PDA

View Full Version : New Irish manager

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Réiteoir
19/10/2007, 9:00 AM
My top choice mentioned on here that may actually be available would be Wim Jansen - only in a technical director role at Feyenoord so may be tempted back into managment (for a fee) plus has a great record with a club with Irish links (I may be clutching at straws here) plus he's Dutch so we're bound to play great football under him!

Jansen hasn't managed in the eircom League or Carnegie though :confused:

(aka cut the crap about a certain foreign team from the country known as Scotland being somehow a bastion of the Free State. Ask yourself this question - "Where in Ireland is Glasgow?")

Dr. Ogba
19/10/2007, 9:15 AM
Jansen hasn't managed in the eircom League or Carnegie though :confused:

(aka cut the crap about a certain foreign team from the country known as Scotland being somehow a bastion of the Free State. Ask yourself this question - "Where in Ireland is Glasgow?")

hook, line and sinker......

(Apologies, just having a bit of fun to see who'd bite....:o )

colster
19/10/2007, 9:28 AM
didn't steve coppell say recently that he'd be interested

Coppell would be great if we could get him.

OwlsFan
19/10/2007, 9:36 AM
Really - as Dunphy made the point on radio this morning - if the FAI are making €10 million a game (as they did against Germany in Croke Park) - then they can afford to go after any manager in the world.

My God, if Dunphy says it, it must be true :rolleyes: By my reckoning at €70 a ticket x 70k, that makes about 5 million. Add on revenue from advertising and tv rights, a few million more. Then SUBTRACT the GAA's cut, staff, security, players' wages, accommodation etc etc etc and you won't get a figure anywhere near 10 million but let's not question Dunphy because he is the purveyor of the truth.

As for those who suggest David O'Leary, I got this e-mail from a friend:

The worrying thing is that O'Leary's name is surfacing. Please God, no!
Dave is such a hot piece of property that he's been unemployed for over a year, made a hash of Villa, bankrupted Leeds and can't even get any pundit gigs cos he's got nothing interesting to say. Insights from Cas and others about his personality said it all.

We can rule anyone out who has a job at the moment for a top club because we can't afford the 2 million plus a year they'd be looking for.

Stuttgart88
19/10/2007, 9:42 AM
Irish Times

Emmet Malone Soccer Correspondent

Euro 2008 Qualifiers News: The Football Association of Ireland stand to take in around €12 million - with estimated profits approaching €10 million - from Saturday evening's European Championship qualifier against Germany at Croke Park, comfortably the largest amount ever cleared by the association on a home game.

gustavo
19/10/2007, 9:42 AM
To be fair to him , O'Leary hardly bankrupted Leeds , as far as I know managers are employed to manage the team and over see the purchasing of players given the budget at their disposal , not oversee the financial ins and outs of the club , if he spent X million its only because he was given X million to spend , not many managers would say "no thanks you can keep your money ill deal with the players we already have"

Stuttgart88
19/10/2007, 9:43 AM
I agree about O'Leary by the way. I was so exasperated after Bratislava that I put forward O'Leary's name (mainly because I'm not sure who else is feasible) but he's a drab, self-serving creep.

OwlsFan
19/10/2007, 9:49 AM
Irish Times

Euro 2008 Qualifiers News: The Football Association of Ireland stand to take in around €12 million - with estimated profits approaching €10 million - from Saturday evening's European Championship qualifier against Germany at Croke Park, comfortably the largest amount ever cleared by the association on a home game.

Has Emmet Malone seen the books? Journalists bandy about figures but they don't stand up to scrutiny. Undoubtedly the biggest gate ever for an Irish soccer game but there are large chunks going elsewhere, not least to the proprietors of the venue. And then there are the plaques for Mick Leech and Johnny Fulham ;) Strange they chose two players from the same Rovers' team as legends but that's another story.

paul_oshea
19/10/2007, 9:49 AM
I think if we got stutts as number 1 and tets as number 2 we would be fine. The tactial nous that they would provide would "bamboozle" any defence. Motivation is the only thing I would worry about, but they could put up a picture of Jack meeting the pope as inspiration and hang it in the dressing room before very game.

THen have EB in there for the mathematical scenarios and spin, that if we lost 3 it doesn't matter cos we can beat the teams at home which is easier than beating cyprus away or something like that.....

bawn79
19/10/2007, 9:54 AM
How about a part-time manager, somebody already working in the Premier League or further afield?
Steve Coppell or Martin O'Neill as part-time managers maybe?

Just a suggestion.

eirebhoy
19/10/2007, 9:55 AM
Houllier's Lyon were excellent, both in France and in Europe.

Irish Times says Jewell is not interested but Ian Dowie is. With Dowie the FAI won't insist on keeping his image rights either.

I'd take Coppell in a heartbeat, and his name is kind of Irish, in an equine way.
That's the first mention of Dowie in this thread. I like him. You can tell he's tactically very sure listening to him on the likes of Match of the Day. I think he's the type of manager we need and would definitely be in favour of him.

Réiteoir
19/10/2007, 9:57 AM
hook, line and sinker......

(Apologies, just having a bit of fun to see who'd bite....:o )

No probs Doc :D - thought I'd get in there first and snuff anything out from the more "excitable" members

Irish Times

I rest my case - thanks for posting that Stuttgart.

Let us consider the views - someone with 23 caps for his nation, and a fairly successful 15 year career in the game, coupled with high profile media work, allied with a journalist who has access to the actual figures and the main players within the Association.

Or some apologist on an interweb forum going under a pseudonym that's more Sheffield than Sligo.

I know whose views I'd take as more relevant - the so called "purveyor of truth" seems to speak a lot more sense and looks like he knows what exactly is transpiring in this situation ...

Stuttgart88
19/10/2007, 9:59 AM
Even if it was only EUR 5 million, that's a lot of money from one game.

Drumcondra 69er
19/10/2007, 10:11 AM
No probs Doc :D - thought I'd get in there first and snuff anything out from the more "excitable" members

I rest my case - thanks for posting that Stuttgart.

Let us consider the views - someone with 23 caps for his nation, and a fairly successful 15 year career in the game, coupled with high profile media work, allied with a journalist who has access to the actual figures and the main players within the Association.

Or some apologist on an interweb forum going under a pseudonym that's more Sheffield than Sligo.

I know whose views I'd take as more relevant - the so called "purveyor of truth" seems to speak a lot more sense and looks like he knows what exactly is transpiring in this situation ...

Dunphy's spinning figures here though, yes the FAI made around €10m from the Germany game but nearly half of that came from selling TV rights, saying they make €10m a game is nonsense, they'd be lucky to pull that once a campaign and half that on average. That's still more then enough to pay top whack for a manager though if they were prepared to do it.

Midlandsred
19/10/2007, 10:28 AM
what about peter reid?:D

has a nice irish name and im sure he would only be too delighted to manage Ireland.

then of course there is Joe kinnear,

citizenerased
19/10/2007, 10:28 AM
that is true they sold the tv right to the germans for 5m, but they only sold the tv rights to the cypriots for 50,000,

citizenerased
19/10/2007, 10:30 AM
Houllier lads...we want houllier, a very realistic target in my view...forget tgetting an irish manager, i couldnt stomach o'learys excuses

BradyIsMyHero
19/10/2007, 10:57 AM
Interesting piece in Boys in Green site:

O’Leary warm favourite for Irish role

October 19, 2007

David O’Leary has emerged as the warm favourite to take over from Steve Staunton as Republic of Ireland manager.

Staunton’s future is expected to be resolved by an FAI Board of Management meeting in the coming days as the fall-out continues from Wednesday’s 1-1 draw at home to Cyprus – the latest in a string of dismal performances under Stan’s reign.

And O’Leary, who won 68 senior caps in a 17-year international career between 1976 and 1993, is the bookmakers’ favourite to land the top job.

The 49-year-old Dubliner has plenty of top flight experience from his time in charge of Leeds United and Aston Villa, leading the Elland Road side to the semi-finals of the Uefa Champions League in 2001 before helping Villa to sixth place in the Premiership in his first season in charge in 2004.

O’Leary, who has been out of football since being ousted from the Villa hotseat in the summer of 2006, is listed as 3 to 1 favourite to be the next permanent Irish manager in some bookies’ lists.

Also figuring prominently in the betting is O’Leary’s former Irish teammate John Aldridge, ex-Wigan manager Paul Jewell and Graeme Souness, who has managed Rangers, Liverpool, Blackburn and Newcastle and boasts a high profile in Ireland from his work as an RTE analyst over the past 18 months.

Outsiders of note include another ex-Liverpool boss, Gerard Houllier, who is available for work having parted company with Lyon in the summer, and Dutch trio Louis van Gaal, Ruud Gullit and Ronald Koeman.

Next permanent Ireland manager:

David O’Leary 3-1
John Aldridge 7-1
Paul Jewell 7-1
Graeme Souness 7-1
Steve Coppell 16-1
George Graham 16-1
Roy Keane 18-1
Ray Houghton 18-1
Chris Hughton 20-1
Martin O’Neill 20-1
Louis van Gaal 20-1
Liam Brady 20-1
Martin Allen 22-1
Peter Reid 25-1
Ron Atkinson 25-1
Glenn Hoddle 25-1
Kevin Moran 33-1
Mick McCarthy 33-1
Kevin Keegan 33-1
Don Givens 33-1
Glenn Roeder 33-1
Stephen Kenny 33-1
John Sheridan 33-1
Johnny Giles 33-1
Gerard Houllier 40-1
Ronald Koeman 50-1
Didier Deschamps 50-1
Ruud Gullit 50-1
John Toshack 50-1
Steve McClaren 66-1
Brian Kerr 80-1
Eamon Dunphy 200-1
Jack Charlton 500-1

NeilMcD
19/10/2007, 11:01 AM
Desperately seeking international manager: Applications from candidates with a proven track record only please
Tools

* Print Print
* Email Email

Search Search Go

By Liam Kelly
Friday October 19 2007

WANTED: New Soccer manager for the Republic of Ireland team.

Successful Applicant requirements:

(A) As a minimum, he must have a proven track record of managerial experience of top club level in England/Europe.

(B) Preferably have been an international team manager.

(C) Have a few medals and achievements on his CV as a player and/or manager.

(D) Be clear in his own mind how he wants to structure his team.

(E) Show consistency in approach to selecting players for squads and teams.

(F) Have a record of motivating average to good players so they knit together into a unit that can perform consistently to a level greater than the sum of its individual parts.

(G) Be prepared to organise the players into the type of spirit that is more accustomed to a club side and bring any big time Charlies to the realisation that they must earn their place in the team and not be in on reputation or past glories.

(H) Accept a two year contract that will not be discussed until after the culmination of the campaign for qualification for South Africa.

(I) Be able to do the job himself, and not rely on a "mentor" to justify his appointment.

(J) Bring a credible backroom team to the job.

Ironically, setting out the criteria for a replacement for Steve Staunton is the easy part.

It's far more difficult to see how the FAI can be trusted to deliver a manager that has credibility with the players and the public, given their performance over Staunton's appointment.

The flaws were inherent once John Delaney came to power and signalled the end of Brian Kerr's reign.

The word from the FAI was we needed the "passion" put back into the team, and ultimately it was heart and emotion rather than clear-sighted logic that ended with an untried manager at any level getting the pivotal role in Irish football.

It has cost the Association and fans dearly, and they are better off cutting their losses now before the situation worsens.

Money is central to everything the FAI achieves as custodians of Irish Soccer.

They derive their income from the fans who not only pay for tickets but indirectly contribute by buying expensive branded jerseys.

TV money also depends on the team having a market value with viewers.

Sponsors only want to associate with successful brands that have a positive relationship with the public.

The problem now is that public confidence has been eroded by the clumsy learning curve on which Staunton has embarked, courtesy of naive FAI leadership.

To an extent, it's the FAI choice that is more to blame than the former international stalwart whose ambitions overrode his abilities to manage.

Staunton might be a brilliant manager in 10 years time if somebody entrusts him with a club job, but he has shot his bolt with this one.

Sacking him would be expensive, but the cost to the FAI if they refuse to remove Staunton will be greater in the long run than if they agree a compensation deal now.

And then they must be prepared to pay a realistic wage to attract a manager of the highest calibre.

I would feel though, that first they need to organise a group of professional advisors to assess potential candidates.

The likes of John Giles and Liam Brady could be invited to have an input as part of a head-hunting panel, and possibly Alex Ferguson should be approached for his advice.

As for potential candidates, we know it's not an easy task, but it's certainly not impossible.

Martin O'Neill turned it down two years ago; David O'Leary also opted out and of course Alex Ferguson decided to stay on with Man United.

Frenchman Philippe Troussier, former manager of Japan, South Africa and Nigeria at the time was keen but didn't find favour.

Any job selection is a potential minefield, and you need a touch of luck, such as the weird FAI voting which resulted in Jack Charlton getting the Irish job in 1986.

Northern Ireland also got lucky with Lawrie Sanchez who raised the profile of a squad of no hopers before he took over Fulham, and Alex McLeish has maintained the impetus for Scotland that began under Walter Smith.

No doubt Dave O'Leary, John Aldridge, Frank Stapleton and Ronnie Whelan will figure in the speculation when the FAI and/or Staunton bite the bullet.

Each of these former Irish stars has managed, but O'Leary didn't get any of the jobs that were going once he became available from Aston Villa and Aldridge, Stapleton and Whelan have been out of management for some time.

Paul Jewell looks like he's set for Bolton but he could be an outside candidate, although the preference should be for a man who has done it at international level.

- Liam Kelly

paul_oshea
19/10/2007, 11:01 AM
Louis van Gaal, Ruud Gullit and Ronald Koeman

Anyone of those 3 before oleary please. Id actually be very happy with koeman. He strikes me as someone who would take no sh1te from anyone and could really bring on stephen reid too.

Jerry The Saint
19/10/2007, 11:10 AM
WANTED: New Soccer manager for the Republic of Ireland team.

Successful Applicant requirements:

(A) As a minimum, he must have a proven track record of managerial experience of top club level in England/Europe.

Why the need for the redundant bit in bold:confused: Tells you everything about the attitude to the game in this country.

(C) Have a few medals and achievements on his CV as a player and/or manager.

I would have thought people have learned the difference at this stage - what did Wenger, Mourinho acheive as a player? A lot less than Staunton. I'll be disgusted if we still need to give this bunch of overpaid players one of their childhood heroes to keep them motivated. "Show my your medals!" indeed. :rolleyes:

eelmonster
19/10/2007, 11:20 AM
What about Lawrie Sanchez? :D

tomred23
19/10/2007, 11:20 AM
Would Chris Hughton be a good mananger, as i am sure the FAI will pay the big bucks for a manager with a proven track record and with the mess at spurs at the moment he might not have a job soon.

Ordinary Fan
19/10/2007, 11:22 AM
The first thing to do is to draw up a list of the people who should not get the job with Bryan Robson top of that list, followed by Peter Reid and big fat Ron.

Steve Coppel is getting loads of space, even though he has no european manageral experience and walked ot of Man City after 40 days due to stress. With the FAI and the glory boys in the Irish setup he would hardly last a week.

Strangly I think the Irish Job would be quite attractive, as everyone is at such a low ebb at the moment a new manager would be welcomed with open arms. There is a good nucleus that a good manager could exploite without setting the world alight.
The problem is that manay of the better suggestions would have to be approached as they would not apply for the job.

Anyone who is to be considered for the role should give details of their coaching staff, this is the area which contributed to Stans problems with tactics and organisation. The manager is the focus of the media but it is often the coaching staff who have the biggest impact on the players.

tomred23
19/10/2007, 11:26 AM
I do not think any manager in charge of a permiership team is going to leave their post to take the Irelang job, it would be a drop in wages. We have to be looking at a out of work manager. I agree that the FAI should approach the managers.

Réiteoir
19/10/2007, 11:30 AM
I demand the managerial dream team of Roddy Collins and Sean Connor - with Gareth Farrelly as Motivational and Fitness Coach

Failing that - Graham Taylor or John Barnes

lofty9
19/10/2007, 11:37 AM
Don't be expecting any big names to be interviewed. It'll be someone cheap and cheerful again. To be honest it has to be someone that is currently employed though, so the FAI will have to pay some compo. All those out of work are out of favour for this job IMO except Jewell (who'll be at Bolton). O'leary, Aldridge, Graham etc - not for me, Houllier too expensive for the FAI. If we are being realistic with costs, I wouldn't mind someone like George Burley being approached. He did enough at Ipswich and Hearts for me, at Southampton I think he's doing ok considering finances there.

Stuttgart88
19/10/2007, 11:40 AM
Would Chris Hughton be a good mananger, as i am sure the FAI will pay the big bucks for a manager with a proven track record and with the mess at spurs at the moment he might not have a job soon.
I've always felt that if Kerr was criticised for poor substitutions and intra game tactical responses then Hughton has to be culpable too.

Drumcondra 69er
19/10/2007, 11:55 AM
I've always felt that if Kerr was criticised for poor substitutions and intra game tactical responses then Hughton has to be culpable too.

No so. He was a number 2, totally different, he's there to support and suggest but the decision always rests with the manager. Not that I'm touting O'Leary but look at the difference in the style of football played at Leeds under George Graham with O'Leary as his number 2 and that played when DOL took over.

However, Hughton has no experience of managing in his own right and much as I'm a fan of him as a coach should not be considered for the top job for a second. We need experience to move us on from the current fiasco.

citizenerased
19/10/2007, 12:14 PM
we really need to be offering a salary of 1m+, that is standard of international football considering the less day to day work involved...i think international management would suit houllier..bit of pocket money for him..feck the ex ireland pro route...road to nowhere imho

Nipper
19/10/2007, 12:17 PM
I think we should give it to Paul Dempsey from Setanta. With Jamie Redknapp as his assistant.

Noelys Guitar
19/10/2007, 12:18 PM
At least half the Irish football community would be put on suicide watch if O'Leary got the job. Pure bookies nonsense putting him at 2-1. Nor will the likes of Aldridge get a look in. As I suggested yesterday the way to go is to ask the Wenger's, Brady's, Hiddinks, Mourinho's for advice on picking the new manager. Beenhakker and hodsgon have to be considered for their records as international managers. Of those in jobs then Burley, Copell, Coleman, and John Collins are posibilites. Out of work then Jewell, Gullitt and yes O'leary but I hope not.

Stuttgart88
19/10/2007, 12:20 PM
None of our esteemed ex-players (or even ordinary ones) have made the grade really in management. O'Leary did OK for a while, Aldo did OK but a long time back. Houghton quit coaching at Palace cos he said the young kids' attitude was terrible. Hughton has always been a number 2. Sheridan seems to be doing ok but a long way short of being an international manager. Keane seems to be doing well and McCarthy is doing a good job IMHO.

The Scots seem to have no shortage of decent managers at a good level. Strachan, Smith, McLeish, Moyes, Burley, Sir Alex of course...

NeilMcD
19/10/2007, 12:22 PM
Totally agree with you Noely both you and you guitar are right.

Sligo Hornet
19/10/2007, 12:31 PM
FAI can't afford O'Leary. He's yesterday's man any. Plus, Leeds are still paying him.

Surely that stopped once they went into administration and the new Company were formed by Bates?....can't see Uncle Ken paying NOW for others past mistakes!

RogerMilla
19/10/2007, 12:34 PM
not to mention FAI are sitting on a pile of cash , they could afford anyone

Wolfie
At least half the Irish football community would be put on suicide watch if O'Leary got the job. Pure bookies nonsense putting him at 2-1. Nor will the likes of Aldridge get a look in. As I suggested yesterday the way to go is to ask the Wenger's, Brady's, Hiddinks, Mourinho's for advice on picking the new manager. Beenhakker and hodsgon have to be considered for their records as international managers. Of those in jobs then Burley, Copell, Coleman, and John Collins are posibilites. Out of work then Jewell, Gullitt and yes O'leary but I hope not.

You can sing that one in G minor, Noely.

The ex player with limited / zero experience and achievement is not whats required.

RogerMilla
£1.7m was his pay off. Maybe he can advise Staunton on how to get piles of money for being utterly inept.

no he cant , stan seems to know how to that already !

geysir
19/10/2007, 12:57 PM
The doubt about a Johnny Foreigner is that they could be inclined to move on fast enough.
Hard to tell, even with a manager like Sven, excellent with Gothenburg, cautious with England and now supposedly reborn, a revelation at Man City so far.
I had to laugh at what Ray Houghton was saying about his ears being sore at the end of a game having to listen at all the bollocking directed at him by about 6 of the players to get into position, to close down to pass the ball properly etc.
His point being that even a good manager needs players on the pitch to direct the game and that's whats seriously lacking in our team (obvious when without Carsley).
Ray doesn't rate the new generation at all :)

Wolfie
19/10/2007, 1:04 PM
I had to laugh at what Ray Houghton was saying about his ears being sore at the end of a game having to listen at all the bollocking directed at him by about 6 of the players to get into position, to close down to pass the ball properly etc.
His point being that even a good manager needs players on the pitch to direct the game and that's whats seriously lacking in our team (obvious when without Carsley).
Ray doesn't rate the new generation at all :)

Something discussed previously but worth reiterating that Houghton was among a group of players who displayed a maturity, commitment and "moral courage" that has not been present within the team for the last 5 to 6 years.

I can always recall how the likes of Townsend, Houghton, Moran etc often cajoled and demanded more effort from the players around them in an Ireland shirt. They were all committed to the cause.

RogerMilla
19/10/2007, 1:27 PM
I can always recall how the likes of Townsend, Houghton, Moran etc often cajoled and demanded more effort from the players around them in an Ireland shirt. They were all committed to the cause.

its almost a mantra for me , we need another andy townsend...

geysir
19/10/2007, 1:31 PM
Paul Jewell will be Bolton's boss by Monday, so scrub him off the odds list.
Looks like Bolton want anybody but Jewell, First they wanted Bruce then Megson and now Coleman.

Closed Account 2
19/10/2007, 1:54 PM
I'm suprised Brian Little hasn't been listed as a possibility...

Irish_Praha
19/10/2007, 1:58 PM
Mike Newell

There's a fan of Irish football from Argentina, who appears on the various forums, when we are going through a bad patch, with suggestions on how we could improve.
He has suggested Carlos Bianchi as our new manager.
He has an excellent club record in Argentina but wasn't very successfull in European football. Maybe he has a communication problem with people from outside of Argentina? Or perhaps he suffers from home sickness?
Anyway, might be worth a shot. He's free at the moment too.
http://footballdatabase.com/index.php?page=manager&Id=4&mn=Carlos_Bianchi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Bianchi

NeilMcD
19/10/2007, 1:59 PM
Does he speak English.

Irish_Praha
19/10/2007, 2:08 PM
I don't know :o

geysir
19/10/2007, 2:12 PM
That would be a new requirement for the job then.

cavan_fan
19/10/2007, 2:20 PM
None of our esteemed ex-players (or even ordinary ones) have made the grade really in management. O'Leary did OK for a while, Aldo did OK but a long time back. Houghton quit coaching at Palace cos he said the young kids' attitude was terrible. Hughton has always been a number 2. Sheridan seems to be doing ok but a long way short of being an international manager. Keane seems to be doing well and McCarthy is doing a good job IMHO.

The Scots seem to have no shortage of decent managers at a good level. Strachan, Smith, McLeish, Moyes, Burley, Sir Alex of course...

I dont knwo why we are classing O'Leary and Alrdidge in the same breath. Aldridge's star act was a good run in the League Cup. O'Leary got a team to the semi's of the Champions League. I know he can be a bit of an arse but he is the outstanding Irish candidate.

Drumcondra 69er
19/10/2007, 2:26 PM
I dont knwo why we are classing O'Leary and Alrdidge in the same breath. Aldridge's star act was a good run in the League Cup. O'Leary got a team to the semi's of the Champions League. I know he can be a bit of an arse but he is the outstanding Irish candidate.

Playing devil's advocate here but you could argue that at least Aldridge got a team to a major final which O'Leary never managed to do despite having how much bigger of a budget?

paul_oshea
19/10/2007, 2:28 PM
in fairness, considering every manager we've had has been progressively worse, the only logical one to be next is O'Dreary.