PDA

View Full Version : Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Stuttgart88
05/05/2013, 11:20 AM
A football club is a collection of talent. In this bizarre industry, three-quarters of a club’s revenues might be paid to 25 young men and their agents. That means that a club’s most important decisions concern recruitment. Here too, Everton need to outsmart richer clubs. This starts with where they look for talent. Everton are doing a decent job. Outside the dining room hangs a plaque listing the players from the club’s academy who went on to represent their country. Wayne Rooney’s name leaps out. But the ensemble is impressive given that Everton compete for talent in a relatively small region with a more prestigious club: local boys who supported Everton such as McManaman, Michael Owen and Jamie Carragher all ended up choosing Liverpool’s academy instead.

Still, Everton can do better. Like many English clubs, they scout mainly in working-class neighbourhoods. Hargreaves says: “Traditionally we have core areas where we think we find players. But there’s a growing middle-class, there are more green spaces in the middle-class areas.” Has Everton operated an unintentional bias against the middle classes? “I think evidence would suggest that’s the case.”

Then there’s the issue of bringing players from academy to first team. Very few teenagers are ready for the Premier League. Some adult players therefore need several more years of schooling before they might, possibly, make the big time. Hargreaves says: “I’d argue that a Rooney or a Messi is a freak. The real gains we could have are with players who are not the outstanding talent in their age group. Ten years ago, Leon Osman was sent on loan to other clubs two or three times, and made his debut here aged nearly 22. Leon Osman has played perhaps 300 games for Everton.” Recently he made his debut for England, aged 31.

Where you recruit matters too. Some national markets are less overfished than others. Smith says: “Probably our best example of getting a player cheaply was Seamus Coleman [bought from Sligo Rovers in Ireland]. We paid £60,000 for him when he was 19, 20. There was a succession element to it: when he came, we were well covered at right-back, and he wasn’t ready to play right-back for us anyway. He went on loan to Blackpool a boy, straight out of the League of Ireland, and came back a footballer, far better prepared for the Premier League.”

Coleman recently signed a contract to stay at Goodison until 2018. Now Everton are searching Ireland for more Colemans, but they are also targeting other underfished markets such as Switzerland, Croatia and Poland. Smith and Brown can get very excited about unknown young Poles. Signing a player is always a leap into the dark. “Watching players is a very subjective thing, an inexact science,” says Smith. “There are all kinds of inputs: live player reports, extensive video analysis, speaking to people who have worked with them, and data is one of those layers. Data plays a role – not a massive role at the moment.”

One occasion when data did matter was in 2008, when Everton were trying to replace their midfielder Lee Carsley. Smith says: “We needed someone to replace things that he had been doing: possession regains, winning tackles and headers, protecting the back four.” The club’s eye fell on a 20-year-old Belgian, obscure but for his enormous hair, named Marouane Fellaini. “We’d followed him at the 2008 Olympics but he didn’t have a great tournament. Actually he got sent off quite early on,” Smith recalls. There were few match stats for Fellaini, because there was then no data available for Belgian league matches. And so Everton watched videos of him to compile their own stats, using key performance indicators that seemed relevant. “It’s GCSE maths,” admits Smith, “as opposed to PhD maths, which is perhaps what we want to be working towards. But Fellaini was one of those where everything said, ‘Yes, do it’: the data, the subjective reports, the age, the fact that he was already playing for Belgium, his size.” And so Everton gambled £15m on him – still the club’s record transfer fee. It paid off. This summer, Fellaini is expected to join a richer club for an even bigger fee.

Everton’s performance analysts want to improve their use of data. They are now picking brains inside and outside football for new insights. They are painfully aware, for instance, that nobody in their group has a maths degree. Still, football clubs may be more advanced than most corporations in using data to recruit employees. Only about one in 10 human-resources staff at FTSE 100 companies has a degree involving numbers, says Rob Symes, who made the documentary film Outside View on sports and data. Daniel Kahneman, the psychologist who won the Nobel Prize for economics, says in the film that a key to good decision-making is to let statistics “not humans make the final decision”.

Everton’s mix of stats and humans seems to work. If they avoid defeat at Anfield on Sunday, they should finish above Liverpool again. That would please fans who haven’t forgotten Liverpool’s then manager Rafael Benitez calling Everton a “small club” in 2007. Liverpool’s history, fan-base and wage bill still dwarf Everton’s.

But Moyes’s grunts don’t seem to mind. After we’ve been talking for several hours, Smith starts musing on what he likes about the club. Everton, he says, doesn’t generate weekly soap opera of players’ misbehaviour. (Here Brown, listening to his colleague’s paean, hastily reaches back to touch the wood of a cheap table.) “This is a club to be proud of,” says Smith, “from the point of view of overachieving, from the way it conducts itself, from the way the manager and players are perceived. It’s respected by other clubs and other managers and other staff.” He doesn’t mind that Everton are unfashionable. “I actually think that the old stadium, with its history, that’s part of what Everton is.” If Everton were richer, it might not be half as clever.

Charlie Darwin
19/05/2013, 8:24 PM
Premier Soccer Saturday reckon Coleman is being linked to Man Utd with Moyes, presumably rumours from just the Irish papers. Can't see it happening.

Grafter
19/05/2013, 10:31 PM
Premier Soccer Saturday reckon Coleman is being linked to Man Utd with Moyes, presumably rumours from just the Irish papers. Can't see it happening.

Agree... Evening Herald journalism of the highest order:rolleyes:

Olé Olé
19/05/2013, 11:38 PM
Left-back needs more urgent strengthening than right-back at United, given that Evra is about 10 years older than Rafael Da Silva who enjoyed his best season so far. Hence, Leighton Baines is far more likely to follow Moyes.

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2013, 12:04 AM
Baines is only three years younger than Evra, hardly a long-term solution. United's transfer policy seems to be to bring in young players with resale value, which Coleman would fit rather than Baines.

SkStu
20/05/2013, 12:45 AM
I don't think it's (Coleman to United) very likely to happen.

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2013, 1:04 AM
Yeah, as much as I like Coleman, Rafael is a better player. But I suppose if it sells papers....

tricky_colour
20/05/2013, 3:09 AM
Would not surprise me actually. Him and Madden...................watch this space!!

Fixer82
20/05/2013, 10:15 AM
Colemans Everton fans are calling themselves
The Colemaniacs. Kinda lame.

They should call themselves The Colemen

Olé Olé
21/05/2013, 7:06 PM
Baines is only three years younger than Evra, hardly a long-term solution. United's transfer policy seems to be to bring in young players with resale value, which Coleman would fit rather than Baines.

United are willing to make an exception in relation to that transfer policy and I think Baines has been quite exceptional at left-back this season. And he has priors with Moyes and was constantly linked with United when Fergie was in charge. Some of the balls Baines was putting in front of a player like Anichebe will be far better utilised by Van Persie and Hernandez (and Rooney). Not to mention his free-kick prowess. I think there's something of a fit there.

Even if Coleman does fit into that transfer policy, Rafael is there and I don't seem him leaving this summer.

Charlie Darwin
21/05/2013, 7:37 PM
I'd probably have agreed a year ago when Evra seemed to be on a sharp decline, but he's been one of their best players this season and I don't see the utility in spending the £30 million it will cost to bring in Baines when he won't even be a guaranteed starter.

the bear
22/05/2013, 9:50 AM
If i was asked to pick 2 full backs out of Baines, Evra, Rafael & Coleman I would go with Baines and Coleman without doubt. The 2 of them have been exceptional this season.

KK77
22/05/2013, 10:19 AM
If i was asked to pick 2 full backs out of Baines, Evra, Rafael & Coleman I would go with Baines and Coleman without doubt. The 2 of them have been exceptional this season.

I would agree. I think Evra is well passed his best and although he scored a few goals this season i think his defending is poor compared to two seasons back. I also think Coleman is every bit as good as Rafael although he is still young so could improve but at the moment Coleman for me.

DeLorean
22/05/2013, 2:00 PM
It's a tough comparison I think. Baines and Coleman are pretty flashy players so they look fantastic on a highlights reel. That's not to say they haven't been excellent but they aren't really subject to the same scrutiny as Evra and Rafael. Evra definitely improved on his 2011/12 form, possibly due to the recruitment of Buttner. Rafael, for me, has had an outstanding season and would be a bit more seasoned than Coleman right now at the very top level.

Olé Olé
22/05/2013, 3:03 PM
Luke Shaw linked to United today. The case for United signing a 28 year-old left back is weakened when you take into account the performances of Shaw and Ben Davies this season.

I think Rafael's age profile and quality, as well as Smalling and Jones' ability to play to cover right-back without there being anything close to a hole left at centre-back (Evans, Vidic, Ferdinand) mean that Coleman to United is a non-runner. Unless Rafael gets whisked off to Real or Barca.

the bear
22/05/2013, 8:30 PM
Although i think Coleman is better than any of United's right backs, i agree i doesn't really make much sense for them to go after him given the strength they have there. I have to say though Seamus has really looked the part this year. I was never fully convinced of his quality before this season but ever since he has claimed the right back spot for Everton he has been amazing. I hope he is given the freedom to attack playing for Ireland because that is where his biggest strength lies, he looks like a nightmare to play against. In my opinion he is the best player at our disposal.

ArdeeBhoy
05/06/2013, 12:41 PM
Latest fans interview.
http://www.ybig.ie/ybig-talks-to-seamus-coleman.6.100.blog.html

gustavo
05/06/2013, 12:45 PM
The interviewer sure is a happy character!!

Always thought that McShane was a bit of a character and does seem well liked by the others.

dong
05/06/2013, 5:17 PM
Four lights is always the right answer. Good man Seamie.

Crosby87
08/08/2013, 11:55 AM
Jag: Seamus ready to bloom.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/seamus-coleman-come-age-says-5671338

tricky_colour
17/08/2013, 4:28 PM
Goooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllla!!!!!! !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhG9KZMMM4

Stick him up front Trap!!!!

Too be fair, I expect Long would have put that one away. ;)

DannyInvincible
22/08/2013, 5:56 PM
Coleman interviewed by FIFA.com: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/news/newsid=2155205/index.html?cid=twitter_fifacom

At the end of the Republic of Ireland’s recent friendly, the captain’s armband was worn by 24-year-old Seamus Coleman. There might not be anything remarkable about that statement on first glance. Coleman is an established Premier League player with Everton who made his international debut two years ago and has helped Blackpool win promotion to the Premier League.

Yet when one considers that for the first 17 years of his life, a completely different sport was his first choice, then his tale becomes all the more interesting.

“Gaelic football was my first love until I was about 18,” Coleman told FIFA.com. “I played at all the underage levels and was a big part of the county scene. I was quite successful and really enjoyed it. But then I had to make the decision on whether I should become a full-time professional with Sligo Rovers or stick as an amateur and play Gaelic. I thought it was a chance worth taking and fortunately it’s worked out well for me. But that said, the roots of the Gaelic game has helped me: it’s a rough and tumble sport. If you get hit you get back up and it’s made me a fit lad.”

The path that the Everton right-back has walked down is one which was shared by the likes of Brad Friedel, who excelled at both hockey and basketball in Ohio, while Johan Neeskens voted ‘best batter’ when playing at the European Youth Baseball Championships in the 1960s, and Peter Schmeichel perfected his huge throw while playing handball in his native Denmark.

Coleman’s dual-discipline upbringing meant that his skills were not developed at a professional academy, but he believes that this hasn’t placed him at a disadvantage.

“From a young age lads are tirelessly being taught the technical side to the game which I definitely missed out on and that would have been a great help to me,” he continued. “But when I joined Everton I’d played 50 senior games, which a lot of young lads don’t. Playing for Sligo, which is only 90 minutes away from my home town, I was able to go back and do silly things like going to my own prom. All that makes a difference because I know if I went over to England earlier I would have struggled with homesickness. I’m glad the way I did it, because I think I took a lot over that maybe you wouldn’t have got in an academy.”

The family way

Coleman’s footballing skills were honed on the streets of Killybegs in County Donegal, in matches for local side St. Catherine’s, for ‘The Killers’ - the team that represented his estate - and by his family, notably his older brother Stevie, who is an Irish international himself.

Stevie, who has cerebral palsy, was a bronze medal winner at the 2003 Special Olympics, which is supported by FIFA through the Football for Hope initiative.

“That was a great tournament and it was brilliant for him,” recalled Seamus. “We all went out to support him – there were big opening and closing ceremonies and he had a big homecoming in Killybegs for doing so well. I also had a homecoming when Blackpool won the play-off, but he was pleased to point out that there were more people for his than there were for mine!

“Stevie’s a striker – and a good one too. He loves his football, but he’s 38 now, so we’re trying to tell him to hang up his boots. He’s having none of it though. He’s always quick to remind me that he’s the first international in the family and that he taught me everything I know. To be fair, he used to take me down to the local pitch when I was a boy. He’d stand in goal and I’d take shots at him.”

Coleman has the chance to emulate his big brother by representing the Republic of Ireland in an international tournament, with the 2014 FIFA World Cup™ in Brazil just around the corner. However, they must first make it out of a tough Group C which currently sees Germany top with 16 points and Austria, Sweden and the boys in green all five points behind.

“Next month’s games against Sweden and Austria are going to be massive,” said Coleman. “I think that the outcome of those matches will have a massive impact come the end of the campaign. We’re fortunate to have a very experienced coach in Giovanni Trapattoni to guide us through it. We’re working for a man who has been through it all, he’s seen it all. He’s more tactically defensive, so I’ve learned a lot from that. Hopefully we’ll be able to get to a World Cup under him.

“My goal is to in international football is to get to a major tournament and play a part in it – and to represent Ireland at a World Cup would be amazing. It’s something every footballer strives to do. You want to play for your country and you definitely want to play for your country in a World Cup. We all want to be there playing against the best players in the world.”

Bungle
22/08/2013, 11:16 PM
Seamus is an absolute gem of a playeer. Nice to see Jamie Mac and Seamus beginning to become the leaders of the team.

Olé Olé
23/08/2013, 7:16 PM
I respect him even more learning about his older brother there. Excellent stuff.

Coleman is a gem is right. Goal-scoring start to the season augurs very well and if he can keep going like he finished last season then he's in for a cracker.

Crosby87
24/08/2013, 2:02 PM
Martinez: I love Colemans full package.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/seamus-coleman-becoming-complete-full-back-5781147

Charlie Darwin
24/08/2013, 3:56 PM
Just hit the bar with a mi**** cross. Also had a decent effort in the first half cutting in off his wing. West Brom have barely had a sniff all game but still 0-0.

tetsujin1979
24/08/2013, 4:40 PM
hee hee mi**** is a swear!

DannyInvincible
24/08/2013, 4:48 PM
But Scunthorpe United get away scot-free?

IsMiseSean
24/08/2013, 4:53 PM
A what cross?? :confused:

pineapple stu
24/08/2013, 4:54 PM
Mis-hit

Charlie Darwin
02/10/2013, 11:36 PM
Nice isolated stat: Seamus Coleman completed five dribbles without being dispossessed once by Newcastle. He also made seven tackles.

Crosby87
03/10/2013, 12:07 AM
Sounds like something from The Exorcist.

tricky_colour
04/10/2013, 10:32 PM
Nice isolated stat: Seamus Coleman completed five dribbles without being dispossessed once by Newcastle. He also made seven tackles.

That is one of his strengths, he is 16th on dribbles per game (2.2), the are players who make more dribble but
all bar one get dispossessed more often and that is Mesut Özil who makes 2.3 dribbles per game and gets disposed
0.7 times per game same as Coleman.
So he makes 3 dribbles before he is dispossession, which is world class especially for a left back!

Charlie Darwin
05/10/2013, 12:02 PM
Caught out for City's equaliser today after losing Negredo's run.

tetsujin1979
05/10/2013, 2:15 PM
gave away the penalty as well, although it looked a debatable decision

tricky_colour
05/10/2013, 3:11 PM
Well those might knock his stats a bit but I will have to see the incidents as some of you might be biased.

geysir
05/10/2013, 5:47 PM
Well those might knock his stats a bit but I will have to see the incidents as some of you might be biased.
I would check out those stats TC
Charlie and Tets are certainly at the top of the list of the 'biased against Coleman' suspects.

Charlie Darwin
05/10/2013, 9:15 PM
I resent that geysir. I have been at the forefront of the 'Coleman is lucky' campaign and was as shocked as anyone when that ludicrous penalty was given.

Charlie Darwin
05/10/2013, 9:52 PM
Caught out for City's equaliser today after losing Negredo's run.
Watching it again, Coleman was actually positioned properly and Distin played Negredo on. Sorry, Seamus. I meant no harm.

geysir
05/10/2013, 11:38 PM
I resent that geysir. I have been at the forefront of the 'Coleman is lucky' campaign and was as shocked as anyone when that ludicrous penalty was given.
One of those "I'm not sure if you're taking me serious or not"

But surely you didn't think Coleman would be lucky all the time? The way he chanced his luck like that with wild abandon, in most every game?

Charlie Darwin
06/10/2013, 12:03 AM
I thought his luck would last forever. I'm still shocked we haven't qualified for the World Cup.

tricky_colour
06/10/2013, 1:27 AM
Saw the 'penalty' very unlucky he barely touched him and he went down like a sack of potatoes,
hardly any contact, just a dive.

tetsujin1979
06/10/2013, 2:42 AM
I would check out those stats TC
Charlie and Tets are certainly at the top of the list of the 'biased against Coleman' suspects.umm, what?

geysir
06/10/2013, 5:24 PM
Saw the 'penalty' very unlucky he barely touched him and he went down like a sack of potatoes,
hardly any contact, just a dive.
Nevertheless, a stat is a stat, he fouled and gave away a penalty.
A black mark on his football soul.

tricky_colour
06/10/2013, 6:35 PM
Nevertheless, a stat is a stat, he fouled and gave away a penalty.
A black mark on his football soul.

True, it looks like that is reflected in his stats as he has dropped to 23rd (also his shirt number so probably he did that deliberately).

This is what I wrote earlier

That is one of his strengths, he is 16th on dribbles per game (2.2), the are players who make more dribble but
all bar one get dispossessed more often and that is Mesut Özil who makes 2.3 dribbles per game and gets disposed
0.7 times per game same as Coleman.

However now he is up to 10th on dribbles, 2.4 per game and only dispossseed 0.7 time per game. So he is now ahead of Mesut Özil who is 2.3 dribble and 1.7 dispossessed.

All those above him on dribbles have been dispossessed at least twice as often ie 1.4+

Also as he was innocent it is hardly a black mark on his soul, it is the ref who has some explaining to do at the pearly gates.

geysir
06/10/2013, 7:05 PM
Also as he was innocent it is hardly a black mark on his soul, it is the ref who has some explaining to do at the pearly gates.

That's why I specifically wrote 'a black mark on his football soul'.
Stats don't have no mercy, a black stat is a black stat.

ArdeeBhoy
06/10/2013, 7:19 PM
This is a very strange ​'debate'...

geysir
06/10/2013, 7:38 PM
There's a 99.9% chance that a non-believer would find it strange.

ArdeeBhoy
06/10/2013, 7:47 PM
'Non-believer'? In what...

geysir
06/10/2013, 7:59 PM
A non believer in stats.
Have you nothing better to do?