PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

tricky_colour
23/02/2013, 5:06 PM
Was a big win for Norwich who had been struggling for points recently, puts them pretty safe now.

New signing Kei Kamara got the equaliser, he looks extremely impressive here.
The commentator say it's one of the best headers he has seen this season, I can't disagree.
http://www.footytube.com/video/kamara-brings-norwich-city-level-160984?ref=search

brine3
23/02/2013, 6:17 PM
Has nothing on Drogba's header a couple of weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7CCgE1OInk

tricky_colour
23/02/2013, 8:16 PM
Funnily enough I was thinking he looks like the new Drogba!!

Anyway, looking at this video there is a chance he may be eligible for Ireland!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Xg_uqnAy0

tricky_colour
23/02/2013, 8:34 PM
Another good headed one here, second one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfAEMFdFUaI&feature=share&list=PL58249ED4519EB954

SkStu
02/03/2013, 2:46 PM
More mustard from Coleman :)

GOAL- Everton 1-0 Reading - Marouane Fellaini (42 mins)
Everton do have a breakthrough, and it comes from the huge head of Marouane Fellaini. Kudos to Seamus Coleman though, with the right-back beating several men down the right with a real mazy run before standing up a cross which Fellaini heads into the top corner. Superb wing play. Fellaini now has more Premier League goals this season than Wayne Rooney...

tricky_colour
02/03/2013, 2:52 PM
Dam just missed that goal, I could hear it but I has adverts all over the screen desperately trying to clear them to see the replays
only say Fellani heading it in!! Maybe there will be a half time replay.

tricky_colour
16/03/2013, 12:55 PM
Assist for Coleman, he lined up to put a cross in, did a few shimmies to draw the defence in
then laid the ball back to Osman who lashed it into the top corner with a brilliant shot with
the outside of his foot.

Not dissimilar to this: :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHkfza0CdXQ

The commentator just described him as "Coleman, the star of the first half" (I didn't see all of it).

BonnieShels
16/03/2013, 1:27 PM
He's been outstanding.

And with Pienaar being sent off he's just been brilliant.

Bungle
16/03/2013, 1:27 PM
If Coleman and Wilson aren't our full backs I'll be really annoyed with trap. Class player is our sea us.

BonnieShels
16/03/2013, 1:36 PM
And Gibbo gas been good as well. the ease with which he spreads the ball around is something else.

Referee is awful.

SkStu
16/03/2013, 2:27 PM
Class player is our sea us.

Couldn't agree more.

Bungle
16/03/2013, 3:46 PM
Sea us is class and seamus isn't half bad:o

tricky_colour
16/03/2013, 7:27 PM
That really was a cracking shot from Osman, just seen it again, the view from the back of the goal,
hits it with the outside of the boot and gets a wicked swerve on it. You might have thought he would
have got MOM for that but Sky Sports gives it to Coleman giving him a 9. The fans rating is 8.4 against
7.5 for Osman. Seen some of the second half and Coleman was going past player like they ere not there.

Yard of Pace
16/03/2013, 8:57 PM
Alan McInally reporting on the game for Sky said Seamus was sensational. He also said Gibson was very very good. Tis a pity we have one but not the both.

Noelys Guitar
17/03/2013, 1:25 AM
He was simply brilliant today against some fairly serious opposition. Not only back to his best bit arrogant aka Roy Keane and Gareth Bale as in I know I'm the best player in this particular match.

Noelys Guitar
17/03/2013, 1:27 AM
Alan McInally reporting on the game for Sky said Seamus was sensational. He also said Gibson was very very good. Tis a pity we have one but not the both.

Gibson was immense. Making sliding tackles. Playing killer through balls. Big loss on what I witnessed today

Colbert Report
17/03/2013, 3:31 AM
Gibson/McCarthy/Meyler would make a great midfield trio for the next decade.

gastric
17/03/2013, 4:55 AM
Gibson/McCarthy/Meyler would make a great midfield trio for the next decade.

And throw in Hendricks too and it is certainly looking okay. Unfortunately, our present manager doesn't seem to trust such creative players!

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 5:46 AM
And throw in Hendricks too and it is certainly looking okay. Unfortunately, our present manager doesn't seem to trust such creative players!
Which of those four is the creative player?

liamoo11
17/03/2013, 10:25 AM
Which of those four is the creative player?

Gibson is mr creative all day long. if the 3 was gibson ,mccarthy and meyler i think you would have mccarthy and gibson sitting dictating the play and meyler pushing forward linking with the striker in an old townsend in poland in the 90s style

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 12:16 PM
Gibson is mr creative all day long. if the 3 was gibson ,mccarthy and meyler i think you would have mccarthy and gibson sitting dictating the play and meyler pushing forward linking with the striker in an old townsend in poland in the 90s style
Which of them plays in a creative role for his club?

liamoo11
17/03/2013, 12:59 PM
Which of them plays in a creative role for his club?

Gibson key creative force for everton dictates the play and everton have far worse record without him. Think we need to see midfield players as overall footballers rather than some idea that if your not floating around behind the striker and preferably 5 foot nothing you are not creative. Jack grealish will be in that position behind the striker in 2 years anyway so then we will have the creative midfielder we desire to replace wes

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 1:37 PM
Gibson is a holding midfielder. He doesn't create anything. McCarthy is a holding player. Meyler is a box to box midfielder. I would be as critical of Trap as anyone for not giving these players more chances but I don't know why anybody would say it's because they're too creative. None of them is a particularly creative player. Hoolahan is a creative player.

Irwin3
17/03/2013, 6:30 PM
He's more creative than other DMs due to his passing ability. Forward passes, 1st time passes, through balls, accurate long balls, etc. "He doesn't create anything" Hahahaha, he might not be top of the assist chart but he'll often be the pass setting up the attack in the first place.

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 7:10 PM
OK, but he's not the type of player who pushes forward and makes things happen in the final third. He sits back and allows players like Pienaar and Osman to create goalscoring opportunities.

SkStu
17/03/2013, 7:17 PM
Carsley was a holding midfielder Charlie... you putting Gibson in that general category? i suupose my point is we can't just pigeonhole players. I think Gibson is what is considered a creative player who just happens to play deeper than what we think of when we think of that type of player that Irwin3 described.

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 7:20 PM
Why is Gibson considered a creative player? I'm sure he could do a job further up the field but I've never seen him unlock defences in his career. He puts in good crosses and can play others into space, but he's not a creator of goalscoring opportunities.

SkStu
17/03/2013, 7:23 PM
for the reasons Irwin3 states.

liamoo11
17/03/2013, 7:29 PM
OK, but he's not the type of player who pushes forward and makes things happen in the final third. He sits back and allows players like Pienaar and Osman to create goalscoring opportunities.

He plays the midfield general position because he is the technically most accomplished footballer at everton. If he played at a better club he could absolutely play in the wes role float around get involved occasionally get praise when things go well never dominate a game and get taken off cause he was a luxury when you have a man sent off. Remember when he was at utd and ferguson wanted him behind the striker and everyone said he could never dominate a midfield and was there for his goals and long range shooting cause fergie couldnt possibly be wrong about a player!In the last 30 years I would only have him behind keane,brady,whelan and mcgrath as central midfielders for ireland.

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 7:45 PM
for the reasons Irwin3 states.
So when did he do these things?

He plays the midfield general position because he is the technically most accomplished footballer at everton. If he played at a better club he could absolutely play in the wes role float around get involved occasionally get praise when things go well never dominate a game and get taken off cause he was a luxury when you have a man sent off. Remember when he was at utd and ferguson wanted him behind the striker and everyone said he could never dominate a midfield and was there for his goals and long range shooting cause fergie couldnt possibly be wrong about a player!In the last 30 years I would only have him behind keane,brady,whelan and mcgrath as central midfielders for ireland.
I remember Ferguson saying he could play the Frank Lampard box to box role alright. If he wanted him behind the striker he obviously changed his mind because he never tried him there. I will choose not to respond to your last sentence.

liamoo11
17/03/2013, 7:50 PM

I remember Ferguson saying he could play the Frank Lampard box to box role alright. If he wanted him behind the striker he obviously changed his mind because he never tried him there. I will choose not to respond to your last sentence.

Who else would you have ahead of him as centre mids for ireland in the last 30 years?

SkStu
17/03/2013, 7:53 PM

Is this really where you're taking the discussion?

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 8:00 PM
Who else would you have ahead of him as centre mids for ireland in the last 30 years?
I assume you mean in terms of raw ability and club performances since he had generally been muck for Ireland up until he quit. In that case Stephen Ireland, Steven Reid, Ray Houghton, Andy Townsend would all be in the same bracket, off the top of my head.

Is this really where you're taking the discussion?
It's a valid question. If he's capable of this stuff then surely he's done it for somebody at some point.

SkStu
17/03/2013, 8:06 PM
Injuries aside, he has been doing that for Everton for the last 13-14 months.

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 8:13 PM
I don't see it. He has a lot of qualities but, like McCarthy, they're qualities best suited to the middle third. For creativity, you're looking at the players around him.

dr_peepee
17/03/2013, 8:43 PM
He's a poor mans Alonso.. He's not as mobile or dynamic as McCarthy. Not sure how he would fit into traps team in its current guise.

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 8:45 PM
A poor man's Alonso could mean practically anything since he's one of the best players in the world.

tricky_colour
17/03/2013, 9:48 PM
Can't say I have every thought of Gibson as a particularly creative but he does rate quite highly on creativity
higher than Wes for example which surprises me. I think it's because is not as good at dribbling as Wes, who
can hold on to the ball draw players in and then play a pass into the space he has created.

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 10:19 PM
Rate highly on creativity? What does that mean?

Crosby87
17/03/2013, 10:21 PM
Do you guys like this chick?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX44gV3OQy4

Murfinator
17/03/2013, 11:22 PM
Gibson is a holding midfielder. He doesn't create anything. McCarthy is a holding player. Meyler is a box to box midfielder. I would be as critical of Trap as anyone for not giving these players more chances but I don't know why anybody would say it's because they're too creative. None of them is a particularly creative player. Hoolahan is a creative player.

Just because someone plays in the DM role doesn't mean they're a holding player. Gibsons job has never been that of a holding player, if you were stretching you could call him a deep lying playmaker but he's very limited in that capacity. He's just a link man playing crab passes and percentages. Might develop into a DLP in the long run but looks very limited at the moment, would be worthless in a conventional 4-4-2

tricky_colour
17/03/2013, 11:27 PM
Rate highly on creativity? What does that mean?

Score high on stat sites which rate things like creativity.

Irwin3
17/03/2013, 11:29 PM
Posted before. Some nice crab football here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntilaNnKDMs

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 11:32 PM
Just because someone plays in the DM role doesn't mean they're a holding player. Gibsons job has never been that of a holding player, if you were stretching you could call him a deep lying playmaker but he's very limited in that capacity. He's just a link man playing crab passes and percentages. Might develop into a DLP in the long run but looks very limited at the moment, would be worthless in a conventional 4-4-2
Of course not but Gibson actually is a holding player. His role for Everton is primarily a defensive one - he is the guy who sits back when defenders go roaming and rarely passes the half-way line during open play. I just don't think he's a playmaker at all. He finds men in space and switches the point of attack but in terms of actual penetration he leaves it to other players with more intricate skills.

Score high on stat sites which rate things like creativity.
What stats sites though, is what I'm asking. Stats sites are just estimates with dubious legitimacy.

Stuttgart88
18/03/2013, 8:57 AM
Gibson is a holding midfielder. He doesn't create anything. McCarthy is a holding player. Meyler is a box to box midfielder. Holding midfielder - whatever that is.

I don't think the term "creative" is that inappropriate for Gibson. He's not a Modric type player or even a Hoolahan, but he is a player who passes the ball elegantly and with good vision in all areas of the pitch. Whereas the type of player I suspect CD calls creative is a player who excels in the final third, I think Gibson is probably more at home in his own defensive third and central third. That doesn't consign him to that accursed definition "holding midfielder" though, in my opinion.

McCarthy was very much in the box-to-box mould in yesterday's game

paul_oshea
18/03/2013, 12:45 PM
I think what you are saying stutts is there is another term waiting to be coined for a gibsoj type player because he doesnt really fit into the 2 categories being discussed.

Stuttgart88
18/03/2013, 12:49 PM
Yes, Paul, pretty much. But if you only had 2 categories of midfielder, creative or destructive, I'd absolutely have him in the former. He's more of a "ball using" midfielder than a "ball winning" midfielder, although obviously any midfielder has to have some degree of each attribute. Gibson's ball winning ability seems to have been lured out of its slumber by Moyes.

paul_oshea
18/03/2013, 1:24 PM
Ya i think if you ask the question in that way to CD, he has only two options he would have to go with that also.

nigel-harps1954
18/03/2013, 1:35 PM
Could have sworn I clicked on the Seamus Coleman thread..

SwanVsDalton
18/03/2013, 2:14 PM
I think what you are saying stutts is there is another term waiting to be coined for a gibsoj type player because he doesnt really fit into the 2 categories being discussed.

I'm fond of the term 'quarterback' for players like Gibson, and I believe it's the type of player he aspires to (if he's not already in that mould).

The type of player who dictates the point of attack, can spot weaknesses in the option from the relative distance of their own third or half and, crucially, speed up or slow down the tempo depending on what's required using quickfire decision making and great passing technique to exploit holes in the opposition.

Even Gibson in his more maligned appearances in a green shirt demanded the ball short (often from the full-back or keeper) and looked to play the ball out from deep. Likewise under Everton he demands possession and looks to probe forward more often than not. It clearly makes a difference to Everton's creative tempo.

I don't think it's right to say he's simply playing crab passes - a player like Neil Lennon was great at retaining possession but he did nothing going forward. Gibson makes a difference to Everton's attacking play because he has the ability to quickly change the point of attack, like a fly-half seeking space in behind or out wide with a quick grubber or flat pass.

Not saying Gibson's there yet, a better example would be Alonso or Pirlo who's a master of this type - just arguing that's how he looks to play.

He'd be 'creative' in my thinking, though he's certainly ain't a Sneijder or Mata. Having said that I'd argue Gibson did show some of that kind of creativity when he got a run at Utd further forward although not on a consistent basis.