PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

TheOneWhoKnocks
17/07/2014, 1:07 PM
OK.. now that we are over the disappointment of Seamus Coleman pledging his future to Everton: http://backpagefootball.com/seamus-colemans-best-position/78965/

What is Seamus' best position?

Charlie Darwin
17/07/2014, 2:55 PM
Right back, simple. I knew centre midfield was going to crop up though, just because Coleman shares some similarities with Lahm.

Olé Olé
17/07/2014, 2:59 PM
His overlaps, dribbles and beautifully whipped crosses would have to be nullified if he played in the middle. Not much point in that.

Stuttgart88
17/07/2014, 4:20 PM
He doesn't have Lahm characteristics. Full back, pure and simple.

Olé Olé
17/07/2014, 4:23 PM
I'm trying to dig it out now but who was it that said recently that modern-day full-backs see more ball than almost anyone?

EDIT: This article highlights the impact of the full-back on the World Cup in quite good detail
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/how-full-backs-are-making-world-cup-brilliant-and-why-england-need-more-theirs

This isn't what I was referring to. It was someone with a tad more authority than a journo. Guess I'll never figure it out.

Stuttgart88
17/07/2014, 10:06 PM
Martin O'Neill said recently that in his experience an attacking full back is just that, a full back. Rarely does an attacking full back ever properly become an effective wide midfielder.

If I may blow my own trumpet (I regularly do on these pages) I have long posited the view that a full back will have 3 essential components or instincts: defensive, attacking wide player and central midfielder's presence of mind. The first two are obvious but the third is less well appreciated generally. The full back is often the first recipient of the ball in the development phase. As well as his wide instincts he must also have the presence of mind to look up and pick a pass, and a pass at any angle not just a nudge up the line. Very often the pass is a diagonal pass inside, but perhaps past a first line of defence. This is why I think a modern full back has a bit of a central midfielder about him, and Irwin was a super example. To summarise: a full back should be a defender, a carrier and someone who can pick a pass, any, pass, from a tight space.

Lahm is exceptional in that he can do all of these expertly. Our Seamie? I'd say two-and-bit out of three.

Olé Olé
17/07/2014, 11:22 PM
Yeah, in relation to the three traits you refer to, Seamie is better at carrying and defending than he is at picking passes in tight spaces. In fact, he's a better passer when he uses his pace and acceleration to make that added couple of feet for himself. Central midfield being more congested won't necessarily allow him that. Although, I must qualify my assertion by saying that Roy Keane was the perfect example of someone who used his acceleration immediately upon receiving the ball to give him extra time to find a pass, but he played in midfield all his career.

He probably could do a job in midfield, let it not be said that I'm denying that. But he's a cracking right-back and he offers enough there in terms of creating chances and thwarting opposition attacks that shifting him elsewhere would be a cost/benefit exercise whereby I'm not sure the effect of the benefits would outweigh the cumulative impact of the costs.

CraftyToePoke
18/07/2014, 1:00 PM
Anyone think him & McClean would be worth a look on either side of a 5 in a 5-3-2 in a friendly ?

jbyrne
18/07/2014, 1:36 PM
Anyone think him & McClean would be worth a look on either side of a 5 in a 5-3-2 in a friendly ?

possibly, but do we have 3 decent centre backs to suit that formation though?

TheOneWhoKnocks
18/07/2014, 2:18 PM
Coincidentally, Harry Redknapp plans on playing Richard Dunne as one of three center backs along with Rio Ferdinand and Steve Caulker.

Stuttgart88
18/07/2014, 2:39 PM
possibly, but do we have 3 decent centre backs to suit that formation though?
I'd like to see it myself but I think O'Neill dissed the notion recently saying its one thing being able to work on this day in, day out at club level, but international breaks are too short to try something radical.

Do we have the players? O'Shea, Clark and Wilson would be the right type of player.

I thiink the summer friendlies would have been a good time to do it myself.

One feature of this World Cup was teams with a regular back four allowing the full backs to get forward with a defensive midfielder dropping back to make a back 3 when the full backs are attacking.

Sometimes I do despair at our perceived inflexibility. Are the players really that thick / one dimensional?

It's a shame McClean didn't impress at left back v Costa Rica.

CraftyToePoke
18/07/2014, 3:10 PM
O'Neill dismissing it, if he has, is disheartening, His Leicester and Celtic sides did it, did they not ? And I don't think it is a radical departure, or it at least shouldn't be for the guys we have.

Could, Wilson / Dunne / O'Shea play it ? or does that lack pace on the right hand side if Coleman got found out up field ?

Stuttgart88
18/07/2014, 3:23 PM
O'Neill dismissing it, if he has, is disheartening, His Leicester and Celtic sides did it, did they not ? And I don't think it is a radical departure, or it at least shouldn't be for the guys we have
I agree.

Olé Olé
18/07/2014, 3:44 PM
What would the side be in a 5-3-2/3-5-2 formation?

O'Shea, Dunne, Clark/Coleman, Brady/McCarthy, Meyler, Hoolahan/Doyle (or Long), Keane?

That could even line out as a 5-2-2-1, albeit asking a lot of Brady and Coleman. I originally thought of McClean on that left flank but it dawned on me that Brady has played left-back a tad.

TheOneWhoKnocks
26/07/2014, 6:51 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/martin-o-neill-optimistic-about-s%C3%A9amus-coleman-s-injury-1.1878500

Coleman an injury doubt for Georgia game. Easy to forget after the success of last season that he is quite injury prone.

Charlie Darwin
26/07/2014, 8:25 PM
I think that's two of the last three pre-seasons he's missed with injury.

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/08/2014, 5:22 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/vine-seamus-coleman-opens-the-scoring-for-everton-against-arsenal-30530868.html

Goal

tricky_colour
23/08/2014, 5:26 PM
https://vine.co/v/MLFMTK5hlgx

That's the way to do it Shane!!

DannyInvincible
23/08/2014, 6:06 PM
Good stuff. Taking up where he left off.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/09/2014, 12:37 PM
Some snippets from a good article..

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fcs-cut-price-purchase-seamus-7716565

Last season, the 25-year-old provided six Premier League (http://www.dailypost.co.uk/all-about/barclays-premier-league) goals and two assists. That contribution significantly outweighs those made by Pablo Zabaleta (one goal, six assists), Branislav Ivanovic (three goals, one assist), Bacary Sagna (one goal, three assists), Rafael (no goals, one assist) and Glen Johnson (no goals, three assists).

Indeed, only team-mate Leighton Baines (http://www.dailypost.co.uk/all-about/leighton-baines), with five goals and five assists, provided a more potent attacking threat from full-back. And Baines takes the bulk of Everton’s corners, penalties and free-kicks.

Coleman’s pass completion rate of 88.5%, meanwhile, made him the most reliable full-back in the league in terms of possession – a key requirement in a system such as the one Martinez (http://www.dailypost.co.uk/all-about/roberto-martinez) insists upon at Everton.

His cross completion rate, 30.7%, was the best of any player in the division. Baines, by comparison, had a completion rate of 17.7%.

Defensively, Coleman’s numbers are equally impressive; last season, he won 57% of his ground duels, 55% of his aerial duels, and 81% of his tackles.

Martinez (http://www.dailypost.co.uk/all-about/roberto-martinez)adds: “There’s no reason why he shouldn’t get double figures in terms of goals.

TheOneWhoKnocks
28/09/2014, 10:16 AM
http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/football-wls-chelsea-to-compete-with-man-utd-for-the-signing-everton-star-report-claims

Linked with Man Utd and Chelsea.

DeLorean
28/09/2014, 2:06 PM
Is an interesting one... opinion seems divided on Rafael but personally I think he's a class player. He's a bit rash for sure but it's that kind of edgy play that makes him the player he is. Coleman definitely has it over him in terms of goalscoring but they're similar enough otherwise. Ivanovic is probably one of the most understated players in world football but will probably replace Terry as Cahill's partner over the next few years.

Hopefully he's fit for next weekend before our games. Could be some battle with Di Maria.

BonnieShels
18/10/2014, 3:41 PM
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllll llllllllll!!!

Seamie's back.

TheOneWhoKnocks
18/10/2014, 4:28 PM
http://vine.co/v/ObK5gJK2jbH

Stuttgart88
18/10/2014, 4:34 PM
A hint of John O'Shea's goal about that. More than a hint of the late Wes Hoolahan chance.

livehead1
19/10/2014, 9:04 AM
Surprised not more has been made of this: In an article written in the Irish Times dated 17th October MON is quoted as saying:

“I would love have both of them available for next month, that would be very important. Of course, I was disappointed that they didn’t make it but I did speak to Séamus himself, and I know his real keenness and eagerness to play for the Republic of Ireland, so when he said he didn’t feel good at all about it, I took that as read. Absolutely, I took him at his word and without any problem.
“Next month, the only thing I can hope for is that the very best players that we have can be available for that game.”

These comments were made in relation to Coleman and McCarthy being available to play on 14th November against Scotland. However, the day after these comments were made, both started for their club side. Ireland clearly didn't have their injuries assessed as they are entitled to do. Whilst on the one hand I appreciate the importance of maintaining a good relationship with club managers, I harbour a suspicion that at least one, if not both, could have been available for the Germany game just days earlier.

BonnieShels
19/10/2014, 10:49 AM
https://vine.co/v/MLFMTK5hlgx

That's the way to do it Shane!!

Tricky, what did you edit that day?

tricky_colour
19/10/2014, 12:10 PM
Tricky, what did you edit that day?

I am sorry I don't quite follow what you are trying to say there.

tricky_colour
19/10/2014, 12:11 PM
Yes look like he has been taking lessons from O'Shea.

TheOneWhoKnocks
19/10/2014, 12:17 PM
Roberto Martinez is a very strange little man.

Charlie Darwin
19/10/2014, 12:29 PM
Bit of a weird thing to say out of the blue.

BonnieShels
19/10/2014, 12:29 PM
I am sorry I don't quite follow what you are trying to say there.

You edited the post but still called him Shane.

tricky_colour
19/10/2014, 12:57 PM
Surprised not more has been made of this: In an article written in the Irish Times dated 17th October MON is quoted as saying:

“I would love have both of them available for next month, that would be very important. Of course, I was disappointed that they didn’t make it but I did speak to Séamus himself, and I know his real keenness and eagerness to play for the Republic of Ireland, so when he said he didn’t feel good at all about it, I took that as read. Absolutely, I took him at his word and without any problem.
“Next month, the only thing I can hope for is that the very best players that we have can be available for that game.”

These comments were made in relation to Coleman and McCarthy being available to play on 14th November against Scotland. However, the day after these comments were made, both started for their club side. Ireland clearly didn't have their injuries assessed as they are entitled to do. Whilst on the one hand I appreciate the importance of maintaining a good relationship with club managers, I harbour a suspicion that at least one, if not both, could have been available for the Germany game just days earlier.

The comments were in relation to the German game I think, I could have worded it better though.

Stuttgart88
19/10/2014, 1:09 PM

In fairness, neither had played for their clubs before the international break so I don't think there's reason to be too suspicious. There are always tensions between club and international managers and I suspect O'Neill picked his battle, so to speak. If he had played either of these players and they had got a knock it could have set up trouble in future. McCarthy is a quiet type and we don't really know much about him but in Coleman's case you just know he'd bust a gut to play for Ireland. As a runner, I know that a few days can make a big difference between being at risk of aggravating an injury and being fully healed. However, it's interesting the way O'Neill described Andy Reid's situation before the Georgia game, pretty much saying that it was Reid's choice to stay behind and strongly hinting that he could have been available if he really wanted. Maybe that's just O'Neill's turn of phrase though, which can be a bit caustic and dry at the best of times.

geysir
19/10/2014, 2:32 PM
It was curious that both got off their sickbeds and played yesterday.
Would Trap have called them in to report for a medical?
You'd hope that it was all genuine. There's a 5 day restriction period whereby the club would have to have the FAI's agreement to use these players in a game or else face some reprimand or other, depending on any fuss I suppose.

TheOneWhoKnocks
19/10/2014, 2:50 PM
The last thing we need now is Martinez getting inside McCarthy's head and starting some crap because we're playing Scotland next month.

liamoo11
19/10/2014, 3:00 PM
The last thing we need now is Martinez getting inside McCarthy's head and starting some crap because we're playing Scotland next month.

no the last thing we need is martinez becoming aston villa manager and convincing burkey to throw his lot in with the three lions!

tricky_colour
19/10/2014, 7:40 PM
You edited the post but still called him Shane.

Yes I intended to put Shane, I perhaps should have made my self clearer, I was
I think referring to some missed chance by Shane long.

Specifically this:-

OK it was perhaps not so easy to understand for people who are fortunate enough to be not me :)

http://fat.gfycat.com/InstructiveRichHartebeest.mp4

tetsujin1979
09/11/2014, 11:40 AM
Starts today for Everton with McCarthy and McGeady, Gibson on the bench

Stuttgart88
09/11/2014, 12:30 PM
...while Martinez rests Naismith in a bid to keep him fresh for Friday :)

Closed Account
09/11/2014, 12:57 PM
...while Martinez rests Naismith in a bid to keep him fresh for Friday :)

The *******....

Philly
09/11/2014, 1:17 PM
Gibson came on after about 10 minutes after Barry was stretchered off. Good test of his match fitness.

Stuttgart88
09/11/2014, 2:06 PM
Coleman fouled by Wickham for a penalty, Baines scores to equalise, 1-1,

DannyInvincible
24/11/2014, 6:55 PM
Mourinho is very keen on Coleman as competition for Ivanovic and is planning a €20-22 million bid, according to various media reports/Balls.ie: http://balls.ie/football/seamus-coleman-move-soon/

KK77
01/12/2014, 11:36 AM
Sleeping at the wheel yesterday. Not for the first time either.

tricky_colour
02/12/2014, 12:25 AM
Mourinho is very keen on Coleman as competition for Ivanovic and is planning a €20-22 million bid, according to various media reports/Balls.ie: http://balls.ie/football/seamus-coleman-move-soon/

I hope he is not going to Chelsea to spend most of his time on the bench.

DeLorean
02/12/2014, 8:02 AM
I'd hope he has more sense than that. If he is to move on I would think United would be a more likely destination, if they are interested. Geographically it would be less of a move, better chance of first team football and he supported them growing up.

KK77
02/12/2014, 8:48 AM
I hope he is not going to Chelsea to spend most of his time on the bench.

Would be some move for him to work with the best manager around and who would without doubt iron out his defensive faults. No brainer if he gets the chance.

tricky_colour
02/12/2014, 7:45 PM
Would be some move for him to work with the best manager around and who would without doubt iron out his defensive faults. No brainer if he gets the chance.

I would be fine if he is actually playing, but if he is sitting on the bench I don't see how it is good for his game,
certainly not good for those who want to see him play. He need to be play, there is something wrong if they can
pay £20m for someone to sit on the bench.

Charlie Darwin
02/12/2014, 7:47 PM
there is something wrong if they can pay £20m for someone to sit on the bench.
Agreed. They're not Southampton.