PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Stuttgart88
07/01/2012, 5:42 PM
Get over yourself. We all know he's a full back originally. David Moyes feels he's too raw to play RB in the PL. I'd take his opinion over yours anyday. Rightly or wrongly Trap doesn't like his full backs committing to attack too much, and Coleman's instincts are very attacking. I'd have no worries about him at RB for Ireland myself, but would like to see him tested there at club level first.

liamoo11
07/01/2012, 6:15 PM
Get over yourself. We all know he's a full back originally. David Moyes feels he's too raw to play RB in the PL. I'd take his opinion over yours anyday. Rightly or wrongly Trap doesn't like his full backs committing to attack too much, and Coleman's instincts are very attacking. I'd have no worries about him at RB for Ireland myself, but would like to see him tested there at club level first.

What an arrogant response. Moyes plays him in midfield because he has far more options at full back than he does in wide midfield. He bought him as a full back. He would only have ever seen him play full back when he watched him at sligo and for the ireland 21s. When he gave him his debut for everton he played him full back. When he loaned him to Blackpool he would have done so to give him games at full back. Moyes gave him a new 3 year contract at the end of that season after watching him play full back for Blackpool. I think it is fair to say that would suggest that moyes did not see him as a failed full back.

Everton started last season very poorly with coleman on the bench and moyes was getting lots of stick for a lack of creativity in midfield. Coleman played full back in the league cup in september when he scored but gave away a penalty and they were knocked out by brentford. Moyes reacted by giving coleman his first premier league start 3 days later on the right of midfield in the hope of injecting some creativity which we all know he certainly did. So where does that make him too raw to play full back ?Are you basing that on coleman giving away a peno in a league cup game and been rightly criticised by an under pressure manager for it? The fact is he has done far too well in midfield for everton for them to think of moving him back not that there is a doubt that he is capable of playing there. So get your facts straight before shouting your mouth off coleman is a right full doing an excellent job on the right of midfield and not somehow a player who has failed as a full back as the likes of you would have us believe.

youngirish
07/01/2012, 7:04 PM
What an arrogant response. Moyes plays him in midfield because he has far more options at full back than he does in wide midfield. He bought him as a full back. He would only have ever seen him play full back when he watched him at sligo and for the ireland 21s. When he gave him his debut for everton he played him full back. When he loaned him to Blackpool he would have done so to give him games at full back. Moyes gave him a new 3 year contract at the end of that season after watching him play full back for Blackpool. I think it is fair to say that would suggest that moyes did not see him as a failed full back.

Everton started last season very poorly with coleman on the bench and moyes was getting lots of stick for a lack of creativity in midfield. Coleman played full back in the league cup in september when he scored but gave away a penalty and they were knocked out by brentford. Moyes reacted by giving coleman his first premier league start 3 days later on the right of midfield in the hope of injecting some creativity which we all know he certainly did. So where does that make him too raw to play full back ?Are you basing that on coleman giving away a peno in a league cup game and been rightly criticised by an under pressure manager for it? The fact is he has done far too well in midfield for everton for them to think of moving him back not that there is a doubt that he is capable of playing there. So get your facts straight before shouting your mouth off coleman is a right full doing an excellent job on the right of midfield and not somehow a player who has failed as a full back as the likes of you would have us believe.
I've seen Coleman playing at right back numerous times and he's very flakey defensively IMO. I don't think my nerves would hold if he started there in an Ireland shirt in a competitive game. Moyes is getting the best out of the player sticking him further up pitch as far as I'm concerned where he's far more effective.

Eminence Grise
07/01/2012, 9:03 PM
What an arrogant response.... as the likes of you would have us believe.

If he's half as defensively-minded as your response and preceding post, we've got a world class player on our hands!

liamoo11
07/01/2012, 9:45 PM
If he's half as defensively-minded as your response and preceding post, we've got a world class player on our hands!

Hopefully would be great to have a right full who would be comfortable on the ball, offer an attacking threat and be defensively capable from his years of senior football playing right back.

Charlie Darwin
07/01/2012, 10:10 PM
I think everybody here wants Coleman to develop into a quality right back but at the moment his manager doesn't trust him enough in that position. Not much we can do about that.

The Fly
07/01/2012, 10:21 PM
Charlie just replied to 6 threads in around 10 minutes.

What's the record?

gastric
07/01/2012, 10:47 PM
Charlie just replied to 6 threads in around 10 minutes.

What's the record?

Easy when you read, sh#t and leave!

The Fly
07/01/2012, 11:24 PM
Easy when you read, sh#t and leave!

Is that an awry dig at Charlie's use of punctuation, or are you recommending a bowel motion for speedier replies?

gastric
07/01/2012, 11:27 PM
The second recommendation. Charlie is quick, to the point and gone.

The Fly
07/01/2012, 11:32 PM
Charlie is quick, to the point and gone.

What do you think about Danny? ;)

gastric
07/01/2012, 11:44 PM
Danny is like the author of War and Peace compared to Charlie who writes Ladybird books!

Charlie Darwin
08/01/2012, 12:42 AM
Brevity.

The Fly
08/01/2012, 5:23 AM
Brevity.

Succinctly put.

Stuttgart88
08/01/2012, 11:32 AM
What an arrogant response.

Moyes did not see him as a failed full back.

You got the response your ridiculous know-it-all original post deserved. I doubt there's anyone here that isn't aware of Coleman's background as a full back at Sligo and during his loan stint at Blackpool.

I never said Moyes saw him as a failed full back. Your words entirely.

You were the one shouting your mouth off.

I don't recall any "scorn" about the concept of Coleman playing full back, just some justified caution (note youngirish's opinion as an example of what has been said previously). I never said anything whatsoever about him being a failed full back - I even said I'd be happy with him at RB for Ireland. I'm not sure that there's any doubt about my claim that Trap doesn't like his full backs to be particularly attack-minded. Personally, I love attacking full-backs.

You just came on with a bunch of paranoid pre-conceived notions and I was just putting you straight on a few things.

liamoo11
08/01/2012, 1:49 PM
You got the response your ridiculous know-it-all original post deserved. I doubt there's anyone here that isn't aware of Coleman's background as a full back at Sligo and during his loan stint at Blackpool.

I never said Moyes saw him as a failed full back. Your words entirely.

You were the one shouting your mouth off.

I don't recall any "scorn" about the concept of Coleman playing full back, just some justified caution (note youngirish's opinion as an example of what has been said previously). I never said anything whatsoever about him being a failed full back - I even said I'd be happy with him at RB for Ireland. I'm not sure that there's any doubt about my claim that Trap doesn't like his full backs to be particularly attack-minded. Personally, I love attacking full-backs.

You just came on with a bunch of paranoid pre-conceived notions and I was just putting you straight on a few things.

Thanks for that. Thankfully you did not put me straight on anything. Ultimately Moyes bought him as a fullback but unless everton buy a quality right midfielder then coleman will be far more neccesary for everton in midfield than at the back its just a simple fact and has nothing to do with your preconceived notion that he is too raw to be a full back. Keep up the arrogance hero

geysir
08/01/2012, 2:51 PM
Thanks for that. Thankfully you did not put me straight on anything. Ultimately Moyes bought him as a fullback but unless everton buy a quality right midfielder then coleman will be far more neccesary for everton in midfield than at the back its just a simple fact and has nothing to do with your preconceived notion that he is too raw to be a full back. Keep up the arrogance hero
Eh, Liamoo, Stutts' comments about Moyes regarding Coleman as too raw to play at RB are spot on.
June 23 2011
Moyes said: “We have still got to see whether he can cope as a full-back in the Premier League, what we can say is that he can play as a winger if we need him.
“There will be a little bit of a change over next season as we will look to move him a bit further back and maybe he can develop into a right back"

Moyes-Colemans future at right back (http://www.nsno.co.uk/everton-news/2011/06/moyes-colemans-future-at-right-back/#ixzz1islcqaJw)

SkStu
08/01/2012, 3:02 PM
untwist those knickers liamoo!! Nothing wrong with the tone or content of stuttgarts comments.

Charlie Darwin
08/01/2012, 3:09 PM
Moyes' comments about Coleman always seem to be putting him down. I would bet anything it's a motivational tactic, that Coleman is the type of player who responds to public criticism.

geysir
08/01/2012, 3:26 PM
Perhaps Moyes wants to motivate him into being competent at RB :)

Was that his first stint at RB this season, against the non-league team?

the bear
08/01/2012, 4:32 PM
from our point of view i'd like to see him get some game time at full back, its his best opportunity of getting into the irish team

irishfan86
08/01/2012, 8:23 PM
Moyes' comments about Coleman always seem to be putting him down. I would bet anything it's a motivational tactic, that Coleman is the type of player who responds to public criticism.

Probably Moyes wanting to keep interest in Coleman to a minimum by playing up his perceived flaws so he can actually keep a decent player for once!

Closed Account
14/02/2012, 1:55 PM
Seamus and Duffers start a behind closed doors reserve game today.
http://www.bluekipper.com/news/players_news/4035-seamus_is_back.html

theworm2345
14/02/2012, 6:35 PM
Seamus and Duffers start a behind closed doors reserve game today.
http://www.bluekipper.com/news/players_news/4035-seamus_is_back.html
Seamus scored in a 6-3 victory.

Predator
15/02/2012, 7:30 AM
Everton's website has short highlights for anyone interested. Duffy captained the side, Seamus played 55 minutes, probably under orders.

DannyInvincible
13/03/2012, 6:19 PM
Coleman starting in the Liverpool-Everton derby tonight.

Predator
13/03/2012, 6:24 PM
BBC report that Everton will start with two men up front, but I think we may see Coleman on the left again, Pienaar behind Stracqualursi and Anichebe on the right - that is, Moyes' usual 4-4-1-1 formation. Just a wild guess, mind you.

Predator
13/03/2012, 6:51 PM
I was almost right. Swap Seamus and Victor and there you go.

Carrigaline
13/03/2012, 9:09 PM
Seamie looked a little leggy and had a torrid time at Anfield tonight. Was subbed off after 60 minutes. He's only back from injury, so let's just hope he wasn't match fit.

Charlie Darwin
13/03/2012, 9:16 PM
I was confused by how narrowly he was playing. Maybe it's just rustiness - or else a bizarre game plan - but he seemed to spend a lot of time running in between the strikers. It's strange because as a full back his greatest strength is that he offers so much natural width.

drummerboy
14/03/2012, 12:08 AM
Can't be that rusty, he started against Spurs last Saturday. Perhaps tired.

Carrigaline
17/03/2012, 1:20 PM
Coleman started for Everton today in their cup match with Sunderland. Came off with a groin problem. Didn't have a great game, other than getting one lucky break, Bridge had his number.

elroy
17/03/2012, 3:03 PM
Coleman started for Everton today in their cup match with Sunderland. Came off with a groin problem. Didn't have a great game, other than getting one lucky break, Bridge had his number.

Showed both the positive and negative of his game in one move early in the second half. Took a long pass and burst past two defenders into the box but lacked skill and composure to finish, hit a tame effort in the side netting.

He is having a tough second season not helped by injuries but his defensive side of the game and his end product still requires some work.

Stuttgart88
17/03/2012, 4:25 PM
I'd have posted this a while back, but I can't post on this site from work any more (Internet Explorer issues I think): Despite the clamour from some quarters Coleman is not doing enough to nail down a place in the 23 for Polkraine. Injuries haven't helped but he needs to finish the season strongly.

Condex
14/04/2012, 1:32 PM
jeez was he crap when he came on today..
Lucky not be sent off gave away a soft free kick outside penalty area which led to the winning goal.
Not good enough yet to take to Poland..

Stuttgart88
14/04/2012, 1:45 PM
If Trap saw that Seamie'll be asking Wes Hoolahan if he's got room in the campervan. He's making Trap's decision quite easy at the moment.

Drumcondra 69er
14/04/2012, 3:21 PM
Should have been sent off, gave away the foul for the winner and was absolute poison when he came on. Been a very very bad season for the lad, sooner it's over the better for him. Hopefully can rediscover his form next year.

Don't see him making the squad tbh and it'd be the right decision based on form.

IsMiseSean
14/04/2012, 8:47 PM
After today if it's a straight call between Seamie and Kevin Foley then Foley wins hands down. Had a decent game for Wolves today...

Carrigaline
15/04/2012, 2:20 PM
After today if it's a straight call between Seamie and Kevin Foley then Foley wins hands down. Had a decent game for Wolves today...
Coleman isn't being considered as a full back by Trap at the moment.

IsMiseSean
15/04/2012, 5:44 PM
Coleman isn't being considered as a full back by Trap at the moment.

I reckon Trap will bring 3 FBs (Ward, Kelly & O'Shea)
There is also the option to put Coleman or Foley back there if needed. Foley also covers CM and has played RM for Wolves.
McGeady, Duff and Hunt are on the plane, that leave one wide midfield slot. I'd say McClean is ahead of Coleman for that position. I can't see Coleman going to Poland

CraftyToePoke
15/04/2012, 6:16 PM
I reckon Trap will bring 3 FBs (Ward, Kelly & O'Shea)
There is also the option to put Coleman or Foley back there if needed.

I wonder is it worth a mention that SSL can play RB also and has done for Leicester for a number of games this season, during which he won unequivocal praise from the fans for a bit. Frustratingly out of the side there again at present though.

Manblue
22/04/2012, 12:56 PM
Where was Coleman today, haven't seen him listed on bench or in first 11

strangeirish
22/04/2012, 1:36 PM
Think he was left back...in Liverpool...But, he'll be right back...next week.

Predator
22/04/2012, 2:27 PM
Moyes had zero defenders on the bench. Mind games.

tricky_colour
22/04/2012, 5:30 PM
I expect giving away the free-kick which cost them an FA cup final chance played a role in leaving him out.

elroy
22/04/2012, 7:38 PM
I think its safe to say Coleman wont be in Poland this summer.

Charlie Darwin
22/04/2012, 7:39 PM
Cue a 'didn't cut the mustard' gag.

Stuttgart88
22/04/2012, 7:51 PM
Dare I say it, but is Trap's judgment vindicated? And Dunphy's...?

I think it'd be easy to use Coleman's dip in form as vindication of Trap's opinion, and I'm sure he has seen "great debut season, dodgy second season" lots of times over, but in fairness to Coleman, I think he just never got going this season for one reason or another, includin injury. It's probably right that he won't make Poland (I wouldn't pick him) but he's got a big future in green I reckon. Chin up Seamie.

Predator
22/04/2012, 8:14 PM
Can you imagine the feeling of devastation felt by Seamus?

Being dropped altogether from your club team, then being dropped from the national squad. Character building stuff.

Irwin3
20/07/2012, 8:24 PM
Good to see Coleman back in the squad. Hopefully he can stay fit and rediscover his form. MOTM against Dundee United yesterday although his final ball was apparently a let down at times. Here's a link to Everton's 87th minute winner created by our Seamus.

http://yfrog.com/7221ifz