PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Charlie Darwin
25/04/2014, 12:02 PM
The funny thing is he'll probably still lose out to Zabaleta for team of the season.

Stuttgart88
25/04/2014, 1:26 PM
What day was that I didn't spot that.

Barclay can be annoying sometimes making total sense nxt time not at all.yesterday I think.

DeLorean
25/04/2014, 2:17 PM
The funny thing is he'll probably still lose out to Zabaleta for team of the season.

Surely not. It's even been fairly well documented that Zabaleta has been a bit below his usual high standards this season. Never know though.

osarusan
26/04/2014, 12:18 PM
Perfectly placed header into the bottom corner by Coleman gives the keeper no chance and makes it 2-0.

Only problem is that it was an own goal.

back of the net
26/04/2014, 2:32 PM
Seemingly luke shaw caused seamus alot of problems

DeLorean
26/04/2014, 2:43 PM
Coleman caused Shaw little trouble anyway it must be said. He was unlucky for the og. It really looked like Stones was going to header it clear but seemed to halt his desire at the last second, too late for Coleman to react after that I think. Everton weren't at it collectively today. Mirallas a big miss for them on top of the two Centre backs. McGeady did well enough when introduced again.

back of the net
26/04/2014, 3:33 PM
http://balls.ie/football/gif-seamus-coleman-scores-unfortunate-goal/

tricky_colour
26/04/2014, 3:44 PM
lol that's a shocker!!!
Looks like he forgot which box he was in.
Remarkably both goals were own goals!
Long just got in on the act!!!

BonnieShels
27/04/2014, 4:29 AM
He's a liability.

tetsujin1979
27/04/2014, 12:13 PM
I refuse to believe he had a bad game until I see a Paul O'Shea post from six months ago predicting he would have a bad game

tricky_colour
27/04/2014, 4:03 PM
No peace of mind for the inveterate gambler, who's also paranoid.

Certainly no peace of mind, not it's not paranoia, I was right Liverpool did slip up
"Even now with Liverpool 6-1 on I can see them slipping up".
I think it is me though, I watched the match and when ever I do that everything seems to
go wrong for some reason. Been watching Man City too and they are winning.
Maybe is if I stop watching Palace will make a comeback?!

Crosby87
27/04/2014, 6:45 PM
So you're a "cooler"?

DeLorean
27/04/2014, 7:15 PM
Coleman got on the PFA team of the season :

Cech, COLEMAN, Cahill, Kompany, Shaw, Hazard, Gerrard, Toure, Lallana, Suarez, Sturridge.

TrapAPony
27/04/2014, 8:57 PM
Coleman got on the PFA team of the season :

Cech, COLEMAN, Cahill, Kompany, Shaw, Hazard, Gerrard, Toure, Lallana, Suarez, Sturridge.

Also James McCarthy made the 'subs' bench

tricky_colour
27/04/2014, 8:57 PM
So you're a "cooler"?

Possibly depending on what it means.
I am a little cooler now it looks like I may well lose my bet,
will have to rely on Everton stopping Man City and I am not too
confident of that. Could try a cover bet not to cut my loses.

Olé Olé
27/04/2014, 10:05 PM
Such illustrious company on that side. Speaks volumes about the progress this man has made and the level that he has been at all season. Such a level that he has been duly named the best Premier League right-back for 2013/2014.

Seamie, take a bow.

DeLorean
28/04/2014, 7:26 AM
I was right Liverpool did slip up
"Even now with Liverpool 6-1 on I can see them slipping up".

Without meaning to burst your bubble, the odds were highly stacked towards Liverpool having a slip up. The 1/6 was a measure of their chances of winning the league, not Liverpool winning the rest of their games. I heard a stat that no team in any of Europe's top leagues have ever won fourteen games on the spin in a single season, something Liverpool would have to have done. Open to correction though, I thought the likes of Real Madrid or Bayern Munich would surely have done it. Arsenal did win fourteen in a row, but it was over two seasons.

City are well capable of blowing it at Everton but they are playing them at a good time. Everton are likely to be without Distin and Jagielka still, as well as Mirallas, Barry and possibly even Baines. Heavy absentee list considering they are already without the likes of Pienaar, Gibson, Kone and Oviedo. City could have Silva back and with Aguero and Toure now having games under their belt they would be at more or less full strength for once, with the possible exception of Nastasic.

How did Kompany get on the team of the season? That's a real 'living off reputation' selection. I remember hearing another stat around Christmas that City had a better defensive record without him. Off the top of my head too he had some real howlers... his sliced o.g. at Fulham, red card at Hull and potentially fatal assist for Coutinho at Anfield. Even against Barcelona, it was Kompany's failure to keep the offside line that got Demichelis into trouble when he was sent off for bringing down Messi. It's more fashionable to make Demichelis the fall guy though.

I'd have had Azpilicueta over Shaw and Marshall or De Gea over Cech also.

tricky_colour
28/04/2014, 9:34 PM
Without meaning to burst your bubble, the odds were highly stacked towards Liverpool having a slip up. The 1/6 was a measure of their chances of winning the league, not Liverpool winning the rest of their games. I heard a stat that no team in any of Europe's top leagues have ever won fourteen games on the spin in a single season, something Liverpool would have to have done. Open to correction though, I thought the likes of Real Madrid or Bayern Munich would surely have done it. Arsenal did win fourteen in a row, but it was over two seasons.

City are well capable of blowing it at Everton but they are playing them at a good time. Everton are likely to be without Distin and Jagielka still, as well as Mirallas, Barry and possibly even Baines. Heavy absentee list considering they are already without the likes of Pienaar, Gibson, Kone and Oviedo. City could have Silva back and with Aguero and Toure now having games under their belt they would be at more or less full strength for once, with the possible exception of Nastasic.

How did Kompany get on the team of the season? That's a real 'living off reputation' selection. I remember hearing another stat around Christmas that City had a better defensive record without him. Off the top of my head too he had some real howlers... his sliced o.g. at Fulham, red card at Hull and potentially fatal assist for Coutinho at Anfield. Even against Barcelona, it was Kompany's failure to keep the offside line that got Demichelis into trouble when he was sent off for bringing down Messi. It's more fashionable to make Demichelis the fall guy though.

I'd have had Azpilicueta over Shaw and Marshall or De Gea over Cech also.

I don't think there was much of a bubble to burst, Liverpool winning the league and
they winning their remaining gains pretty much amounted to the same thing,
well almost. I was pretty much assuming Man City would win all theirs.
Of course that might not happen either, but I just thought the 6-1 on or whatever
made it look like too much of a formality.

When a team has a winning run they can often look invincible at least until they get
beat that is, when they look suddenly look very fallible.

The return of Toure is what worries me most but I not really an expert on the Man City
team, or indeed any team lol.

Any how a few thing in my favour, City may see the winning post and get hit by nerves.
Also I assume McCarthy is playing, he was absent when Everton lost to Palace.
Also a draw is enough for to scupper Man City.

Will just have to wait and see, I want to watch the match but I usually bring bad luck to
the team I want to win!

DeLorean
28/04/2014, 10:16 PM
I don't think there was much of a bubble to burst, Liverpool winning the league and
they winning their remaining gains pretty much amounted to the same thing, well almost.

There's a massive difference. Liverpool were 1/6 to win the league, but were only something like 7/10 to beat Chelsea. They'll probably be something like 2/5 to beat Palace and 1/4 to beat Newcastle, depending on the circumstances. Therefore if you backed Liverpool to win those three games I think it works out at about 2/1... which is obviously seen as far less of a formality than the 1/6 you were offered for Liverpool winning the title. Added to the fact thay they had already won eleven on the spin and were aiming to do what was never done before, well it just made it seem all the more unlikely. Despite that, they could still very easily win the league, hence Paddy Power and co playing it safe with their stingy odds of 1/6 before the Chelsea game.

tricky_colour
29/04/2014, 1:40 AM
There's a massive difference. Liverpool were 1/6 to win the league, but were only something like 7/10 to beat Chelsea. They'll probably be something like 2/5 to beat Palace and 1/4 to beat Newcastle, depending on the circumstances. Therefore if you backed Liverpool to win those three games I think it works out at about 2/1... which is obviously seen as far less of a formality than the 1/6 you were offered for Liverpool winning the title. Added to the fact thay they had already won eleven on the spin and were aiming to do what was never done before, well it just made it seem all the more unlikely. Despite that, they could still very easily win the league, hence Paddy Power and co playing it safe with their stingy odds of 1/6 before the Chelsea game.

OK I take you point about there being a difference between winning all three game and winning the league.

However... you seem to have made the case for me!!

If there were 2-1 to win all those 3 games then they should have been about 2-1 to win the league because the two amount to
the very same thing.

OK maybe I am getting rather confused with all the odds, but what I am saying is I would never have put £5 on Liverpool to
win the league in order to get just £1 back That seemed a very poor return, putting £2 on to get £1 back or even £3 to get £1
back seemed more realistic, but £5? That seemed ridiculous.

I think what happened is a lot of people thought they were unbeatable and just piled the money on pushing the odds to
a ridiculous level. I agree with you about hem having won eleven on the spin being nearly a record, which was likely to end
however unfortunately some people don't see it like that, they just see the 11 wins and think it will go on forever.

The warning signs were in the Norwich? match, I think they won 2-3 hardly an entirely convincing scoreline,
hence I was worried and rightly so.

Had I not already backed Liverpool I would have been tempted to back Man City at that point, I think they were 3-1
which I thought was good value.

I always like backing long shots rather than 'dead certs' because I know from experience that what is
billed as a dead cert before a horse-race for example, often turns out to a dead loss once the race starts!!!

Gamblers tend to have a herd mentality, they see everyone is backing a horse and think it is a sure thing
and everyone piles in making it look even more of a certainty, at least until the race starts that is, and that
sickly looking animal plodding along at the back looks anything like a winner.

Anyway we will find out soon enough who wins the title, hopefully Coleman, McCarthy and McGeady
can do me a favour and scupper City's title hopes.

DeLorean
29/04/2014, 7:26 AM
OK I take you point about there being a difference between winning all three game and winning the league.

However... you seem to have made the case for me!!

If there were 2-1 to win all those 3 games then they should have been about 2-1 to win the league because the two amount to the very same thing.

That's like saying the odds for Chelsea winning all their games next season, and Chelsea winning the league should be the same, as it amounts to the same thing. Obviously not as dramatic but you see the point. Anyway, Liverpool didn't even need to win all three, they only needed two wins and a draw to be sure. It's also ignoring the fact that City, at the time, had five games they needed to win. That was a massive safety net for your bet on Liverpool winning the league and still is, even with the three games they still need to win.

Bungle
29/04/2014, 7:37 AM
I think City will drop points at Everton, but if they do I'm unsure about whether Liverpool can beat Palace. They looked absolutely shot against Chelsea. Suarez was running on fumes.

Well done Seamus and well deserved. I still think that Zabaleta is the best right back in the world, so the fact Seamus was considered better than him says it all.

DeLorean
29/04/2014, 7:52 AM
Exactly, and the inclusions of Cech, Kompany and probably even Gerrard show that Coleman had to be at least twice as good as him to get selected.

Crosby87
29/04/2014, 1:45 PM
Yes he is in good Kompany.

Bungle
29/04/2014, 2:53 PM
Exactly, and the inclusions of Cech, Kompany and probably even Gerrard show that Coleman had to be at least twice as good as him to get selected.

I think Gerrard has had a great season and probably deserves it, even if it might be a bit of a sentimental choice by players and the media. I think Kompany is a brilliant player and a great captain, but how he is in the team I'll never know. Cech is a great keeper, but I'd have Begovic and De Gea over him this season.

Is it just me or is Begovic the best keeper in the league? If he was playing with one of the so called top clubs, he'd be lauded as a great keeper.

Charlie Darwin
29/04/2014, 3:13 PM
De Gea is the best keeper in the league for me. I don't think it's even close.

BonnieShels
29/04/2014, 3:24 PM
I'd agree with you Charlie.

Begovic is widely recognised around the wider footballing community as being a magnificent keeper.

Utd were touted as a destination before De Gea popped up.

DeLorean
29/04/2014, 6:02 PM
Yeah I think Liverpool had their eye on Begovic as well but opted with Mignolet in the end. Fine keeper for sure. I agree with your view on Kompany as well Bungle, he's usually a top player but to be honest you could make an excellent bloopers video out of his performances this season. I think Gerrard's performances have been magnified out of all proportion due to Liverpool doing so well.

Crosby87
29/04/2014, 6:38 PM
I had Filet Mignolet one time in a steak house.

BonnieShels
29/04/2014, 6:46 PM
Yeah I think Liverpool had their eye on Begovic as well but opted with Mignolet in the end. Fine keeper for sure.

YES

I agree with your view on Kompany as well Bungle, he's usually a top player but to be honest you could make an excellent bloopers video out of his performances this season.

Yes

I think Gerrard's performances have been magnified out of all proportion due to Liverpool doing so well.

Yes

tricky_colour
29/04/2014, 8:55 PM
I had Filet Mignolet one time in a steak house.

There was story on this forum about some irish? football who complained his Halibut steak steak tasted of fish?

Anyone who it was or has a link?

Charlie Darwin
29/04/2014, 9:17 PM
There was story on this forum about some irish? football who complained his Halibut steak steak tasted of fish?

Anyone who it was or has a link?
You'll find all the answers you need in the Conor Sammon thread.

tricky_colour
29/04/2014, 11:58 PM
You'll find all the answers you need in the Conor Sammon thread.

Ah yea. I though it was that one but I had a quick look but didn't see it, will try again now I know.

Of course it is appropriator it is the thread of someone with such a fishy name.

Charlie Darwin
30/04/2014, 1:49 AM
Ah yea. I though it was that one but I had a quick look but didn't see it, will try again now I know.

Of course it is appropriator it is the thread of someone with such a fishy name.
You may have missed the joke, Tricko.

tricky_colour
30/04/2014, 3:10 AM
You may have missed the joke, Tricko.

Almost, however I found the joke after a somewhat fruitless search of the Conor Sammon
thread.

My laughter was not prolonged :)

tricky_colour
01/05/2014, 12:44 AM
Anyway as it was not Sammon anyone know who the story was about, I think I found the story
by clicking on a link in a thread here but I am not sure which Irish player it was about.
I tried looking but there were a lot of threads to search through.

I think the gist of it was some Irish player did not know what to order from a menu
and a more senior player suggested the Haddock Steak, so I was looking at threads
about 'thick' Irish players or more senior Irish, the more senior person might not even have been
Irish.

I was thinking of perhaps Nial Quinn or John O Shea for the senior player, I don't want to
list the Irish players I consider a bit thick or rather uncultured, however I think we all have
an idea of players most would consider rather 'uncultured'.

I think the thread was from 3-4 weeks ago.

tetsujin1979
07/05/2014, 11:17 PM
Player of the Season and Player's Player of the Season at Everton: http://www.evertonfc.com/history/coleman-is-player-of-the-season

Charlie Darwin
07/05/2014, 11:38 PM
Hugely deserved. I think Zabaleta is still the best right-back in England, as his masterclass tonight showed, but Coleman has the capability to pass him out and be one of the best.

ArdeeBhoy
13/05/2014, 6:52 PM
http://footballrepublic.ie/seamus-coleman-deserves-england-call-up/

SkStu
13/05/2014, 8:35 PM
http://footballrepublic.ie/seamus-coleman-deserves-england-call-up/

I think Gareth Bale has more reason to feel aggrieved at his lack of a call up.

Charlie Darwin
13/05/2014, 8:53 PM
I think Gareth Bale has more reason to feel aggrieved at his lack of a call up.
Not sure he can have too many complaints after he snubbed the England Olympic team.

geysir
14/05/2014, 10:39 AM
Well, they missed out on Bale but the English did manage to grab Leighton Baines.

DeLorean
14/05/2014, 10:43 AM
Not sure he can have too many complaints after he snubbed the England Olympic team.

Actually he was ridiculed for not snubbing them if I remember right, but ended up pulling out through injury anyway... and then not actually being injured when the games began!

TheOneWhoKnocks
26/06/2014, 7:09 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2671030/Seamus-Coleman-sign-Everton-contract-extension-snub-Arsenal.html

I don't know if the interest from Arsenal or Man Utd is concrete, but if it is, it is insanity to sign a new contract at Everton; the goal of every footballer should be to play at the highest possible level. He is never going to get Champions League football at Everton and he is never going to win trophies at Everton. It would be good for Irish football if he moved to a big club but c'est la vie... the cycle continues. Stay in your comfort zone.

Diarmo
26/06/2014, 9:19 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2671030/Seamus-Coleman-sign-Everton-contract-extension-snub-Arsenal.html

I don't know if the interest from Arsenal or Man Utd is concrete, but if it is, it is insanity to sign a new contract at Everton; the goal of every footballer should be to play at the highest possible level. He is never going to get Champions League football at Everton and he is never going to win trophies at Everton. It would be good for Irish football if he moved to a big club but c'est la vie... the cycle continues. Stay in your comfort zone.

Jaysus, you're a dreary sort.

TheOneWhoKnocks
26/06/2014, 9:39 PM
Dreary for wanting our players to play at the highest level? This lad will be turning 27 shortly after the completion of the first year of his new contract. How many chances does he think he's going to get to compete for trophies and play Champions League football?

Luke Shaw is eight years younger than Coleman and he is moving to Man Utd for 30 mil. Coleman will approach 30, look at Leighton Baines, and might regret his lack of ambition.

Everton are not strong enough to qualify for the CL or win trophies. I just wonder about the thought process like. If I was in his position I would be loyal to myself and not Everton.

DannyInvincible
26/06/2014, 10:08 PM

That's a bit of a leap in logic. Aren't you judging someone prematurely yet again there without full knowledge of the facts? If you don't know whether or not the rumoured interest is concrete - and it hasn't been verified by any source - how on earth can you condemn Coleman for failing to entertain it? Maybe he's not entertaining anything because there's nothing to entertain at present. You don't actually know if he's been turning down chances to play for the likes of Arsenal or Manchester United. The alleged interest sounds like typical media speculation; you'll note the publication... If Arsenal were actually chasing Coleman, the story wouldn't be tagged onto the end of a Daily Mail article about him signing a new contract with Everton.

Besides, Everton are a club that look to be going places under Martinez. Insanity? It's called security. Insanity would be turning down a lucrative upgrade and extension on your contract with no certainty of a viable alternative in the pipeline.

Charlie Darwin
27/06/2014, 9:02 AM

It's very easy to sit on the internet and accuse other people of lacking ambition. Some might even say that's your comfort zone. I suspect Coleman is an ambitious player who feels his ambitions can be met by Everton in the short term and also that signing a new contract doesn't in any way mean he won't be able to get a move to a higher level, considering he was already had something like three years to run on his existing one.

Morbo
27/06/2014, 2:46 PM
Insanity would be turning down a lucrative upgrade and extension on your contract with no certainty of a viable alternative in the pipeline.

Tbf he is probably the best RB in the premiership, doubt he would have a problem in getting one of the top 4 to come in for him which is the only reason he is being offer a lucrative contract at Everton as they know full well one of the top-tier teams would be happy to have him.

I have to agree with TheOneWhoKnocks in that I'm a bit disappointed to see him sign a 5 year deal with Everton as I feel he is good enough to take the step up and play for one of the top teams regularly competing in the CL.

DannyInvincible
27/06/2014, 3:18 PM
Tbf he is probably the best RB in the premiership, doubt he would have a problem in getting one of the top 4 to come in for him which is the only reason he is being offer a lucrative contract at Everton as they know full well one of the top-tier teams would be happy to have him.

I have to agree with TheOneWhoKnocks in that I'm a bit disappointed to see him sign a 5 year deal with Everton as I feel he is good enough to take the step up and play for one of the top teams regularly competing in the CL.

I don't doubt his talent. Just saying that if clubs like Arsenal or United were actually chasing after him, we'd surely have heard a bit more about it than from a Daily Mail piece that mentions the supposed interest in him as a secondary element to add a bit of juice to the story. I'm sure he'd give serious consideration to any offer from a bigger club and wouldn't just pass up the opportunity if it arose. Besides, as Charlie says, signing a new contract doesn't necessarily shut off the possibility of a bigger club coming in for him in the future; he had another three years to run anyway. If they deem him good enough and they're serious enough about him, he'll get his move. He's improving his lot for now and I think it would be unfair to accuse him of lacking ambition.