PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

shakermaker1982
18/09/2010, 3:12 PM
Come on Coleman!!!

tommy_c12000
18/09/2010, 3:16 PM
Ive a feeling this cud be a turning point in Coleman's career. Good performance and he will ahead Hibbert for next game. Huge opportunity

tommy_c12000
18/09/2010, 3:41 PM
Not watching the game but Coleman appears to be doing ok. From skysports at 74mins,"What a challenge from Seamus Coleman! Wonderful tackle on Kevin Nolan who was about to pull the trigger from close range - could that be a game-changer?!"

Charlie Darwin
18/09/2010, 4:04 PM
haha I guess it shows how two people can have two different perspectives on the same thing

Setanta reporter has just said Newcastle were unlucky not to get a penalty after Coleman "clattered" into Kevin Nolan

geysir
18/09/2010, 4:07 PM
Good players who are also lucky are a rare find.

Closed Account
18/09/2010, 4:08 PM
Merson, on Soccer Saturday, initially said it was an unbelievable tackle. Couldn't understand why Nolan, the tacklee, was going spare. But after watching the replay, Merson summised that it was a stone wall penalty. Nice when you get away with it but coontish to be on the receiving end.

centre mid
18/09/2010, 4:11 PM
I watched the game on line as Nolan pulled his foot back to shoot Seamus slid in front of the ball and Nolan kicked the back of Seamus's leg, dont think it was a penalty just very good timing.

shaneker
18/09/2010, 10:23 PM
It was an absolute stonewall peno, saw several replays on MOTD and he was nowhere near the ball and took out Nolan. Lucky boy.

theworm2345
21/09/2010, 6:52 PM
First Everton goal according to Gillette Soccer Special :cool:

AlaskaFox
21/09/2010, 6:56 PM
What a start from Seamus.

geysir
21/09/2010, 8:56 PM
BBC text says Brentford equalised after a move down the left flank.
Was Seamus involved?

Razors left peg
21/09/2010, 9:22 PM
think he gave away a penalty that was missed

Colbert Report
21/09/2010, 9:24 PM
Too bad he didn't get the chance to take a penalty in the shoot-out. Brentford win 4-3.

TrapAPony
21/09/2010, 9:26 PM
think he gave away a penalty that was missed

Ya, you're right that he gave away the missed penalty.

57:55
Penalty awarded for an unfair challenge on Myles Weston by Seamus Coleman. - BBC

geysir
21/09/2010, 9:49 PM
Even when the penalty is awarded against him, it is missed.
Seamus is indeed blessed with good fortune.

Predator
22/09/2010, 12:18 AM
Even when the penalty is awarded against him, it is missed.
Seamus is indeed blessed with good fortune.He's getting his share of good fortune after the horrendous blister injury he suffered last season.
The loss to Brentford tonight was a bad result for Everton. I wonder will it impact Seamus' chances of cementing a spot in the team? Moyes might be reluctant to play the likes of Seamus and instead might stick with his tried and tested favourites until they drag themselves out of this rut of poor form.

SkStu
22/09/2010, 3:12 AM
Coleman took his goal very well tonight. On the penalty, it should never have been given, looked like a clear dive to me.

Charlie Darwin
22/09/2010, 3:29 AM
It was a dive when he actually went down but it looks like Coleman was tugging him back as he ran into the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCZY0UtmNaM

AlaskaFox
22/09/2010, 2:08 PM
Pity Everton didn't make it through. He would've easily started all the cup games. Might be a bit harder getting into the league side.

Razors left peg
22/09/2010, 4:32 PM
Pity Everton didn't make it through. He would've easily started all the cup games. Might be a bit harder getting into the league side.

I think he has probably gone past the need for the Carling Cup at this stage to make his claim. He was brought on at half time at the weekend and was brought on in the game before against United when Everton were chasing the game.

I actually think David Moyes handling of him has been exemplary.He has been feeding him into the team very slowly since last season.At every stage Seamie has stepped up to the mark and proved himself good enough, including the loan spell. At his current rate of progress he will be first choice very very soon

Stuttgart88
22/09/2010, 8:02 PM
I read the (UK) Independent this morning and they said that Coleman was given a torrid time all night and gave away a penalty. I don't like reading that but please take note those shouting from the rooftops that Trap is ignoring him.

geysir
23/09/2010, 10:22 AM
However the English Telegraph reported,
'Everton were undone when Leon Osman and Bilyaletdinov were over-intricate in exchanging passes on half-way and with the otherwise impressive Coleman caught out-of-position'

'otherwise impressive'
and other players messing about dropped him in the can.

Back to the rooftops.

irishfan86
23/09/2010, 2:28 PM
Coleman is a tremendous talent going forward, but he has (or should have) conceded two penalties in the past two games. Neither of these plays led to penalty goals, but I can't help but think had McShane conceded (or should have) two penalties in consecutive games we'd have multiple pages written up about it.

Not for one minute saying McShane is a superior player, just merely pointing out that some of Coleman's fans tend to have selective memories when talking about him.

I think he's going to be a great player for Ireland, he may just be a little raw at this point.

Preds
23/09/2010, 3:00 PM
If we were to sit here and analyse every mistake an Irish player has made in the past then nobody of the current squad should be worth their place. Coleman is a fine player but how is he going to improve if he is not given a chance He is one of the best natural right backs in the country at the moment.

SwanVsDalton
23/09/2010, 3:22 PM
Still you're talking about a player who is fourth in the pecking order. JOSH is nailed on at the mo and even if he's moved centrally it's only right that Kelly and Foley, two players with more experience internationally and in Prem, are ahead of him. That's not even taking into account Trap's love of McShane...

Charlie Darwin
23/09/2010, 3:24 PM
I wouldn't say it's only right he's so far back in the pecking order. Cunningham has surpassed O'Dea for the left back slot despite having less experience at all levels, and that's not to mention Mark Kennedy who never made himself unavailable. If Trap becomes confident in Coleman's ability to play the system, he'll make the leap.

Sullivinho
23/09/2010, 4:15 PM
Seamus looks to be in the Gareth Bale mould. No bad thing at all, but his attacking prowess overshadows his defensive abilities right now and might suggest a future further up the pitch. Still young and inexperienced, mind.

rebelmusic
24/09/2010, 10:38 AM
When McShane played against Argentina, who were the fit alternatives? And do you think it's poss that he played as a favour from Trap since that was really a glam game?
Kelly should be 2nd choice, end of. When he came on in the italy away game for the last 10 mins he slotted in no hassles and had one great defensive moment if i remember correctly.

Coleman is young and a great prospect for the future. But right back is not so much a worry area

Charlie Darwin
24/09/2010, 9:14 PM
Hibbert's a doubt for tomorrow according to RTE so Seamus could get his first start:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0924/fulham_everton.html

elroy
25/09/2010, 1:38 PM
And indeed he does start, best of luck to the lad.

tommy_c12000
25/09/2010, 1:53 PM
Best of luck to Seamus 2day! Fingers crossed he'll do well!

Charlie Darwin
25/09/2010, 2:01 PM
Wonder if he'll be up against Duffer or Gera. Big step up for him either way.

TheBoss
25/09/2010, 2:20 PM
Looks like he is playing Right Midfield.

Razors left peg
25/09/2010, 2:21 PM
Sky Sports have him at right back with Neville right midfield but I would be surprised if it wasnt the other way around

Charlie Darwin
25/09/2010, 2:32 PM
Yeah, Neville is playing full back.

tetsujin1979
25/09/2010, 4:09 PM
came off on 88 minutes for Bilyaletdinov. Sky Sports text commentary said he had a good game

Charlie Darwin
25/09/2010, 4:13 PM
He had one great cross across the goal that Yakubu should have finished and a couple of shots from outside the box that were blocked. Other than that very cagey game and Fulham defended deep limiting his opportunities.

Predator
25/09/2010, 4:24 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't this the first game Coleman has started on the right side of midfield?

Charlie Darwin
25/09/2010, 5:03 PM
I think so. His first Premier League start outright.

Predator
25/09/2010, 5:29 PM
Great stuff. I know that there were injuries to other players who could have played at right midfield, but it's a good sign that Moyes felt that he was able to fill in. It also shows that Seamus is very versatile. His debut for Everton was at left back (although he had a tough game), he's performed well at right back and he's a competent winger.

rebelmusic
25/09/2010, 5:35 PM
Don't you think Trap will look at him and see him as better option for right mid now? He has the attacking sense trap likes there but also has the defensive sense from being a regular full back.

Colbert Report
25/09/2010, 5:39 PM
I can't see Trap dropping Lawrence, he has far more experience than Coleman.

Long term, I can see him being our first choice right midfielder.

Predator
25/09/2010, 9:01 PM
I don't think Coleman will be considered by Trap for right midfield after one or two emergency appearances there for Everton. Perhaps in the future, if we're struggling on the right side of midfield, but to me, he's a natural full back.

Here's Moyes' take on Coleman at right midfield today:
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/09/25/post-match-reaction

"We have been striving, as everybody knows, to find a solution (down the right). We have had Billy and Ossie [Osman] there, Victor [Anichebe] can play there when he is fit and obviously we had Landon for a spell last year but that is something we're looking to find a solution for. [B]I don't think Seamus will prove to be the ultimate answer but he may be a short-term fix right now and who knows, he may become a player who can play there."

AlaskaFox
26/09/2010, 9:24 AM
It'd be nice to have Coleman on the bench (in the short-term) to have as an option for defence or midfield. I think he needs a lot more experience to be an international starter.

centre mid
26/09/2010, 12:43 PM
He is at his best we overlapping as an attacking full back, thats where he has had his bet games for Everton.

irishfan86
26/09/2010, 10:52 PM
I'm not convinced he's good enough to start, but if we needed a goal I think he'd be a good option off the bench to get things going in a stale or tight match.

Predator
01/10/2010, 3:52 PM
Moyes' Coleman Hopes (http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/10/01/moyes-coleman-hopes)

David Moyes hopes that playing Seamus Coleman (http://www.evertonfc.com/player-profile/seamus-coleman) in midfield will make him a better full-back. Having appeared as a right full-back in Everton's two Carling Cup games this season, Coleman played on the right-hand-side of midfield at Fulham last weekend.
Everton boss Moyes believes experiencing games at the highest level will be of long term benefit to the Irish Under-21 international, while it also provides an additional attacking option now.
"I hope it might help him," said Moyes at his pre-match press conference ahead of the Birmingham game this weekend.
"I am trying to find a team that can get a result. He is very good at attacking, as people will have seen, at full-back. At times his defending hasn't been maybe what we want but that will come with time. He is really young in terms of time in the Premier League.
"A lot of people were shouting that he should start in the team, rightly so because he has done well," continued the manager. "But I think people who have seen him would maybe turn round and say it is the right decision to let him develop.
"If we can find a role for him in the team playing a bit further forward then great because we are short of a right-sider."
Moyes also spoke about the form of Yakubu, who returned to the team recently and turned in an encouraging performance at Craven Cottage.
"It's not a goal I need from him, it's 12 or 15 but he has got to start with one and get more," explained Moyes.
"He has had two-and-a-half games so he is getting his chances at the moment and he has to start delivering."

elroy
01/10/2010, 3:59 PM
A great manager for Coleman to have at this stage of his career.

paul_oshea
01/10/2010, 4:47 PM
This is what I got from a work colleague who is a season ticket holder, i asked him whats the general opinion of him at everton:

" excellent
replacement for hibbert
future star for us i think
did well for Blackpool"

Charlie Darwin
01/10/2010, 5:06 PM
Drafted into the senior squad according to MNS.