PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

tetsujin1979
04/11/2013, 9:21 AM
Unfortunately for Coleman players aren't as honest as he is.they don't have that gaa background stop that soccer sh1te playacting attitude.

I do feel unless he changes he will cost us one yet. Hopefully it won't be too important of a game.

Everything I've seen so far of him has been pretty accurate.
how very zen. If I see it, does that make it true? Conversley, if I haven't seen it, is it false?

DeLorean
04/11/2013, 9:24 AM
It was Vertonghen in both cases. Vertonghen's foul on Coleman was more clearcut really but either could have been given.

Crosby87
07/11/2013, 11:43 AM
Mark Lawrenson wants Colemaniac to improve D:

Seamus Coleman has rightly received plenty of plaudits over the past 12 months.
But if the last few weeks have shown anything, it is that he still has work to do on the defensive side of his game.
I thought he was lucky not to concede a penalty when tangling with Tottenham Hotspur’s Jan Vertonghen on Sunday.
Old pros such as myself looked at the incident and probably thought ‘bloody hell, he has hardly touched him, that’s not a penalty’.
But the rules are different these days. It’s impossible to touch opposition players these days inside the penalty area.
Coleman has to be careful. He has been caught out a few times for penalties already this season, and that’s something he needs to eradicate from his game.
Coleman has to learn to be a nuisance in the area. He has room for improvement and it’s a case of keeping his concentration.
With every defender, there is a desperation to get the ball but you can’t always get there, and unless you are 100% sure you can then there’s always a chance you could commit a foul.
Given all that, the tangle between the same two players in the Tottenham area in the second half should have also been a penalty. But the game could have turned on that first goal.
A draw was the right result but perhaps showed Roberto Martinez’s side they still have a way to go before they can be considered top-four challengers.
I doff my cap to Tottenham for their first-half performance. They had done their homework, pressing Everton high up the pitch and aware Gareth Barry likes to come deep and play the ball through midfield.
Everton didn’t pass the ball well or keep it under pressure, and that was down to Spurs as much as Martinez’s men.
However, Tottenham created very little, and that was a positive from Everton’s point of view. Then came a role reversal in the second half, and I reckon the home side had the better chances.
Martinez has kept a somewhat settled side this season, but I wouldn’t take that as a sign those in reserve aren’t good enough.
The quality outside of the first XI at Everton has improved and what it has done has incentivised the starting line-up whereas in the past they perhaps thought they could get away with a few iffy games. That’s not the case now as numbers and quality have improved.

paul_oshea
07/11/2013, 11:58 AM
how very zen. If I see it, does that make it true? Conversley, if I haven't seen it, is it false?

No just that i am more observant :P

Ill point you to the thing about bookies i suggested to geysir, and then the oneill and keane post on the other thread later on that evening :D

Charlie Darwin
30/11/2013, 3:06 PM
Just got his second of the season to put Everton 2-0 up against Stoke. Haven't seen it so can't comment.

From BBC: More good work from Gerard Deulofeu, more goals for Everton. The Spaniard carries the ball down the left, angles a cross in and when Gareth Barry again gets a touch inside the area, Seamus Coleman arrives to slice a shot back across and into the top corner. There was an element of fortune about that finish, but he gave Asmir Begovic no chance all the same.

tricky_colour
30/11/2013, 3:25 PM
A goal is a goal, not seen it either

SkStu
30/11/2013, 3:36 PM
Watching it here. Beautiful move down the left by Everton, ball chipped back and touched on by Osman, came to Coleman who was bustling in from the right and he volleyed it off the side of his boot. Complete slice, took an age to go in.

McCarthy has been imperious too. This Everton team is a bit good. Go on the Toffees!!

DannyInvincible
30/11/2013, 3:49 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/824922530.gif

tricky_colour
30/11/2013, 3:57 PM
Skill fully placed in the top corner

tricky_colour
01/12/2013, 2:17 AM
According to the reliable :wink: Independent Arsenal are after Coleman, they get their info from an Italian site who say from "British sources".

Secondo fonti inglesi, l'Everton sta tenendo d'occhio Joao Aurelio, difensore in forza al Nacional. Il giocatore è stato anche fatto osservare dal tecnico Roberto Martinez, dato che Seamus Coleman sembra destinato a prendere il posto di Sagna all'Arsenal.

According to British sources, Everton are keeping an eye Joao Aurelio, defender pursuant to Nacional. The player has also been pointed out by coach Roberto Martinez, as Seamus Coleman looks set to take the place of Sagna Arsenal.

So don't know how reliable that is.

Acornvilla
01/12/2013, 5:53 AM
Seamus Goalman!.....

DannyInvincible
01/12/2013, 9:26 AM
According to the reliable :wink: Independent Arsenal are after Coleman, they get their info from an Italian site who say from "British sources".

Secondo fonti inglesi, l'Everton sta tenendo d'occhio Joao Aurelio, difensore in forza al Nacional. Il giocatore è stato anche fatto osservare dal tecnico Roberto Martinez, dato che Seamus Coleman sembra destinato a prendere il posto di Sagna all'Arsenal.

According to British sources, Everton are keeping an eye Joao Aurelio, defender pursuant to Nacional. The player has also been pointed out by coach Roberto Martinez, as Seamus Coleman looks set to take the place of Sagna Arsenal.

So don't know how reliable that is.

He signed a five-and-a-half-year contract last December so Arsenal would probably have to fork out for him if interested. I can't see the alleged interest mentioned anywhere else on the net other than on this transfer gossip site: http://arsenal-news.com/wenger-wants-to-make-shock-arsenal-buy-2/12385

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is considering Everton right-back Seamus Coleman as possible replacement for Bacary Sagna.

The 30-year-old France international has continued to deflect the north London club’s attempts to keep him and looks set to either join Paris St-Germain or Monaco leaving Wenger in search of a replacement.

The Republic of Ireland defender has been monitored by us for some time.

Coleman already is an experienced defender with more than 100 appearances for the Goodison club and often likes to attack down the right flank, given the chance.

There are better options out there

tricky_colour
01/12/2013, 12:44 PM
Not sure if Seamus would be keen to move either

Also a USA site are calling his goal the goal of the day!!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/11/everton-goal-stoke-city-gifs/

http://media.joe.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/colemangif.gif

http://s0.thejournal.ie/media/2013/11/824922530.gif

harry crumb
01/12/2013, 9:52 PM
Infectious player.

May not count for much, but top defender in Fantasy Football atm.

And I hope its never forgotten that he watched the Euros in Donegal.

elroy
08/12/2013, 12:54 PM
Linked with Arsenal in the papers today as a replacement for Sagna if he leaves.

tricky_colour
08/12/2013, 3:01 PM
Big game today teams like Everton have to take points off Arsenal or they will run away with the league.

tetsujin1979
08/12/2013, 3:28 PM
Big game today teams like Everton have to take points off Arsenal or they will run away with the league.
doesn't that go for every team, not just teams "like Everton"?

geysir
08/12/2013, 3:49 PM
Maybe Tricky has Everton down as one of the title contenders.

tommy_c12000
08/12/2013, 4:57 PM
How did Seamus and James play?

tricky_colour
08/12/2013, 5:23 PM
doesn't that go for every team, not just teams "like Everton"?

Well not really, certainly would not expect any team in the bottom half to take points off Arsenal.
Surprised Man City are still favourites, however their next match against Man City is make or break.
If Arsenal win they are 9 points clear of Man City and will look unstoppable, if they lose just 3 points clear
and catchable.

tricky_colour
08/12/2013, 5:29 PM
Maybe Tricky has Everton down as one of the title contenders.

Obviously :)

With Coleman and McCarthy the sky's the limit!
As I said if Man City beat Arsenal it gives a chance to Man City Liverpool Chelsea Everton and even Spurs at 66-1.
Everton have only lost one match this season so they must have a chance.

tricky_colour
08/12/2013, 5:39 PM
How did Seamus and James play?

Both played OK as did the whole team, Seamus was not too involved, a lot of play
was going down the left side, I felt they could have used Coleman more they don't
seem to pass to him though. He did have a shot which was not far off. Also he was
near the goal they conceded but there was not much he could have done about it.
Was a great equaliser from some young Spanish kid they have, there were struggling for a
goal before that.

Stuttgart88
08/12/2013, 6:40 PM
I saw it differently. Coleman was up and down the touch line all night and saw plenty of the ball. McCarthy looked confident and did a lot of unspectacular but important work. I think both did well in an excellent team performance by Everton

Charlie Darwin
08/12/2013, 6:50 PM
Was very impressed by Everton. I think they're possibly a couple of players short of being able to dominate games against top four opposition, but for long periods tonight they bossed Arsenal. McCarthy was excellent and Coleman was good, though his passing and general control was sloppy at times. It's a pity Darron Gibson did himself a mischief.

tricky_colour
08/12/2013, 7:35 PM
I saw it differently. Coleman was up and down the touch line all night and saw plenty of the ball. McCarthy looked confident and did a lot of unspectacular but important work. I think both did well in an excellent team performance by Everton

Yea I suppose he was more involved than I suggested but not in an eye catching spectacular way as you say it
was more of a team performance from Everton. think it was Barkley who stood out for Everton he got a 9
on sky sports, McCarthy 8 Coleman 7

tricky_colour
08/12/2013, 7:39 PM
Was very impressed by Everton. I think they're possibly a couple of players short of being able to dominate games against top four opposition, but for long periods tonight they bossed Arsenal. McCarthy was excellent and Coleman was good, though his passing and general control was sloppy at times. It's a pity Darron Gibson did himself a mischief.

Whilst Everton has posession they didn't seem to crate good chances with it at least not until the sub came on and scored. Aresnal look a lot more dangerous going forward they cut right through the Everton defense at times but then failed to put it in the net, the except for their one goal. They hit the bar late on too.

elroy
08/12/2013, 8:40 PM

Would agree with this assessment. Would prefer McCarthy to impose himself a bit more in the end, doesnt seem to demand the ball too often but having said that certainly is growing in stature at Everton, was his best performance for them that I have seen.

Crosby87
09/12/2013, 12:20 AM
Is Coleman the best right back in the EPL?

nigel-harps1954
09/12/2013, 12:32 AM
Seriously, why hasn't be been called up yet? Come on Hodgson, get the finger out...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ba-lhyRIMAAFdGn.png:large

Charlie Darwin
09/12/2013, 12:39 AM
Call him up Roy!

SkStu
09/12/2013, 12:53 AM
Roy Hodgson to managed England!

SkStu
09/12/2013, 12:59 AM
BTW caught the first 35 minutes only (had to go to mass) and Coleman and McCarthy were both silently effective. Everton were completely dominant in that period by the way though Barkley and Pienaar were the fulcrum of the attacking. McCarthy broke up Arsenal attacks and moved the ball on and Coleman defended very, very well (his first job) and had a couple of canters on the overlap to varying degrees of effectiveness.

Still haven't seen Gerard Deulofeu's goal. Heard it was good.

Charlie Darwin
09/12/2013, 1:03 AM
You switched off more or less exactly when Arsenal took control. They dominated from 35/40 minutes up until the half hour, then Everton took control back. I think Everton shaded possession in the end but not sure.

Deulofeu's goal was a cracker. Hit so hard the goalkeeper had no chance. It looked like it took a deflection but I suspect it just moved in the air.

DeLorean
10/12/2013, 8:36 AM
Everton had 56% possession, an amazing achievement at The Emirates really. To think they probably threw away six points in their first three games also, they could really be up there challenging.

paul_oshea
10/12/2013, 10:53 AM
An interesting stat also, along with that 56% but 11 of Evertons 23 goals have come from loanees. THe main difference between what martinez has done and Moyes is his knack for loan signings or late signings, getting McCarthy, Delafalou and Barry in near the window, and giving barkley and oviedo their chances has been key. Martinez always had Wigan performing well against the big teams it was the smaller ones around the lower half that were the problem. He still seems to have that problem, they drew with Palace 0-0 when you would really have expected them to pick up the full 3 points.

I think they will trail off towards the latter half but christmas will be a big test with the size of their squad and the quality of the bench that they have.

DeLorean
10/12/2013, 11:19 AM
An interesting stat also, along with that 56% but 11 of Evertons 23 goals have come from loanees. THe main difference between what martinez has done and Moyes is his knack for loan signings or late signings, getting McCarthy, Delafalou and Barry in near the window

Not to mention that Lukaku fella!

geysir
10/12/2013, 11:41 AM
An interesting stat also, along with that 56% but 11 of Evertons 23 goals have come from loanees. THe main difference between what martinez has done and Moyes is his knack for loan signings or late signings, getting McCarthy, Delafalou and Barry in near the window, and giving barkley and oviedo their chances has been key. Martinez always had Wigan performing well against the big teams it was the smaller ones around the lower half that were the problem. He still seems to have that problem, they drew with Palace 0-0 when you would really have expected them to pick up the full 3 points.

I think they will trail off towards the latter half but christmas will be a big test with the size of their squad and the quality of the bench that they have.
Martinez's overall record against top 6 teams is probably average for a bottom 1/3 club like Wigan. At the end of 2011 /12 season, Wigan had two big crucial winning performances against Man U and away at Arsenal, those games might have coloured your perception. Apart from those 2 games, Wigan usually got humped by the top teams.

paul_oshea
10/12/2013, 12:57 PM
I wasn't speaking only in terms of the Premiership.

DeLorean
10/12/2013, 1:22 PM
Martinez's overall record against top 6 teams is probably average for a bottom 1/3 club like Wigan. At the end of 2011 /12 season, Wigan had two big crucial winning performances against Man U and away at Arsenal, those games might have coloured your perception. Apart from those 2 games, Wigan usually got humped by the top teams.

I remember them coming from two down to beat Arsenal 3-2 late some other season as well and often got a result off Liverpool. For a team that were often in the bottom three for the majority of the season, I think they were more capable than most of performing against the big boys. They did take a fair few hidings in their time also though and had a terrible record against United bar that one crucial win.

geysir
10/12/2013, 3:57 PM
I wasn't speaking only in terms of the Premiership.
The Cup Final win was brilliant, but your statement still doesn't cut the mustard, not by a long shot. Wigan got regularly tanked by the big teams in the EPL. In 3 seasons against the top 6, played 36 W 5 D 6 L25.
It's an okay record but would it surprise you to be informed that Wolves who finished below Wigan 2010/11, have a much better record against the top 6 teams in that season?
Wolves W4 D1 Wigan w1 d4. Sunderland had a better record than them in 2012/13. Only in one season did Wigan have a slightly better record than their closest team in the table.
I don't think you have offered an example of Martinez's strengths as a manager, well naturally, seeing as your example is not supported -- cough ... cough - in the real world .
In the 2011/12 season where he won those big games against Man U and Arsenal to survive, his team were muck around end of December/January. They couldn't play the football he wanted them to play, they were doomed, no hope. He persisted (supportive board) and got them back on track in February. IMO, his crowning glory as a manager at Wigan came late in that season, was still playing their game in the most pressurised of situations against Arsenal & Man U, and prevailing. He probably could have managed to keep them up in the last season, but I'd say the cup run took its toll. He has a much better squad now to work with, I can see him staying in the top 6.

A N Mouse
10/12/2013, 8:39 PM
The Cup Final win was brilliant, but your statement still doesn't cut the mustard, not by a long shot. Wigan got regularly tanked by the big teams in the EPL. In 3 seasons against the top 6, played 36 W 5 D 6 L25.
It's an okay record but would it surprise you to be informed that Wolves who finished below Wigan 2010/11, have a much better record against the top 6 teams in that season?
Wolves W4 D1 Wigan w1 d4. Sunderland had a better record than them in 2012/13. Only in one season did Wigan have a slightly better record than their closest team in the table.
I don't think you have offered an example of Martinez's strengths as a manager, well naturally, seeing as your example is not supported -- cough ... cough - in the real world .
In the 2011/12 season where he won those big games against Man U and Arsenal to survive, his team were muck around end of December/January. They couldn't play the football he wanted them to play, they were doomed, no hope. He persisted (supportive board) and got them back on track in February. IMO, his crowning glory as a manager at Wigan came late in that season, was still playing their game in the most pressurised of situations against Arsenal & Man U, and prevailing. He probably could have managed to keep them up in the last season, but I'd say the cup run took its toll. He has a much better squad now to work with, I can see him staying in the top 6.

Or you could compare Wigan in the four seasons before Martinez - during which time they may have even finished in the top half of the table - with his reign.

Charlie Darwin
10/12/2013, 8:45 PM
That's not really a fair comparison considering Bruce had better players and more money to work with, plus he didn't have the same pressure to sell his best performers.

paul_oshea
11/12/2013, 11:49 AM

He had a win percentage in 2 seasons of 25% against top 6 opposition, to me thats pretty decent for a team like wigan. Against top half opposition again in the same 2 seaons he had 20 and 25% win ratio against top half oppossition. Similarly over both seasons his win and draw record was about 33%, so 1/3 of all games played against top 6 was a favourable result, to me thats pretty decent, I think in his last season he focused on winning a cup, the FA cup and everything went into that(granted their run wasnt that difficult), so id take 2/3 seasons-out of a possible 4, the last being the one they got relegated but won FA cup, so he wins a reprieve from me on that one - and the above isnt that bad, his overall record though was a bit of a suprise, I thought the draw/losses would be a lot closer, his loss ratio was quite high.

geysir
11/12/2013, 12:22 PM
He had a win percentage in 2 seasons of 25% against top 6 opposition, to me thats pretty decent for a team like wigan. Against top half opposition again in the same 2 seaons he had 20 and 25% win ratio against top half oppossition. Again to me thats pretty decent, I think in his last season he focused on winning a cup, the FA cup and everything went into that(granted their run wasnt that difficult), so id take 2/3 seasons-out of a possible 4, the last being the one they got relegated but won FA cup, so he wins a reprieve from me on that one - and the above isnt that bad, his overall record though was a bit of a suprise, I thought the draw/losses would be a lot closer, his loss ratio was quite high.
You do realise that I'm well used to a certain poster picking and choosing stats to support their argument and funnily enough you were the one other poster who appreciated the guile of the art of such deceit :)
Of course Paul you can ignore one season and select just two seasons out of 3 to slant figures to give you a decent looking 25% when 3 seasons gives 16% win ave. And you can hoop jump and waffle around the rest.
But unfortunately we just can't pick and choose which stats to select, that's just not a rational approach. And considering that other teams in same zone did better than Wigan against the top 6 teams, no one in their 'right mind' can conclude that Wigan had always performed well against top teams, not after facts have been examined.
Compared to the closest team to Wigan in the EPL table, we can conclude that Wigan on one season performed marginally better against the top 6 teams and in two other seasons actually did worse than their neighbour in the table.
Overall conclusion to my mind, is that Martinez's qualities as a coach can not be appreciated by statistics because a team at the bottom have glaring obvious issues at different stages of the season, which statistics just do not allow for.

We have to look at many other factors, but one claim can be ruled out emphatically, that Wigan somehow performed better against top teams but struggled against lower teams. On occasions they performed better against top teams but with no more frequency that their neighbour team in the table.

Stuttgart88
11/12/2013, 12:56 PM
I don't know what this argument is exactly, but on basis of recent evidence Martinez is a really good coach and is able to get a group of good players playing to potential in a very cohesive team structure and playing a good brand of football.

paul_oshea
11/12/2013, 1:17 PM
THe only bit you are missing there, and its the kernel of our discussion , and also the most important final outcome: results. Geysir pointed out that his record against top 6 wasn't as good as I made out, although I didn't actually make out anything, but he pointed out the amount of wins.

Geysir I appreciated rightly, but there is no guile of art, maybe just using your time accordingly, something I don't have enough of to do :) I will admit I did think though he had a better win ratio than he did.

As you suggested I shouldnt use 2/3 seasons you cant compare teams out of 1 season either. So the wolves comparison is not fair and shouldn't be used. I stick by that 2/3 seasons he did a decent job, he seems to have a way with 1/3s :) but..overall its about 62.5% of his losses came from top half(i didnt work out of 47% etc), so about 37.5% of his favourable results came against top half position, that sounds like he had Wigan performing at almost as good as the bottom half. Surely you would expect that he would pefform much better against bottom half(say 75%), and about 25% against bottom half.

geysir
11/12/2013, 2:09 PM
THe only bit you are missing there, and its the kernel of our discussion , and also the most important final outcome: results. Geysir pointed out that his record against top 6 wasn't as good as I made out, although I didn't actually make out anything, but he pointed out the amount of wins.

Geysir I appreciated rightly, but there is no guile of art, maybe just using your time accordingly, something I don't have enough of to do :) I will admit I did think though he had a better win ratio than he did.

As you suggested I shouldnt use 2/3 seasons you cant compare teams out of 1 season either. So the wolves comparison is not fair and shouldn't be used. I stick by that 2/3 seasons he did a decent job, he seems to have a way with 1/3s :) but..overall its about 62.5% of his losses came from top half(i didnt work out of 47% etc), so about 37.5% of his favourable results came against top half position, that sounds like he had Wigan performing at almost as good as the bottom half. Surely you would expect that he would pefform much better against bottom half(say 75%), and about 25% against bottom half.
Martinez had not got Wigan performing better against the top 6 clubs than other teams close to Wigan's predicament managed to do. He had no special magic to work with Wigan in those games.
He has definite skills as a coach and it looks to me that those skills work better with a better squad like he has now.
His weakness at Wigan was in not getting them to play good as a team more often. This applies in general, to all games they had.
Some other coaches might have been able to develop a more stable team at Wigan after 2 or 3 seasons in the EPL, Martinez didn't. His time at Wigan showed great potential but ultimately the picture was mixed.

FWIW, to compare, I think Bruce has done exceptionally well at Hull, virtually overhauling a standard championship team, spending about £13m in total and showing good judgement in getting the type players who he thinks can play the game he want the team to play. It will be interesting to see how Bruce gets on there over 3 seasons.

paul_oshea
11/12/2013, 2:37 PM
Bruce has done the same many times over, but then struggles after a few seasons in charge. Perhaps its just that players become more complacent, Swansea are the only team who have been able to keep mid-table that have come up over the last few years.

I think Martinez got them playing the way he wanted(and has done the same at Everton but inherited a better Defence), but a poor defensive record created mixed results, he lacked 1 or 2 players that perhaps would have given them a defensive solidity that seemed to be lacking, I do remember some big drubbings at Chelsea and spurs, i also think they condeded nearly 80 goals one season and something like 70 another. I remember Martinez complaining about defenders all getting injured around the same time especially the season they got relegated. I reckon had they a solid Defence they would always have acheived around mid to mid-lower table, perhaps that was Martinez' flaw, he was more focused on the playing side of the game, than being solid defensively. That elusive flawless manager still exists :D.

tricky_colour
14/12/2013, 4:29 PM
Goal today, had put in a couple of poor crosses before that, the first one not really his fault as he was playing an over-hit ball,
didn't see the second, but as it was not long after the first I was thinking in danger of being dropped, I guess the goal will change that
though.
Everton made a few bad passes but 4-1 in the end so I expect they will be happy overall.

SkStu
15/12/2013, 2:36 AM
Watched the whole game this morning. They actually played very poorly though Coleman was quite good. I think their performance today showed how important McCarthy is to their game.