PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Predator
29/12/2010, 12:56 PM
He has a goal and an assist from his last 2 or 3 games. If that is out of his depth, how good is a winger who is in his depth?????
As geysir pointed out, Coleman seems to be the luckiest footballer alive. He has been doing a great job as a stand in winger and Moyes has acknowledged this. However, he has also acknowledged that Coleman is not a natural winger, nor the long-term solution to Everton's right-wing problem. In fact, Moyes actually criticised Coleman's concentration and awareness at right-wing but conceded that, considering the circumstances, he had done well. I'd love to see him playing at RB for a while to see how he gets on in the Premiership.

tricky_colour
29/12/2010, 1:41 PM
Who was it who said the more I practise the luckier I get?

I think it was a golfer want it?

Google will tell me.....Gary Player.

Yard of Pace
29/12/2010, 2:08 PM
As geysir pointed out, Coleman seems to be the luckiest footballer alive. He has been doing a great job as a stand in winger and Moyes has acknowledged this. However, he has also acknowledged that Coleman is not a natural winger, nor the long-term solution to Everton's right-wing problem. In fact, Moyes actually criticised Coleman's concentration and awareness at right-wing but conceded that, considering the circumstances, he had done well. I'd love to see him playing at RB for a while to see how he gets on in the Premiership.

Concentration and awareness are things that can be worked on. He's young and it's his first full season in the EPL, I don't get the need to label him as either/or. He's quick, can beat a man, has an eye for goal, can provide good crosses....natural winger or not he's got several of the attributes needed already.

Stuttgart88
29/12/2010, 3:39 PM
Don't be making excuses for him, no reason for him not to get the shot on target at the very least. Worrying. We'll see if he still gets a game once Moyes brings in his new right winger come January.Are we talking about the one he took with his left foot, trying to hit it into the far corner after cutting inside and making space for himself well? He could have done better alright but better players than Coleman have missed similar oportunities. I'm not sure I can remember the last time I saw a right-back beat a few players and curl a left footed shot into the corner. But it's worrying alright. In fact it's ruined my Christmas.

Colbert Report
29/12/2010, 6:02 PM
Are we talking about the one he took with his left foot, trying to hit it into the far corner after cutting inside and making space for himself well? He could have done better alright but better players than Coleman have missed similar oportunities. I'm not sure I can remember the last time I saw a right-back beat a few players and curl a left footed shot into the corner. But it's worrying alright. In fact it's ruined my Christmas.

Take off the green glasses, a better player would have gotten the shot on target at the very least.

SkStu
29/12/2010, 6:14 PM
its hardly worrying though, is it?

Charlie Darwin
29/12/2010, 6:21 PM
Take off the green glasses, a better player would have gotten the shot on target at the very least.
You are correct - a better player would definitely have done it better than the player he's better than. The real question should be why you think this is in some way relevant.

Stuttgart88
29/12/2010, 7:29 PM
I've seen Van Persie and Arshavin miss the target badly from similar positions in the last few weeks. I've just watched Torres not even beating his man like Coleman did. A footballer missing a chance isn't worrying. A footballer consistently missing chances is.

tricky_colour
29/12/2010, 7:54 PM
I think he is joint second Irish goalscorer in the Premiership.

He also has scored one more than Wayne Rooney, so not too bad.

Predator
29/12/2010, 8:07 PM
Concentration and awareness are things that can be worked on. He's young and it's his first full season in the EPL, I don't get the need to label him as either/or. He's quick, can beat a man, has an eye for goal, can provide good crosses....natural winger or not he's got several of the attributes needed already.Fair point and I agree. I was just pointing out that Moyes, a seasoned Premiership manager, does not consider him a winger in the long term, for whatever reason. Not yet at least.

tricky_colour
30/12/2010, 12:27 AM
I think it's better if a player is not one dimensional and can play in several positions.
A good player should be able to do a job pretty much anywhere on the pitch.
At the end of the day you are only kicking a bag of air.

elroy
30/12/2010, 8:36 PM
Its the lads first season at the top level, so far he has excelled. Is he the complete player? God no, has he ooddles of development left in him? for sure. Lads the guy has been a revelation this season and is on course for at least a nomination for young player of the season. The more he plays, the more he will develop, from both an attacking and defensive perspective.

irishfan86
30/12/2010, 11:53 PM
Coleman's emergence is the highlight of the Irish Abroad this season. Hard to say there's been any other Irish player in Europe this season with as positive a story.

Yes he has plenty to learn but in my view we haven't had a player emerge with his sort of explosive ability since Duff.

tricky_colour
31/12/2010, 4:11 PM
Some misses from Berbatov and Nani.

Berbatov'ss chance is ten times easier then Colemans.

Predator
31/12/2010, 6:44 PM
I think it's better if a player is not one dimensional and can play in several positions.
A good player should be able to do a job pretty much anywhere on the pitch.
At the end of the day you are only kicking a bag of air.In my last post I was going to raise the age old view that a good player can play anywhere, but I'm not sure how true it really is. You definitely get players who are good in several positions, but you have others who excel tremendously in one or two particular areas. I wouldn't trust Messi at centre half just as I wouldn't put money on Richard Dunne ever turning into a great striker if he said he preferred scoring goals. Versatility can certainly be a strength, but it can also be to a player's detriment in my opinion. I would rather a player was allowed to focus on refining his game in one position (his natural position, if you will), than to be thrown in at several different positions only to amount to an average utility player. However, as long as Moyes gets the best out of Coleman, that's all that matters I suppose.

elroy
01/01/2011, 12:08 PM
Perhaps and you could argue it had an adverse effect on JOSH that it was played in numerous different positions over a few seasons following his breakthrough to the first team. However, arguably his versatility across the back 4 is now one of his assets. He can put in a good shift at RB and CB and to a lesser extent LB.

RB and RM require many similar attributes. So I wouldnt be so concerned about Coleman. I think for now, playing RM is great for him gaining experience. If he is to be a RB in future he does have some work to do on his defensive abilities.

Sullivinho
05/01/2011, 8:35 PM
Just scored what looks like the winning goal against Spurs.

SkStu
05/01/2011, 8:40 PM
FFS, i wish he'd stop being so effin lucky.

tricky_colour
05/01/2011, 8:41 PM
Dam just missed the goal, was watching Wolves, terrific night for the Irish.
anyway its on MOTD so I will record that.

tetsujin1979
05/01/2011, 8:41 PM
Just scored what looks like the winning goal against Spurs.
my first substitute in fantasy football, thankfully Andy Carroll didn't play!!

tricky_colour
05/01/2011, 8:57 PM
Yes very lucky he happened to be in the right spot to put the header in.
Luck like that can't continue.!!

SkStu
05/01/2011, 9:02 PM
Yes very lucky he happened to be in the right spot to put the header in.
Luck like that can't continue.!!

players that lucky make me sick.

Charlie Darwin
05/01/2011, 9:18 PM
Andy Gray was going on and on tonight about what a lucky goalkeeper Joe Hart is, in addition to being the best goalkeeper of all time. He must be a geysir fan.

elroy
05/01/2011, 9:29 PM
Andy Gray was going on and on tonight about what a lucky goalkeeper Joe Hart is, in addition to being the best goalkeeper of all time. He must be a geysir fan.

No doubt he is a good keeper but the Sky lovefest that takes place every time he is mentioned has really turned me off the lad. Of course taking Shays place hasnt helped either.

brine3
05/01/2011, 9:46 PM
Just building him up for the fall.

It's what they do with England 'keepers.

Sullivinho
05/01/2011, 9:51 PM
I reckon they're just gushing with relief that a keeper's been found who just might break the 'England goalkeeping howler' jinx.

Building for the fall it is then ;)

The Fly
06/01/2011, 4:13 AM
I reckon they're just gushing with relief that a keeper's been found who just might break the 'England goalkeeping howler' jinx.

It was never that bad, surely?

shakermaker1982
06/01/2011, 7:51 AM
Joe Hart is the best gk EVER. Is Andy Gray his agent?

bohsRap
06/01/2011, 8:39 AM
Delighted for him. Here's the goal:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/seamus-coleman-tottenham-8073646/

I don't think it was as easy as people are making out, certainly wasn't a tap in anyway.

irishfan86
06/01/2011, 3:39 PM
Definitely not pure luck, but any time there's a rebound there's an element of randomness as to where the ball goes. For me, he showed good instincts to be in that position and be ahead of his marker, and then reacted very quickly to the rebound. He made the play look a lot easier than it was I think.

tricky_colour
06/01/2011, 10:32 PM
Well he has made the run hasn't he, got himself into a goal scoring position, that's how you make your own luck.
Probably a better run than the player on the other side, he got himself into an good an area when rebounds often go
ie toward the side of the goal.

elroy
06/01/2011, 11:01 PM
He has a great chance early on in the second half, where he was one on one with Gomes and shot very poorly, straight at the keeper.

Having said that, good to see him getting well due praise from Moyes today.

tricky_colour
06/01/2011, 11:36 PM
He has a great chance early on in the second half, where he was one on one with Gomes and shot very poorly, straight at the keeper.

Having said that, good to see him getting well due praise from Moyes today.

I don't think there was an easy pass on for him, there was a defender waiting for that,
I think he tried to put it through the keeper legs.
Had the other guy made a run to the far post a pass might have been on but he just
languished in no-man land giving little other option but to shoot.
he never got himself into a good position.

Anyway, at least he has not injured himself yet (tempting fate there!!).

Match of the Day did a little piece on how he got the better of the left back,
mainly criticising the left back, I guess some would say he was lucky the left back kept getting himself
into bad positions, but I'd like to say Seamus got himself into good positions!!

Comes back to the making your own luck thing again.

tricky_colour
06/01/2011, 11:49 PM
More praise from Rednapp here:-
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11671_6638763,00.html

Spurs manager Redknapp admitted Coleman had been a thorn his side throughout the game.

Redknapp said: "Gareth gives us an outlet - pace - like the boy Coleman does for them.

"When someone is willing to run and run it is difficult and he was always an outlet for them."

Nice to see him doing so well.

The Fly
07/01/2011, 1:40 PM

Stuttgart88
07/01/2011, 3:48 PM
He was only just onside (I paused it when the shot was struck and he was level). A lot of linesmen would have called it as offside.

paul_oshea
07/01/2011, 3:51 PM
You are either onside or offside Stutts.its an exact science.you can't be nearly one way or the other.

Drumcondra 69er
07/01/2011, 4:49 PM
More praise from Rednapp here:-
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11671_6638763,00.html

Spurs manager Redknapp admitted Coleman had been a thorn his side throughout the game.

Redknapp said: "Gareth gives us an outlet - pace - like the boy Coleman does for them.

"When someone is willing to run and run it is difficult and he was always an outlet for them."

Nice to see him doing so well.

If he develops as quickly as Bale I'll be over the moon......

ken foree
07/01/2011, 8:10 PM
You are either onside or offside Stutts.its an exact science.you can't be nearly one way or the other.

hehee i know you must be having a laugh but i've always wondered what the hell the pundits were seeing on their replay screens as the offender's arm or a portion of his upper torso strayed beyond the last man. i feel if both his feet aren't beyond the last man, he's not off (going by the oft-ignored fifa 'benefit of the doubt to the attacker' adage).

Colbert Report
07/01/2011, 11:00 PM
hehee i know you must be having a laugh but i've always wondered what the hell the pundits were seeing on their replay screens as the offender's arm or a portion of his upper torso strayed beyond the last man. i feel if both his feet aren't beyond the last man, he's not off (going by the oft-ignored fifa 'benefit of the doubt to the attacker' adage).

There is no "benefit to the attacker" adage. Any part of the body means a player is offside.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

irishfan86
07/01/2011, 11:37 PM
There is no "benefit to the attacker" adage. Any part of the body means a player is offside.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

Regarding body parts, this is the quote from the file you just posted:

In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
• “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s
head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the
ball and the second-last opponent. The arms are not included in this
definition

shellyriver
08/01/2011, 1:02 AM
What a ****!

theworm2345
08/01/2011, 3:17 PM
Just scored another header against Everton, nothing lucky about this one. Got booked for going in to the crowd.

tetsujin1979
just scored a header, fifth of the season
beat Eddie Nolan to the ball

TrapAPony
Coleman scores a great header v Scunthorpe.

centre mid
08/01/2011, 3:18 PM
Scores again today, Trap should really play him up front now, he has proven himself as a premiership goalscorer..................

Predator
08/01/2011, 3:25 PM
Coleman has been brilliant this game. Scun thorpe have been dire though.

EastTerracer
08/01/2011, 4:12 PM

While the offside rule in itself does not contain any reference to giving the benefit to an attacking player, there is a clear interpretation from the UEFA Referees' Committee that....

"If an assistant referee is not totally sure about an offside offence the flag should not be raised (i.e. in case of doubt benefit must be given to the attacking team)"

shellyriver
08/01/2011, 5:29 PM
yes genius - you do realise that Everton v. Arsenal and Everton v. Sunderland are two different games and that players produce different performances in different games? He failed to beat Bardsley for pace on the outside a few times during Mondays game which i was surprised by. Try watching the game, genius.

Im a huge fan of Coleman you sap. I just didnt think he played very well against Sunderland. He is not the finished article yet. That is all. No big deal. Please, please, cop on.

When the best Irish player can not get into the Irish national side it is a big deal.

I would you the like of posters who express the same sentiment such as at page 28 'That Trap was right about Coleman' -- ie Colbert Report, still agree that Coleman, not only should get a place in the Wales game, in fact, he is Ireland's best player.

I suppose there will be a few posters here saying, oh he doesn't have any international experience, so Trap is right to wait.

If a player his quality was was third generation Irishman having played in the Championship that hypothetical player would have got a run out with Ireland. Its a ***king disgrace he has got a full Irish cap yet.

A possible reason for the lack of an Irish cap, is that he has come from a League of Ireland club and didn't get the respect that he is due.

Anyways, he played brillantly against Tottenham, was compared as 'Colemania' by chubby Dolan on Setanta, saying that if Messie did that on Scunthorpe's pitch, we would be raving about it. So Ststu, as regard the logic you applied in your quoted remark, let me tell you, Scunthorpe, Sunderland, Arsenal or Tottenham, it doesn't matter, he's produced the goods at every level, week in, week out.

I am loving an ex-League of Ireland, Sligo Rovers, Donegal man getting a run out in the big Bowl at Lansdowne. Let's hope Trap just cops on and puts Coleman in.

Charlie Darwin
08/01/2011, 6:02 PM
I think you may have a gift for hyperbole. It's disappointing that Coleman didn't get a run out in the Norway game but it is far from a disgrace, let alone a "***king disgrace."