PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Charlie Darwin
25/08/2010, 3:28 AM
They're both good defenders, and it makes sense to balance out an attacking full back like Baines with a more solid defender on the opposite side.

jbyrne
25/08/2010, 8:10 AM
Phil Neville on the other hand has played at the highest level for the last decade; very good player.

agree, far better than his much higher rated brother

SkStu
25/08/2010, 6:31 PM
starts tonight against Huddersfield.

SkStu
25/08/2010, 8:40 PM
It remains Everton 3-1 Huddersfield despite Seamas Coleman being dumped on his backside by Lee Peltier in the Huddersfield box - the Town defender seeing red card as a result - as Johnny Heitinga sees his spot-kick saved by Ian Bennett. Hope for Huddersfield?

anyone watching this? How is he playing?

also:

Seamus Coleman's cross finds Leon Osman, and the onrushing Everton midfielder makes no mistake with his header. So much for any potential Cupsets

Razors left peg
25/08/2010, 10:00 PM
just seen the goals on Sky Sports news. He was taken down for a penalty for Everton which they missed and he set up the last goal with a super cross to the back post. But he was badly at fault defensively for the their goal and he made one other pretty bad mistake that should have led to another goal.
Id be interested to hear how he did over all because he was involved in most of the brief highlights I seen

elroy
25/08/2010, 10:05 PM
In a sense its better for him to make mistakes in these types of games and learn from it. Rather than in a high profile EPL game where he'd have the fans on his back etc. I think Moyes knows what he is at. Coleman isnt 100% ready to be first choice just yet, but will make plenty of first team appearances during the year. All going well by the end of the season he will be a genuine contender for the starting place.

Charlie Darwin
25/08/2010, 10:44 PM
Seamus Coleman (http://www.evertonfc.com/player-profile/seamus-coleman) and Magaye Gueye (http://www.evertonfc.com/player-profile/magaye-gueye) were hailed by Everton assistant boss Steve Round for their part in the emphatic 5-1 victory over the Terriers at Goodison. And David Moyes' number two revealed the Irish Under-21 international has caught the eye so much with his attacking style that he has earned a new nickname.

Round told evertonfc.com: "Seamus Coleman (http://www.evertonfc.com/player-profile/seamus-coleman) going forward was sensational. The lads have nicknamed him Seamus Ramos because he bombs forward so much.

"It was a pleasing night, for sure, to get a good win, to go through in the cup and to see some very good performances from our younger players."

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/08/25/flying-duo-hailed

Philly
26/08/2010, 6:50 AM
I had a trawl through some Everton forums and a lot of people seem to be hoping he starts on Saturday ahead of Neville, which is a compliment. It really is frustrating when this lad isn't even in the squad and McShane seems to be guaranteed a start in his position, but that's not for this thread I guess. Hopefully he will get his chance soon, I'm sure he will take it.

drummerboy
26/08/2010, 7:59 AM
Looking at the 2 very bad mistakes he made last night, he is certainly not ready for international football yet. They were fairly basic mistakes. He did look impressive going forward but I don't think thats what Trap is looking for from his full backs.

irishfan86
26/08/2010, 8:14 AM
The good thing is that he has the talent to be a top-class attacking fullback. You can't teach that. With a little time, I think he can work on eliminating the mistakes and improve the defensive side of his game.

One thing worth keeping in mind is that this was Huddersfield, not top-class opposition; had he made those sorts of mistakes at international level, it could be catastrophic.

That said, when the likes of McShane are playing, it's difficult to argue against Coleman's inclusion. At this point, it seems McShane offers little going forward, while being a liability at the back.

Stephen Kelly is the man I'd look to claim the spot and overtake McShane in the pecking order...it's getting increasingly more frustrating that Trap continues to put McShane on the field ahead of what are probably better options.

Foley is another option but he always strikes me as a little lightweight as a defender -- his best position might be somewhere in the midfield.

Junior
26/08/2010, 9:28 AM
Kelly was on the bench for Fulham at the weekend.

Have to be mindful that all Colemans praise at the moment appears to be down to his 'attacking'. Whilst this is very much part of the modern game for a fullback, its his defending that will be of paramount importance to the current international setup.

Charlie Darwin
27/08/2010, 11:07 PM
Moyes on Seamus' performance:

"I thought Seamus Coleman in the first half was very poor - he gave away the goal and nearly another goal - but his performance in the second half improved.

"He showed what he could do and what he should have been doing. He made sure he made the winger defend rather than him having to defend."
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/08/27/SOCCER_Everton_Nightlead.html

TheBoss
28/08/2010, 12:15 AM
What a poor comment by Moyes, its his fault he is not getting the match sharpness.

rebelmusic
28/08/2010, 2:27 AM
Jasus it's very rare a manager would be that harsh about an individual player to the media, something else went on behind the scenes? A comment like that will make crap of Coleman's confidence!

irishfan86
28/08/2010, 2:44 AM
It's an interesting approach -- Ferguson for example always hypes up the young players at every opportunity.

More than likely an overenthusiastic journalist asked him excitedly about Coleman's phenomenal display, and Moyes was just tempering that hype. Moyes is a very good manager and I respect his opinion on players and performances. It's not as if he slammed Coleman, he just said that he started poorly before putting in a strong second half performance.

I don't think there's anything wrong with telling a young player that he can improve. Moyes talks in that same article about Rodwell pushing for Cahill's place...I think Moyes is the sort of manager who likes to push his players and challenge them rather than put the arm over the shoulder. I don't think many managers would insinuate that a player of Cahill's calibre would have his place under threat.

Charlie Darwin
28/08/2010, 2:59 AM
Maybe Seamus is the type of player who responds to criticism rather than praise.

Sullivinho
28/08/2010, 3:15 AM
Very harsh. But I get the impression Seamus has a thick skin.

Razors left peg
28/08/2010, 3:24 AM
Unusually harsh comments from a manager about a young player but maybe Moyes felt that Coleman needed a kick in the ar$e after falling asleep twice in the first half, and as he said, caused a goal and nearly a 2nd.

Lets be honest here, we all hope Coleman steps up to be the right back we think he can be but if Paul McShane had made those 2 mistakes he would be gettin hammered on here and people would be saying that his manager should drop him.

At the moment Coleman seems to be very like Glen Johnson, excellent going forward but defensively suspect, and call me old fashioned but I want my defenders to be able to defend first and foremost

geysir
28/08/2010, 10:19 AM
Actually Moyes does not need any advice from the like of us on how to manage his players and understanding the dynamics involved. You can assume that he is honest with Coleman and Coleman trusts him.

Razors left peg
28/08/2010, 10:52 AM
Actually Moyes does not need any advice from the like of us on how to manage his players and understanding the dynamics involved. You can assume that he is honest with Coleman and Coleman trusts him.

but Ive played Championship manager and FIFA, I think Id know more than the likes of Moyes

Stuttgart88
29/08/2010, 4:35 PM
I see Coleman has come on as Everton are chasing a 1-0 deficit. On 75 minutes he has made one really good weaving run into the Villa box, with a cut back that didn't find an attacker, but in fairness was right into the danger area.

elroy
29/08/2010, 6:28 PM
I see Coleman has come on as Everton are chasing a 1-0 deficit. On 75 minutes he has made one really good weaving run into the Villa box, with a cut back that didn't find an attacker, but in fairness was right into the danger area.

I think someone compared him to S Hunt in the sense that he is a ball of energy when he comes on and adds a strong degree of enthusiasm. He played well today i thought. Not much defending to do, but make some very good runs and looked lively whenever on the ball. So far he looks a very bright prospect, as long as he keeps improving on his defensive game.

Decent game from Dunne too, good to see him some way back to form after the shambles that was the Newcastle game last week.

Charlie Darwin
29/08/2010, 7:59 PM
He definitely seems to have the skills necessary to make a few appearances on the wing, should Moyes not want to risk him at full-back. He did drop back when Heitinga came on though, so he only spent a few minutes on the wing.

I really hope Dunne didn't pick up a dead leg when he took out Beckford. He was struggling for a long time, although he did manage to finish the game.

ken foree
30/08/2010, 6:21 PM
i was thinking the same thing charlie, that maybe moyes should try him at wide-midfield. but then i thought he might not have the pace - he's clearly got a strongly developed attacking instinct and (more importantly) balance but i wonder also if he sees/times his game better when coming from deeper LB positions? he certainly put the fright up the villa defence on that run into the box. nice player, unlike anything we have at present in the fullback areas.

DannyInvincible
11/09/2010, 1:14 PM
Coleman on for Everton against United for the last 20 minutes of the game. 3-1 down currently.

Commentator says it's his fifth Premiership appearance for Everton.

tetsujin1979
11/09/2010, 1:37 PM
Coleman on for Everton against United for the last 20 minutes of the game. 3-1 down currently.

Commentator says it's his fifth Premiership appearance for Everton.
that's right, 3 last season, 2 this season, all from the bench.
he's only started 3 games for the Toffees, oddly enough all in the Europa League

Predator
11/09/2010, 1:43 PM
Coleman's obviously improving if Moyes is willing to put him on against United. Everton pulled two back after Coleman came on too...

shakermaker1982
11/09/2010, 2:14 PM
He looked bright. Full of energy and always demanding the ball (from Arteta of all people!!). I'd love the Trap to consider giving him a role in the side. If he doesn't trust him at RB he could do a job on the right hand side of midfield if introduced as a sub because of his energy and willingness to attack the opposition.

O'Shea on the other hand had a mare for the goals Everton snatched in injury time. Lost out to Cahill twice and looked lost playing in front of the back 4.

Charlie Darwin
11/09/2010, 2:47 PM
That was Evans, not O'Shea. For the first one at least - I'd have to see the second again, but neither were deep crosses so there's no reason O'Shea would be there.

shakermaker1982
11/09/2010, 2:56 PM
you don't assume Evans is going to make the header and you certainly don't let Cahill run in between you and your fellow centre back. Evans was **** as well for the whole 90 minutes. Man Utd better hope Vidic never gets injured or they are struggling.

The 2nd goal? He got bullied by Cahill. He was marking him and allowed him to knock it down for Arteta.

Predator
11/09/2010, 3:01 PM
He got bullied by Cahill. He was marking him and allowed him to knock it down for Arteta.To be fair, Cahill is great at that. He was beating Vidic to headers and not many can do that.

Charlie Darwin
11/09/2010, 3:06 PM
you don't assume Evans is going to make the header and you certainly don't let Cahill run in between you and your fellow centre back. Evans was **** as well for the whole 90 minutes. Man Utd better hope Vidic never gets injured or they are struggling.

The 2nd goal? He got bullied by Cahill. He was marking him and allowed him to knock it down for Arteta.
But O'Shea wasn't playing centre back. I'll admit it if I'm wrong but from what I remember both crosses were pinged inch perfect between Evans and Vidic.

shakermaker1982
11/09/2010, 3:24 PM
But O'Shea wasn't playing centre back. I'll admit it if I'm wrong but from what I remember both crosses were pinged inch perfect between Evans and Vidic.

Vidic was dragged away for the first cross. Cahill got inbetween Evans and O'Shea. The second one there was a lot of Man Utd bodies in there but O'Shea was the man next to Cahill.

geysir
11/09/2010, 3:33 PM
I didn't see the game but it's obvious that Evans was at fault.

How did Coleman do?

shakermaker1982
11/09/2010, 3:37 PM
I didn't see the game but it's obvious that Evans was at fault.

How did Coleman do?

so you just let a man run in front of you and head the ball into the net because you think your mate might head it away?

geysir
11/09/2010, 3:42 PM
Jaysus, seeing as you missed the sarcasm by a country mile , how can I trust your ability to watch a game? :)

In Coleman's thread I want to find out how Seamus did, anybody see him play?

This will do grand from earlier

'He looked bright. Full of energy and always demanding the ball (from Arteta of all people!!). I'd love the Trap to consider giving him a role in the side. If he doesn't trust him at RB he could do a job on the right hand side of midfield if introduced as a sub because of his energy and willingness to attack the opposition.'

shakermaker1982
11/09/2010, 3:50 PM
Sorry Geysir I thought you were being serious!

Coleman looked bright, full of running and didn't seem to be overawed by the occasion. He always wants the ball and isn't afraid to demand it off more senior players. Plenty of off the ball running as well. Like I mentioned earlier on he's definitely worth a look as a right sided midfielder/winger if the Trap doesn't trust him at RB. A really exciting player and somebody I hope can muscle his way into the Everton first 11.

geysir
11/09/2010, 4:07 PM
Majorly significant that he came on at such a time, glad he did well.

If there is a choice, Trap tends to go for seniority, as in Kelly.
But Trap likes playing 3 CH in the back 4, so I fear that young Seamus is way back in the queue, behind Josh and Kelly.

Charlie Darwin
11/09/2010, 4:51 PM
Vidic was dragged away for the first cross. Cahill got inbetween Evans and O'Shea. The second one there was a lot of Man Utd bodies in there but O'Shea was the man next to Cahill.
Fair enough - I'll have to have a closer look on the highlights tonight. I blame their squad numbers - O'Shea is 22 and Evans is 23. Very inconsiderate.

tetsujin1979
11/09/2010, 4:52 PM
as good a prospect as Coleman is, he still hasn't started a game in the Premiership, so to start him against Russia or Slovakia is crazy talk. I'd have him in the squad, but only to have a look at him in training. If he progresses in the Everton side, then I'd play him against Norway.

Cuyahoga
11/09/2010, 5:27 PM
I have just watched the six o clock news on rte1. In the Sports news Reporter Justin Treacy reporting on the
Everton V Man Utd match he called Seamas Coleman Shane Coleman. This is typical of RTE's sports reporters
if its not Rugby or GAA they havent a clue!

Charlie Darwin
11/09/2010, 5:39 PM
To be fair, BBC have been calling Keith Treacy Simon all day.

Cuyahoga
11/09/2010, 5:48 PM
Yeh, but RTE make these mistakes all the time.

The Fly
11/09/2010, 7:56 PM
It's already a little out of date, but anyway.................http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/everton-fc/2010/09/11/everton-fc-boss-david-moyes-to-give-seamus-coleman-star-role-55578-27245617/

geysir
11/09/2010, 7:57 PM
as good a prospect as Coleman is, he still hasn't started a game in the Premiership, so to start him against Russia or Slovakia is crazy talk. I'd have him in the squad, but only to have a look at him in training. If he progresses in the Everton side, then I'd play him against Norway.

Though here there is not much talk, if any at all, to start him in a competitive international.

pauliek
18/09/2010, 12:42 AM
Though here there is not much talk, if any at all, to start him in a competitive international.
To be fair to Seamie he is the best right back from Ireland

Charlie Darwin
18/09/2010, 12:54 AM
John O'Shea is clearly the best right-back option we have, but Coleman is a good prospect.

geysir
18/09/2010, 1:09 AM
Josh is grand.
We just wish/hope/pray that Coleman would hurry things up, somehow bi-pass the good prospect bit and move onto the senior stage as soon as possible. Push up the ante for the RB spot.

tetsujin1979
18/09/2010, 1:12 AM
that's true, probably over stepped the mark a little.

Charlie Darwin
18/09/2010, 3:07 PM
On at half time for Hibbert as Everton are one down at home to Newcastle.