4:12 PM
Just saw MoTD. He took Ashley Cole out from behind for a certain penno in my opinion.

Speaking of pennos, I thought the Howard / Anelka incident was really similar to Shay and van Nistelrooy in 2001. I don't think it was a penalty but 99 refs out of 100 would give it. In my opinion Anelka, having knocked the ball wide of Howard had to run one side or the other. Instaed he ran straight and clattered into Howard who was just standing his ground. Anyone agree?

drummerboy
05/12/2010, 5:02 PM
Just saw MoTD. He took Ashley Cole out from behind for a certain penno in my opinion.

Speaking of pennos, I thought the Howard / Anelka incident was really similar to Shay and van Nistelrooy in 2001. I don't think it was a penalty but 99 refs out of 100 would give it. In my opinion Anelka, having knocked the ball wide of Howard had to run one side or the other. Instaed he ran straight and clattered into Howard who was just standing his ground. Anyone agree?

Totally. Howard couldn't have gotten out of the way if he wanted to.

Sullivinho
05/12/2010, 5:07 PM

He's done that a few times this season, no doubt encouraged by the fact he keeps getting away with it :D

100% Wasn't there a similar incident in the home leg of the France playoff featuring Shay and Anelka? (no penalty given)

Charlie Darwin
05/12/2010, 5:17 PM
I don't think there was any contact with Given.

I think it was geysir who said a few pages ago that Coleman is a "lucky" player. He certainly seems to be that, and long may it continue. At the same time, the ball in was too far behind Cole for him to make contact anyway and it would have been harsh for Everton to lose the game on account of two off-the-ball collisions.

Crosby87
06/12/2010, 12:15 AM
I think it was geysir who said a few pages ago that Coleman is a "lucky" player. He certainly seems to be that, and long may it continue.

Post of the month so far. Who else is getting luck? Short list I'm afraid.

tricky_colour
11/12/2010, 9:03 PM
Seemed to have a decent game today, he seemed to involved a fair bit, the foreign comentator
was saying Co-le-man a lot.

The Fly
12/12/2010, 12:35 AM
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2010/12/09/seamus-coleman-will-fight-for-everton-fc-place-if-landon-donovan-returns-92534-27794148/

The Fly
12/12/2010, 12:37 AM
Coleman named Everton's player of the month for November

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/12/07/seamus-is-player-of-the-month

Closed Account
15/12/2010, 6:28 PM
http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/12/football-blogs/the-top-ten-premier-league-prospects-for-2011/attachment/9-seamus-coleman
I love it when they get it so massively wrong.

With England lacking in quality in the right-back position, if Coleman pushes on he could be challenging for a regular place in the England team, sooner rather than later.

shellyriver
16/12/2010, 2:51 PM
Well said stu.

As for such a comment you can place it were the ventriloquist places his gesticulations.

Anyways, glad to see Seamie get a some recognition for his wonderful performances in November. Still probably not enough to get a run out in a drab friendly! I mean we Irish we have such abundance of talent in the Premiership. :rolleyes:

Delighted to see him bounce back after not getting a run out with Ireland, dropped for a game and all the while playing out of position.

As was noted earlier on this tread that 'Trapp was right about this guy?' Methinks not.

Serb
16/12/2010, 4:08 PM
As was noted earlier on this tread that 'Trapp was right about this guy?' Methinks not.

That comment was in relation to Coleman not being ready to play at fullback. He has been excellent pushing forward, but you can't deny that he has been dodgy at best in defence. He has been extremely lucky not to have conceded a couple of penalties and no doubt the yellow / red cards that probably should have come with the fouls. He'll improve with experience, but he's not a full-back yet.

In relation to that, the one place Ireland has an abundance of talent is on the flanks. Sure, Coleman has played well for a few weeks on the wings in the Premier League, as have many other players who are now plying their trade in the Championship and lower. By the time the next international game rolls around, we'll have a better idea how good he is. I think most people here would agree that he'll ultimately end up as a right sided defender.

shellyriver
20/12/2010, 12:16 AM
Good grief -- there really is some unremitting guff in the internet!

The Fly
20/12/2010, 12:45 AM
As for such a comment you can place it were the ventriloquist places his gesticulations.

...articulate muppetry from an 'ever shrilly' poster. ;)

paul_oshea
20/12/2010, 7:09 PM
Just got a good assist for cahill.he seems to connect well with him

theworm2345
20/12/2010, 8:59 PM
Didn't think he was particularly good tonight (at least after the opening half hour) though he certainly wasn't bad...was brought off with 15-20 minutes remaining.

Charlie Darwin
20/12/2010, 9:24 PM
I thought he did well considering how much he had to defend. Caught out by Kolarov a couple of times when he came in-field.

tetsujin1979
20/12/2010, 9:40 PM
apart from the assist, I barely noticed him, especially in the second half. What I will say is that City had countless balls deep into their left, with noone running on to them so presumably Coleman and Neville were doing their jobs on the right.

irishfan86
20/12/2010, 10:35 PM
Thought he had a good start but faded as the game went on. I think "defending" a 2-0 lead doesn't really suit him, as the play became more conservative.

When the game was about counter-attacking at the beginning, he looked in his element, but when Everton had to change their tactics to retaining the ball while in the lead, he didn't seem as comfortable. I remember him giving the ball away a couple of times which was disappointing but he's still learning his trade.

Great ball though for the goal as mentioned, and a fanstastic team performance by Everton...actually put down some coin that Everton would win this match, so I'm a happy boy today.

Colbert Report
20/12/2010, 11:52 PM
Moyes has already said he'll be looking to bring in a right winger in January, says he wants to give Coleman a break.

Colbert Report
28/12/2010, 5:12 PM
Coleman playing on the right wing for Everton today away to West Ham, great goal!

tricky_colour
28/12/2010, 5:16 PM
Yes just saw that one nice goal did well to get on the end of the cross and tuck it away.
BBC had the score screwed up they had it at 0-1 when it should have been 1-0

Fixer82
28/12/2010, 5:17 PM
Yeah nice finish. He seems lively.
Not afraid to get into the box and have a go.
He really deserves to be in Irish squad ahead of some others

Colbert Report
28/12/2010, 5:22 PM
He really should have scored another goal just before half-time but was surprised at how much time and space he had an blasted it over instead.

Fixer82
28/12/2010, 5:27 PM
Yeah he snatched at it but willing to have a go which is good to see.
Don't know how that would fit into Trap's uber-conservative style though

tricky_colour
28/12/2010, 5:59 PM
He really should have scored another goal just before half-time but was surprised at how much time and space he had an blasted it over instead.

There seemed to a lot of bodies between him and the goal, not easy to score, could have hit it better perhaps, but it would have taken something special to score from where he was, I have only seen it on a stream though.

tommy_c12000
28/12/2010, 6:26 PM
Did ok this evening. Took his goal well but looks very one dimensional as a winger and had a heavy touch at times. Looks out of his depth as a premiership right winger for me. I can only see him making it in the premiership as a right back

Colbert Report
28/12/2010, 6:28 PM
There seemed to a lot of bodies between him and the goal, not easy to score, could have hit it better perhaps, but it would have taken something special to score from where he was, I have only seen it on a stream though.

Don't be making excuses for him, no reason for him not to get the shot on target at the very least. Worrying. We'll see if he still gets a game once Moyes brings in his new right winger come January.

tricky_colour
28/12/2010, 6:50 PM
Don't be making excuses for him, no reason for him not to get the shot on target at the very least. Worrying. We'll see if he still gets a game once Moyes brings in his new right winger come January.

He got the first one on target so that a 50% conversion rate which is very high.

Anyhow I just checked Sky Sport's rating

http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3283886,00.html
"Everton's best player"

That's probably a fair comment, who played better?
Certainly not the guy who scored the own goal!!

Supreme feet
29/12/2010, 3:12 AM
Yeah nice finish. He seems lively.
Not afraid to get into the box and have a go.
He really deserves to be in Irish squad ahead of some others

He's been in the squad for the last two games.

Yard of Pace
29/12/2010, 12:04 PM
He has a goal and an assist from his last 2 or 3 games. If that is out of his depth, how good is a winger who is in his depth?????