PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Stuttgart88
16/11/2010, 8:02 AM
Coleman is an out and out wide player. Totally different skillset to playing in the middle.

Crosby87
16/11/2010, 10:48 PM
How do you know he doesn't potentially have those skills though Stutts? He is only 22 right?

Stuttgart88
17/11/2010, 11:09 AM
Because I can tell the difference between a guy who does his best work out wide and a guy who does his best work in the middle. They're very different skills. He alluded to it himself in his Irish Times interview yesterday, citing Arteta's passing and ability to find space that isn't there. Coleman's best attributes appear to be using his pace out wide and putting in telling square balls.

paul_oshea
17/11/2010, 11:19 AM
You are making that assumption based know what you have seen of him so far.he seems quite direct alright a little like kilbane years ago but with a better first touch and general ball control.that's not to say that he might not have the attributes to be a midfielder.we just haventt seen it.interestingly midfielded was where he played mostly in gaelic I've been told.i know its a completely different game before anyone says anything but the position has similarities.

Crosby87
17/11/2010, 11:39 AM
Because I can tell the difference between a guy who does his best work out wide and a guy who does his best work in the middle. They're very different skills. He alluded to it himself in his Irish Times interview yesterday, citing Arteta's passing and ability to find space that isn't there. Coleman's best attributes appear to be using his pace out wide and putting in telling square balls.

Stutts do you work in football professionally? Im not trying to be a jerk, just asking. You seem very confident. It's neat if you do.

paul_oshea
17/11/2010, 11:41 AM
Stutts is far too smart tko work in football

Stuttgart88
17/11/2010, 1:08 PM
You are making that assumption based know what you have seen of him so far.he seems quite direct alright a little like kilbane years ago but with a better first touch and general ball control.that's not to say that he might not have the attributes to be a midfielder.we just haventt seen it.interestingly midfielded was where he played mostly in gaelic I've been told.i know its a completely different game before anyone says anything but the position has similarities.True, but I like to simplify players' roles and think there is sufficient descriptive capacity in terms like "ball winner", "ball user" and "ball carrier" to categorise players. There are subtle differences. Take wide players: there's a big difference between a wide midfielder (think Lawrence for us, Pires at Arsenal - both "ball users") and a winger (think Duff - "ball carrier"). Lawrence & Pires-like players could arguably move inside, but Duff couldn't. I'll concede that Coleman maybe has just a bit of Lawrence in him, but he's got far more of Dave Langan in him - he looks born to be on the touchline. Coleman looks to me to be a "ball carrier" rather than a "ball user". He looks to do his best work wide, and at speed.

geysir
17/11/2010, 1:18 PM
Lawrence reminds me of a poor mans Diego Forlan, still an achievement nevertheless

Charlie Darwin
17/11/2010, 1:22 PM
I have wondered why Trap has never (to the best of my knowledge) tried Lawrence in the centre. He definitely has the physical attributes and has superior technical skills to Whelan/Andrews/Green plus he's proven he'll run all day. Of course he might not have the positional sense but it wouldn't hurt to try.

tetsujin1979
17/11/2010, 2:18 PM
I have wondered why Trap has never (to the best of my knowledge) tried Lawrence in the centre. He definitely has the physical attributes and has superior technical skills to Whelan/Andrews/Green plus he's proven he'll run all day. Of course he might not have the positional sense but it wouldn't hurt to try.
Has he played there for his club?

youngirish
17/11/2010, 3:26 PM
Has he played there for his club?

He has played central during his club career. Perhaps not for a while now but Sunderland used to often employ him centrally under McCarthy.

an_ceannaire
18/11/2010, 8:28 AM
Was at the game and EVERYONE was booing at the final whistle and everyone was roariong to bring on Seamy
he only refuses so as not to "bow to media pressure"
Trap can just f**k off at thsi stage
old goat

Junior
18/11/2010, 8:32 AM
Just lock it MODs - Lock it now.....

Duggie
18/11/2010, 8:36 AM
disappointing we didnt get to see him but hes only starting out so its not a sacking offence. his time will come hopefully soon. i would have like to see him get the full 90 minutes but trap calls the shots right now. was impressed with cunningham, linked up well going forward.

KK77
18/11/2010, 9:13 AM
Beggers belief he didn't play last night and even more Trap going on about the system and the players being experienced playing it. Good night Trap if you think we can afford to leave a player like Coleman out of the team.

LFCSixty/Eighty
18/11/2010, 9:19 AM
I was at the game and the person most people wanted to see get game time was Coleman but unfortunately Trap makes most of his decisions to spite with the press/fans demand. The only reason he didn't play Coleman last night was to stamp his authority yet again and say 'I am the boss, no-one tells me who to play'. He is more concerned about his ego than the good of the team. He's done it many times before and he'll do it many times again so I can't believe I was surprised by his latest act of defiance to everyone.

youngirish
18/11/2010, 9:23 AM
It's obvious Trapatoni isn't paying attention to what the players are doing at club level. You could see this even in the early days when half the people on here were clamouring for St Ledger and Lawrence to be given a chance for what seemed like an eternity before Trap finally decided to give them a game. Wo and behold once he played them they almost immediately became mainstays in the team.

Not playing Coleman last night who looks to be potentially an infinitely better player than Foley, Kelly, Hunt and McGeady is another very bad decision on his part.

His tenure is really starting to grate. We need to get the younger players in and give them a chance because some of the players we have are very substandard and shouldn't be anywhere near the international team (Whelan, Kilbane and Green all spring to mind).

tetsujin1979
18/11/2010, 9:30 AM
Was at the game and EVERYONE was booing at the final whistle and everyone was roariong to bring on Seamy
old goatSo was I and no they weren't.
In fact the guy standing behind me was wondering why people were booing. and I agreed with him

Kingdom
18/11/2010, 9:33 AM
There was the beginnings of a hum from where we standing and immediately our lot started singing. People need to check their heads a bit if they start booing the manager because of not giving a fella game time in a friendly.

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 9:40 AM
True, but I like to simplify players' roles and think there is sufficient descriptive capacity in terms like "ball winner", "ball user" and "ball carrier" to categorise players. There are subtle differences. Take wide players: there's a big difference between a wide midfielder (think Lawrence for us, Pires at Arsenal - both "ball users") and a winger (think Duff - "ball carrier"). Lawrence & Pires-like players could arguably move inside, but Duff couldn't. I'll concede that Coleman maybe has just a bit of Lawrence in him, but he's got far more of Dave Langan in him - he looks born to be on the touchline. Coleman looks to me to be a "ball carrier" rather than a "ball user". He looks to do his best work wide, and at speed.

Of the first 3, which does Paul green fit into? Ball winner, ball user, ball carrier or is there a fourth, ball loser?

Junior
18/11/2010, 9:48 AM
Listened to it on the radio in the car. The post match commentary said there were a 'few' boos - fairly minor.

I would have liked Coleman to get a shot but right side is not a priority for change for this team.

As we all know,

LB is a priority - Cunningham got 90mins
CM is also a priority - Fahey got 90 mins (and we know we have Green, Gibson, Andrews to come back) Wilson, McCarthy, Meyler may get a chance in Feb.
Striker is also a priority in terms of having a 3rd choice - Long, Walters both got a shot.

RB we have cover - O'Shea as we know can play there, Kelly would appear to be next in line, Foley got 20 minutes (Perhaps Foley got the nod ahead of Coleman because he has been around the squad longer, more premiership appearances and experience, has featured before).
RM we have cover - Lawrence/McGeady have it to fight over. We know that the Left and Right are interchangable as well so include Duff, Hunt, Fahey (I wont upset anyone by including Keogh!!)

So its no big issue. Coleman and Wilson will hopefully get a chance in February against Wales, though that could depend on how things are looking ahead of the game against Macedonia in March - again Id imagine Trap will want as close to a starting line up for that game as he can get.

youngirish
18/11/2010, 9:50 AM
Of the first 3, which does Paul green fit into? Ball winner, ball user, ball carrier or is there a fourth, ball loser?

Ball bag.

Supreme feet
18/11/2010, 10:55 AM
I agree that Coleman should have got a run-out, but I don't understand the hysteria. As has been said, right-hand side isn't a huge priority. Coleman has the talent and potential to go far, but as I said in another thread, so did Stephen McPhail, Sean Thornton, Barry Quinn, Michael Reddy, Alan Quinn, Liam Miller, Jason Gavin and Stephen Elliott. All of these guys made an impact in the EPL (in Miller's case, even Champions League) over the last decade or more, but never went on to fulfill their promise. Nothing is ever certain with young players.

Eminence Grise
18/11/2010, 11:28 AM
What type of player is Paul Green?

Strong in the tackle, ploughs up the ground, but with the footwork finesse of a bull in a china shop. Tends to kow-tow to superior opposition.

Unfair, perhaps, but that might make him a Ball Ox...

Predator
18/11/2010, 12:06 PM
Coleman is not considered by Moyes to be the final answer to Everton's right wing problem. That said, he's doing an admirable job filling in. It's interesting to note that he eventually reverted to full back in their most recent game too. Coleman could have come on at right back but the injury to O'Dea meant that Trap stuck with the greater experience of Foley.

youngirish
18/11/2010, 1:25 PM
Coleman is not considered by Moyes to be the final answer to Everton's right wing problem. That said, he's doing an admirable job filling in. It's interesting to note that he eventually reverted to full back in their most recent game too. Coleman could have come on at right back but the injury to O'Dea meant that Trap stuck with the greater experience of Foley.
Foley only has about 2 or 3 caps.

Predator
18/11/2010, 1:30 PM
I was waiting on that. He has greater experience than Coleman.

youngirish
18/11/2010, 1:51 PM
I was waiting on that. He has greater experience than Coleman.

You offered me the bait and I went for it hook, line and sinker.

BradyIsMyHero
18/11/2010, 2:28 PM
Completely wasted opportunity by Trappatoni not to have used Coleman.

Why bring on McGeady whom we have all seen so many times, and know exactly his attributes (few) and limitations (many)

Coleman is in red hot form at the moment.

Probably his biggest mistake was doing the Irish Times interview. Cardinal Trappatoni was obviously not going to "give in to media pressure"

Brendan 82
18/11/2010, 2:39 PM
Completely wasted opportunity by Trappatoni not to have used Coleman.

Why bring on McGeady whom we have all seen so many times, and know exactly his attributes (few) and limitations (many)

Coleman is in red hot form at the moment.

Probably his biggest mistake was doing the Irish Times interview. Cardinal Trappatoni was obviously not going to "give in to media pressure"

Well the main thing is not how the team actually performs. The important thing is that we all know who is in charge

OwlsFan
18/11/2010, 2:42 PM
old goat

"Everyone was booing". What a laugh. A couple of hundred at best.

"Everyone was roariong to bring on Seamy" - I didn't hear one chant to that effect but if there was, I missed it.

The decision isn't that baffling really. He picks the same team because that's the team he wants to play and other than for friendlies, he doesn't get a chance to iron out difficulties with that team. Putting Coleman on for 30 minutes will tell him nothing really. He's not of the "give them a run" mentality.

I can see it from both sides of the fence. As fans (called customers by the PA Announcer) we want to see Coleman. As a manger he wants to continue ironing out difficulties with the side and players he will play.

He is causing himself difficulties with some fans though but he will never be sacked even if the boo boys become the majority- FAI can't afford the pay off.

wonder88
18/11/2010, 9:42 PM
I am a great fan of Seamie, used to watch him when I lived in Sligo, but I really worry for the lads Irish future after seeing that Eamon Dunphy has been singing his praises in today's Star, after having seen him play in a game on television last sunday apparently. Despite Dunphy's endorsement I still think Seamus has a great future at the highest level possibly in midfield and I wish him all the best

shellyriver
22/11/2010, 11:56 AM
Based on my hope that Coleman would get a start, and didn't, the most overwhelming feeling I have is schadenfreden.

After the shambolic Irish performance, I can say that for the first time I was genuinely pleased that Ireland got popped by Europe's second most defensive team -- bringing on Walters was the final straw.

I mean you can't have it both ways, saying on the one hand that defensively Coleman is a liability that's why you want to keep your formation and then bring on a relative unknown to try and salvage the game.

It's a results business, if he keeps going the way he is, he'll soon be on his deaf lug.

Never mind Shamie. With a great club career ahead of him -- in time, when Trappatoni fails to utilise the limited armory he has, Coleman will become an important cog in the the Irish set up.

Of course, Dunphy will wave the Coleman flag, he's had a grudge against Trapp since the 'Andy Reid' debate and/or Stephen Ireland debacle -- on this point, Dunphy's unassailable.

Despite, Coleman BEING one of the few genuine rising stars of Irish football cutting it at the top grade, whatever chance he had of starting in his non-game, along with giving Ireland some desperately needed attack power, he'll have little into the future, based on Trapp's priorities. Ireland's loss.

LFCSixty/Eighty
22/11/2010, 1:09 PM
Well as long as Trap thinks that its more important to turn up at the FAI Cup final instead of checking out Coleman playing in the premiership against Arsenal then he'll never know what he can offer as an attacking threat. Don't worry Trap, I'm sure all the blazers were delighted with your PR stunt, your bound to get another few years added onto your contract if you keep up that brown nosing.

tetsujin1979
22/11/2010, 1:47 PM
oh please, if he hadn't appeared at the FAI Cup Final, we'd all be complaining that he didn't show up at the FAI's showpiece event,

LFCSixty/Eighty
22/11/2010, 2:01 PM
Give me a break. Who cares if he was there or not!! What exact purpose did it serve?? Made all the worse when he said the following day that only sees Coleman as a right back, if he'd bothered turning up to see him play live he may have got a different perspective. Maybe I'm alone but I for one would have much preferred to see him at Goodison checking out our best current player in the premiership and not licking up to John Delaney and his pals.

tetsujin1979
22/11/2010, 2:29 PM
Give me a break. Who cares if he was there or not!!
If I had to guess, anyone who's ever said that the manager of the national side does not pay enough attention to the domestic league

LFCSixty/Eighty
22/11/2010, 3:48 PM
Well, it seems to me that Trap does not pay ENOUGH attention to the premier league in England.

We need him to be keeping tabs on players that have a chance to get into the Irish squad, with no disrespect to the players on show that day. Our clubs are a stepping stone to the next level which Coleman has now stepped up to. I'd have no problem if he was over and back all the time watching our players in action but its a ridiculous that one of the few times he bother to get up off his a*** to come over from Italy that he decides to ignore a great opportunity to see him action in favour of a PR stunt.

He reminds me of our politicians, who are more concerned about local politics than looking at the bigger picture of whats best for the country.

Jicked
22/11/2010, 4:47 PM
He did a pretty good job keeping an eye on players like Greg Cunningham, Caleb Folan and Paul Green I'd imagine you hadn't heard of

osarusan
22/11/2010, 6:51 PM
Don't see what the issue with Trap being at the FAI cup final was. It is the finale of the season of LOI football, and you're going to get figures like him at the game. He might even have noticed that passing the ball can be effective at times.

Whatever games he missed in England (Everton by the looks of it) by his attendance at the FAI cup final, he can make up for on any of the 51 weekends of the year he isn't watching LOI football. If the criticism is that he's not paying enough attention to prospects in England/elsewhere, it certainly isn't because of his insistence on wathcing LOI. It's a non-issue really.

SkStu
22/11/2010, 6:58 PM
i agree its a non-issue at the end of the day but LFC60/80 is right insofar as he should really only be attending the cup final to check/scout players for the national team and not merely to press palms with the powers that be.

Too much of Traps blatant faults get hidden behind and sidetracked by the small stuff like attendance at cup finals.

SkStu
22/11/2010, 6:59 PM
anyhoo, Coleman starting again on the right wing. Have the day off work and settling down to watch it on telly here.

theworm2345
22/11/2010, 7:30 PM
anyhoo, Coleman starting again on the right wing. Have the day off work and settling down to watch it on telly here.
Its only been 30 minutes and I have to leave for an exam, but he hasn't done much so far.

SkStu
22/11/2010, 7:41 PM
he has been very quiet tonight so far. His ability to support the ball carrier or make himself available in tight positions needs a lot of work.

good luck with the exam.

Charlie Darwin
22/11/2010, 7:55 PM
He's been busy but the right side of the pitch is very congested - all the space is on the opposite side, and that's where both goals have originated. I hope he follows Bale's lead and bulks up this summer - he has a great burst of acceleration but over distance he needs a bit more pace.

Cahill on some form at the moment. Another dynamite header.

SkStu
22/11/2010, 8:06 PM
fantastic goal from Everton alright - Baines cross was inch perfect.

theworm2345
22/11/2010, 8:38 PM
Coleman was hauled off after 66 minutes, I'm guessing he didn't improve to much in the middle part of the match?

EDIT: His replacement Rodwell didn't exactly set the match alight either.

tricky_colour
22/11/2010, 9:13 PM
I thought he did well just before he came off he nearly set up something in the box, anyhow Sunderland scored
shortly after he went off, but they did equalise. The commentator said he was up against an equally fast and strong defender (Bardsley).

Charlie Darwin
22/11/2010, 9:21 PM
Very good strength to win the ball in the box - he's a feisty little player and stronger than he looks. He didn't have a great game and looked a bit lost at times when he came inside searching for the ball, and he did seem like the obvious player from the midfield to sub off, but I think he offered a lot more than Rodwell did when he came on.

SkStu
22/11/2010, 9:23 PM
yeah, he tried to skin him on the outside a few times but Bardsley was surprisingly up to the task. Cant help but feel that if we were looking at acquiring players and he was one that was talked about (i think he was mentioned a few times here as expressing an interest) then we may have missed out. Very tough defensive performance from Bardsley.

Coleman overall was very disappointing to be honest. Seemed a bit lost compared to recent performances and as i said is a bit positionally unaware when supporting the attack from out wide.