PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

paul_oshea
07/02/2014, 4:23 PM
I'm sure it will be beneficial in that Coleman and Lukaku otherwise wouldn't have had a proper rest, but their absence also coincided with a hammering by Liverpool. Even a draw in that game would have Everton in fourth now. Good in terms of refreshing a couple of key players but bad timing.

I dont think having lukaku in there would have prevented 4 goals somewhow, and as good as Coleman is i dont think he would have prevented 4 goals either. Liverpool put in these awesome performances every so often coupled with a few other factors related to Everton I'd put it down to just one of those things.

If Liverpool lose to Arsenal and Everton won this weekend its open again even if Everton draw and liverpool draw its still 1 good/bad result seperating them

Charlie Darwin
07/02/2014, 4:43 PM
I dont think having lukaku in there would have prevented 4 goals somewhow, and as good as Coleman is i dont think he would have prevented 4 goals either. Liverpool put in these awesome performances every so often coupled with a few other factors related to Everton I'd put it down to just one of those things.

If Liverpool lose to Arsenal and Everton won this weekend its open again even if Everton draw and liverpool draw its still 1 good/bad result seperating them
Well not saying they'd have done it alone, but the injuries to those players and Distin meant they were playing the very inexperienced Stones at full back and Alcaraz, who's had next to no football this season, in the centre. Having a makeshift defence certainly contributed to them conceding those goals.

Stuttgart88
07/02/2014, 5:36 PM
It was an odd game. Everton could easily have been 1-1 and were on top before Liverpool's second, which Howard was at fault for. Suarez' third was an extraordinary solo goal after a dumb error by Jagielka. Liverpool were able to pick Everton off once they went chasing the game. I think Liverpool are looking like a really good side again though.

paul_oshea
08/02/2014, 3:54 PM
Well what do I know!

You could be right stutts.2 very good performances now.

TheOneWhoKnocks
08/02/2014, 4:01 PM
Well what do I know!

You could be right stutts.2 very good performances now.

Some day Seamus Coleman will concede a penalty and Anthony Pilkington will truly be out of favour and we will be laughing all the way to the bank, Paul.

SkStu
09/02/2014, 1:49 PM
Everton with Coleman such a different beast. He's had one of his quieter games so far but still one of the most effective players on show.

McGeady on the bench today. McCarthy not as good as I've seen recently.

paul_oshea
09/02/2014, 4:31 PM
If McCarthy was quieter or appeared quieter does that mean given the last few posts he was actually at his best today?that the less you see of him means in fact he is more effectual.

Stuttgart88
09/02/2014, 7:08 PM
Grow up Paul. It's pretty obvious what people have been trying to say but it just doesn't suit you to acknowledge it. It is still a matter of opinion whether one rates him or not, that's fine, but to pretend you don't understand the point at hand is a bit daft.

He's never going to be a Hollywood player, that's not his game. I'd say he's more of an "adhesive" player than an "accretive player". He makes himself available for many players a lot of the time so he holds things together and is often the foundation on which an Everton attack is formed. If I can throw in a rugby analogy, he's like a scrum half who gives quick ball rather than a guy who'll get you over the gain line.

I only saw the first half today and thought he was a long way off his best, and he gave the ball away carelessly a few times. But my overall impression of him this season has been of a guy who doesn't hide from the ball and who does e simple things well. I think there's more to come from him. I do worry that he needs a strong partner like Barry to help him along. But he has Barry and he does just fine at Everton.

paul_oshea
10/02/2014, 10:23 AM
Grow up Stutts, just because i embarassed you with the prostate/hair loss joke :P

So what you saw yesterday I have seen in a good few games, someone who didn't appear to do an awful lot, but did give the ball away needlessly 4 times in a row, something i havent seen before, however the rest I have. Now that you see that you think he was well off his best, and thats your opinion, I've been saying i've seen this a good bit, and I base my argument on that. It doesn't change now because you saw him off his best, and it doesnt change what people were counter arguing with the fact that he keeps the team ticking along, like oil in a car, it wont run without Petrol but Oil keeps it ticking along nicely, or like electrolytes in the body, it doesnt run at 100% when they are depleted. The argument for McCarthy not standing out is that somehow he is like oil keeping Everton well lubricated and ticking along nicely, something you don't notice but when he doesn't then Everton arent at their best.

I put down that the reason you thought he was off his best was cos of these needless passes and giving hte ball away, had he not done this you probably would have thought he was the gel holding everything together.

Stuttgart88
10/02/2014, 11:54 AM
I didn't know what that drug referred to!

Yes, I thought he was off his best because he was sloppy at times and had to scramble to recover from his errors. But, at Arsenal for example, he was very positive and hardly put a foot wrong. Everton fans and Martinez are saying that this is how he has been on a regular basis.

I haven't been overwhelmed by any of his Irish performances yet. Trap was right in his "shy" remarks, he has to realise that he is more than just the young guy finding his way. His time is now, step up. Gibson was a bit like that at United - happy for others to do the accretive stuff.

tricky_colour
10/02/2014, 12:11 PM
The question is is he the oil in the engine or the oil leaking out of the engine?

I do like the car analogies though whether it be oil in the engine or broken piston.

paul_oshea
10/02/2014, 1:07 PM
Ah stutts i had a feeling it might have been beyond you alright, but if it wasn't you can trust me it was a good joke.

Finasteride is used for those with enlarged prostates(your initial jibe :)) or for those struggling with hair follicle stimulation - something i was insinuating you suffered from(both) :D

Exactly you thought he was sloppy and therefore that was why he was poor, I was saying that just make him look bad, whereas otherwise you wouldnt have noticed him at all.

Perhaps there is a correlation between the two, Everton are going through a bumpy patch and McCarthy hasn't been as good (in yours and a few others opinion), however again I'd counteract that Barkely and most of them(barry looks sluggish too) seem to be going through a bad patch.

Stuttgart88
10/02/2014, 1:33 PM
Yep, probably both afflictions!

I think Everton were unlucky yesterday. They had all the play that I saw and Spurs weren't at the races. Coleman was excellent in the first half too.

paul_oshea
10/02/2014, 2:08 PM
They were definitely missing an out an out striker, but they were poor enough in the 2nd half in terms of shots on target, I dont think they had any actually!

tricky_colour
10/02/2014, 4:44 PM
How was Coleman defending for the goal?

He was one of the few Everton player facing the ball and he pointed out a man who needed to be marked,
should he have marked him himself? Or did he have duty to mark player wider out on the wing?

It was poor showing for Everton though, they are supposed to be professional players.

Personally l don't think you can blame Coleman much because the rest of the defence had totally switched
off and he can't mark everyone.
yet few seems aware of the danger from a quickly taken free kick

paul_oshea
10/02/2014, 4:59 PM
There was no player wider on the wing, but i thought jagielka should have had him initially but coleman was in better view of his run than jagielka as jagielka had his back to Adebayor. Seamus was a bit slow and half hearted in his attempt at a tackle on Emanuel, he was brushed off a bit easy. But you couldn't out right blame him, I thought both were poor but a great finish and strength by Emanuel. Thought howard could have closed the angle a bit better actually too.

tricky_colour
10/02/2014, 8:59 PM
The way I see it is Coleman has came across to mark Adebayor initially as he was unmarked, he then seems to
point out Adebayor to Jagielka who moves toward Adebayor as if to mark him, Coleman then moves toward the
right back position thinking Jagielka has Adebayor covered but then Jagielka turn his back on Adebayor
allowing him to start a run as the Distan is playing him onside.

There is player wide on the wing who has his hand up calling for the ball and Coleman need to keep an eye on him.

Also Coleman should have had a penalty.

tricky_colour
10/02/2014, 9:57 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2555887/PSG-eye-Chelseas-Ivanovic-Man-United-Arsenal-keen-Coleman-Man-City-talks-12-year-old-Swede-TRANSFER-COLUMN.html

Manchester United and Arsenal keen on Coleman Seamus Coleman's ongoing improvement at Everton has been attracting admiring glances from far and wide this season. The Republic of Ireland full back has been one of several success stories at Goodison Park this season as he continues to develop.

Arsenal and Manchester United are both considering approaches for the summer, but so are AC Milan. Clarence Seedorf is replacing right back Ignazio Abate and Coleman has been recommended as one to bear in mind.

AC Milan general manager Adriano Galliani said: 'There’s a lot of dialogue between myself and Clarence and it’s clear that when changing the formation, you need new players. In June, we’ll sort out what needs sorting.'

Everton will resist all offers as they look to build on this season's performances and challenge for a top-four place again next year. However, they could be offered a healthy profit on the £60,000 David Moyes paid to Sligo Rovers in 2009.
Manager Roberto Martinez wants to sign Gareth Barry on a permanent deal and will look at the possibility of signing for Romelu Lukaku. He also wants a left-sided centre back.

tricky_colour
10/02/2014, 10:02 PM
It's interest about Man U, Coleman seems to have flourished under Martinez, in a way moving to Man U
would seem like and technical be a backward step of 4 points.

BonnieShels
10/02/2014, 10:15 PM
Coleman to AC would be mental.

SkStu
10/02/2014, 11:01 PM
I hate to hijack the Coleman thread but I've seen a lot of evertons games this season. McCarthy is an excellent player. He's not invisible, he's just gets on with things and does his job. When allowed he breaks forward with great effect. He's a great passer. He had a bad game on Sunday. Good players have bad games occasionally.

Charlie Darwin
10/02/2014, 11:18 PM
I hate to hijack the Coleman thread but I've seen a lot of evertons games this season. McCarthy is an excellent player. He's not invisible, he's just gets on with things and does his job. When allowed he breaks forward with great effect. He's a great passer. He had a bad game on Sunday. Good players have bad games occasionally.
McCarthy is a bad game waiting to happen, apparently.

tricky_colour
10/02/2014, 11:24 PM
A cylinder head gasket waiting to blow.....

tetsujin1979
10/02/2014, 11:32 PM
McCarthy is a bad game waiting to happen, apparently.
everytime he doesn't have a bad game, does that mean the next game is more likely to be a bad game?
the mathematician in me wants to express that as a function, something like P(bg) = 1 - (P(gg) * games)

tricky_colour
11/02/2014, 12:46 AM
I think I will top that with "e to the i pi equals minus one" :)

e^(i pi) = -1

Stuttgart88
11/02/2014, 6:51 AM
Coleman to AC would be mental.
Yep, and it might get Jonny Sexton in Paris out of all the weekend newspaper supplements for a change.

DeLorean
11/02/2014, 9:31 AM
It's interesting about Man U, Coleman seems to have flourished under Martinez, in a way moving to Man U
would seem like and technical be a backward step of 4 points.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the exact moment... surely United will come good again and offer a much better career overall. Everton are have having a stormer of a season by their standards and still won't end up in the Champions League. I like Everton and all that but it would be nice to have a top player playing at a top club again.

paul_oshea
11/02/2014, 9:34 AM

It depends what your definition of excellent is, if he was excellent he will be at a top club soon the likes of arsenal, city or chelsea, Barry has been good for Everton but he was surplus to requirements for City cos he isn't good enough, but good enough for Chelsea. If he is excellent as you suggest we should see him at one of those clubs in the next year or so.

Stuttgart88
11/02/2014, 9:38 AM
There's a clear flaw in your logic there Paul. Nicklas Bendtner is at Arsenal. Nuff said.

btw, I bet City wished they had Barry instead of Demichelis against Chelsea.

paul_oshea
11/02/2014, 11:20 AM
There isn't a flaw, there is an exception to every rule. It shows how bad Arsenals striking problems are that they still have him anywhere near the team even on the odd occassion.

Pellegrini brought in Demichelis, so I'd say he was happy he was there. Interestingly I heard that Pelligrini is a qualified Civil Engineer.

Charlie Darwin
11/02/2014, 11:32 AM
Are you suggesting Pellegrini's civil engineering degree allows him to see something in Dimichelis the rest of us don't? His 'unseen' qualities, perhaps?

Crosby87
11/02/2014, 11:34 AM
Could that mean that he is an Engineer who behaves in a very civilized manner?

Stuttgart88
11/02/2014, 11:49 AM
Paul, Demichelis is a centre-back deployed on an emergency basis in midfield. I'd bet you anything had Barry still been there he'd have started in midfield ahead of Demichelis.

I don't buy into the logic that excellent players will ultimately play for the very best teams, and "excellent" is pretty subjective anyway.

Also Financial Fair Play dictates that managers must make-do in certain situations rather than keeping on buying the best players at the clubs close behind them.

peadar1987
11/02/2014, 12:12 PM
Civil Engineer? That explains why he makes stupid decisions.

(Signed: A mechanical engineer ;) )

tetsujin1979
11/02/2014, 12:39 PM
There isn't a flaw, there is an exception to every rule. It shows how bad Arsenals striking problems are that they still have him anywhere near the team even on the odd occassion.

Pellegrini brought in Demichelis, so I'd say he was happy he was there. Interestingly I heard that Pelligrini is a qualified Civil Engineer.
does that mean he's not an engineer until you see him do some engineering?

paul_oshea
11/02/2014, 1:32 PM
Very good tets :D

I'm sure now that ye(plural) have been told though ye will see it regardless of whether I see it or not ; )

Bungle
11/02/2014, 2:16 PM
I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the exact moment... surely United will come good again and offer a much better career overall. Everton are have having a stormer of a season by their standards and still won't end up in the Champions League. I like Everton and all that but it would be nice to have a top player playing at a top club again.

In theory United will come good again. However, football doesn't always sing to the hymn book as Liverpool and to a lesser extent Everton fans could testify after the past 20 years. I actually see pretty choppy waters ahead for United if they fail to qualify for the Champions League. The really top players won't want to go there and those top players that do are more likely to be of the mercenary persuasion. United have an exceptionally ordinary team and two of their three world class players could go this summer. If they started next season badly, it could be a horrible place to be a player.

While I want to see Irish players playing for the top 5/6 clubs in England and that includes United, I think Seamus should put a bit of consideration into his next move, if he does decide to move on. Personally, I think he'd be better off staying another season with Everton, who I think will only get better. If they do and they begin to get into the Champions League on a regular basis, then why move from a club where he is loved and is fast becoming a cult hero with their support.

DeLorean
11/02/2014, 3:45 PM
Even if United did turn into a Liverpool they would still be challenging for trophies and making the Champions League fairly regularly and, realistically, that's a worst case scenario. In my opinion there's no comparison as to what he could achieve at United compared to Everton. Even their best seasons don't amount to much in terms of real success. That's not a dig at them in any way, they're a great club but unfortunately compete with at least one arm tied behind their back.

tricky_colour
12/02/2014, 12:19 AM

Well I guess a move at the end of the season would be OK, assuming Man U do come good again, however their
fall from grace has been quite dramatic and there has been little sign of improvement yet, but with their money
I assume they will get back up the table eventually, Coleman could be a part of doing that as they seem to be stagnating at the moment.

tricky_colour
12/02/2014, 12:34 AM
In theory United will come good again. However, football doesn't always sing to the hymn book as Liverpool and to a lesser extent Everton fans could testify after the past 20 years. I actually see pretty choppy waters ahead for United if they fail to qualify for the Champions League. The really top players won't want to go there and those top players that do are more likely to be of the mercenary persuasion. United have an exceptionally ordinary team and two of their three world class players could go this summer. If they started next season badly, it could be a horrible place to be a player.

While I want to see Irish players playing for the top 5/6 clubs in England and that includes United, I think Seamus should put a bit of consideration into his next move, if he does decide to move on. Personally, I think he'd be better off staying another season with Everton, who I think will only get better. If they do and they begin to get into the Champions League on a regular basis, then why move from a club where he is loved and is fast becoming a cult hero with their support.

Wow, I was thinking Man U's current position might be something to do with the Glaziers failing to invest in the club.
So I went to look to see the last time Man U broke the transfer record which revealed some rather surprising facts (to me at least!!).

1 Man U have *never* broken the transfer record!!
2 Only one British club has (since 1952) Shearer to Newcastle

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/Flag_of_England.svg/23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England) Alan Shearer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Shearer)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/Flag_of_England.svg/23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England) Blackburn Rovers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Rovers_F.C.)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/Flag_of_England.svg/23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England) Newcastle United (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_United_F.C.)
15,000,000[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_football_transfer_record#cite_note-7)

So I guess I really need to looking at UK transfers.
Last time they broke it was 2002, however the record is not broken often enough for it to be
much of a guide.
I guess they signed Mata for a fair sum but I don't know enough about their dealing to say much more,
so I will quit digging.

Break over!!

I think the reason may be the sacking of the coaching staff after Sir Alex left, there was no
need for that, it does not send out a good message to other staff/player, it's not as if they
were doing a bad job.

tricky_colour
12/02/2014, 2:22 AM
Seems Roy agrees with me!!

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/02/kickoff-transfer-nearing.html

Great minds think a like :p

The story was post some hours before my post, so I can't try and make anything out of it.

paul_oshea
12/02/2014, 9:11 AM
I read a different article to that TC and it reads completely differently. I think it was the metro/evening standard ill try and find it.

Charlie Darwin
12/02/2014, 6:15 PM
Coleman, McGeady and McCarthy were all set to start v Crystal Palace, with Delaney starting on the opposite side, but it's been called off, as has Sunderland v Man City.

paul_oshea
13/02/2014, 8:53 AM
Sorry for hijacking the Seamus Coleman thread! But last night was the 2nd time I have seen Luis Suarez in the flesh, and he in my opinion is (my definition of it at least) excellent. His all round game last night, off the ball, technique, movement was just excellent. I have watched a good few games of his on the tele but like watching Ibra that time in the Aviva, you don't appreciate how good they really are until you see them in the flesh. But as I say, that is what excellent truly is in my humble opinion.

DeLorean
13/02/2014, 10:45 AM
Yeah but if he was that excellent he wouldn't be playing for a team that finished behind Everton the last two seasons :rolleyes:

It depends what your definition of excellent is, if he was excellent he will be at a top club soon the likes of arsenal, city or chelsea, Barry has been good for Everton but he was surplus to requirements for City cos he isn't good enough, but good enough for Chelsea. If he is excellent as you suggest we should see him at one of those clubs in the next year or so.

Suarez is world class by the way. If they're the standards you're already judging McCarthy by it's little wonder you're so disappointed.

paul_oshea
13/02/2014, 10:47 AM
You must be a liverpool fan, talking in the past as always DeLorean :P We are all about the here and now. Also you will note the use of the word "will".

he was brought to a club expectant of playing in the CL and challenging top 4 - obviously for liverpool it has taken a bit longer to acheive that, assuming they do this year!

DeLorean
13/02/2014, 10:57 AM
The here and now is that they are competing with Everton and Spurs for top four, yet McCarthy needs to be playing for Arsenal, City or Chelsea in the next year to be considered excellent. Well Suarez is a few years older than McCarthy and he is still playing with a side with the same ambition as Everton. You're the one living in the past if you're thinking Liverpool's main aim is any greater than that.

Anyway, I don't disagree about Suarez but you might as well be comparing McCarthy to Messi or Ronaldo really.

paul_oshea
13/02/2014, 11:46 AM
No suarez isnt as good as them.

DeLorean, its completely subjective what Liverpool are aiming for, but I'm pretty sure for a long time now rodgers behind the scenes has been gearing them up for a title push. He will say something to the media - like today where he leaves it open ended with the ambition statement - but they aren't really competing with Everton(8 points behind with 1 game in hand), perhaps spurs, but i think they are competing for at least at the very least top 4, not just top 4 with everton and spurs. They are 4 points off the top hardly settling for staying in 4th at 4 points off the top!!!

You cannot say that Liverpool with american owners who have invested quite heavily already and liverpool having invested more than utd over the last few years, and way more than everton have the same ambition as Everton. Thats plain wrong. Everton 19th liverpool 5th http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

As mentioned in an earlier thread Liverpools purchases are way ahead of UTDs.

Crosby87
13/02/2014, 12:07 PM
Yeah the Red Sox group owns Liverpool and they are not afraid to spend money like water.

paul_oshea
13/02/2014, 12:16 PM
Ya Crobsy, Henry had a big interview a couple of years ago with the Daily Telegraph, I actually thought he might have paid for that article, anyway it was about what they had done as a sports management group, and how they had wanted to model their FSG red sox on liverpool. Basically he said they weren't afraid to spend money but would rather bring players through, but that the only reason they would get involved was to win titles and cups. These guys have a proven track record, and we know what they did to acheive a red sox domination, it will be interesting if that model works in the PL though.

I think this is the one, whatever one i read anyway was interesting and gave insight into his thinking http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8725444/Liverpool-owner-John-W-Henry-admits-top-players-wanted-to-leave-the-club-before-his-overhaul-at-Anfield.html