PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

liamoo11
21/07/2012, 11:14 AM
great to see him startingpre season well. From an ireland view point it is a shame he is not getting a chance at full back for everton but hopefully for him he can be a regular for everton this seasoneven though that is more than likely on the right of midfield.

Irwin3
21/07/2012, 1:31 PM
great to see him startingpre season well. From an ireland view point it is a shame he is not getting a chance at full back for everton but hopefully for him he can be a regular for everton this seasoneven though that is more than likely on the right of midfield.

He did get 45 mins there in Everton's first pre-season game against Morecombe and he is also starting at RB today against Motherwell so we shall see. His problem at getting minutes there is that Everton have Hibbert and Neville who are solid RB's and have hardly any wingers so Coleman is 1st or 2nd choice RM. Everton's 3 best wide players from last season (Drenthe, Pienaar, Donovan) were all on loan and they haven't really signed replacements yet (Naismith? I think prefers to play off the striker?) so Coleman at the moment looks like he will continue mainly at RM.

A Shane Duffy header gives Everton a 1-0 lead. Gibson on bench, Randolph starts for Motherwell.

tricky_colour
24/07/2012, 10:26 PM
Good to see Coleman back in the squad. Hopefully he can stay fit and rediscover his form. MOTM against Dundee United yesterday although his final ball was apparently a let down at times. Here's a link to Everton's 87th minute winner created by our Seamus.

http://yfrog.com/7221ifz

After watching that it makes you wonder why we left him behind!!

I suppose Dundee are hardly Spain though, weather is nowhere near as good for a start.

tetsujin1979
20/08/2012, 8:52 PM
off the bench tonight to face a tiring United defence. Did his job well too, driving forward from deep with the ball. Won the ball against Vidic that should have drawn a booking, but wasn't given.

swinfordfc
20/08/2012, 10:21 PM
He played very well when he came on, going to find it tough to start at Everton at the moment, they play great football tonight, a joy to watch in fairest

Manblue
21/08/2012, 8:02 AM
He played very well when he came on, going to find it tough to start at Everton at the moment, they play great football tonight, a joy to watch in fairest

Yeah did what he had to do well...defo will find it tough. Ps an is a fine footballer, quite underrated and hibbert is a very solid full back

tricky_colour
25/08/2012, 10:05 PM
Put in a good cross for a header goal which was ruled offside.

Irwin3
29/08/2012, 6:59 PM
Set to start at RB vs. Leyton Orient tonight.

Irwin3
30/08/2012, 7:56 AM
I believe he won the MOTM award and got the assist for the 5th goal. Here's what he had to say after the game:

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/ireland/2012/08/30/3340326/evertons-seamus-coleman-relishing-right-back-role

"I enjoyed the game and playing at right back I tried to get forward as much as I could. I set up a few chances in the first half and was just willing them to go in," said the Donegal native.

"I really enjoyed it. Right back is the position I grew up playing at. Hopefully I've shown that I can do a job there and if not, I'm quite happy to play right midfield," he added.

He said: "When I'm not playing and I am watching games, I watch Leighton Baines and I feel I've learned a lot.

"For me he is the best left back in England. If I can do half as good a job at right back I will be happy," concluded Coleman.

With Hibbert injured and Neville coming off last night as a precaution, we might see if Seamus can do a job starting at RB in the PL on saturday vs. West Brom. Well, we can hope.

elroy
30/08/2012, 11:24 AM
Big season for Seamus. Needs to have a solid year with plenty of appearances, doesnt need to anything spectular. He had an incredible first year so his second year was always going to be difficult and injury didnt help. He needs to work on his defensive game but the lad comes across as a hard worker and very mature so you can only have strong hopes.

Charlie Darwin
30/08/2012, 6:00 PM
From what I remember, Moyes planned to try him out at right back last season, but being injured and suspended for the start of season and the pre-season games scuppered that.

tetsujin1979
22/09/2012, 11:41 AM
Coleman playing centre mid today according to the lineup on skysports.com, although it's more likely he's on the right and Osman is in the middle

Irwin3
22/09/2012, 4:49 PM
Another 90 mins at RB. Solid enough display although Swansea were fairly poor. In saying that Everton continue their fine form and dominance over their Welsh counterparts.

Coleman will hopefully get a bit of a run at RB with Leeds and Southampton to come next for Everton.

tricky_colour
22/09/2012, 6:31 PM
also listed in midfield of sky sport, he got a medium rating "Not as involved as Baines, but impressive nonetheless"

CraftyToePoke
22/09/2012, 6:49 PM
Heard a post match with Moyes where he picked out Colemans performance as being pleasing today.

Charlie Darwin
23/09/2012, 1:39 AM
I have often been critical of Coleman but I have to say he is beginning to look the real deal at right back. I don't think he'll make the team for Germany but I think Trap finally trusts him and he'll be our right-back by the end of the campaign.

Olé Olé
23/09/2012, 5:56 PM
He is. He's looking assured. Coleman's always had the attacking premise. He's very tidy on the overlap and so on. Gaining trust from Moyes and Trap has been the issue and now that he's back in form and looking solid at right back he's really repaying Moyes. Trap would want to realise Seamie is the new Steve Finnan!

tricky_colour
23/09/2012, 7:59 PM
Heard a post match with Moyes where he picked out Colemans performance as being pleasing today.

Yes I think I heard that, not too sure where, radio 5 live perhaps.

Might have been this, at about 1.35

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19615118

"and that's what i want us to do, I want players who have been out of the team who can come in and do well, Seamus Coleman came in at right back, Johnny Heitinga started today and we got a good clean sheet"

He certainly sounds positive about Coleman albeit in a slightly indirect way.

Stuttgart88
23/09/2012, 8:21 PM
Everton look a very impressive unit right now. The new Belgian forward (Mirallas?) has yet to score I think but it's only a matter of time. He is very direct and will do well. Good team, good manager - they deserve to do well. Liverpool talk the "moneyball" talk, Everton do the walk.

The Fly
23/09/2012, 9:19 PM
Everton look a very impressive unit right now. The new Belgian forward (Mirallas?) has yet to score I think but it's only a matter of time. He is very direct and will do well.

He scored yesterday.

Charlie Darwin
23/09/2012, 10:29 PM
That was a mighty short matter of time. Well played, Stutts.

tetsujin1979
23/09/2012, 10:45 PM
Everton look a very impressive unit right now. The new Belgian forward (Mirallas?) has yet to score I think but it's only a matter of time. He is very direct and will do well. Good team, good manager - they deserve to do well. Liverpool talk the "moneyball" talk, Everton do the walk. ditto Newcastle

liamoo11
23/09/2012, 11:08 PM
I have often been critical of Coleman but I have to say he is beginning to look the real deal at right back. I don't think he'll make the team for Germany but I think Trap finally trusts him and he'll be our right-back by the end of the campaign.

Ive always argued for Coleman been a right back as he was at sligo and blackpool and was signed by everton as such. I really hope he pins down right back at everton cause good god we need him there for ireland with o shea centre half. Unfortunately I think if gibson had been fit yesterday to anchor midfield neville would have been shifted to right full to fill in for hibbert. I think Coleman may only be 3rd choice right full unfortunately at everton if everyone is fit. This season everton have more wide options with naismith and mirelles and gueye maturing as well as peinar and osman so tough for him to get wide midfield role. ill be super full back for us

SkStu
23/09/2012, 11:14 PM
ill be super full back for us

Pretty big on yourself, arentcha?

Charlie Darwin
24/09/2012, 12:47 AM
Pretty big on yourself, arentcha?
Call him up Trap!

jbyrne
24/09/2012, 8:25 AM
Given O'Shea will probably have to move to ctre half in dunnes expected absence coleman will just have to start against Germany. Wilson seemed to play well sat also from the highlights i saw. Surely its now a no brainer that these two EPL players are both better options at full back than ward?

Charlie Darwin
24/09/2012, 9:43 AM
O'Dea and St Ledger will be playing centre half if fit. Coleman is not a better option at left back than Ward.

Bungle
24/09/2012, 9:59 AM
Everton look a very impressive unit right now. The new Belgian forward (Mirallas?) has yet to score I think but it's only a matter of time. He is very direct and will do well. Good team, good manager - they deserve to do well. Liverpool talk the "moneyball" talk, Everton do the walk.

Have to say Moyes is an absolutely class manager. Delighted for Everton, proper football club and it's great that there are 3 Irish lads in and around their first team.

Feel very sorry for Liverpool. They got a raw deal yesterday. If they keep losing players to long term injury, maybe it might push Ryan McLoughlin in to contention at some point, so every cloud...:o Obviously, we have to hope he declares for the Republic first though!!

Crosby87
24/09/2012, 11:34 AM
'Twas his Grandfathers dying wish.

Murfinator
24/09/2012, 1:39 PM
Given O'Shea will probably have to move to ctre half in dunnes expected absence coleman will just have to start against Germany. Wilson seemed to play well sat also from the highlights i saw. Surely its now a no brainer that these two EPL players are both better options at full back than ward?

Coleman at LB? He can barely play RB.

jbyrne
24/09/2012, 3:19 PM
Coleman at LB? He can barely play RB.

ok, what i meant was that we have better options in the back 4 with coleman and wilson. having coleman at right back would free O'Shea for LB for example where he played for years with utd.
he was good at RB for everton saturday from what i saw.

the bear
24/09/2012, 10:50 PM
I think a full back should be able to play on either side comfortably enough. There is no excuse for a professional footballer not being able to kick off both feet

paul_oshea
25/09/2012, 9:24 AM
Coleman hardly had an orthodox path to professional football.

the bear
25/09/2012, 2:40 PM
What difference does that make?

Junior
25/09/2012, 3:16 PM
I think a full back should be able to play on either side comfortably enough. There is no excuse for a professional footballer not being able to kick off both feet

I agree with you but its all theoretical. The reality is that the ability to use both feet equally would appear to be the exception rather than the rule. Its surprising and a little bizarre considering all the time these guys have to work on their game but when you look at the likes of Ryan Giggs for example - Medals & Trophies coming out of his ears, Player of the Year awards etc.etc... but ask him to deliver using his right foot and he struggles. (cue someone digging up a youtube clip of Giggs scoring a screamer with his right peg :D)

Anyway, hopefully you get my point, if we stick a RB or predominantly right side player in at LB we are asking for trouble.

John83
25/09/2012, 3:40 PM
(cue someone digging up a youtube clip of Giggs scoring a screamer with his right peg :D)
:p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAouJwTYlU&t=1m40s

the bear
25/09/2012, 3:49 PM
I agree with you but its all theoretical. The reality is that the ability to use both feet equally would appear to be the exception rather than the rule. Its surprising and a little bizarre considering all the time these guys have to work on their game but when you look at the likes of Ryan Giggs for example - Medals & Trophies coming out of his ears, Player of the Year awards etc.etc... but ask him to deliver using his right foot and he struggles. (cue someone digging up a youtube clip of Giggs scoring a screamer with his right peg :D)

Anyway, hopefully you get my point, if we stick a RB or predominantly right side player in at LB we are asking for trouble.

My point is that if you are a capable RB, with good positioning sense, tackling & footballing ability. All of those skills are easily transferrable to LB regardless of if your left foot is a strong as your right. As a LB you can still use your favoured right foot the majority of the time. But when called upon to use your left (which could also happen at RB) any pro footballer should be comfortable enough to do so.

Regarding your last line there about sticking a right sided player in at LB we are asking for trouble. Denis Irwin.

Junior
25/09/2012, 4:13 PM
My point is that if you are a capable RB, with good positioning sense, tackling & footballing ability. All of those skills are easily transferrable to LB regardless of if your left foot is a strong as your right. As a LB you can still use your favoured right foot the majority of the time. But when called upon to use your left (which could also happen at RB) any pro footballer should be comfortable enough to do so.

Regarding your last line there about sticking a right sided player in at LB we are asking for trouble. Denis Irwin.

Oh great, I didnt realise we had a Denis Irwin equivalent knocking around - In that case, point him out and I'd have no reservations about sticking him in at LB ;) As I said in my earlier post, I agree with what you are saying in principal however the first choice options we have at LB or RB at the moment are either playing out of position (JOSH) currently not looking to be up to the task (Ward) or without experience (Coleman, Wilson, Clark etc...) or a mixture of all those. Stephen Kelly played LB last time out and imo didnt look comfortable at all.

I guess what you are saying is pick our best two full backs - and then just slot one it a LB and one it at RB - Might not be a bad idea in all honesty!!

Junior
25/09/2012, 4:19 PM
:p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAouJwTYlU&t=1m40s

8 on his Left and 3 on his Right - That is actually a better right footed ratio than I expected for sure!!

the bear
25/09/2012, 4:27 PM
I guess what you are saying is pick our best two full backs - and then just slot one it a LB and one it at RB - Might not be a bad idea in all honesty!!

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think Kelly looks comfortable at international level at all. On current form our best 2 FB's would be Coleman & Wilson. I would suggest that no experience is better than experience of being muck.

Point taken on Denis Irwin, he was one of the best FB's I will ever see play. The logic remains the same though (Finnan, O'Shea, Wilson)

Charlie Darwin
25/09/2012, 6:31 PM
Playing right back again tonight against Leeds. Hopefully he can seize his chance.

gustavo
26/09/2012, 11:24 AM
Coleman hardly had an orthodox path to professional football.
He's been playing professional football for the last 5 years

paul_oshea
26/09/2012, 12:29 PM
Sligo may be "professional" in Irish terms but he has only being professional about 3.7 years. He himself and moyes admitted as much.

Predator
26/09/2012, 12:40 PM
Played at right back yesterday evening. Everton's midfield left the defence exposed, so they had a tough time of it, but Coleman won't be happy to have given away the free kick for the second goal. But on the bright side, at least that will have increased his chances of playing at right back for Ireland, if Ward's inclusion is anything to go by.

CraftyToePoke
27/09/2012, 2:18 AM
I thought the free kick was poor from him, he went after a ball when he shouldn't have been so hasty and got spun, then he very nearly gave away a pen in trying to recover it, it was right on the line. I thought in another attack he chose to go with a runner inside the area rather than close down the ball and it opened up a clear sight of goal for the ball carrier from which he worked the keeper. I hope he can keep his place for Saturday Vs Southampton after it.

Charlie Darwin
27/09/2012, 2:21 AM
I'd imagine he will keep his place. Moyes could easily have reshuffled when he brought Jelavic on, pushing Neville back and putting Anichebe into midfield, but he chose to make a like-for-like swap.

tricky_colour
29/09/2012, 2:57 AM
What difference does that make?

We prefer Catholic Christians to the Orthodox type!! :p

Charlie Darwin
29/09/2012, 1:53 PM
Continues at right back today against Southampton.

Charlie Darwin
29/09/2012, 2:38 PM
Fantastic run and cross to set up Jelavic to make it 3-1.

Charlie Darwin
29/09/2012, 3:34 PM
The Sky commentator says Seamus Coleman has looked excellent for somebody playing out of position who would much rather be playing further forward.