PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Sullivinho
20/01/2011, 11:09 PM
Four and a half year deal, fair play to him.

Coleman signs new Everton deal (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0120/colemans.html)

Well deserved. It's been a joy following his progress this season.

Junior
21/01/2011, 2:14 PM
Speaking of cars, there was a story in one of today's papers (The Independent?) saying that Jermaine Pennant's old club in Spain rang him to say he'd left his Porsche with personalised number plates in the local train station before he left for England. Pennant's response was that he had forgotten he owned one.

TalkSport ran with it as well. Looking for Text and emails on the subject "when do you know you have too much money............."

paul_oshea
21/01/2011, 2:43 PM
Id say he just couldn't be bothered as he just wanted to get out of there and thought he would never be back so what's the point?you dint just forget about something like that.

tricky_colour
29/01/2011, 3:00 PM
Seamus had a good game today.
Almost scored (twice) and full of running.

Everton want votes for Coleman for the ESPN PFA Fans' Premier League Player of the Month for January.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2011/01/29/coleman-needs-your-votes

Noelys Guitar
29/01/2011, 3:59 PM
The height he got up and the bravery he showed for that header and rebound shot in the second half was great to see. He showed again today why he should be starting for us.

TrapAPony
29/01/2011, 4:08 PM
The height he got up and the bravery he showed for that header and rebound shot in the second half was great to see. He showed again today why he should be starting for us.

Amazing that he hasn't even been capped for us yet.

tricky_colour
29/01/2011, 4:13 PM

Yep, I also liked how he went through two Chelsea defenders.
I remember when Duff used to do that!!

The were fouling him off the ball too such was their respect for his ability, they knew they would not catch him - lol.

I bet Moyes is glad he has just signed a new contract.

Closed Account
29/01/2011, 4:27 PM
Amazing that he hasn't even been capped for us yet.
No its not? We've had one friendly game since he became a premier league regular. He's only been in the squad for one game. Thats one game he didn't play in, how is that amazing. Sounds like you're easily amazed. Look! A Blue car.

People need to realise that there is more to international football than getting called up to a squad and getting a game straight away. He didn't get a game straight away at Everton did he? No it took months of training every day, learning systems, positioning, different set pieces, defending and attacking before he was trusted. Same applies to International football, although international footballers are expected to pick it up quicker, albeit not all do.

Good piece here about what's expected of a professional footballer.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/29/secret-footballer-andy-gray-pundits

paul_oshea
29/01/2011, 4:29 PM
Thats a fair point joe.

OwlsFan
31/01/2011, 9:14 AM
Saw the game (in between channel surfing) vs Chelsea. He reminds me a bit of Ray Houghton. One of those players who is just a bundle of energy and buzzing all round the pitch. Keep it going Seamus.

Charlie Darwin
31/01/2011, 12:13 PM
Bale and Bellamy out of the Wales squad to injury. I guess Trap has no reason not to start him now!

SkStu
31/01/2011, 6:02 PM
No its not? We've had one friendly game since he became a premier league regular.

fair post but personally i dont think Ireland is in a position anymore to be waiting for promising young players to become premiership regulars before giving them some (non-competitive even) game-time.

SkStu
31/01/2011, 6:03 PM
Saw the game (in between channel surfing) vs Chelsea. He reminds me a bit of Ray Houghton. One of those players who is just a bundle of energy and buzzing all round the pitch. Keep it going Seamus.

thats funny - i was thinking of Houghton too and Tony Galvin even moreso.

tricky_colour
31/01/2011, 6:54 PM
I heard some commentator comparing him to Kanchelskis.

tommy_c12000
31/01/2011, 8:23 PM
Neville could be on his way out. Could make room for Coleman to get a chance at right back

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11675_6715201,00.html

OwlsFan
01/02/2011, 8:53 AM
thats funny - i was thinking of Houghton too and Tony Galvin even moreso.

Tony Galvin was more of a cultured player and relied on crosses from his sweet left foot and didn't have the buzz of a Houghton or Coleman. I notice from Wikipedia that Galvin only scored one goal for Ireland - without checking do you know who it was against? I didn't remember but it was in a 2-0 win away from home.

tetsujin1979
01/02/2011, 9:39 AM
according to soccerscene.ie, it was a 2-0 win over Luxembourg (although they have it as 2-1): http://www.soccerscene.ie/sssenior/matchdetails.php?id=233

SkStu
01/02/2011, 3:52 PM
Tony Galvin was more of a cultured player and relied on crosses from his sweet left foot and didn't have the buzz of a Houghton or Coleman. I notice from Wikipedia that Galvin only scored one goal for Ireland - without checking do you know who it was against? I didn't remember but it was in a 2-0 win away from home.

i watched Galvin play for Ireland as a youngster (8-12) so i dont recall exactly what his style was like all the time but i do remember that the way he played excited me in much the same way as Coleman does.

And i wouldnt have had a clue about it being Luxembourg!

tricky_colour
01/02/2011, 8:12 PM
he got an assist V arsenal (didn't see it).
got a great stream though:D

paul_oshea
01/02/2011, 8:20 PM
he didnt really get an assist it was a deflection.

He just left his marker for the koscieny for the goal. well not just him in fairness 2 or 3 lost their men.

Stuttgart88
01/02/2011, 10:21 PM
Galvin was bigger than Coleman but both play(ed) with that sligthly agricultural look, head down and peg it. In physique he reminds me more of Dave Langan. If he was allowed I reckon Coleman would play with socks around his ankles, like both Langan & Galvin.

SkStu
02/02/2011, 12:10 AM
Galvin was bigger than Coleman but both play(ed) with that sligthly agricultural look, head down and peg it. In physique he reminds me more of Dave Langan. If he was allowed I reckon Coleman would play with socks around his ankles, like both Langan & Galvin.

thats exactly what it is stutts. :)

tetsujin1979
08/02/2011, 9:34 AM
Looks happy about making his debut, doesn't he?
http://www.fai.ie/components/com_gk2_photoslide/images/thumbm/109503Seamus_Feb11.jpg
(photo is from the frontpage on fai.ie)

paul_oshea
08/02/2011, 10:48 AM
He is supposed to be very quite and a bit shy tets.i like that photo shows a stealy determination, a willingness to get on with it rearing to go and learn. All at the same time.

You look a bit like that tets.except a bit more lost :-))

tetsujin1979
08/02/2011, 10:58 AM
actually I think he looks like Ian Browne, who I don't look like

Duggie
08/02/2011, 11:01 AM
i like coleman, seems a really decent guy. down to earth and not a bighead. amazing he was playing in the showgrounds a short while ago.

Predator
08/02/2011, 2:42 PM
That's the kind of look that strikes fear into John Terry and Ashley Cole.

SkStu
08/02/2011, 2:54 PM
i like coleman, seems a really decent guy. down to earth and not a bighead..

absolutely not - in fact it is one of the smaller heads i've seen recently.

paul_oshea
08/02/2011, 7:18 PM
Coleman is like Carr he has a knack of getting away with clear fouls in the penalty area

tetsujin1979
08/02/2011, 7:45 PM
Coleman is playing right in front of me. The Welsh left full is stuck to him everytime we get possession

Stuttgart88
08/02/2011, 7:47 PM
Are you John O'Shea?

paul_oshea
08/02/2011, 8:09 PM
Ya only oshea would have that much time and be thinking of doing other things that playing football.

tetsujin1979
08/02/2011, 10:18 PM
Are you John O'Shea?
sure, why not?

was a little disappointed with coleman to be honest, but like I said he wasn't given an inch to move into. Delivered a few nice crosses from the by-line but I don't think he did enough to start the next game.

sligoman
08/02/2011, 10:30 PM
Delivered a few nice crosses from the by-line but I don't think he did enough to start the next game.He was never going to start the next game anyway, Trap just played him so he can now say he's given him his chance. Trap couldn't even give him a full 90mins in a meaningless game like tonight.

Other players weren't passing the ball to him often enough for him to make much of an impact, there was one point where Dunne had a simple option of passing it to Seamie but decided to pass it to someone else who was not in as good a position as Seamie and what happened? A Welsh player intercepted it on it's way. Seamie was actually waving his hands in the air shouting for the ball at one stage and it wasn't passed to him then either. When he had it he did well enough.

Charlie Darwin
08/02/2011, 10:33 PM
I know you were excited to see an ex-Sligo player do well but that's a very one-eyed view of the night's action. He did some good things with the ball and some poor things - as you'd expect from a player on his debut - but he got plenty of ball to impress with and generally made a good account of him. It's not the team's job to pass to Seamie every time.

SwanVsDalton
08/02/2011, 10:34 PM
He was never going to start the next game anyway, Trap just played him so he can now say he's given him his chance. Trap couldn't even give him a full 90mins in a meaningless game like tonight.

Other players weren't passing the ball to him often enough for him to make much of an impact, there was one point where Dunne had a simple option of passing it to Seamie but decided to pass it to someone else who was not in as good a position as Seamie and what happened? A Welsh player intercepted it on it's way. Seamie was actually waving his hands in the air shouting for the ball at one stage and it wasn't passed to him then either. When he had it he did well enough.

Don't worry Seamus, I'm sure you'll get a bit more ball next time out...

SkStu
08/02/2011, 11:59 PM
I know you were excited to see an ex-Sligo player do well but that's a very one-eyed view of the night's action. He did some good things with the ball and some poor things - as you'd expect from a player on his debut - but he got plenty of ball to impress with and generally made a good account of him. It's not the team's job to pass to Seamie every time.

Clearly Trap has instructed his few remaining loyals in the squad not to pass to Coleman. Its an absolute disgrace. How long more can this spoofer remain in charge of the team? On yer bike Trap and take Given with you.

:)

paul_oshea
09/02/2011, 9:08 AM
Watching seamus last night and in a few other games a few things spring to mind.

Tricky mentioned it earlier too i think, but for longevity and to further his career at the top he does need to adopt to the right back role. He reminds me of an early kilbane, he doesn't have any trickery like duff or mcgeady, but he has pace and direct running in abundance. Like kilbane too, he has a decent cross on him, but better than kilbane he gets into decent positions around the 18 yard box. But this pace will eventually cease and he will be more like kilbane is now, therefore to strengthen his chances of staying at the top if he adapts the role of attacking full back his lack of pace wont be a worry as his main contribution will be defending as opposed to attacking.

The other thing is, yesterday he didnt get much of a chance, i notice with everton alot too, even though he is always an outlet more often than not everton attack down the left, i really dont know why this is given he is always in oceans of space and has proved he has the pace to run with the ball and beat defenders. Anyway I noticed him trying to roam in on a couple of occasions last night and he did it well, good link up play and offered variety, however shortly afterwards he was taking off after doing this. Trap doesn't like that sort of play from the wingers he wants them to attack down the channels and stick out wide, the traditional sense of a winger and unfortunately I don't see him seeing coleman as this sort of player. Coleman is good counter attacking or when he has space, but mcgeady/duff/hunt are more in the mould of the traditional wingers which Trap likes.

The other thing about him which is a minor point, but the reason he keeps tugging at the jersey is straight out of his GAA roots, its the first thign a gaelic player does when a forward goes to make a run, you pull on his jersey quick tug to get up to pace and ensure he doesn't speed away. This is what coleman has been doing time and again at everton and was evident yesterday too with what should have been a penalty. Luckily for us though the premier league refs, and yesterdays too, have been well versed in the game of Gaelic and they let it pass.

geysir
09/02/2011, 11:14 AM
Trap said clear enough after the game on rte, that we don't wait for Coleman any longer, he has arrived.

Drumcondra 69er
09/02/2011, 11:42 AM
He was never going to start the next game anyway, Trap just played him so he can now say he's given him his chance. Trap couldn't even give him a full 90mins in a meaningless game like tonight.

That's a crock of sh1t mate. I'd imagine that Moyes probably asked that he be given an hour if anything. It was a pity becuase he was beginning to come more into the game at that stage, the first half passed him by a bit (not that he was the only one) but he did okay, steady debut.

Wolfie
09/02/2011, 12:47 PM
The other thing about him which is a minor point, but the reason he keeps tugging at the jersey is straight out of his GAA roots, its the first thign a gaelic player does when a forward goes to make a run, you pull on his jersey quick tug to get up to pace and ensure he doesn't speed away. This is what coleman has been doing time and again at everton and was evident yesterday too with what should have been a penalty. Luckily for us though the premier league refs, and yesterdays too, have been well versed in the game of Gaelic and they let it pass.

I'll be waiting on him to suddently leap 5 foot in the air, field the ball cleanly into the hands and boot it over the bar as the bemused Goodison crowd wonder what's got into shay??

paul_oshea
09/02/2011, 12:58 PM
I'll be waiting on him to suddently leap 5 foot in the air, field the ball cleanly into the hands and boot it over the bar as the bemused Goodison crowd wonder what's got into shay??

Now that would be quality, with back to goal, a quick side step and turn and face the posts and bang over the bar :D He could always do it if/when he is flagged for offside. so what for a yellow? He will be the first player to ever score a point on a permiership ground.

theworm2345
09/03/2011, 7:10 PM
On today after 7 minutes after Arteta pulled up after doing his hamstring.

Just got nailed in the face by a Hibbert clearance too.

DannyInvincible
09/03/2011, 7:17 PM
I understand he's come on to replace the injured Arteta this evening, but has Coleman lost his starting berth on the right to Osman or is it just a temporary thing? Osman started the last two games ahead of him.

rebelmusic
09/03/2011, 7:42 PM
Duffy on the bench too

theworm2345
09/03/2011, 8:54 PM
Missed minutes 30-50 due to (a heavily abbreviated) class, but I thought that, while Coleman looked very good on the ball and did well running the right channel, his final ball was very poor tonight aside from a couple of decent crosses.

geysir
09/03/2011, 9:09 PM
I thought you could tune into the EPl games on your laptop while in class, Worm?

theworm2345
09/03/2011, 9:32 PM
I thought you could tune into the EPl games on your laptop while in class, Worm?
I don't bring it to class...I've thought about it but teachers do know that most students who are on laptops in class aren't paying attention. Considering I'd be staring at the screen and not typing the teacher would know whats up and probably wouldn't be too happy. If there was a match I badly wanted to see I'd just skip class or record the stream and/or download it later. If I was in a class big enough (meaning more than 50 students) I would probably do it, but only if there were outlets available as streaming can eat up the battery. That being said I have had afternoon classes in computer labs where I always sit in the back and just watch footy (thats how I watched the second half of the Slovakia match). I do find other ways of distracting myself though, especially in the terrible class that I had to go to during this match...for example recently I attempted to name every team in the EPL, Football League, and the Conference (only missed 7 teams total, 4 in the Conference, though I had an hour and a half). Another good one is to try to write out as many (current) Irish players as possible and then make as many teams as possible...I think a few years ago I made A, B, C, D, and E teams.

Stuttgart88
09/03/2011, 9:41 PM
Given that he is such a high energy player, and based on what I've heard (here?), it'd be no suprise that in his first proper season of first team footy that the poor lad is just knackered.

Stuttgart88
09/03/2011, 9:42 PM
Good on you worm. Much respect.