PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

paul_oshea
09/03/2011, 9:45 PM
I don't bring it to class...I've thought about it but teachers do know that most students who are on laptops in class aren't paying attention. Considering I'd be staring at the screen and not typing the teacher would know whats up and probably wouldn't be too happy. If there was a match I badly wanted to see I'd just skip class or record the stream and/or download it later. If I was in a class big enough (meaning more than 50 students) I would probably do it, but only if there were outlets available as streaming can eat up the battery. That being said I have had afternoon classes in computer labs where I always sit in the back and just watch footy (thats how I watched the second half of the Slovakia match). I do find other ways of distracting myself though, especially in the terrible class that I had to go to during this match...for example recently I attempted to name every team in the EPL, Football League, and the Conference (only missed 7 teams total though I had an hour and a half). Another good one is to try to write out as many (current) Irish players as possible and then make as many teams as possible...I think a few years ago I made A, B, C, D, and E teams.

I have a solution for all this, do as I did. Just don't go. Find a good friend to get notes and then a couple of days before your exams do as much as you can.

Make sure you get your continual assessment in obviously.

Stuttgart88
09/03/2011, 9:52 PM
Yes, but worm is at a formative stage in his life and can still be reasonably be expected to put whole sentences together that actually make sense if he sticks with it. There's a lesson there.

theworm2345
09/03/2011, 10:03 PM
I have a solution for all this, do as I did. Just don't go. Find a good friend to get notes and then a couple of days before your exams do as much as you can.

Make sure you get your continual assessment in obviously.
Theres a problem there...most of the classes here are small (like 20-40) and so most of the time class attendance is mandatory (10% of the grade is what its usually worth). Also, I hate doing the thick academic reading that comes with most classes so I usually skim that and I do most of my learning in class, at least when I do pay attention. Also, theres usually matches on Monday-Friday at least after November so if I didn't go every time there was a match I wanted to watch I'd never be able to go to aftenoon classes.

geysir
09/03/2011, 10:27 PM
10% for just turning up?
That's handy, but I suppose they raised the pass grade by 10%:)

theworm2345
09/03/2011, 10:37 PM
10% for just turning up?
That's handy, but I suppose they raised the pass grade by 10%:)
10% for attendance and participation, so you're expected to contribute to discussion and answer questions as well.

EastTerracer
19/03/2011, 5:12 PM
Seamie scores for Everton - a very neat header to take the lead against Fulham.

paul_oshea
19/03/2011, 5:15 PM
Yes, but worm is at a formative stage in his life and can still be reasonably be expected to put whole sentences together that actually make sense if he sticks with it. There's a lesson there.

lucky i didn't study toilet paper - please take one - i mean arts then!

or were you being ironic?"Can still be reasonably be"...:-)) was the lesson a self taught and learned one?

IsMiseSean
19/03/2011, 6:21 PM
Seamie scores for Everton - a very neat header to take the lead against Fulham.

Damn it, I dropped him from my fantasy team...

tetsujin1979
19/03/2011, 7:33 PM
Damn it, I dropped him from my fantasy team...
had him on the bench, fortunately Vidic is still suspended, so he'll come in when the gameweek's fixtures are complete

Stuttgart88
19/03/2011, 9:03 PM
Can still be reasonably beHmmm, good spot.

Fixer82
20/03/2011, 9:57 AM
Now that would be quality, with back to goal, a quick side step and turn and face the posts and bang over the bar :D He could always do it if/when he is flagged for offside. so what for a yellow? He will be the first player to ever score a point on a permiership ground.

SQUARE BALL REF!!!
:ball:

geysir
20/03/2011, 2:27 PM
Hmmm, good spot.
Paul pulls one back.

Paul 1 Pedants 3,501

paul_oshea
20/03/2011, 3:43 PM
i like to set myself a realistic challenge.mind you i don't remember anyone quoting an example before

elroy
20/03/2011, 10:13 PM
Video: Deserved praise for Coleman from Moyes:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/video?video=channels/339821/1224538&cc=5739

tricky_colour
21/03/2011, 1:39 AM
Also here talking about the goal.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/video?video=channels/339821/1224538&cc=5739
I thought he took it well, as she mentioned, he had a lot of time, enough time to think too much and make a complete
hash of it, but he kept calm and made it look easy. Impressive.

DannyInvincible
22/03/2011, 3:46 PM
Moyes hails Coleman's progress. (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0322/everton_coleman.html)

'The level of where he has come from means he must be close to young player of the year,' said Moyes.

'He's had no real footballing experience at this level, or any level at all, very little full-time training and very little technical work so we hope there is going to be more improvement,' the Everton boss added, perhaps being over critical of Sligo.

'He's a right-back playing one on and he might be better one on; we don't know yet.

'One of his biggest strengths is his lack of inhibitions carrying the ball. You won't get him to be the best passer and keeper of the ball, but he's given us something else and coming from deep will help him improve as a defender in years to come.'

Coleman, a goalscorer in the Toffees' victory over Fulham at the weekend, is likely to play for the Republic of Ireland in Saturday's Euro 2012 qualifier against Macedonia at the Aviva Stadium.

Moyes admits they are fortunate to have benefited from Coleman's swift progress.

'He was sixty grand and he's done a brilliant job for us,' he told the Liverpool Echo.

'He's been up and down but he's going to be up and down - you don't find an absolute diamond for that money.

'It's very rare that happens so there will be times when he doesn't look completely comfortable.'

Scooby Doo
22/03/2011, 3:52 PM
Read the article - arguably a bit of an unflattering assessment of Sligo from Moyes.

paul_oshea
22/03/2011, 4:25 PM
More than that at times its quite unflattering to Coleman. Instead of being so brutally honest he could have just used the great term "raw".

Perhaps its a way of motivating him but its perverse in the sense that he doesn't feel like he has found a diamond in the rough, and not even a rough diamond (who needs polishing before geysir doesn't cop on and says im not making any sense as usual) but a silver bullet. If a guy isn't technically gifted no matter how much he practices he isn't going to be technically gifted - reading Moyes assessment he is saying he isn't the most technically gifted but he has done a good job because of that fact, and where he has come from.

DannyInvincible
22/03/2011, 4:51 PM
Perhaps it's better for a manager to be honest with his players. For example, it would appear that Alex Ferguson has Darron Gibson under the belief that he can be United's next midfield maestro. Arguably, this isn't of any benefit to Gibson in the long-run at all, as the likelihood of him becoming anything more than a squad player at United is slim. And so, content as he is to sit on the bench and provide Ferguson with an eternal back-up option, his development stagnates whilst he could be elsewhere in the Premier League playing regularly, albeit at a level not as glamorous as United.

gustavo
23/03/2011, 10:44 AM
Read the article - arguably a bit of an unflattering assessment of Sligo from Moyes.

Definitely insulting to us and the League of Ireland

pineapple stu
23/03/2011, 11:16 AM
Interesting that the article editor saw fit to challenge it. Very rare you'd see anything other than a copy and paste job with regards football on RTÉ.

cornflakes
23/03/2011, 11:29 AM
Seems Moyes is trying to take all the credit for Coleman.

ifk101
23/03/2011, 11:37 AM
A dig at Don Givens and the U21s as well. tut tut

passinginterest
23/03/2011, 11:39 AM

I'm not sure it's all that offensive. Coleman was picked up at an extremely late age, he was primarily a GAA player until he was about 18. Moyes is comparing him to the usual professional in England, most of whom have been involved with professional clubs and training from the age of about 12 at the very latest. In comparison to players like that Coleman's experience of professional football is negligible. That's not an insult to Sligo or to the League of Ireland in my view.

DeLorean
23/03/2011, 11:46 AM

Yeah, it's almost as if he doesn't realise what a high level Sligo are playing at. I mean surely playing against Sporting Fingal and Bray Wanderers is enough to prepare any player for Ashley Cole, Patrice Evra, etc.

Thought the comments about Coleman himself were worse really, almost making out that he's only a success relative to the money they parted for him. I wouldn't agree with this assessment at all. If he was signed from another PL team for £10m I'd still consider him a success, given the consistency of his performances.

osarusan
23/03/2011, 11:47 AM
Yeah, it's almost as if he doesn't realise what a high level Sligo are playing at. I mean surely playing against Sporting Fingal and Bray Wanderers is enough to prepare any player for Ashley Cole, Patrice Evra, etc.

Where did any LOI fan say that about the level of the LOI?

DeLorean
23/03/2011, 11:53 AM
Where did any LOI fan say that about the level of the LOI?

Thought it was pretty obvious I was responding to what I quoted. Sorry if the unnecessary sarcasm confused you.

DeLorean
23/03/2011, 12:04 PM
Where did my ignorance lay exactly? I've no problem with the standard of the LOI. It's obviously far inferior to the EPL, almost non-comparable in my opinion, and I think that's all Moyes was pointing out.

Drumcondra 69er
23/03/2011, 12:20 PM

I disagree entirely, Coleman only played 50 odd games for Sligo as far as I know, it's not as if he'd been playing LOI for years.

And I'd be a regular at Dalymount and a big LOI fan but I see very little wrong with his comments, Coleman was very raw when he got picked up and a lot of LOI fans would have said the same when Everton came in for him.

cclinton
23/03/2011, 12:33 PM
If a guy isn't technically gifted no matter how much he practices he isn't going to be technically gifted - reading Moyes assessment he isn't saying he isn't the most technically gifted but he has done a good job because of that fact, and where he has come from.

Wheres did Moyes say technically gifted? ....assuming time is invested, Coleman will improve technically ... not sure where "gifted" comes into it.

paul_oshea
23/03/2011, 12:34 PM
He didn't use the word gifted, he said technically good, by that I mean to take he isn't one with natural ability but one who can improve because he is able to work hard and he has learnt so much so quickly but he "is not the best passer or keeper" of the ball, what does that sound like to you?

Charlie Darwin
23/03/2011, 1:28 PM
I bet he wouldn't be as dismissive of Jermaine Beckford's similarly humble beginnings.

cclinton
23/03/2011, 10:44 PM
He didn't use the word gifted, he said technically good, by that I mean to take he isn't one with natural ability but one who can improve because he is able to work hard and he has learnt so much so quickly but he "is not the best passer or keeper" of the ball, what does that sound like to you?

That sounds to me that if he works hard, he will improve.

- but I'm still not sure what you mean because I've no idea how you can extrapolate to now say he isn't one with natural ability. The bottom line which we agree upon is that there's opportunity for him to improve his technical ability. I'm saying, any potential improvement has no relationship with "gifted" or "natural" ability, (except that either could accelerate his progress, neither are a requirement). Maybe that's what you are alluding to,because he's a latecomer to this level.

SkStu
24/03/2011, 3:46 AM
impressive and all as Coleman has been this season, he quite clearly has a lot of room to improve his game. His touch, on occasion, is woeful. His support of the man with the ball is poor sometimes too. But overall he is a breath of fresh air and i hope he can carry his form through to next season and beyond.

tetsujin1979
24/03/2011, 9:18 AM
impressive and all as Coleman has been this season, he quite clearly has a lot of room to improve his game. His touch, on occasion, is woeful. His support of the man with the ball is poor sometimes too. But overall he is a breath of fresh air and i hope he can carry his form through to next season and beyond.
First time I saw him play live was with the U21s VS Armenia about a year ago, but I didn't realise it was him until the end of the game. At one point, he went to trap a pass with his right foot under no pressure at all, but it rebounded off his left leg and went out for a throw.

paul_oshea
24/03/2011, 9:39 AM
Is that just one example, or are you suggesting he has come on since then? Or are you just backing up skstus point?

I have seen enough of him but what I have seen of him I have never really noticed a lack of control, quite the opposite which is what I was surprised given his lack of time playing at such a high level.

tetsujin1979
24/03/2011, 9:59 AM
Is that just one example, or are you suggesting he has come on since then? Or are you just backing up skstus point?Backing up his point. Overall I thought he was poor on the night, but you could level the same complaint against any one of the Irish players on the night, bar Conor Clifford

I have seen enough of him but what I have seen of him I have never really noticed a lack of control, quite the opposite which is what I was surprised given his lack of time playing at such a high level.Same as myself, from what I have seen of him playing for Everton, and to a lesser extent on loan at Blackpool, his control is quite good.

Stuttgart88
24/03/2011, 11:44 AM
My neighbour follows Everton and when I asked him about Coleman his first remark was that he's got a great touch!

geysir
24/03/2011, 12:45 PM
The transfer fee was a steal and the glee around that, irritated me.
The player was 20 years old when he was signed. He had enough ability to garner attention from english clubs or/and the wherewithal to learn the rest.
The transfer contract could easily have been topped up with add ons of €500k -1m, depending on appearances.

elroy
24/03/2011, 4:28 PM
Pulled out of the squad due to ankle injury. Pity useful option from the bench gone.

SkStu
24/03/2011, 4:41 PM
My neighbour follows Everton and when I asked him about Coleman his first remark was that he's got a great touch!

Not sure if you mean that your neighbour lives in Liverpool and actually attends most of their games but i have seen a lot of Evertons games on tv/internet as i follow them myself. Check out even just last weeks game at Fulham which backs up both points i was making.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying it is a crippling deficiency and happens everytime he gets a pass. Its just, ocassionally, the "rawness" shows through.

Stuttgart88
25/03/2011, 7:50 AM
Read the article - arguably a bit of an unflattering assessment of Sligo from Moyes.Arguably a bit of an unflattering assessment of Sligo from Coleman :)

"It’s not just that, (it’s) the everyday training sessions with top-quality players. If you’re not going to get better, you’re not going to stay training with them so you’ve got to get better every day in training. That’s what has helped really, just training with those players every day."

Today's Examiner (http://www.examiner.ie/sport/soccer/patience-a-virtue-for-coleman-149308.html#ixzz1HbCiERd0)

It's just to be expected: train more, train harder and with better players and you'll get better. Credit to the LOI for getting these players to where they were but let's not get all chippy and say that acknowledging improvement is a slur on the LOI.

DeLorean
25/03/2011, 9:11 AM
let's not get all chippy and say that acknowledging improvement is a slur on the LOI.

Exactly. In fairness, even when Saurez joined Liverpool and Dzeko joined Man City, the main question was whether or not they'd be able to make the step up to a higher level. I'm sure Moyes had question marks himself over the likes of Fellaini and Bilyaletdinov from so called lesser leagues and Cahill and Beckford from lower divisions. Of course he's going to see the LOI as a nothing level in comparison. He could probably have been a little bit more diplomatic in his wording, but his main point was correct I think.

osarusan
25/03/2011, 10:49 AM
Don't know if it's been mentioned already, but Irish Times reporting that coleman is out of the squad.

However, while Duff was able to join in with his team-mates at Malahide this morning, defenders Sean St Ledger and Seamus Coleman were missing once again with knee and ankle injuries respectively. Following further assessment, Coleman was later withdrawn from the squad, which is now down to 25.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/0324/1224292998334.html

ken foree
25/03/2011, 11:23 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned already, but Irish Times reporting that coleman is out of the squad.

that utterly sucks.

cavan_fan
05/04/2011, 9:43 AM
Seamus is on the shortlist for PFA young player of the year. Assume it will be Bale or Wilshere who wins but good to see him there. No sign of McCarthy, though thats not a surprise.

thischarmingman
05/04/2011, 12:21 PM
Great to see him mentioned in that kind of company.

Paddy Garcia
05/04/2011, 5:18 PM
Seamus is on the shortlist for PFA young player of the year. Assume it will be Bale or Wilshere who wins but good to see him there. No sign of McCarthy, though thats not a surprise.

I think he is up for the Scottish Young Player of the Year Award.

SkStu
05/04/2011, 8:20 PM
Great to see him mentioned in that kind of company.

a welshman and a chav? Whatever floats yer boat TCM...

jbyrne
08/04/2011, 11:59 AM
nominated for PFA young player of the year accross the water. well deserved