PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Charlie Darwin
21/10/2010, 8:36 PM
i might've mentioned it on this thread... does coleman have the pace? i've watched him only a bit. while waltzing wonderfully past the liverpool players the other day i didn't get the sense that he had the raw speed necessary for playing as a winger.
He's quicker than he looks, but I think he has more acceleration than raw pace, which is not a bad quality for a winger to have. You can see it in the way he takes on players in fits and spurts but is fully capable of outflanking them too.

R5 Live was saying the result flattered Spurs and that Inter took their foot off the pedal completely. Still, Spuds had 10 men so at least some credit is due surely?
Nah. Inter sat back and let them have the ball for the entire second half. Spurs couldn't offer anything in attack and Inter didn't seem interested in hassling them for the ball. Bear in mind they had a three-goal lead going into injury time.

ken foree
21/10/2010, 8:38 PM
He's quicker than he looks, but I think he has more acceleration than raw pace, which is not a bad quality for a winger to have. You can see it in the way he takes on players in fits and spurts but is fully capable of outflanking them too.

good enough if so charlie. too many of our players are lacking in the speed department.

shellyriver
21/10/2010, 9:27 PM
[QUOTE=SwanVsDalton;1414883]

...Stephen Kelly.

Naw, I was thinking of Gary Kelly?!

He's certainly making a good case but he ain't a magic bullet. Take more than devil-may-care winger to change our mentality and cure our attacking ills. Just look at McGeady. Would give him a second-half run personally, and more exposure during the Celtic Cup.

Magic bullet's -- there for werewolves? Whose mentality -- Trap's - you're having a giraffe. Simply put, he's performance can begin an organic transformation, based on playing ability. Like Fahy -- instead of utterly gormless Whelan and limited Andrews -- the difference is the players on the pitch. McGeady's good, he simply needs assistance -- which he get's very little as matters stand.

My point is simply Coleman as matter's stand deserves a run-out with Ireland -- considering his career arch its merited.

Charlie Darwin
21/10/2010, 10:05 PM
I'm sure he will get a run out in the upcoming friendlies. We don't have another competitive game for 5 or 6 months and who knows what options we'll have available then. Coleman could be the best player in the world by then.

paul_oshea
22/10/2010, 10:34 AM
i might've mentioned it on this thread... does coleman have the pace? i've watched him only a bit. while waltzing wonderfully past the liverpool players the other day i didn't get the sense that he had the raw speed necessary for playing as a winger.

Ive been told(by lads who played GAA with him) that he hasn't the quick burst of acceleration(key in Gaelic football really) but that is fast over distance.

centre mid
22/10/2010, 11:32 AM
I'll take delivery over out-an-out pace any day. Walcott & McGeady, both terrifying when running at you but centre halfs and keepers alike love it when they "cross" a ball. Colemans not a winger anyway.

SwanVsDalton
22/10/2010, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=SwanVsDalton;1414883]

...Stephen Kelly.

Naw, I was thinking of Gary Kelly?!

He's certainly making a good case but he ain't a magic bullet. Take more than devil-may-care winger to change our mentality and cure our attacking ills. Just look at McGeady. Would give him a second-half run personally, and more exposure during the Celtic Cup.

Magic bullet's -- there for werewolves? Whose mentality -- Trap's - you're having a giraffe. Simply put, he's performance can begin an organic transformation, based on playing ability. Like Fahy -- instead of utterly gormless Whelan and limited Andrews -- the difference is the players on the pitch. McGeady's good, he simply needs assistance -- which he get's very little as matters stand.

My point is simply Coleman as matter's stand deserves a run-out with Ireland -- considering his career arch its merited.

Not saying it isn't merited, think we agree he deserves a run. As for the rest - excuse me?

ken foree
22/10/2010, 2:13 PM
i would agree centre-mid. but surely to have both pace and delivery is what's required at international level..! or should be. bar mcgeady we seem stuck in 2nd gear for long periods of games, almost unfit compared to the athleticism of our opposition. i suppose it's wishful thinking, wanting too much for coleman to be the complete package.

ken foree
22/10/2010, 2:19 PM
Ive been told(by lads who played GAA with him) that he hasn't the quick burst of acceleration(key in Gaelic football really) but that is fast over distance.

interesting paul, the quick change of direction in gaa seems vital indeed but it's been an age since i played that game and it's become a lot more athletic from what i see of it. just hope he doesn't do an o'shea (no pun intended) and does a dennis irwin instead. although if he loses some creative impetus and still becomes half as good as irwin i'd be delighted (ok but not a right-footed left-back)

Charlie Darwin
22/10/2010, 2:24 PM
i would agree centre-mid. but surely to have both pace and delivery is what's required at international level..! or should be. bar mcgeady we seem stuck in 2nd gear for long periods of games, almost unfit compared to the athleticism of our opposition. i suppose it's wishful thinking, wanting too much for coleman to be the complete package.
It's not fitness, we're just run ragged because the opposition always dominates possession. Same thing happened to the Germans against Spain - there are very few teams that can survive with possession stats like ours.

Junior
22/10/2010, 3:14 PM
Just read through the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread. Its amazing how quickly things change (or fans perspectives at least). I thought Coleman was lining himself up as a serious contender for a place in the squad as full back cover? It appears that almost all the comments of late are on Colemans attacking capabilities, energy, ball delivery and the quotes from Moyes on his possible defensive frailties have meant that its a wide midfielder spot he'll be covering now!

I know he played wide midfield for Everton in the derby at the weekend but is he now playing there regularly for Everton or is he playing right back? Need to remember its still only a handful of games he has played in the PL but definitely would like to see him get 45 minutes against Norway. If the likes of Delaney got the chance against Colombia then Seamie is certainly worthy of a spot in this forthcoming friendly.

ken foree
22/10/2010, 3:33 PM
It's not fitness, we're just run ragged because the opposition always dominates possession. Same thing happened to the Germans against Spain - there are very few teams that can survive with possession stats like ours.

getting off topic here charlie but i beg to differ, i'm talking about the FIRST halves of games - we look wayyy behind the pace. i blame the drink...

The Fly
22/10/2010, 4:03 PM
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2010/10/22/howard-kendall-everton-fc-defender-seamus-coleman-can-follow-example-of-gareth-bale-100252-27523022/

paul_oshea
22/10/2010, 4:14 PM
where does howard kendall say that??? the article mentions nothing about howard kendall?!

seanfhear
22/10/2010, 4:46 PM
Did I read somewhere today that Leon Osman is going to be out(injured) for while. That has got to increase Colemans chances of game time.

Sullivinho
22/10/2010, 5:01 PM
Did I read somewhere today that Leon Osman is going to be out(injured) for while. That has got to increase Colemans chances of game time.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11671_6460637,00.html

Six weeks with an ankle injury, apparently.

The Fly
30/10/2010, 3:51 PM
Started for Everton today against Stoke, but was replaced by Louis Saha on 62 mins.

paul_oshea
30/10/2010, 4:03 PM
He was replaced last week but not as early...didnt seem to be mentioned that much in this game.

SkStu
06/11/2010, 2:43 PM
having an absolute stormer here in the 1st half from right wing against his old club Blackpool. Has created a number of chances, won a lot of corners, nearly scored with his left following a great run into the box, smashing crossfield pass to release Cahill early in the half too. Scintillating so far.

SkStu
06/11/2010, 3:08 PM
just scored the equaliser. Lucky enough i suppose but kept the strike low and on target.

Predator
06/11/2010, 3:35 PM
Great to hear. Perhaps Trap may be tempted to try him out on the right wing after this game.

tricky_colour
06/11/2010, 3:44 PM
didn't see the goal, some blame seemed to go the the keeper, radio said fierce shot went under keeper IIRC.

SkStu
06/11/2010, 3:49 PM
yep, the keeper didnt do well. Radio description is accurate.

He has tired over the last 15 minutes.

Stuttgart88
06/11/2010, 4:34 PM
BBC TV summariser called him "impressive" and said he "terrorised" Blackpool's full back throughout. Nice to hear.

tetsujin1979
06/11/2010, 4:44 PM
Complete disgrace he's not in the squad, how can Trappatoni justify his salary when he's not watching the top up and coming talent in the game?
Only the third goalscorer in the Premier League, clearly he's a step above Kelly and Foley, and possibly O'Shea.

<EDIT>

Oh wait, nevermind

Closed Account
06/11/2010, 5:06 PM
Complete disgrace he's not in the squad, how can Trappatoni justify his salary when he's not watching the top up and coming talent in the game?
Only the third goalscorer in the Premier League, clearly he's a step above Kelly and Foley, and possibly O'Shea.

<EDIT>

Oh wait, nevermind
Ha ha, I don't know if this is genuine or some elaborate wind up.

The Fly
06/11/2010, 5:21 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11671_6488444,00.html

Everton manager David Moyes believes Seamus Coleman can make a similar impact to man of the moment Gareth Bale.

Bale is dominating the headlines after two world-class performances against Inter Milan in the UEFA Champions League, playing on the left wing rather than his original position of left-back.

Coleman has been pushed into a more attacking role on the right flank this season, rather than his natural full-back role, and is set to feature against Blackpool in the Premier League on Saturday.

The 22-year-old Irishman had a spell on loan with the Tangerines last term, playing in nine league games as Ian Holloway's men earned promotion via the play-offs.

Moyes said: "Seamus has done great. He is getting games for us now, albeit probably not in his right position. We have played him wide on the right when he is a right-back. But the experience he is getting - there is a similarity to Gareth Bale. Bale is playing wide left but is really a left-back. It is getting him the games, there is a lot of competition at right-back here. I think it has been good for his development and in time when he does step back, hopefully he will have learned from it."

Moyes believes his spell at Bloomfield Road was of great benefit to Coleman and the Toffees boss hopes he can get back to his best after a recent dip.

"Blackpool played a big part in his development because he went there and played in a team which was successful," he added. "He went right through to the (play-off) final. He has done fine but he has just had a little dip in the last week or two and we will need to assess exactly where we think he is."

strangeirish
06/11/2010, 7:41 PM
http://www.mysoccerplace.net/video/blackpool-vs-everton-22

Match highlights.

Predator
06/11/2010, 8:07 PM
Séamus got lucky with the shot, but he did well to create the opportunity. He's a battler. Everton were very poor for the second Blackpool goal.

AlaskaFox
06/11/2010, 9:03 PM
Think I'd rather see him at right back for us. It'd be hard for him to displace Duff/McGeady/Lawrence/Hunt on the wing.

gastric
06/11/2010, 9:10 PM
Think I'd rather see him at right back for us. It'd be hard for him to displace Duff/McGeady/Lawrence/Hunt on the wing.

Alaska, Trap will never play him at right back, his attacking style would give Trap a heart attack. However, as I have said on here before, as fans, we would love it!

AlaskaFox
06/11/2010, 9:32 PM
Alaska, Trap will never play him at right back, his attacking style would give Trap a heart attack. However, as I have said on here before, as fans, we would love it!

I know, but we'd be so good going forward. Feck this defending lark.

irishfan86
06/11/2010, 9:43 PM
To be honest, Lawrence does so much work helping out the fullback, I think Coleman could play at right full. Would not be comfortable with Coleman playing behind the likes of McGeady though.

Predator
06/11/2010, 9:49 PM
Alaska, Trap will never play him at right back, his attacking style would give Trap a heart attack. However, as I have said on here before, as fans, we would love it!Trap has stated that he would like Coleman to play full back for Ireland, rather than midfield.

shellyriver
06/11/2010, 11:11 PM
None so blind as those who cannot see. As per comments previously, Coleman is Ireland's most attacking player. Let's hope he can keep it going. A real prospect and Ireland need players like him.

gastric
07/11/2010, 2:53 AM
Trap has stated that he would like Coleman to play full back for Ireland, rather than midfield.

'Would' being the operative word. Trap would see Coleman's attacking style as being too risky. He likes his defenders to play a conservative game and it will be interesting to see how he employs Seamus in the near future.

Charlie Darwin
07/11/2010, 3:15 AM
If he didn't see him as a full back then he would have said as much. He's had no problem telling the likes of Fahey he's not a central midfielder.

edit: Seamus given man of the match in the Star (highest rating)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/161914/Blackpool-2-Everton-2-Seamus-Coleman-s-got-scoring-Blues/

tricky_colour
07/11/2010, 5:15 AM
If he didn't see him as a full back then he would have said as much. He's had no problem telling the likes of Fahey he's not a central midfielder.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/161914/Blackpool-2-Everton-2-Seamus-Coleman-s-got-scoring-Blues/

Becky from Redhill, Surrey was rated a 9, I thought the 5 for Kate Brighton was unduly harsh, probably not tracking back.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/starbabes/13471/Becky/3/#babe

gastric
07/11/2010, 5:58 AM

Charlie, the proof will be in the upcoming friendly. I bet Coleman gets to warm the bench, and at best, plays the last five minutes in midfield! In saying that I would love to see him start, but again Trap is too conservative to take any risks.

Adrock
07/11/2010, 2:34 PM
The perception of Coleman as a full back seems much the same as with Gareth Bale, he can do a job there but its a waste of his ability in a sense - he looked alright as a fullback but in his current position he really looks the business. Anyway we've got plenty of decent rightbacks as it is. Its just accomodating him with Mcgeady and Reid possibly in the squad. Maybe the answer is to stick Mcgeady out left like Spartak did, but then when his inclination seemd to be to dribble sideways accross the pitch to the other flank (sometimes making it half way) this rather defeats the purpose. Maybe Coleman could play right sided central midfielder.......thats the kind of thing its worth having friendly matches for to experiment with.

tommy_c12000
07/11/2010, 3:36 PM
Personally I would like to seem him play at right back. Coleman teaming up with McGeady down the right side is a mouthwatering prospect. Poor Glen Whelan would have a nightmare trying to cover for them though! Full backs should be Coleman and Cunningham for Norway.

Predator
07/11/2010, 8:14 PM
Moyes is delighted with Coleman
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/11/07/coleman-display-pleases-boss

Seamus has done terrific. His overall performance was very good and he's been at that level for a few games now. He's learning about his game all the time.

rebelmusic
08/11/2010, 9:15 AM
Could be a winger full time

"Everton youngster Seamus Coleman has revealed that he is enjoying playing further up the right flank.

The 22-year-old Irishman is a full-back by trade but Toffees manager David Moyes has utilised him as a winger in recent games.

Coleman has been in good form of late and, on his return to Blackpool at the weekend, the club where he spent a spell on loan last season, he scored in a 2-2 draw.

On his more attack-minded role, he said: "It's a different position, but I really enjoy it.

"You have to play where the boss says, but I'm getting game time, which is great.

"I've had a few games at Everton now, but I know I'm not a regular yet. I just need to keep impressing."

Coleman, formerly of Sligo Rovers, played nine times in the Championship for the Tangerines last term as they won promotion via the play-offs.

He did not celebrate his effort at Bloomfield Road on Saturday, and was delighted by the reception he received from the home fans.

"It was a great reception," he told Everton's official website. "The fans were chanting just before kick-off which means that I must have done alright when I was here, so it was good.

"It was always going to be special coming back and I was looking forward to it and to get a goal was an extra bonus for me."

On not celebrating his goal, he remarked: "I wouldn't be a big celebrator anyway but I didn't want to rub it in their faces because they treated me well when I was here.

"But obviously I was chuffed inside."

The point leaves Everton 11th in the Premier League and their next outing is a home tie with Bolton on Wednesday."

tricky_colour
14/11/2010, 10:57 PM
Joint top rating Sky Sport against Arsenal

theworm2345
15/11/2010, 12:55 AM
Could be a winger full time
Can he play in the center?

tricky_colour
15/11/2010, 5:35 PM
No reason to believe he could not play there, he seems a decent passer of the ball, also he seems to play more left midfield than leftwing.
I have not seen a great deal of him but he does not seem to one of those wingers who hug the line, say more like Duff.
He seems to get more inside, this could be due to the fact he seems to have the pace to get past his player and get round him (bit like Bale perhaps). He seems pretty much a competent in all aspects of the game. He was switched back to left back also in his last game.
That is good versitility

Charlie Darwin
15/11/2010, 6:33 PM
He plays on the right.

tricky_colour
15/11/2010, 8:06 PM
He plays on the right.

I wondered who would be first to spot that.
When I say right I mean left, and vice versa, I always get them confused, apart from in politics.

Crosby87
15/11/2010, 11:08 PM
I look forward to the day Meyler, Coleman, McCarthy and Clark all take the field for us at the same time. Bets on if it ever happens?

Sullivinho
15/11/2010, 11:31 PM
I look forward to the day Meyler, Coleman, McCarthy and Clark all take the field for us at the same time. Bets on if it ever happens?

Personally, I can't wait for the day these two feature in the same (senior) Irish midfield. Having Coleman and Clark in the vicinity wouldn't exactly weaken that side either. :)